PDA

View Full Version : Weatherspoon vs McClain

SR 7
01-10-2010, 06:26 PM
After watching some quick film on both I think Miami might go towards Weatherspoon a bit more due to his great coverage skills, extremely physical and HARD HITTER (somethign this defense lacks, biggest hitter is Davis..a CB) and a good instinct/tackler.

I think I am starting to lean towards that guy as being our ILB of the future more so than McClain even though the man is a beast (I doubt he gets past 11).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx-BxSaQVh4

hooshoops
01-10-2010, 06:38 PM
this is no contest....mcclain

SR 7
01-10-2010, 06:42 PM
McClain prob wont last until 12.

hooshoops
01-10-2010, 06:42 PM
and weatherspoon isn't worth pick #12 imo

SR 7
01-10-2010, 06:44 PM
right now I think Weatherspoon, Thomas, and Graham are the best options at the moment.

SR 7
01-10-2010, 06:47 PM
and weatherspoon isn't worth pick #12 imo

Ofcourse he is. Have you seen him play? the guy plays on all 3 downs, covers if not better hten neone in the draft (backers), hits extremely hard, tackles well, and always finds a way to be involved.

No one say Mayo being picked that high...look how he turned out. Oh Hartline, end of the day its about whether the guy can flat out play and do something that someone else in his spot can't do as well (meaning draft spot not position).

hooshoops
01-10-2010, 06:51 PM
that's your opinion...that's not mine...i don't have him worthy of pick #12

to each his own

SR 7
01-10-2010, 06:56 PM
that's your opinion...that's not mine...i don't have him worthy of pick #12

to each his own

no one said anything against that...

Ozfin77
01-10-2010, 07:16 PM
I dont believe Weatherspoon is worth the 12 overall pick either.....Nowhere near it.

Clipse
01-10-2010, 08:19 PM
Yea. McClain is worlds better than Weatherspoon, and him not being worth the 12th is my opinion as well. Not to mention McClain has a very good chance of being their at pick 12. ILB isn't usually a position that gets drafted very high. Honestly, if McClain isn't their at number 12, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see us trade down to around the 20th pick or so and go for a Jerry Hughes, Earl Thomas, or Brandon Spikes.

3rdandinches
01-10-2010, 08:51 PM
I can get with that if McClain is gone and we trade back. Not the height BP normally likes but he's definitely a player!

ColonelJ
01-10-2010, 10:50 PM
Let me put it to you this way.

McClain is a top 10 pick, and a top 10 player in this draft, and possibly top 5.

Weatherspoon is a second round talent.

2413fanphins
01-10-2010, 11:07 PM
would it be too early to take a dan williams or terrance cody at 12. I realize that they would probably not be the BPA, but it would fill a hole if we didn't land a WR or Rolando.

soliai I'm not sure is going to cut it. although he showed signs of improvement over the latter part of the year.

ColonelJ
01-10-2010, 11:23 PM
would it be too early to take a dan williams or terrance cody at 12. I realize that they would probably not be the BPA, but it would fill a hole if we didn't land a WR or Rolando.

soliai I'm not sure is going to cut it. although he showed signs of improvement over the latter part of the year.
I think it would be too high to take DT at 12. The reason is that, although the second round DTs are not as highly touted they are very good. However, the second round ILBs are not as good.
For example, in the second round you can get a line player DE/DT/OLB like: Selvie, Griffen, Pierre Paul, Wooten, Brian Price, Vince Oghobaase, Jarred Odrick.

Oraclepz
01-10-2010, 11:37 PM
with the 12 pick is either McClain or Dez Bryant and Bryant is a MAYBE.. of course this is provided SUH or Berry dont drop down by some miracle of God. I say if the original two arent there we should trade down.

SR 7
01-11-2010, 12:11 AM
Yea. McClain is worlds better than Weatherspoon, and him not being worth the 12th is my opinion as well. Not to mention McClain has a very good chance of being their at pick 12. ILB isn't usually a position that gets drafted very high. Honestly, if McClain isn't their at number 12, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see us trade down to around the 20th pick or so and go for a Jerry Hughes, Earl Thomas, or Brandon Spikes.

1) we wont go for Hughes he is a WOLB we need SOLB and Wake will take the WOLB position.

2) Thomas is a top 15 talent wont last to 20 trust me.

3) Spikes stock is going to plummet after the combine. He is too slow which is the word coming out of everyones mouth and mentions of him dropping to round 3 are floating all over.

baseballcb95
01-11-2010, 12:23 AM
Spikes in the 3rd round? i doubt it.... 2nd for sure..

