PDA

View Full Version : Potential Dolphins 2010

Big Red 1972
12-22-2009, 05:05 AM
I've started to put together a list of players I like in the upcoming draft. Juniors are included. If they don't declare I'll just take them off the list. They are in bold and italicized. You may notice some obvious omissions. Ndamukong Suh, Eric Berry, Dez Bryant, and C.J. Spiller. That's because I don't believe the Dolphins will be picking high enough to draft any of those guys. Rolando McClain is on the bubble and my #1 choice. If he's off the board then Brandon Spikes is a very close second.

This is the list I will print on draft day as I keep track of who the Dolphins select and who is still available. Each position is in the order I believe each player will come off the board. What do you think? Who should I add? Who should I remove? Who should be listed ahead of who? And who is your #1 choice?

INSIDE LINEBACKER
Rolando McClain 6-4 256 Alabama
Brandon Spikes 6-3 256 Florida
Sean Weatherspoon 6-1 245 Missouri
Rennie Curran 5-11 225 Georgia
Lawrence Wilson 6-1 220 UConn
Daryl Washington 6-2 234 TCU
Perry Riley 6-1 245 LSU
Josh Hull 6-3 240 Penn State
Alex Wujciak 6-3 255 Maryland
Joe Pawelek 6-2 240 Baylor

WIDEOUT
Arrelious Benn 6-2 220 Illinois
Golden Tate 5-11 195 Notre Dame
Mardy Gilyard 6-0 187 Cincinnati
Jeremy Williams 6-1 205 Tulane
Damian Williams 6-1 195 USC
Brandon LaFell 6-3 206 LSU
Demaryius Thomas 6-3 229 Georgia Tech
Danario Alexander 6-4 215 Missouri
Austin Pettis 6-3 202 Boise State
Dezmon Briscoe 6-3 200 Kansas
Emmanuel Sanders 5-11 182 SMU
Seyi Ajirotutu 6-3 210 Fresno State
Trindon Holliday 5-5 168 LSU
Mike Williams 6-2 212 Syracuse

NOSE TACKLE
Dan Williams 6-2 327 Tennessee
Terrence Cody 6-4 365 Alabama
Marvin Austin 6-3 305 North Carolina
Brian Price 6-2 300 UCLA
Tyson Alualu 6-2 295 California
D'Anthony Smith 6-2 300 Louisiana Tech
Lamarr Houston 6-2 300 Texas
Corey Peters 6-3 295 Kentucky
Jerrell Powe 6-2 340 Ole Miss
Earl Mitchell 6-2 295 Arizona
Al Woods 6-4 312 LSU
Abe Koroma 6-2 317 Western Illinois (transferred from Penn St)

SAFETY
DeAndre McDaniel 6-1 210 Clemson
Morgan Burnett 6-1 210 Georgia Tech
Darrell Stuckey 5-11 205 Kansas
T.J. Ward 5-10 201 Oregon
Reshad Jones 6-2 212 Georgia
Jeron Johnson 5-11 195 Boise State
Deunta Williams 6-2 205 North Carolina
Justin Woodall 6-1 220 Alabama
Myron Rolle 6-2 223 FSU
Terrell Skinner 6-2 214 Maryland
Crezdon Butler 6-0 185 Clemson

OUTSIDE LINEBACKER
Jerry Hughes 6-2 257 TCU
Derrick Morgan 6-4 272 Georgia Tech
Jason Pierre-Paul 6-6 265 USF
Greg Romeus 6-5 270 Pitt
Everson Griffen 6-3 278 USC
Brandon Graham 6-1 263 Michigan
Bruce Carter 6-3 225 North Carolina
Sergio Kindle 6-4 255 Texas
A.J. Edds 6-4 244 Iowa
Jermaine Cunningham 6-3 252 Florida
Brandon Lang 6-4 256 Troy
Cameron Sheffield 6-2 249 Troy
George Johnson 6-4 265 Rutgers

OFFENSIVE TACKLE
Mike Tepper 6-6 322 Cal
Matt Kopa 6-6 305 Stanford
Chris Marinelli 6-7 305 Stanford
Drew Davis 6-7 305 Alabama

