PDA

View Full Version : Joe Haden CB-Florida

dolfan91
01-02-2010, 07:57 PM
After watching the Sugar bowl last night ... and seeing the way this kid plays the game ... I'd be all for BP and Co. drafting this kid with the Dolphins 1st round pick @ 11-14 ... simply put he might be the BPA or best player in the draft ... Hayden would give the Dolphins, what they had, when they had Terrell Buckley, playing the nickel ... hell he'd probably start of Smith!!! but my point is, this would solve alot of the problems the secondary had this season with TE and Slot WR's !!! Adding Hayden would allow Miami to cover a TE with Sean Smith and Hayden to take the slot receiver ... Just a thought guys!!!

greasyObnoxious
01-02-2010, 08:03 PM
After watching the Sugar bowl last night ... and seeing the way this kid plays the game ... I'd be all for BP and Co. drafting this kid with the Dolphins 1st round pick @ 11-14 ... simply put he might be the BPA or best player in the draft ... Hayden would give the Dolphins, what they had, when they had Terrell Buckley, playing the nickel ... hell he'd probably start of Smith!!! but my point is, this would solve alot of the problems the secondary had this season with TE and Slot WR's !!! Adding Hayden would allow Miami to cover a TE with Sean Smith and Hayden to take the slot receiver ... Just a thought guys!!!

if he's the best player on the board, i could see it. however, with Haden being the clear #1 CB prospect, there should be quite a market for a trade-down if he was available at our selection.

cyesae
01-02-2010, 08:04 PM
He is probably the best corner back to come out in the last few years. He would be our version of Darelle Revis. He's fast, great in coverage, and can play the run. But seeing as our team has much more needs than another first round corner back, I think we will pass. I have definitely seen crazier things happen though.

baseballcb95
01-02-2010, 08:07 PM
Too bad we took sean smith and Pat white, we really dont have the luxary of spending a 1st on a CB...

Ways to improve secondary:
Add Earl Thomas
Get rid of Wilson
Start Clemons

baseballcb95
01-02-2010, 08:09 PM
and yes, joe haden is a beast. im a huge florida fan and the kid is going to be a stud. Basically imo take Vontae's tackling/Ball Skills+ Sean Smiths coverage skills= Joe Haden

Ozfin77
01-02-2010, 08:19 PM
Let me throw this one out there:

Draft Haden at 11-15 and move Sean Smith to FS.

Thoughts?

greasyObnoxious
01-02-2010, 08:21 PM

Thoughts?

no. smith has never played safety. if anything, move him to WR where he played earlier in his collegiate career.

hooshoops
01-02-2010, 08:22 PM

Thoughts?

you got to be a solid tackler at safety...sean smith is a woeful tackler... will never work

he's either a cb or nothing imo

hooshoops
01-02-2010, 08:24 PM
haden is a stud...i don't know if he's as physical as vontae but he's one heck of a cover corner and very willing as a tackler...

top 10 player in the draft imo...earmarked for san fran with one of their 1st round picks

newlownorder
01-02-2010, 08:27 PM
I was thinking the same thing about moving Smith to FS, I don't know based on what we saw this year that he would fit as a FS.

baseballcb95
01-02-2010, 08:28 PM
sucks, maybe if we went with 2 lbs in the 2nd and 1 in the 3rd, we would have the luxary to get a guy like this but i dont think we will go for him... IMO its (if we are at pick 11)

Eric Berry (no chance without tradeup)
Rolando Mcclain (doubt he gets past Denver)
Dez Bryant (most likely there for our taking)
CJ spiller (good posibility, someone might trade up though)
Earl Thomas (he will be there and imediately help our secondary)

Or trade down

hooshoops
01-02-2010, 08:29 PM
you cannot have that poor of a tackler as your last line of defense...you just can't

and in run support he wouldn't come up and square anybody up...it's all diving and arm tackles with sean smith

Ozfin77
01-02-2010, 08:30 PM
I thought I saw Sean play S at Utah.

Anyways, just thought I'd put the idea out there.

The FS I really want is a kid name DeAndre McDaniel from Clemson....He may not caome out this year, but man I hope he does!

MiamiDolfan85
01-02-2010, 08:30 PM
Haden is a top 10 prospect....hes not making it to our pick....and even if he did,we just drafted 2 corners a year ago,or did we forget?

hooshoops
01-02-2010, 08:31 PM
earl thomas at #12 right now for me is too high but that could definitely change...but i think he's a heck of a player and if we did trade down into the 18-21 range i think his value is there...

i like chad jones also somewhere in the 2nd

hooshoops
01-02-2010, 08:32 PM
I thought I saw Sean play S at Utah.

