PDA

View Full Version : Merged: Avatars

dolphans1
12-25-2009, 09:22 PM
Listen Guys and Gals,

I am really struggling with changing my Avitar and I am really good with computers, but can someone explain why its so hard to do on here, and what is the trick...?

Must I delete the current one while trying to upload or save the new one or something else?

Thanks.....

d-1

JCane
12-25-2009, 09:31 PM
Shouldn't be difficult. Just click on the "User CP" up near the top and then click "Edit Avatar" on the left panel. Then select "Use New Avatar" and past the URL for the avater or upload a new one. Although, I don't think I've ever uploaded one. I usually just call it from a URL.

dolphans1
12-25-2009, 09:33 PM
Yeah I am trying to upload a new one, and I get an invalid error file message, and its under the kib requirements.

d-1

JCane
12-25-2009, 09:35 PM
Hmmmm....anyway you can get a screenshot of that error and post it?

dolphans1
12-25-2009, 09:39 PM
Okay the resolution is 152X152, size 47.2 kibs, I will try and take a screen shoot and post, but I have to ask, how do I post a screen shot on here, can I upload it, or must I tie it to a link?

d-1

JCane
12-25-2009, 09:41 PM
You can either upload it to a Photobucket account or some other image hosting site and link the image or you can save the image to your hard drive and use the attachment option when you post a message.

dolphans1
12-25-2009, 09:50 PM
Here it is I hope....

dolphans1
12-25-2009, 09:51 PM
Wow I uploaded as attachment and I guess it didn't take.

JCane
12-25-2009, 09:51 PM
Here it is I hope....

Nope lol.

dolphans1
12-25-2009, 09:57 PM
I can't even add an attachment, here is the error message I get.

This should be extremely easy to do and I am puzzled as to why I am struggling.

I am using Linux and Firefox browser , but can't imagine that would be the issue.

Again I repeat, this should be so very easy to do and I am sorry to flood the site with these posts.

Invalid File.jpeg:
This is not a valid image file.
Sum of all attachments owned by dolphans1: 0

JCane
12-25-2009, 10:08 PM
Try changing the file name to .jpg instead of .jpeg?

dolphans1
12-25-2009, 10:10 PM
Believe it or not, I tried to do that, I am booting into windows to see if that is the issue...

d-1

dolphans1
12-25-2009, 10:17 PM
Just tried on Windows 7 and it failed to, I get Invalid file, very weird, I have uploaded thousands of pic on line and have never experienced an issue like this. Very strange.

Do you have to be a paying member to upload an Avatar....?

That is the only other thing I can think of.

Again, this should be so extremely easy to do.

d-1

JCane
12-25-2009, 10:21 PM
Uploading avatars is free to all. Try uploading other images with different file extensions.

dolphans1
12-25-2009, 10:21 PM
Even on windows 7 I get this message, Invalid File.

I will try IE and see if that works.

d-1

dolphans1
12-25-2009, 10:22 PM
I tried that too and I get the same message, it say's Invalid file.

d-1

Uploading avatars is free to all. Try uploading other images with different file extensions.

JCane
12-25-2009, 10:24 PM
I'll report this issue and see if any of our Admins have an idea.

dolphans1
12-25-2009, 10:25 PM
Tried Internet Explorer and same "Invalid-File" error, unbelievable...

I do not understand.

d-1

dolphans1
12-25-2009, 10:26 PM
Yes, this should be a 1 or 2 second job, but I am not sure what your site allows....

d-1

I'll report this issue and see if any of our Admins have an idea.

DisturbedShifty
12-28-2009, 07:50 AM
I too am having the same problems. I tried changing my avatar to something different during the Texans game on Sunday. And I kept getting the same message. So I figured I would wait until the traffic died down and try again later in the evening.

I tried two more times before after the game and once more just before this post and still got nothing.

This is the message you get.

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

And I tried it both ways each time I tried. First from the computer and then from photobucket. Funny thing is. Durning the Texans game and the first time I tired after the game, when using Photo Bucket the error message was that the remote file was to large. Even after resizing the avatar I still go the same message.

But now both ways to upload custom avatars are getting the same message.

Wildbill3
12-28-2009, 11:09 AM
can you upload it into tinypic or something and post it here? thanks!

