PDA

View Full Version : Who is this Dez Bryant character and how can he help this team?

nosleep
01-04-2010, 10:06 PM
I'm not going to write a paragraph about how this guy can help our team. I'd rather show you what he can do. There's no doubt that this guy can be our number one receiver.

*Warning, the music on the highlights is terrible,
so I included a link to ACDC Thunderstruck for your listening pleasure:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvoeeq-BH4w

Highlights 2007-2008:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ5uPJGwscU

Highlights 2008-2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sXYiZjT038&feature=related

And, I know there's a draft forum, but half of the people here never go there or know how to get there.

Dajesus
01-04-2010, 10:13 PM
I'm not going to write a paragraph about how this guy can help our team. I'd rather show you what he can do. There's no doubt that this guy can be our number one receiver.

*Warning, the music on the highlights is terrible,
so I included a link to ACDC Thunderstruck for your listening pleasure:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvoeeq-BH4w

Highlights 2007-2008:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ5uPJGwscU

Highlights 2008-2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sXYiZjT038&feature=related

And, I know there's a draft forum, but half of the people here never go there or know how to get there.

Are you sure? There are only 2 examples of what happened to Dez this season, and both ended horribly. I think both Mike Williams and Mo Clarett have spent more time in jail then in the NFL.

Bo Jackson had to sit a year, but that was by choice, and not because the NCAA made him. Not playing football for 12 months does not get you ready to play football. If he wasn't a WR or QB I would not be as skeptical but those are the two hardest positions to break in at in the NFL.

Astrosback
01-04-2010, 10:30 PM
Are you sure? There are only 2 examples of what happened to Dez this season, and both ended horribly. I think both Mike Williams and Mo Clarett have spent more time in jail then in the NFL.

Bo Jackson had to sit a year, but that was by choice, and not because the NCAA made him. Not playing football for 12 months does not get you ready to play football. If he wasn't a WR or QB I would not be as skeptical but those are the two hardest positions to break in at in the NFL.

But a true WR1 will also be one of the most costly spots to fill in FA (see the 1st and 3rd roudn tenders that VJax, Marshall and Austin will all receive).

I think we have to take the risk on Dez Bryant at 1.12 if he's there. If not, take a combination of CJ Spiller and a WR in round 2 like Tate, Benn, Thomas or Gilyard. But one way or another, we need some fire power.

ZachThomas76
01-04-2010, 10:32 PM

Michael Crabtree. btw, there are countless rookie wr's the last few years that have made immediate impacts.

CashInFist
01-04-2010, 10:33 PM
Golden Tate in round 2 for the Dolphins, forget Dez Bryant.

#1dolphinsfan
01-04-2010, 10:40 PM
Tate wont be there in the second round for miami to pick

Dajesus
01-04-2010, 10:41 PM
Michael Crabtree. btw, there are countless rookie wr's the last few years that have made immediate impacts.

Wow!!! Could you have a less idea of what you are talking about? I was obviously talking about players who did not play organized football for year before they played in the NFL. I thought talking about Bo Jackson and Clarett, who are RBs, would have stopped anyone from making the assumption you made.

Your point is even worse considering the 49ers would most likely have made the playoffs if Crabtree would have played the whole season instead of holding out for 9 weeks. Crabtree dropped because of a late injury, Dez has personality flaws, and was suspended for his SR. season. I was making the comparison to Williams because he too was a sought after talent who was suspended by the NCAA.

ZachThomas76
01-04-2010, 10:46 PM
Wow!!! Could you have a less idea of what you are talking about? I was obviously talking about players who did not play organized football for year before they played in the NFL. I thought talking about Bo Jackson and Clarett, who are RBs, would have stopped anyone from making the assumption you made.

