PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Spikes vs Rolando McClain breakdown w/ Video

Conuficus
01-03-2010, 12:17 AM
This is an examination of the two players by Boomer. This breakdown includes video clips for each player to help illustrate exactly what he sees in a player or players.

I thought Iíd take a look at the two most highly rated ILB prospects, Brandon Spikes of Florida and Rolando McClain of Alabama, in their biggest game of 2009/10 to date, the SEC Championship. Both playing on the same field in the same game. Both stepping up and showing the nation why theyíre ranked so highly. This isnít anything scientific, itís not a basis in fact, but itís a big game for two first round possibilities who will be high on Miamiís radar and itís interesting to see their down by down assignments, whoís called to do what more often and how they go about their business.We aim for this to be a regular application for the video, and we would like to include as many as we can when we do indvidual player breakdowns as well.

Anyways, enjoy.

http://www.universaldraft.com/?p=747

PhinSoldia
01-03-2010, 12:22 AM
wow....my head is spinning...

WelcomeBack
01-03-2010, 12:24 AM
This is an examination of the two players by Boomer. This breakdown includes video clips for each player to help illustrate exactly what he sees in a player or players.

We aim for this to be a regular application for the video, and we would like to include as many as we can when we do indvidual player breakdowns as well.

Anyways, enjoy.

http://www.universaldraft.com/?p=747 (http://www.universaldraft.com/?p=747)

And Boomer comes through again!

Very nice breakdown and just amazing work.

I'd like to ask Boomer if it's okay for me to link to this on another site I visit as well.

hooshoops
01-03-2010, 12:27 AM
you guys put together some good stuff...

look forward to seeing more head to head type stuff from you

and for the record i prefer mcclain also

:up:

MP-Omnis
01-03-2010, 12:27 AM
Jesus, that's comprehensive. Good job.

Conuficus
01-03-2010, 12:28 AM
And Boomer comes through again!

Very nice breakdown and just amazing work.

I'd like to ask Boomer if it's okay for me to link to this on another site I visit as well.

You can ask either myself, CK or Boomer (as we are partners) and I have no issue with it.

Conuficus
01-03-2010, 12:29 AM
Also, please note that the player rankings need to be updated aside from the WR's. This will occur over the next few days, and a Mock Draft will be made available.

WelcomeBack
01-03-2010, 12:29 AM
You can ask either myself, CK or Boomer (as we are partners) and I have no issue with it.

Thanks, I'll probably ask Boomer as well, just to be sure. I want to be sure to give credit where credit is due.

Conuficus
01-03-2010, 12:32 AM
Thanks, I'll probably ask Boomer as well, just to be sure. I want to be sure to give credit where credit is due.

Trust me, you're fine - truly. :up:

His name is right at the top, and giving credit to the site would be appreciated. :lol:

Just teasing you, he'll be fine with it, and we each put our names on our stuff....if it is collective that will be made known as well. The site is what we aim for. :wink:

WelcomeBack
01-03-2010, 12:34 AM
Trust me, you're fine - truly. :up:

His name is right at the top, and giving credit to the site would be appreciated. :lol:

Just teasing you, he'll be fine with it, and we each put our names on our stuff....if it is collective that will be made known as well. The site is what we aim for. :wink:

Ok sounds good. Thanks.

Keep up the great work with the site, btw. It's bookmarked on my iPhone as well.

Conuficus
01-03-2010, 12:38 AM
Ok sounds good. Thanks.

Keep up the great work with the site, btw. It's bookmarked on my iPhone as well.

Thanks.

miami234ever
01-03-2010, 02:43 AM
Nice analysis. McClain looks really slow. It looks like he's lightly jogging half the time!

outlawd2u
01-03-2010, 11:15 AM
McClain please... he just seems to make more plays at, near, or behind the line of scrimmage. You can even tell this from the open tackle videos here.... McClain is making stops for little or no gain and Spikes is making tackles 5 yards down the field(Remind you of anyone?)

showstopper
01-03-2010, 09:04 PM
Spikes reminds me of a slightly better Crowder, no thanks, not at #12.