Vaark
12-28-2009, 12:11 PM
For the last few days, no matter how small I remade them or whether I directly uploaded from my CPU or tried linking to a picture host, the result that comes back is "invalid file" Anyone else having this problem? (I know I alternate avis and sigs more than most, and in this case wanted to switch Xmas to New Years) but never have encountered this problem previously).

Hopefully this is a temporary system malfunction. Either way, I'd appreciate some feedback if possible. Thanks

PhinzN703
12-28-2009, 12:14 PM
I'm having trouble with this right now too Vaark. Any updates?

PhinzN703
12-28-2009, 12:36 PM
can you upload it into tinypic or something and post it here? thanks!

This doesn't work either. I know what I'm doing with the graphics, I've never seen this error before.

Vaark
12-28-2009, 01:24 PM
I'm having trouble with this right now too Vaark. Any updates?

Just posted that this morning altho been having trouble since xmas day. At least since misery loves company, it's good to know it's probably a system issue and not a personal one. Hopefully Nub will see this and get to the bottom of it sooner than later.

JCane
12-28-2009, 02:29 PM
Hmmmm...looks like this is a global problem. I thought it was just an isolated case. Thanks for letting us know, guys.

PhinzN703
12-28-2009, 02:55 PM
Hmmmm...looks like this is a global problem. I thought it was just an isolated case. Thanks for letting us know, guys.

Hope ya guys get it fixed soon :d-day:

Nublar7
12-28-2009, 08:42 PM
hmm, we will look into it.

canesandbhoys
12-28-2009, 10:24 PM
1. Are .PNG and .JPG no longer acceptable formats for avatars? When I try to change mine, I get an "Invalid File" message. I've tried uploading from my computer, and providing a Photobucket image URL. Neither are working for me.

2. Can something be done about the excessive signatures present around the boards? I don't see any reason a sig should take up an entire screen. Not trying to be "that guy," but it's distracting... bordering on annoying.

Vaark
12-29-2009, 08:28 AM
Looks like you guys got the Avi issue resolved. Good job and thanx! :up:

PhinzN703
12-29-2009, 09:27 AM
They sho did :hump:

Nublar7
12-29-2009, 02:11 PM
1. Are .PNG and .JPG no longer acceptable formats for avatars? When I try to change mine, I get an "Invalid File" message. I've tried uploading from my computer, and providing a Photobucket image URL. Neither are working for me.Should be fixed now.

2. Can something be done about the excessive signatures present around the boards? I don't see any reason a sig should take up an entire screen. Not trying to be "that guy," but it's distracting... bordering on annoying.I agree, we do have rules with sig sizes. If there is a sig you think is to big or violates the TOS, report a post containing the sig and we will look into it.

PhinzN703
12-29-2009, 02:50 PM
1. Are .PNG and .JPG no longer acceptable formats for avatars? When I try to change mine, I get an "Invalid File" message. I've tried uploading from my computer, and providing a Photobucket image URL. Neither are working for me.

2. Can something be done about the excessive signatures present around the boards? I don't see any reason a sig should take up an entire screen. Not trying to be "that guy," but it's distracting... bordering on annoying.

The sig I made you wasn't that small to begin with, why did you change it?

Wildbill3
12-29-2009, 03:21 PM

2. Can something be done about the excessive signatures present around the boards? I don't see any reason a sig should take up an entire screen. Not trying to be "that guy," but it's distracting... bordering on annoying.Nublar already responded to point A, but for your second point there is a hack out there for vb that limits the number of times a sig is displayed on a page to the first post... that is something we'll look into adding next year.

canesandbhoys
12-29-2009, 06:20 PM
The sig I made you wasn't that small to begin with, why did you change it?

I made that one myself, using the small logos on ESPN pages like this: http://espn.go.com/nfl/teams

Notice mine doesn't have shading or drop shadows...

PhinzN703
12-29-2009, 07:13 PM
I made that one myself, using the small logos on ESPN pages like this: http://espn.go.com/nfl/teams

Notice mine doesn't have shading or drop shadows...

I figured as much. As soon as I posted that I thought to myself, "Wait did I actually do those?" :lol:

A few other people shrunk the ones I made for them. Sorry to include you in that group.

d-day
12-29-2009, 07:19 PM
Bug fixed. Should no longer be a problem.