PDA

View Full Version : The Bleach Report has the Phins Drafting

kellyh3034
01-05-2010, 01:04 PM
C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson. Their reasoning,

"
Wildcard. The Miami Dolphins refuse to do anything conventional, and after an injury to Ronnie Brown hurt their playoff hopes it's time for Miami to add another piece to their Wildcat puzzle.

The Phins have a strong rushing attack and mixing in Spiller for 10 rushes and five receptions per game will only make them that much more explosive. The Phins don't have a giant need for a return man but letting Ted Ginn handle kicks and Spiller handle punts is the most dangerous return tandem of all-time.
Miami could use some more tools on D. A nose, inside backer, and safety would all upgrade their D at this point of the draft.
I just don't see how Spiller will fall much farther than 10, if he runs a sub 4.4 forty teams may be trading up to get him."

Kiick72
01-05-2010, 01:06 PM
I would come completely unhinged if we draft an offensive player that is not a receiver at 12. I think we will go linebacker but definately not a running back.

MiamiDolfan85
01-05-2010, 01:07 PM
if we draft Spiller,I better not see Ginn still returning any kicks.....period.

Breed
01-05-2010, 01:11 PM
If Spiller is the BPA, so be it. You don't have to be a WR to help in the passing game.

ArmyFin7
01-05-2010, 01:12 PM
Would be interesting for kick returns....kick it to Ginn or Spiller?

Ilovemyfins4eva
01-05-2010, 01:12 PM
if we can fill our defensive holes via free agency, then i dont mind drafting spiller. if not, then no way, we must draft ilb in my opinion either spikes or mcain.

The Furminister
01-05-2010, 01:16 PM
They clearly have no idea what they're talking about. Sparano even said now that we have a quaterback, were going to be going back to the conventinal style. They only started the wild cat because we had Ronnie and Ricky and they wanted to take advantage of that.

showstopper
01-05-2010, 01:20 PM
Spiller wouldn't surprise me if he is BPA. Ricky will retire after next year, they need help in the return game and they need speed, period

Orlando Fan
01-05-2010, 01:25 PM
I'd be surprised if he falls that far, but he is a good RB and if you can get one that is that good then I say go for it. the draft is deep in all the positions the fins need so there will be plenty of talent to choose from.

RockyMtnPhinfan
01-05-2010, 01:31 PM
Yeh lets spend our first pick overall on a freakin return guy. Oh wait we did that with Sham Cameron. Nevermind.

Mcganiel
01-05-2010, 01:34 PM
I'll take spiller in heart beat. Ricky is old and Ronnie is hurt AGAIN. Him Lex and polite would give us backfield for the next 5 years. Dez will be gone by our pick and there isn't another wideout deserving to be a 12th pick. This draft is loaded with linbackers so I see us honestly taking this kid if he's available.

Pinkboy
01-05-2010, 01:35 PM
Spiller made the University of Miami look the University of The Little Sisters of the Poor

LikeUntoGod
01-05-2010, 01:39 PM
(Loaded with ILB's?)

We did not lose games due to lack of passing yards.

We did not lose games due to lack of rushing yards.

We lost games due to lack of solid defense and giving up fumbles and interceptions.

rob19
01-05-2010, 01:49 PM
(Loaded with ILB's?)

We lost games due to lack of solid defense and giving up fumbles and interceptions.

Were also not going to make a Superbowl run realistically next year either.

Don't think drafting for need is immediately going to make us contenders.

Take the BPA and you'll never regret it. Especially considering Ricky is gone after next year, and I personally don't think Lex Hilliard is anything close to special... or even a solid #2 to be honest... Ronnie and Spiller would do damage in the WC... and I promise you Spiller would get to the edge much faster than Ricky does on those JetSweeps..

Then if you take into account that this years draft seems deep at LB, it makes even more sense. Or maybe trade a 2nd for Boldin, sign a D'Qwell Jackson in FA, and draft a few young LB's in round 3,4etc? We'd have the best offense in the league.

I could only hope we'd be so lucky for Spiller to fall to us.

not to mention a dynamic kick returner..

Mcganiel
01-05-2010, 01:53 PM
Yeh lets spend our first pick overall on a freakin return guy. Oh wait we did that with Sham Cameron. Nevermind.
Dude hes not just a return guy. He will be a premier running back and this best in this years draft hands down..

GoonBoss
01-05-2010, 01:54 PM
Do you realize our own draft forum is just as, if not more reliable than the Bleaher Report? Do you realize that the "Bleacher report" is just random guy that registers an account?

