PDA

View Full Version : Spikes & Mclain fail to impress !

mmikel30
01-08-2010, 01:20 AM
All the hype around these to backers on here...wow ! you would think a top ten pick would shine in a big game. the bama o-line is impressive so is mark Ingram and j shipley but McClain looks mediocre at best against the Texas D how is he gonna look aginst the jets O-line ?

MadDog 88
01-08-2010, 01:22 AM
McClain looks mediocre at best against the Texas D He plays against the Texas offense and you must not be watching the same game. He is a stud.

#1dolphinsfan
01-08-2010, 01:23 AM
I agree i think he is going to be good but he didnt impress tonight IMO

mmikel30
01-08-2010, 01:29 AM
He plays against the Texas offense and you must not be watching the same game. He is a stud.if that's stud linebacker play were in trouble ! he had a good screen read and a tipped ball other than that ....nada!

WOPMasterG
01-08-2010, 01:32 AM
I've watched some videos on him, hes great for containment but I am not sure if I completely like him.

Spikes seemed to be a lot more productive... But we'll see. I am no talent scout.

phineffect
01-08-2010, 01:32 AM
what did he do wrong?? I dont see missed tackels..

BigJP
01-08-2010, 01:35 AM

I didnt get to watch the game and dont know much about alabama's scheme but if a MLB isnt racking up tackles somethings probably not going right.

NMPhinsFan
01-08-2010, 01:37 AM
He started the game hot but cooled down about mid-way and didn't have his name called late.

Early in the game I was ready to start a posts wanting Parcells to trade up for him. Will he be a good linebacker in the NFL? Yes. A leader on defense for whomever drafts him? He is in college so most likely. Did this game help his stock? I really don't think so and it may even drop him a couple of spots.

radicalracer34
01-08-2010, 01:38 AM
mcclain impressed me a lot. he looked great. not sure what you were watching but he was involved in almost every play.

Xeticus
01-08-2010, 01:41 AM
To me he was always around the ball. Always paying attention and making smart moves. He definitely looks better against the pass than our current linebackers. And the commentators kept raving about how smart he is. After a season of Teddy Ginn I want more smart players on the team.

#1dolphinsfan
01-08-2010, 01:43 AM
To me he was always around the ball. Always paying attention and making smart moves. He definitely looks better against the pass than our current linebackers. And the commentators kept raving about how smart he is. After a season of Teddy Ginn I want more smart players on the team.
Smarts have nothing to do with Ted Ginn's hands

hooshoops
01-08-2010, 01:46 AM
the guy made more plays TONIGHT than channing crowder has made in his career it seems...lol

but he didn't impress???

#1dolphinsfan
01-08-2010, 01:48 AM
the guy made more plays TONIGHT than channing crowder has made in his career it seems...lol

but he didn't impress???
really you are going to go off of what channing crowder has done in his career and still argue that he didnt impress because he played better then crowder would have? my mom could play better then crowder and that doesnt mean she is going to be a good NFL player

hooshoops
01-08-2010, 01:50 AM
really you are going to go off of what channing crowder has done in his career and still argue that he didnt impress because he played better then crowder would have? my mom could play better then crowder and that doesnt mean she is going to be a good NFL player

meh...you're boring me

mcclain is a heck of a player and he's 6 ft 4 and 258 lbs

think about that for a little while...and mcclain has EXCELLENT instincts

TurkishFin99
01-08-2010, 01:57 AM
I think we need to take what we saw tonight with a grain of salt. Texas had a looong time to prepare and gameplan for Alabama and its playmakers on defense. I'm sure players on the Texas O were keying in on him the whole night. I don't think I saw a pass thrown at Arenas all night with the exception of when Shipley adjusted his route right as Arenas was turning his hips. I did see McClain bust up a few run plays and a WR screen. On top of that, he's got the last name of the main character from Die Hard. That has to count for something.

canesandbhoys
01-08-2010, 02:05 AM
meh...you're boring me

*died*

MadDog 88
01-08-2010, 03:12 AM
if that's stud linebacker play were in trouble ! he had a good screen read and a tipped ball other than that ....nada!