Phinatic8u
01-11-2010, 02:29 AM
McClain by a landslide.

VontaeAllDay
01-11-2010, 12:12 PM
I'd give my left nut and some kidney to draft Spoon. My favorite all time college player. Not that I'm biased..*cough*

fgrocker
01-11-2010, 12:49 PM
If both are there at #12, we take McClain. No question.

If McClain goes before our pick, we take BPA and hope Weatherspoon or Spikes is there in the 2nd round.

Debate closed.

ColonelJ
01-11-2010, 01:16 PM
vvvvv :hump:

Kdawg954
01-11-2010, 01:25 PM
McClain is the better fit for us, but doesn't look like he makes it to 12.

Doubt Spoon or Spikes last to our pick in round 2. I say take the BPA and sign Dansby. That opens up the door for a guy like Earl Thomas or Dez Bryant.

RealDriscoll
01-11-2010, 01:33 PM
I just don't see how Weatherspoon is worth the #12 pick. Not witht he type of talent available. If Spoon can fall to #44 than it's a no-brainer.

RealDriscoll
01-11-2010, 01:37 PM
I love Dansy and with Darnell Dockett, Antrell Rolle, Anquan Boldin, and Bertrand Berry being owed some serious cash someone is going to become available. I was reading ESPN Insider and they confirmed that the Dolphins had serious interest but the asking price was too high. I would love our 2nd rounder for Boldin or Miles Austin without question.

Also says some stuff about Wilfork being a possible landing spot in Miami.

It's such a longshot that it's hard to even comment but if we could sign Wilfork, trade a 2nd for Boldin, and than draft Rolando McClain we would be serious contenders

RealDriscoll
01-11-2010, 01:38 PM
KDawg,

Good call man. Bryant, Thomas, and even Spiller is where I want to go

Boomer
01-11-2010, 05:19 PM
Sean Weatherspoon - 4 year starter, defensive captain, best cover linebacker in the draft bar none, downhill player, athletic, gets off blocks much more efficiently than given credit for, sudden, hitter, can play ILB in a 3-4.

He needs to be in the conversation in and around that 12 pick area. He's value in the 15-25 area because he can play in or out in both defenses and will start from day 1.

PerfectFinz72
01-11-2010, 05:40 PM
If McClain isn't available at #12...I just hope they don't reach for another LB. Take best available for a position you could use an upgrade for (WR, S, RB) or trade down. Just don't reach!

ckparrothead
01-11-2010, 05:41 PM
Spoon made a lot of plays at Mizzou.

What you have to watch for is when all of these players hit the Combine, if the whispers actually are true of Brandon Spikes running a super slow 40 time, then watch out when Spoon runs in the low 4.5's which will be a lot faster than both Spikes and McClain...at somewhere hovering around 250 pounds.

Spoon has speed and agility that neither Spikes nor McClain possess.

SR 7
01-11-2010, 05:42 PM
Sean Weatherspoon - 4 year starter, defensive captain, best cover linebacker in the draft bar none, downhill player, athletic, gets off blocks much more efficiently than given credit for, sudden, hitter, can play ILB in a 3-4.

He needs to be in the conversation in and around that 12 pick area. He's value in the 15-25 area because he can play in or out in both defenses and will start from day 1.

Thanks for chiming in Boom...ppl were acting as if I was nuts calling him a top 15 talent.

SR 7
01-11-2010, 05:43 PM
Spoon made a lot of plays at Mizzou.

What you have to watch for is when all of these players hit the Combine, if the whispers actually are true of Brandon Spikes running a super slow 40 time, then watch out when Spoon runs in the low 4.5's which will be a lot faster than both Spikes and McClain...at somewhere hovering around 250 pounds.

Spoon has speed and agility that neither Spikes nor McClain possess.

thanks more support from the 2 wise ones. Ppl jsut watched McClain as the BCS game and think they are talent evaluators now loll.

Spoon hits like a MONSTER as well. Watching his film, if he can come tackle you he will knock ur *** out not just tackle.

Boomer
01-11-2010, 06:10 PM
Thanks for chiming in Boom...ppl were acting as if I was nuts calling him a top 15 talent.

Well they shouldn't my man. The kid can flat out play. 2 seasons ago, 08/09 he had 18.5 TFL, 4.5 sacks, 3 picks, 2 of he which he took to the house, 2 FF, 8 pbu's and 155 tackles. That's as a junior! He loses Ziggy Hood, Strykar Sulak, Brock Christopher and William Moore to the NFL and still has an All American season. He's a very, very good, very solid and very safe pick.

