PDA

View Full Version : So I got An Ipod Nano.......

GoonBoss
12-26-2009, 06:41 PM
Now I need some music suggestions. I like three chord rock, alt country, southern rock, punk, some alternitive.

JCane
12-26-2009, 06:48 PM
Goon, grab some Ryan Adams. Trust me on this. Ryan Adams....not that lousy Canadian, Bryan Adams lol. Ryan Adams is one of my favorite artist. Very underrated. He doesn't get a lot of mainstream play but he's great. Check out lala.com and search for his stuff. You can decide which albums or songs you wish to download. But his "Heartbreaker" album is probably the best album I own out of thousands. Also, grab some Mike Ness. Mike was the lead singer of the Punk band, Social Distortion way back when. Now he does a lot of Country stuff that's great.

Locke
12-26-2009, 07:09 PM
Lucero.

Thank me later Goon...

Tetragrammaton
12-26-2009, 07:19 PM
Steve Earle, specifically his album "I Feel Alright".

GoonBoss
12-26-2009, 08:04 PM
Lucero.

Thank me later Goon...

I like. Any suggestions for the first album to try?

Locke
12-26-2009, 08:11 PM
I like. Any suggestions for the first album to try?

I like their self-titled the most, but they are all really good...

SpurzN703
12-26-2009, 08:12 PM
I got an iPod Nano 5th Generation for Christmas too :d-day:

CedarPhin
12-26-2009, 10:03 PM
Rhinestone Cowboy

The "But Seriously Folks..." album by Joe Walsh, "Life's Been Good to Me So Far" is fantastic.

Jimi Hendrix

Black Flag, Lynyrd Skynyrd, AC/DC, The Clash, KISS, Rolling Stones

poornate
12-26-2009, 10:44 PM
Drive-By Truckers... all day Goon... right up your alley... (my alley, too)...

Bumpus
12-26-2009, 11:38 PM
Does that mean you're doing the siloutte (sp?) dance from the commercial right now? :chuckle:

LouPhinFan
12-27-2009, 12:10 AM
I've got one of those too. They're pretty nifty. Don't forget to check out the Podcasts on iTunes. There's a few Dolphins ones.

GoonBoss
12-27-2009, 01:44 AM
I like their self-titled the most, but they are all really good...

I bought Heros, Rouges and Sworn Brothers. Gonna wrap my head around this one and then maybe get another.

1 dol fan
12-27-2009, 01:45 AM
I've got one of those too. They're pretty nifty. Don't forget to check out the Podcasts on iTunes. There's a few Dolphins ones.
The best podcast is The Lex and Terry Talk Show.... Try it, you'll like it. :hi5:

Boston
12-27-2009, 02:12 AM
nonpoint is good southern rock.

GoonBoss
12-27-2009, 02:34 AM
Does that mean you're doing the siloutte (sp?) dance from the commercial right now? :chuckle:

No. Nobody wants that.

Vaark
12-27-2009, 05:12 AM
You want country rock (one of my favorite music genres) why screw around with imitators. Go right back to the source and pick up some of "The Band" "Lynnerd Skynnerd" and early "Allman Brothers." Can't do much better than those!

Don't know if you like smooth jazz or not, but if so, there's a South Florida jazz flutist named Nestor Torres whose original compositions and covers are terrific.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZdf0S0sVnE

Possum
12-27-2009, 05:26 AM
.....and you drank too much and had to pee.

Possum
12-27-2009, 05:29 AM
The best podcast is The Lex and Terry Talk Show.... Try it, you'll like it. :hi5:
****ing love that show. too bad i dont get it live in west palm. they are taped delayed till late in the evening.

but anyway goon i suggest zac brown band, brad paisley, darius rucker. dont know if your a country fan but what the heck.

WVDolphan
12-27-2009, 01:42 PM
Just download a bunch of Stones.

GoonBoss
12-27-2009, 01:46 PM
You want country rock (one of my favorite music genres) why screw around with imitators. Go right back to the source and pick up some of "The Band" "Lynnerd Skynnerd" and early "Allman Brothers." Can't do much better than those!

