PDA

View Full Version : weak wr draft class?

Kyndig
01-08-2010, 11:41 AM
Is it just me, or does the WR class look kind of weak in this draft?

I was trying to see who the trifecta might draft in the first or more likely second round and I couldn't come up with very many who would be an explosive number 1 with elite size/speed/hands.

-Damien Williams from USC - He' probably the one receiver that I could see us taking in the first round. But, he'd have to be taken with our first pick, and he may not even be there when we pick, and even if he is, will Parcells/Ireland take a WR that high? I hope they would consider it, but history makes this seem a long shot. Let's not forget Terry Glenn was taken really by Bob Kraft against the protestations of Parcells who didn't want to take him.

-Dez Bryant - Good size, average speed, but questionable head. Was suspended. If we were going to take him, we'd have to take him first and I don't know that he is enticing enough to make Parcells/Ireland take him over a good NT/LB prospect. I'm not crazy about this guy.

-Brandon Lefell, LSU. He's 6'3, but isn't considered particularly fast. Might be an interesting prospect if he's available in the second.

-Golden Tate from Notre Dame - Looks a bit on the small side. We really need a receiver with both size and speed. Not sure Golden Tate would be an upgrade over anyone on our existing receiver corps.

-The rest of the guys look to be either too slow, or have suspect hands, or be incredibly unpolished.

All in all, it doesn't look like a particularly deep position this year. Or am I missing something? What do you guys think?

Pinkboy
01-08-2010, 11:45 AM
It's well known that next year's WR class will be better than this year's

This is a relatively weak WR class.

Nawledge
01-08-2010, 11:54 AM
its funny because some people around here have been saying this years draft is stacked with receivers

Breed
01-08-2010, 11:56 AM

I was trying to see who the trifecta might draft in the first or more likely second round and I couldn't come up with very many who would be an explosive number 1 with elite size/speed/hands.

-Damien Williams from USC - He' probably the one receiver that I could see us taking in the first round. But, he'd have to be taken with our first pick, and he may not even be there when we pick, and even if he is, will Parcells/Ireland take a WR that high? I hope they would consider it, but history makes this seem a long shot. Let's not forget Terry Glenn was taken really by Bob Kraft against the protestations of Parcells who didn't want to take him.

I like Williams, but not at #12, that's way too high.

-Dez Bryant - Good size, average speed, but questionable head. Was suspended. If we were going to take him, we'd have to take him first and I don't know that he is enticing enough to make Parcells/Ireland take him over a good NT/LB prospect. I'm not crazy about this guy.

He's probably a bit overrated by some, but he's still an excellent prospect. He won't run a 4.3 or anything, but he's still got good speed for his size. Bottom line, he's an impact player.

--Brandon Lefell, LSU. He's 6'3, but isn't considered particularly fast. Might be an interesting prospect if he's available in the second.

Meh...

-Golden Tate from Notre Dame - Looks a bit on the small side. We really need a receiver with both size and speed. Not sure Golden Tate would be an upgrade over anyone on our existing receiver corps.

I like Golden Tate more than a lot of people. I don't view the gap between Bryant and Tate all that big. I'm not sure Tate has the change of direction that Bryant has, but he plays bigger than he is. Very good speed, and he's very good after the catch (former RB).

As for size in a WR, that's incredibly overrated, especially post 2004.

Being tall is great and all, but only if you have good quickness/change of direction. How's Patrick Turner working out?

Breed
01-08-2010, 11:57 AM
its funny because some people around here have been saying this years draft is stacked with receivers

Not with #1 receivers, but there are plenty of 2's and 3's out there.

Elliott 1
01-08-2010, 12:02 PM
Horrible draft class and the guys rated at the top are hugely overrated.

Reminds me of the OT class a few years ago when AZ chose Levi Brown over Adrian Peterson.

A lot of people don't realize that talent just isn't automatic in every years draft.

Do you remember all the people on this site who wanted the Dolphins to draft Levi Brown to play left tackle????? He was hugely overrated because there just wasn't any OT talent that year.

Now, Levi Brown is one of the worst starting RT's in the league. If the Cardinals had any depth at all he would have been benched and later cut.

No,NO,NO to drafting overrated WR's the first day.

ColonelJ
01-08-2010, 12:10 PM
Man, If you think the top WRs are weak, then what would you say about the bottom of the order?

fiftyofhaze
01-08-2010, 12:15 PM
The 2 wrs I'm highest on are benn and gilyard and u don't list either. Maybe the talent is there just the research is off??? Things to look for that will transpire to NFL positively are 50/50 balls and the recievers drive for the ball. Play making ability and vision after the catch.

