PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's Clayton doesn't think Miami will go WR in Round 1

mnphinfan
12-16-2009, 03:59 PM
Here's a response from Clayton as to what he thinks the Fins will do in the 1st round of the draft.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=4747469

A: Bill Parcells doesn't like taking wide receivers in the first round. It's not out of the question for the Dolphins to continue to look along the offensive line in the first round or add a defensive lineman. You'd have to figure they'd be looking for a wide receiver and maybe a backup tight end in Rounds 2 through 4. Parcells and the coaching staff are finding out they have a pretty good quarterback in Chad Henne (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=11291), so they must get him a better stable of receivers. Parcells just isn't big on using a first-round pick on a receiver. Never has been. Never will be.

I don't know about us looking for an o-lineman in the first round, but I could definitely see up looking for a LB both inside and outside.

I highly doubt we draft a WR in the first, especially if we sign a FA WR such as: Antonio Bryant, Miles Austin, Steve Breaston or Jason Avant.

DefensiveEnd76
12-16-2009, 04:03 PM
With Ronnie Brown suffering injuries like he does and Ricky getting old and saying he's only going to play through the 2010 season we need to look at a running back!!!!

Dolphin Dave
I agree, ILB or OLB

TedSlimmJr
The bust rate for 1st round WR's this decade is astronomical....always has been. Always will be.

Although I don't know why Miami would be looking for a backup tight end in rounds 2-4.....the roster and practice squad is already full of back up tight ends...

They need an athletic TE who can create a true mismatch for opposing defenses....

NYCphan
12-16-2009, 04:16 PM
If you've built a good OL, which is what he's been doing, I don't think there's much reason to go for a RB in the 1st round either.

FinAtic8480
12-16-2009, 04:20 PM
I asked Schefter the other day if he saw Miami signing Miles Austin in FA. He sent me a direct mesage on twitter saying that he expects Jerry Jones to sign him, but if he hits FA that he expects Miami to make a push. As you all know it was Parcels & company who discovered him. I also have to agree with Shef that a WR wont be taken with our 1st. The fins could once again be drafting in the 20s & I dont think there will be a true starting WR at that spot that can come in and start right away.

FinNutZ
12-16-2009, 04:25 PM
If is not Dez Bryant, we should go ILB , NT, we need more preasure in there, so our corners can make better plays on the ball. Breston, Austin, Floyd,V.Jackson,Hixon, all FAs, and we can get a decent WRs in the second round, have you seen Mikes Walace speed 3rd round pick for PIT. yes he has drop some passes but he still a rookie. And if we pick Golden Tate in the first round ill kill somebody, I dont care if he is the next Steve Smith, no more short receivers.

FinAtic8480
12-16-2009, 04:27 PM
I could see them go ILB, OLB, NT & even possibly TE

haoleboy
12-16-2009, 04:33 PM
Gotta be NT/DE or ILB early on. We've got enough TE's to make due, and Clemens is the future at Saftey. We'll bring in a WR (maybe not a true #1) in FA.

Roman529
12-16-2009, 04:36 PM
I don't see us taking a WR in the first round either....by the time we pick, Bryant and Tate will probably both be off the board....we could maybe get Gilyard in round two, but we have bigger needs, especially at the LB spot.

3rdandinches
12-16-2009, 04:46 PM
I wouldn`t be surprised if we don`t go wr in any round. We have enough young receivers already, it`s time to add a vet. We need 2 OLB`s, ILB, FS, NT and I strongly suspect that we will draft either a ILB (Spikes) or OLB (Hughes) in the first.

4THand10
12-16-2009, 05:03 PM
It was posted before by someone that showed all of the teams Parcells has been with, he has always drafted a LB in the 1st round.

I could see 2010 the year the Fins draft a LB in the 1st round.

BenchFiedler
12-16-2009, 05:09 PM
With Ronnie Brown suffering injuries like he does and Ricky getting old and saying he's only going to play through the 2010 season we need to look at a running back!!!!

Ricky will be back next year...Ronnie will be fine

How about Cobbs, Hilliard, K. Sheets...