Have you seen the pressure he is getting and the coverage he is providing? There's a lot more to being a LB then sacks and tackles. Texas is staying away from him as best they can.

AdamC13
01-08-2010, 03:18 AM
The heart of the defense that just allowed 2.9 yards per rush, 4.6 yards per pass attempt and created 5 turnovers. He made plays behind the line of scrimmage, pressured the QB and I didn't see him miss a tackle.

Yeah, you're right...dude sucks! :m359:

DolfanDuBbZ~
01-08-2010, 03:27 AM
The heart of the defense that just allowed 2.9 yards per rush, 4.6 yards per pass attempt and created 5 turnovers. He made plays behind the line of scrimmage, pressured the QB and I didn't see him miss a tackle.

Yeah, you're right...dude sucks! :m359:

Sorry, but those stats w/ no McCoy mean little.

MichaelXC
01-08-2010, 03:29 AM
say no to mcclain tonight he was lacking speed hes to slow

AdamC13
01-08-2010, 03:38 AM

They mean a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!

Not sure what your logic is...2.6 yards per rush, 4.6 yards per pass and 5 turnovers in a National Championship game means little? Okay...:crazy:

Do you know Mclain has been sick this week (stomach virus) and missed practice as well for the first time in his college career?

DolfanDuBbZ~
01-08-2010, 04:32 AM
They mean a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!

Not sure what your logic is...2.6 yards per rush, 4.6 yards per pass and 5 turnovers in a National Championship game means little? Okay...:crazy:

Do you know Mclain has been sick this week (stomach virus) and missed practice as well for the first time in his college career?

What was the score of the game when McCoy went out? And that freshman came in and looked like the Freshman who took Bradfords spot. Scared.

Yes it does mean NAT. Champ. Good Job. Doesn't take away from the fact a freshman took over when TEX was up 6-0.

Maybe you don't watch Texas football, but Shipley and McCoy would have eaten that secondary up. Oh well...you can hang your hat and stats on a freshman qb who turned the ball over.:thanks:

kud
01-08-2010, 04:36 AM
Dez Bryant.

TedSlimmJr
01-08-2010, 05:11 AM
Is it really a surprise that a lot of people around here couldn't tell a football player from a garden gnome? :lol:

They're still making up **** for Ted Ginn for petes sake...

McClain was a stud in this game....I guarantee you he had more tackles, TFL's, tipped passes, and "splash" plays on defense than any player in this game...on either team....and as soon I get a chance to review it....I believe the stats will confirm it...

As for Gilbert....if Mack Brown had gotten this kid in some games during some of those blowouts along the way instead of trying to inflate McCoy's Heisman stats...then maybe he would've been a little better prepared....

finfan54
01-08-2010, 06:20 AM
I have watched Mcclain some. I think at first he was not impressive, but what I notice is he has what others on this team currently do not. And that is not overcommitting to plays.

He stays his ground and covers the middle! Wes Welker would hate to have Mcclain at Miami.

I have changed my mind. I want the kid. Find a hidden gem OLB/DE type in the 2nd. WR 3rd.

MiamiDolfan85
01-08-2010, 07:21 AM
All the hype around these to backers on here...wow ! you would think a top ten pick would shine in a big game. the bama o-line is impressive so is mark Ingram and j shipley but McClain looks mediocre at best against the Texas D how is he gonna look aginst the jets O-line ?
what game were you watching?

I saw McClain do things NO ONE on our roster could do.I saw him drop back in coverage,and sniff out the short pass,and he ended it for a 2-3 yard gain.Then,I saw him read the Qbs eyes,and almost intercept a ball,had he not been hit while doing it.Then another time he met the Newman in the backfield in LESS that 3 seconds from the snap.We dont have anyone that can do the things he can do.

arsenal
01-08-2010, 08:36 AM

umm how is that Mcclain's fault if McCoy isn't in the game, did you expect Mcclain to say "well Colt is out, I might as well stop playing"?

Mcclain was awesome to me last night, i want him more than ever on the Dolphins now... but i actually watched the game, not just looked at the box score so maybe that's the difference :confused:

3rdandinches
01-08-2010, 09:03 AM
McClain sucks, he didn`t have 50 tackles, 10 interceptions and 5 forced fumbles, why waste a draft pick on him!!!

