PDA

View Full Version : Dez Bryant? Yes Or No?

MichaelXC
01-06-2010, 07:45 PM
as we all know the dolphins are in need of a big time WR, a guy that make plays, who's more prefect for the job than Dez Bryant,i know many people talk about getting Boldin but the Dolphins aren't going to pay the money for him, and the Dolphins have some what of a chance to get Bryant.am i Right?

MadDog 88
01-06-2010, 07:48 PM
No. We need immeditate impact and have a higher priority on the defensive side. Rolando McClain or Eric Berry, though we would have to trade up for that.

MichaelXC
01-06-2010, 07:51 PM
NO. the only thing that the dolphins need to get the them in to the playoffs is a good WR

miami71
01-06-2010, 07:54 PM
Maybe! If McClain and Spiller are gone!

3rdandinches
01-06-2010, 07:56 PM
No, I bet Denver takes him ahead of us after trading B.Marshall. Which possibly means R.McClain drops to us, thank you.

MadDog 88
01-06-2010, 07:56 PM
Maybe! If McClain and Spiller are gone!
Then it's Dan Williams. The middle of the defense needs to be fixed or we'll make no progress next season. NT, ILB, FS have to be the priority.

ghostface95
01-06-2010, 07:59 PM
No doubt that defense is a priority but I'm thinking that McClain will not escape the top 8 picks in the 1st; therefore other options at ILB are still available.

McClain is a sure fire immediate impact type of player but I've been reading more and more on FH lately about other posters questioning his hustle during actual gameplay and that is a concern for me albeit a minor one but still.

I'm not off the McClain bandwagon personally but let's get real here it's a very slim to none chance he'll still be available for our pick.

So if that were to occur then my other 2 options at drafting an ILB are either Micah Johnson or Joe Pawelek. Both IMHO seem to be immediate impact type of players as well minus the prestige of being "a 1st round draft pick" so that means either one would come at a cheaper option decreasing any possible holdouts in TC.

Lastly, if both Bryant and McClain are still on the board for our pick in the 1st I'd go crazy from the confusion of whom to pick.

MichaelXC
01-06-2010, 07:59 PM
Well u are intitled to ur opinoin

miami71
01-06-2010, 08:00 PM
Then it's Dan Williams. The middle of the defense needs to be fixed or we'll make no progress next season. NT, ILB, FS have to be the priority.
I hope we trade up a few spots if we have to for McClain!

outlawd2u
01-06-2010, 08:01 PM

Solai actually played really well at NT this season. If WR isn't as big of a need because of the decent WR's we already have then NT isn't that big of a need because of Solai. If Bryant is there at #12, and Spiller, and McClain are both gone then it would almost be considered a reach to take anyone except Dez at that point. This is all IMO of course

MichaelXC
y mcclain?

napsndreds
Yes...best WR in the draft...id take he or mcclain...

Akronfinfan36
01-06-2010, 08:03 PM
Yes, I'd like to have him.

No, we won't draft him because he won't be available, and even if he were, we wouldn't take him.

miami71
01-06-2010, 08:09 PM
y mcclain?
I think McClain is the best player in the draft, except for Spiller! Bryant would be my third option as I think he will be a beast at wr. Spiller is unreal and the best offensive weapon in the draft!

MadDog 88
01-06-2010, 08:13 PM
Solai actually played really well at NT this season. If WR isn't as big of a need because of the decent WR's we already have then NT isn't that big of a need because of Solai. If Bryant is there at #12, and Spiller, and McClain are both gone then it would almost be considered a reach to take anyone except Dez at that point. This is all IMO of course
He played allright but there was an obvious decline ofter Fergie went out. IMO Soliai will remain a backup.

outlawd2u
01-06-2010, 08:21 PM
He played allright but there was an obvious decline ofter Fergie went out. IMO Soliai will remain a backup.

I disagree, but even if you are right the argument could definitely be made that all of our wr's currently on the team are backups.

