PDA

View Full Version : if it's true...

hooshoops
12-27-2009, 09:03 PM
we're locked into the 11-14 range with our first round pick now...

dez bryant thou shall not pass

dez bryant needs to be wearing aqua and orange next season

DaytonaDolFan13
12-27-2009, 09:14 PM
ERIC BERRY S or McCLAIN! MCCLAIN ILB!

hooshoops
12-27-2009, 09:18 PM
nah...i'd look to free agency for an ilb or a later pick in the draft...mcclain would be on my list also but not over dez bryant...the bryant game tape is way too good...physical player highpoints the ball creates separation...can't be tackled by 1 guy...by far the best wr in this draft imo

as for berry he and suh are the best 2 players in the draft so i would be stoked to get him as well...absolutely

berry
bryant
mcclain

tcolli17
12-27-2009, 09:39 PM
If either Bryant or McClain are there, we have to take them. Either would fill great needs on our team. I would say that we need a fast ILB more than we need a true #1 wideout, but we do need them both.

hooshoops
12-27-2009, 09:44 PM
you pass on eric berry you're gonna regret it...best safety prospect in a long long time...he can cover anybody on the field

no more te's eating our lunch cause our safeties don't have the hips and change of direction and instincts to play the position...eric berry has all pro written all over him

but yeah i'd take bryant and mcclain if berry was gone and know i filled a huge need with a heck of a player

SR 7
12-27-2009, 10:14 PM
Berry is going top 3-5.
Suh is top 2-3.
McClain 6-15.
Bryant 3-10.

hooshoops
12-27-2009, 10:19 PM
Berry is going top 3-5.
Suh is top 2-3.
McClain 6-15.
Bryant 3-10.

on talent i agree but if you look at some of the team needs of teams who draft in front of us i can see one of those guys maybe more being available when we pick...especially if we're in the 11-14 range on draft day

Ricky4Life
12-27-2009, 10:56 PM
I lean more towards Bryant if his there over McClain if we sign Karlos Dansby or another stud LBer in the draft. But I have a feeling we will be bringing in a FA WR and drafting a WR in the later rounds. I think we will be going OLB in the first round.

ChadHenne
12-27-2009, 11:00 PM
on talent i agree but if you look at some of the team needs of teams who draft in front of us i can see one of those guys maybe more being available when we pick...especially if we're in the 11-14 range on draft day

Actually, SR 7 is 100% correct on his estimates.

I say with the position we are in, Dez Bryant or Rolando McClain would be dream first round picks. I think anybody else in that spot would be a dissapointment (I'm not talking about the Berry's and the Suh's of the world, they'll be gone).

If we draft Bryant, we need to look at a Micah Johnson type player in the 4th round area, we should look at Jermaine Gresham in the 2nd, and if he isn't available grab Pitta in the 2nd and get Major Wright or possibly Jonathon Dwyer in the 4th round.

I also expect guys like Jimmy Graham to be targeted in the 4th-5th round. In the later rounds we should obviously take a look at Myron Rolle or Danny McCray.

If we drafted Rolando McClain, we should target a guy like Benn or if he falls to us Golden Tate in the 2nd round.

There's a lot of possibilities, but as I have stated before, we'll have a clearer picture of things in April, so right now all we are doing is speculating.

houtz
12-27-2009, 11:11 PM
Now the big thing...

Would you want to lose the game to Pittsburgh if it meant getting Dez Bryant?

Ricky4Life
12-27-2009, 11:15 PM
Now the big thing...

I think now if we lose it will not hurt as bad as we know playoffs are out of the picture for the most part(unless a miracle of biblical proportions happens). So to me either way does not matter but, I would prefer the draft spot. ;)

ChadHenne
12-27-2009, 11:16 PM
Now the big thing...

Now that is a legitimate question. However, we don't even know if Bryant will fall to us. The Browns and the Chiefs have both expressed great interest in drafting a WR this year. I'd rather win in Pittsburgh, hope for a playoff spot, and pray McClain or Bryant by some miracle falls to us.

I will add that I won't be devastated if we lose against Pitt.

hooshoops
12-27-2009, 11:27 PM
Now the big thing...

yes...if we can't make the playoffs pretty much i'm all for it...but i think pittsburgh will take care of that for us

hooshoops
12-27-2009, 11:29 PM
Now that is a legitimate question. However, we don't even know if Bryant will fall to us. The Browns and the Chiefs have both expressed great interest in drafting a WR this year. I'd rather win in Pittsburgh, hope for a playoff spot, and pray McClain or Bryant by some miracle falls to us.

I will add that I won't be devastated if we lose against Pitt.

the browns have a new front office and just spent 2 high round picks on wr last year plus no proven qb

the chiefs has an awful oline who could use an upgrade plus poor interior dline and lb play...they could go wr that high but i doubt it personally

ckparrothead
12-28-2009, 02:00 AM
Some thoughts...

1. Someone asked me, given where we're set to select, who would I be "giddy" if became available to us. The answer is Dez Bryant, Eric Berry and C.J. Spiller. You don't get a shot at talents like theirs very often.

2. I find myself agreeing with hooshoops on nearly everything he says. There may be an ILB solution for us in this free agent period, so let's not go nuts over Rolondo McClain yet. And I'm not even saying that as a Brandon Spikes proponent, I'm saying that as a realist.

3. NFL Draft Scout has Brandon Spikes rated as their #7 overall talent in the entire draft. They haven't added the juniors in yet, but it's nice to see someone else agree with my point of view on Spikes' potential value at the NFL level...especially when that someone else is a site that has their ears to the tracks as superbly as they do when it comes to how the scouts are valuing certain players.

4. Dez Bryant or no Dez Bryant, there's somewhat of a chance to get something done at that position in the free agent period as well. While it seems doubtful Miles Austin or Vincent Jackson would make it out as free agents, IMO Antonio Bryant would be an excellent addition. Also, we *know* that this staff have a high opinion of Braylon Edwards. We know this because at draft time they came very close to pulling the trigger on a trade that would have sent Ronnie Brown to Cleveland for Braylon Edwards straight up. They shelved that trade, never re-visited, and Edwards had a chance to potentially kill us twice this year. If the Jets don't get him locked up...watch out. Miami has the QB that took Braylon Edwards to the BCS Championship Game as a mere freshman. There has to be some draw for him down here.

NAPPS
12-28-2009, 02:21 AM
Those of you hoping for this team to lose next week need to stop being pro football fans and stick to the madden fantasy drafts. How can you call yourself a fan you play to win the game not for next year.

MP-Omnis
12-28-2009, 02:38 AM
Those of you hoping for this team to lose next week need to stop being pro football fans and stick to the madden fantasy drafts. How can you call yourself a fan you play to win the game not for next year.

We missed the playoffs so saving face is useless.

How much better is Dez Bryant than the tall WR talent coming out for 2011? That's the real question. I think we can get the job done with someone like Antonio Bryant and the receivers we already have. (Yeah, I really did just say that :chuckle:)

I'm no expert, but I think a McClain/Spikes or Jerry Hughes 1st round pick with Morgan Burnett or Earl Thomas (dreaming on this one lol) 2nd would be the way to go. Then get either an OLB or Micah Johnson and a NT.

Alternatively, we could go with Dan Williams and then try to pick up other linebackers and maybe try out a safety.