Mcganiel
01-05-2010, 02:03 PM
The only player i will take over DEZ or Spiller is Rolando McClain, he is going to be the next ray lewis. BP is not gowing to pass on this guy.

utahphinsfan
01-05-2010, 02:05 PM
Dez Bryant is tight w/ Primetime Sanders. Cause for Concern? Abso-freakin-lutely.

enduro
01-05-2010, 02:05 PM
I would come completely unhinged if we draft an offensive player that is not a receiver at 12. I think we will go linebacker but definately not a running back.

if spiller is there at 12 we will jump on him. we will not draft a wr #1 after drafting 2 last year. It will be spiller or a defensive player.

nyashfan
01-05-2010, 02:07 PM
Do you guys have any thoughts regarding the Rb McCluster from Ole Miss? Seems to be in the Chris Johnson mold (not saying as good).

skipp2myloo13
01-05-2010, 02:08 PM
Dez Bryant is tight w/ Primetime Sanders. Cause for Concern? Abso-freakin-lutely.

Please i hope you are joking. It is his idle. As Deon was to many kids. Dez is known as a quiet, hardworking, humble, down to earth guy. Fans who have no idea but speak anyway, casue for a alarm? Abso-fricken-lutley.

Orlando Fan
01-05-2010, 02:12 PM
(Loaded with ILB's?)

No we lost games because our LB's could not cover the TE down the middle, and as the poster above said the draft is VERY deep in LB's inside and outside. DB's will come together next season, the real problem with the defense is the LB's.

Orlando Fan
01-05-2010, 02:16 PM
Do you guys have any thoughts regarding the Rb McCluster from Ole Miss? Seems to be in the Chris Johnson mold (not saying as good).

He really looked good in the bowl game the other day but the guy is only around 175 LBs not sure he has the size to take the NFL pounding. I see McCluster more as a return man on KO and Punt returns, could also turn into a slot reciever like Welker.

BigJP
01-05-2010, 02:20 PM
I'm in as long as we draft the spiller family! LOL

Dolphin Dave
01-05-2010, 02:20 PM
Dang! My crystal ball is broken and I have no idea who the Dolphins are going to pick. Can't rule it out but, I would be really surprised by a RB in the first rd. I could see us taking one anywhere from the 3rd round or lower as insurance though.

My hope is that someone drops a bit that a team behind us wants badly enough to trade up a few spots and get an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder. There is a lot of talent in this draft that there are going to be plenty of good players to choose from. The more the better.

outlawd2u
01-05-2010, 02:27 PM
I would not be the least bit dissapointed with Spiller at #12. Yes we have Ronnie and Ricky but Spiller is a playmaker/game changer and we can use those on offense reguardless of the position.

enduro
01-05-2010, 02:28 PM
No we lost games because our LB's could not cover the TE down the middle, and as the poster above said the draft is VERY deep in LB's inside and outside. DB's will come together next season, the real problem with the defense is the LB's.

you are absolutely correct. that is why i think we will draft spiller if he is there at 12 and pick up defense the rest of the draft. sure we need a #1 wr but i can't see them picking up one at #1 with them already drafting 2 this past year. Spiller would electrify this offense. screens, coming out of the backfield and lining up at receiver. i am pumped up to draft him. Heck they might let brown walk if there was a new labor agreement.

Dr. Phin
01-05-2010, 02:33 PM
They clearly have no idea what they're talking about. Sparano even said now that we have a quaterback, were going to be going back to the conventinal style. They only started the wild cat because we had Ronnie and Ricky and they wanted to take advantage of that.

I totally agree. We have already started to change our offense towards a more pass-oriented approach now that we have a QB who can get the ball down field. RB is not a first round priority AT ALL IMO.

phinfreak
01-05-2010, 02:59 PM
C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson. Their reasoning,

"

In my earlier thread "fins need RB in 2010.." I said this is a position of need for this team. Brown second season ending injury, RW getting long in the tooth, Hilliard has no game breaking ability...the fastest and most reliable way to impact the offense in terms of play making ability is to draft a playmaker RB like a CJS.

I, however, doubt he'll be there.

Not sure there are any ILB worth #12 money either.

I would much prefer Parcells trades down and we pick up another 2nd rounder.

Running Backs can be found in later rounds just like OL and DL.

Phantom
01-05-2010, 05:11 PM
Anybody who counts on Ronnie Brown for a season is a fool.

Lorenzo Rules
01-05-2010, 05:20 PM
if we draft Spiller,I better not see Ginn still returning any kicks.....period.