Don't know if you like smooth jazz or not, but if so, there's a South Florida jazz flutist named Nestor Torres whose original compositions and covers are terrific.

I'm already well stocked in Skynard, Molly Hatchet and ABB. :)

Jazz? Not so much.

BobDole
12-27-2009, 02:09 PM

the band and allman brothers are two of my all time favorites. skynyrd is right up there too. very nice.

i'm sure you know all the old stuff i'd recommend - as far as new stuff goes gaslight anthem is pretty damn good. 'the '59 sound' is a really good album.

1 dol fan
12-27-2009, 06:19 PM
****ing love that show. too bad i dont get it live in west palm. they are taped delayed till late in the evening.

but anyway goon i suggest zac brown band, brad paisley, darius rucker. dont know if your a country fan but what the heck.
You listen to WZZR. I used to live in PSL and my Dad used to work for Lex and Terry as a phone guy when they lived in South Florida. The radio station is located in PSL. Have you ever listened to the Love Doctors? They are pretty good. Kind of a L&T light. More realistic though.

Josh Cohen Sucks... just sayin'.

Vaark
12-27-2009, 10:25 PM
the band and allman brothers are two of my all time favorites. skynyrd is right up there too. very nice.

i'm sure you know all the old stuff i'd recommend - as far as new stuff goes gaslight anthem is pretty damn good. 'the '59 sound' is a really good album.

You've got good taste.....coincidentally on another (non sports) forum, they asked all time favorite album and with no hesitation I listed The Band's Self-titled one.

Ricky4Life
12-27-2009, 11:27 PM
If you are an old country fan, can't go wrong with the man in black.

poornate
12-28-2009, 07:15 PM
If you check out Drive-By Truckers, Goon, try "Gangsterbilly" or "Decoration Day" first...

JT-forpresident
12-28-2009, 07:31 PM
Goon, grab some Ryan Adams. Trust me on this. Ryan Adams....not that lousy Canadian, Bryan Adams lol. Ryan Adams is one of my favorite artist. Very underrated. He doesn't get a lot of mainstream play but he's great. Check out lala.com and search for his stuff. You can decide which albums or songs you wish to download. But his "Heartbreaker" album is probably the best album I own out of thousands. Also, grab some Mike Ness. Mike was the lead singer of the Punk band, Social Distortion way back when. Now he does a lot of Country stuff that's great.

C'MON, MAN !

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

:lol: ;)

JT-forpresident
12-28-2009, 07:34 PM
if you like some old school rock... there's this new band that is really good (well, my father is a big time ac/dc , van halen, led zep, deep purple, etc. etc. fan... and he really likes this )

it's called chickenfoot, it's a band constituted by the greatest guitar player (IMHO) , Joe Satriani ... sammy hagar sings, and there are two other dudes i don't know...

here's a video of their big single on their "new" CD, hope you enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDo7lQ6Jt8Q

JT-forpresident
12-28-2009, 07:36 PM
there's this band that really sounds like ACDC too... they are australians, i saw them live in quebec city and they rocked the **** out of the place !

Airborne (you might've heard their songs in madden ... )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBAJjO8rFD0

canesandbhoys
12-28-2009, 10:11 PM
I'm not impressed with FH's taste in music...

poornate
12-28-2009, 11:20 PM

Sigh... why?

GoonBoss
12-28-2009, 11:49 PM
If you check out Drive-By Truckers, Goon, try "Gangsterbilly" or "Decoration Day" first...

I did check them out. I don't know how to place it, but, their sound is a little bit......I dunno...I can't reallyy describe it, but, I haven't heard anyything in the samples that grabs my ear.

GoonBoss
12-28-2009, 11:51 PM
If you are an old country fan, can't go wrong with the man in black.

I do like Cash. He's a lower priorit than newer music though.

GoonBoss
12-28-2009, 11:52 PM

Thanks for your helpful contribution to the thread and the community as a whole.