Running Back is the least of our problems right now !!!

tay0365
12-16-2009, 05:10 PM
IMHO (in exact order of importance)

I-LB
DT(NT)
S
O-LB
WR
O-Guard or Center
RB

JT-forpresident
12-16-2009, 05:16 PM
The bust rate for 1st round WR's this decade is astronomical....always has been. Always will be.

Although I don't know why Miami would be looking for a backup tight end in rounds 2-4.....the roster and practice squad is already full of back up tight ends...

They need an athletic TE who can create a true mismatch for opposing defenses....

couldn't agree more on the TE thing...

they just seem to be all #2 material, and adequate starters.... fasano seems to be the only one with a lot of potential but he's so inconsistent, you can't help but wonder if that's ever gonna change...

a big, reliable TE who can create mismatches would be the greatest thing we could get for chad henne in 2010 IMO ...

obviously, giving him a legitimate #1 WR who's physical, fast and sure handed, would be even better, but :
1- they're hard to find in the draft, there's no such thing as a sure pick at WR (with some rare exceptions obviously)
2- getting a WR like that via a trade will cost a lot to this team, and set it back more than anything IMO...

If jermaine gresham is still around in round 1, i don't think we'll pass him up (the availability of spikes and McClain could give a little twist to the enigma though )

mnphinfan
12-16-2009, 05:18 PM
It was posted before by someone that showed all of the teams Parcells has been with, he has always drafted a LB in the 1st round.

I could see 2010 the year the Fins draft a LB in the 1st round.

Here is a list of his picks from 1993 on. I would say it's safe to say he doesn't draft a LB every year round 1 but that BP does like himself some LB's and he will draft them more times than not.

2008-#1 Jake Long T
2006-#18 Bobby Carpenter LB
2005-#11 DeMarcus Ware OLB
2005-#20 Marcus Spears DE
2003-#5 Terrance Newman CB
1997-#8 James Farrior OLB
1996-#7 Terry Glenn WR
1995-#23 Ty Law CB
1994-#4 Willie McGinest OLB
1993-#1 Drew Bledsdoe QB

greasyObnoxious
12-16-2009, 05:18 PM
no offense, but that's some real shocking insight by Clayton

phinfreak
12-16-2009, 05:22 PM
Running back is becoming a 'need' now with back to back (not consecutive seasons) season ending injuries to Ronnie Brown.

NT is a key need as well as ILB.

72champagne
12-16-2009, 05:23 PM
We're overloaded as it is with defensive ends & outside linebackers. What the hell are you people talking about?

greasyObnoxious
12-16-2009, 05:23 PM
We're overloaded as it is with defensive ends & outside linebackers. What the hell are you people talking about?

lol

72champagne
12-16-2009, 05:30 PM
And how many more trillions of dollars are we going to put into the offensive line? ANOTHER 1st round offensive lineman? Ludicrous. Clayton didn't even look at the team, just spouting off about Bill.

mnphinfan
12-16-2009, 05:32 PM

DE's yes we are set at, but at OLB and ILB no.

For OLB's we are technically down to two over the hill's, 2 possible never will be's , and 1 with a ton of potential. I would say it's safe to say we are not set at OLB just yet.

As for ILB I just think the FO will really try to upgrade this position. If we as fans aren't satisfied with the playmaking ability of Crowder, Ayodele, and Torbor, I don't think the FO is as well. I could really see us drafting a MLB round 1 and releasing Ayodele.

phinfreak
12-16-2009, 05:34 PM

Our 2 starting OLB are long in the tooth...end stage of their careers.

"What the hell are you talking about?"

rev kev
12-16-2009, 05:35 PM
NT, ILB, OLB, S, TE = big needs

BobDole
12-16-2009, 05:36 PM
I wouldn`t be surprised if we don`t go wr in any round. We have enough young receivers already, it`s time to add a vet. We need 2 OLB`s, ILB, FS, NT and I strongly suspect that we will draft either a ILB (Spikes) or OLB (Hughes) in the first.

agreed. with the addition of a true #1 in FA (a must) we'd be fine at WR. spikes, mcclain, or hughes in the first would be ideal.

72champagne
12-16-2009, 05:37 PM
DE's yes we are set at, but at OLB and ILB no.