TedSlimmJr
12-28-2009, 02:42 AM
Doesn't really make much difference at this point anyway....

Miami was mixed in with a pack of over half a dozen AFC teams with 7-7 records a week ago...

I'd rather Miami be picking at the front of that pack come April as opposed to watching them be down by 4 touchdowns at halftime of another first round blowout on the road in the playoffs...

The cheerleaders around here received the distinct pleasure of their first round playoff *** whipping last year...

Phinatic8u
12-28-2009, 02:48 AM
Doesn't really make much difference at this point anyway....

Miami was mixed in with a pack of over half a dozen AFC teams with 7-7 records a week ago...

I'd rather Miami be picking at the front of that pack come April as opposed to watching them be down by 4 touchdowns at halftime of another first round blowout on the road in the playoffs...

The cheerleaders around here received the distinct pleasure of their first round playoff *** whipping last year...

I said the same thing & got called a disgrace to all Fin Fans. lol.

TedSlimmJr
12-28-2009, 02:55 AM
I said the same thing & got called a disgrace to all Fin Fans. lol.

Meh...who gives a **** what they call you....you dont have to prove anything to the FINNIEST FIN FANS in all of FIN FAN LAND...

If it's your opinion on what the best scenario is to increase the chances of the team acquiring a much needed impact player in the draft...then that's your opinion...

WelcomeBack
12-28-2009, 02:55 AM
As I've said, Dez Bryant gives me the same feeling as Hakeem Nicks did last year, even greater actually. He'd be a number 1 in this league, and on this team him and Henne could do wonders. It should help us from playing from behind in games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FJcT_NYV2Q

WelcomeBack
12-28-2009, 02:57 AM
Meh...who gives a **** what they call you....you dont have to prove anything to the FINNIEST FIN FANS in all of FIN FAN LAND...

If it's your opinion on what the best scenario is to increase the chances of the team acquiring a much needed impact player in the draft...then that's your opinion...

Yea. So many people feel that their standards are what everyone needs to reach, and it's not even close to that.

What really describes a true fan? I get upset after a loss, but if I'm not suicidal and cursing every member of the team, am I not a true fan?

It seems like Finheaven should have a hotline after a loss that helps people cope with a loss.

ZachThomas76
12-28-2009, 03:04 AM
Yea. So many people feel that their standards are what everyone needs to reach, and it's not even close to that.

What really describes a true fan? I get upset after a loss, but if I'm not suicidal and cursing every member of the team, am I not a true fan?

It seems like Finheaven should have a hotline after a loss that helps people cope with a loss.

The "real fans" are the ones who come on here after a loss and want 10 players cut and the entire coaching staff axed. ( I will say that Sparano also worries me a bit, I see him as nothing more than a motivator.) These "real fans" also say things during Sundays like "Ted Ginn runs really fast" "throw the f****n ball, Ginn was wide open." "oh man, why did you run to the left?" "look out, look out, throw it" " get me another beer" " I could have caught that" " our wr core is just fine" " Joey and JT are going to terrorize qb's" "Tom Brady sucks" and so on............. these are your real fans. they see the game on a level i can only dream of.

TedSlimmJr
12-28-2009, 03:07 AM
The "real fans" are the ones who come on here after a loss and want 10 players cut and the entire coaching staff axed. ( I will say that Sparano also worries me a bit, I see him as nothing more than a motivator.) These "real fans" also say things during Sundays like "Ted Ginn runs really fast" "throw the f****n ball, Ginn was wide open." "oh man, why did you run to the left?" "look out, look out, throw it" " get me another beer" " I could have caught that" " our wr core is just fine" " Joey and JT are going to terrorize qb's" "Tom Brady sucks" and so on............. these are your real fans. they see the game on a level i can only dream of.

:chuckle:

WelcomeBack
12-28-2009, 03:07 AM
I just root for my team and hope for the best.

Doesn't that count?

Or do I have to criticize everything?

ZachThomas76
12-28-2009, 03:17 AM

Doesn't that count?

Nah, to each their own. But when I see obvious shortcomings with my favourite team, Im not going to pretend they arent there. Id rather acknowledge them and hope they are dealt with, than just think cheering really hard will make everything ok. The thing about the cheerleader types is they spew all kinds of unrealistic crap, but then never own up to it. Thats why I no longer take that type of fan seriously.

TedSlimmJr
12-28-2009, 03:17 AM

Doesn't that count?

Some people can just smell a rat a mile away....they're few and far between....but they often bring the most knowledge to fan message boards rather than just blend in with all the *** kissing and pom-pom waving...

They could sense it with John Beck when it wasn't POPULAR to bash him....they could see it with Ginn when it wasn't POPULAR to bash him....they could sense it with Cam Cameron when it wasn't POPULAR to bash him....they could see it with Jason Allen when it wasn't POPULAR to bash him...

Goon summed it all up best in one simple post a while back...

"Put the player/coach in a Jets uniform and see if the arguement you're trying to make still holds up"....

Being a fan doesn't mean you're required to be naive...

#1dolphinsfan
12-28-2009, 03:18 AM
IF bryant is still there and miami passes on him i will be pissed

WelcomeBack
12-28-2009, 03:22 AM
Some people can just smell a rat a mile away....they're few and far between....but they often bring the most knowledge to fan message boards rather than just blend in with all the *** kissing and pom-pom waving...

They could sense it with John Beck when it wasn't POPULAR to bash him....they could see it with Ginn when it wasn't POPULAR to bash him....they could sense it with Cam Cameron when it wasn't POPULAR to bash him....they could see it with Jason Allen when it wasn't POPULAR to bash him...

"Put the player/coach in a Jets uniform and see if the arguement you're trying to make still holds up"....

Being a fan doesn't mean you're required to be nieve...

I mean, I see all the flaws. I worry about them. But, I'm more of a sit back kind of guy. I don't care if someone wants to cuss out the world, or praise the worst player on the team...it's just when people criticize others for the way the vent that confuses me. I just don't understand how one person can determine what a "true fan" is and call others out for not living up to a random person's standard.

But, I agree with you.

ZachThomas76
12-28-2009, 03:23 AM

Being a fan doesn't mean you're required to be nieve...

On that same line of reasoning, Revis and David Harris would be gods if wearing teal. I bashed Beck and Ginn from the beginning. crap is crap, as some of us know.

ZachThomas76
12-28-2009, 03:26 AM
I mean, I see all the flaws. I worry about them. But, I'm more of a sit back kind of guy. I don't care if someone wants to cuss out the world, or praise the worst player on the team...it's just when people criticize others for the way the vent that confuses me. I just don't understand how one person can determine what a "true fan" is and call others out for not living up to a random person's standard.

But, I agree with you.

Most of the ppl who pull the "real fan" bs out are the ones who know they are over matched if they actually start to talk football and not just cheer. Ive sat back for a long time waiting for some competent football ppl to run this team, and then they go and try and get cute and draft Pat White.

WelcomeBack
12-28-2009, 03:29 AM
Most of the ppl who pull the "real fan" bs out are the ones who know they are over matched if they actually start to talk football and not just cheer. Ive sat back for a long time waiting for some competent football ppl to run this team, and then they go and try and get cute and draft Pat White.

Unfortunately.