And that was without McCoy which has to be held against an ILB, so I`ll pass on him. Give me some other LB that had 1 good game that I can hang my hat on!!!!!!!

This board is awesome at times, the best post was the one where the guy says "I was going to post we need to trade up for this guy, then he changed his mind in the second half" Why not go play by play deciding if you think he's good enough!

You may not have to worry about selecting him because some other team maybe smart enough to grab him first, McClain will be a great player in someones 34 defense for along time, I just hope it's ours!

NYinBostonFin
01-08-2010, 09:22 AM
McCLain isn't dropping to us anyway IMO. I hope he does, but I dont think he will. Maybe if he doesn't impress at the combine.

bigchub22
01-08-2010, 09:47 AM
What was the score of the game when McCoy went out? And that freshman came in and looked like the Freshman who took Bradfords spot. Scared.

Yes it does mean NAT. Champ. Good Job. Doesn't take away from the fact a freshman took over when TEX was up 6-0.

Maybe you don't watch Texas football, but Shipley and McCoy would have eaten that secondary up. Oh well...you can hang your hat and stats on a freshman qb who turned the ball over.:thanks:

Just like the sports radio guys here said this morning- people are gonna pull the mcoy card and its hard not to BUT unless McCoy was gonna catch his own passes it wouldn't mattter much, sure shipley was still gonna get his but the rest of the recievers were awful and Bama had 2 backs over 100 yards the game would have been roughly the same outcome

3rdandinches
01-08-2010, 09:53 AM
Just like the sports radio guys here said this morning- people are gonna pull the mcoy card and its hard not to BUT unless McCoy was gonna catch his own passes it wouldn't mattter much, sure shipley was still gonna get his but the rest of the recievers were awful and Bama had 2 backs over 100 yards the game would have been roughly the same outcome

Plus it was very smart of Saban to go conservative knowing the #1 defense could rattle a true freshman. We all saw Saban go for a fake punt on the first series, in other words he was willing to open it up to win this game. So when McCoy goes down you don't let the Texas defense beat you by forcing mistakes, especially when the rook look like a dear in the headlights early on!

Smart coaching!

Although a fake punt with 23 yards to go on your on 20 sounds like the next ST'S coach for us, lol!!!!!

josekareh
01-08-2010, 10:10 AM
After reading a bunch of posts here, I tend to think that they'll be much better than Crowder, Torbor, Ayodele just to name a few

rev kev
01-08-2010, 10:50 AM

Oh yah exaclty dead on the money about McClain... and are you also the guy sounding off that Cam Wake doesn't get pressure on the QB? :rolleyes2:

zachblitz54
01-08-2010, 10:50 AM
If we go defense, give me Terrence "Mount" Cody.

RockyMtnPhinfan
01-08-2010, 11:07 AM
I was watching it too and i was trying to compare him to Patrick Willis. To be honest, Patrick Willis he is not. I say take Mount Cody with that first pick, or Dan Williams. If he looks even the least bit slow in college that will be amplified in the pros.
I say 12 is too high for him to be taken.

Breed
01-08-2010, 11:17 AM

I agree. When I heard all the hype about McClain, I expected him to be Patrick Willis like, and he's not even close. McClain has great instincts, and no doubt he's very smart. But if it were me, if I have the 12th pick in the draft, I want more than instincts/size. I want range too, and McClain doesn't provide that. He's either really, really slow, or he's got a poor motor, maybe both.

I pray some team selects him before the 12th pick.

Ed Norton
01-08-2010, 11:20 AM
Not only do I like McClain but this is the biggest need for the Dolphins right now. What sucks is the odds of him going before 12 are pretty good. At least if he holds up in the Senoir bowl, has a good combine, doesn't get arrested, test positive for anything etc. A lot will happen between now and April but so far I think McClain is a front runner in the draft.

MP-Omnis
01-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Stop making draft threads in the freaking Fins forum. That's what the draft forum is for.

Breed
01-08-2010, 11:23 AM
I'm hoping that sickness is the reason he looked slow, because if it isn't, then he looks to have 4.8-4.9 (40 time) speed to me.