I wished the fins would draft de/dt Swanson Miller or linebacker Orie Lemon in the late 5th rd and draft a tightend and wr with the first two picks and then draft 1 de and 3 linebackers.

please dont draft a linebacke in rd 1 all he will do is become Eddie Moore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rob19
01-05-2010, 06:48 PM
I wished the fins would draft de/dt Swanson Miller or linebacker Orie Lemon in the late 5th rd and draft a tightend and wr with the first two picks and then draft 1 de and 3 linebackers.

please dont draft a linebacke in rd 1 all he will do is become Eddie Moore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eddie Moore was a 2nd rounder thooo

miamiron
01-05-2010, 07:12 PM
Defense has to be the priority
We gave up 390 points only 1 year in the past 10 years has been worse with 437 points allowed and we went 1-15

2nd worse performance of a defense in the past 10 years and people are talking about a running back...absurd

skipp2myloo13
01-05-2010, 07:15 PM
Who would you draft ron. People are so quick to shoot things down but never man up and say anything.

callaway1234
01-05-2010, 07:19 PM
When did Sparano say this? Link? Not that I don't believe you but I find it extremely hard to believe we'll never use the Wildcat again.

Desides
01-05-2010, 07:19 PM
If Spiller is the BPA, so be it. You don't have to be a WR to help in the passing game.

Henne's YPA is already too low. We don't need yet another backfield target. We need two receivers and a tight end.

Breed
01-05-2010, 07:23 PM
Henne's YPA is already too low. We don't need yet another backfield target. We need two receivers and a tight end.

Spiller is probably the best receiving back in years. He's a blend between Chris Johnson and Marshall Faulk. If he's as advertised, you don't think that will help the passing game? Drafting for need is a big reason we're in the position we're in, we need to draft the BPA. If that BPA is Spiller, we could certainly do a lot worse.

callaway1234
01-05-2010, 07:24 PM
Anybody who counts on Ronnie Brown for a season is a fool.
Well if we draft this guy there will be way too much money tied up in running backs.

MadDog 88
01-05-2010, 07:24 PM
Parcells will not take a RB in the first round and I agree. Why spend a high choice on a RB that has a shelf life of 4 years? Our ground game is fine. Our return game is fine. Those are not the priority.

When you have the 4th best running game and are ranked 28th at yards per play against it's pretty obvious where this choice and this off season will go.

MrEd
01-05-2010, 07:33 PM
Actually, the idea would not be too far fetched if they decide to move Ronnie Brown for a draft pick. I believe that even coming off the injury, Ronnie's stock has gone sky high with the famedd Wildcat. He could net us an easy 2nd round pick.

If they were to do such a thing, then the Spiller at #12 would make all the sense in the world. I definitely don't believe MIA is going to draft yet another young WR. They need a vet and to get one they'd need a pick that Brown would net us.

And as far as ILB? Yes, ILB is our main need, but not one you fill at #12 unless his name is McClain. Spikes has "speed" questions....oh, no not another Crowder?

I say that we go BPA that would be either an OLB, not an ILB, you can land one of those in the 2nd round and beyond or in FA.

OLB or RB (if we trade Brown)...and not sure about NT or TE at #12. If we trade down, maybe...

callaway1234
01-05-2010, 07:36 PM
Actually, the idea would not be too far fetched if they decide to move Ronnie Brown for a draft pick. I believe that even coming off the injury, Ronnie's stock has gone sky high with the famedd Wildcat. He could net us an easy 2nd round pick.

If they were to do such a thing, then the Spiller at #12 would make all the sense in the world. I definitely don't believe MIA is going to draft yet another young WR. They need a vet and to get one they'd need a pick that Brown would net us.

And as far as ILB? Yes, ILB is our main need, but not one you fill at #12 unless his name is McClain. Spikes has "speed" questions....oh, no not another Crowder?

I say that we go BPA that would be either an OLB, not an ILB, you can land one of those in the 2nd round and beyond or in FA.

OLB or RB (if we trade Brown)...and not sure about NT or TE at #12. If we trade down, maybe...
That seems like the only scenario to draft a RB in the 1st. I'm not sure if teams would give a 2nd for him simply for injury concerns, but a conditional 2nd rounder that can turn into a 1st and I would definitely do that.

Kiick72
01-05-2010, 07:41 PM
I say take McClain at 12, even better if we could trade down and pick him a couple of spots lower. We really need a quality Ilb.

Dajesus
01-05-2010, 07:44 PM
If we sign a ILB, NT, and FS(it would be cool if Allen can comeback and play FS,) then I would not be pissed if we drafted Spiller. Everyone is all up in arms saying we need a great WR, but what we need is a home run threat. Both of our RBs are power backs, and Hartline was the only WR with good hands and a high YPC, but he was our 4th WR. Spiller could line up as a WR as well as a RB. If we can't sign Marshal then Spiller would bring in a deep threat much faster than Bryant would, as he did not miss the 2009 season, and it will be much easier for us to get him 15-20 touches a game.