Marley7
01-06-2010, 08:39 PM
YES!!! Honestly, how could you not want this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G6M1hOHIkE&feature=related

#1dolphinsfan
01-06-2010, 08:45 PM
Easy if he is there when we pick easly yes

outlawd2u
01-06-2010, 08:47 PM
YES!!! Honestly, how could you not want this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G6M1hOHIkE&feature=related

Dez is just a beast of a WR. He can do it all, he gets open a lot and he's the type of player that even when he's not open he is open. His best attribute may be how he adjusts to the ball and with his hands and jumping ability it's a lethal combination.

G-Force
01-06-2010, 08:53 PM
I think we need a ILB as much as a WR. I like Clemmons as a FS for us and let Gibril and Bell battle for SS. Our inside run D sucks at ILB. If McClain is there we need him IMO. Remember our O scored over 25+ a game with Henne starting and no Ronnie or wildcat. Our D couldn't hold up. If McClain is gone I say NT/WR/OLB at no particular order.

G-Force
01-06-2010, 08:58 PM
I am also interested in seeing what Patrick Turner can do in year 2. You all should know that Bill and co. will be pushing him to the limit for year 2 after being picked so high and not producing in year 1. They will teach and push him to the max this offseason.

j-off-her-doll
01-06-2010, 09:20 PM
Taking McClain over Bryant would be idiotic on an uber-epic level.

Bryant = star

McClain = good

Take the star, stupid.

houtz
01-06-2010, 09:23 PM

Bryant = star

McClain = good

Take the star, stupid.

I'd recommend watching more Alabama football games.

BassFin
01-06-2010, 09:46 PM
Yes, we need a receiver, but no I wouldn't draft Bryant with the 12th pick.

Three things scare me: 1). He's missed most of the season 2.) The WR position is the riskiest to pick in the draft and 3). He's not a great route runner.

Here's a list all 1st round receivers drafted from 2000-2008: Peter Warrick, Travis Taylor, Sylvester Morris, R.Jay Soward, David Terrell, Koren Robinson, Rod Gardner, Freddie Mitchell, Reggie Wayne, Donte Stallworth, Ashlie Lelie, Javon Walker, Charles Rogers, Andre Johnson, Bryant Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Roy Williams, Reggie Williams, Lee Evans, Michael Clayton, Michael Jenkins, Rashaun Woods, Braylon Edwards, Troy Williamson, Mike Williams, Matt Jones, Mark Clayton, Roddy White, Santonio Holmes, Calvin Johnson, Ted Ginn, Dwayne Bowe, Robert Meachem, Graig Davis and Anthony Gonzalez

Out of the 35, there are 6 or 7 that I would consider better than average to great, 6 or 7 I would call average and the rest are Garbage. And if you go even farther back that 2000 it only gets uglier.

When you are a team that's "thisclose" to being a legit Super Bowl contender, you take a chance on someone like Bryant.

They need help at NT, ILB, S and OLB. It looks like they will be able to get a stud at one of those positions with the 12th pick. Stick to getting an established WR in FA and draft one in rounds 2-5 to groom with the others.

DolfanDuBbZ~
01-06-2010, 09:53 PM
After watching Macklin, Crabtree and Bryant here in the BIG12. I'd be absolutely thrilled to get Bryant. A 6'2" young athletic physical WR is exactly what MIA needs along with needs on the DEF. BUT the offense will remain avg at best with no playmakers on the corner.
The price tag for Boldin and Marshal are gonna be abit too high. If Bryant is gone, go w/ the best ILB or S on the board.

DolfanDuBbZ~
01-06-2010, 09:55 PM

Three things scare me: 1). He's missed most of the season 2.) The WR position is the riskiest to pick in the draft and 3). He's not a great route runner.