JAcK o D1AmonDs
01-08-2010, 11:25 AM
If we go defense, give me Terrence "Mount" Cody.

This, that dude is literally a mountain. I'm a hardcore Texas fan and i saw some good things out of the kid Garrett but i think game is different with McCoy in and either Texas wins or the game is a lot closer. Also i wouldn't mind Shipley is a later round to replace Ginn for KR/PR and a better reciever hands down., maybe not number one but i think Miami may address that in FA.

houtz
01-08-2010, 11:26 AM
McCLain isn't dropping to us anyway IMO. I hope he does, but I dont think he will. Maybe if he doesn't impress at the combine.

This says it all. He could've played like Crowder last night and he'd still be a sure top 10 pick.

Just hope and pray for Bryant.

Breed
01-08-2010, 11:35 AM
This says it all. He could've played like Crowder last night and he'd still be a sure top 10 pick.

Just hope and pray for Bryant.

MLB may be a bigger need than a #1 WR, but Dez Bryant is clearly the better talent. If Bryant isn't there at #12, I'm hoping we trade down.

kwansolo
01-08-2010, 11:54 AM
Are you referring to last nights game against Texas? I looked at him alot last night. I'm not sure what you saw that was impressive. He did play solid but i wouldn't say impressive.

:ponder:

mcclain impressed me a lot. he looked great. not sure what you were watching but he was involved in almost every play.

ckparrothead
01-08-2010, 11:56 AM
I completely agree with the sentiment that Rolando McClain was invisible against the Texas D last night. ;)

Ro had an axcellent first half, as did a lot of Bamans as they smelled serious blood in the water with Colt McCoy going out and Garrett Gilbert coming in. Everyone knew the Texas coaches didn't trust Gilbert a lick, and so Bama was in full attack mode. They tried to keep that up in the second half but made key mistakes and Ro also cooled down, didn't have as great a second half.

I don't agree with the notion that he looked bad. He looked pretty damned good actually.

Is it #12 pick good? I don't know yet. I've stuck up for Brandon Spikes a lot because I feel a lot of folks are unfairly dismissing him, but I have said over and over that I have not decided which player is the better LB prospect overall, though Spikes is the better fit for Miami's defense.

The reasons for my indecision, despite my praise of Spikes, are that Ro has the following in his favor, ranked by how much weight I put on the advantage:

1. Straight line speed
2. Length
3. Film study
4. Durability
5. Emotional control
6. Strength

Players don't get faster in the NFL, generally speaking. That's why it's the #1 advantage to me that Ro has over Spikes...because no matter what, he'll probably always have that advantage...and the NFL is very much about speed. Length, too. Because he's taller, because he has longer arms, he'll dominate passing lanes a little more than Spikes and that's important. The film study is an extremely important factor right now and on game day, the only reason it doesn't rank higher is because players regularly do develop better, sometimes MUCH better film study habits in the NFL...which translate to their instincts, grasp of the defense and grasp of the opponent's offense, on the field. Right now, there's no doubt Ro is better with it. Durability is important and Ro has that advantage because Spikes has missed a game or two last year, and fought nagging injuries this year. It's not much of an advantage, but it's an advantage. When it comes to emotional control, I rank that low because the emotion that Spikes plays with leads to him having better hustle and better physicality, however among the two Spikes is the only guy that consistently loses control of himself on the field in a detrimental way. Hence the eye gouging. And against LSU a year ago, he returns an interception for a TD but then kicks the ball into the stands getting his team a penalty. That stuff may not happen at all at the next level, but it also might. As for strength, Spikes is incredibly strong...but McClain is stronger, which is saying something. The reason I rank it lowest is, players get stronger in the NFL. Happens all the time. One guy looks stronger now, by the time the NFL is done with the two of them, it could be switched. Have seen that happen all the time.

Overall, though I rate Takeo's cousin as more apt for Miami's defense, I'm starting to lean toward McClain as the better overall LB prospect...but the margin is not high. Spikes is as productive as McClain, as impactful as him (or more, in some areas), without having been coached up as strongly as Ro...and so you absolutely wonder if Spikes has the higher ceiling once he learns how to truly study film and translate it on the field, gets even stronger than he is, and gets into a defense that has better supporting players.