OFFENSIVE GUARD
John Jerry 6-5 350 Ole Miss
Sergio Render 6-3 313 Virginia Tech
Reggie Stephens 6-3 334 Iowa State
Thomas Austin 6-3 310 Clemson (also Center)
Andrew Lewis 6-4 292 Oklahoma State
Alonzo Durham 6-3 285 Nevada
Cord Howard 6-4 308 Georgia Tech
Marshall Newhouse 6-3 320 TCU

CENTER
Eric Cook 6-6 318 New Mexico
Jim Cordle 6-4 298 Ohio State
Kevin Matthews 6-4 310 Texas A&M

TIGHT END
Jermaine Gresham 6-6 258 Oklahoma
Ed Dickson 6-4 243 Oregon
Dennis Pitta 6-5 248 BYU
Jimmy Graham 6-8 260 Miami
Andrew Quarless 6-5 248 Penn State
Caz Piurowski 6-7 272 FSU

RUNNING BACK
Ben Tate 5-11 218 Auburn
Keith Toston 6-0 214 Oklahoma State
Harvey Unga 6-0 238 BYU
Andre Dixon 6-1 202 UConn
LeGarrette Blount 6-1 240 Oregon
Vai Taua 5-10 220 Nevada
Joseph Turner 6-1 225 TCU

QUARTERBACK
Joe Webb 6-4 220 UAB

JCane
12-22-2009, 05:07 AM
CJ Spiller will be available but Parcells won't take him.

Possum
12-22-2009, 05:38 AM
RUNNING BACK
Ben Tate 5-11 218 Auburn
Keith Toston 6-0 214 Oklahoma State
Harvey Unga 6-0 238 BYU
Andre Dixon 6-1 202 UConn
LeGarrette Blount 6-1 240 Oregon
Vai Taua 5-10 220 Nevada
Joseph Turner 6-1 225 TCU

DUMB***!!!!! maybe the raiders will pick him up.

ckparrothead
12-22-2009, 11:21 AM
CJ Spiller will be available but Parcells won't take him.

Spiller will not be available, IMO. He's the best offensive player in the draft, thus far.

OrlandoFin
12-22-2009, 12:16 PM
If he comes out I like Demaryuis Thomas out of Ga Tech. He's 6-3, 229 lbs and will only run in the 4.5 to 4.6 range, but plays much faster. Very good blocker and catches everything with his hands, not against his body. He is also very good at going up and getting the ball at it's highest point. If he comes out he could be there in round two or possibly round three. He just reminds me a lot of Anquan Boldin or Hines Ward, plays hard and physical.

If he played for a team that threw the ball more he'd be seen as a first round pick. Ga Tech has only completed 79 passes for 1689 yards and Thomas has 46 receptions for 1154 yards and 8 TDs. This guy is a player and if you get the chance to watch him I recommend you do.

ckparrothead
12-22-2009, 01:50 PM
My comfort level with Demaryius is increasing. You have to keep in mind that in that offense, you throw out the stat measures that usually mean something.

Bottom line is the guy is big, runs fast, can run after the catch, and make some Jonathan Baldwin type ridiculous adjustments on the ball, catches. That's usually a good football player.

Dolphin Dave
12-22-2009, 02:30 PM
Nice list of prospects. I appreciate it as it gives me something to do in looking these guys up and checking them out.

"Trindon Holliday 5-5 168 LSU" this guy jumped right out right off the bat. 5'5" WR. First thought was WTF it must be a typo but he is seriously that small. Then I looked him up and see that he runs the 100 meters in 10.01 which is awsome. Little guy like that as a KR/PR would be pretty interesting. With that kind of size he would just get lost behind NFL blockers and be darn hard to get a bead on. Can't see him being a major weapon as a WR but stranger things have happened. I like it.

ckparrothead
12-22-2009, 02:33 PM
Holliday is super fast but as a football player, he hasn't been cutting it.

Dogbone34
12-22-2009, 02:59 PM
my latest top 5

Rolando McClain
Earl Thomas
Brandon Spikes
Jerry Hughes
Marvin Austin

j-off-her-doll
12-22-2009, 03:10 PM
I like D. Alexander a lot. I'd take him over Tate any day of the week. And, he'll be there in the 2nd and probably the 3rd - doubt he'll fall to the 4th, though.