Here's a list all 1st round receivers drafted from 2000-2008: Peter Warrick, Travis Taylor, Sylvester Morris, R.Jay Soward, David Terrell, Koren Robinson, Rod Gardner, Freddie Mitchell, Reggie Wayne, Donte Stallworth, Ashlie Lelie, Javon Walker, Charles Rogers, Andre Johnson, Bryant Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Roy Williams, Reggie Williams, Lee Evans, Michael Clayton, Michael Jenkins, Rashaun Woods, Braylon Edwards, Troy Williamson, Mike Williams, Matt Jones, Mark Clayton, Roddy White, Santonio Holmes, Calvin Johnson, Ted Ginn, Dwayne Bowe, Robert Meachem, Graig Davis and Anthony Gonzalez

Out of the 35, there are 6 or 7 that I would consider better than average to great, 6 or 7 I would call average and the rest are Garbage. And if you go even farther back that 2000 it only gets uglier.

When you are a team that's "thisclose" to being a legit Super Bowl contender, you take a chance on someone like Bryant.

They need help at NT, ILB, S and OLB. It looks like they will be able to get a stud at one of those positions with the 12th pick. Stick to getting an established WR in FA and draft one in rounds 2-5 to groom with the others.

How's MIA going to get their Fitz, if the don't take a chance. I don't think ARZ was "this close" when selecting Fitz.

ChadHenne
01-06-2010, 09:55 PM

So your using past history of all WR's to base what Dez Bryant is capable of in the NFL?

Sounds like a lame excuse, and I can easily guess you have never watched Bryant play, rather you are scouting him based off of 1 or 2 scouting reports you read from unreliable sources on the web.

Seriously, that's like saying Peyton Manning shouldn't have been drafted by the Colts in 98 because of the Colts past failures at drafting good QB's (after Unitas). That's like saying the Lions should've past on Calvin Johnson because previous regimes sucked at drafting WR's in the past.

Again, lame excuse is lame. If Dez Bryant is at #12, you take him.

BassFin
01-06-2010, 10:20 PM
How's MIA going to get their Fitz, if the don't take a chance. I don't think ARZ was "this close" when selecting Fitz.

No, Arizona wasn't "this close" but Fitzgerald also wasn't suspended by the NCAA and missed most of his last year in college.

I'm not saying Dez isn't a great player. I'm not even saying he's not going to be. But the fact is, history does not speak well to his situation. Rashaun Woods was the last really good WR from Oklahoma State. Put up great numbers in college. I thought he was gonna be good....he's out of the NFL. Mike Williams of USC was dominant in college, put up huge numbers, missed a full season of football, out of the NFL.

I want a WR in the worst way for the Fins. But I think a guy who will take less time to transition to the NFL at a need position would be a safer choice than Bryant.

I don't think it will matter on draft day. He will be gone by the 12th pick anyway.

Astrosback
01-06-2010, 10:35 PM
No, Arizona wasn't "this close" but Fitzgerald also wasn't suspended by the NCAA and missed most of his last year in college.

I'm not saying Dez isn't a great player. I'm not even saying he's not going to be. But the fact is, history does not speak well to his situation. Rashaun Woods was the last really good WR from Oklahoma State. Put up great numbers in college. I thought he was gonna be good....he's out of the NFL. Mike Williams of USC was dominant in college, put up huge numbers, missed a full season of football, out of the NFL.

I want a WR in the worst way for the Fins. But I think a guy who will take less time to transition to the NFL at a need position would be a safer choice than Bryant.

I don't think it will matter on draft day. He will be gone by the 12th pick anyway.

I'm not sure it's fair to discount Dez b/c of his college or his NCAA ineligibility. Florida WRs had a history of sucking but that didn't seem to bother Percy Harvin this year.

And USC's Mike Williams was a slow plodder to begin with - whether he sat for a year or not. Dez has more speed and did play the first 3 games of this season.

I have Dez Bryant slightly ahead of Spiller and both of them ahead of Rolando McClain, Joe Hayden and Earl Thomas (the defensive rookies I'd draft at 1.12). I'd rather fill holes on D in FA and draft some playmakers!

Avigatorx
01-06-2010, 10:38 PM
So your using past history of all WR's to base what Dez Bryant is capable of in the NFL?