I really like Rolando McClain, and last night was a good example why he's a very good player. But it needs to be noted that this guy is not a Patrick Willis. He plays in a system that supports him extremely well, and he doesn't turn and run very well.

kwansolo
01-08-2010, 11:57 AM
His speed looked real slow last night. I'm starting to lean towards Spikes after watching Mclain against Texas. I just like MLB that has Range and Mclain didnt show that last night. He is going to have a good combine now and we shall see. I love this time of year.

I'm hoping that sickness is the reason he looked slow, because if it isn't, then he looks to have 4.8-4.9 (40 time) speed to me.

Breed
01-08-2010, 12:05 PM
His speed looked real slow last night. I'm starting to lean towards Spikes after watching Mclain against Texas. I just like MLB that has Range and Mclain didnt show that last night. He is going to have a good combine now and we shall see. I love this time of year.

You're right. When it comes to runs up the middle, I don't think anyone is better at the collegiate level than McClain. But if it's a toss outside, forget about it.

AdamC13
01-08-2010, 12:07 PM

The score when McCoy went out was 0-0. Yes, Gilbert looked like a dear in headlights. I do watch Texas football. McCoy to Shipley is has been one of the best if not the best combination in college football the past couple of years. I was rooting for Texas and was disappointed when he went out.

Having said that McClain is still a stud. I truly don't understand your logic. The argument was you were saying McClain did not impress. I responded with stats to show he and the Alabama defense played well. Your response is it didn't matter b/c it was a freshman QB and McCoy to Shipley would have eaten up the CBs. Do you understand that Mclain plays ILB and would not be covering Shipley? What exactly is your point?

Saban calls McClain the smartest player he has ever coached. The guy puts in around 3 hours of film study a day. Won the Butkus award. Is 6'4", 258 and runs a 4.6. What exactly is not to like about this kid? Will be a pro bowler if stays healthy.

Breed
01-08-2010, 12:07 PM
I'm really curious to see how McClain times in the 40, 3 cone and shuttle drills.

Namor
01-08-2010, 12:13 PM
I'm really curious to see how McClain times in the 40, 3 cone and shuttle drills.

He's been running 4.6 's at Bama.
We'll see come combine...He is only 20...still can add weight...
6'4 250 now.
Do some of you even watch the games or just read the stats and flap that lip?

Yamilo
01-08-2010, 12:19 PM
All i saw was McClain disrupting plays in the backfield, shooting gaps well and even batting down passes. Yep, not impressive at all.... /sarcasm off

Breed
01-08-2010, 12:24 PM
6'4 250 now.

I never even looked at the box score.

Tell me, do you honestly think he runs a 4.6 going by what you watched last night?

mmikel30
01-08-2010, 12:25 PM
I agree. When I heard all the hype about McClain, I expected him to be Patrick Willis like, and he's not even close. McClain has great instincts, and no doubt he's very smart. But if it were me, if I have the 12th pick in the draft, I want more than instincts/size. I want range too, and McClain doesn't provide that. He's either really, really slow, or he's got a poor motor, maybe both.

I pray some team selects him before the 12th pick.exactly you want a play-maker someone who can change the game. maybe i need to see more but after everyone here daunts him the next hall of fame can't miss player...I just don't see nothing more than a defensive-end end playing linebacker. and Terrence cody is soft too.

Breed
01-08-2010, 12:25 PM
All i saw was McClain disrupting plays in the backfield, shooting gaps well and even batting down passes. Yep, not impressive at all.... /sarcasm off

Nobody is saying he lacks instincts, just that he doesn't appear to have sideline to sideline speed.

PerfectFinz72
01-08-2010, 12:26 PM
Whether he looked great or not last night means NOTHING when talking about his NFL status. If you based a players ability to play in the NFL on one game performances in college...then all the wrong players would be in the NFL.

dolfans34
01-08-2010, 12:35 PM
I thought Sergio Kindle (OLB) had a better game than McClain last night. Showed a lot of instinct and able to somewhat hold the edge against Bama's running game.