For OLB's we are technically down to two over the hill's, 2 possible never will be's , and 1 with a ton of potential. I would say it's safe to say we are not set at OLB just yet.

As for ILB I just think the FO will really try to upgrade this position. If we as fans aren't satisfied with the playmaking ability of Crowder, Ayodele, and Torbor, I don't think the FO is as well. I could really see us drafting a MLB round 1 and releasing Ayodele.
2 possibles plus 1 ton of potential plus two over the hills you can't/won't get rid of equals you don't draft that in the 1st round when the middle of the field (ilb/safeties) is a desert.

Fins_of_Fury
12-16-2009, 05:40 PM
1 word this offseason DEFENSE. We have got to straighten out this D.

4THand10
12-16-2009, 05:41 PM
Here is a list of his picks from 1993 on. I would say it's safe to say he doesn't draft a LB every year round 1 but that BP does like himself some LB's and he will draft them more times than not.

2008-#1 Jake Long T
2006-#18 Bobby Carpenter LB
2005-#11 DeMarcus Ware OLB
2005-#20 Marcus Spears DE
2003-#5 Terrance Newman CB
1997-#8 James Farrior OLB
1996-#7 Terry Glenn WR
1995-#23 Ty Law CB
1994-#4 Willie McGinest OLB
1993-#1 Drew Bledsdoe QB

I am not saying he drafts a LB in the 1st round every year.All I am saying is Parcells has always at least once drafted a LB in the 1st round with every team he has been with.

TedSlimmJr
12-16-2009, 05:44 PM
2 possibles plus 1 ton of potential plus two over the hills you can't/won't get rid of equals you don't draft that in the 1st round when the middle of the field (ilb/safeties) is a desert.

Why wouldn't you get rid of JT.....what's the plan.... prop him up on stilts and stick him on the field?

With no new CBA....Porter can be jettisoned and cut your losses with no cap implications...

While the middle of the field is certainly void of adequate talent....it's unwise to draft need over talent....and there's going to be some stout talent available the could upgrade the OLB spot in the 1st round...

dolfan91
12-16-2009, 05:48 PM
We all need to remember something very important about the UNCAPPED year ... and that is; IF Miami somehow makes the playoffs, they will be UNABLE to sign ANY F/A unless they lose one 1st ... that will hamper this teams ability to improve somewhat through F/A!!!

mnphinfan
12-16-2009, 05:51 PM
I am not saying he drafts a LB in the 1st round every year.All I am saying is Parcells has always at least once drafted a LB in the 1st round with every team he has been with.

I know, I was just putting a list up of his draft picks since 1993. I didn't mean to discredit you but actually emphasize the point that more often than not BP will draft an OLB/DE hybrid type player.

72champagne
12-16-2009, 05:58 PM
Why wouldn't you get rid of JT.....what's the plan.... prop him up on stilts and stick him on the field?

With no new CBA....Porter can be jettisoned and cut your losses with no cap implications...

While the middle of the field is certainly void of adequate talent....it's unwise to draft need over talent....and there's going to be some stout talent available the could upgrade the OLB spot in the 1st round...
fine by me. the first thread i made in the spring was not to bring JT or Noodle back and the whole board cried blasphemy. Porter can pack his bags too. if what we need isn't in the 1st, trade it or we'll have the same issues crying about tight ends and passes over the middle & deep next year.

VA_Finfan
12-16-2009, 06:05 PM
no one knows who we are going to get except the FO. I hate it when these so called "experts" say who each team will draft. its ridiculous. Mel Kiper Jr. oh man, if i had a gun with only 2 bullets in it, i'd shoot both of his kneecaps, i hate that guy

qmar
12-16-2009, 06:14 PM
Gotta be NT/DE or ILB early on. We've got enough TE's to make due, and Clemens is the future at Saftey. We'll bring in a WR (maybe not a true #1) in FA.

NT yes, DE no. We have 4 guys rotating at DE (and all are pretty young and have excelled this year). We don't need to waste a 1st round pick on another DE.

Go get a NT or ILB. I wouldn't mind a ball hawking safety either. We haven't had one of those in a looong time. A defense can be transformed with a ball hawking safety.

mnphinfan
12-16-2009, 06:17 PM

If you would have actually read the entire post you would have read that I predicted us to pick a MLB in the first round of the draft. I would be happy with McClain, Spikes or Lee depending on our draft position.