A majority of the picks I can understand and some are coming along nicely. While I won't judge White fully until I see what they are really planning for him in the long haul, I still would have been happier to see Clint Sintim here.

ZachThomas76
12-28-2009, 03:33 AM
Unfortunately.

A majority of the picks I can understand and some are coming along nicely. While I won't judge White fully until I see what they are really planning for him in the long haul, I still would have been happier to see Clint Sintim here.

Max Unger or Massaquoi Id take over White as well. It was a luxury pick for a team thats stacked and just wants a toy on offense. Unless he can start making plays with his arm, having him come in to simply hand the ball off seems pointless.

TedSlimmJr
12-28-2009, 03:33 AM

But, I agree with you.

I think what you're talking about comes from insecurity in their own "fanhood"......for lack of a better term..

Lets face it....if the raving lunatics didn't care and weren't passionate about their team...they wouldn't even take the time to point what concerns them....or flat out call a spade a spade...

These are professional athletes and coaches making millions of dollars....and some fans feel the need to protect them from criticism like they're 6 year old pee wee leaguers..

Some fans don't require delusional expectations to remain loyal to the team and organization....they can see it for it is (this goes for individual players as well) and still remain loyal Dolphin fans....

Hell I've been doing it longer than most these kids have been alive....there's nothing to prove in here....

WelcomeBack
12-28-2009, 03:34 AM
Max Unger or Massaquoi Id take over White as well. It was a luxury pick for a team thats stacked and just wants a toy on offense. Unless he can start making plays with his arm, having him come in to simply hand the ball off seems pointless.

I do wonder what would have happened if he hit Ginn during the Atlanta game.

ZachThomas76
12-28-2009, 03:37 AM
I do wonder what would have happened if he hit Ginn during the Atlanta game.

Thats easy. Ginn would have dropped the ball. btw, Unger can play c or g, given the injury history of Grove and Smiley would have made sense to me.

WelcomeBack
12-28-2009, 03:38 AM
I think what you're talking about comes from insecurity in their own "fanhood"......for lack of a better term..

Lets face it....if the raving lunatics didn't care and weren't passionate about their team...they wouldn't even take the time to point what concerns them....or flat out call a spade a spade...

These are professional athletes and coaches making millions of dollars....and some fans feel the need to protect them from criticism like they're 6 year old pee wee leaguers..

Some fans don't require dilusional expectations to remain loyal to the team and organization....they can see it for it is (this goes for individual players as well) and still remain loyal Dolphin fans....

Hell I've been doing it longer than most these kids have been alive....there's nothing to prove in here....

Yea. I was mainly wondering about this post in this thread.

A fan can feel any way he wants and express himself in any form. But I guess this guy feels we should all live up to his standard of fanhood.

If we are out of the playoffs, pending some huge miracle...and have a good shot at making this team better, I'm not gonna blast someone for wanting to lose vs. the Steelers.

WelcomeBack
12-28-2009, 03:39 AM
Thats easy. Ginn would have dropped the ball.

:lol:

Sad, but probably true the way he was the first half of the season.

WelcomeBack
12-28-2009, 03:40 AM
Thats easy. Ginn would have dropped the ball. btw, Unger can play c or g, given the injury history of Grove and Smiley would have made sense to me.

Good, versatile lineman are never a bad thing to have.

ZachThomas76
12-28-2009, 03:42 AM
Yea. I was mainly wondering about this post in this thread.

A fan can feel any way he wants and express himself in any form. But I guess this guy feels we should all live up to his standard of fanhood.

If we are out of the playoffs, pending some huge miracle...and have a good shot at making this team better, I'm not gonna blast someone for wanting to lose vs. the Steelers.

at this point it makes no sense to win just for pride and so some fans can feel all warm and fuzzy goin into the offseason. id rather have a shot at a playmaker at wr or a guy who will make a difference on D. possibly picking 10 spots ahead based on 1 less win? ill take one less win.

WelcomeBack
12-28-2009, 03:43 AM
at this point it makes no sense to win just for pride and so some fans can feel all warm and fuzzy goin into the offseason. id rather have a shot at a playmaker at wr or a guy who will make a difference on D. possibly picking 10 spots ahead based on 1 less win? ill take one less win.

Call me a horrible fan, but if it possibly means Dez Bryant, I don't care if we lose to Pitt.

Clipse
12-28-2009, 08:16 AM
McClain > Bryant

houtz
12-28-2009, 10:26 AM
McClain > Bryant

There's a better chance Bryant is there then McClain IMO.

hooshoops
12-28-2009, 10:32 AM
We missed the playoffs so saving face is useless.

How much better is Dez Bryant than the tall WR talent coming out for 2011? That's the real question. I think we can get the job done with someone like Antonio Bryant and the receivers we already have. (Yeah, I really did just say that :chuckle:)

I'm no expert, but I think a McClain/Spikes or Jerry Hughes 1st round pick with Morgan Burnett or Earl Thomas (dreaming on this one lol) 2nd would be the way to go. Then get either an OLB or Micah Johnson and a NT.

Alternatively, we could go with Dan Williams and then try to pick up other linebackers and maybe try out a safety.

i don't know about you but i plan on making the playoffs in 2010 and maybe winning a playoff game so i think that likely we'll be picking in the 20's next year...there are highly rated wrs in next years class but who's to say any of those guys are on the board when we pick???

dez bryant is far and away the best wr in this class...look at the tape...it's not close and he fills a huge position of need with the bpa...

in fact as long as we go bpa at position of need we'll be fine and there are plenty of candidates...

in order and in stone lol...

eric berry fs
dez bryant wr
rolando mcclain ilb
cj spiller rb
jermaine gresham te
jerry hughes wolb

i only have the weakside olb hughes that late cause there are conflicting opinions amongst us as to what cameron wake is long term...some see him as a long term situational pass rusher only with his hands in the dirt others think he's the longterm weakside backer...

dan williams i love as a nose but right now he doesn't warrant top 15 consideration for me...

and i don't for the life of me see any potential strongside backer warranting a top 15 or even 20 pick...

cj spiller is a rare talent and playmaker

dr.jake
12-28-2009, 10:34 AM
the worst place to finish in either conference is last team to miss the playoffs. 2nd worst spot is first round playoff elimination. we made the playoffs last year and took a step back this year. i'm not heartbroken if we pick up 3-4 draft slots 2010.

Dolphin Dave
12-28-2009, 11:07 AM
IDK, I would rather take ILB like Spikes or McClain than a WR like Dez Bryant. I feel that a linebacker could come in and have more of an immediate impact than a rookie WR.

hooshoops
12-28-2009, 11:19 AM
lol...dez bryant from the day he sets his foot in miami would be our best wr and contribute immediately...sure looks that way on tape to me

just about all of those guys i listed come in from day 1 and contribute...heck they all may even start from day 1

spiller and hughes would depend on what happens with ronnie and wake this offseason but they'd all contribute and be long term staples of this team

of course...if we were to plug a position of need in free agency well i'd just go to the next position of need bpa

TedSlimmJr
12-28-2009, 12:05 PM
i don't know about you but i plan on making the playoffs in 2010 and maybe winning a playoff game so i think that likely we'll be picking in the 20's next year...there are highly rated wrs in next years class but who's to say any of those guys are on the board when we pick???

dez bryant is far and away the best wr in this class...look at the tape...it's not close and he fills a huge position of need with the bpa...

in fact as long as we go bpa at position of need we'll be fine and there are plenty of candidates...

in order and in stone lol...

eric berry fs
dez bryant wr
rolando mcclain ilb
cj spiller rb
jermaine gresham te
jerry hughes wolb

i only have the weakside olb hughes that late cause there are conflicting opinions amongst us as to what cameron wake is long term...some see him as a long term situational pass rusher only with his hands in the dirt others think he's the longterm weakside backer...

dan williams i love as a nose but right now he doesn't warrant top 15 consideration for me...

and i don't for the life of me see any potential strongside backer warranting a top 15 or even 20 pick...

cj spiller is a rare talent and playmaker

The great thing about all these guys is....any one of them immediately becomes the best player on that unit most likely....

