PDA

View Full Version : Taylor Mays

AphexPhin
01-05-2010, 12:07 PM
If Taylor Mays is there with the #12th pick, would you take him? I see that USC really wasnt all that impressive this year but Mays looks like he has a world of potential with an NFL body. He could absolutely start right away.

What do you guys think of Taylor Mays?

Thanks

TedSlimmJr
01-05-2010, 02:55 PM
In short...no.

He was exposed in a lot of areas this year....he's one of the guys that looks like he's playing not to get hurt sometimes because he's read too many of his own press clippings...

He's not the best safety in the draft IMO....he's not the 2nd best safety in the draft IMO....not the 3rd best...

His change of direction is bad...he has zero ball skills....he's not a playmaker....his tackling technique in the open field is poor...

He has his ups though.....but they don't benefit him on the football field nearly as much as they should....I've never bought into the hype surrounding him....not even as a junior....

He's experienced and has freakish measurables....and I'm not talking about what's listed either....I'm talking about when you watch him standing there next to his teammates...he's a monster...I can't believe he's a safety...

PhinsRDbest
01-05-2010, 03:06 PM
Dolphins need a ball hawk which Mays is not.

skipp2myloo13
01-05-2010, 03:36 PM
He may be a good ILB for us. But not at 12.

dahlmarino
01-05-2010, 03:45 PM
Move him to ILB and we've got something. But stay away from him in round 1.

Canadi-Phin
01-05-2010, 03:53 PM
I'll take him in the fourth, hahaha.

skipp2myloo13
01-05-2010, 04:13 PM
I'll take him in the fourth, hahaha.

He isnt a terrible player, but he isnt a first rounder. He has too much raw talent to fall out of the first. Some underachieving team with all the pieces will take him and try to mold him. Does Dallas want another Roy Williams DB. haha

ArmyFin7
01-05-2010, 04:15 PM
The Giants will be shopping in the corner/safety aisle.

skipp2myloo13
01-05-2010, 04:18 PM
The Giants will be shopping in the corner/safety aisle.

Very true. He is better but similar to Kenny Phillips and Landry.

Canadi-Phin
01-05-2010, 04:54 PM
He isnt a terrible player, but he isnt a first rounder. He has too much raw talent to fall out of the first. Some underachieving team with all the pieces will take him and try to mold him. Does Dallas want another Roy Williams DB. haha

Oh I agree, he isn't even closet to terrible but I would take him in the fourth in a heartbeat. Even if he wasn't a need.

dr.jake
01-05-2010, 05:20 PM
i think he played himself out of the first round this year. on the board #2...sure why not.

baseballcb95
01-05-2010, 05:20 PM
He would be an absoluetly SICK ILB, think bout it. the guy hits hard, rediculously hard, runs very fast and obviously though he may not be great, he certainly isnt terrible in coverage (for a ILB) idk 1000 % no in the 1st round tho..

skipp2myloo13
01-05-2010, 05:54 PM
He would be an absoluetly SICK ILB, think bout it. the guy hits hard, rediculously hard, runs very fast and obviously though he may not be great, he certainly isnt terrible in coverage (for a ILB) idk 1000 % no in the 1st round tho..

He doesnt tackle very well and flies out of position. Doesnt sound that great to me. His only saving grave is he can cover a TE, but so can Howard out in Oakland and he is a FA

Dogbone34
01-05-2010, 06:08 PM
i'm hoping one of the 11 losers in front of us fall in love with taylor mays. come on seattle

hooshoops
01-05-2010, 06:14 PM
imo he's a disaster waiting to happen at safety in the pros...i wouldn't even look at him

we got enough stiff poor tackling bad angle taking safety play this year...

Kistner10
01-05-2010, 07:36 PM
Taylor Mays will be a STUD in the pros. This year he was surrounded by the worst supporting cast he's had the last 4 years so he wasn't able to make as many big plays. But the guy is always around the football. He made a HUGE pick against CAL at the beginning of the game when the bears were about to score. He's a 235 lb safety with legit 4.3 speed. He's a solid cover safety and an absolute beast in run support.

skipp2myloo13
01-05-2010, 07:39 PM
Taylor Mays will be a STUD in the pros. This year he was surrounded by the worst supporting cast he's had the last 4 years so he wasn't able to make as many big plays. But the guy is always around the football. He made a HUGE pick against CAL at the beginning of the game when the bears were about to score. He's a 235 lb safety with legit 4.3 speed. He's a solid cover safety and an absolute beast in run support.

How is Jamarcus and Heywad-Bey working out for you Al DAvis?

Kistner10
01-05-2010, 08:21 PM
How is Jamarcus and Heywad-Bey working out for you Al DAvis?