Your point is even worse considering the 49ers would most likely have made the playoffs if Crabtree would have played the whole season instead of holding out for 9 weeks. Crabtree dropped because of a late injury, Dez has personality flaws, and was suspended for his SR. season. I was making the comparison to Williams because he too was a sought after talent who was suspended by the NCAA.

excuse me? if you want to respond to my posts, do so with a little respect or dont bother. i know Bo Jackson and Clarett were backs. you said wr was one of the toughest positions to break in at, and brought up guys who have missed time ala Dez Bryant. well, Crabtree missed a huge chunk of the season and stepped right in and made plays. talent is talent. im really not sure what your point is then?

CashInFist
01-04-2010, 10:47 PM
Tate wont be there in the second round for miami to pick

You may be right...I hope he is though, it is not out of the realm of possibility. /prays :lol:

josekareh
01-04-2010, 10:49 PM
Probably, our offense and deffenses will be too old by the time he produces...

foozool13
01-04-2010, 10:51 PM
If Dez Bryant is there at #12 and we don't pick him....oh my I will snap

Dajesus
01-04-2010, 10:52 PM
excuse me? if you want to respond to my posts, do so with a little respect or dont bother. i know Bo Jackson and Clarett were backs. you said wr was one of the toughest positions to break in at, and brought up guys who have missed time ala Dez Bryant. well, Crabtree missed a huge chunk of the season and stepped right in and made plays. talent is talent. im really not sure what your point is then?

As you have showed me respect in other threads? Hypo.....You said and I quote, "other wrs have made an impact in their first season." Not guys who missed time have made an impact. That had clearly nothing to do with what I was talking about. I do fear a first year WR doing what we need a a WR to do next year, but my post was clearly about guys who were suspended, or missed a full season before playing having even less of a chance. Mainly as I singled out the only two players who were suspended by the NCAA before they were drafted the following season.

kud
01-04-2010, 10:52 PM

Tate... Why in the world would you want that little ****?

Give me a big physical athletic receiver who can go up and get it.

Bryant is the best WR in the draft by a wide margin.

radicalracer34
01-04-2010, 10:53 PM
Probably, our offense and deffenses will be too old by the time he produces...

if this is true then we need to look into nursing homes beause this kid is going to produce from day 1

ZachThomas76
01-04-2010, 10:59 PM
As you have showed me respect in other threads? Hypo.....You said and I quote, "other wrs have made an impact in their first season." Not guys who missed time have made an impact. That had clearly nothing to do with what I was talking about. I do fear a first year WR doing what we need a a WR to do next year, but my post was clearly about guys who were suspended, or missed a full season before playing having even less of a chance. Mainly as I singled out the only two players who were suspended by the NCAA before they were drafted the following season.

so Crabtree didnt make an impact then? whether he was suspended or held out like he chose to do, the fact is he missed significant time. and he stepped right in and made plays. you seem hung up on this suspended by the NCAA. i dont care what the reason is, if a guy isnt on the field playing ball, its irrelevant why to me. I would have no reservations taking Dez Bryant, and unlike Crabtree, he would have an entire offseason with the Phins unlike Crabtree assuming he doesnt hold out.

as to me not showing you respect, I simply asked how Chad Henne completing one bomb to Ginn makes him a franchise qb? I think even you sat back and have now realized how moronic that statement is............

ZachThomas76
01-04-2010, 11:01 PM

lol. clearly you have no idea who Golden Tate is. he's a former running back, and quite well put together. hes also very physical and quite a leaper, he just happens to be 5'11.

VA_Finfan
01-04-2010, 11:03 PM

Golden Tate is definitely not afraid of contact.

CashInFist
01-04-2010, 11:09 PM

Can you picture the #s Golden Tate would put up for the Cheatriots if they draft him with either the pick just before or just after Miami drafts in the 2nd round? He would make Welker look like the undrafted free agent he was.

