PDA

View Full Version : we arent drafting a wr

aj13
12-29-2009, 09:02 PM
NT, ILB, OLB, TE to be the focus of the first round...

No way we draft a WR...Parcells wont have it...I follow the Gil Brandt school which has shown that few guys step in and are ready to be consistent contributors in their first year...That will be addressed in FA...

Safety if the guy is absolutely the BPA but we have a lot invested in our secondary...

I think there are a couple NT that would be there who the Dolphins woudl love to draft but its early and we havent had medicals and pro days...

ArmyFin7
12-29-2009, 09:45 PM
Parcells wont draft a WR early....so when has he ever drafted a NT early either???

Quadfather
12-30-2009, 12:28 AM
I like jermaine gresham with our first pick. c.j. spiller would be a dream.

BARF
12-30-2009, 12:32 AM
rarely bp drafts a wr or nt early especially wr it is so deep this year, i see us going after an ilb first of if one of the top 3 wr's is there we will draft, bp is famous for smoke and mirrors

#1dolphinsfan
12-30-2009, 01:17 AM
wasnt this said last year about all Skilled Postion players and look how last years draft went plus IMO parcells is going to be gone after this year at least i hope he is he needs to relize this is a Pass first Run second league now

skipp2myloo13
12-30-2009, 01:32 AM
my board looks like this
1. Bryant
2. McClain
3. Kindle
4. Williams
5. Spikes
6.Grisham
7. Thomas
8. Tate
9. Benn
10. Huges

Bta72dolphins
12-30-2009, 10:20 AM
Find a wr in FA or a trade honestly i think we need a GOOD young NT or SS.

RealDriscoll
12-30-2009, 11:13 AM
Well Jeff Ireland handles the draft in Miami

Dolphin Dave
12-30-2009, 11:22 AM
Can't rule out anything. Ireland & Parcells will probably be arm wrestling best 2 out of 3 on this one.

aj13
01-01-2010, 12:45 PM
Its all speculation at this point...the team could fall in love with a player at a need position that they know they can pick up on day 2...

I think the WR has to be truly special for BP and JI...and trust me, when it comes to drafting, BP sticks to his formula...I mean his WR has to have run NFL style routes in college...he must have been a 3 year success...he must have the burners, the hands and willingness to go over the middle...

It is extremely rare to find a WR that has played in a system with NFL routes and isnt just a 1 or 2 year flash in the pan...Lets take Devin Thomas of the Redskins...at MSU he ran the NFL style routes but had one year of success...Only til late this year did he actually start contributing...WR's take time to develop...

In this years draft, Hakeem Nicks was the only guy who fit BPs philosophy and he didnt exactly blow it up...

X-Pacolypse
01-01-2010, 01:03 PM
We'll be drafting a WR, it may not just be in the first round. Honestly, if a guy like Rolando McClain, or Dan Williams is there for Miami when we pick, you have to go in that direction.

j-off-her-doll
01-01-2010, 03:47 PM
Berry
Bryant
McClain

The dark horse: Spiller

If they see Spiller as a player in the mold - or ballpark - of a C. Johnson, then, you have to think long and hard about drafting him (assuming Berry and Bryant are gone). If they see him as a L. Washington, he's not worth a 1st.

baseballcb95
01-01-2010, 03:56 PM
What makes u so definite we wont? if bryant is there, someone trades up and takes spiller, suh and berry go in top 6 and Denver goes Rolando Mcclain right before us, that leaves bryant BPA at a position of need for us.

aj13
01-01-2010, 04:39 PM
what makes me so definite is BP...look at the QB position...hes stated...hell only draft, quarterbacks with at least 3 years of starting, who ran pro offenses in college...

i know full well that we ONLY draft a WR in the first round if the guy is off the charts AND has run pro routes in college for more than one year...thats BP's philosophy...thats Irelands philosophy...

Where do you think Miles Austin came from??? The first round??? No...

bert
01-01-2010, 05:01 PM
What makes u so definite we wont? if bryant is there, someone trades up and takes spiller, suh and berry go in top 6 and Denver goes Rolando Mcclain right before us, that leaves bryant BPA at a position of need for us.
if spiller is there we could trade down to.for a 2nd this year,and 1st next year.not sure if the draft points equal out on this.spiller could put someone like green bay over the top.

