PDA

View Full Version : John Clayton says Parcells "isnt big on" drafting WR in 1st round

BAMAPHIN 22
12-17-2009, 10:34 AM
Q: What do you think the Dolphins will do in next year's draft?

A: Bill Parcells doesn't like taking wide receivers in the first round. It's not out of the question for the Dolphins to continue to look along the offensive line in the first round or add a defensive lineman. You'd have to figure they'd be looking for a wide receiver and maybe a backup tight end in Rounds 2 through 4. Parcells and the coaching staff are finding out they have a pretty good quarterback in Chad Henne, so they must get him a better stable of receivers. Parcells just isn't big on using a first-round pick on a receiver. Never has been. Never will be.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=4747469

rev kev
12-17-2009, 10:46 AM
I would be shocked if we go WR in the first rd considering our glaring hole down the middle NT, ILB X2 and SS X2..., our starting OLBs have seen better days

Canadianfishfan
12-17-2009, 10:47 AM
Gee what a piece of journalism there! Clayton must troll FH to get all his Dolphin information.

Good work John!

TheDon74
12-17-2009, 11:05 AM
So when he drafted Terry Glenn #7 overall, Keyshawn Johnson #1 overall and Mark Ingram #28 overall he didn't think they were worth taking in the 1st?

rev kev
12-17-2009, 11:09 AM
So when he drafted Terry Glenn #7 overall, Keyshawn Johnson #1 overall and Mark Ingram #28 overall he didn't think they were worth taking in the 1st?

If you read John's quote he is saying that he thinks the O & D lines are areas of need based on BP philosophy you build from the insie out is all

phinman1
12-17-2009, 11:18 AM
Why even talk about this anymore? Of course we are not going WR in round 1. We have enough young guys under development.

Got to get the WR stud via a trade for one of our high picks.

TheDon74
12-17-2009, 11:20 AM
If you read John's quote he is saying that he thinks the O & D lines are areas of need based on BP philosophy you build from the insie out is all

I understand that and agree with the philosophy but to state that he doesn't like to draft WR's in the 1st is wrong, he simply believes you build the lines 1st. I also don't see him picking any O-line guys in the 1st, we already have the most expensive line in the league and are in no need for more starters there just depth and you don't draft a 1st rounder for depth. I could see him going D-line or even LB though.

rev kev
12-17-2009, 11:21 AM
I understand that and agree with the philosophy but to state that he doesn't like to draft WR's in the 1st is wrong, he simply believes you build the lines 1st. I also don't see him picking any O-line guys in the 1st, we already have the most expensive line in the league and are in no need for more starters there just depth and you don't draft a 1st rounder for depth. I could see him going D-line or even LB though.

Agreed all around TheDon74

bpackers13
12-17-2009, 11:23 AM
With the Miami Dolphins first pick the select........ Brandon Spikes ILB University of Florida!!!!!!!!

TheDon74
12-17-2009, 11:34 AM
With the Miami Dolphins first pick the select........ Brandon Spikes ILB University of Florida!!!!!!!!

You may be a prophet if they choose to go ILB only problem is they seem to have faith in Crowder that the fans don't. I could see them going OLB for pass rush and Kindle out of Texas would be perfect in the 3-4.

Whoever they get will more then likely be good and a need so it will be hard to complain.

dolpns13
12-17-2009, 11:35 AM
Clayton really has done a total nose dive with his journalism.. He used to be one of the best in the business but quickly turned into one of the worst

SuperMarksBros.
12-17-2009, 11:37 AM

Terry Glenn-Parcells was against the pick and wanted Tony Brackens instead. The GM selected Glenn(acting on Kraft's behalf), which led to Parcells leaving NE in a bitter divorce and prompting his famous "buying the groceries" line.

Keyshawn Johnson-drafted by Rich Kotite in the 1996 draft. Parcells joined the team in 1997.

Mark Ingram-the only WR parcells has willingly rafted in the 1st round, following a super bowl season with a complete team.

LOL Clayton. Thanks for the "news".

Astrosback
12-17-2009, 11:40 AM
Depending on FA, WR will likley be a need but what about RB?!?!?

If Ronnie is looking for a max, long term deal, I doubt he gets that from us. I'm not sure about the situation with the CBA and how that affects his status but I think there's a pretty good chance that he's not with us next year - maybe via a franchise-tag-n-trade move.

If Ronnie's gone, and Ricky is playing his final season, RB could be our biggest need.

CJ Spiller in the 1st round could make sense if he's still available. He would be a great RB threat to compliment Ricky and he would kind of address the "WR" need in terms of adding a weapon for Henne.

I like this idea for an offseason:

Trades:

Ronnie to HOU for their 2nd round pick.
Crowder and Ginn to CLE for their 4th round pick.

