PDA

View Full Version : Have the odds diminished in signing a wr in the first?

napsndreds
01-10-2010, 05:49 PM
Just thinking, right now we have on the active roster, ginn, cam, bess, hartline, turner, grice-mullen, pruitt, and johnson. Thats 8 receivers going into camp...What do you think the plan will be..Looks like they are betting the odds on another davonne bess to step up and be number 1. Why would they pick a reciever in the first round with the numbers at that position. Leads me to think the positions we are most thin at will be priority..like linebacker , tight end, and or nose tackle. We might be in for another boring draft.

Ricky4Life
01-10-2010, 05:51 PM
We will not pick a WR this draft unless it is in the later rounds. They will sign a LB in free agency for sure. Would like to see best Def player picked or would like to see Spiller picked up and Ronnie traded for a 2nd. They are looking for another diamond in the rough WR I.E. Miles Austin.

dolfan_101
01-10-2010, 05:52 PM
sucks :facepalm:

napsndreds
01-10-2010, 05:54 PM
Why would we get rid of Ronnie right now when Ricky is ion his way out in a year? That means we'd need to fill 2 spots.. Unless Hillard is that dude.

napsndreds
01-10-2010, 05:54 PM
sucks :facepalm:

explain.

dolfan_101
01-10-2010, 06:01 PM
explain.

It sucks thinking we won't do anything about our WR's when our number one priority, right up there with finalizing our 3-4 , should be trying to give Henne a number one gun. I feel like we would be stunting his growth not getting him at least one interesting prospect to play with.

napsndreds
01-10-2010, 06:05 PM
It sucks thinking we won't do anything about our WR's when our number one priority, right up there with finalizing our 3-4 , should be trying to give Henne a number one gun. I feel like we would be stunting his growth not getting him at least one interesting prospect to play with.

probably in the second.. Definately not the first.

Stratman Tigers
01-10-2010, 06:12 PM
I'd like to see them draft an RB, NT, and LB. Sign a WR like austin

dolfan_101
01-10-2010, 06:25 PM
probably in the second.. Definately not the first.

Who would you think would be there for the taking in the 2nd?

houtz
01-10-2010, 06:28 PM
Who would you think would be there for the taking in the 2nd?

I think Lafell. They're going to be coaching him in the Senior Bowl so they'll see him up close. I think he'll definitely be there in the second and if I recall there was an article before that said Ireland was keeping a close watch on Lafell.

Lafell has nice hands, great size and could IMO become a #1 WR. Benn is also a possibility but I'm not sure if he'd be there. Thomas, D.Williams, M.Williams, Gilyard and a few others will also be there in the second.

Ricky4Life
01-10-2010, 06:40 PM
Why would we get rid of Ronnie right now when Ricky is ion his way out in a year? That means we'd need to fill 2 spots.. Unless Hillard is that dude.

I think Hillard could be good. Spiller has that home run speed from the back field or lined out at wr. Ronnie always seems to get caught from behind, not to mentioned the injuries, his age and plus if the FO can get a 2nd round for him it will get done.

MadDog 88
01-10-2010, 06:42 PM
I think the better question is why not? He has a hard time staying healthy. They need to go in a different direction.

But they won't get a second rounder for him. Maybe a 3rd.

EDIT: Forget the original question. No I don't see a WR going in 1. They have to fix the middle of the defense and Parcells is all about LBs which currently, ours suck. It will depend on FA to determine if they take a WR later in the draft or not. I think if they sign A. Bryant, they don't draft one.

miami234ever
01-10-2010, 07:00 PM
I don't know that we were ever going to get a WR in the 1st round. I don't know that we will get a #1 WR this off-season even. My guess is that we sign a guy to a small contract (Derrick Mason or Malcolm Floyd). We'll see what we have with Patrick Turner in his 2nd year and if we've got nothing, then maybe we swing a trade for a WR.

Breed
01-10-2010, 07:14 PM
We will not pick a WR this draft unless it is in the later rounds. They will sign a LB in free agency for sure. Would like to see best Def player picked or would like to see Spiller picked up and Ronnie traded for a 2nd. They are looking for another diamond in the rough WR I.E. Miles Austin.

Didn't Parcells pick Keyshawn Johnson with the 1st overall pick? Didn't this regime spend a 2nd round pick on a gimmick QB. Do you honestly believe this regime will pass up on a WR if he's the BPA?

cowboy82nd
01-10-2010, 07:20 PM
Didn't Parcells pick Keyshawn Johnson with the 1st overall pick? Didn't this regime spend a 2nd round pick on a gimmick QB. Do you honestly believe this regime will pass up on a WR if he's the BPA?

Yes, I do believe they would pass up on a WR even if he's the BPA. Parcells likes his defense, and until ours in the the upper tier of the league, I see them taking defense first and foremost. JMO.

jason_taylor
01-10-2010, 07:31 PM
Yes, I do believe they would pass up on a WR even if he's the BPA. Parcells likes his defense, and until ours in the the upper tier of the league, I see them taking defense first and foremost. JMO.

hmmmm wonder why we didnt go after defence when we took pat white in the 2nd :crazy:

Breed
01-10-2010, 07:41 PM

Pacells favoring defense didn't stop him from picking a gimmick QB in the 2nd year, a year after spending a 2nd rounder on Henne.