Haha funny but the difference was that Mays actually produced in college. Watch some USC games once in a while.

JCane
01-05-2010, 08:26 PM
Haha funny but the difference was that Mays actually produced in college. Watch some USC games once in a while.

Sooooo....JaMarcus Russell and Darius Heyward-Bey didn't produce in college yet somehow warranted picks HIGHER than what Taylor Mays is about to be drafted?

That certainly makes all the sense in the world.

tical
01-05-2010, 08:43 PM
the two usc games i saw, scared the hell outta me! i can't begin to tell u how much the guy reminded me of Wilson.

He over ran plays and was outta position alot! no thanks! especially when u compare him to berry they are night and day! if he's the second rated safety...start clemons i'm fine with that!

4.3 my butt! i watched usc vs. boston college don't remember the reciever name for B.C. but he caught a slant, split both safeties(bad angles)( one ways mays) and took it like 60 yards for the TD! and that receiver was consider slow..when he scored mays wasn't even in the picture!

must be that ronnie brown sub 4.3 speed

emeraldfin
01-05-2010, 08:58 PM
Not the type of Safety we need. Would prefer Earl Thomas.

FinsFanatic777
01-05-2010, 09:00 PM

Amen to that. Earl Thomas is the way to go. If Bryant and McClain are gone by 12, we MUST trade down, acquire extra picks, and take Earl Thomas. He is a future stud.

Fresh
01-05-2010, 09:05 PM
At #12? No way in hell.

PhinsRDbest
01-05-2010, 09:22 PM
+1

jlfin
01-05-2010, 09:39 PM
If Taylor Mays is there with the #12th pick, would you take him? I see that USC really wasnt all that impressive this year but Mays looks like he has a world of potential with an NFL body. He could absolutely start right away.

What do you guys think of Taylor Mays?

Thanks

He's Louis Oliver incarnate. Big and fast (straight line speed), but a liability covering a running back out of the backfield and covering slot receivers.
We already have 2 pretty good run supporting safeties in Wilson and Bell.

Kistner10
01-06-2010, 12:20 AM
Sooooo....JaMarcus Russell and Darius Heyward-Bey didn't produce in college yet somehow warranted picks HIGHER than what Taylor Mays is about to be drafted?

That certainly makes all the sense in the world.

I know huh?? What'd Bey have?? 600-700 yards recieving his last year in college?? Wasn't nominated for any colliegete award. He only got drafted because Al Davis is in love with speed. I don't know how you can even argue this one?? You must be related to Al Davis. And Jamarcus wasn't even a full time player until a couple of games into his jr. year. He split time with Matt Flynn. No production.

Taylor Mays has produced. I'm not saying take him at 12 and Berry is a lot better than him. But Mays will be a very good player in the pros. He can hit, he makes plays on the ball, and he is all over the field. Last year, he was rated above Berry. USC just had a terrible defense this year and it didn't allow him to roam and make plays. Not saying he needs to be a Dolphin. Just saying what I've seen outta him the last 4 years.

hooshoops
01-06-2010, 12:49 AM
omg...earl thomas all day long over mayes

JCane
01-06-2010, 12:55 AM
I know huh?? What'd Bey have?? 600-700 yards recieving his last year in college?? Wasn't nominated for any colliegete award. He only got drafted because Al Davis is in love with speed. I don't know how you can even argue this one?? You must be related to Al Davis. And Jamarcus wasn't even a full time player until a couple of games into his jr. year. He split time with Matt Flynn. No production.

Taylor Mays has produced. I'm not saying take him at 12 and Berry is a lot better than him. But Mays will be a very good player in the pros. He can hit, he makes plays on the ball, and he is all over the field. Last year, he was rated above Berry. USC just had a terrible defense this year and it didn't allow him to roam and make plays. Not saying he needs to be a Dolphin. Just saying what I've seen outta him the last 4 years.

Dude, I get it. I wasn't in love with Russell or Heyward-Bey either. But they produced in college. I thought both picks were ridiculous.

Watch film. Watch Taylor Mays. Don't watch the highlights on SportsCenter. Mays is a big physical guy who looks good in pads. He's fast. He lays big hits. Mays finds himself out of position so often it's pathetic. Now, Eric Berry...THAT is secondary help. Eric Berry prevents plays from developing. Mays makes big tackles after the play has developed. It's not hard to see that Taylor Mays won't cut it as a Safety in the NFL. It's as plain as day.

By the way, I got laughed off the draft forums last season for saying Brian Cushing was a better NFL prospect that Rey Maualuga.

Keep laughing.

;)

hooshoops
01-06-2010, 01:00 AM
mauluga is no slouch...that cincy d got better in an instant with a physical player like him

but i have to admit (and i didn't like cushing last year) he's been a heck of a player for the texans...