Big Red 1972
12-22-2009, 04:15 PM
If he comes out I like Demaryuis Thomas out of Ga Tech. He's 6-3, 229 lbs and will only run in the 4.5 to 4.6 range, but plays much faster. Very good blocker and catches everything with his hands, not against his body. He is also very good at going up and getting the ball at it's highest point. If he comes out he could be there in round two or possibly round three. He just reminds me a lot of Anquan Boldin or Hines Ward, plays hard and physical.

If he played for a team that threw the ball more he'd be seen as a first round pick. Ga Tech has only completed 79 passes for 1689 yards and Thomas has 46 receptions for 1154 yards and 8 TDs. This guy is a player and if you get the chance to watch him I recommend you do.

I've seen him. He's an interesting prospect for sure. Had a crucial drop against Georgia this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXFouJ-UWLQ

Don't forget to check out Reshad Jones at the beginning of that clip. He's a junior but if he declares he should definitely be on the Dolphins radar.

Thomas definitely suffers from playing in the GT offense. Makes him very tricky to evaluate. If he delcares I'm sure the Dolphins will be interested. Personally I'm not sold on him yet. Mainly because of where he is projected. I believe there are a number of better options in the 2nd and 3rd round.

ckparrothead
12-22-2009, 04:20 PM
I don't like Danario Alexander. I think he's soft. Only plays hard when the circumstances are going his way.

TedSlimmJr
12-22-2009, 04:30 PM
I don't like Alexander.....don't let the gaudy stats fool you...

And Holliday can't hold Dexter McCluster's jock strap...

MP-Omnis
12-22-2009, 05:02 PM
I see a Clemson guy in your Guards list. Ndamukong Suh ate Clemson's guards for lunch. Wasn't even funny...

jim1
12-22-2009, 05:16 PM
I've seen him. He's an interesting prospect for sure. Had a crucial drop against Georgia this year.

Don't forget to check out Reshad Jones at the beginning of that clip. He's a junior but if he declares he should definitely be on the Dolphins radar.

Thomas definitely suffers from playing in the GT offense. Makes him very tricky to evaluate. If he delcares I'm sure the Dolphins will be interested. Personally I'm not sold on him yet. Mainly because of where he is projected. I believe there are a number of better options in the 2nd and 3rd round.

Suffers? His stats were great this year. He dropped the ball- it happens, but that was indeed a clutch moment and he failed to deliver. That being said, he has good, soft hands in general, I have no problem with him there.

And actually I like how he ran that pattern- small point I know, but for a guy who's 6-3, 230 he moves pretty well. I've seen explosion out of Benn- I'm still not sure about that with Thomas, maybe his speed is deceptive because he runs so smoothly, I don't know. But at the end of the day I sure wouldn't mind seeing him play for the Dolphins.

ckparrothead
12-22-2009, 05:48 PM
I don't like Alexander.....don't let the gaudy stats fool you...

And Holliday can't hold Dexter McCluster's jock strap...

With you on both counts.

Big Red 1972
12-22-2009, 07:13 PM
I see a Clemson guy in your Guards list. Ndamukong Suh ate Clemson's guards for lunch. Wasn't even funny...

That's gonna happen to a lot of guys who face Suh.

Big Red 1972
12-22-2009, 07:27 PM
Suffers? His stats were great this year. He dropped the ball- it happens, but that was indeed a clutch moment and he failed to deliver. That being said, he has good, soft hands in general, I have no problem with him there.

And actually I like how he ran that pattern- small point I know, but for a guy who's 6-3, 230 he moves pretty well. I've seen explosion out of Benn- I'm still not sure about that with Thomas, maybe his speed is deceptive because he runs so smoothly, I don't know. But at the end of the day I sure wouldn't mind seeing him play for the Dolphins.

He suffers because its not a pro-set offense. His numbers could be even better but we have no way of knowing because he's limited by that triple option offense.

jim1
12-22-2009, 07:53 PM
He suffers because its not a pro-set offense. His numbers could be even better but we have no way of knowing because he's limited by that triple option offense.

Keep in mind that he's the beneficiary of a lot of attention being focused to stop that GT running game, so it goes both ways.