RHoffman
01-03-2010, 11:11 PM
You can do all the breakdown u want. As a linebacker coach, I would want rolando mcclain over spikes
Don't get paralysis by analysis. Diehard mclain has a chance to be special.

jim1
01-03-2010, 11:19 PM
Both look good, but with us now drafting around # 10 and DT Price declaring I'd rather have:

1. Dez Bryant
2. Dan Williams
3. Sean Lee
4. best OLB or S available
5. maybe the TE from Miami

TedSlimmJr
01-03-2010, 11:57 PM
Spikes is a pile jumper...

McClain is a game changer..

Other than that..

Trent Richardson is a beast...

Night folks!

DolphinDynasty
01-04-2010, 12:08 AM
McClain by far is the best LB prospect in this years draft. To have him in the Middle would simply make our D awesome. McClain is a superb tackler, has tackles for no gain or loses, and takes excellent angles. To those who say he is not fast may be true, but angles can neutralize speed.
Spikes really scares me, If we select him at 12 will demonstrate that Ireland and Parcells don't get it, but I think they do so we have to trust them.
Still not sure who I would rather have McClain or Dez Bryant

tical
01-04-2010, 07:46 AM
B.Spikes-- Looks so much like C.Crowder he really does having watched him live he makes alot of tackles down field and tends to over run plays. I really don't like him especially at #12.

R.Mclain - Haven't seen him play much but judging from the video he seems more of an instinctive LB more so than spikes..one thing that stands out is he looks slow, really slow! And if its on thing we don't need it is another slow LB!

PS not that B. Spikes is that much faster than him.

I vote for neither player at #12, but if we had to have on give me R.Mclain

Namor
01-04-2010, 11:37 AM
Rolondo runs a 4.6 40.. we'll see what comes out at the combines...if he declares,
I don't think he has declared yet....rumour has it that it depends on if Bama wins
the title.If Bama loses,he might stay for his senior season.

nosleep
01-04-2010, 12:07 PM
Ugh, does anyone else think we'd be wasting our first rounder with either of these guys?

Both of them look like what we have now, too many arm tackles and getting juked by college running backs. It doesn't get easier in the NFL.

Namor
01-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Rolondo runs a 4.6 40.. we'll see what comes out at the combines...if he declares,
I don't think he has declared yet....rumour has it that it depends on if Bama wins
the title.If Bama loses,he might stay for his senior season.

My bad....hate to quote myself..but just heard Rolondo has sent
his paperwork in to the NFL.

Namor
01-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Ugh, does anyone else think we'd be wasting our first rounder with either of these guys?

Both of them look like what we have now, too many arm tackles and getting juked by college running backs. It doesn't get easier in the NFL.

Both McClain and Spikes would start for us right off the bat.

nosleep
01-04-2010, 12:44 PM
Both McClain and Spikes would start for us right off the bat.

Sure, they could start, but could they be a significant upgrade? I don't think they would be.

ckparrothead
01-04-2010, 02:38 PM
You can do all the breakdown u want. As a linebacker coach, I would want rolando mcclain over spikes

You don't find this a bit lazy? Why even chime in at all?

I mean, you're a linebackers coach and you have all of this information and training at your disposal to use in order to demonstrate and show people why one player is better than the other, how good they are, etc...and all you can offer is an implication that you're always right about your evaluation of every linebacker that has ever played ("trust me, I'm a linebackers coach"), along with a perfunctory admonishment that if anyone disagrees with you they're definitely wrong, and they came to it either because they just flat don't know what they're talking about, or because they're overanalyzing.

I was hoping for more.

Namor
01-04-2010, 03:03 PM
You don't find this a bit lazy? Why even chime in at all?

I mean, you're a linebackers coach and you have all of this information and training at your disposal to use in order to demonstrate and show people why one player is better than the other, how good they are, etc...and all you can offer is an implication that you're always right about your evaluation of every linebacker that has ever played ("trust me, I'm a linebackers coach"), along with a perfunctory admonishment that if anyone disagrees with you they're definitely wrong, and they came to it either because they just flat don't know what they're talking about, or because they're overanalyzing.

