PDA

View Full Version : To All of you Randy Shannon Fluffers...

JCane
01-10-2010, 06:30 PM
...it's storytime with JCane. So, pull up a seat and check your Kool-Aid at the door.

All I hear is give the man time, let him get his golden recruiting class out the door, and my personal favorite, he's a great recruiter....and I'll address this later.

But we've seen Shannon get bulldozed by Frank Beamer and the Hokies this season. We watched Yabba Dabo Doo-Doo and Clemson come to Miami and beat us with inferior talent. And once again, Butch Davis ran coaching circles around Randy Shannon. But...but...JCane, Jacory Harris threw FOUR interceptions in that game...you can't blame Rarry Shoker!

LOL...I watched Mike Kafka of Northwestern turn the ball over FIVE times to SEC Auburn and still be in a position to win that football game in overtime. Northwestern would have pushed that game to a second overtime had they just kicked the field goal and tied the game as opposed to faking the field goal. But I can't blame Northwestern for trying to win. They're Northwestern and Auburn is Auburn.

So why is nerd school Northwestern able to hang with the great SEC Auburn and traditional football powerhouse Miami can't hang with basketball school North Carolina? Simple. Coaching. Pat Fitzgerald is a football coach. Randy Shannon is not. By the way, did I mention that Northwestern was able to overcome 14 point deficits TWICE against a more physical Auburn defense to get that game to overtime?

How many more kids are going to have to transfer from the University of Miami because Shannon FAILS to RECRUIT the positions he needs and then tries to strongarm kids playing other positions into playing positions they never wanted to play when being recruited here? And then when these kids transfer because of this *******, they're called ***** and *******. I for one am sick of this clown pulling this garbage on these innocent kids. These kids get killed for transferring by fans, media, and recruiting sites and this idiot Shanzook gets a free pass. I've had enough of this filth at Miami. It's pathetic. This incompetent gutterball is setting this program on fire and some of you want to give him more time.

Shoker has also told Damien Berry that he "needs to learn the playbook more." Damien Berry then proceeds to pull out his playbook and ask Shannon to ask him anything about the playbook. Shannon was left with nothing else to say other than, "this isn't the time." Shannon also told Berry that he has put him on the bench to "see how he would respond."

I am fuming angry right now. And I hope many of you are equally as angry or at least disappointed. I love this program. I love this school. I love this city. It's in my blood. And I know many of you feel the same way so it's time to put that Kool-Aid down. I'll drink gasoline before I drink that Shannon Kool-Aid again. I give too much of my time and money to this program to sit quietly. I'm exposing this fraud anyway I can. There's not much that is said or goes on inside the walls of the Hecht that doesn't find its way to me. So spread the word. Stop giving your money to this program if you do so. Email Kirby Hocutt and voice your displeasure. Copy Jim Frevola. Copy Donna Shalala. Let your friends know.

Fire this man.

Ricky_Fan34
01-10-2010, 06:31 PM
ahhahaha. I didn't even read the thread, seeing how as I'm not a huge Miami fan. But I can't get enough of JCane hating on Randy Shannon... Keep it up! haha.

CedarPhin
01-10-2010, 08:56 PM
Agree 100% about Blandy Shantard.

But hey, we just got a recruit and beat out the powerhouses of Portland State, San Jose State, and Fresno State to get him.

Had another guy de-commit and go to Maryland too.

Stellar.

JCane
01-10-2010, 09:03 PM
Agree 100% about Blandy Shantard.

But hey, we just got a recruit and beat out the powerhouses of Portland State, San Jose State, and Fresno State to get him.

Had another guy de-commit and go to Maryland too.

Stellar.

Yeah, forgot about that.

MARYLAND. We had a guy say, "Eff Miami...I'm going to Maryland!"

:lol:

CedarPhin
01-10-2010, 09:13 PM
We can't get O-linemen/D-linemen, but we've got a 200000th RB coming in.

We can't be beat.

JCane
01-10-2010, 09:15 PM
We should start a poll.

Which RB will the Shamster force to play right guard?