Anyways, just thought I'd put the idea out there.

The FS I really want is a kid name DeAndre McDaniel from Clemson....He may not caome out this year, but man I hope he does!

now i've been hearing that name a lot lately in draft circles

MiamiDolfan85
01-02-2010, 08:34 PM
I was thinking the same thing about moving Smith to FS, I don't know based on what we saw this year that he would fit as a FS.
havent we learned our lesson about switching position of young players within their first few seasons?

JA?

Gibril(even though hes a vet......which makes it even worse...)

Ozfin77
01-02-2010, 08:39 PM
now i've been hearing that name a lot lately in draft circles

Yeah, if we're taking a S in the draft its him or Chad Jones outta LSU for me.

DeAndre was EVERYWHERE against KU the other night. Graeat against the run and always there for the pass.

The commentry were saying that he does hours extra in film study etc. each week and annoys the coaches and guys who put the films together becuase the ones they put togther are never enough for him...he always wants more!

It'll sure be interesting to see what he does. I think he'll stay in school to boost his draft position for next year.

baseballcb95
01-02-2010, 08:40 PM
Deandre mcdaniel is crazy good, id easily give a 2nd rounder up for this guy.

emeraldfin
01-02-2010, 10:57 PM
Huge fan of Haden, but after spending two early picks last season on CB's and with the holes we have elsewhere on the team, he should not be a consideration, even if BPA.

#1dolphinsfan
01-02-2010, 11:19 PM

Thoughts?
No Sean smith is a crappy tackler the would be a horrible Saftey

Breed
01-02-2010, 11:56 PM
Haden is a top 10 prospect....hes not making it to our pick....and even if he did,we just drafted 2 corners a year ago,or did we forget?

If all the other top end players are gone, I don't see why we wouldn't pick him. Haden would clearly be the best player available. I really like Davis, and I think Smith has good upside as well. However, if Smith doesn't dramatically improve his tackling, he's not going to remain a starter for long.

nate52
01-03-2010, 12:14 AM
I would be up for drafting him despite there being more pressing needs in other areas. It gives us 3 good young corners which is never a bad thing.

As for Smith to FS, I would be def. up for that but as everyone says tackling is the problem. Im not sure if that was a knock on Smith coming out or if he is just playing scared since it was his first year. What i do know is that he would be an absolute ballhawk out there at FS and would really inprove our pass defence. ( Imagine trying to throw over a 6' 4" FS deep, would have to be a perfect pass to complete it) I guess if the FO desides to make that move you have to believe that they know whats best for this team.

dolfan91
01-03-2010, 12:14 PM
Thanks to all of you that have responded to the post and debate... IF Haden get drafted by Miami, perhaps they move Nate Jones to FS and let Sean Smith become the CB who gets assigned the TE or outside WR in long distance situations ... Who's to say Nate Jones or Will Allen couldn't be moved to FS... IMO if this team had a better coverage in the secondary they win 2-3 more games.... considering all the stellar QB's Miami has faced this year ...

baseballcb95
01-03-2010, 12:43 PM
Or the other option is to have smith improve his tackling and get stronger, and draft a guy like earl thomas or chad jones to play thier natural safety position?

hooshoops
01-03-2010, 01:14 PM
i'm not as high on sean smith as some others...i see a guy who in a few years may be a man without a position...

he's kind of a tweener to me between a corner and a safety with the tackling skills of a kicker

i like the idea better of drafting a real free safety

regarding earl thomas i've been watching some stuff on sergio kindle lately and earl thomas REALLY stands out...looks very good

hooshoops
01-03-2010, 01:18 PM
i don't think we would do it given all our other needs but vontae davis and joe haden at cb would be a sick combo

greasyObnoxious
01-03-2010, 01:26 PM
i'm not as high on sean smith as some others...i see a guy who in a few years may be a man without a position...

he's kind of a tweener to me between a corner and a safety with the tackling skills of a kicker

i like the idea better of drafting a real free safety

regarding earl thomas i've been watching some stuff on sergio kindle lately and earl thomas REALLY stands out...looks very good

Sean Smith is as much a safety as Ray Lewis is a princess. Smith was a RB/WR recruit coming out of high school. if he were to be moved anywhere, i think you should look no further than WR.

hooshoops
01-03-2010, 01:30 PM
Sean Smith is as much a safety as Ray Lewis is a princess. Smith was a RB/WR recruit coming out of high school. if he were to be moved anywhere, i think you should look no further than WR.