I was hoping for more.

Hey CK
Hate to change topic..I have a hard time catching you.
Whats your opinon on Eric Norwood..LB SC?

ckparrothead
01-04-2010, 03:23 PM
Hey CK
Hate to change topic..I have a hard time catching you.
Whats your opinon on Eric Norwood..LB SC?

I think he's a good pass rusher and makes plays, he'll play in some system probably the way an Elvis Dumervil or James Harrison plays, but he doesn't stop the run very well at all and I don't believe Miami would take a short (6'0") one-dimensional OLB prospect. It just doesn't seem in their nature. They're always talking about wanting to be big. Norwood's not big.

Namor
01-04-2010, 03:26 PM
I think he's a good pass rusher and makes plays, he'll play in some system probably the way an Elvis Dumervil or James Harrison plays, but he doesn't stop the run very well at all and I don't believe Miami would take a short (6'0") one-dimensional OLB prospect. It just doesn't seem in their nature. They're always talking about wanting to be big. Norwood's not big.

Thanks man..

mmikel30
01-04-2010, 04:59 PM
Nice analysis. McClain looks really slow. It looks like he's lightly jogging half the time!I was thinking the same thing and lazy too !

ckparrothead
01-04-2010, 05:00 PM
I think it's interesting that there are a fair number of people coming away from this thread not liking either.

Interesting just because I'm not sure Miami will draft either one.

RealDriscoll
01-04-2010, 05:05 PM
Nothing is certain but McClain and spikes both have to be on their board. They could see Jared Odrick as a Haloti Ngata type of player

Pat-London
01-04-2010, 05:16 PM
Ive seen a bunch of Bama games now and I see McClain as a lazy player with loads of talent but just doesnt want to hussle that much. Thanks but no thanks.

Spikes, someone mentioned earlier.. more athletic Crowder, again I would pass on this one.

Trade down.

ckparrothead
01-04-2010, 05:24 PM
It's not so much a Ngata possibility though they could fall in love with Dan Williams of course.

Whenever they get this high Bill Parcells' tendency is always to draft a guy that can affect every play, and not just as a decoy, I think. I believe that's his way of thinking. A RB only affects plays for the most part on hand-offs and receptions. A WR only affects plays when he's thrown to, generally speaking. A CB usually only affects plays when he's thrown on, especially if he's not a physical CB, which is why Parcells usually insists on size and physicality amongst CBs.

I believe he's passed these tenets down to Jeff Ireland who values players the same way. If we're picking #12 overall, I would look for them to prefer a guy along the lines. It could even be an OT. You don't know that it won't.

If Derrick Morgan is there, I would expect us to take him.

hooshoops
01-04-2010, 05:49 PM
i don't for the life of me understand the ot stuff...unless carey was to be traded and even then we have nate garner who may be ok at right tackle...so what gives with the right tackle at #12 talk???

i do understand the derrick morgan talk...

ckparrothead
01-04-2010, 06:29 PM
What I have been saying is that what wouldn't surprise me would be Miami grabbing a bookend to go opposite Jake Long for the next decade, and then moving Vernon Carey to LG. Carey has always been talked about as a potential Guard since the draft. Miami briefly experimented with him there and he was a failure but that was his rookie year and he never even made it to a game as a Guard so it can't be called a complete failure.

As things stand I think he's a little overrated at RT. The LG position, and the interior in general, was in so much flux during the year due to injuries that it made everyone's head spin. Justin Smiley came to Miami with a rep for being injury prone. He got hurt both years. Surprise! Jake Grove came to Miami with a rep for being injury prone. He got hurt for four games. Surprise! Donald Thomas injured his foot and missed his rookie year in his first real action as a pro. He's fought some injuries. Surprise!

This was something I brought up a long time ago when they traded Samson Satele away, which I thought was a bad trade. At the very least, what Samson provides you is a DURABLE inside player that could play any of the three spots and provide you some stability without getting hurt much.