Sounds like a lame excuse, and I can easily guess you have never watched Bryant play, rather you are scouting him based off of 1 or 2 scouting reports you read from unreliable sources on the web.

Seriously, that's like saying Peyton Manning shouldn't have been drafted by the Colts in 98 because of the Colts past failures at drafting good QB's (after Unitas). That's like saying the Lions should've past on Calvin Johnson because previous regimes sucked at drafting WR's in the past.

Again, lame excuse is lame. If Dez Bryant is at #12, you take him.

I'm pretty sure he gave two other reasons as well: Missed nearly a full year of eligibility and that he didnt look like a great route runner.

I think BOTH of those are just as valid, if not moreso.

Bryant had 1 fantastic year on paper last year. Thats it.

On top of it, his stats are inflated playing in a conference that doesnt care about defense.

Frankly, looking at that video highlight link, I was wondering how he was covered so well. Yes, he made some AMAZING catches, great hands, and he is a fighter, all things we need in a WR. I'm concerned about his speed and route running as well (not to mention experience.)

In the NFL he isnt gonna be the man playing against boys, he is gonna be a boy playing against men.

I think he wil take time to develop, as would any WR in this draft (which IMO is a weeak WR draft.)

We need to grab a FA WR or trade for one. For once we need to open the checkbook, and I think we will.

First round we need to go ILB or NT, possibly even RB if Spiller is available.

Pass on Bryant unless he drops to us in the second round.

PALMA
01-06-2010, 10:47 PM
They are going to look long and hard at Dez Bryant. He's got Vontae Davis athleticism but of course, Bryant has a receiver's body.

I wanted Nicks last year in the baddest way and want Bryant this year. If he's there you take him and use the rest of your draft on defense.

BassFin
01-06-2010, 10:53 PM
I'm not sure it's fair to discount Dez b/c of his college or his NCAA ineligibility. Florida WRs had a history of sucking but that didn't seem to bother Percy Harvin this year.

And USC's Mike Williams was a slow plodder to begin with - whether he sat for a year or not. Dez has more speed and did play the first 3 games of this season.

I have Dez Bryant slightly ahead of Spiller and both of them ahead of Rolando McClain, Joe Hayden and Earl Thomas (the defensive rookies I'd draft at 1.12). I'd rather fill holes on D in FA and draft some playmakers!

I think missing extended playing time for a WR hurts more than most other positions, so I do take that into consideration for Dez. I also think he got too harsh a punishment from the NCAA and I don't question his character for what happened. He was a young guy who was scared of screwing up his future.

My point with Woods was that I really thought the guy was gonna be good, but he bombed and he just so happened to be a OSU Cowboy. Scares me a little. And Williams I thought would at least be converted to TE but he was just garbage.

I'll admit, I didn't watch Bryants game's (only saw great highlights) since I'm an ACC fan. I wish the NCAA hadn't been so harsh because I love to watch these kinda guys in Bowl games to see how they perform under the spotlight.

I do like Spillar and wouldn't mind the Fins drafting him. He has that Harvin-like aura about him.

Last thing on Bryant. If the Fins did draft him I would be cheering just as loud for him as any of you guys. If he's a Fin, I'm a fan. Never meant to make him out not to be a great player. I'd just temper my expectations a bit in the beginning.

PALMA
01-06-2010, 10:58 PM
Yeah, Spiller and Bryant are the only true legitimate playmakers worth taking at 12. Take a chance at offensive greatness, we won't be finding it in free-agency.

MichaelXC
01-06-2010, 11:14 PM
yes! look for play maker in FA is a worthliss cause, the dolphins are gona have to spend some cash if they hope to make the playoffs next year but it will be worth it.

Astrosback
01-06-2010, 11:18 PM
I'm pretty sure he gave two other reasons as well: Missed nearly a full year of eligibility and that he didnt look like a great route runner.

I think BOTH of those are just as valid, if not moreso.

Bryant had 1 fantastic year on paper last year. Thats it.