REC 46, YDS 1,154, TD 8

The guy is averaging over 25 yards per catch with those stats, I don't think that he's been made to suffer, and maybe in a more standard offense he doesn't get as many opportunities for big plays, who knows.

If anyone has a right to ***** and moan about being stifled in an offense it might be Arrelious Benn. Anyway, I like Thomas quite a bit, if he runs a good 40 at the combine and shows some explosion in the drills I'll be all over him. Still a big fan of Benn.

Valandui
12-22-2009, 08:24 PM
Why is no one talking about Kevin Matthews? It seems like most draft sites don't even act like he exists, which is strange given who his father is and the way Clay Matthews showed up big overnight last year. Is he any good?

TedSlimmJr
12-22-2009, 08:46 PM
Why is no one talking about Kevin Matthews? It seems like most draft sites don't even act like he exists, which is strange given who his father is and the way Clay Matthews showed up big overnight last year. Is he any good?

We've discussed him a little but not much in depth....he played a good game against Texas...but I wouldn't exactly call him a chip off the ol' block just yet...

I like Steve Wisnieski's son a little better as a prospect....he looks like he could be a chip off the ol' block...

MP-Omnis
12-22-2009, 11:23 PM
That's gonna happen to a lot of guys who face Suh.

Yeah I know. :boohoo:Every time I see Clemson now I think of that Nebraska game where the O-line got manhandled. Makes me sad that he won't be on our team... just hope he's NFC.

Valandui
12-23-2009, 01:45 AM
We've discussed him a little but not much in depth....he played a good game against Texas...but I wouldn't exactly call him a chip off the ol' block just yet...

I like Steve Wisnieski's son a little better as a prospect....he looks like he could be a chip off the ol' block...
I didn't mean you guys specifically, but more the draft analysis community. I kept trying to find info on him but it's pretty hard to.

JCane
12-23-2009, 01:56 AM
Spiller will not be available, IMO. He's the best offensive player in the draft, thus far.

Where do you see us picking? Because I see Spiller going 17th or lower. The NFL is changing and the stud running backs are just not as important to NFL offenses as they were 10 years ago. Don't get me wrong, you still have to be able to run the football no doubt, but it's situational running. You have to be able to run the football in short yardage, red zone, and for clock management.

OrlandoFin
12-23-2009, 12:16 PM
My comfort level with Demaryius is increasing. You have to keep in mind that in that offense, you throw out the stat measures that usually mean something.

Bottom line is the guy is big, runs fast, can run after the catch, and make some Jonathan Baldwin type ridiculous adjustments on the ball, catches. That's usually a good football player.

I completely agree. I feel watching him he has the "it" factor. The guy is an absolute beast. He is one of if not the most physical receivers I have seen play since Boldin and yet he is bigger. He has amazing body control and as you stated his adjustments to the ball is ridiculous. I know the downfall is that he is going to clock in at 4.5 or 4.6, but like Jerry Rice who ran a 4.6 you very rarely see him chased down from behind.

OrlandoFin
12-23-2009, 12:26 PM

All receivers drop a ball now and then, and I haven't seen many from Thomas. He's still young, so still has some work to do but I think his physical tools are amazing.

As far as Jones goes, I like him, but not sure I see Miami looking at him. He's a SS and I see Clemmons moving into that role behind Bell. Miami need a true FS that understand the responsibilities of a FS spot. Wilson is a good SS and he plays the FS spot like a SS. A SS moves to the LOS where a FS should be first step back and then react. Wislon doesn't do that and gets caught out of position.

Big Red 1972
12-23-2009, 04:14 PM
Keep in mind that he's the beneficiary of a lot of attention being focused to stop that GT running game, so it goes both ways.

REC 46, YDS 1,154, TD 8

The guy is averaging over 25 yards per catch with those stats, I don't think that he's been made to suffer, and maybe in a more standard offense he doesn't get as many opportunities for big plays, who knows.

If anyone has a right to ***** and moan about being stifled in an offense it might be Arrelious Benn. Anyway, I like Thomas quite a bit, if he runs a good 40 at the combine and shows some explosion in the drills I'll be all over him. Still a big fan of Benn.