SR 7
01-11-2010, 06:21 PM
Well they shouldn't my man. The kid can flat out play. 2 seasons ago, 08/09 he had 18.5 TFL, 4.5 sacks, 3 picks, 2 of he which he took to the house, 2 FF, 8 pbu's and 155 tackles. That's as a junior! He loses Ziggy Hood, Strykar Sulak, Brock Christopher and William Moore to the NFL and still has an All American season. He's a very, very good, very solid and very safe pick.

thats the key word...SAFE PICK. I think that like players like that, someone that will live up to at least the pay check rather htan becoming a bust.

He is a gamer all around and if they see he is far more capable of living up to that 12 figure salary he will be a pick rather than a guy lke Cody or Williams who they feel they can find in later rounds and be less of a risk/bust.

MrEd
01-11-2010, 06:22 PM

Well, I guess you answered a question I posted to ya in another thread. thanks. I am liking Weatherspoon more and more at #12 the more I watch and compare to McClain.

I would crap in my pants of excitement if Parcells pulls a trade down a few slots with a team that gets him someone like Boldin or Marshall and come away from the 1st round with say Boldin/Marshall and Weatherspoon with the pick!!! :crazy: Let me stop dreaming...:pray::ponder::hump:

ckparrothead
01-11-2010, 06:32 PM
thats the key word...SAFE PICK. I think that like players like that, someone that will live up to at least the pay check rather htan becoming a bust.

He is a gamer all around and if they see he is far more capable of living up to that 12 figure salary he will be a pick rather than a guy lke Cody or Williams who they feel they can find in later rounds and be less of a risk/bust.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you say "safe pick". Spikes and McClain may have some athletic risk factors. Spoon doesn't seem to have any. And this isn't some guy who never showed up on a Saturday and then only shows up in shorts on the track. This is a two-time 2nd Team All American, a leader, a play maker, averaged 9.9 tackles per game which is better than both Spikes and McClain.

There's risk in taking a guy that you don't know athletically if he can cut it.

TedSlimmJr
01-11-2010, 06:39 PM
Really a good player...very experienced, productive, durable, battle tested.....closes on the ball carrier with excellent burst....one of the best coverage senior 'backers in the draft along with Edddds IMO...

But yet another senior prospect who looked to be playing like he didn't want to get hurt...especially later in the season.....had a miserable day against Navy....

In the mold of Jerod Mayo IMO.....just not as fast...

Boomer
01-11-2010, 06:46 PM
I think the day against Navy was tough for him because he was playing against that option offense and essentially his role, when lining up on the strongside especially was to sit at home and force Ricky Dobbs to either keep it or pitch it. It was a disciplined display of defending.

These are my notes from that game:

The big name in the game was Missouri linebacker Sean Weatherspoon who yet again didn’t disappoint and I’ve mentioned it before but it deserves a re-broadcast; at what point are we going to start talking about Weatherspoon as a Dolphin first rounder? OK, so not ideally suited to the 3-4, but as a playmaking ILB in a 3-4 who can get into the backfield and make plays, then there’s few better. More athletic ability than either Spikes or McClain, he’s physical, he can cover, he can attack the perimeter and whilst he’s not ‘outstanding’ at taking on blocks, he’s plenty good enough. He protects his lower body very well and is aware when getting through trash. This is a guy who worked extra practices with Jeremy Maclin so as to get better in coverage. Alen thinks he looks a bit heavy and a little less mobile this year. We disagree on so few things, but this might be the only one. To me he looks as effective as he has done in the previous 4 years as a starter. He’s always been a very sudden player, a very good athlete who brings a tremendous pop on contact. You could tell in this game that he really hated playing Navy’s option, especially in his last game because he wanted to go out and run around and hit someone, but he spent much of the day chasing shadows, trying to sit between Ricky Dobbs and the man he was pitching the ball to. He lined up at all three spots in this one. When you watch him play the first thing you notice is that he takes a big hop forwards at the snap. But right from the start he was flashing big time ability, especially in space to make plays. Early first quarter he works quickly across the formation, avoiding trash and laying the lumber to a scrambling Dobbs on the perimeter, almost knocking him into the next state. What I like about him is that for someone who apparently can’t get off a block inside, he’s always moving and he’s never off his feet. He has a great understanding of what’s going on underneath him and is athletic enough to leap over blockers that others would simply go around. Some call it picking their way through trash, I prefer to see it as getting to the ball carrier and for someone who ‘picks his way through trash’, he makes an awful lot of tackles away from his starting position that other trash pickers could never make. He’s a fluid mover in space and for a 252lb linebacker, changes direction easily. At times he lined up as a 5th defensive lineman on the strong side, although that was mainly to counter the option, which he generally played with discipline. When he played at middle linebacker, he’s a downhill force; aggressive up and into the hole, sinking his hips and driving the ball carrier backwards. When he encounters linemen in the hole or at the second level, he’s very physical although I’d like to see him use his hands a little better and more consistently. Perhaps he relies on that athletic ability a little too much at times rather than getting his hands up under the pads and tucking his elbows in. In coverage he has a very good back peddle, will flip his hips like a safety and can stick with backs or tight ends right down the field. I’m a big fan of this kid who graduated in three and a half years and is the team leader of this ball club. I absolutely cannot see a scenario where he falls out of round 1. Fun player to watch.