Elliott 1
01-04-2010, 11:15 PM
Can you say, OVERRATED!

malzacher
01-04-2010, 11:51 PM
same here brother...I want Dez Bryant as badly as anyone who wants him but i trust in Ireland. If McClain is there as well, then I say draft him and hope Benn or tate will be there for us in the 2nd. But there is no way dez AND McClain will still be on the board.

tncZee
01-05-2010, 12:13 AM
Byrant seems to be of the fitz and calvin mold. Think about this, in reality, he took one year off from tests, classes, and other BS that comes with college to prepare for the nfl. He got in trouble for WORKING OUT with Neon Deion. After all that, they still project him top 10. Imagine if he had played, what would they be saying? Suh or Bryant for number 1? I think so, and I think if he drops at 12, we will be kicking ourselves for years to come. But on the same hand, I really like Rolando, And I think he well be in ray lewis mold. God imagine that.

23EmilioVasquez
01-05-2010, 03:06 AM
Byrant seems to be of the fitz and calvin mold. Think about this, in reality, he took one year off from tests, classes, and other BS that comes with college to prepare for the nfl. He got in trouble for WORKING OUT with Neon Deion. After all that, they still project him top 10. Imagine if he had played, what would they be saying? Suh or Bryant for number 1? I think so, and I think if he drops at 12, we will be kicking ourselves for years to come. But on the same hand, I really like Rolando, And I think he well be in ray lewis mold. God imagine that.

big dog here hit it on the head Bryant is a Freak he took most of the year off and is still considered a top 10 talent

He remind me of Vontae but at WR

Dez is Huge so he wont punk out when it come to contact
He is fast and can be our big play guy
He has great hands and catches everything

This guy is the next big thing and if he falls to us I will forever love Deion for getting him to us

Dajesus
01-05-2010, 03:43 AM
so Crabtree didnt make an impact then? whether he was suspended or held out like he chose to do, the fact is he missed significant time. and he stepped right in and made plays. you seem hung up on this suspended by the NCAA. i dont care what the reason is, if a guy isnt on the field playing ball, its irrelevant why to me. I would have no reservations taking Dez Bryant, and unlike Crabtree, he would have an entire offseason with the Phins unlike Crabtree assuming he doesnt hold out.

as to me not showing you respect, I simply asked how Chad Henne completing one bomb to Ginn makes him a franchise qb? I think even you sat back and have now realized how moronic that statement is............

No..I realized in Henne's second start he was our franchise QB. It just so happend it culminated when he hit Ginn after 8 quarters as our starting QB? When did you realize? When you say someone is moronic you are not being respectful therefore garner no respect for your self.

I do not care what Crabtree did, as it is irrelevant to my first post that you responded to. Dez was suspended by the NCAA and had to sit out a full season. That is not comparable to Crabtree missing 9 weeks. It is also not comparable to his character. Bryant cheated in college. The only other WR who was suspended by the NCAA was Williams, and that is the comparison.

Even if we do include Crabtree if Dez does the same thing Michael did then it was a wasted pick. We need a #1 WR, DT, ILB, and FS, on opening day next year. We do need to waste a #12 pick on someone that is not playing for the first 9 weeks of the season. I would much rather see us take someone who played this past season, and can help us now, than gamble another high draft choice on someone who turns out to be another Ginn, or Yatil Green.

EFWilson
01-05-2010, 04:04 AM
From reading some postings around this site it seems some people dont want a WR at 12 because he may turn out to be another Ginn. I guess the same logic has to apply to drafting an ILB in the first round, because he may turn out to be another Jackie Shipp for Miami. The Draft is mostly a crap shoot.

ckparrothead
01-05-2010, 01:52 PM
I've done so much work on Dez in the past that sometimes I just have to re-acquaint myself as a reminder of just how good he is.

Man, he's good.

He and C.J. Spiller are the best offensive prospects in the draft. Between those two, it's a toss up. Bryant's getting suspended has to be accounted for.

But even more, his being called out several times by his own coach has to be accounted for. Gundy has said that he doesn't give high effort on the field when the ball isn't in his hands. He's even called him the biggest cheerleader we've got, because he just sticks his hands up in the air and cheers when someone makes a play instead of getting his head down and trying to block someone.