i think you misread me...i thought last year in my draft evaluations that smith might make a better free safety but i had no idea he was this poor of a tackler both with the effort and technique...

i agree now no way he's a safety due to tackling but i think he could cover te's down the field...just wouldn't be very physical with them

i guess wr could be something we tried but he'd have to grow onions to go across the middle and take hits...contact doesn't look like something he's interested in to me

for me he's aboundary corner or nothing unless you try wr...no way can he play the slot cb...doesn't have the change of direction or feet for the position

greasyObnoxious
01-03-2010, 01:38 PM
i think you misread me...i thought last year in my draft evaluations that smith might make a better free safety but i had no idea he was this poor of a tackler both with the effort and technique...

i agree now no way he's a safety due to tackling but i think he could cover te's down the field...just wouldn't be very physical with them

i guess wr could be something we tried but he'd have to grow onions to go across the middle and take hits...contact doesn't look like something he's interested in to me

for me he's aboundary corner or nothing unless you try wr...no way can he play the slot cb...doesn't have the change of direction or feet for the position

he's a boundary corner now. that's all our coaches wanted him to learn in camp, opposed to Vontae Davis who had to learn how to play boundary and slot.

hooshoops
01-03-2010, 01:40 PM
he's a boundary corner now. that's all our coaches wanted him to learn in camp, opposed to Vontae Davis who had to learn how to play boundary and slot.

i know he is and i don't think he can play the slot/nickle...i just don't see the feet and the change of direction to be effective in that role

i think he'd be toast inside against smaller quicker wrs

greasyObnoxious
01-03-2010, 01:46 PM
i know he is and i don't think he can play the slot/nickle...i just don't see the feet and the change of direction to be effective in that role

i think he'd be toast inside against smaller quicker wrs

i quite agree

dr.jake
01-03-2010, 02:51 PM
if he's the BPA when we pick and you're happy with your corner play you pass. if not you grab him. seems simple to me. i'm hoping for mcclain but would shed no tears if we landed haden.

baseballcb95
01-03-2010, 03:21 PM
My complete big board looks like this:

Berry
Mcclain
Dez
CJ Spiller
Earl Thomas
Joe Haden

IMO

dolfan91
01-03-2010, 05:41 PM
After today's Pittsburgh game, as admirably as Jason Allen played; you CAN'T say Joe Haden wouldn't had been a better option ... i realize that there are more pressing needs on defense... but my argument is with all the elite QB's that the team faced this year a triple combo of Davis, Smith and Haden could have been the difference in an 7-9 to a 10-6 record!!! Haden is almost as good as Davis in run support, and just might be better in pass pro... a starting Combo of Haden and Davis with Smith as the nickel, IMO would be just devastating for opposing offenses to face... the extra time these 3 would give the pass rush could mean many more sacks!!! I agree with all of you that LB is #1 priority on defense ... but man would Haden look good ...

MarSly
01-03-2010, 07:41 PM
Joe Haden would be great as a nickel...Sean Smith and Vonte are definite starters..But I see Haden not lasting to the second round..Its possible but we need a LB first..

Breed
01-03-2010, 07:49 PM
Joe Haden would be great as a nickel...Sean Smith and Vonte are definite starters..But I see Haden not lasting to the second round..Its possible but we need a LB first..

Haden is a better prospect than what Smith and Davis were. If the Dolphins were to draft him, Haden and Davis would likely be the starters.

FinsFanatic777
01-03-2010, 08:11 PM
After today's Pittsburgh game, as admirably as Jason Allen played; you CAN'T say Joe Haden wouldn't had been a better option ... i realize that there are more pressing needs on defense... but my argument is with all the elite QB's that the team faced this year a triple combo of Davis, Smith and Haden could have been the difference in an 7-9 to a 10-6 record!!! Haden is almost as good as Davis in run support, and just might be better in pass pro... a starting Combo of Haden and Davis with Smith as the nickel, IMO would be just devastating for opposing offenses to face... the extra time these 3 would give the pass rush could mean many more sacks!!! I agree with all of you that LB is #1 priority on defense ... but man would Haden look good ...

As much as I love Joe Haden, if we're going to go pass defense, I would much rather have Earl Thomas. It's a tough decision, but I go with Thomas because he's a ballhawk (and because he's a poor man's Eric Berry, whom we have 0% chance of getting). Davis, Smith, and Haden would be a deadly combination, but I highly doubt we would pick CB for two years straight (and in the 2nd round of one year)... Earl Thomas vs Joe Haden is like Ed Reed vs Darrelle Revis. You can go either way. I'd prefer Earl Thomas because we already have our CB's of the future; we just need a ballhawking safety.