I just don't see these guys using a 1st round pick on a WR....I don't think it happens...

Especially not if they've been in attendance in ANY of the games this year and watched Miami's defense perform...

hooshoops
12-28-2009, 12:20 PM
i hear that also but taking need over bpa available at a position of need is imo a mistake...

for me dez bryant is a top 10 player in this draft...period... heck he may be top 5 for me

so on my board dez bryant comes over any other player on defense who i don't have above bryant regardless of how the d has looked or the needs on d...

the only guy i have at a position of need on defense rated higher than dez bryant is eric berry

so i think it's a mistake to take a guy rated lower at a position of need just because the defense needs upgrade...so does wr so does rb...so does te etc

take the bpa at position of need...

now i can see the argument of passing on spiller cause there's other rbs a little later we can get who can fill that void

TedSlimmJr
12-28-2009, 12:33 PM
i hear that also but taking need over bpa available at a position of need is imo a mistake...

for me dez bryant is a top 10 player in this draft...period... heck he may be top 5 for me

so on my board dez bryant comes over any other player on defense who i don't have above bryant regardless of how the d has looked or the needs on d...

the only guy i have at a position of need on defense rated higher than dez bryant is eric berry

so i think it's a mistake to take a guy rated lower at a position of need just because the defense needs upgrade...so does wr so does rb...so does te etc

take the bpa at position of need...

now i can see the argument of passing on spiller cause there's other rbs a little later we can get who can fill that void

You know me...I'm a BPA kinda guy....especially high in the draft...

I'd certainly consider Dez Bryant if I was doing the picking....although I'd probably differ with you a bit on this canyon you seem to have between Bryant and some of the defensive talent in the draft...

I wouldn't take Spiller with a top 15 pick....I'd rather sign a guy like Leon Washington in free agency if I was going to go that route...

hooshoops
12-28-2009, 12:40 PM
well i'm all ears...whaqt defensive talent you have a higher grade than dez bryant on

suh and berry obviously...who else at positions of need???

moley6969
12-28-2009, 12:41 PM
do you think the tuna takes a wr in rnd 1 i have my doubts
i see a lb all the way in rnd1 or te [ lots of history in them 2 postions

wouldnt mind any of those on your list

as you well know lol

hooshoops
12-28-2009, 12:44 PM
hey moleys here... :hi5:

moley6969
12-28-2009, 12:48 PM
i can see 3 lb`s being drafted in 2010
2008 3 def lineman,3 off lineman
2009 3 def backs ,2 wrs [or if u class white as a wr its3 ] lol

we would certainly need 3 new ones if anybody has the same opinion as me

that all 4 starting lb`s need upgrading ,and changed

ChadHenne
12-28-2009, 12:51 PM
well i'm all ears...whaqt defensive talent you have a higher grade than dez bryant on

suh and berry obviously...who else at positions of need???

Definitely Gerald McCoy, but after that I think that's all the defensive talent I personally feel is better than Bryant.

I think everybody here would agree that if Bryant or McClain was on the board, we should and are going to grab them in a heartbeat. If we don't, hell will come.

greasyObnoxious
12-28-2009, 01:00 PM
crazy idea: how about picking Joe Haden at #11 and moving Sean Smith back over to WR? i know this isn't going to happen, just thought i'd share a piece of my distorted mind lol

hooshoops
12-28-2009, 01:26 PM
Definitely Gerald McCoy, but after that I think that's all the defensive talent I personally feel is better than Bryant.

I think everybody here would agree that if Bryant or McClain was on the board, we should and are going to grab them in a heartbeat. If we don't, hell will come.

i absolutely agree with that also but imo he's a 4-3 dt and a top 5 player

SnakeoilSeller
12-28-2009, 02:04 PM
It is early, but as of now (imho) it will not be Bryant, too many WR's are going to slip into round 2, plus I think there is a good shot we acquire someone via trade or FA. (Though I have said it wont happen before, I could see Boldin.) I would love Spiller, but if McClain is on the board I cant see Tuna taking anyone else!

RealDriscoll
12-28-2009, 02:43 PM
I agree with the notion that we will address our Linebacker issues via free agency. Tim Dobbins, Dqwell Jackson, Demeco Ryans, and Shawn Merriman are guys that come to mind immediatly. I could see us keeping either JT or Joery porter, cutting the other lose and have Merriman as our SOLB. Demeco Ryans is the guy I want to target. If we could have a FA that included Antonio Bryant, Shawn Merriman, and Demeco Ryans than we are a very good team. Than we would have the draft and Dez Bryant and Jermaine Gresham have to be possibilities especially shall we lose to the Steelers. Dan Williams as wel..

RealDriscoll
12-28-2009, 02:43 PM
I think Brandon Spikes fits our model better than Rolando McClain. Better blitzer, more physical.

RealDriscoll
12-28-2009, 02:49 PM
I would rank the talent in this draft as follows...

1. Ndamukong Suh-DT-Nebraska
2. Eric Berry-S-Nebraska
3. Gerald McCoy-DT-Oklahoma
4. Dez Bryant-WR-Oklahoma State
5. CJ Spiller-RB-Clemson
6. Russell Okung-OT-Oklahoma State
7. Brandon Spikes-ILB-Florida
8. Jermaine Gresham-TE-Oklahoma
9. Derrick Morgan-DE/OLB-Georgia Tech
10. Rolando McClain-ILB-Alabama
11. Jimmy Clausen-QB-Notre Dame
12. Dan Williams-NT-Tennessee
13. Sam Bradford-QB-Oklahoma
14. Earl Thomas-S-Texas
15. Bruce Campbell-OT-Maryland

I think Dez Bryant is a real possibility where we stand...I wish Jake Locker would declare b/c that would help his chances of falling to us

RealDriscoll
12-28-2009, 02:49 PM
CJ Spiller will have a Chris Johnson like impact for some NFL team...

ckparrothead
12-28-2009, 03:02 PM

...they could sense it in Jake Long when they said he should be a Right Tackle...they could see it in Randy Starks when they emphatically declared that he should be cut, because he's just a useless backup and we don't need a backup that gets in trouble with the law...they could smell it with Ronnie Brown, calling him just a college backup...they could see it in Brian Hartline, calling him a wasted draft pick...they could sense it with Paul Soliai, saying there is absolutely nothing impressive about him and he shouldn't even be on roster...they could see it with Sean Smith, calling for him to be moved to safety...