Xeticus
01-08-2010, 12:52 PM
Smarts have nothing to do with Ted Ginn's hands
No but it has a lot to do with his route running and poor decision making. Like the fact that often doesn't seem to know where the first down marker is. That's on top of his mediocre hands.

Back to McClain. He seems to be smart, tough, a real leader and very bright. This is a kid who could be a real leader on our defense for years. And he already plays 3-4 defense. I really want him on our team. If I could I'd draft McClain with our first, Mt Cody with our second and Eryck Anders with our third. Our defense would be instantly better. Not going to happen but a guy can dream.

kwansolo
01-08-2010, 01:17 PM
It's not about 1 game. It's really about what he was able to do against top competition and it gets no bigger than the game last night. His overall proformance is really good. Maybe the Texas backs were really that fast. That is just a thought. :d-day:

Whether he looked great or not last night means NOTHING when talking about his NFL status. If you based a players ability to play in the NFL on one game performances in college...then all the wrong players would be in the NFL.

Dr. Phin
01-08-2010, 01:34 PM
I agree. McClain is a slug. And Spikes...he makes some big plays, but I also saw him get run over by a QB this year too.

Personally, I would rather have Angerer from Iowa...and we can get him in the 3rd possibly.

Dr. Phin
01-08-2010, 01:37 PM

Did you see his pursuit? He is SLOW...he would be another ILB that can't cover a WR and we would have to watch him chasing TE's down the field like we have all year. We need someone FAST!!!

Dr. Phin
01-08-2010, 01:40 PM

Exactly!! They were playing a team with no passing game and little or no running game.

That being said, because of that...this game was not really a fair test of McClain; however, I have watched him in a number of games this year...and I am still not impressed.

Dr. Phin
01-08-2010, 01:49 PM

Yep, because that is the drawback I see...he doesn't appear to have ANY speed. He looks like a slug. His instincts tend to make up for it because he goes to the right spot...I'm not sure that would be enough in the NFL.

Dr. Phin
01-08-2010, 01:50 PM
6'4 250 now.

Who's reading stats? I'm looking at what I am seeing on the field and he looks slow!!!

Namor
01-08-2010, 01:54 PM
I never even looked at the box score.

Tell me, do you honestly think he runs a 4.6 going by what you watched last night?

I've watched him live at practice...so hell yes.

Namor
01-08-2010, 01:55 PM
Boys...don't mistake fluid for slow.

hooshoops
01-08-2010, 01:55 PM

i agree with that also...this guy has wheels for as big as he is...

Breed
01-08-2010, 02:05 PM

Just curious, how does he look chasing down sweeps/tosses to the half back? I really want to like McClain, he has everything you could ask for in a linebacker, I just haven't seen the athleticism. I hope I'm wrong and he was playing at less than 100%.

Namor
01-08-2010, 02:22 PM
Just curious, how does he look chasing down sweeps/tosses to the half back? I really want to like McClain, he has everything you could ask for in a linebacker, I just haven't seen the athleticism. I hope I'm wrong and he was playing at less than 100%.

McClain is the total package...
He has only been playing organized football for about 6 years.
What I think people are mistaken for slow is his fluid natural ability
to be in the right place.
You should see this kid direct traffic at field level,and Saban runs a
very complicated defense.
I'm trying to look at this without being a Bama fanboy.

rev kev
01-08-2010, 04:32 PM
I completely agree with the sentiment that Rolando McClain was invisible against the Texas D last night. ;)

Ro had an axcellent first half, as did a lot of Bamans as they smelled serious blood in the water with Colt McCoy going out and Garrett Gilbert coming in. Everyone knew the Texas coaches didn't trust Gilbert a lick, and so Bama was in full attack mode. They tried to keep that up in the second half but made key mistakes and Ro also cooled down, didn't have as great a second half.

I don't agree with the notion that he looked bad. He looked pretty damned good actually.

Is it #12 pick good? I don't know yet. I've stuck up for Brandon Spikes a lot because I feel a lot of folks are unfairly dismissing him, but I have said over and over that I have not decided which player is the better LB prospect overall, though Spikes is the better fit for Miami's defense.

