PDA

View Full Version : Who started FINHEAVEN?

TheDon74
12-20-2009, 01:05 PM
I'm just curious about the history of this site does anyone know who created it?

TheDon74
12-20-2009, 01:15 PM
I just found this, so is there anyone still on here from when it was called "AJ's Miami Dolphins Page."?

Who's AJ and is he/her still a member?

FinHeaven & Co wasn't always FinHeaven & Co. It started out as a little project in April of 1996 entitled "AJ's Miami Dolphins Page." If you were to ever see that page, you would never believe that it has evolved into FinHeaven & Co as it is known today.

http://www.aboutus.org/FinHeaven.com

WeVie
12-20-2009, 02:15 PM
AJ is the guy that started FinHeaven. I remember when he was still here and posting just like we are. He was a regular poster. Check the old threads and you can find his posts.

I think he was in college and the site got so big he finally sold it to someone. I am sure someone else around here could tell you more about it than me.

This is the first thread i found that he started.

http://www.finheaven.com/forums/f10/attn-people-that-can-write-poems-1895.html

I wonder if he ever still comes here.

Dolphins7273
12-20-2009, 04:10 PM
Technically it was some other guy(s), but really it was me.

Bumpus
12-20-2009, 07:49 PM
Seems to me like AJ was here last month.

Bumpus
12-20-2009, 07:50 PM
I know I saw him somewhere in a thread recently.

rob19
12-20-2009, 09:16 PM
I liked the boards back then....... the lounge wasn't the wasteland it is now... it was really community oriented.. everyone knew each other... quality of post's were better.. my grammar was supposedly way to good to actually be 15.. there was phin cash and presents and such... the graphics forum actually had artists.. even spam was an active forum.. people knew how to multi quote..

I miss it..

poornate
12-20-2009, 09:31 PM
... We donated to help him keep the site up... he was a teenager... it used to have an awesome news collection front page and a real small forum... I lurked for a year before I joined... I probably had 15,000 posts in the ShoutBox... they eliminated that feature... it was loungish in nature... the posts were WAY better... everyone did know everyone else... it just did what things do, and grew...

WeVie
12-20-2009, 10:41 PM
I used to donate to him as well.

fin-atic
12-21-2009, 12:46 AM
I can tell you everything about it. AJ was a student at UF when he started the site. He was a marketing major and loved the Dolphins, a passion which he shared with his father. He started this site and it grew, and grew. The site quickly developed a reputation for being a place that ran a tight ship and where many fin fans came. I became a member about seven years ago. I got to know AJ and use to go to games with him from time to time. When FH got to a certain size it took more money to operate it. This was really putting a squeeze on him. Four years ago AJ made a deal with an agent of an ex-player to right a training camp blog. As a college student he couldn't afford to pay the fee, but a member offered to pay it so AJ signed the deal. When it came time to pay the member backed out and AJ got stuck. After that it kind of soured for him as the cost to keep the site up had now grown to be thousands of dollars. Throughout this time, I advised him and discussed the site with him as a friend. He told me he wanted to sell the site and I bough it from him. He stayed on and we collaborated on VIP and other features for about a year and a half. Then he just took off to take care of his own life.

Unfortunately, the site costs thousands of dollars to keep up and everyone wants it for free and less than 1% of the people who come here donate in anyway. This has and still is a problem for FH and any fan site that grows.

The staff and I are working to bring some features, contests, and enhance the site. We will bring some exciting and new features to FH and get us back to that same feeling that we all loved. There are some awesome fans here and this is your place. So stay tuned.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Matt
Owner/Admin
FinHeaven

PS
AJ rarely posts anymore. His father passed a few years back and he realized that his love for the site and the Fins was mainly because he shared it with his Dad. He is a cool guy and will forever be our founding father.

Possum
12-21-2009, 01:19 AM
come on this site doesnt have a wiki page?

Flip Tanneflop
12-21-2009, 01:54 AM
That dude they talked about started it I guess but, really it was RDS.

Without RDS, would it really matter who started it?

Possum
12-21-2009, 01:57 AM
That dude they talked about started it I guess but, really it was RDS.