U can't base it off receptions tds or route running. Cause most college DBS are not manning up in NFL. College teams throw alot more and their routes are mostly botched plays and scrambling.

Do some research before posting new threads.

chrisbaucom
01-08-2010, 12:17 PM
Demaryius Thomas. Georgia Tech. 6'3" 229 pounds. 4.5 40 yard dash. Guy is good.

Tunaphish429
01-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Its really too early to tell..

The combine shows us alot about players..

Elliott 1
01-08-2010, 12:22 PM
Man, If you think the top WRs are weak, then what would you say about the bottom of the order?

I'd say Terrell Hudgins(the new record holder of almost every NCAA Div. 1 receiving record) would be a steal with a 6th round pick.:hump:

dolphan98
01-08-2010, 01:13 PM
If the Dolphins can manage to trade down 5 or 6 spots and grab some extra picks, I would not mind drafting Dez Bryant at all. I think he's going to be a very good receiver if he is drafted into the right situation. I think he would excel in Miami.

Wadeshow
01-08-2010, 01:13 PM
Lets go with not drafting another USC Wr. When was the last time you saw a good Wr from USC? Keyshawn Johnson? they are all big, slow and unrealiable.

I would love us to take Benn in the 2nd round.

thejetssuck
01-08-2010, 01:20 PM
If the Dolphins can manage to trade down 5 or 6 spots and grab some extra picks, I would not mind drafting Dez Bryant at all. I think he's going to be a very good receiver if he is drafted into the right situation. I think he would excel in Miami.

Dream on dude!! :crazy: We'd be lucky as hell to land him at 12!! There aint NO WAY he falls to the 17- 18 spot.

Breed
01-08-2010, 01:23 PM
Lets go with not drafting another USC Wr. When was the last time you saw a good Wr from USC? Keyshawn Johnson? they are all big, slow and unrealiable.

I would love us to take Benn in the 2nd round.

Steve Smith

Dr. Phin
01-08-2010, 01:31 PM
Why did you even have Williams on the list? Just because he is from USC. He isn't very good IMO.

phinfreak
01-08-2010, 01:52 PM

-Brandon Lefell, LSU. He's 6'3, but isn't considered particularly fast. Might be an interesting prospect if he's available in the second.

-The rest of the guys look to be either too slow, or have suspect hands, or be incredibly unpolished.

All in all, it doesn't look like a particularly deep position this year. Or am I missing something? What do you guys think?

Yes, your premise is wrong. This regime will not spend a high draft pick on a WR. And, a rookie WR will not solve what ails this offense.

This regime needs to find a FA WR who can impact the offense starting on the first game of the season. A rookie WR is a high risk pick, few impact in the first couple years.

Look elsewhere for the offensive firepower in the draft i.e. TE, RB, and WR in middle to later rounds.

Fins will pick D early and often.

SuperMarksBros.
01-08-2010, 01:57 PM

Actually, the combine shows us nothing about players.

40 yd dash in shorts, LOL

utahphinsfan
01-08-2010, 02:10 PM
Lets not forget....Kerry Meier (Kansas) & Detron Lewis (Tx Tech).

dhavitia
01-08-2010, 02:49 PM
That is true about the combine, it only shows a part of the potential, there are some intangibles not shown there; reason why players as A. Boldin do not show up. Since I have have been seing some speculation on Dez B I have watch some types and I can see on him the "it" factor, he can beat a defender in a different ways, using the strenght, quickness, fearless, strong mentallity; once he has the ball is hard to get him, he looks comfortable carrying the load, I am not a big fan of getting a receiver on the first round, but he is going to be a very good NFL #1 receiver, it will be great to get him trading down on an ideal draft.

ckparrothead
01-08-2010, 02:49 PM
I agree with the sentiment that this year's receiving crop, and generally the senior offensive talent, is a bit lacking.

I like Dez Bryant though. To me, he has it all.

houtz
01-08-2010, 02:54 PM
I agree with the sentiment that this year's receiving crop, and generally the senior offensive talent, is a bit lacking.

I like Dez Bryant though. To me, he has it all.

Does Parcells tho?

Come on, give us some inside information :up:

Pinkboy
01-08-2010, 02:56 PM
Actually, the combine shows us nothing about players.

40 yd dash in shorts, LOL

Exactly.

Vernon Gholston had one of the best combines ever for that position.

I said before that draft here on this board that Gholston would be one of the biggest busts of that draft. I just hated him.. He lacked so many things.

Because I judge players on what they do on the football field and not what they do in shorts.