On top of it, his stats are inflated playing in a conference that doesnt care about defense.

Frankly, looking at that video highlight link, I was wondering how he was covered so well. Yes, he made some AMAZING catches, great hands, and he is a fighter, all things we need in a WR. I'm concerned about his speed and route running as well (not to mention experience.)

In the NFL he isnt gonna be the man playing against boys, he is gonna be a boy playing against men.

I think he wil take time to develop, as would any WR in this draft (which IMO is a weeak WR draft.)

We need to grab a FA WR or trade for one. For once we need to open the checkbook, and I think we will.

First round we need to go ILB or NT, possibly even RB if Spiller is available.

Pass on Bryant unless he drops to us in the second round.

The FA WRs like Malcolm Floyd are not really WR1s. The WR1s who will be available (Marhsall and Austin) will cost our 1st and 3rd round picks. That's too much.

The only cheap WR1 who will be available will actually be TO but he's getting very old now.

Boldin will also cost too much and I think our window to acquire him has closed as he is also getting too old now.

Nah...I think we need to use 1.12 to solve our WR1 (or Weapon1) need. WR1 would/could be Dez Bryant. "Weapon1" would be Spiller.

If either Spiller or Dez are there, we gotta take them.

dahlmarino
01-06-2010, 11:31 PM

Bryant = star

McClain = good

Take the star, stupid.

I'd go as far as to say...

McClain=Ray Lewis.
Bryant=TO.

Makes it a little tougher, doesn't it?

MichaelXC
01-06-2010, 11:38 PM
ya but wat do we need more a WR

General Tso
01-07-2010, 12:47 AM
Take this to the bank: Dez Bryant will be on the board at #12 and Miami will not select him.

How do I know this? Because every single year the player I really want Miami to get in Rd 1 is there when we pick and we pass him by. Bryant's my guy for the 2010 draft, thus he'll be there and we won't take him. Hopefully it'll turn out for the best (e.g. Jake over Chris Long - thank you BP/JI).

I'm still hurt by the 2005 draft. Aaron Rodgers was right there for the taking after SF foolishly passed on the hometown niners fan from Cal. Saban might have stayed, no 2nd rounder wasted on Culpepper & Beck & White, nor needed for Henne. No Cam-Mueller era or Ted Ginn flop. O what could've been...

hooshoops
01-07-2010, 12:51 AM
I'd go as far as to say...

McClain=Ray Lewis.
Bryant=TO.

Makes it a little tougher, doesn't it?

mcclain isn't as physical as ray lewis

i'd love to have a ray lewis but i don't think mcclain is that guy...but he's a damn good lb

Arsenal WV
01-07-2010, 01:35 AM
If we do go Dez in the 1st

I want Norwood in the 2nd

dahlmarino
01-07-2010, 01:42 AM
ya but wat do we need more a WR

If Dez is there, take him. I'm just saying McClain isn't anything to scoff at, either, and he could be a special player as well. I am truly happy with either because I feel that either one upgrades a position of need with a serious playmaker.

And I wouldn't necessarily say we need a WR more than an ILB. I'm getting really sick our weakass LB play just as much as the dropped passes.

dahlmarino
01-07-2010, 01:45 AM
If we do go Dez in the 1st

I want Norwood in the 2nd

I like Norwood as an ILB. I'd like him even more if we had someone to pair him with who has a little more experience manning the middle. Maybe we find someone in FA, maybe someone like Micah Johnson falls to us in the 3rd. I don't expect anyone to learn a whole lot of good habits from Crowder and Ayodele at this point.

BARF
01-07-2010, 01:54 AM
like stone cold use to say ah hell yeah, but only if mcclain is off the board, because mcclain we could also use as de with his size

BARF
01-07-2010, 01:55 AM
i think the whole bp does not draft a wr this high, is going to be a smoke screen

ColonelJ
01-07-2010, 02:10 AM
It all depends on free agency and who we sign. I think we can sign a WR or two and then we would not need to draft a WR. It would certainly be a better option for the Phins considering the defensive needs as well.
In any case, I don't think Dez Bryant will last to #12. There are too many teams ahead of Miami who need a WR.