They felt differently and we paid a price for it. The cohesiveness at that position really waned down the stretch.

What Vernon Carey offers on the interior is stability. He doesn't miss games. It's hard to hurt him (knock on wood). He is best pals with Jake Long already, so why not put them together on the left side?

That's what I've been saying.

And, I don't know if you noticed during the Steelers game but the Dolphins slid Vernon Carey to LG multiple times. I think that's a sign I might have been right.

hooshoops
01-04-2010, 07:02 PM
oh ok...that makes sense...

and slimm and i have had the discussion before multiple times about shifting carey inside...

i've also read reports today that carey will undergo knee surgery for an ailment that bothered him all season so maybe there's something there with the dropoff in his play of late

rev kev
01-04-2010, 09:05 PM
It's not so much a Ngata possibility though they could fall in love with Dan Williams of course.

Whenever they get this high Bill Parcells' tendency is always to draft a guy that can affect every play, and not just as a decoy, I think. I believe that's his way of thinking. A RB only affects plays for the most part on hand-offs and receptions. A WR only affects plays when he's thrown to, generally speaking. A CB usually only affects plays when he's thrown on, especially if he's not a physical CB, which is why Parcells usually insists on size and physicality amongst CBs.

I believe he's passed these tenets down to Jeff Ireland who values players the same way. If we're picking #12 overall, I would look for them to prefer a guy along the lines. It could even be an OT. You don't know that it won't.

If Derrick Morgan is there, I would expect us to take him.

CK I love the bolster the lines idea with the no.1 pick... I can see it too..., otherwise a linebacker at no.12

Valkyron
01-04-2010, 09:09 PM
After looking at that analysis, I am inclined to agree with many of the posters that we shouldn't go after either with the #12 pick.

3rdandinches
01-04-2010, 09:14 PM
CK I love the bolster the lines idea with the no.1 pick... I can see it too..., otherwise a linebacker at no.12

But don`t you guys think a solid RT could be had in the 2nd ala P.Loadholt?

Take the best OLB in the first with possibly trading back to grab an extra 2nd.

WOPMasterG
01-04-2010, 09:25 PM

Agreed

RHoffman
01-04-2010, 10:02 PM
CK, I will give u a more in depth argument for mcclain closer to the draft but I didn't say trust me. I think some people have the tendencv to overanalyze instead of just trusting their own two eyes. McClain is a special player. He is around the ball and shjows great instincts and a football demeanor.
The people I talk to also think he won't make it to 12. I really liked pat willis and lamarr woodle coming out so my track record is pretty good.

RHoffman
01-04-2010, 10:15 PM
Just remember CK that breaking down film is subjective. People see different things. For an interesting challenge maybe we can compare the success of the players we like best. I'll take McClain if you prefer Spikes.

RHoffman
01-04-2010, 10:34 PM
What I will say at this point is that miami probably has to be flexible at 12. Perhaps a bookend tackle makes more sense than a second tier wr or lb like spikes. :-)

MP-Omnis
01-05-2010, 01:36 AM
Sure, they could start, but could they be a significant upgrade? I don't think they would be.

Considering how many tackles our Safeties have, yes. Yeremiah Bell has almost double of what Crowder and Ayodele have combined.

Once the other team gets past our line, the safeties have to prevent the touchdown. :lol:

ckparrothead
01-05-2010, 12:39 PM
I haven't actually decided, contrary to what people may think, whether I like McClain or Spikes better on an absolute basis. I see strengths and weaknesses in both players. I think Spikes plays better in Miami's scheme. More physical. More versatile.

What I tend to disagree with is the notion that which guy is better is "obvious" or that Spikes is "a slightly better Channing Crowder" etc. There are a lot of people dismissing Brandon Spikes for spurious reasons.

And I don't believe it's possible to overanalyze, personally. It's only possible to underanalyze. People that supposdely overanalyze something are really, IMO, guilty of underanalyzing. Losing the forest for the trees is a product of not enough analysis, IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5voTSl9uEI#at=328

Boomer's comment on this play focused on Spikes taking an improper angle to start the play off. Is this overanalysis, or underanalysis? Personally, and I respect the heck out of him, he's my friend and colleague and there's a reason for that, but I think this COULD be a bit of underanalysis.