FAs:

ILB Karlos Dansby
ILB Kirk Morrison
FS Antrel Rolle

Releases:

Joey Porter
Gibril Wilson

Draft:

Round 1) CJ Spiller RB Clemson
Round 2a) Sean Weatherspoon OLB Missouri (via HOU for Ronnie)
Round 2b) Aaron Hernandez TE Florida
Round 3) Demaryius Thomas WR Georgia Tech
Round 4a) Jerome Murphy CB/KR South Florida (via CLE for Crowder/Ginn)
Round 4b) D'Anthony Smith DT/DE LaTech

We fill our needs at ILB and FS via FA.
We get great value for Ronnie instead of giving him a long term contract.
We draft the best weapon in the draft (Spiller) filling a huge need at RB.
We draft a productive, complete OLB to replace Porter.
We draft a very talented playmaking TE.
We draft a raw but huge and intimidating WR (available in rond 3 b/c of 4.5 - 4.6 40 time but still has tools to be a #1 WR).
We draft CB/RS and DL depth.

Roster:

QB Henne, White, Thigpen
RB Spiller*, Ricky, Cobbs (PR)
FB Polite
TE Hernandez*, Fasano
WR Thomas*, Hartline, Bess, Camarillo, Turner

LT Long, Gardner
LG Smiley, Garner
OC Grove, Berger
RG Thomas
RT Carey

DE Langford, McDaniel
NT Soliai, Ferguson, Smith*
DE Starks, Merling

OLB Taylor, Wake
ILB Dansby*, Ayodele
ILB Morrison*, Torbor
OLB Weatherspoon*, Anderson

CB Vontae, Will Allen
FS Rolle*, Clemmons
SS Bell, Culver
CB Sean Smith, Nate Jones, Murphy* (KR)

*New Additions

Tuna once passed on a great RB in round 1 (Steven Jackson) to trade back into round 2 and get his RB (Julius Jones). That didn't work out so well for DAL so this time, Tuna snatches up Spiller while he can!

BillParFan
12-17-2009, 11:42 AM

Glenn was a Kraft pick which resulted in the BP quote.......

"If they want you to cook the dinner, at least they ought to let you shop for some of the groceries"

Key was drafted pre BP.:crazy::woot:

TheDon74
12-17-2009, 12:04 PM
Glenn was a Kraft pick which resulted in the BP quote.......

"If they want you to cook the dinner, at least they ought to let you shop for some of the groceries"

Key was drafted pre BP.:crazy::woot:

I forgot about the groceries thing and your 100% right about Glenn. As far as the Johnson draft I looked up Parcells draft history and that 1996 Jets draft is considered his for some reason but your again 100% right that would be a Kotite draft, I was just going off the 1st thing I read without thinking about it.

Granchamp71
12-17-2009, 12:27 PM
I forgot about the groceries thing and your 100% right about Glenn. As far as the Johnson draft I looked up Parcells draft history and that 1996 Jets draft is considered his for some reason but your again 100% right that would be a Kotite draft, I was just going off the 1st thing I read without thinking about it.

To be fair, since Keyshawn and Glenn were drafted in the SAME draft, if you were right it would be a good argument. You can't say a guy doesn't like receivers if he drafts one for two different teams an hour apart from each other.

And yeah, Parcells really wanted Cedric Jones, the defensive end from Oklahoma. He went 5th overall to the Giants, and the Pats took Glenn at 7. I remember hearing all this crap about it locally.

Dphins4me
12-17-2009, 12:35 PM
He was forced to draft Glenn & was the driving force as to why he left NE following the draft.

Parcells was in New England when Keyshawn was drafted.
Both Keyshawn & Glenn were drafted in '96.

Mark Ingram-the only WR parcells has willingly rafted in the 1st round, following a super bowl season with a complete team.

Parcells did not do the drafting in NY. George Young did.

BARF
12-17-2009, 01:17 PM

no more uf lb's please, if the best player there is a wr we will take him, that with clayton is all smoke and mirrors, bp loves playing that game to throw off everyone else's board

AdamC13
12-17-2009, 01:26 PM
He was forced to draft Glenn & was the driving force as to why he left NE following the draft.

Parcells was in New England when Keyshawn was drafted.
Both Keyshawn & Glenn were drafted in '96.

Parcells did not do the drafting in NY. George Young did.

Thanks to all giving the run down on BP's previous drafts. All of this is interesting. So "exactly" what drafts can be attributed to BP?

Anyone...

SuperMarksBros.
12-17-2009, 01:29 PM
Thanks to all giving the run down on BP's previous drafts. All of this is interesting. So "exactly" what drafts can be attributed to BP?