So much for the wisdom of the criticizers.

ckparrothead
12-28-2009, 03:07 PM
My name has the word "parrot" in it, but someone in here other than me is doing the parroting of other peoples' opinions and calling it their own.

TedSlimmJr
12-28-2009, 03:17 PM
...they could sense it in Jake Long when they said he should be a Right Tackle...they could see it in Randy Starks when they emphatically declared that he should be cut, because he's just a useless backup and we don't need a backup that gets in trouble with the law...they could smell it with Ronnie Brown, calling him just a college backup...they could see it in Brian Hartline, calling him a wasted draft pick...they could sense it with Paul Soliai, saying there is absolutely nothing impressive about him and he shouldn't even be on roster...they could see it with Sean Smith, calling for him to be moved to safety...

So much for the wisdom of the criticizers.

They could smell it when they said Patrick Turner couldn't get seperation or run routes....they could sense it when they said you'd have to be a fool to take Chad Istheantichristington over 2nd year Matt Ryan...they could sense it when they said that Gibril Wilson was a waste of money and that Miami's $50 million safeties better play like it...they could smell it when they said that the offense would convert more 3rd downs and score more points under Chad Henne (even though he couldn't "beat out" the incumbent)....the could sense it when they said Ricky is an AFM (automatic fumble machine)....they could smell it when they said Pat White was a waste of a perfectly good 2nd round draft pick..

Your turn...:lol:

TedSlimmJr
12-28-2009, 03:24 PM
My name has the word "parrot" in it, but someone in here other than me is doing the parroting of other peoples' opinions and calling it their own.

No need to be vague parrot if there's a point you would like to get across....be specific...

dolfan91
12-28-2009, 03:25 PM
Perhaps a F/A - Draft scenario, that could happen is, drafting Mike Williams the Syracuse WR in the 3rd-4th round range and signing Antonio Bryant as a F/A !!!

j-off-her-doll
12-28-2009, 03:26 PM
Some thoughts...

1. Someone asked me, given where we're set to select, who would I be "giddy" if became available to us. The answer is Dez Bryant, Eric Berry and C.J. Spiller. You don't get a shot at talents like theirs very often.

2. I find myself agreeing with hooshoops on nearly everything he says. There may be an ILB solution for us in this free agent period, so let's not go nuts over Rolondo McClain yet. And I'm not even saying that as a Brandon Spikes proponent, I'm saying that as a realist.

3. NFL Draft Scout has Brandon Spikes rated as their #7 overall talent in the entire draft. They haven't added the juniors in yet, but it's nice to see someone else agree with my point of view on Spikes' potential value at the NFL level...especially when that someone else is a site that has their ears to the tracks as superbly as they do when it comes to how the scouts are valuing certain players.

4. Dez Bryant or no Dez Bryant, there's somewhat of a chance to get something done at that position in the free agent period as well. While it seems doubtful Miles Austin or Vincent Jackson would make it out as free agents, IMO Antonio Bryant would be an excellent addition. Also, we *know* that this staff have a high opinion of Braylon Edwards. We know this because at draft time they came very close to pulling the trigger on a trade that would have sent Ronnie Brown to Cleveland for Braylon Edwards straight up. They shelved that trade, never re-visited, and Edwards had a chance to potentially kill us twice this year. If the Jets don't get him locked up...watch out. Miami has the QB that took Braylon Edwards to the BCS Championship Game as a mere freshman. There has to be some draw for him down here.

Great points. Now, would it be too ridiculous to want Edwards and Bryant? Because, I kinda do.

hooshoops
12-28-2009, 03:43 PM
braylon edwards has a serious case of the drops...i prefer antonio bryant if free agency is a route

also i believe that both jimmy clausen and sam bradford will come off to qb needy teams before we pick

ckparrothead
12-28-2009, 03:47 PM
They could smell it when they said Patrick Turner couldn't get seperation or run routes....they could sense it when they said you'd have to be a fool to take Chad Istheantichristington over 2nd year Matt Ryan...they could sense it when they said that Gibril Wilson was a waste of money and that Miami's $50 million safeties better play like it...they could smell it when they said that the offense would convert more 3rd downs and score more points under Chad Henne (even though he couldn't "beat out" the incumbent)....the could sense it when they said Ricky is an AFM (automatic fumble machine)....they could smell it when they said Pat White was a waste of a perfectly good 2nd round draft pick..

Your turn...:lol:

Some of these I'm not even sure what you're talking about. At least everything I cited was an actual much-talked-about and widely-held view from amongst the people that like to criticize every little thing Miami does.

But now you're talking about Chad Pennington versus Matt Ryan? How is that even relevant in any way whatsoever? Not very many people criticized the Gibril Wilson signing at all. And this Chad Henne converting 3rd downs thing, what is this nonsense? It's not even topical, you're just taking arguments that you've had with somebody, anyone, where you feel you ended up right, and then tossing them out there. Who talked about Ricky's fumbling? That was never any kind of hot issue whatsoever.

The only relevant ones you brought up were the criticisms of Pat Turner (which may or may not continue to be justified) and Pat White (which also may or may not continue to be justified).

At least when I brought up examples of popular criticisms that turned out to be more than a little bit dumb, I wasn't just limiting myself to a personal crusade of showing that I've been right about everything, always. In fact, I included at least one criticism (Brian Hartline) that I myself leveled at the team and was shown to be misguided.

As for more examples I could bring up of popular criticisms that have proved to be a little dumb, how about the criticisms of Channing Crowder to the point where people tried to say that Akin Ayodele and Reggie Torbor are better (especially in coverage)? Every time Channing has been out of the game from last year to this year, his absence has been very noticeable, ESPECIALLY in coverage. How about the criticism that it's stupid to place any hopes on Cameron Wake because he's just a CFL player? How about the original criticism of signing Chad Pennington? There was plenty of that, and I myself was guilty of it to some extent. How about the calls for Lousaka Polite to be cut during the preseason, because he can't lead block? I remember those.

Bottom line is though there is plenty of cheerleading going on, people that get upset whenever they see someone levy any kind of criticism at the team, players or coaches, there is also plenty of naysaying going on, people just blindly criticizing to be contrarian and not really having proper reason. I don't see manipulating the phenomenon into some us-against-everyone mentality where the criticizers hold the wisdom of the world and everyone who argues against them are just blind homers, especially since it's just a convenient guise for your personal crusade to prove you've always been right about everything you've ever argued.

ckparrothead
12-28-2009, 03:48 PM
No need to be vague parrot if there's a point you would like to get across....be specific...

That one doesn't involve you. Your opinions are your own, and pretty unique (and informed).

hooshoops
12-28-2009, 03:51 PM
That one doesn't involve you. Your opinions are your own, and pretty unique (and informed).

well i hope it doesn't involve me also...cause i'm no puppet

ckparrothead
12-28-2009, 03:57 PM
well i hope it doesn't involve me also...cause i'm no puppet

Nope. Same to you as TedSlimmJr.

BobDole
12-28-2009, 04:43 PM
Nope. Same to you as TedSlimmJr.

you've peeked my interest ...

ZachThomas76
12-28-2009, 05:10 PM
I recall all the opinions of Cam Wake in the offseason, most from ppl who had watched a video of him grabbing money off the roof of the dressing room. If thats all you need to have an informed opinion of a players abilities on the football field, thats awesome. There were ppl going to both extremes, some making fun of the CFL and calling him a bum, and some proclaiming him the next Lawrence Taylor. Then some like myself were in the middle, stating he would most likely be a 3rd down pass rusher. But hey, I only watched him in person for 2 years here.