Astrosback
01-05-2010, 08:02 PM
Defense is obviously a huge need but so is a playmaker on offense.

Anyone who says RB isn't a need is crazy. Ricky will be 33 and in his last year. He will be an injury risk at that age. Ronnie should be given the 2nd round tender so hopefully he gets signed by another team and we get the 2nd rounder. Lex is an average RB3 but nothing more. Cobbs is also an average RB3 who will be coming off an injury. RB is a huge, huge need.

CJ Spiller would make an excellent pick at 1.12.

Especially if we could fill NT, LB and FS in FA with Vince Wilfork, Kirk Morrison and Antrel Rolle respectively.

Then draft...

1.12 CJ Spiller
2a Golden Tate, Demaryius Thomas, Damian Willaims or Mardy Gilyard
2b, 3, 4, 5 OLBs and ILBs

The 2a pick would be acquired for Ronnie's 2nd round tender.

MadDog 88
01-05-2010, 08:06 PM

I agree on Spikes. Not to thrilled with him. If McClain is gone then I would turn to Dan Williams or Eric Berry if he is still on the board. Berry is grading out to be a Ed Reed type of player. Much rather have him in the secondary for the next 10 years then a RB at #12.

72champagne
01-05-2010, 08:06 PM
Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense Defense

MadDog 88
01-05-2010, 08:09 PM
Defense is obviously a huge need but so is a playmaker on offense.

Anyone who says RB isn't a need is crazy. Ricky will be 33 and in his last year. He will be an injury risk at that age. Ronnie should be given the 2nd round tender so hopefully he gets signed by another team and we get the 2nd rounder. Lex is an average RB3 but nothing more. Cobbs is also an average RB3 who will be coming off an injury. RB is a huge, huge need.

CJ Spiller would make an excellent pick at 1.12.

Especially if we could fill NT, LB and FS in FA with Vince Wilfork, Kirk Morrison and Antrel Rolle respectively.

Then draft...

1.12 CJ Spiller
2a Golden Tate, Demaryius Thomas, Damian Willaims or Mardy Gilyard
2b, 3, 4, 5 OLBs and ILBs

The 2a pick would be acquired for Ronnie's 2nd round tender.
RB is the least of our worries this year. Especially in the first round. Hilliard filled in nicely, Sheets has promise, CObbs will be back and you can pick up another if you want in the later rounds. Our ground game is ranked #4 in the NFL.

rob19
01-05-2010, 08:15 PM
Parcells will not take a RB in the first round and I agree. Why spend a high choice on a RB that has a shelf life of 4 years? Our ground game is fine. Our return game is fine. Those are not the priority.

When you have the 4th best running game and are ranked 28th at yards per play against it's pretty obvious where this choice and this off season will go.

If that logic were true then no one would draft Running Backs in the first round...

Also, as pointed out, you don't have to be a WR to help out in the passing game.

& god forbid, but if Ronnie gets hurt again (especially early in the year), I don't want 33 y/o Ricky to have to carry the load again for the rest of the season... I think it was obvious he was more comfortable as a back-up, and I think he made it obvious he doesn't like getting the grunt of the carries.. also they only let Lex Carry the ball 23 times ALL year... I don't think the coaching staff trust's him that much..

Our running game may be "fine" this year, but why not go for special? We also still don't know about Ronnie's contract situation.. whether we resign him, let him walk, or move him, etc. So I don't think it's crazy at this point to speculate about drafting a RB at 12, especially if he is the BPA.

If we end up signing a veteran LB or Wr in the off season (D'Qwell Jackson, Antonio Bryant), and Spiller falls to us at 12, he may very well be the pick.

Don't be shocked.

One more thing, I know there's alot of excitement about Chad Henne... and I'd love to see what he can do with talent at WideOut too, but Ideally I don't think they want him throwing over 25 times a game. I think if you follow the money it's clear that this team is being built to be a Ball Control, Run first, control the tempo type team.

....one more thing, Rolondo McClain/ Brandon Spikes aint no Patrick Willis....

chucknduckking
01-05-2010, 08:33 PM
CJ Spiller = this years Chris Johnson

I would love for him to come down and pair up with Ronnie.

MadDog 88
01-05-2010, 08:34 PM
If that logic were true then no one would draft Running Backs in the first round...

Also, as pointed out, you don't have to be a WR to help out in the passing game.