If you pass on him at #12, you have to be supremely convinced of the player that you're taking. I don't know that I could pass on him.

hooshoops
01-05-2010, 02:02 PM
that's right...passing on dez bryant is nuts imo...

he's the goods

ckparrothead
01-05-2010, 02:15 PM
One positive about the character thing is he comes from a coach that certainly didn't pull any punches on him. When Gundy sees him being a cheerleader instead of finding work, he called him out on it. He even sent messages to Dez via the press, which Sparano won't often do but what you like is that Dez was able to stick with it under a guy like Gundy without too many problems until the NCAA laid the godsmack down on him.

On the other hand, you have to have zero clue what Mike Williams will do under a Sparano regime, and for that matter zero clue what Brandon Marshall would do.

hooshoops
01-05-2010, 02:21 PM
if and when marshall gets traded denver would scoop dez bryant up in a nanosecond with the pick right in front of us...i'm afraid

i only saw mike williams in 1 game this year against cincy and he didn't do a whole lot for me...but very small sample

ckparrothead
01-05-2010, 02:25 PM
Maybe but I don't think so. I think they need to figure out their quarterback situation. Josh McDaniels valued Matt Cassel so highly because he practically raised him from swaddling. He's going to want another guy that he can raise like that and if Sam Bradford or maybe even Colt McCoy look decent in the Combine and whatnot...look out. Those guys are perfect for McDaniels' pseudo-spread approach.

hooshoops
01-05-2010, 02:32 PM
Maybe but I don't think so. I think they need to figure out their quarterback situation. Josh McDaniels valued Matt Cassel so highly because he practically raised him from swaddling. He's going to want another guy that he can raise like that and if Sam Bradford or maybe even Colt McCoy look decent in the Combine and whatnot...look out. Those guys are perfect for McDaniels' pseudo-spread approach.

that would be great...let as many teams as possible in front of us fall in love with these qbs...

and let dez bryant come to papa...:lol:

and then watch us pass...:foundout:

ckparrothead
01-05-2010, 02:42 PM
Hah. Yeah I know. The way I currently see it playing out is thus...

1. Ndamukong Suh - Rams or Bucs
2. Gerald McCoy - Lions
3. Derrick Morgan/Jimmy Clausen - Bucs/Rams, respectively
4. C.J. Spiller/Russell Okung - Redskins
5. Eric Berry/Derrick Morgan - Chiefs
6. Russell Okung/Anthony Davis - Seahawks
7. Jimmy Clausen/Sam Bradford - Browns
8. Russell Okung/Anthony Davis - Raiders
9. Bruce Campbell/Trent Williams - Bills
10. Derrick Morgan/Everson Griffen - Jaguars
11. Sam Bradford/Colt McCoy - Broncos

skipp2myloo13
01-05-2010, 03:51 PM
Hah. Yeah I know. The way I currently see it playing out is thus...

1. Ndamukong Suh - Rams or Bucs
2. Gerald McCoy - Lions
3. Derrick Morgan/Jimmy Clausen - Bucs/Rams, respectively
4. C.J. Spiller/Russell Okung - Redskins
5. Eric Berry/Derrick Morgan - Chiefs
6. Russell Okung/Anthony Davis - Seahawks
7. Jimmy Clausen/Sam Bradford - Browns
8. Russell Okung/Anthony Davis - Raiders
9. Bruce Campbell/Trent Williams - Bills
10. Derrick Morgan/Everson Griffen - Jaguars
11. Sam Bradford/Colt McCoy - Broncos

I love not seeing Bryant on that list and only seeing Spiller once.

kud
01-05-2010, 05:34 PM
Can you picture the #s Golden Tate would put up for the Cheatriots if they draft him with either the pick just before or just after Miami drafts in the 2nd round? He would make Welker look like the undrafted free agent he was.