Anyone...

His entire tenures with the Jets, Cowboys, and (thus far) Miami.

AtticusFinz
12-17-2009, 01:48 PM

Parcells took over the Jets Keyshawns 2nd season ..I belive he was traded to Tampa 2 seasons later..

phintim
12-17-2009, 02:34 PM

Bill P did not want to draft those guys except for perhaps Ingram and was over ridden in the decision by the front office.
Thats why he has moved on from some of those teams
He wants to buy the groceries

phintim
12-17-2009, 02:37 PM
This years draft will include a linebacker or 2 in the first couple of rounds bank on it! Look at our roster and you certainly do not see any linebackers he has drafted since being in Miami. A TE is the other possibilty if there is one worth drafting high which there may not from the looks of things. One guy is out there worthy. A nose tackle and a wide reciever are needed and would be long shots as he feels they are availbe with using high round draft picks.

NRA
12-17-2009, 09:22 PM
it was NOT tony brackens that parcells wanted over tery glenn it
was non other than DARYL [bullet head] GARDNER he wanted.

and as we all know, miami drafted him a few pics later.

FinAtic8480
12-17-2009, 09:27 PM
As long as Jones does not resign Austin, he is our answer for a number 1 reciever next year. Discovered by the Trifecta and an emerging star at reciever position.

Kadiddlehopper
12-17-2009, 09:34 PM
I agree we need LB"S, but is this just a smoke screen too?

Coordinators make their appearance

Armando Salguero

"We like this group of receivers," Henning said. "I've told you that before. They're like Rodney Dangerfield. [Greg] Camarillo and [Davone] Bess weren't even drafted. [Brian] Hartline was drafted but he was drafted after another guy on the same team [Pat Turner] and three or four other guys that went before him. And no one thought he was as good as we thought he was. And Teddy has been chronicled around here as ... he's been villified. And the only guy that has it worse than him right now is Tiger, I guess.

"But they like one another. They work together. They bought in to what we're teaching and so, you know, when you're talking about a coaching situation, everyone would love to have the most talented, biggest, strongest, fastest guy with the best hands. We don't have that and don't get them all the time. But even when you have that, as some people have found with certain individuals in this league, the best thing to have in a coaching situation is these type of guys."

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2009/12/coordinators-make-their-appearance.html

DolfanDaveInATX
12-17-2009, 11:11 PM
We will draft an offensive lineman next spring -- probably another 7th round tackle we'll try to sneak through to the practice squad. I still think we go nose tackle in the 1st round, either Terrence Cody or the kid from Tennessee. I need at least one more season of solid play before I can trust Soliai.

AndyK78
12-18-2009, 12:29 PM
I thought he wanted to draft Brackens instead of Glenn but he later went to jacksonville

ArmyFin7
12-18-2009, 12:31 PM
We will draft an offensive lineman next spring -- probably another 7th round tackle we'll try to sneak through to the practice squad. I still think we go nose tackle in the 1st round, either Terrence Cody or the kid from Tennessee. I need at least one more season of solid play before I can trust Soliai.

Lemme get this straight...even if Soliai continues to play well, you want to use a first rounder on a NT beacuse you want another season of good play from him????

NRA
12-28-2009, 12:40 PM
and because of parcells hatred for wr's, we will be in
the same boat next year. no big plays, not enough points to win
the big games.

this is a BIG TIME, pass happy leauge now and you have to have 2 guys
who can actually PLAY!! no more of this "he's a number 1, he's a number 2"
nonsense.

we have F/A besides the draft and parcells better get rid of the dead defensive
weight on this team and GET PLAYMAKERS IN HERE ON OFFENSE!

we have the qb. he is putting up BIG yds with CRUD at wr. a real wr and te
will do the trick, for starters.

but yds dont win games, POINTS win games and we have to find a wr or two
and a te that can SCORE! players who can consistantly make BIG PLAYS!!

RealDriscoll
12-28-2009, 02:00 PM
Well Jeff Ireland does all the drafting here. Parcells provides input but Ireland has final say. Tuna wanted Chris Long when Ireland wanted Jake Long and look who made the RIGHT decision

j-off-her-doll
12-28-2009, 03:31 PM
If Dez Bryant is available when we draft (and Eric Berry is not), and we do not draft him - no matter who else is available (again, save for Berry), I will be seriously upset.

Bryant is one of the 5 best talents in the draft, and WR happens to be a position of great need. All this talk of Parcells not wanting a WR is the 1st is valid, but if he's worth anything, he'll draft the best player available. And, I'm thinking and hoping that he is worth something.

RealDriscoll
12-29-2009, 05:37 PM
I am not a big fan of paying my bills every month but I NEED to do it.