& god forbid, but if Ronnie gets hurt again (especially early in the year), I don't want 33 y/o Ricky to have to carry the load again for the rest of the season... I think it was obvious he was more comfortable as a back-up, and I think he made it obvious he doesn't like getting the grunt of the carries.. also they only let Lex Carry the ball 23 times ALL year... I don't think the coaching staff trust's him that much..

Our running game may be "fine" this year, but why not go for special? We also still don't know about Ronnie's contract situation.. whether we resign him, let him walk, or move him, etc. So I don't think it's crazy at this point to speculate about drafting a RB at 12, especially if he is the BPA.

If we end up signing a veteran LB or Wr in the off season (D'Qwell Jackson, Antonio Bryant), and Spiller falls to us at 12, he may very well be the pick.

Don't be shocked.

One more thing, I know there's alot of excitement about Chad Henne... and I'd love to see what he can do with talent at WideOut too, but Ideally I don't think they want him throwing over 25 times a game. I think if you follow the money it's clear that this team is being built to be a Ball Control, Run first, control the tempo type team.

....one more thing, Rolondo McClain/ Brandon Spikes aint no Patrick Willis....
We are not talking about anybody. We're talking about Parcells. He has never and will never draft an RB in the first round.

I don't see Ronnie coming back. I think they let him test his RFA or hopefully trade him. Cobbs is young and will be back, Hilliard played fine in his back up roll to Ricky and Sheets has promise. You can compliment that with a late round choice.

The OL does alot for the running game. Look at the Broncos and why for years they excelled at taking late round picks and making them into solid backs.

Why go for special when you have fine over needing decent when you have mediocre?

And yes you're right. Patrick Willis is a beast.

72champagne
01-05-2010, 08:36 PM
thanks for the info. i can skip espn tonight.

rob19
01-05-2010, 08:46 PM
We are not talking about anybody. We're talking about Parcells. He has never and will never draft an RB in the first round.

I don't see Ronnie coming back. I think they let him test his RFA or hopefully trade him. Cobbs is young and will be back, Hilliard played fine in his back up roll to Ricky and Sheets has promise. You can compliment that with a late round choice.

The OL does alot for the running game. Look at the Broncos and why for years they excelled at taking late round picks and making them into solid backs.

Why go for special when you have fine over needing decent when you have mediocre?

Never say never. Parcells would probably never draft a project QB in round 2, either.

You "hope" we go into the season with Ricky, Lex, Cobbs? I don't. Ricky would probably retire on our ***** if they told him he was the #1 going into the season, I really think he would... Lex, Sheets, Cobbs, all 3rd stringers at best ideally.

Broncos only won the Superbowl when they got T.D. Broncos just drafted a RB in round 1. T.D. was a talented back, not just the product of a system.

Just saying, with a whole offseason ahead of us, don't count it out.

Dajesus
01-05-2010, 08:54 PM

Parcells has taken RBs in the first round. In 1985 he took George Adams with the 19th pick. In 1990 he took Ronnie Hampton with the 24th pick. In 1998 he surrendered his 1st and 3rd round draft choices to bring Martin to the Jets.

That being said I agree with you. Parcels and the loves to pick defense and mainly LBs and DEs. When I researched that about the RBs the majority of his first round choices were DE or LB. He also coined the phrase, "globe theroy" saying there are not many athletic 300lb men on this planet, so when you get chance to grab one don't miss it. He loves to take defense, and loves to win with defense, and our defense was awful this season. You people can imagine were taking Spiller or Dez, but the smart money has Parcels and Sparano going defense early and often. It is hard to assume names right now. Some of these guys could still get injured in their last NCAA game. Some could run a awful 40 in Indy, and other could bomb the wonderlic test. Based on Bryant's charicter he could rape a tranvestite hooker then feed it to pigs. You just never know. My money if I was forced to bet would be on Cody or Spears. If Berry or McClain slip or we move up they would be smart guesses as well.

MadDog 88
01-05-2010, 08:57 PM
Never say never. Parcells would probably never draft a project QB in round 2, either.

You "hope" we go into the season with Ricky, Lex, Cobbs? I don't. Ricky would probably retire on our ***** if they told him he was the #1 going into the season, I really think he would... Lex, Sheets, Cobbs, all 3rd stringers at best ideally.

Bronco's only won the Superbowl when they got T.D. Bronco's just drafted a RB in round 1. T.D. was a talented back, not just the product of a system.

Just saying, with a whole offseason ahead of us, don't count it out.
Normally I never say never and you got me on Pat White.

The Broncos drafted an RB one this year but it's a different regime. Recall they got TD in the 6th and then after he got hurt the back up (can't remember his name) excelled then when he went down the 3rd stringer (Mike Anderson) picked up where they left off. For years they could take cast offs and late round picks and make them productive which is all you need at that spot. Chris Johnson is special and I would never turn him down, I just wouldn't draft, nor do I belive Parcells will, a luxory pick when there are other critical needs.

