PDA

View Full Version : Urban Meyer stepping down at Florida

Roman529
12-26-2009, 07:58 PM
Wow, big news in College Football.....just heard it on ESPN.

finfan3223
12-26-2009, 08:00 PM
Yeah I just seen it on the Pitt-UNC game. Im shocked right now to be honest with you. All I got to say is ITS ALL ABOUT DA U :up:

RustyGator
12-26-2009, 08:06 PM
My sports world has been flipped upside down this last month. First Tiger. Now Urban. Health reasons? Sheesh. I hope he's ok! It must be pretty bad...football is his life.

PhinsRDbest
12-26-2009, 08:07 PM
That's probably why he didn't take the Notre Dame job.

RustyGator
12-26-2009, 08:11 PM
He's not a big liar like Nick Satan. He said he was staying at the University of Florida and he meant it (at least for this upcoming year). Apparently he has some cranial cyst. I wonder if they found cancer? Ugh. Poor guy. I pray for him and I hope others on here do as well as much as you might hate him. God speed Urban Meyer. Us Gator fans will miss you!

finfan3223
12-26-2009, 08:12 PM
They said he has no immediate health concerns. He just has a broken heart about Tebow leaving :boohoo:

Roman529
12-26-2009, 08:12 PM
Maybe he or someone in his family have some serious health issues? Urban is too young to retire.

JCane
12-26-2009, 08:15 PM
I just did six backflips and high-stepped my way into a make believe end zone.

:lol:

Looooooooooooooooooooooove it!

Matt Elam, Mack Brown, Gerald Christian, Leon Orr....come on down to Coral Gables.

ChadHenne
12-26-2009, 08:19 PM
I think I remember Urban Meyer believed he had a brain tumor at the age of 39, only to find out it was an arachnoid cyst caused by stress. I know he tries to stay so composed and level headed on the sidelines because he gets major headaches from a prior condition.

I'm so sad right now, we are going to be so bad next year.

I've narrowed it down to three names most likely, Randy Edsel (sp?), Butch Davis, and finally, STEVE SPURRIER.

I'm still upset he waited so long to resign, if he would've done this earlier we could've hired Charlie Strong, who is going to be one hell of a coach.

finfan3223
12-26-2009, 08:19 PM
I just did six backflips and high-stepped my way into a make believe end zone.

Looooooooooooooooooooooove it!

Matt Elam, Mack Brown, Gerald Christian, Leon Orr....come on down to Coral Gables.

I agree :sidelol::sidelol::sidelol:

JCane
12-26-2009, 08:28 PM
I think I remember Urban Meyer believed he had a brain tumor at the age of 39, only to find out it was an arachnoid cyst caused by stress. I know he tries to stay so composed and level headed on the sidelines because he gets major headaches from a prior condition.

I'm so sad right now, we are going to be so bad next year.

I've narrowed it down to three names most likely, Randy Edsel (sp?), Butch Davis, and finally, STEVE SPURRIER.

I'm still upset he waited so long to resign, if he would've done this earlier we could've hired Charlie Strong, who is going to be one hell of a coach.

North Carolina is playing right now. But if someone tells Butch Davis that Urban Meyer has stepped down, Butch will quit and whore himself out to Florida before this game is over.

I think Harbaugh becomes a hot candidate immediately.

Roman529
12-26-2009, 08:32 PM
Look for the Old Ball Coach (Spurrier) to head back to Gainesville.

PhinsRDbest
Where is my umbrella?? A Tebow rain shower warning alert just flashed on the tv.

JCane
Why hasn't Tim Tebow cured Urban Meyer????

chrisbaucom
12-26-2009, 09:20 PM
Urban got caught night putting...putting at night with the 17 year old daughter of the dean.

CedarPhin
12-26-2009, 10:04 PM
Well, I think this is good for UM recruiting-wise, but since we've been out-recruited by an empty desk at FSU at some points, I don't know how well-off we'll actually be.

At any point, this probably makes it a 2 horse race between FSU and UM in Florida again, depending on whether or not they can get their **** back together.

I don't like Meyer, I don't like the Gators, but I hope everything's OK for him health-wise.

