PDA

View Full Version : urgent plea:churgoers reach for their checkbooks -- to the tune of $2.4 million

dreday
01-04-2010, 08:44 PM
link (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/Religion/post/2010/01/rick-warren-urgent-megachurch-million/1)

When Rev. Rick Warren says "Urgent," folks reach for their checkbooks -- to the tune of $2.4 million and counting.

Warren sent out an "urgent" plea Wednesday for the nation's sixth largest church to come up with more than $900,000 in 48 hours to meet a budget shortfall and allow the Saddleback Church to carry on service programs from Southern California to Africa.

It's standard fare for a pastor to remind the holiday-swollen crowds in December of the financial needs and goals of the institution. But there's little standard about Warren, 2009 religion newsmaker of the year on many year-end lists.

To no one's surprise, the congregation came through big time, even as Warren took a clubbing in the national media for the "sky-is-falling" tone of his missive and his surprise that it made news. A spokesman for the church later said Warren also made clear that the ministry "never asks -- or expects -- outsiders to give."

wow,churches have amazing fundraising power....

Bumpus
01-04-2010, 10:10 PM
In other news, Rev. Bumpus has issued an "Urgent" message to the followers of Bumpus-ism. The good reverend needs your money to replenish the church's supply of beer and hookers.

C'mon brothers ... Send your tens, send your twenties ... give til it hurts!

1 dol fan
01-04-2010, 11:31 PM
In other news, Rev. Bumpus has issued an "Urgent" message to the followers of Bumpus-ism. The good reverend needs your money to replenish the church's supply of beer and hookers.

C'mon brothers ... Send your tens, send your twenties ... give til it hurts!
I am not a religious man but I wouldn't think twice about giving money to the Bumpus for FH March Madness fund.

Noodle Arm
01-04-2010, 11:56 PM
Yo church, I needs da money!

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2010/01/homelessmangoesonline-1.jpg

JCane
01-05-2010, 12:30 AM
The ol' "Give me money so that God will like you" trick fools them again I see!

GoonBoss
01-05-2010, 02:57 AM
Heh. Christianity.

Dolphins7273
01-05-2010, 11:47 AM
Ah, the billion dollar business of religion.

WVDolphan
01-05-2010, 12:36 PM
Ah, the billion dollar business of religion.

Biggest scam going for thousands of years now.