However, you can't really predict who we are going to draft until the season is over and you know what the draft order is and who is coming out. As an example let's say we have the 20th pick in the draft and because of rumor's before, during, and after the combine of having a poor attitute, bad work ethic, and lying to the NCAA Dez Bryant draft stock begins to fall and during the draft he falls to us. Does the FO pull the trigger. I think so, kind of like what happen with Vontae.

You know Chris Mortenson (aka Bill Parcells personal media outlet) was the one who leaked that information. Who knows maybe he will do his friend Parcells another favor and get another top rated player to drop for us in next years draft as well.

72champagne
12-16-2009, 06:47 PM
maybe but teams don't much like drafting ilb's in the first round. when you'll draft pat white in the second i lose faith i can predict anything but i'll go with a safety or trade for more picks at this point.

mnphinfan
12-16-2009, 06:57 PM
maybe but teams don't much like drafting ilb's in the first round. when you'll draft pat white in the second i lose faith i can predict anything but i'll go with a safety or trade for more picks at this point.

It would be nice to come out of the first with either Berry or Mays, but I just don't see them lasting to us based on where we are projected to pick right now. However, if we lose out and go 7-9 (which I would hate to see happen) we may have a shot.

The Furminister
12-16-2009, 07:16 PM
Its gonna be a Linebacker/Runningback draft

MrEd
12-16-2009, 08:06 PM

Nah, I think they drafted Hilliard and Parmalee a few years back with that in mind already. Hilliard stuck, Parmalee didn't. But I think they are going to give Kory Sheets a chance to stick in Parmalee's place as that fast change of pace back. Not to mention we will be getting Cobbs back too.

So re-signing Ronnie Brown, with Hilliard, Sheets, and Cobbs splitting time is the future. We aight...:up:

MrEd
12-16-2009, 08:11 PM
NT yes, DE no. We have 4 guys rotating at DE (and all are pretty young and have excelled this year). We don't need to waste a 1st round pick on another DE.

Go get a NT or ILB. I wouldn't mind a ball hawking safety either. We haven't had one of those in a looong time. A defense can be transformed with a ball hawking safety.

I think that our 1st round pick will be either an OLB to eventually replace Porter or BPA. Free Agency will determine what our needs will actually be though. If they fill all or most of our main needs via FA, we will definitely have BPA throughout the draft. But I think it will be a WOLB.

MrEd
12-16-2009, 08:15 PM
no one knows who we are going to get except the FO. I hate it when these so called "experts" say who each team will draft. its ridiculous. Mel Kiper Jr. oh man, if i had a gun with only 2 bullets in it, i'd shoot both of his kneecaps, i hate that guy

Watch out, man. With this new Administration and the nuts in our Homeland Security Department, that could be considered hate speech or terroristic threats and be charged with some felonies...so be careful. Hate to see a fellow phinfan done like that...:buds:

R_t_Kraken
12-16-2009, 08:18 PM
That doesn't even make sense. Why would be looking for a linemen in the first round. I could see us adding some depth on both lines, but you don't use first day picks for that in my opinion. We're looking for players who can be impact starters.

We need to revamp the entire LB corps in my opinion.

ILB
OLB
WR
S
TE

BPA out of those positions should be our draft plan.

MrEd
12-16-2009, 08:20 PM

I agree with the DE part, but we're not overloaded at OLB. Jason Taylor will be 36 next season and Porter 33. I'd say we are in need of another OLB.

Cameron Wake will eventually be one of the starting OLBs, but on the other side we merely have Charlie Anderson and backing Wake up would be Quentin Moses. I'd say we need at least one more "starting" caliber type guy that can develop into a star.

jvw
12-16-2009, 08:57 PM
I think OLB, ILB, TE in the first 3 rounds then take the best player available after that. The way these guys draft I wouldnt be surprised if the drafted an OLB then a DE who they will convert to an OLB then TE and find a ILB in FA........

baseballcb95
12-16-2009, 09:56 PM
any chance cody or williams is there in the 2nd?
Dream Draft-
Rolando Mcclain, ILB
Golden Tate, WR
Greg Jones, OLB
Aaron Hernandez, TE

Sign-
One of- Antonio Bryant, Brandon Marshall, VJAX, Miles Austin
C. Hampton
and Ruud or another good/great ILB

That makes both our offense and defense sick.