Kdawg954
12-26-2009, 10:06 PM
Y'all didn't know . . . Urban is gonna be the new coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars . . . and draft Tebow in the first round. He will force HIS spread offense in the NFL. Well he may trade that first rounder to Minnesota and get Percy Harvin and hope that TEbow falls to round 2. Hell he has Derrick Harvey there . . .maybe Demps in the third . . . the Jacksonville Gators . . . bet he sells out that first year :lol:

CedarPhin
12-26-2009, 10:09 PM
Eh, I don't see him coaching anywhere next year. I thought he'd go to the NFL at first, but if he really does have a heart problem, he'll be taking it easy for awhile.

Kdawg954
12-26-2009, 10:17 PM
Nah I respect that, I don't wish bad health on nobody . . . but I just don't like the guy.

Adam First
12-26-2009, 11:04 PM
He's setting himself up when Bill Belichick resigns in January.

Namor
12-26-2009, 11:48 PM
He's not a big liar like Nick Satan. He said he was staying at the University of Florida and he meant it (at least for this upcoming year). Apparently he has some cranial cyst. I wonder if they found cancer? Ugh. Poor guy. I pray for him and I hope others on here do as well as much as you might hate him. God speed Urban Meyer. Us Gator fans will miss you!

One.Why bring up Nick?..except that whipping he took in Atlanta is what caused Meyer's health problem.
I bet you anything Urban takes anther job somewhere down the line.

dolfan94
12-27-2009, 12:46 AM
First, hope all gets better for him healthwise.

2nd: How does this affect UM recruitingwise? I think it helps us up bigtime.

Pretty funny that he decides to call it quits when the going gets rough. He's had this condition for awhile appaerently, and now he decides to call it quits?

ChadHenne
12-27-2009, 01:36 AM
According to reports, he had a heart attack midway through the season, and didn't tell anybody on the team about the issue.

It had nothing to do with losing that final game, he just wanted to finish out the season because he felt an obligation to his team and players. I wish Meyer a speedy recovery, and I don't care if he takes another job soon down the line. I'll actually be happy because that means he is back in good condition.

The stress that is on him has to be tremendous, you can tell how much stress he has when a 45 year old suffers a heart attack. It's sad, but I think he made the right move for him and his family, and I am grateful for all the success he gave Gator Nation, and that he has built this program up to be a perennial powerhouse. Thank you Urban, although you may be out as coach, you will always be in the hearts of the fans for years to come.

Possum
12-27-2009, 01:37 AM
cedar puts it best.

My Christmas gift came from Gainesville today.

MelbournePhin
12-27-2009, 03:22 AM
this will help fsu as well as um

X-Pacolypse
12-27-2009, 01:04 PM
I'm not a Gators fan, don't really care for the folks in Gainesville either. Having said that, I hope Urban gets his health issues straightened out and will hopefully coach again someday.

BobDole
12-27-2009, 01:59 PM
i don't think anyone in gainesville knew this was going to happen. if they did, strong would've stuck around to assume head coaching duties. no way he would have left for louisville had he known he had a chance to coach at the premier destination in college football. i'm sure he's kicking himself right about now.

this isn't necessarily the end of the world for the gators either. i'd like to have spurrier back. strong would be a great head coach - maybe we could steal him back from louisville. gruden wouldn't be a bad choice. there are a few possibilities i wouldn't be upset about.

and many of our recruits have said they won't de-commit after they heard the news. as far as the guys who haven't decided yet, who knows.

Namor
12-27-2009, 02:41 PM
i don't think anyone in gainesville knew this was going to happen. if they did, strong would've stuck around to assume head coaching duties. no way he would have left for louisville had he known he had a chance to coach at the premier destination in college football. i'm sure he's kicking himself right about now.

this isn't necessarily the end of the world for the gators either. i'd like to have spurrier back. strong would be a great head coach - maybe we could steal him back from louisville. gruden wouldn't be a bad choice. there are a few possibilities i wouldn't be upset about.

and many of our recruits have said they won't de-commit after they heard the news. as far as the guys who haven't decided yet, who knows.