I'm not saying the combine doesn't have it's use, but what the guy does on the field trumps all else. That's why you've seen track stars come to the NFL and flop.

Football players >>>> workout warriors

RockyMtnPhinfan
01-08-2010, 04:02 PM
Not with #1 receivers, but there are plenty of 2's and 3's out there.

WE are chock full of 2's and 3's...........this isn't what we are after IMO :crazy:

ckparrothead
01-08-2010, 04:06 PM
The Combine shows us a ton of invaluable pieces of information about these draft prospects' NFL future, for those with a discerning eye.

If it was useless they wouldn't have it every year.

I love when the laiety just assume that the NFL have no idea what they're doing.

ckparrothead
01-08-2010, 05:09 PM

I read this and I really had to disagree.

I haven't found many opportunities to calibrate his speed straight up...but I do know that when you're creating separation deep down the field from a 4.50 guy, then you probably have better than "average" speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJSsfLFTACs#at=110

He's having no trouble maintaining separation there from FS Bryan Evans, who has been timed at 4.50 in the 40 in the past.

I mean, I watch the guy and all over the place I'm thinking speed, speed, speed. But it's nice to be able to isolate instances where you find more clear proof of it.

Another good example here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJSsfLFTACs#at=280

This is a speed route. What they do here is utilize the wide hash marks and Zac Robinson's arm to stretch the spacing on that side of the field as much as possible. There is basically a disconnect between that CB/FS combo, and the help in the middle with the slot CB. With the extra space they just figure hey, our guy is faster than your guys. Give him that much room, and we're going to get him the ball underneath the safety coverage, and he will just plain outrun you to the end zone via the inside, because the slot CB is so widely spaced from the area that his speed will trump. And that's exactly what happens. He outruns Prince Miller pretty bad and Miller has been timed 4.53 in the 40. Unfortunately for Georgia, Baccari Rambo takes a bad angle on the play but I think it's irrelevant.

Most other times when I'm trying to calibrate speed, I try and isolate instances where your guy is being outpaced by another whose times have been guessed at, or instances where they're step for step. I try and find that for multiple people in order to get a feel for the neighborhood of speed that you're generally competing with on an even level or getting outcompeted by. I find that Demaryius Thomas' neighborhood keeps popping up around 4.65 to 4.70, but that Dez Bryant keeps clearly outrunning 4.50 to 4.54 speed...which means he's solidly in the 4.4 range and I don't consider that average. That's fantastic at his size.

And especially with his quickness, and cutting ability.

Breed
01-08-2010, 05:19 PM
WE are chock full of 2's and 3's...........this isn't what we are after IMO :crazy:

I don't see the downside of picking a good 2 or 3 if he can also contribute on special teams and be an upgrade there as well. Especially if you can get that 2 or 3 in the 3rd or 4th round. Of course, I'm speaking of Jordan Shipley:up:

#1dolphinsfan
01-08-2010, 05:47 PM
That's why we need Dez Bryant round 1 the defense in this draft is loaded

LordPicklewagon
01-08-2010, 06:36 PM
As long as the FO knows in what and how much stock should be put in certain results in the combine it can be an invaluable tool.

You can't get fooled by the Mike Mamula's and Dewayne Robertsons of the draft.

Even JJ made his mistakes. Remember Brad Jackson out of Cincy. The man looked like a beast until you put the pads on him

skipp2myloo13
01-09-2010, 01:32 AM
Its Dez and Tate with Benn as the potential. Its all down from there.

finfan54
01-09-2010, 10:09 AM

yeah, like who shows up and is not afraid to put there overhype on the line.

I dont put much into combine other than to measure abilities.

It really says nothing about whether they can play the game of football or not. All draft guru's go to the tape in the end.

Now, as for the ? of WR's in this draft. This draft is not weak IMO. I just think WR's get overhyped but good teams who pick late often go WR. There are many here who can be good but in the NFL, its about mentality, work-ethic, and earning your money. Something that cannot be measured before they get the $.

We should not get Dez Bryant if we see work-ethic and personality issues.

I think all WR's have weak points except the great ones obviously.

Dez Bryant- could be head case money man

Arrellius Benn- I compare him to Braylon Edwards

Brandon Tate- smaller type fighter (someone who would be nice but will not likely make it to us in 2nd)

Marty Gilyard-size matters to alot of people. I think he is a smooth player with savy and knows how to play. I think he could make it to us at our 2nd pick.

Lafell- Is he complete go to type player? He is being compared to Bowe. Well...thats not really worth a 12 pick do ya think?