BobDole
01-11-2010, 06:49 PM
weatherspoon is a great overall athlete and a tackling machine. it's too bad he disappeared in the bowl game against navy - i was hoping to see how he'd fair versus that funky offense - and so was missouri being they got handled 35-13. he also has good size for the 3-4. but i still wonder about LB's in the big 12 - always have - always will.

i'd still take mcclain with that pick given the choice. you can't go wrong with mcclain IMO - dominating in the SEC like he did is as impressive as it gets. weatherspoon is an interesting prospect though.

SR 7
01-11-2010, 08:55 PM
I think you hit the nail on the head when you say "safe pick". Spikes and McClain may have some athletic risk factors. Spoon doesn't seem to have any. And this isn't some guy who never showed up on a Saturday and then only shows up in shorts on the track. This is a two-time 2nd Team All American, a leader, a play maker, averaged 9.9 tackles per game which is better than both Spikes and McClain.

There's risk in taking a guy that you don't know athletically if he can cut it.

I don't know if it is jsut me or not but he kind of (he meaning Spoon) reminds me of Willis in terms of speed (not as fast tho), Agility, sideline to sideline, hitting, and ability to cover adn chase players.

hooshoops
01-11-2010, 10:58 PM
i saw parts of the navy game...wasn't very impressed...but i guess i need to take a longer look at him

ckparrothead
01-11-2010, 11:08 PM
Against that triple option attack, it's very difficult to look impressive playing the position that Spoon plays. Even Aaron Curry did not look totally impressive playing the triple option. Staying disciplined does not afford you much ability to make plays against that attack. Keep in mind that Edds would have really had an overall "blah" day against Georgia Tech if not for a few poorly conceived pass attempts toward the A-Back in Edds' coverage.

3rdandinches
01-12-2010, 09:48 AM
Personally the way to go is to trade back and still try to get Weatherspoon that to me becomes a no brainer. Risking not getting him when we still have so many other needs and get more draft picks is got to be worth it. I really hope a QB or some other player drops to give us that chance to trade back a handful of spots.

Nappy Roots
01-12-2010, 11:31 AM
the biggest thing i like about Weatherspoon is how violent he is when he hits. i think that is a must in the 3-4 with ILB to play violent being as you may have to take on big blockers. which is Weatherspoons only concern with me. not that i dont think he cant do it. but i think McClain does it better. who do i think is better? McClain as of now, i think Weatherspoon is very close and has more potential because hes a little more athletically gifted and better in coverage.

who would i take at 12? good question, im not sure yet. i have about 5 or 6 players i wouldnt mind having at the 12 pick.

depending on how everything works out at the combine i might take wideout at 12 and ILB in the 2nd if spikes drops that far and if Bryant or Thomas runs well at the combine.

WelcomeBack
01-12-2010, 12:12 PM
the biggest thing i like about Weatherspoon is how violent he is when he hits. i think that is a must in the 3-4 with ILB to play violent being as you may have to take on big blockers. which is Weatherspoons only concern with me. not that i dont think he cant do it. but i think McClain does it better. who do i think is better? McClain as of now, i think Weatherspoon is very close and has more potential because hes a little more athletically gifted and better in coverage.

who would i take at 12? good question, im not sure yet. i have about 5 or 6 players i wouldnt mind having at the 12 pick.

depending on how everything works out at the combine i might take wideout at 12 and ILB in the 2nd if spikes drops that far and if Bryant or Thomas runs well at the combine.

The thing about Weatherspoon that I like, is he has something that our current ILB's lack, the ability to make big plays. Over his career, he had 413 tackles, 43.5 resulted in a loss. But he also has 12.5 sacks and if I'm counting correctly, 4 interceptions, two of them returned for touchdowns.