But then I think about Pat White.........................:ponder:

MadDog 88
01-05-2010, 09:01 PM
Parcells has taken RBs in the first round. In 1985 he took George Adams with the 19th pick. In 1990 he took Ronnie Hampton with the 24th pick. In 1998 he surrendered his 1st and 3rd round draft choices to bring Martin to the Jets.
You got me on Adams and Hampton but he didn't draft Martin. He signed him as a RFA.

I think that is a little known fact about Parcells. Nice work.

bigmiamifan
01-05-2010, 09:22 PM
Seeing spiller kill the canes, I would gladly take him. That boy can play and run.

Yessir
01-05-2010, 09:26 PM
I would not be opposed to such a pick at all. CJ Spiller is the next Chris Johnson...

Fresh
01-05-2010, 09:43 PM
Adding 10 carries per game more important than a go-to #1 WR on a team loaded with 2's and 3's? Death to the bleach report. They've still got Dez Bryant on the board! I like C.J. Spiller, but that's an absolute joke. If Bryant and McClain are both gone, THEN I'd consider Spiller along with guys like Spikes and Kindle.

CaSh
01-05-2010, 09:56 PM

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

Since when was Chad Pennington not a solid quarterback? You think that because Henne came in a won 7 games that he's our QB and the wildcat is no more? That statement is so ridiculous, I swear you made it up. Henne isn't even guaranteed to be starting next year. No way Sparano said that.

The Wildcat isn't going anywhere. We definitely didn't reduce the Wildcat while Ronnie was healthy, therefore, it isn't just going to be taken out.

Desides
01-05-2010, 10:33 PM
If he's as advertised, you don't think that will help the passing game?

No, because we already have a full stable of RBs who can catch. Ronnie, Ricky, and Cobbs are all excellent receivers. Hilliard had a big receiving game when he actually got on the field. Even Polite has demonstrated that he can catch the ball.

We need two new starting receivers and a #1 TE, not yet another option out of the backfield. Henne's YPA needs to go up. This happens by throwing forward, not side to side.

Don't get me wrong: going forward, the RB position will become a bigger need as Ricky prepares for retirement and Ronnie recovers from injury. But it's not a bigger need than FS, WR, ILB, TE, OLB, or NT. Not with the depth we've accumulated at the position over the last two years. We can sign or draft a running back in 2011... presuming there isn't a labor lockout.

Dajesus
01-06-2010, 12:33 AM
You got me on Adams and Hampton but he didn't draft Martin. He signed him as a RFA.

I think that is a little known fact about Parcells. Nice work.

I thanked your post because you were corrected, and said bravo instead of being defensive. Well played sir.

I did imply that he signed him when he restricted by saying he surrendered a 1st and 3rd round pick to "bring" Martin to the Jets.

I love watching fans over react to chances of taking a guy like Spiller two days after the regular season ended. We could sign Wilfork to fill our hole at NT, a solid FS, and a very good ILB before Apirl, and if Spiller dropped to us we could jump all over him, and Dolphin nation would be so excited at the prospect of haveing 3 guys that all could be starters at RB. Or Spiller could run 4.6 40, and find out he arthritis and no one will want him. My point is relax, as we have no idea what our needs will be in the draft, and untill our coaching staff, GM, and President, get a chance to evaluate these prospects we have no idea who we want or don't want.

I do know one thing(you can ask my wife it is only one thing) I have the utmost respect for our front office and making the right choices on draft day. They have so many starters from the past two drafts, the majority of the guys they took made the team. That is a very welcome change from misappropriation of draft picks we had to endure when Wanny, Saban, and Cam were in charge. I have so much confidence in them drafting that even if they took Dez Bryant, who I have said a 100 times I do not want, I would be ok with pick because I know they know a lot more than us, and if he put to rest all of their concerns it would be good enough for me.

Scikotics
01-06-2010, 12:42 AM
If Parcells wants to draft Spiller in the 1st, he probably will couple that with a marquee O-Lineman or two. With Ronnie, Ricky, and C.J. you might as well just run the ball 50 times a game.

CalDolFan10x14
01-06-2010, 01:53 AM
The chances of us using our first pick on a RB are about the same as Ted Ginn catching EVERY ball that's thrown within a foot of him for a complete 60 minutes.