Without RDS, would it really matter who started it?
i just laughed so hard my face hurts.

rob19
12-21-2009, 03:57 AM
Back when I joined the site in 2006 I really liked it.. I payed the VIP fee for two years because I think FH was less financially stable in those days.. and I wanted to contribute in a small way to a site that I enjoyed and immersed in.. I felt that there was a camaraderie between a lot of the posters.. maybe because there was less posters.. maybe the frequency in which those group of core users posted.. or how they were all great characters whom you connected with in a way that almost made you feel that these people were your friends.. maybe during the time I was away from FH those people I had come to know on a personal level had moved on.. oh and Juan Huron kicked ***... because successful troll is successful...

Juan Huron forever..

If you know wtf Juan Huron is I effing solute you and gonna give you a smiley face i wish i could still use

:yes:

shout out to the mods tho for giving me a place to be a nostalgic fruit in for free though

:hi5:

Slim
12-21-2009, 12:05 PM
Juan Huron forever..

If you know wtf Juan Huron is I effing solute you and gonna give you a smiley face i wish i could still use

THE GOAT...

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

allport30
12-30-2009, 11:43 PM
Juan Huron = teddy ginn

1 dol fan
12-31-2009, 02:14 AM
Back when I joined the site in 2006 I really liked it.. I payed the VIP fee for two years because I think FH was less financially stable in those days.. and I wanted to contribute in a small way to a site that I enjoyed and immersed in.. I felt that there was a camaraderie between a lot of the posters.. maybe because there was less posters.. maybe the frequency in which those group of core users posted.. or how they were all great characters whom you connected with in a way that almost made you feel that these people were your friends.. maybe during the time I was away from FH those people I had come to know on a personal level had moved on.. oh and Juan Huron kicked ***... because successful troll is successful...

Juan Huron forever..

:yes:

shout out to the mods tho for giving me a place to be a nostalgic fruit in for free though

:hi5:
Better start saluting... I did some research and looked back at old threads... pretty funny stuff. Especially the people that were trying to defend him at first.

I wasn't around at the time but as a fellow member of FH, I think it is our obligation to know a bit about the past of the site we all love.

I think for some reason the lounge is more close knit and comparable to what you talked about the old days. The Dolphins forum seems pretty cold and disconnected some times.

Scrap
12-31-2009, 04:16 PM
I was one of the first members of this site. It was kind of family oriented in the beginning. We all got to know one another.

1 dol fan
12-31-2009, 04:39 PM
I was one of the first members of this site. It was kind of family oriented in the beginning. We all got to know one another.
I think the lounge (and especially the 3AM crew) is similar to that. I think we are a family at least. I mean we already have the alcoholic uncle (Bluto) and the traveling liberal dusche (Cedar) and the foreigner-in-law (Tyler) and JCane is... Awesome! Possum is our big brother who is always there (for us). And JohnBeckHOF is the religious fanatic that sticks out like a sore thumb but we have to be nice to him or else we will live our afterlife in eternal flames and damnation.

And then there was 1DF, the best of them all!

Arsenal WV
12-31-2009, 08:33 PM
Juan Huron = teddy ginn

Oh man. I wish I could find that thread. It was an instant classic

I've been a member on here for about 4 years or so. I've had many usernames, some of them have been banned for posting nudies or whatnot. Not a big deal though

Dolfan984
01-01-2010, 06:52 PM
The vboard was made in 2001. I'm the 6th member of this board. Before that they had a much tackier forum but still had some very close members posting there. I've been posting here just before the 2000 season started.

AJ and I are the same age, I remember he had a thread created when he graduated high school.

I was 16. I'll be 26 an April.

What a trip.

I have an old PM from fin-atic (when he was just a member her not the owner) that basically just said FIEDLER HUGGER FIEDLER HUGGER that's still in my mail box. In 2003 (also before he became the owner) we actually met up with a few other friends from here and went to the Dolphins-Jets game in 2003 (last game of the season and Ricky's last game before he retired the first time) When he first saw me he told me that he thought I was going to punch him in the face. Well that's not my nature and we had a great time watching us beat Pennington and the Jets.

Miafan
01-13-2010, 03:26 PM
Its kind of crazy how long this forum has been around. I hadn't been on here for a few years due to deployments, and other crap going on in my life, and one day decided to see if finheaven was still alive. Much to my surprise, the community was still going, stronger than ever.