ZachThomas76
12-28-2009, 05:12 PM
I would rank the talent in this draft as follows...

1. Ndamukong Suh-DT-Nebraska
2. Eric Berry-S-Nebraska
3. Gerald McCoy-DT-Oklahoma
4. Dez Bryant-WR-Oklahoma State
5. CJ Spiller-RB-Clemson
6. Russell Okung-OT-Oklahoma State
7. Brandon Spikes-ILB-Florida
8. Jermaine Gresham-TE-Oklahoma
9. Derrick Morgan-DE/OLB-Georgia Tech
10. Rolando McClain-ILB-Alabama
11. Jimmy Clausen-QB-Notre Dame
12. Dan Williams-NT-Tennessee
13. Sam Bradford-QB-Oklahoma
14. Earl Thomas-S-Texas
15. Bruce Campbell-OT-Maryland

I think Dez Bryant is a real possibility where we stand...I wish Jake Locker would declare b/c that would help his chances of falling to us

Im curious what role you would see Jake Locker having in Miami. I love the guy, have since he was a freshman and got little to no pub. But hes still very raw as a passer, and still more of an athlete playing qb than a qb. You could almost make a case for him to move to wr given his size/speed. I believe he runs 4.4

RealDriscoll
12-28-2009, 05:20 PM
Jake Locker is going to be a very good Quarterback for someone but not for the Dolphins. The Dolphins are set with Chad Henne as well they should be. Best young QB in the game. I see Locker flourishing in a West-Coast Offense.

ZachThomas76
12-28-2009, 05:25 PM
Jake Locker is going to be a very good Quarterback for someone but not for the Dolphins. The Dolphins are set with Chad Henne as well they should be. Best young QB in the game. I see Locker flourishing in a West-Coast Offense.

Based on? I watch alot of Huskie games, and accuracy certainly isnt his strong point at this time.

RealDriscoll
12-28-2009, 05:27 PM
The problem with todays' fan is that they cannot practice any form of patience. If someone isn't good for a season or two than they already call them a bust. People on these boards have been calling for Sparano and Henne's heads already. Everyone wants results immeditaly and should that not happen than we are quick to rush them out of here. Not every draft pick or player can be a superstar; the first rounders get the grunt of the heat. I am not saying it is unjustified I am just saying it all has to do with patience. A lot of people on these boards seem to forget just two seasons ago we were where the Rams are now. Since than we have had a division title and this season we are still in the playoff chase (even though it's as a longshot) and it's the last week of the season. Our team is being built to win in 2010/2011 and while it would be nice to make the playoffs every year it is not feasable.

RealDriscoll
12-28-2009, 05:34 PM
I find it crazy that I still believe Ted Ginn could be effective in our Offense in some capacity. Yesterday was one of Ginn's strongest performances as a receiver since being drafted here. Could Ginn emerge as a dangerous #2? If so we are are farther along than we think. Bess, Camarillo, Hartline, and Ginn accompanied by a true #1 would give us a lethal Wide Receiver core. A legitimate #1 receiver and a Tight End is all we are missing in terms of offense. The grunt of the work is on defense with nise Tackle, Inside Linebacker, and Outside Linebacker being the major areas of need. Drafting a McClain or Spikes would allow one of them to start with Channing Crowder who has played some good football in 2009. He was sorely missed against the Texans yesterday. Ayodele and Torbor need to be cut. We have something in Cameron Wake as a pass rushing specialist but need someone to be an every down Outside Linebacker. I am keen on locking up Jason Taylor for another year and I don't think cutting Joey Porter on a no-cap season makes sense. I think you keep Wake, Porter, and JT in the rotation and make signing Shawn Merriman your #1 priority in the off-season.

I played with " Lights Out" at Maryland and the guy is so athletic and quick it's not funny. Him and Kevin Eli who played opposite of Merriman used to kick my a$$ on a daily basis. I know Shawn has had his fair share of off-field drama but the guy is a superstar on defense. If we could someone land Merriman and Casey Hampton I think we are a Super Bowl team after we draft a #1 receiver. Merriman should be our #1 priority b.c from what I have heard he is as good as gone in San Diego. I also know Parcells was very keen on him coming out of Maryland in 2005 but opted for Demarcus Ware instead, It was the right move but there is no question in my mind that Shawn Merriman is a Top 5 3-4 Outside Linebacker in this league

RealDriscoll
12-28-2009, 05:35 PM
I like Lockers' ability to throw on the run. He is not the most accurate passer but his arm and legs are weapons. I think that the Rams would take him #1 if he did declare. Luckily for them he won't and they get Suh.

ZachThomas76
12-28-2009, 05:46 PM
I like Lockers' ability to throw on the run. He is not the most accurate passer but his arm and legs are weapons. I think that the Rams would take him #1 if he did declare. Luckily for them he won't and they get Suh.

So then you basically agree with me then. At this point his qb play hasnt quite caught up with his athletic ability. I love watching the guy play, but is he really any better at this point than say Tyler Thigpen?

RealDriscoll
12-28-2009, 05:49 PM
Oh Yeah. I think this years' QB crop and next years' aren't that solid. Ryan Mallett oozes inconsistent, Locker has to develop some accuracy, and after that I am just not that impressed. Jacory Harris is the guy who I see developing into a serious weapon so next season will be crucial for him

greasyObnoxious
12-28-2009, 06:16 PM
A legitimate #1 receiver and a Tight End is all we are missing in terms of offense.

i'm not sure. i'm feeling more and more uneasy about our RBs. if everyone is healthy, that's one of our strongest positions, but i don't know. something doesn't feel right. this is a young man's position, but our young guys are unproven and our proven guys aren't "young" for a RB.

RealDriscoll
12-28-2009, 06:32 PM
I am concerned with our RB's as well. Ronnie seems fragile and Ricky's run is almost over

AquaAdrenaline
12-28-2009, 06:35 PM
I want to start by saying I don't think Locker is declaring. Even if he did, I don't think he'd be the number 1 pick. The Rams have invested a lot of picks over the last two years on the defensive line so I doubt it'd be Suh. It's gotta be QB and with Sam Bradford and Jimmy Claussen available, I don't think they pass on both to take Locker.

ckparrothead
12-28-2009, 06:45 PM
I think next year's QBs could be a bumper crop. Jake Locker just needs to develop more consistency. I don't see anything inherently wrong with his ability to throw accurately. He and Ryan Mallett both still have an opportunity to head into the next year and develop more consistency in their mechanics, in their game. What you like about Locker is that with the new coaching at Washington, he's really taken to a pro style like a fish in water, and he goes out there and looks like a pro. He makes pro decisions. He throws a pro ball. He has the makings of pro accuracy. He handles pressure. The game he had against LSU might not look like much on paper, but throw for throw, that was a pro quarterback sitting under center. Experience will help him tremendously. And I think Ryan Mallett has loads of potential, he plays games that are so different from what I had seen earlier in his career. Watch his performance against Troy some time. Troy fields some athletes on their defense but he picked them apart, while still under pressure from Sheffield and Lang, who hit him pretty often. He has that fearless ability to step into a throw and make his mark to a pinpoint while about to take a vicious shot. He sees the field well.