TurkishFin99
01-06-2010, 01:54 AM
I'm pretty sure I would need a new TV if we went after Spiller. No offense to the kid, he seems to be a playmaker, but we have a lot of pressing needs on the defensive side of the ball. The only weakness I see on the offense is WR, which at this point would be a luxury IMO. We need to get a little more speed on the defensive side of the ball. Maybe McClain (Bama) or Spikes (UF). If not LB then I want Earl Thomas (Texas), seeing that Berry will be gone before we can say his name.

etsudolfan
01-06-2010, 02:28 AM
Spiller at #12 would be tremendous value...much like Crabtree slipping to the 49ers last year

ColonelJ
01-06-2010, 03:39 AM
So if Spiller falls to 12, then teams might decide to trade with us to get him?

That would be a good thing for the Dolphins.

RockyMtnPhinfan
01-06-2010, 09:55 AM
Dude hes not just a return guy. He will be a premier running back and this best in this years draft hands down..

The guy is just REALLY small.........and really fast. Reminds me of someone we already have on the team, his initials are TG.
I know Desean Jackson is the other side of the argument.....and he IS amazing so i can see your point. You would just think they want a sure thing instead of a risk when paying that much dough.

FinSolari
01-06-2010, 12:57 PM
The chances of us using our first pick on a RB are about the same as Ted Ginn catching EVERY ball that's thrown within a foot of him for a complete 60 minutes.

You just never know. Ronnie can be traded or maybe he won't be 100% ever, especially with that type of foot injury. In addition, Ricky is entering his final season and all of a sudden we are left with no special running backs. Don't be surprised at all if we pick Spiller in the first. Personally, I would be estactic with either Mcclain/Spikes, Dez Bryant, or CJ Spiller.

Dajesus
01-07-2010, 12:56 AM
Scouts INC has CJ with a draft grade of a 95, and that would make give him the highest grade of any non o-lineman offensive player. Just about every other website I have seen have Suh or Berry as the best player in the draft, then Spiller has been 3rd or 4th. How would it be bad if we were able to get the best offensive player in a draft while picking at #12? That would be quite a steal. Keep in mind these grades mean nothing, as many websites have players rated higher than 90 before they really get evaluated at the SR bowl, combine, and pro days, when it usualy drops to 2-3 players above a 90.

Keep in mind I would be upset if they grab anyone on offense if they do not have a serious plan to fix our needs at LB and FS(probably NT as well,) but we could have those players locked down before the draft, as FA starts in March. We could also decide to grab Marshall and draft Spiller, and just go the route of Indy, and hope our offense is so good it won't matter how bad our defense is. Not to mention we have Ricky for one more season, and Ronnie is probably one more season ending injury from it being a career ending injury, so if we have a shot to fix that a year early it might not be bad.

All that being said if McClain drops to 12 and we pass him for anyone in this draft(outside of Berry) my TV will probably be broken.

PALMA
01-07-2010, 01:06 AM
C.J. Spiller thinks endzone every time he touches the ball. I can think of no greater playmaker to add to the offense this offseason than him. If he's there you take him, even over Dez Bryant.

BARF
01-07-2010, 01:29 AM
i think they have hopes that sheets become that player with 20 touches a game 10 rushes and 10 recepts

WaxOn WaxOff
01-07-2010, 02:03 AM

Spiller averaged 6 yards per carry from the RB slot for his career with a suspect OL. He is hardly just a 'return guy'. Yes, he does hold the all-time NCAA record for KO returns for TD, but don't hold that against him. While Ginn looks for the sideline on returns, Spiller looks for the endzone.

OrlandoFin
01-07-2010, 08:06 AM
The guy is just REALLY small.........and really fast. Reminds me of someone we already have on the team, his initials are TG.
I know Desean Jackson is the other side of the argument.....and he IS amazing so i can see your point. You would just think they want a sure thing instead of a risk when paying that much dough.

My personal feelings is Spiller is as much of a sure thing in the draft as there is. He is 5'11", and around 200 lbs, runs a 4.3 or better. That sounds a lot like a guy who plays for a team in the NFL that likes to run the ball a lot and just rushed for 2006 yards this year and had another 503 yards in receiving.

Or how about the guy that just won offensive rookie of the year that is 5'11, 190 lbs. That lines up in the slot, backfield, wildcat, returns kicks. I am not saying draft Spiller, but I love this guys play making ability. I have watched him for 4 years and this guy might be small but he is tough as nails and has world class speed. Like Johnson, Harvin and Jackson he is a football player no matter his size, and like those guys he has the intangible of speed which can not be taught, and is something Miami is missing on both sides of the ball.

Just like I said last year Harvin was the best playmaker in the draft and you find somewhere to get him on the field and he will produce. Spiller is the same way. He has scored a TD in every game this year and done it by rushing, catching, and returns. If they don't pick him and chose to go defense of Bryant I am fine with that, but I guarantee he is on their radar and he is head and shoulders the football player White is and they took him at #44 last year. Spiller will bring instant offense to ANY team that drafts him.