Bahama Fin Fan
01-10-2010, 07:42 PM
When our pick comes around you pick the BPA at our positions of need

FinsFanatic777
01-10-2010, 07:43 PM
hmmmm wonder why we didnt go after defence when we took pat white in the 2nd :crazy:

Because at the time of the draft, all we had as a QB was Pennington. The FO did not know how good (or bad) Henne would be, so they took the QB that would best fit our system - Pat White. Of course, if BP knew that Henne would turn out like he had, 100% guaranteed he would NOT have drafted Pat White.

Breed
01-10-2010, 07:45 PM
Because at the time of the draft, all we had as a QB was Pennington. The FO did not know how good (or bad) Henne would be, so they took the QB that would best fit our system - Pat White. Of course, if BP knew that Henne would turn out like he had, 100% guaranteed he would NOT have drafted Pat White.

Parcells/Ireland picked White for the sole purpose of the "Wild Cat".

FinsFanatic777
01-10-2010, 07:52 PM
Parcells/Ireland picked White for the sole purpose of the "Wild Cat".

They also picked White to give Henne a challenge for the starting job in the future. By giving Henne a challenge, there would be no Jamarcus Russell-type work ethics going on. And since the Wildcat was so successful, Pat White was the perfect fit for our system. And I remember almost every single Dolphin fan was so happy that we picked White...

Breed
01-10-2010, 07:58 PM
They also picked White to give Henne a challenge for the starting job in the future. By giving Henne a challenge, there would be no Jamarcus Russell-type work ethics going on.

Even if you look at it from that point of view, they spent two 2nd round picks on quarterbacks in as many years. So why wouldn't they spend a high pick on a WR, which is one of the biggest needs on the team?

And since the Wildcat was so successful, Pat White was the perfect fit for our system. And I remember almost every single Dolphin fan was so happy that we picked White...

There were several fans that hated that pick when it was made, me among them. I can't even remember the last time I was so pissed over a draft pick.

FinsFanatic777
01-10-2010, 08:06 PM
Even if you look at it from that point of view, they spent two 2nd round picks on quarterbacks in as many years. So why wouldn't they spend a high pick on a WR, which is one of the biggest needs on the team?

There were several fans that hated that pick when it was made, me among them. I can't even remember the last time I was so pissed over a draft pick.

Well, since Henne had 0 experience and Pennington was at the end of his career, it was more fit to look for the QB of the future first, rather than a WR.

And I'm not saying every Dolphins fan loved that pick, but there were so many were ecstatic about the drafting him... Some even went as far as calling White the next Michael Vick.

I see your point. We wasted so many 2nd rounders on QB's ever since Marino retired, and this just emphasizes the importance for a QB. Luckily, now since we have one we can just move on.

Astrosback
01-10-2010, 08:11 PM
I think the better question is why not? He has a hard time staying healthy. They need to go in a different direction.

But they won't get a second rounder for him. Maybe a 3rd.

EDIT: Forget the original question. No I don't see a WR going in 1. They have to fix the middle of the defense and Parcells is all about LBs which currently, ours suck. It will depend on FA to determine if they take a WR later in the draft or not. I think if they sign A. Bryant, they don't draft one.

I think a 2nd rounder is exactly what they'll get for him. He is a RFA. The have a choice of 3 tenders they can offer him. The 1st and 3rd round tender, the 2nd round tender or the tender for the round in which he was drafted (1st). I think they'll give him the 2nd round tender and a RB-needy team like DET, CLE, HOU, WSH or PHI will easily pay their 2nd rounder to sign him away from us.

Clipse
01-10-2010, 08:15 PM
We will sign Antonio Bryant, and give him another weapon in the draft in Jimmy Graham. This WR class is simply too weak. WR will be addressed for the future next draft, where there will actually be more than one #1 WR, unlike this draft which is Dez Bryant, then a bunch of #2 and #3 type WR's at best.

Fresh
01-11-2010, 12:30 AM
Just thinking, right now we have on the active roster, ginn, cam, bess, hartline, turner, grice-mullen, pruitt, and johnson. Thats 8 receivers going into camp...What do you think the plan will be..Looks like they are betting the odds on another davonne bess to step up and be number 1. Why would they pick a reciever in the first round with the numbers at that position. Leads me to think the positions we are most thin at will be priority..like linebacker , tight end, and or nose tackle. We might be in for another boring draft.

Bess = #2 or #3
Hartline = #2 or #3
Ginn = #3 or #4
Camarillo = #3 or #4 (probably let go once we add another receiver)
Turner = sad story, nothing expected
Grice-Mullen = most likely camp fodder
Pruitt = most likely camp fodder
Johnson = most likely camp fodder

Still no #1. So yes. We really need to add a receiver with a high draft choice or high price tag.

baseballcb95
01-11-2010, 12:42 AM
Pretty dumb post, quality NOT quantity. If dez bryant is BPA when we draft, and he isnt drafted, i do not want parcells here anymore.

baseballcb95
01-11-2010, 12:44 AM
Id love ronnie for a second and ginn and our 3rd for Baltimores 2nd.