3rdandinches
01-01-2010, 05:30 PM
I think most people on this planet have no idea what BP wants in his picks. Please let me know who thought two years ago BP would take a P.White, or everyone stating BP does not draft OL real high before he selected J.Long. Yes there`s a philosiphy behind the type of player he likes to draft but there`s alot of other reasons that come into play when or when not to select a position.

The bottom line is FA will ultimately decide our drafts future, signing no WR`s would lead us to believe he`s more willing to draft one.

Throwing my two cents in the guessing game I believe he`ll go BPA in....

ILB, OLB and FS but will look to trade back first and collect more picks. BP likes his NT`s late, RB, WR, TE`s in the middle rounds and lineman anywhere he can get them. So I really don`t think Cody or Williams has a chance in hell to be our pick unless they fall in the 2nd. Looking at our extremely young WR core makes me believe no WR will be drafted. I see two ILB`s, two OLB`s, a late NT, a FS, and another Olineman.

That`s my 2 cents!

rev kev
01-01-2010, 07:30 PM
I think most people on this planet have no idea what BP wants in his picks. Please let me know who thought two years ago BP would take a P.White, or everyone stating BP does not draft OL real high before he selected J.Long. Yes there`s a philosiphy behind the type of player he likes to draft but there`s alot of other reasons that come into play when or when not to select a position.

The bottom line is FA will ultimately decide our drafts future, signing no WR`s would lead us to believe he`s more willing to draft one.

Throwing my two cents in the guessing game I believe he`ll go BPA in....

ILB, OLB and FS but will look to trade back first and collect more picks. BP likes his NT`s late, RB, WR, TE`s in the middle rounds and lineman anywhere he can get them. So I really don`t think Cody or Williams has a chance in hell to be our pick unless they fall in the 2nd. Looking at our extremely young WR core makes me believe no WR will be drafted. I see two ILB`s, two OLB`s, a late NT, a FS, and another Olineman.

That`s my 2 cents!

I see a NT picked much earlier and ILBs OLBs galore in this draft....

newlownorder
01-01-2010, 10:52 PM
lets put it this way, more than likely we are not taking a WR in round 1. Round 2 and up are are possible, but not round 1. We will know more about the direction we are taking in the draft by what we do in FA.

j-off-her-doll
01-01-2010, 11:42 PM
Also - considering his off-the-field issues - Dunlap could fall to us. He has the potential to be a D. Ware kind of OLB. So, if Bryant's gone, there's another potential option.

baseballcb95
01-01-2010, 11:44 PM
Also - considering his off-the-field issues - Dunlap could fall to us. He has the potential to be a D. Ware kind of OLB. So, if Bryant's gone, there's another potential option.

Im a huge florida fan and would literally throw up all over myself if we took a 4-3 DE guy with off the field issues, no desire, a guy who is MIA most of the time with the 11th pick to try and convert him to an OLB that has to be the stupidest most rediculous idea ive heard yet. i would be semi pissed if we took him in the 2nd round.

LikeUntoGod
01-02-2010, 12:17 AM
We do not need a 1st round WR.

We passed on some good WRs in last year's draft. I know that speed is not everything and Turner and Nicks ran the same in the 40 but they will never be confused.

However. speed kills and we had guys like Bess and Camarillo already. He also needed a pass catching TE.

After Davis and Smith we could of had a number of good WRs.

We could of drafted Mike Wallace, the 2nd fastest WR in the draft (4.33 40, 6 foot) Or Johnny Knox the 3rd fastest (4.34, 6 foot) and my favorite, Louis Murphy (4.41 and 6'1").

It just so happens that they are having good rookie years even though some are on teams with poor QBs and in Murphy's case almost no QB at all.

I was sure we would draft a very fast WR and a good TE last year. We could of had Wallace and Murphy as WRs plus one of the two fastest TEs in Jared Cook (4.50 40) or Shawn Nelson (4.56 40).

If you are going to take a "chance" on someone make sure they can stretch the field.

We needed speed, speed and speed at TE and WR. Instead we got a gimmick player who is "fast for a QB", one good all around WR and a tall slow WR who is not very good at running routes.