That is impressive...and as Boomer stated, he did well even with the loss of all that NFL talent on the defense there when he was a junior.

BARF
01-12-2010, 01:24 PM
i also think spoon is a 2nd round talent if he is there and we have 2 picks in that round u take him, he does have a motor

WelcomeBack
01-12-2010, 01:30 PM
i also think spoon is a 2nd round talent if he is there and we have 2 picks in that round u take him, he does have a motor

I would say 1st round talent, but that's differing opinions.

If he shows off at the combine, probably top 20, top 15.

BARF
01-12-2010, 06:22 PM
agreed

Lord Of Miami
01-13-2010, 11:40 AM
1) we wont go for Hughes he is a WOLB we need SOLB and Wake will take the WOLB position.

2) Thomas is a top 15 talent wont last to 20 trust me.

3) Spikes stock is going to plummet after the combine. He is too slow which is the word coming out of everyones mouth and mentions of him dropping to round 3 are floating all over.

Your the second person i've seen say this about our OLB spot..............

A year from now...odds are Jason and Porter won't be here and it takes the better part of a year for most college linebackers to start and play in a 3-4 Defense.

Wake has not played well in Space since FOREVER not just the past year and so far the Dolphins have seen nothing to make them think he'll be able to do that, next year or 3 years from now.

So they won't plan on handing the job over to a guy who has shown so far, he's not up for the job.That's not the way Tony,Jeff and Bill roll.:up:

They will be looking for two OLB that can start a year from now in FA and the draft, not just one.

dolfan91
01-13-2010, 05:46 PM
To be honest i have read alot about Weatherspoon in the pre season mags and on all the draft sites... with al the talk about McClain and Spikes, he never entered my mind ... shame on me for knowing about his talents but never having the insight to link him to Miami at # 12 ... he fits the mold, with his height being his only negative!!! but what i like is his coverage ability, something that was exposed all season long by Miami opponents ...

uga3406
01-13-2010, 09:42 PM
Let me put it to you this way.
:hi5:
McClain is a top 10 pick, and a top 10 player in this draft, and possibly top 5.

Weatherspoon is a second round talent.

i agree w/ u there

Valandui
01-13-2010, 10:53 PM
Your the second person i've seen say this about our OLB spot..............

A year from now...odds are Jason and Porter won't be here and it takes the better part of a year for most college linebackers to start and play in a 3-4 Defense.

Wake has not played well in Space since FOREVER not just the past year and so far the Dolphins have seen nothing to make them think he'll be able to do that, next year or 3 years from now.

So they won't plan on handing the job over to a guy who has shown so far, he's not up for the job.That's not the way Tony,Jeff and Bill roll.:up:

They will be looking for two OLB that can start a year from now in FA and the draft, not just one.
Wake is no worse against the run than Joey Porter. He is the definition of a one-dimensional player.

52CANES
01-14-2010, 07:55 PM
Ofcourse he is. Have you seen him play? the guy plays on all 3 downs, covers if not better hten neone in the draft (backers), hits extremely hard, tackles well, and always finds a way to be involved.

No one say Mayo being picked that high...look how he turned out. Oh Hartline, end of the day its about whether the guy can flat out play and do something that someone else in his spot can't do as well (meaning draft spot not position).

Yeah you coulda played a drinking game to take a shot every time someone said Mayo was a reach on draft day...

j-off-her-doll
01-14-2010, 08:04 PM
Here's what I don't get about people wanting McClain at the 12-spot:

There are 3 ILB's who may be as good or better than him in the draft (Spoon, Spikes, Johnson). Even if McClain is the best, I don't think the margin will be wide. Two of those players will probably be there when we draft in RD 2 (maybe all three), and at least one will likely be there in RD 3 (maybe even two). So, from the perspective of value, McClain - to me - seem like a bad pick at #12.

Quadfather
01-14-2010, 09:56 PM
i like navvaro boweman from penn state if mclain is gone. dont know if that would be a reach though.

Austin Tatious
01-14-2010, 10:13 PM
Weatherspoon is absolutely a top 15 talent. Full stop. Sean has rare quickness, agility, and overall athleticism for an ILB. ILB's with his size/speed ratio do not come along very often.

He will not be a bust. The kid projects predictably and he will be a good NFL player, and probably a pro bowler. Lumbering ILB's are a dime a dozen. There are plenty of big, physical ILB's every year. But there are not guys with Weatherspoon's skill set. This kid will make plays. Winning plays. INT's. Sacks. Coverage. Big hits. He is exactly what Miami needs.