Then you have Christian Ponder, who I honestly believe might be better than both of those guys. He is an excellent quarterback with pro written all over him.

Andy Dalton bears watching, he has really led that TCU team to something special, he's got a good arm, accuracy and he's got some size, but the leadership stands out the most. Greg McElroy really started to step up at the end of this year, and I would be on a serious lookout for him. I'm interested in seeing how he handles this championship game and when he comes back for another year, I wouldn't be surprised if he rockets up the boards. Ben Chappell of Indiana bears watching. He's got size, an arm, and he takes wicked hits in that offense but keeps bouncing back. He doesn't have the talent around him to compete with the defenses he plays against on a regular basis, but he keeps firing back at them.

And as I've been discussing with Simon, what stands out most about this draft season are the players that won't even be available to draft until next year. Some of the best players in the country aren't even draft eligible. Guys like Jonathan Baldwin, Julio Jones, Michael Floyd, A.J. Green, Mark Ingram, Dion Lewis, DaQuan Bowers, Robert Quinn, Patrick Peterson, Luke Kuechly...

Where I'm going with this is, there are some QBs that fit into this category as well. Perhaps the best QB in the country, bar none, is Andrew Luck. He's a redshirt freshman this year, and he'll be a redshirt sophomore next year. After the 2010 season, he may come to face some tough decisions. He'll have seen what staying in for another year cost Sam Bradford. By that time, I think Jim Harbaugh could also leave for greener pastures (if he doesn't this year). He'll be draft eligible because he'll be three years out of high school, and he could come out just as Sam Bradford probably should have a year ago.

Another guy to keep an eye on there would be Blaine Gabbert, who is a physical specimen, though none of the scouts will particularly like the system he runs in Missouri.

greasyObnoxious
12-28-2009, 06:54 PM
maybe that's just me, but i wouldn't want my teams' QB to be named "Luck". i'd prefer "Grit" or "Skill" lol just j/k

miami234ever
12-29-2009, 10:16 PM

Very interesting point. Braylon Edwards only has 3 drops this season compared to an astonishing 19 last season. If Edwards isn't extended before the post season, would he be considred a RFA or UFA if no new CBA gets completed?

As for the thread poll, I voted for McClain.

BARF
12-29-2009, 11:53 PM
c'mon people be real berry is a top 5 pick, he will not be there, you go after the bpa at the position we need the most ilb, or wr, nt we could get in day 2

Quadfather
12-30-2009, 12:30 AM
I want c.j. spiller bad

skipp2myloo13
12-30-2009, 01:42 AM
Why do you want less talented Reggie Bush?

RealDriscoll
12-30-2009, 09:48 AM
I think CJ Spiller is more talented than Reggie Bush and with that said I would take Reggie Bush on our team right now

ArmyFin7
12-30-2009, 12:06 PM
Given the chance to do it all over again...nobody would have spent a #1 on Reggie.

skipp2myloo13
12-30-2009, 01:05 PM
I think CJ Spiller is more talented than Reggie Bush and with that said I would take Reggie Bush on our team right now

As would i my friend, but i wouldnt trade a first for him.

Quadfather
12-30-2009, 03:09 PM
spiller is more like chris johnson than reggie. i think he will be gone though by the time we pick so im hoping on mclain or spikes. gresham wouldnt be a bad pick, a bit of a reach though.

ckparrothead
12-30-2009, 03:17 PM
C.J. Spiller is one of the best backs I've ever personally graded, granted I haven't been doing this for a few decades or anything like that, but he's a very significant talent.

Adrian Peterson is the best I've ever graded.

I wasn't a fan of Reggie Bush.

I was a big fan of Chris Johnson, though.

hooshoops
12-30-2009, 03:39 PM
what wasn't there to love about adrian peterson??? other than that upright running style and the clavicle injury i thought he was without question one of the premier running backs i've ever seen...

i mean from the time he gets the ball in the backfield til the time he gets to the los the explosive power and acceleration there is bar none the best i've ever seen...

and the punishing style...what a player

regarding reggie bush i LOVED him when he came out thought that the texans were crazy for passing on him...oh well

and i thought that chris johnson was a poor mans reggie bush...lol didn't think that johnson would hold up running inside like he has...

you hit some you miss some...

RealDriscoll
12-30-2009, 04:04 PM
Imagine how pretty we would be sitting if he fell to us and we took him over Ginn.

ckparrothead
12-30-2009, 04:43 PM
Adrian Peterson? Oh yeah I was definitely amongst the ones that thought it would have been crazy to pass on Peterson if he fell to us. That year, he and Calvin Johnson were two of the most sure fire future Pro Bowl selections I'd ever seen, and Patrick Willis was very close to them. Obviously some people didn't agree because Peterson nearly fell out of the top ten.

If Peterson fell, Randy Mueller still would have taken Ginn. Such is life.

With Chris Johnson and Reggie Bush, the differences were subtle...but significant. Johnson ran with lower hips and it helped him actually break tackles at the college level, despite his size, because he had really good balance along with that short step quickness. I didn't see the ability to create yards after contact in Reggie Bush. And despite his extravagant agility, I didn't really see uber-impressive straight line speed to go with his skinny stature and lack of power. Bush is fast, but he's not faster than everyone on the field. There was absolutely no doubt that Chris Johnson had the super duper straight line speed to be faster than everyone on the field, once he blew the doors off the 40 at that Combine...and to me I hypothesize that C.J. Spiller has similar straight line speed as well, in addition to the ability to create yards after contact because of his build and hips, and the ability to not lose any speed while cutting (which was something that Bush had). His vision is very strong, as well.

RealDriscoll
12-30-2009, 05:33 PM
I loved Patrick Willis in that draft. I can't believe we passes on him. In hindsight things are always better but Just imagine if we did this...

R1: Santonio Holmes

R1: Patrick Willis
R2A: Lamarr Woodley

Those 3 players and we are contenders for the AFC title

hooshoops
12-30-2009, 06:00 PM
Adrian Peterson? Oh yeah I was definitely amongst the ones that thought it would have been crazy to pass on Peterson if he fell to us. That year, he and Calvin Johnson were two of the most sure fire future Pro Bowl selections I'd ever seen, and Patrick Willis was very close to them. Obviously some people didn't agree because Peterson nearly fell out of the top ten.

If Peterson fell, Randy Mueller still would have taken Ginn. Such is life.

With Chris Johnson and Reggie Bush, the differences were subtle...but significant. Johnson ran with lower hips and it helped him actually break tackles at the college level, despite his size, because he had really good balance along with that short step quickness. I didn't see the ability to create yards after contact in Reggie Bush. And despite his extravagant agility, I didn't really see uber-impressive straight line speed to go with his skinny stature and lack of power. Bush is fast, but he's not faster than everyone on the field. There was absolutely no doubt that Chris Johnson had the super duper straight line speed to be faster than everyone on the field, once he blew the doors off the 40 at that Combine...and to me I hypothesize that C.J. Spiller has similar straight line speed as well, in addition to the ability to create yards after contact because of his build and hips, and the ability to not lose any speed while cutting (which was something that Bush had). His vision is very strong, as well.

those are excellent points...especially the balance and short step quickness of chris johnson...

i've noticed those almost choppy steps from him even while maintaining full speed...his feet are always under him

and i'm with you on cj spiller...