There are WR's out there like Hartline who are complete no-names who have it in this league because of their mental state, not their draft state.

a1csiriaS
01-09-2010, 10:28 AM
Dream on dude!! :crazy: We'd be lucky as hell to land him at 12!! There aint NO WAY he falls to the 17- 18 spot.

are you sure about this? I mean remember Quinn? he was supposed to go in the top 5 as one of the most promising qbs ,where did he land #22 or 24 cant remember overall. Im not saying your wrong Im just saying there is always a possibility and drafts are unpredictible no matter how mcuh these "experts" try to predict it

ColonelJ
01-09-2010, 10:31 AM
WR is tricky spot for us. It all depends how a wide receiver is utilized. If you don't have a quarterback to throw to theor strengths, then the WR is wasting his time.
It also takes a year or two for a WR to adjust to corner and LB play as well as the quarterback.

So if we are looking for a receiver to come in next year and be #1 from this draft, I think we are dreaming a little bit.

IMO there are three receivers who could be very productive immediately: Dez, Tate, and Alexander. But all three are different and need different types of passing plays. Dez is ceertainly the strongest because of his size, athleticism, but his route running is not as good as Tate's. Tate is a great route runner and fighter, but will not have great YAC ability immediately like Dez. We'll have to throw it underneath, or develop the trust like he had with Clausen that Henne can just throw it deep and he will get it. This takes time. Alexander is a Moss like target that will go on and off. One quarter he will make 100 yards and then disappear. His stats will be great but he will drive you crazy.

The rest, like Lafell, Thomas, Benn, I think will take at least a year to be productive.

Clipse
01-09-2010, 12:40 PM
It is relatively weak. This draft is Dez Bryant and everybody else. He's the only 1st round talent in the draft as far as WR is concerned. Luckily for us it's a very strong defensive draft class. Next year's WR class is going to be amazing if some of the juniors declare.

BigNastyDB13
01-09-2010, 02:11 PM
I like Williams, but not at #12, that's way too high.

He's probably a bit overrated by some, but he's still an excellent prospect. He won't run a 4.3 or anything, but he's still got good speed for his size. Bottom line, he's an impact player.

Meh...

I like Golden Tate more than a lot of people. I don't view the gap between Bryant and Tate all that big. I'm not sure Tate has the change of direction that Bryant has, but he plays bigger than he is. Very good speed, and he's very good after the catch (former RB).

As for size in a WR, that's incredibly overrated, especially post 2004.

Being tall is great and all, but only if you have good quickness/change of direction. How's Patrick Turner working out?

Exactly! Who gives a crap if the guys 5'10, if he makes plays we could use him.

j-off-her-doll
01-09-2010, 05:05 PM
Drafting Williams over Bryant would be monumentally stupid. I would break my TV and then every TV on my block.

After Bryant, the class is iffy. Bryant, though, runs with the authority of a young T. O. And, his suspension was bull sh-it. So, I wouldn't get my panties in a bunch. D. Bryant = the player we should draft - period - if he's available. That is, unless we can grab E. Berry, but we'd have to trade up to get him.

I'd rather draft Bryant and then trade up to get E. Thomas. But, tha's me.

PALMA
01-09-2010, 08:34 PM
Gap between Dez Bryant and the rest of the receiver class is similar to the gap two years ago between Jake Long and the rest of the LTs - for our system. In another system Clady might have graded higher than Long.

For however we want to take it, Ireland did note that getting a #1 receiver (or stud playmaker) will not come cheap. Bryant, Hartline, and Bess makes a pretty good young trio of receivers.

PATSSUCK
01-10-2010, 11:20 AM

It really says nothing about whether they can play the game of football or not. All draft guru's go to the tape in the end.

Now, as for the ? of WR's in this draft. This draft is not weak IMO. I just think WR's get overhyped but good teams who pick late often go WR. There are many here who can be good but in the NFL, its about mentality, work-ethic, and earning your money. Something that cannot be measured before they get the $.

Brandon Tate- smaller type fighter (someone who would be nice but will not likely make it to us in 2nd)

Marty Gilyard-size matters to alot of people. I think he is a smooth player with savy and knows how to play. I think he could make it to us at our 2nd pick.

Lafell- Is he complete go to type player? He is being compared to Bowe. Well...thats not really worth a 12 pick do ya think?

There are WR's out there like Hartline who are complete no-names who have it in this league because of their mental state, not their draft state.

The reason Bryant was suspended was the biggest pile of horse**** I have ever seen. He is not a head case. There are alot of people that say he is very down to earth and that he works hard.