Love Arrelious Benn! :up:

Demaryius Thomas considered transferring to another school when Paul Johnson was hired and installed the triple option. That's all I'm saying. Its not a wideout friendly offense.

Big Red 1972
12-23-2009, 04:22 PM
All receivers drop a ball now and then, and I haven't seen many from Thomas. He's still young, so still has some work to do but I think his physical tools are amazing.

Do you like him better than Danario Alexander, Dezmon Briscoe, and Austin Pettis?

As far as Jones goes, I like him, but not sure I see Miami looking at him. He's a SS and I see Clemmons moving into that role behind Bell. Miami need a true FS that understand the responsibilities of a FS spot. Wilson is a good SS and he plays the FS spot like a SS. A SS moves to the LOS where a FS should be first step back and then react. Wislon doesn't do that and gets caught out of position.

Reshad Jones is a sure tackler who can cover. Factor in his size and I guarantee you the Dolphins are interested.

Big Red 1972
12-23-2009, 04:36 PM

Kevin Matthews is Bruce Matthew's son and well worth a 7th round pick. :up:

BTW Who is that chick in your sig?

ckparrothead
12-23-2009, 06:20 PM
Do you like him better than Danario Alexander, Dezmon Briscoe, and Austin Pettis?

Reshad Jones is a sure tackler who can cover. Factor in his size and I guarantee you the Dolphins are interested.

I like him better than Danario Alexander, and he's at least the same speed as Dezmon Briscoe so if you're the same speed you might as well go with the bigger and stronger guy with better hands. Austin Pettis...we'll see.

WelcomeBack
12-23-2009, 06:26 PM
Hey CK, I know Boomer made mention of it last year. Do you feel that Corey Wootton can translate to a 3-4 OLB?

And do you see any 3-4 ILB in the 4th round range capable of starting in the first or second year?

Tunaphish429
12-23-2009, 06:30 PM

Awful..Lazy...quit the team beacause the team had rules now

Big Red 1972
12-23-2009, 07:06 PM
I like him better than Danario Alexander, and he's at least the same speed as Dezmon Briscoe so if you're the same speed you might as well go with the bigger and stronger guy with better hands. Austin Pettis...we'll see.

Okay I'll add him to the list.

Big Red 1972
12-23-2009, 07:07 PM

Awful..Lazy...quit the team beacause the team had rules now

Agreed. However based on talent alone he's worth a 7th round flyer.

TedSlimmJr
12-23-2009, 08:15 PM
Wootton a 3-4 linebacker? Can't say I see that as a viable option for him personally...

I'm not convinced he could play up front in a 3-4 either.....he's tall but to me he plays a little high even for a tall guy....no pass rush repertoire at this point...

I think he's best suited as a 4-3 end if he were to become a little more polished....he's pretty quick off the snap though...he keeps his feet moving constantly with those short, choppy steps...once he gets after you he stays after you...good motor player IMO..

WelcomeBack
12-23-2009, 08:17 PM
I just know Boomer mentioned him as a possibility last year.

SuavePhin
12-23-2009, 08:33 PM
Marc Mariani 6'1 181 WR from Montana wouldn't be a bad fit homerism aside ;)

OrlandoFin
12-24-2009, 02:34 PM

I do like Thomas better than Alexander, Briscoe and Pettis. In fact the only receivers that I personally like better than Thomas are Bryant and Benn, and really not sure that I like Benn better, but the speed factor there is hard to overlook. I just think Thomas has that "it" factor. He seems like he is going to be a special type of player.

You might be right about Jones and they may look at him if he comes out, but I think they would look at Mays or Chad Jones before they would look at Reshad. Not saying they are better just think those two are more of a physical presence, which the Trifecta seems to like.

Big Red 1972
12-24-2009, 04:32 PM
I do like Thomas better than Alexander, Briscoe and Pettis. In fact the only receivers that I personally like better than Thomas are Bryant and Benn, and really not sure that I like Benn better, but the speed factor there is hard to overlook. I just think Thomas has that "it" factor. He seems like he is going to be a special type of player.

I have to check out Alexander again in his bowl game. I have always been impressed with him and I felt he was better than Thomas but I could be wrong.

Briscoe reminds me of Brandon Marshall in a way. There are some character concerns but if he gets his head straight he could be awesome.