That's my question..if this has been going on for years,why didn't he make
arangements sooner? Strong or Mullen last year,instead of letting them
take other jobs?
Something just isn't right.

chrisbaucom
12-27-2009, 04:40 PM
Mortensen reporting that he is probably only taking a 1 year leave of absence. He is trying to save the recruits for UF. I don't wish bad on Urban, but I can't stand him and think he has other motives for this move.

LouPhinFan
12-27-2009, 06:11 PM
Whatever finally happens with Meyer, my only thought is this:

Florida can't have Coach Strong back. I refuse to allow it. He is now a Cardinal and that is the end of that.

TedSlimmJr
12-28-2009, 12:05 AM
take other jobs?

If Urban's health is really in enough jeopardy to force him to make this decision....then by all means the only thing I have to say is I hope he gets his health back in order...

That said....if this has been going on for years...it seems like he would've made arrangements by not letting Mullen and Strong leave for other jobs...

..unless Foley already had no desire for either of them to be the head coach anyway......Strong was a good recruiter...

SpurzN703
12-28-2009, 12:15 PM
Since Tebow will be gone, this assclown wants to leave the team until they get another QB who will save face.

Brett Favre 2.0

HurriPhin
12-28-2009, 01:02 PM
Urban's a joke. He's just afraid because the going is about to get tough at UFelons and his boyfriend, Teblow, is leaving him. Funny how Shelley claimed he won't change his mind and the very next day after a "spirited" practice he decides to take a leave of absence, DURING THE OFFSEASON. Sounds more like ThugUF is trying save their recruiting than a man who claims health concerns. Hope he sticks around till 2013 so we can kick his sorry *** up and down the field.

BobDole
12-28-2009, 01:15 PM
take other jobs?

no clue. it sounds like he had a serious episode and didn't want to leave his children fatherless. there are, after all, more important things than football (bite my tongue). i don't think there was anything necessarily 'up' with this - i just think urban was worried about the combination of heart condition and stress being the end of him sooner rather than later.

but i guess he's coming back - and not allowing addazio to brutally rape the organization - so that's good at least.

MelbournePhin
12-31-2009, 03:18 PM
fsu just stole a 5 star recruit in matt elam from uf. jimbo fisher is on fire

BobDole
12-31-2009, 03:38 PM
fsu just stole a 5 star recruit in matt elam from uf. jimbo fisher is on fire

he's only a 4 star - but fugg either way. how is FSU getting all these guys? son of a whore.

JCane
12-31-2009, 03:47 PM
he's only a 4 star - but fugg either way. how is FSU getting all these guys? son of a whore.

Elam is definitely a five-star recruit. 14th overall in the country I believe. They now have Elam and Joyner on top of last year landing Greg Reid—who I think by Junior season will be the best player in the country. Florida State now has three five-star recruits while both Florida and Miami have zero. How are they doing it? Meyer bailed for one. So that leaves Florida State and Miami as options. Would you want to play for Randy Shannon? Florida State can sell these kids on a whole new philosophy now with Bowden out.

What's really sad is that Randy Shannon was out recruited by empty desks in Tallahassee.

BobDole
12-31-2009, 04:52 PM
Elam is definitely a five-star recruit. 14th overall in the country I believe. They now have Elam and Joyner on top of last year landing Greg Reid—who I think by Junior season will be the best player in the country. Florida State now has three five-star recruits while both Florida and Miami have zero. How are they doing it? Meyer bailed for one. So that leaves Florida State and Miami as options. Would you want to play for Randy Shannon? Florida State can sell these kids on a whole new philosophy now with Bowden out.

What's really sad is that Randy Shannon was out recruited by empty desks in Tallahassee.

oops ... yeah you're right. i was thinking about that stupid espn grading thing for some reason. super weak that they stole our only 5 star guy.

wasn't shannon's thing recruiting? what's the deal?

Oraclepz
12-31-2009, 05:01 PM
Im hoping we could pluck a few 3/4 stars away from Florida myself.. lol

Since now that Bobbys gone Jim Levitt is the Dean of Coaches in FL... I Never get into stars of a recruit.. I like Depth... gimme alot of 3stars 4stars.. im good. not to say 5 stars arent great ... but even George Selvie himself was a 2 star recruit...