The reasons for my indecision, despite my praise of Spikes, are that Ro has the following in his favor, ranked by how much weight I put on the advantage:

1. Straight line speed
2. Length
3. Film study
4. Durability
5. Emotional control
6. Strength

Players don't get faster in the NFL, generally speaking. That's why it's the #1 advantage to me that Ro has over Spikes...because no matter what, he'll probably always have that advantage...and the NFL is very much about speed. Length, too. Because he's taller, because he has longer arms, he'll dominate passing lanes a little more than Spikes and that's important. The film study is an extremely important factor right now and on game day, the only reason it doesn't rank higher is because players regularly do develop better, sometimes MUCH better film study habits in the NFL...which translate to their instincts, grasp of the defense and grasp of the opponent's offense, on the field. Right now, there's no doubt Ro is better with it. Durability is important and Ro has that advantage because Spikes has missed a game or two last year, and fought nagging injuries this year. It's not much of an advantage, but it's an advantage. When it comes to emotional control, I rank that low because the emotion that Spikes plays with leads to him having better hustle and better physicality, however among the two Spikes is the only guy that consistently loses control of himself on the field in a detrimental way. Hence the eye gouging. And against LSU a year ago, he returns an interception for a TD but then kicks the ball into the stands getting his team a penalty. That stuff may not happen at all at the next level, but it also might. As for strength, Spikes is incredibly strong...but McClain is stronger, which is saying something. The reason I rank it lowest is, players get stronger in the NFL. Happens all the time. One guy looks stronger now, by the time the NFL is done with the two of them, it could be switched. Have seen that happen all the time.

Overall, though I rate Takeo's cousin as more apt for Miami's defense, I'm starting to lean toward McClain as the better overall LB prospect...but the margin is not high. Spikes is as productive as McClain, as impactful as him (or more, in some areas), without having been coached up as strongly as Ro...and so you absolutely wonder if Spikes has the higher ceiling once he learns how to truly study film and translate it on the field, gets even stronger than he is, and gets into a defense that has better supporting players.

I really like Rolando McClain, and last night was a good example why he's a very good player. But it needs to be noted that this guy is not a Patrick Willis. He plays in a system that supports him extremely well, and he doesn't turn and run very well.

He is not PW (we whiffed on him) but Ro was directing traffic and that was sensataional - and calling out where the ball was going - his hands never stopped directing traffic during the play - awesome stuff - his instincts were great - similar to Zach Thomas in that sense..

RockyMtnPhinfan
01-08-2010, 05:13 PM
McClain is the total package...
He has only been playing organized football for about 6 years.
What I think people are mistaken for slow is his fluid natural ability
to be in the right place.
You should see this kid direct traffic at field level,and Saban runs a
very complicated defense.
I'm trying to look at this without being a Bama fanboy.

Ummmmmm no you aren't, i've read your posts.

Namor
01-08-2010, 05:14 PM
Ummmmmm no you aren't, i've read your posts.

Then give me his negatives.

ZachThomas76
01-08-2010, 05:23 PM

but he didn't impress???

lol, you read my mind Hoops. read my mind. well Sergio Kindle had more sacks than Channing will probably have after 10 years in the NFL. btw, this talk of Taylor Mays at 12 better be crap. Mays needs to do what Roy Williams should have done. Put on another 15-20 lbs and play linebacker in the NFL, ala Thomas Davis.

radicalracer34
01-08-2010, 05:28 PM
Are you referring to last nights game against Texas? I looked at him alot last night. I'm not sure what you saw that was impressive. He did play solid but i wouldn't say impressive.

:ponder:

well they showed a thing before the game that impressed me a lot. how he is the qb of the defense and changes the play as soon as they offense brings motion and things like this. also he read that screen very good and was in on alot of tackles. yes it wasnt his best game but he was really good at the beginning of the game and i really think this kid will be the real deal. i also love sergio kindle and jerry hughes

kwansolo
01-08-2010, 06:01 PM
well they showed a thing before the game that impressed me a lot. how he is the qb of the defense and changes the play as soon as they offense brings motion and things like this. also he read that screen very good and was in on alot of tackles. yes it wasnt his best game but he was really good at the beginning of the game and i really think this kid will be the real deal. i also love sergio kindle and jerry hughes