LB core- Jones, Mcclain, Ruud?, Wake
Dline- Starks, Merling, Mcdaniel, Langford, Hampton, Soliai
WR/TE- Antonio Bryant, Golden Tate, Davone Bess, Aaron Hernandez, Anthony Fasano

Dont upgrade the stadium! cut/trade- porter and crowder.

baseballcb95
12-16-2009, 09:58 PM
that makes us superbowl contenders, imo favorites? definitely divison favorites.

SQuinn17
12-16-2009, 11:03 PM
I don't see us taking a WR in the first round either....by the time we pick, Bryant and Tate will probably both be off the board....we could maybe get Gilyard in round two, but we have bigger needs, especially at the LB spot.
Gilyard is pretty damn good, if we could get him in the 2nd...sign him up.

72champagne
12-16-2009, 11:05 PM
I agree with the DE part, but we're not overloaded at OLB. Jason Taylor will be 36 next season and Porter 33. I'd say we are in need of another OLB.

Cameron Wake will eventually be one of the starting OLBs, but on the other side we merely have Charlie Anderson and backing Wake up would be Quentin Moses. I'd say we need at least one more "starting" caliber type guy that can develop into a star.
i agree but if you're going to commit to keep paying Porter & Taylor with those backups I don't see drafting an OLB in the first round making sense with our other needs being so dire.

Dajesus
12-16-2009, 11:50 PM
You have to look at what we need out of a WR and where we are picking. You have to figure we will pick late in the 1st. We have 5 WRs on our team right now that are #2 WR talent, but we lack a true number that is a deep threat. Who can we get late in round 1 that could bring that to the table? Dez White of Ok St is the best prospect at WR, but he will be gone in the top 10, and is a huge gamble as he did not play this season. Safety,LB, and TE is a position you can usually get one of the top 2-3 prospects at the position in the early 20s, ala us getting the top CB in the draft at #25 in Davis. I could see us going DT if Cody drops to us, but other wise I think Parcels take the best player available at FS, ILB, or TE. I doubt it, but if a RB that Parcels has very highly rated drops to us, and we do not sign Williams or Brown then RB would be the long shot of what we take. I would not be surprised if do not draft a single WR in the draft. Our 5 we have on the roster are very solid. Cam and Bess are both solid #2 or #3 guys. Hartline is looking very solid to give both them a run for their money next year at #2 or #3. Ginn is fine for a #4 guy/KR, and Turner can be our 5th or 6th WR with potential. They are all young, so there is no point of bringing anyone in unless they will fill our #1 WR spot.

SR 7
12-17-2009, 12:01 AM
You have to look at what we need out of a WR and where we are picking. You have to figure we will pick late in the 1st. We have 5 WRs on our team right now that are #2 WR talent, but we lack a true number that is a deep threat. Who can we get late in round 1 that could bring that to the table? Dez White of Ok St is the best prospect at WR, but he will be gone in the top 10, and is a huge gamble as he did not play this season. Safety,LB, and TE is a position you can usually get one of the top 2-3 prospects at the position in the early 20s, ala us getting the top CB in the draft at #25 in Davis. I could see us going DT if Cody drops to us, but other wise I think Parcels take the best player available at FS, ILB, or TE. I doubt it, but if a RB that Parcels has very highly rated drops to us, and we do not sign Williams or Brown then RB would be the long shot of what we take. I would not be surprised if do not draft a single WR in the draft. Our 5 we have on the roster are very solid. Cam and Bess are both solid #2 or #3 guys. Hartline is looking very solid to give both them a run for their money next year at #2 or #3. Ginn is fine for a #4 guy/KR, and Turner can be our 5th or 6th WR with potential. They are all young, so there is no point of bringing anyone in unless they will fill our #1 WR spot.

You have a good point, either way we will have a high pick bc whoevre we are tied with hte higher pick is ours bc of our strenght of schedule compared to others.