Valkyron
12-30-2009, 11:26 PM
I personally feel that CJ Spiller is over-hyped by the majority and I personally would rather we pass on him if he's there and go after someone like Toby Gerhart in round 2 or 3. It seems that many people dismiss Gerhart because of his speed. I have been quite impressed with his ability to push the stack, fall forward, and make something out of nothing. He's not as much of a homerun threat as Spiller, but he seems to me to be more consistent and reliable.

As for what I think we should take with our first round pick, I think we should take Taylor Mays if he is there. When I have watched him play he was all over the field making plays. I can't really argue for or against Eric Berry because I haven't seen a single Tennesse game this year. As for other positions, I would ideally like Suh over everyone else in this draft, but I don't think it is realistic to think that he'll drop to where we pick. As for Dez Bryant, I have seen some highlights of him and they look pretty good, but it worries me that he has been out for much of the season. He could certainly work out well, but I'm not currently comfortable with taking him with our first pick. I can't say that I've payed any attention to Brandon Spikes or Rolando McClain, so I really have no basis on which to judge them. I almost forgot Gerald McCoy, I was impressed when I saw him play, but he's not who I'd go after with our pick.

I hope that the Front Office gives serious consideration to Dennis Pitta in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, I think he will be a very good receiving TE for whatever team picks him up.

hooshoops
12-31-2009, 12:18 AM
i pretty much disagree with all of that...not a fan of gerhardt, not a fan of pitta, and definitely not a fan of taylor mayes...

MP-Omnis
12-31-2009, 12:22 AM
regarding reggie bush i LOVED him when he came out thought that the texans were crazy for passing on him...oh well

I'd say the Texans did pretty damn well without him. Mario Williams, DeMeco Ryans, and Owen Daniels in the same draft. Seriously? :hump:

hooshoops
12-31-2009, 12:35 AM
i pretty much was saying there that the texans got it right and i missed with bush

not that bush isn't a solid player and contributor and to this day mismatch for defenses but he's not played up to the #2 overall pick in the draft status either

Pinkboy
12-31-2009, 01:20 AM
Nah, to each their own. But when I see obvious shortcomings with my favourite team, Im not going to pretend they arent there. Id rather acknowledge them and hope they are dealt with, than just think cheering really hard will make everything ok. The thing about the cheerleader types is they spew all kinds of unrealistic crap, but then never own up to it. Thats why I no longer take that type of fan seriously.

yes. exactly

TedSlimmJr
12-31-2009, 03:48 AM
I think next year's QBs could be a bumper crop. Jake Locker just needs to develop more consistency. I don't see anything inherently wrong with his ability to throw accurately. He and Ryan Mallett both still have an opportunity to head into the next year and develop more consistency in their mechanics, in their game. What you like about Locker is that with the new coaching at Washington, he's really taken to a pro style like a fish in water, and he goes out there and looks like a pro. He makes pro decisions. He throws a pro ball. He has the makings of pro accuracy. He handles pressure. The game he had against LSU might not look like much on paper, but throw for throw, that was a pro quarterback sitting under center. Experience will help him tremendously. And I think Ryan Mallett has loads of potential, he plays games that are so different from what I had seen earlier in his career. Watch his performance against Troy some time. Troy fields some athletes on their defense but he picked them apart, while still under pressure from Sheffield and Lang, who hit him pretty often. He has that fearless ability to step into a throw and make his mark to a pinpoint while about to take a vicious shot. He sees the field well.

Then you have Christian Ponder, who I honestly believe might be better than both of those guys. He is an excellent quarterback with pro written all over him.

Andy Dalton bears watching, he has really led that TCU team to something special, he's got a good arm, accuracy and he's got some size, but the leadership stands out the most. Greg McElroy really started to step up at the end of this year, and I would be on a serious lookout for him. I'm interested in seeing how he handles this championship game and when he comes back for another year, I wouldn't be surprised if he rockets up the boards. Ben Chappell of Indiana bears watching. He's got size, an arm, and he takes wicked hits in that offense but keeps bouncing back. He doesn't have the talent around him to compete with the defenses he plays against on a regular basis, but he keeps firing back at them.

And as I've been discussing with Simon, what stands out most about this draft season are the players that won't even be available to draft until next year. Some of the best players in the country aren't even draft eligible. Guys like Jonathan Baldwin, Julio Jones, Michael Floyd, A.J. Green, Mark Ingram, Dion Lewis, DaQuan Bowers, Robert Quinn, Patrick Peterson, Luke Kuechly...

Where I'm going with this is, there are some QBs that fit into this category as well. Perhaps the best QB in the country, bar none, is Andrew Luck. He's a redshirt freshman this year, and he'll be a redshirt sophomore next year. After the 2010 season, he may come to face some tough decisions. He'll have seen what staying in for another year cost Sam Bradford. By that time, I think Jim Harbaugh could also leave for greener pastures (if he doesn't this year). He'll be draft eligible because he'll be three years out of high school, and he could come out just as Sam Bradford probably should have a year ago.

Another guy to keep an eye on there would be Blaine Gabbert, who is a physical specimen, though none of the scouts will particularly like the system he runs in Missouri.

I agree with a lot of this on the quarterbacks (Locker, Mallet, Ponder, etc.)....and most of all Greg McElroy......I was very skeptical on Ponder but let me tell ya...that kid has some serious NFL potential IMO as a WCO quarterback...

When you're talking about the ineligible talent in this years draft...I think you have to mention DeAndre Brown as well with some of these other guys.....6-6, 230 and runs in the 4.4-4.5 range.....he led all freshman WR's in the country in rec's, yards, TD's, etc...then broke his leg in the bowl game....and still put up good numbers as a sophmore this year despite missing 3 games....and without Austin Davis at quarterback....

Robert Quinn is sick talented...but he had his struggles against Anthony Costanzo and Jason Fox this year.....I'm pretty high on the kid from Penn St. too (Jack Crawford)....compares very favorably to Quinn in the size/speed ratio etc...except might be an even better athlete..(if you can believe that)....

Rahim Moore....Dont'a Hightower...Marcel Dareus...Brandon Harris......etc..

We're going to have a lot of fun evaluating all these guys next year...

RealDriscoll
12-31-2009, 11:14 AM
The 2011 Draft might be the best we will ever see

ckparrothead
12-31-2009, 12:32 PM
I see about 63 or 64 talents that could all be in the 2011 draft instead of this one, and all of them are guys that I really like. That's highly unusual for being a year out.

houtz
01-01-2010, 09:46 AM
The anticipation leading up to the draft is so frustrating. I just hope that Dez Bryant isn't sitting there with our #1 pick and we pass by him. I understand there are good WRs in next year's draft but why not take the BPA this year and IMO that would have to be Bryant.

Next year we could get another good WR in the draft and immediately we'd be the Eagles of the AFC East.

JCPHIN_PHAN
01-01-2010, 02:05 PM
I see about 63 or 64 talents that could all be in the 2011 draft instead of this one, and all of them are guys that I really like. That's highly unusual for being a year out.

And of course the patriots will probably have the Raiders top 5 pick in that draft...go figure.