What I'm looking at is a play where Bama has managed to scheme a numbers advantage. The Wildcat is infamous for giving defenses an extra gap to defend. Bama has done that here, with a QB still under Center. They have hat-on-hat blocking on this sweep play, and if every Bama hat wins against every Gator hat, then Ingram doesn't even have to beat a single defender until Major Wright (coming from lined up deep in the opposite field) can cross all the way over and take a shot at him.

So did he take an improper angle? I say no. He has to threaten both the cutback and the sideline. If he flattened at the start of the play to beat Vlachos and Ingram to the sideline, then he'd probably find that Ingram cut back on him and went to the house. Shortens the play. Not good. He had to scoop to the line of scrimmage and then flow with the ball to the sideline, while still worrying about that 300 pounder that was locked on and wanting to knock his block off.

You have 6 blocks taking place relevant to the play side and Bama is winning every single one of them, nobody defeated the block, nobody is getting off it. By keeping the ball flowing to the outside Spikes has bought 4 seconds for someone to get off a block. Brandon Hicks has lost outside contain completely. Jaye Howard got zero push on James Carpenter, so Ingram had a clear track to the outside. What Spikes accomplishes on this play is to delay the cut which gives more people time to get off blocks, then seal the outside so that Ingram has to run back inside to where there is help. The play does not go to the house, because Major Wright has been given enough time to flow to the play. It does gain something like 15 yards, though.

The only mistake he made on that play was turning his head away from the ball when he engaged Vlachos, which is something that Spikes is prone to doing sometimes.

Take a look at this play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5voTSl9uEI#at=253

Same play, run to a different side, later in the game. Same numbers advantage for Bama. The differences are subtle. Instead of a guard releasing into the second level to seal Ryan Stamper from the play side, you get a guy releasing and trying to cut block him. It doesn't work. Instead of Jaye Howard being dominated by James Carpenter, you have Justin Trattou dominating Drew Davis, forcing a wider track for Ingram. Spikes plays it the same way, he thinks about freelancing into the backfield but the angles aren't right because of Trattou's battle with Davis. Spikes is decisive, flows with the football to the outside again, and then seals the outside to force Ingram inside where both Stamper and Trattou can help. Play only gains 2 yards. This is a win for the defense, considering the numbers advantage. Spikes played it the same way, the primary difference was the Florida defenders were getting off man-on-man blocks, which you expect your defenders to do given a full four seconds to do it.

He again loses sight of the ball when engaging Vlachos. He needs to work on that. But I've seen Rolondo McClain do the same thing plenty of times.

ckparrothead
01-05-2010, 01:24 PM
Overall what I see in Spikes vs McClain that others don't seem to account for...

Discipline. Despite his high energy and enthusiasm, Spikes plays within the scheme. He's not the guy that freelances. He's the guy that covers for the players next to him that freelance. I'm not saying that McClain does, I'm just dispelling a myth about Brandon Spikes.

Playmaker. Despite his discipline, Spikes has the ability and sense to engage and make a play. Look at the statistics. How does this guy get painted as a monotone player? He's got four touchdowns in the last two years! Look at all of the stat categories. Excluding the bowl game, he has had 6.5 tackles per game, 0.8 TFLs, 0.3 Sacks, 0.3 Interceptions and a TD every 6 games. Rolondo McClain has 7.3 tackles per game the last two years, 1.1 TFLs, 0.3 Sacks, 0.1 Interceptions and no TDs.