WR, OLB, ILB, TE, and S are the best options at the mid to high 20s in round 1. 100% it will go taht way not NT, not DE but one of those.
Benn or Tate will be a great pick there and last year htey wanted Britt and NIcks and look how good they are doing at that spot they were drafted at. As far as OLB goes, I think Wake next year takes Porters spot if he isn't cut, porter is NOT a SOLB bc his coverage skills aren't good.

I hope we go TE in FA in Sheffler or Scaife or Daniels, all very good pass catching TE's. I'd love to go Bryant as well bc i still don't see a number 2 on this roster. ONly number 2 potential is Hartline and he isn't any sort of game changer to be a number 1 he disapears often. Bess is our clear cut best number 3 and WR on teh team.

Bryant, Benn/Tate, and Bess...with Sheffler on this roster for Henne? Give me that any day of the week and I can say we are going to put up at least 25 pts a game with the Ball in Henne's hand.

Then I'd go ILB round 2 and OLB round 3.

JC
12-17-2009, 01:34 AM

Once we have a number 1 receiver fasano will draw less attention in our passing game. TE is not a need

4THand10
12-17-2009, 02:05 AM
Once we have a number 1 receiver fasano will draw less attention in our passing game. TE is not a need

Fasano will be a free agent so TE will be a need if they don't resign Fasano.

phreak
12-17-2009, 02:28 AM
a good NT would eat double teams and enable the LBs to get to the QB… this in turn would lighten the load on the secondary, making FS a lesser need… my pick would be on a monster NT… then look for a cover ILB or a pressure OLB to replace Porter’s old azz... let JT play Pennington (mentor) to a young OLB…

#1dolphinsfan
12-17-2009, 02:32 AM
IF dez bryant is still on the board when we pick i think it would be really hard to pass on him

Dajesus
12-17-2009, 03:32 AM
a good NT would eat double teams and enable the LBs to get to the QB… this in turn would lighten the load on the secondary, making FS a lesser need… my pick would be on a monster NT… then look for a cover ILB or a pressure OLB to replace Porter’s old azz... let JT play Pennington (mentor) to a young OLB…

It is not like there are 15 NTs with first round ability. Cody from Alabama is our guy, and if he makes it to our pick I am sure Parcels would snag him, as Bill started the globe theory, so there is no way he lets 350lb Cody pass. The problem is every game we win it is less likely.

Draft speculation is impossible before the combine. Everyone we like today could end up being 7th round prospects after they ran 4.7 40 or bomb the wonderlick test. Nah is a lock to go in the first 3 picks and Bradford is the top QB prospect. Out side of that it is all up in the air till February.

CedarPhin
12-17-2009, 04:39 AM
You have a good point, either way we will have a high pick bc whoevre we are tied with hte higher pick is ours bc of our strenght of schedule compared to others.

WR, OLB, ILB, TE, and S are the best options at the mid to high 20s in round 1. 100% it will go taht way not NT, not DE but one of those.
Benn or Tate will be a great pick there and last year htey wanted Britt and NIcks and look how good they are doing at that spot they were drafted at. As far as OLB goes, I think Wake next year takes Porters spot if he isn't cut, porter is NOT a SOLB bc his coverage skills aren't good.

I hope we go TE in FA in Sheffler or Scaife or Daniels, all very good pass catching TE's. I'd love to go Bryant as well bc i still don't see a number 2 on this roster. ONly number 2 potential is Hartline and he isn't any sort of game changer to be a number 1 he disapears often. Bess is our clear cut best number 3 and WR on teh team.

Bryant, Benn/Tate, and Bess...with Sheffler on this roster for Henne? Give me that any day of the week and I can say we are going to put up at least 25 pts a game with the Ball in Henne's hand.

Then I'd go ILB round 2 and OLB round 3.

Do you think Daniels will be at full strength by the start of next season? He or Scheffler would be great pickups.

SR 7
12-17-2009, 04:49 AM
Do you think Daniels will be at full strength by the start of next season? He or Scheffler would be great pickups.

I personally prefer Daniels, he is a monster of a TE but he will cost a lot, prob top 3-5 money. Schefller has a load of potential thas the only problem i see wiht him...potential he isn't reaching completely meaning inconsistent. I think Daniels will be good to go but I don't have much info on how serious the injury was.