Breed
01-07-2010, 09:25 AM
No, because we already have a full stable of RBs who can catch. Ronnie, Ricky, and Cobbs are all excellent receivers. Hilliard had a big receiving game when he actually got on the field. Even Polite has demonstrated that he can catch the ball.

Spiller's skillset is a combination of Marshall Faulk and Chris Johnson, he would be a considerable upgrade in the passing game. Having a RB that is capable of having a 700+ yards receiving in any given year will help any receiving core.

Think back to the 1999 Rams, having Isaac Bruce and Tory Holt made them a very good passing offense, but it was Marshall Faulk that made that offense great.

We need two new starting receivers and a #1 TE,

I strongly disagree that we need two new starting wide receivers. Brian Hartline played only 50-70% of the snaps this season and still managed over 500 yards receiving and 3 receiving touchdowns (+1 rushing TD). Hartline may never be that 1,500 yard/15 TD WR everyone wants, but there's no reason he can't be a very good #2 WR for a long time to come. For someone that's 6'2, he's got better quickness and speed than your typical "possession WR" and he can also get yards after the catch. Hartline is a keeper at WR.

I think we have our long-term #3 as well. Bess is one of the better slot receivers in the NFL.

As for needing a "#1 WR", completely agree. However, if Spiller is the BPA, we better pick him or trade down.

not yet another option out of the backfield. Henne's YPA needs to go up. This happens by throwing forward, not side to side.

Not true. A RB averaging 10 yards per reception catching 80% of the passes coming his way will help a quarterback's YPA (not to mention completion %) more than a WR averaging 13 yards per reception catching 60% of the passes coming his way.

Don't get me wrong: going forward, the RB position will become a bigger need as Ricky prepares for retirement and Ronnie recovers from injury. But it's not a bigger need than FS, WR, ILB, TE, OLB, or NT. Not with the depth we've accumulated at the position over the last two years. We can sign or draft a running back in 2011... presuming there isn't a labor lockout.

Where would the Titans be if they passed up Chris Johnson because they had bigger "needs". There were a lot of critics that hated the Chris Johnson pick, because Vince Young "needed a WR".

Breed
01-07-2010, 09:27 AM

That's funny, last year I would've said "the chances of us picking a gimmick QB in the 2nd round is 0%".

Pinkboy
01-07-2010, 09:36 AM
Spiller's skillset is a combination of Marshall Faulk and Chris Johnson, he would be a considerable upgrade in the passing game. Having a RB that is capable of having a 700+ yards receiving in any given year will help any receiving core.

Think back to the 1999 Rams, having Isaac Bruce and Tory Holt made them a very good passing offense, but it was Marshall Faulk that made that offense great.

I strongly disagree that we need two new starting wide receivers. Brian Hartline played only 50-70% of the snaps this season and still managed over 500 yards receiving and 3 receiving touchdowns (+1 rushing TD). Hartline may never be that 1,500 yard/15 TD WR everyone wants, but there's no reason he can't be a very good #2 WR for a long time to come. For someone that's 6'2, he's got better quickness and speed than your typical "possession WR" and he can also get yards after the catch. Hartline is a keeper at WR.

I think we have our long-term #3 as well. Bess is one of the better slot receivers in the NFL.

As for needing a "#1 WR", completely agree. However, if Spiller is the BPA, we better pick him or trade down.

Not true. A RB averaging 10 yards per reception catching 80% of the passes coming his way will help a quarterback's YPA (not to mention completion %) more than a WR averaging 13 yards per reception catching 60% of the passes coming his way.

Where would the Titans be if they passed up Chris Johnson because they had bigger "needs". There were a lot of critics that hated the Chris Johnson pick, because Vince Young "needed a WR".

agree on all counts.

greasyObnoxious
01-07-2010, 09:52 AM

i didn't know the chances of Ginn catching every pass thrown at him for 60 full minutes were that good.

mfish41
01-07-2010, 03:35 PM
the success of players like chris johnson and harvin this year are going to make spiller a hot commodity. If he's there at twelve i wouldn't be upset if they took him, but i think the most feasible thing would be to try to bait a team into trading picks for him. It's really a crapshoot to try and figure out if spiller is a "parcells" guy. Who would of thought he would want to draft a player like pat white or even terry glenn a decade ago. Just remember he produced for 4 years in college so he bit as a pup which is one of the many requirements for parcells. Whatever happens i trust they'll do the right thing with their 1st pick, Jake Long and Vontae Davis can vouch for that.