(I admit that I use a size and speed limit for players along with being able to play, same as Parcells does)

This year I hope we take at least one WR that is very fast, at least 6 foot with good hands in the 2nd to 5th round.

We can always plan on having drafting the #1 WR in the draft or start looking for some of the fast, tall ones in the later rounds.

Combine speeds:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers

NFL Rookie WR stats:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categ...e&Submit=Go

Draft tracker:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/...y-round-input:1

baseballcb95
01-02-2010, 12:28 AM
If all you look at is speed, your going to get trackstars, Ted Ginn's. you draft football players. My qualities that i look for in a great wr prospect is Toughness, Hands, seperation, size, and route running. if you can do all that honestly it doesnt matter if u run a 4.6 Dez Bryant is our guy. he is great value at pick #11 and exhibits all of these traits basically and has im guessing about 4.45 speed or better

j-off-her-doll
01-02-2010, 09:00 PM
Im a huge florida fan and would literally throw up all over myself if we took a 4-3 DE guy with off the field issues, no desire, a guy who is MIA most of the time with the 11th pick to try and convert him to an OLB that has to be the stupidest most rediculous idea ive heard yet. i would be semi pissed if we took him in the 2nd round.

He has the build of a big 3-4 OLB. Most NFL 3-4 OLB's were 4-3 DE's in college. Dude has problems, but he's a great talent. Nice try, though.

LikeUntoGod
01-02-2010, 09:44 PM

I live in Gainesville and Dunlap does not have off the field issues, he had one mistake coming home from a teammate's birthday party.

LikeUntoGod
01-02-2010, 09:46 PM
If all you look at is speed, your going to get trackstars, Ted Ginn's. you draft football players. My qualities that i look for in a great wr prospect is Toughness, Hands, seperation, size, and route running. if you can do all that honestly it doesnt matter if u run a 4.6 Dez Bryant is our guy. he is great value at pick #11 and exhibits all of these traits basically and has im guessing about 4.45 speed or better

Unless you are only doing one round mock drafts, it is a good idea to have a plan B. C, D, and E.

Not to mention that Bryant has real off the field issues.

WelcomeBack
01-02-2010, 10:09 PM
Off the field issues? He lied about talking to someone. Is that really an issue?

I admit he shouldn't have lied but none of what happened makes him a bad character guy.

baseballcb95
01-02-2010, 11:10 PM
I was reading where Dez is a hard worker and humble, now once he makes his millions who knows but ive seen many places that he isnt a diva, he had a hardchildhood or something and is humbled for everything becuz of that... who knows.

outlawd2u
01-03-2010, 10:56 AM
I don't care what Parcells "draft philosophy's" are, or who they get in FA before the draft. If Dez Bryant is there when we pick in the first round you take him.

dolphinator86
01-03-2010, 01:07 PM
I dont think we will because in free agency we will make some sort of trade or signing. Maybe Marshal leaves or Malcolm Floyd leaves SD a few will be available and WE WILL GET ONE.

And look for a NT signing in the FA period too so we could get safety and LB help and get some young OLB's late look for this to be a heavy D draft and a heavy playmaker FA period

baseballcb95
01-03-2010, 01:13 PM
Even if we sign Antonio Bryant, i want Dez Bryant in the 1st.

a FA signing period of A. Bryant an C. Hampton would be really nice then we can go crazy with LB's

hooshoops
01-03-2010, 01:20 PM
i think malcolm floyd is a solid player and he can get open...i don't think i'd pay him #1 wr money however...

regarding antonio bryant he'd have to come at a decent rate for me...no way i drop $20 plus mil guaranteed for a guy who pretty much only had 1 high level season...last year

Kdawg954
01-03-2010, 06:06 PM
Anybody who has watched this team knows that WR is not the biggest needs on this team. In fact, we have 4 pretty decent ones . . . we just need that one veteran who can make plays. We would be crazy to draft another WR when we have 5 on this team with 3 years of experience or less. U bring in a veteran, have him work with Ginn, Hartline, Turner and the guys.

Its a luxury to go after WR . . . but we need better LB's, that is by far the biggest need . . . especially watching Cushing and Ryans last week. That Houston game was the perfect reasoning for a LB.