Quadfather
01-06-2010, 01:16 AM
taylor mays was hurt all last year. look at his junior year. the games against ohio state and illinois are good. hes gonna be a stud, im just saying, and i wouldnt be upset if we took him at 12. he can make all the plays. the guy is 235 and runs a 4.25 40. linebacker my ***.

Awsi Dooger
01-06-2010, 02:01 AM
I'd cry if we drafted him. If you want a self celebratory champ who whiffs a half dozen plays for every one he makes, Mays is your guy.

Sometimes his whiffs aren't obvious because he avoids the proper angle so decisively he's not involved when he should have been.

Pinkboy
01-06-2010, 02:13 AM
Mays is as dumb as a doornail. His football IQ is crap, he has no instincts for the game. All he is is another guy like the Fullback Cam drafted who likes to bust through walls. But sucks as a football player.

After watching that fruit Taylor Mays play, I agree 100% with this assessment from WalterFootball-

Weaknesses:
Takes false steps in coverage and poor angles
Lacks instincts
Zero ball skills
Not much of a playmaker
Poor tackling technique; throws body around without using arms/hands to wrap up
Hasn't improved his weaknesses going back to sophomore season
Occasionally not in position
Plays out of control
More of an athlete than a football player

Summary: Mays isn't a free safety at the next level; no chance he pans out there because he is horrible in coverage and has zero ball skills. Mays idea of playing football is running and throwing his body around, which is why I am giving him the nickname “The Trojan Torpedo.” I think Mays can start at strong safety for some team, but he will be pretty average.

Mays is the Vernon Gholston of safety prospects. Sure he has great measurables, but so did Gholston. I personally wouldn't draft Mays in the top 40 picks, but his draft range is all over the board. He could go top five to a team like Oakland or he could fall to the lower part of the first round.

Player Comparison: Roy L. Williams. It's like someone cloned Roy Williams; Mays and Williams are the EXACT same player. Mays will struggle greatly in coverage at the next level, but he hits hard and is good in run support. Buyer beware.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2010tmays.php

AphexPhin
01-06-2010, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the insight on Mays!
Appreciate your honest opinions on this. I actually havent paid too much attention to a number of draft prospects this year.

emeraldfin
01-06-2010, 01:23 PM
Mays is as dumb as a doornail. His football IQ is crap, he has no instincts for the game. All he is is another guy like the Fullback Cam drafted who likes to bust through walls. But sucks as a football player.

After watching that fruit Taylor Mays play, I agree 100% with this assessment from WalterFootball-

Weaknesses:
Takes false steps in coverage and poor angles
Lacks instincts
Zero ball skills
Not much of a playmaker
Poor tackling technique; throws body around without using arms/hands to wrap up
Hasn't improved his weaknesses going back to sophomore season
Occasionally not in position
Plays out of control
More of an athlete than a football player

Summary: Mays isn't a free safety at the next level; no chance he pans out there because he is horrible in coverage and has zero ball skills. Mays idea of playing football is running and throwing his body around, which is why I am giving him the nickname “The Trojan Torpedo.” I think Mays can start at strong safety for some team, but he will be pretty average.

Mays is the Vernon Gholston of safety prospects. Sure he has great measurables, but so did Gholston. I personally wouldn't draft Mays in the top 40 picks, but his draft range is all over the board. He could go top five to a team like Oakland or he could fall to the lower part of the first round.

Player Comparison: Roy L. Williams. It's like someone cloned Roy Williams; Mays and Williams are the EXACT same player. Mays will struggle greatly in coverage at the next level, but he hits hard and is good in run support. Buyer beware.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2010tmays.php

I could be wrong on this, but wasn't Parcells with the Cowboys when they drafted Roy Williams?

ChambersWI
01-06-2010, 01:28 PM
I could be wrong on this, but wasn't Parcells with the Cowboys when they drafted Roy Williams?

Roy Williams was drafted the year before Parcells got there, but strangely enough, Roy Williams was at his best (and actually a very good player) when playing for Parcells with Mike Zimmer as the DC.

As for Taylor Mays... I'm conflicted. Part of me thinks he's a great SS prospect and is a much better tackler than Roy ever was. He isn't gonna get ints, but he's a great player in his own right that allegedly ran a 4.28 40. But at the same time, he is not good in coverage and we saw this year how much it can hurt to not have a cover safety.

RonnieB23
01-06-2010, 02:15 PM
After the combine, once he put up great numbers, you'll see his stock will skyrocket and he'll end being pick in the top 10. Donte Wihtner anybody ?

RealDriscoll
01-06-2010, 02:58 PM
I don't even have Mays in my Top 25....