LikeUntoGod
01-10-2010, 02:50 PM
Last year was a deep year (with some good TEs) and we take Pat White and Pat Turner.:rolleyes2:

FinsFanatic777
01-10-2010, 07:15 PM

Dez Bryant's biggest issue is his speed, not his personality issues. He's a big and physical player, but most people are concerned because NFL cornerbacks are much faster and they are not sure if Dez can outrun them, because his route-running isn't so sharp either.

Mcduffinator
01-11-2010, 05:33 AM
Gilyard is a pimp.

Minnphin
01-11-2010, 03:49 PM
Interesting how Eric Decker has completely fallen off the face of the earth since his injury. Somebody's gonna get a major steal, my guess is the the Patriots. He's big, physical, great hands, hard worker and warrior...only question is speed but I'm guessing he won't run any slower than Boldin did.

ChambersWI
01-11-2010, 04:05 PM
IMO it's not a weak WR class, but it doesn't have a lot of go-to guys.

Dez Bryant is the only sure fire potential number 1 WR. Arrelious Benn has the size and skill set to be a number 1, but due to poor QB in Illinois the production isn't there. Golden Tate COULD be a number 1, but IMO he's more of a Laverneous Coles type player in the pros; boarder line number 1, better suited as a number 2.

Guys like Mardy Gilyard, Eric Decker, Denario Alexander, Jordan Shipley, and a few others should be solid pros as well.

BobDole
01-11-2010, 07:23 PM
it's very weak IMO. i think benn and bryant are the best of the bunch and the only two i'd trust to produce immediately. tate's decent as well. that's why getting a #1 in FA and waiting until next year to draft one - if needed - might be the smarter move.

ZachThomas76
01-11-2010, 07:32 PM
Yes, your premise is wrong. This regime will not spend a high draft pick on a WR. And, a rookie WR will not solve what ails this offense.

This regime needs to find a FA WR who can impact the offense starting on the first game of the season.
Look elsewhere for the offensive firepower in the draft i.e. TE, RB, and WR in middle to later rounds.

Fins will pick D early and often.

Harvin, S Rice, D Jackson, D Bowe, Crabtree, Maclin. Plenty of rookies or 2nd year wr's can make immediate impacts.

ZachThomas76
01-11-2010, 07:36 PM
Exactly! Who gives a crap if the guys 5'10, if he makes plays we could use him.

I prefer size in a wr, but thats just my personal taste. When your offense gets to the redzone or 10-15 yard line, would you rather throw fades to a 6'4 guy or 5'11? Now depending on the offense, it may not matter. I happen to hate that playcall to be honest, i see it as a low % play.

dlcmdrx
01-11-2010, 08:48 PM
Horrible draft class and the guys rated at the top are hugely overrated.

Reminds me of the OT class a few years ago when AZ chose Levi Brown over Adrian Peterson.

A lot of people don't realize that talent just isn't automatic in every years draft.

Do you remember all the people on this site who wanted the Dolphins to draft Levi Brown to play left tackle????? He was hugely overrated because there just wasn't any OT talent that year.

Now, Levi Brown is one of the worst starting RT's in the league. If the Cardinals had any depth at all he would have been benched and later cut.

No,NO,NO to drafting overrated WR's the first day.

Thats why "BULIDING THROUGH THE DRAFT" doesnt always work.

dtjp17
01-12-2010, 12:15 PM
For all you talking about Bryant's suspension. He really didn't do anything wrong I mean he lied abouit working out with Deon. So if thats a charector issue him bettering his play making ability with prime time. I'm willing to look the other way

Nappy Roots
01-12-2010, 01:16 PM
IMO it's not a weak WR class, but it doesn't have a lot of go-to guys.

Dez Bryant is the only sure fire potential number 1 WR. Arrelious Benn has the size and skill set to be a number 1, but due to poor QB in Illinois the production isn't there. Golden Tate COULD be a number 1, but IMO he's more of a Laverneous Coles type player in the pros; boarder line number 1, better suited as a number 2.

Guys like Mardy Gilyard, Eric Decker, Denario Alexander, Jordan Shipley, and a few others should be solid pros as well.

Benn's QB play isnt the only reason for his lack of production. hes really lazy and lacks concentration a lot of the time. not just a little, a lot..

2413fanphins
01-12-2010, 06:01 PM
does andre johnson have a younger sibling of similar size.

seriously though, past dez bryant and golden tate, I'm not sure I bother with a WR this year through the draft.

If we could only sign one FA this year, I would lean towards and established #1 WR. preferrably in the 24-26 years of age group.
as unlikely as that seems I can always hope.

I think I'll stick with mcclain for the time being.