AccordOn13z
01-07-2010, 02:51 AM
Yes we draft him and Yes he will be available!

houtz
01-07-2010, 02:56 AM
Yes I'd draft him but we wont unless he amazes Ireland and Parcells.

If McClain is gone I see Miami trading back and picking up a few more draft picks. Most likely taking Williams, Spikes or Hughes. Adding another 2nd and possibly a 3rd rounder would be great.

#1dolphinsfan
01-07-2010, 03:14 AM

Bryant = star

McClain = good

Take the star, stupid.
IMO they will both be Stud NFL players but seeing how this draft is so loaded at defense it would be stupid to pass on Bryant Plus is is a lot easier to find a Stud ILB then it is to find a true #1 WR

#1dolphinsfan
01-07-2010, 03:15 AM
They are going to look long and hard at Dez Bryant. He's got Vontae Davis athleticism but of course, Bryant has a receiver's body.

I wanted Nicks last year in the baddest way and want Bryant this year. If he's there you take him and use the rest of your draft on defense.
I agree except i would like to get at least one TE in the draft if we dont sign one through FA

ColonelJ
01-07-2010, 03:30 AM
I agree except i would like to get at least one TE in the draft if we dont sign one through FA

IMO Jimmy Graham or Derick Epps of Miami.

#1dolphinsfan
01-07-2010, 03:32 AM
IMO Jimmy Graham or Derick Epps of Miami.
i would like to get Jimmy Graham he could be a good TE

nosleep
01-07-2010, 08:46 AM
I think we can address our defense with free agency, I just don't see anyone coming in right away from the draft and making a huge impact (which is what we need) on defense, unless it's Eric Berry which is out of the question. Bryant on the other hand can come in and contribute to the offense that is in dire need of a physical number one receiver.

nosleep
01-07-2010, 08:47 AM
i would like to get Jimmy Graham he could be a good TE

Yeah I'd definitely take Graham over Epps, strictly because of his potential. Epps is topped out atm.

chrisbaucom
01-07-2010, 10:00 AM
If McClain is available in round 1 take him...and then hope that demaryius thomas is still on the board in round 2. That guy is a freak... 6'3" 229 pounds. If he declares, he would be a steal in the 2nd round.

ColonelJ
01-07-2010, 10:11 AM
I think we can address our defense with free agency, I just don't see anyone coming in right away from the draft and making a huge impact (which is what we need) on defense, unless it's Eric Berry which is out of the question. Bryant on the other hand can come in and contribute to the offense that is in dire need of a physical number one receiver.

I agree. That is the biggest question which the FO must decide. Where do we get help in free agency? For example, if they go and sign Antrel Rolle, Boldin and A. Bryant, then we do not draft Dez. And we can focus on the front 7 exclusively in this draft.

However, I just don't see them spending money this year for two reasons. One is that the Collective Bargaining Agreement problems make it risky to sign anyone long term. The second is that they spent a lot of money last year, they were the second highest paid roster, and a lot of that money was unwisely spent and they finished 7-9.

I believe they will sign a lot of cheap players, like Canadian league, and they will go to the draft to draft a WR and somme impact D players. That's the cheapest way to go.

cobbs321
01-07-2010, 12:55 PM
I live in Oklahoma and I want us to get Dez, but i've watched the game he played against Georgia and i no he had 3 td passes, but he also had numerous penalty flags and dropped passes. To me he seems like a Braylon Edwards type player, does anyone else think that

MichaelXC
01-07-2010, 04:50 PM
when i wrote this thread i didnt think it would get great replys

kwansolo
01-07-2010, 05:25 PM
I like that thought. Hopefully this would pan out. That would be a great scenario. :up:
No, I bet Denver takes him ahead of us after trading B.Marshall. Which possibly means R.McClain drops to us, thank you.