He's not the type of WR we need, and he's short. If you think he's a good consolation prize for passing on Dez(should he drop to us in the 1st) I think you're pretty dead wrong.

Tate is a good WR, but I don't believe he's what we're looking for here.

Lorenzo Rules
01-05-2010, 05:47 PM

hell with that Dez is the man and our staff should be fired if they didnt take Dez but i would not mind if we cut some guys and drafted both Bryant and Tate. then draft 4 linebackers and a safety.:ponder:

dahlmarino
01-05-2010, 05:54 PM
He's not the type of WR we need, and he's short. If you think he's a good consolation prize for passing on Dez(should he drop to us in the 1st) I think you're pretty dead wrong.

Tate is a good WR, but I don't believe he's what we're looking for here.

It's a no-brainer that Dez is the better of the 2, but 5'11 is not short for a WR. Plus, Tate can jump like crazy, he's both quick and fast, he's polished, he's tough and he has good hands. I know it would be a reach at 12, but if Bryant is gone and we don't see another prospect who can contribute immediately at a position of need (McClain is the only one that really comes to mind), then why not grab him? It's better than hoping an unpolished 3rd or 4th rounder comes through for us.

Dajesus
01-05-2010, 05:54 PM
I do not think you stay away from a player because you had bad look with another guy recently at the same posisition, but if you fail to lean from these mistakes then you have a problem. Ginn had a lot of question marks because his injury, and he seemed much better as a special teams player than a WR. Dez does not have the same questions, but has way too many question marks to gamble away another top 15 pick. You should not pick in the top 15 very often, but you will if you blow all your picks on WRs that turn out to be busts. IE the Lions. The draft is a gamble, and no matter who you pick, but why gamble on a long shot who has shown issues with charicter and his drive to play the game. I am confident that Ireland, Sparano, and Parcels, share my opinion on this, as they do not surround them selves with guys who do not work. Remember when they traded our defensive cpt because he wanted to dance more than he wanted to play football? I think they will recognize we have more pressing needs, but if they do take Bryant I will assume they saw a major change in this kid during the evaluation process.

hooshoops
01-05-2010, 06:04 PM
dez bryant a "long shot" lol...no

fgrocker
01-05-2010, 06:16 PM
I'm hoping that the Broncos get rid of Marshall and draft Bryant - leaving Rolando McClain for the Fins taking!

Arsenal WV
01-05-2010, 06:17 PM
I just hope being away from the game for a long time wont effect him any...

Other than that, I like him for our 1st pick

skipp2myloo13
01-05-2010, 06:35 PM
McClain is gone before Denver IMO. And yes i do hope his inactivity affects him enough to fall to us.

ChadHenne
01-05-2010, 06:45 PM
This Dez Bryant fellow had 19 TD's the last time he played a full season.

He's a freak of nature. Probably the best WR prospect since Calvin Johnson (although not too long ago). He's tall, strong, has great leaping ability, and is always a chance to make the big play.

People who don't want us to draft a WR because of "past history", please. I don't think the Lions regret the Calvin Johnson pick one bit. Dez Bryant has nothing to do with the Fins history of drafting WR's. Dez Bryant just happens to be one of the best prospects in all of college football, who would probably be a top 5 pick if he played this season.

The attitude "issues" with Bryant are BS. He was suspended because he lied about training with Deion Sanders. Just shows that he paniced. He is a bit immature, but so was Percy Harvin, and look at him right now.

If Dez Bryant falls to the Dolphins, I would in a heartbeat take him over Rolando McClain. I saw McClain, and hell he was great against my Gators, but getting Bryant doesn't just gain us a #1 WR, it helps us develop our franchise QB. I believe Henne regresses without a true #1 next season. Bryant can be that guy. McClain will be one hell of an ILB, hell he'll probably make the Pro Bowl in his first few years in the league, but like it or not, we are in an offensive league, where all the top NFL teams right now have franchise QB's and an extremely effective passing game. With Dez Bryant, this offense can reach elite status very soon.