Vaark
12-29-2009, 12:18 AM
This is one of my all time favorite albums. It's close to 20 years old so it's certainly not new. I'd like to have a dollar for every time I've played it since it came out. Every 6 mos or so I pull it out and play it for a week or two. It's what I call "NY attitude" music but in a good way. I'm recommending it because it was never a terrific commerical success and I doubt you'd run across it otherwise.

It's "Yo Frankie" by Dion (DiMucci). Yes THAT Dion from doowop and Martin Bobby and John fame. He's still going strong and possesses what I believe is one of the best voices ever in rock and roll. What made me think of it is he came on and killed with an updated version of The Wanderer in Paul Simon's segment of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Madison Sq Garden 25th anniversary celebration they've been showing on HBO.

Here's what Amazon users think:
http://www.amazon.com/Yo-Frankie-Dion/dp/B000002VFP

Here's a youtube link to King Of The NY Streets, one of the best songs on the album
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOCW8brdBaE

and another youtube link to "Written on the Subway Walls" which features Paul Simon as well. 2 fantastic songs on a great album
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xynbNneZkmI&feature=related

Gonzo
12-29-2009, 12:58 AM
Joe R's Rambilin Jizzmoper, vol. 3

No, there is no volume 1 or 2.

JT-forpresident
12-29-2009, 04:23 AM

dude you're 19 ... give yourself some time to find out about other musical styles than lil wayne, kid cudi and kanye west...

i listen to just about every musical genre, but our boy goon here wants some rock'n'roll, give him some !!! :kick:

JT-forpresident
12-29-2009, 04:31 AM
one of my favorite guitar songs of all time

i guess some of you know this one...

wait for the 2:25 mark... !!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZezBXcIyGI

Possum
12-29-2009, 04:54 AM
You listen to WZZR. I used to live in PSL and my Dad used to work for Lex and Terry as a phone guy when they lived in South Florida. The radio station is located in PSL. Have you ever listened to the Love Doctors? They are pretty good. Kind of a L&T light. More realistic though.

Josh Cohen Sucks... just sayin'.
i dont catch the love doctors much. my parents have a sick obsession with them. im usually sleeping when they are on.

Possum
12-29-2009, 04:57 AM
just started listening to chickenfoot, the van halen band, not too bad.

Possum
12-29-2009, 04:58 AM
Joe R's Rambilin Jizzmoper, vol. 3

No, there is no volume 1 or 2.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:. are they those songs about unsane/cleo lemon?

GoonBoss
12-29-2009, 09:16 AM
Ok...So far I got;

A Bigger Piece Of Sky; Robert Earl Keen

Blackout and The Warrior's Code; Dropkick Murpheys

Dead Ringer, Bat Out Of Hell, and Midnight At The Lost And Found; Meatloaf

Drunken Lullabies; Flogging Molly

The Eminem Show; Eminem

Recovering The Satellites, August And Everything After; Counting Crows

Exile On Main Street; Rolling Stones

Lucky Ones, Three Days; Pat Green

Moondance; Van Morrison

Rebels, Rouges and Sworn Brothers; Lucero

Super Hits; Rick Trevino

Sinner; Drowning Pool

Sparkle And Fade; Everclear

Tres Hombres, Eliminator; ZZ Top

Villains; The Verve Pipe

One Night With A Stranger; Martin Briley

Then some assorted selections from Blackfoot, and other artist.

canesandbhoys
12-29-2009, 12:14 PM
dude you're 19 ... give yourself some time to find out about other musical styles than lil wayne, kid cudi and kanye west...

i listen to just about every musical genre, but our boy goon here wants some rock'n'roll, give him some !!! :kick:

You're 23, friend... just saying.

As far as Cudi is concerned, I'll be the first to say I am a huge fan. Wayne and Kanye, not so much. I'm aware that I have made myself to appear as more of a hip hop enthusiast than a music enthusiast, but believe me, I have a wide musical knowledge.