Pettis could be better than all of them. Its so difficult evaluating the wideout position. So many studs in college turn out to be busts and other guys come out of nowhere and turn out to be studs in the NFL.

You might be right about Jones and they may look at him if he comes out, but I think they would look at Mays or Chad Jones before they would look at Reshad. Not saying they are better just think those two are more of a physical presence, which the Trifecta seems to like.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Dolphins drafted Taylor Mays or Chad Jones but I would be disappointed if they did. I believe Reshad Jones is better.

Big Red 1972
12-28-2009, 03:40 AM
After their bowl games I'm taking Sturdivant and McLaughlin off the list of potential inside linebackers. I was iffy on them to begin with.

Big Red 1972
12-28-2009, 03:49 AM
After his season and bowl game DeAndre McDaniel from Clemson is now my top safety (after Berry).

Ozfin77
01-01-2010, 08:13 PM
L.S.U S Chad Jones looked ok today against Penn State.

Obviously, I'd want to see more, but def. worth keeping an eye on IMO.

I have the Clemson/Kentucky game here ready to watch so looking forward to seeing that too.

Ozfin77
01-01-2010, 08:19 PM
Forgot to mention Penn State's DT Jared Odrick....Anyone got any thoughts on him as a mid rounder?

baseballcb95
01-01-2010, 10:40 PM
After his season and bowl game DeAndre McDaniel from Clemson is now my top safety (after Berry).

I LOVE this kid. i think he is staying tho im not sure.

houtz
01-01-2010, 10:56 PM
Forgot to mention Penn State's DT Jared Odrick....Anyone got any thoughts on him as a mid rounder?

Not sure what you mean by mid rounder? He'll be gone in the late first, early second.

emeraldfin
01-01-2010, 11:06 PM
I know hes not the greatest blocker, but Aaron Hernandez is arguably the best receiving TE in the class.

baseballcb95
01-01-2010, 11:16 PM
He is rediculous as a reciever, its simple amazing watching the guy after the catch, i swear BP is rediculously closed minded. There are ways to get around his blocking. how many times do we have 2 TE sets and keep them BOTH there blocking? thats like 7 lineman, do you really need any TE's blocking with a 150+ million dollar oline? Whos watching him tonight? its crazy. BP can not adapt and after this offseason he can leave for all i care. no WR in the 1st? Randy moss, Torry holt, reggie wayne, Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgeral, roy williams, Roddy white, braylon edwards, Dwayne Bowe, and Calvin Johnson were all taken from 98' to 07' in the 1st round. you need to take a risk once in a while. not every single TE on the team needs to be a rediculous blocker.

baseballcb95
01-01-2010, 11:17 PM
Bill Parcells has tunnel vision :clap::clap:

Ozfin77
01-02-2010, 02:37 AM
I know hes not the greatest blocker, but Aaron Hernandez is arguably the best receiving TE in the class.

Exactly!

I started a thread on this guy about 10 days ago to get an idea on what people thought of him. Its not just BP that thinks he has blocking issues, alot of the replies said the same thing about is blocking ability, or lack of.

TBH though, I want this kid wearing our helmet Sundays. He has so many positives that one would be crazy to "brush" him simply because he's not an established blocker....After all, he can be coached...Thats what coaches do...dont they?....lol....I actually saw him make a couple nice blocks today against Cincinnati.

Not only could his athletic skills help us, but the fact he has hispanic origins would be appealing to the latino community in Sth Florida considering PR is so important these days....

Ozfin77
01-04-2010, 04:12 AM
NOSE TACKLE
Dan Williams 6-2 327 Tennessee
Terrence Cody 6-4 365 Alabama
Marvin Austin 6-3 305 North Carolina
Brian Price 6-2 300 UCLA
Tyson Alualu 6-2 295 California
D'Anthony Smith 6-2 300 Louisiana Tech
Lamarr Houston 6-2 300 Texas
Corey Peters 6-3 295 Kentucky
Jerrell Powe 6-2 340 Ole Miss
Earl Mitchell 6-2 295 Arizona
Al Woods 6-4 312 LSU
Abe Koroma 6-2 317 Western Illinois (transferred from Penn St)

Staying in school.

Good move as far as I can see.