Scheme. Rolondo McClain plays in a classic Saban defense. The same defense that Zach Thomas once said he felt FAR more protected in as opposed to the 4-3's under Wannstedt and Jimmy. He's got big Terrence Cody in front of him, and just as Nick Saban once said that his defense in Miami was designed so that Zach Thomas could make plays, the Bama defense is designed to funnel the ball to McClain. The discipline is remarkable. Outside players set the edge. Cody absorbs blockers. The players maintain gap discipline. McClain is given more free shots at the ball. Florida's defense is full of a lot of undisciplined players. Ahmad Black is a very undisciplined player. Brandon Hicks does not set the edge. Joe Haden is smallish and not physical like Bama's corners are (Javier Arenas may be small but he packs a punch). For Brandon Spikes in this run defense, playing well means nailing blockers, plugging gaps, and then getting off them to get to the football. He is not given clear lanes to the ball nearly as often.

Energy. There is absolutely no question here that Brandon Spikes has the higher motor. People in this thread watch the videos and they're turned off by Rolondo McClain's jogging routines. You don't often see Spikes doing that. He's balls out most of the time.

Physicality. Like Jeff Ireland himself said to hooshoops, Brandon Spikes is the more physical player. He delivers the first blow, most of the time. Rolondo McClain has a habit of letting blockers deliver the blow on him and then just using his hellish strength to get off the block and get to the ball. I don't know how well that will play in the NFL where the blockers are stronger and faster. There are linemen out there that, if they get a clear shot on you, you're done. Game over. Brandon Spikes seems more comfortable with physical contact on the interior. They both get weeded in blocks sometimes, taking their eyes off the ball and losing it. But there's no hesitation in Spikes when forced to deal with contact. He knows what he's going to do about it. His natural instincts for dealing with contact kick in earlier than Rolondo McClain's. McClain keeps his eyes on the ball, gets his hands up in only a perfunctory manner, and once the OL gets into him and makes contact, that's where his natural instinct for getting off the block kicks in. If he's forced to regard a blocker earlier than that, he can hesitate and freeze. Spikes' instinct for dealing with the block kicks in a little earlier to where he's prepared better, gets on the balls of his feet, hands up just a little more often than McClain, and delivers the blow way more often than McClain, then getting off the block to pursue the ball.

Eyes. Spikes' eyes aren't given enough credit. He reads the quarterback's intentions extremely well. So well that in their scheme, they don't have Spikes doing much work in man coverage because they trust him to stay home and read the quarterback's eyes, knowing that he'll make a play (hence four touchdowns in 24 games). McClain is handed more work on passing downs, as Boomer pointed out. I also believe that Spikes reads misdirection just a little bit quicker than McClain.

Pass Rush. I think Brandon Spikes is generally given credit for his pass rush but I do often see people thinking that he's only just a little bit ahead of McClain in this area. That's not what I see. I see a player that plays chess where McClain plays checkers...when it comes purely to the game of pass rush. Not talking about the whole shebang, just the pass rush department, Spikes is in the majors and McClain is playing for the Clearwater Threshers. Brandon absolutely dominated Andre Smith in the SEC Championship Game a year ago. He regularly rushes from an outside linebacker position and succeeds. He could absolutely rotate into that spot in Miami's 3-4 defense. He doesn't get weeded up in minor blocks on the interior, keeps his feet moving and keeps going. McClain made plays on the QB two ways, either he got a free path to the passer via blitz, or he engaged in a strength-on-strength battle and used his hellish strength to beat the guy in front of him and get in. Like I said, he's very strong, but to be an effective blitzer you need more weaopns in your arsenal than that.

Now, this isn't to say that McClain doesn't better Spikes in a lot of areas. He does. As I've said, he's stronger than Spikes. He may not change directions as fast as Spikes but I believe he's got better straight line/closing speed. He does have tremendous instincts and play recognition ability, better than Spikes in that regard. They're both tremendous leaders.

ckparrothead
01-05-2010, 01:31 PM
All that said, I'm still not sure I take either one at #12. There's something to be said for grabbing a PREMIUM tackle prospect, and moving Carey in to guard. Despite best efforts, they haven't achieved stability on the interior. Justin Smiley came in with a rep for being injury prone, and he's gotten hurt a lot. Might be time to part ways. Jake Grove came in with a rep for being injury prone. He's been injury prone. If you move Carey to LG then you have some stability on the left wing because Carey hardly ever misses a game.