NT is important, FS is important, WR is important . . . nothing is more important than LB.

hooshoops
01-03-2010, 06:44 PM
it's not crazy to draft a wr when that wr is the bpa at position of need...and anyone who thinks that legit #1 wr is not a need should have their fan card revoked...

j/k

dez bryant is that guy we need

Kdawg954
01-03-2010, 07:08 PM
it's not crazy to draft a wr when that wr is the bpa at position of need...and anyone who thinks that legit #1 wr is not a need should have their fan card revoked...

j/k

dez bryant is that guy we need

U don't draft a WR in the first round if any LB you covet is available. It is almost like why we drafted Jake Long . . . he was the best player at the position we need the most.

We are DEEP at WR . . . people don't want to realize that, we are only missing 1 guy, and that guy should NOT be a rookie, not when u have 5 guys with 3 years or less experience in the league.

We need atleast 4 to 5 new LB's, and if you have an opportunity to get a guy like McClain in the first round, u do it and don't think twice about it.

Using your logic will have TE's eating us up for lunch next year also. Yea maybe it isn't sexy . . . but it is in the best interest of the team.

If we didn't learn that 2 years when we went after WR instead of LB (Willis) . . . we will never learn.

Obviously if guys you covet aren't there when u pick, and Dez is the BPA at a position of need for the team, then u do it. But understand . . . . McClain > Bryant.

hooshoops
01-03-2010, 07:11 PM
U don't draft a WR in the first round if any LB you covet is available. It is almost like why we drafted Jake Long . . . he was the best player at the position we need the most.

We are DEEP at WR . . . people don't want to realize that, we are only missing 1 guy, and that guy should NOT be a rookie, not when u have 5 guys with 3 years or less experience in the league.

We need atleast 4 to 5 new LB's, and if you have an opportunity to get a guy like McClain in the first round, u do it and don't think twice about it.

Using your logic will have TE's eating us up for lunch next year also. Yea maybe it isn't sexy . . . but it is in the best interest of the team.

If we didn't learn that 2 years when we went after WR instead of LB (Willis) . . . we will never learn.

Obviously if guys you covet aren't there when u pick, and Dez is the BPA at a position of need for the team, then u do it. But understand . . . . McClain > Bryant.

who said with my logic we couldn't get lbs later...we need to go bpa at position of need...period

doing anything else is reaching

if you don't think dez bryant is the bpa when we pick i understand that but otherwise no way we should pass

TedSlimmJr
01-03-2010, 07:30 PM
who said with my logic we couldn't get lbs later...we need to go bpa at position of need...period

doing anything else is reaching

if you don't think dez bryant is the bpa when we pick i understand that but otherwise no way we should pass

I think Bryant should be in consideration....but to lock on to him now as the BPA is a bit premature...

He hasn't even played a game since September....Yes..if you go off of his sophomore tape...then he's the top WR available....but not neccessarily the top talent...he has flaws too..

If you went off Calais Campbell's sophomore tape....he would've been a top 15 pick....however, if you went off of his junior tape...that's how he fell to the 2nd round...

Bryant has 3 games worth of junior game film...

There are tribes in deserts of the middle east with no electricity that know that Miami's entire LB unit must be addressed early and often..

hooshoops
01-03-2010, 08:19 PM
I think Bryant should be in consideration....but to lock on to him now as the BPA is a bit premature...

He hasn't even played a game since September....Yes..if you go off of his sophomore tape...then he's the top WR available....but not neccessarily the top talent...he has flaws too..

If you went off Calais Campbell's sophomore tape....he would've been a top 15 pick....however, if you went off of his junior tape...that's how he fell to the 2nd round...

Bryant has 3 games worth of junior game film...

There are tribes in deserts of the middle east with no electricity that know that Miami's entire LB unit must be addressed early and often..

lol...we agree to disagree and seeing that we're the top 2 on a draft team things could get ugly...lol

but i agree that lb must be addressed early and often

finomenal
01-03-2010, 10:54 PM

As tempting as Dez Bryant would be, I would also prefer McClain if he truly is the best player available. I don't watch college football much so I wouldn't know, but the MLB position in a 3-4 defense is critical.