Tigers2003
12-17-2009, 04:51 AM
If is not Dez Bryant, we should go ILB , NT, we need more preasure in there, so our corners can make better plays on the ball. Breston, Austin, Floyd,V.Jackson,Hixon, all FAs, and we can get a decent WRs in the second round, have you seen Mikes Walace speed 3rd round pick for PIT. yes he has drop some passes but he still a rookie. And if we pick Golden Tate in the first round ill kill somebody, I dont care if he is the next Steve Smith, no more short receivers.

As far as WR its dez or bust in first. Look, we need a number one who has speed and catch consistently AND is does not shy away from contact- unlike Mr. Ginn. But, that type of player may not be available in round one. That is why I would love for us to go after Austin if Dallas can't sign him. That is a wish; reality is Jerry signs him somehow.

We can try to find a daimond in the rough for WR. In the 2nd we can find someone with value. But will they pan out to be the type of WR we need? If not WR I can see NT before an OL. RB can be had later. I don't see RB in first round. Ronnie will be back.

GoonBoss
12-17-2009, 04:54 AM
I'm absolutely convinced we are going NT or ILB in the first round.

Of course I didn't see us drafting White either.

phreak
12-17-2009, 05:49 AM
It is not like there are 15 NTs with first round ability. Cody from Alabama is our guy, and if he makes it to our pick I am sure Parcels would snag him, as Bill started the globe theory, so there is no way he lets 350lb Cody pass. The problem is every game we win it is less likely.

Draft speculation is impossible before the combine. Everyone we like today could end up being 7th round prospects after they ran 4.7 40 or bomb the wonderlick test. Nah is a lock to go in the first 3 picks and Bradford is the top QB prospect. Out side of that it is all up in the air till February.
that is why i didnt name names, but just named positions of need... my personal feeling is that NT is the most pressing right now

Dajesus
12-17-2009, 09:50 PM
that is why i didnt name names, but just named positions of need... my personal feeling is that NT is the most pressing right now

I agree that NT is our biggest need, as our defense is our biggest concern heading in to the offseason. It is sexy to say we need a WR, but we average 22 points a game this season, and were averaging even more when we had Brown and Groove. Our defense is older, and has more holes than our offense. As much as Ginn could have given us a better chance to win by not dropping the TD or the pass that Sharper returned for a TD, but the real problem was our defense could not stop their offenses. Our offense held the ball for 45 minutes against Indy, but our defense gave up huge plays over and over again.

The problem is traditionally first round talent at NT goes very early in the draft. Typically the top 3-4 NT/DT go in the first 10 picks. We are not going to pick in the top 20, most likely. If we choose a NT in the 20s we would probably get a 2nd or 3rd round talent. We would be better served grabbing a first round talent at FS, TE, or possibly LB, as history dictates the top 2-3 at those positions don't start coming off the board till the 20-32nd picks.

nando03
12-18-2009, 02:01 AM
I feel that if Terrance "Mount" Cody falls to us that will be our pick in the 1st round. I've seen him play a couple of times and he's a tough man to move and gets lots of pressure. Ask Tim Tebow. lol

3rdandinches
12-18-2009, 06:58 AM
I feel that if Terrance "Mount" Cody falls to us that will be our pick in the 1st round. I've seen him play a couple of times and he's a tough man to move and gets lots of pressure. Ask Tim Tebow. lol

I think if he or D.Williams is there in the 2nd ojne of them get picked but certainly not the 1st. OLB,ILB or FS in the first and more likely one of the first two.

MP-Omnis
12-18-2009, 07:29 AM

We already have Mount Soliai.

rev kev
12-18-2009, 11:18 AM

We don't have the budget to feed both of them...?

WelcomeBack
12-18-2009, 11:52 AM
Soliai AND Cody? Might as well shut down all Miami food establishments.

phreak
12-18-2009, 11:54 AM
depth man! depth!

ArmyFin7
12-18-2009, 12:04 PM
You want to use a 1st round pick on depth??? YIKES!

Dajesus
12-18-2009, 08:50 PM

We will see after this week if Soliai is our guy at DT, or if this position needs to be upgraded.