Don't get me wrong I feel Mclain is the Defensive leader for Alabama and He showed really good skills on the field this season. He did everything a linebacker is suppose to do. There just wasn't any WOW factor in it for me. When you look at a stud linebacker in a big game you expect some great plays to make you say he's going to be a star. I'm not going to say he's not going to be a star. I'm just saying I was expecting a little more. Like Sergio Kindle played last night. he had a good night if you ask me.

mmikel30
01-08-2010, 06:29 PM
Then give me his negatives.the guy is a good player but is slow as fudge . this is why i hate the 3-4 because you have to use a short fat guy in the middle and essentially defensive ends as line- backers , so now you have defensive ends trying to chase down running back tight-ends

finfan54
01-08-2010, 09:45 PM

Here is peoples problem right here....nothing personal.

So much is about there speed and drills and yadda yadda yadda.

HE IS A FOOTBALL PLAYER!

Football is a mental game in a 1000 ways. What is your mental state when going into a big game? Well, the dude just plays cool and stays his ground and covers his area.

Mcclain is his mentally sound. He is big for an ILB. He stays home and does not overcommit to some stupid *** blitz (although he is definitely capable of it) that takes him out of the play.

That is what we need. Someone who just knows what the hell he is doing regardless of how it looks. Cus to me, I was first unimpressed. But if you think about it, teams probably run away from him.

radicalracer34
01-08-2010, 09:56 PM
Don't get me wrong I feel Mclain is the Defensive leader for Alabama and He showed really good skills on the field this season. He did everything a linebacker is suppose to do. There just wasn't any WOW factor in it for me. When you look at a stud linebacker in a big game you expect some great plays to make you say he's going to be a star. I'm not going to say he's not going to be a star. I'm just saying I was expecting a little more. Like Sergio Kindle played last night. he had a good night if you ask me.

yeah i see where you are comming from. i really don't think it matter because the broncos will get him at 10

uga3406
01-08-2010, 10:11 PM
McClain looked fine to me it was that Marcel Dareus that impreesed me along w/ Cody...

Flip Tanneflop
01-08-2010, 11:08 PM

If you dont think McClain was anything other than outstanding that whole game vs. Texas last night, just as he was all season, youre ****ing lost. Simple as that.

mmikel30
01-08-2010, 11:29 PM
If you dont think McClain was anything other than outstanding that whole game vs. Texas last night, just as he was all season, youre ****ing lost. Simple as that.He bated down a ball an made a nice tackle but other than that he disappeared and your ****ing blind if you couldn't see that. Simple as that!

SRM
01-09-2010, 01:18 AM
He bated down a ball an made a nice tackle but other than that he disappeared and your ****ing blind if you couldn't see that. Simple as that!

Seriously? I have a hard time recalling times where I didn't see him in on tackles or in the area where the ball was.

2413fanphins
01-09-2010, 11:05 AM
Seriously? I have a hard time recalling times where I didn't see him in on tackles or in the area where the ball was.

and in the back field or stopping the runner at the line of scrimmage.

Namor
01-09-2010, 02:36 PM
He bated down a ball an made a nice tackle but other than that he disappeared and your ****ing blind if you couldn't see that. Simple as that!

HHHHHAAAAAHHHHHAAAAAHHHH.
Gator fan

al711
01-09-2010, 03:44 PM
I think he will a be stud for years to come...just like dameco ryans with the texans...can we draft a feffin football player for once...that zach thomas guy would never have been drafted by some of you guys(too little too slow)...we need smart big football players,not emo hot heads running aound after every play fake trying to poke fools eyes out while wondering what tat to get next...

jlfin
01-09-2010, 03:45 PM
I have watched Mcclain some. I think at first he was not impressive, but what I notice is he has what others on this team currently do not. And that is not overcommitting to plays.

He stays his ground and covers the middle! Wes Welker would hate to have Mcclain at Miami.

I have changed my mind. I want the kid. Find a hidden gem OLB/DE type in the 2nd. WR 3rd.

He's a better prospect than Demeco Ryans, Clay Matthews and Jerod Mayo were coming out of college.
He's the player our FO should be targeting. This defense needs a QB a la ZT or John Offerdahl and he fits the bill