RealDriscoll
01-06-2010, 02:58 PM
Earl Thomas, Morgan Burnett, and Eric Berry are much better Safeties

hooshoops
01-06-2010, 03:48 PM
no way taylor mayes is gonna run a 4.28

not happening

ckparrothead
01-06-2010, 04:22 PM
Man. Mays is a guy everyone loves to hate, lol.

Personally I think his best days are ahead of him. He'll get better and better. Hard to know where that train will stop when he's got such ridiculous measurables.

But I wouldn't take him at #12. Too risky.

I'd love to diss on Earl Thomas because of his height but the fact of the matter is he's a damn good player.

Always appreciated Morgan Burnett.

ChambersWI
01-06-2010, 04:43 PM
After the combine, once he put up great numbers, you'll see his stock will skyrocket and he'll end being pick in the top 10. Donte Wihtner anybody ?

the thing with Whitner was people fell in love with the fact that he was so smart, and committed in the film room. Plus he was really productive. I really wanted Miami to draft him that year. Unfortunately for Buffalo, he hasn't translated well to the pros.

If Earl Thomas enters the draft, he'd be very tempting at 12.

If Eric Berry somehow fell to 12, I'd wet my pants.

hooshoops
01-06-2010, 05:31 PM
earl thomas is a damn good football player...

early this year slimm was telling me earl thomas is just a notch below eric berry and i was like "yeah... right" and then i started watching texas tape mainly to scout sergio kindle first and earl thomas just kept jumping out at me...

right now i don't know about #12 with him but in the #16 to #20 range heck yeah

love him

WelcomeBack
01-06-2010, 06:21 PM
Man. Mays is a guy everyone loves to hate, lol.

Personally I think his best days are ahead of him. He'll get better and better. Hard to know where that train will stop when he's got such ridiculous measurables.

But I wouldn't take him at #12. Too risky.

I'd love to diss on Earl Thomas because of his height but the fact of the matter is he's a damn good player.

Always appreciated Morgan Burnett.

I'm wondering if some of Mays' dropoff could be from the changing of the coordinator.

dolfan91
01-06-2010, 07:32 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Taylor Mays is the most OVERRATED Safety prospect in many years!!! he can't cover a damn blanket; let alone a WR or TE ... Stay away from this guy ... hes' got bust written all over him...

ChambersWI
01-06-2010, 07:45 PM
I'm wondering if some of Mays' dropoff could be from the changing of the coordinator.

he hurt his knee early in the season. Plus, the USC defense was really young and inexperienced. They lost atleast 8 starters from last year's team, and I actually think they may have lost 10 of 11 starters from last year cause of injuries.

Now I'm interested to see how Mays's teammate Everson Griffen tests out. He may be an option at OLB.

WelcomeBack
01-06-2010, 07:46 PM
he hurt his knee early in the season. Plus, the USC defense was really young and inexperienced. They lost atleast 8 starters from last year's team, and I actually think they may have lost 10 of 11 starters from last year cause of injuries.

Now I'm interested to see how Mays's teammate Everson Griffen tests out. He may be an option at OLB.

Not to mention the loss of Shareece Wright to his academic issues.

ChambersWI
01-06-2010, 07:49 PM
Not to mention the loss of Shareece Wright to his academic issues.

yeah, and the young LB corp was pretty inconsistent this year from what I saw. They have some talented young guys (Malcolm Smith, Chris Gailippo, Michael Morgon, Jarvis Jones, Devon Kinnard). But they were VERY inconsistent and struggled mightily in PAC 10 play.

Mays played more like a LB this year than in past years, BUT so did another safety from USC, a guy who single handedly takes Pittsburgh's d from good to elite.

WelcomeBack
01-06-2010, 07:52 PM
yeah, and the young LB corp was pretty inconsistent this year from what I saw. They have some talented young guys (Malcolm Smith, Chris Gailippo, Michael Morgon, Jarvis Jones, Devon Kinnard). But they were VERY inconsistent and struggled mightily in PAC 10 play.

Mays played more like a LB this year than in past years, BUT so did another safety from USC, a guy who single handedly takes Pittsburgh's d from good to elite.

Unfortunately, Seto isn't as good as Holt was when letting Mays roam. The injury to the knee didn't help one bit.

Galippo is going to be real good. Kennard just barely converted to LB after being heavily recruited as an end. So, he's just learning. He only moved there when Michael Morgan went down.

j-off-her-doll
01-06-2010, 09:34 PM
Mays obviously is a player to groom behind Y. Bell. He's not the E. Berry we need at FS.

If we take Mays in the 1st, I'll pee on my hands and slap my neighbor (dude's a cop).