ChadHenne
01-05-2010, 06:56 PM
I will add however that Dez Bryant needs to work on his route running when he gets to the NFL.

People mention the lack of speed, but if you have watched Dez play, I believe speed can sometimes be overrated in the league. Sad that NFL scouts and teams sometimes rate speed ahead of a WR's hands (which is Dez Bryant's biggest strength). Bryant's ok speed (probably 4.5-4.6 range) is made up for with the fact that he has a GREAT vertical jump if you have seen him play. Throw a jump ball and he is more than likely to catch it. A guy like Bryant is just near impossible to pass up.

Dajesus
01-05-2010, 07:00 PM
dez bryant a "long shot" lol...no

How can you laugh off being suspended for the entire 2009 season, cheating, and his coach saying he takes plays off? I agree he looked great in 2008, but Mike Williams looked amazing in his last season with USC. I would bet money he does not score as high of a prospect as Calvin Johnson, Crabtree, and even Roy Williams, did when they were ranked for the draft, as they were giving high 90 grades, and I bet Dez will be a high 80s prospect.

What boggles my mind more than anything about you people that want us to take Bryant is how you are ignoring offense was not our worse half this season? Our defense only caused 16 turn overs while the best team in the NFL Green Bay caused 40. We also were the 7 worst scoring defense in the NFL giving up over 24 points per game. Our offense on the other hand who will have their starting RB and center back next season was the 15th best scoring offense. If you look at the 6 games Ronnie and Henne started together we were averaging the 2nd best scoring offense in the NFL with over 29 points per game. We lost 5 games that we scored over 20 points. That is insane! Remember when we had Feidler? I remember for two seasons in a row we were perfect or very close to perfect when we scored 20 points or better, and our defense averaged allowing around 14 points.

Our offense is going to be better next year just by players coming back from injury and other players having another year under their belt. Henne, Bess, Long, Garner, and Thomas were all 2nd year players who started. While Berger and Groove were playing their first seasons as Dolphins. At WR are most expeirienced WRs was playing their 3rd season as Dolphins. Our 3 TEs are 25, 25, and 23 year old. We are somewhat young on the d-line and at CB, but very old at LB.

skipp2myloo13
01-05-2010, 07:07 PM
How can you laugh off being suspended for the entire 2009 season, cheating, and his coach saying he takes plays off? I agree he looked great in 2008, but Mike Williams looked amazing in his last season with USC. I would bet money he does not score as high of a prospect as Calvin Johnson, Crabtree, and even Roy Williams, did when they were ranked for the draft, as they were giving high 90 grades, and I bet Dez will be a high 80s prospect.

What boggles my mind more than anything about you people that want us to take Bryant is how you are ignoring offense was not our worse half this season? Our defense only caused 16 turn overs while the best team in the NFL Green Bay caused 40. We also were the 7 worst scoring defense in the NFL giving up over 24 points per game. Our offense on the other hand who will have their starting RB and center back next season was the 15th best scoring offense. If you look at the 6 games Ronnie and Henne started together we were averaging the 2nd best scoring offense in the NFL with over 29 points per game. We lost 5 games that we scored over 20 points. That is insane! Remember when we had Feidler? I remember for two seasons in a row we were perfect or very close to perfect when we scored 20 points or better, and our defense averaged allowing around 14 points.

Our offense is going to be better next year just by players coming back from injury and other players having another year under their belt. Henne, Bess, Long, Garner, and Thomas were all 2nd year players who started. While Berger and Groove were playing their first seasons as Dolphins. At WR are most expeirienced WRs was playing their 3rd season as Dolphins. Our 3 TEs are 25, 25, and 23 year old. We are somewhat young on the d-line and at CB, but very old at LB.

What is your Definition of cheat?
Why do you think we had very few turnover? Anything to do with rookies playing all over the secondary or stone handed DB's?
What Lb would you want if we passed on Dez?
You talk alot but dont seem to ever say anything