As far as rock goes, nearly everything today is absolute garbage. I'm down for anything blues-based. Suuthern Rawk, 80's metal, and Country on the other hand, do not impress me.

Considering the demographic, my suggestions:
-Led Zeppelin
-White Stripes, and The Raconteurs (Jack White is the new Jimmy Page, haha)
-House of Pain
-Blink-182 (Probably for a younger crowd, but hits on things that all generations go through)

Since you are looking for recent music, I would suggest taking a look through these lists. A lot of Indie/Alternative, but many are very good.

http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/lists/2009/11/the-best-albums-of-the-decade.html

http://www.rawkblog.net/2009/09/best-of-the-2000s-top-100-albums-of-the-decade-100-81/

poornate
12-29-2009, 12:20 PM
I think "The Hold Steady" are the best straight rock band playing today... just saying...

Clipse
12-29-2009, 02:16 PM
Wish I could help ya Goon, but don't know much about that genre. Now if you start craving some metal...

BobDole
12-29-2009, 05:58 PM
Ok...So far I got;

A Bigger Piece Of Sky; Robert Earl Keen

Blackout and The Warrior's Code; Dropkick Murpheys

Dead Ringer, Bat Out Of Hell, and Midnight At The Lost And Found; Meatloaf

Drunken Lullabies; Flogging Molly

The Eminem Show; Eminem

Recovering The Satellites, August And Everything After; Counting Crows

Exile On Main Street; Rolling Stones

Lucky Ones, Three Days; Pat Green

Moondance; Van Morrison

Rebels, Rouges and Sworn Brothers; Lucero

Super Hits; Rick Trevino

Sinner; Drowning Pool

Sparkle And Fade; Everclear

Tres Hombres, Eliminator; ZZ Top

Villains; The Verve Pipe

One Night With A Stranger; Martin Briley

Then some assorted selections from Blackfoot, and other artist.

you got 3 of my favorites on there. you probably know these, but they are must haves for those artists:

flogging molly: whistles the wind, if i ever leave this world alive, what's left of the flag, rebels of the sacred heart, the rare ould times, far away boys, tomorrow comes a day too soon, and seven deadly sins.

dropkick murphy's: the green fields of france, blood and whiskey, kiss me i'm ****faced, the gangs all here, irish drinking song, tessie, the walking dead, and wicked sensitive crew.

van morrison: and it stoned me, these are the days, sweet thing, this weight, into the mystic, tupelo honey, bright side of the road, etc. they also did some great stuff with the chieftains and bb king. huge van morrison fan. i could've - and was about to - list about 30 more van morrison songs.

Tetragrammaton
12-29-2009, 06:03 PM
Moondance is probably my favorite Van Morrison album. Good choice.

JT-forpresident
12-29-2009, 08:22 PM
you got 3 of my favorites on there. you probably know these, but they are must haves for those artists:

flogging molly: whistles the wind, if i ever leave this world alive, what's left of the flag, rebels of the sacred heart, the rare ould times, far away boys, tomorrow comes a day too soon, and seven deadly sins.

dropkick murphy's: the green fields of france, blood and whiskey, kiss me i'm ****faced, the gangs all here, irish drinking song, tessie, the walking dead, and wicked sensitive crew.

van morrison: and it stoned me, these are the days, sweet thing, this weight, into the mystic, tupelo honey, bright side of the road, etc. they also did some great stuff with the chieftains and bb king. huge van morrison fan. i could've - and was about to - list about 30 more van morrison songs.

you forgot " **** you i'm drunk" ... which is absolutely beautiful when you're in that exact situation :lol:

GoonBoss
12-29-2009, 10:01 PM
Moondance is probably my favorite Van Morrison album. Good choice.

Crazy Love and Into The Mystic are probably two of my favorite songs ever

Possum
12-30-2009, 04:14 AM
you forgot " **** you i'm drunk" ... which is absolutely beautiful when you're in that exact situation :lol:
:up:. if you ever got a chance lookup "the scotsman" on youtube.

JPPT1974
12-30-2009, 10:30 PM
Hope you enjoy it!