There's something to be said for taking a player with the homerun ability of C.J. Spiller, because he brings that homerun ability to both the running and passing games while having the build and strength to break tackles and carry a full load when necessary. Just watch Felix Jones in Dallas some time, or Chris Johnson in Tennessee. Spiller could make life easier for Chad Henne in a lot of ways, especially if Ricky is still around and still committed.

There's something to be said for taking the only premium WR in this draft that doesn't come packaged with so many mental issues as to make you hold your nose. Dez Bryant does have some warts. But Mike Williams is the only other receiver in this draft that can compete with him on the football field, and Williams' issues make Bryant's warts look like cute freckles.

There's something to be said for taking a guy that has displayed the FULL package as much as Derrick Morgan has. He could solidify a SOLB position that has been truly hard to fill in an adequate way. That position is fast becoming an issue where you need a guy that can do everything imaginable, rush the passer, set the edge, knock a TE on his arse, and run in man coverage. Once upon a time the premium players were usually found on the right side. Now I think if you find Superman, you play him on the left.

And of course there's something to be said for grabbing a premium nose prospect. I'm not sure if Dan Williams is that guy but it's possible.

jim1
01-05-2010, 01:33 PM
What I will say at this point is that miami probably has to be flexible at 12. Perhaps a bookend tackle makes more sense than a second tier wr or lb like spikes. :-)

imo we have Long/Carey and far too many roster holes to consider OT.

MP-Omnis
01-05-2010, 01:49 PM
I'm not sure I understand this newfangled idea about putting Carey at LG. He's an all-pro RT and too slow to be a pulling guard. Why mess with that?

CK, what are your thoughts on the talent dropoff at our various positions of concern? For example, people keep talking about this Micah Johnson guy. What is the likelihood that there will still be people of value in a certain position should we not address that position in the first round?

ckparrothead
01-05-2010, 02:11 PM
I'm not sure I understand this newfangled idea about putting Carey at LG. He's an all-pro RT and too slow to be a pulling guard. Why mess with that?

CK, what are your thoughts on the talent dropoff at our various positions of concern? For example, people keep talking about this Micah Johnson guy. What is the likelihood that there will still be people of value in a certain position should we not address that position in the first round?

I'm not a big fan of the strict ILB prospects in this draft after McClain and Spikes. I think Boomer said it best about Micah Johnson. He's awesome if you never ask him to move anywhere. I just don't see speed or direction change ability from him.

I think that Daryl Washington is a little scrawny for us, doesn't really shed blocks well enough. Most of the other guys classed as ILBs are too small.

However, when you start talking about converting some OLBs, then the position springs to life a little more. All of us at Universal Draft are huge fans of A.J. Edds. He's a natural in coverage, the professor of the defense, very big and physical. I don't think he's a hammer, but he's a very good player in the mold of a Chad Greenway/Brian Cushing but with a little less sudden impact to him than those guys.

Boomer is a big fan of Sean Weatherspoon. I like him as a draft prospect but I don't think Miami plays a defense he will be comfortable in. He seems to really be at his best reading the play from space and then just firing out to the ball like a cannon shot. He's big enough and he's a very fast player, will definitely rise through this process and probably end up in the first round IMO. But, I think he gets a little hesitant and loses vision when he's among the big bodies in the gear works.

A guy that I've had my eye on is Dexter Davis, I'm just not sure whether to keep him at OLB or move him inside to ILB. He's got strong arms and uses his hands, he's a very good run defender at DE right now despite being undersized. He's not a great pass rusher though. He has natural instincts for clearing traffic. If you could convert him to ILB that would be interesting to me.

The same goes for O'Brien Schofield but his pass rush is actually good enough to where you might consider keeping him at 3-4 OLB. If not, he's a pretty classy prospect for ILB. High energy, can rush from anywhere, actually has good speed and instincts in coverage.

I'd like to take more of a look at Justin Cole. I know some folks that are high on him. He's on my to-do list, has my attention in certain ways.

After that it gets pretty mean. Have to see more in the Shrine Game, Senior Bowl and Combine.