CedarPhin
01-10-2010, 09:21 PM
Gotta get one to play the QB position after Harris leaves or is knocked out for awhile because our O-line isn't much better than a JV-caliber, one to play the RB position, and maybe one or two along the O-line.

We could be the first team in history to start 10 or so RBs.

CedarPhin
01-10-2010, 09:22 PM
Speaking of the QB position.

Behind Harris, it looks bleaker than the Sahara.

Stellar job by Blandy there too.

kpcane
01-10-2010, 10:03 PM
Yeah, forgot about that.

MARYLAND. We had a guy say, "Eff Miami...I'm going to Maryland!"

:lol:

Really? I heard it was a test scores issue.

Doesn't really make sense for any competitive person to play football at Maryland over Miami.

kpcane
01-10-2010, 10:09 PM
We can't get O-linemen/D-linemen, but we've got a 200000th RB coming in.

We can't be beat.

Isn't Brandon Linder one of the top O-line recruits in the country? And I've heard nothing but good things about Glenn, Feliciano, and McDermott. Bunche is another top recruit, and Barton, if nothing else, is from STA. I'm disappointed with our current DL commits, but that could change by the time signing day rolls around.

And as for RB's - isn't Eduardo one of (if not) the top backs in South Florida? Isn't Storm Johnson supposed to be pretty good? Didn't we bring in Lamar Miller and Mike James last year?

I know you don't respond to people when your blatherings are turned on their head, but I'd love to hear what in the world you're actually talking about.

JCane
01-10-2010, 11:58 PM
Isn't Brandon Linder one of the top O-line recruits in the country? And I've heard nothing but good things about Glenn, Feliciano, and McDermott. Bunche is another top recruit, and Barton, if nothing else, is from STA. I'm disappointed with our current DL commits, but that could change by the time signing day rolls around.

And as for RB's - isn't Eduardo one of (if not) the top backs in South Florida? Isn't Storm Johnson supposed to be pretty good? Didn't we bring in Lamar Miller and Mike James last year?

I know you don't respond to people when your blatherings are turned on their head, but I'd love to hear what in the world you're actually talking about.

That's the problem. You're disappointed with our DL commits and we all know that's a glaring issue with our team. He's brought in all of these players at ONE position and neglects other positions. And then when he doesn't have anyone at certain positions, he scrambles and strongarms kids to play positions they don't want to. So now we have no push from our front four, no pressure on the QB, and teams attack our secondary polluted with wide receivers lol.

Every single year we see kids transfer and then get bad mouthed. Where does it end? We lost Jermaine McKenzie, Shawnbrey McNeal, Taylor Cook, Cannon Smith, Lee Chambers is probably gone, and it doesn't look good for Kendall Thompkins. We EASILY had the deepest wide receiver core in the country last season. We have so many receivers that these "STUDS" we keep recruiting can't crack the depth chart and then they're asked to move positions. It's not fair.

That's not a great recruiter.

CedarPhin
01-11-2010, 12:23 AM

Missed my point.

We've got issues on the DL, don't recruit there. We've got some studs at RB and are loaded at that position, yet what do we keep on adding to? The DL right? Nope. The RB position, where we need no help at all currently.

You know, I'd love to respond to every single one of your condescending quips, but I'm not always in front of a computer to do so.

Keep drinkin' the Kool-Aid.

kpcane
01-11-2010, 12:26 AM
That's the problem. You're disappointed with our DL commits and we all know that's a glaring issue with our team. He's brought in all of these players at ONE position and neglects other positions. And then when he doesn't have anyone at certain positions, he scrambles and strongarms kids to play positions they don't want to. So now we have no push from our front four, no pressure on the QB, and teams attack our secondary polluted with wide receivers lol.

Every single year we see kids transfer and then get bad mouthed. Where does it end? We lost Jermaine McKenzie, Shawnbrey McNeal, Taylor Cook, Cannon Smith, Lee Chambers is probably gone, and it doesn't look good for Kendall Thompkins. We EASILY had the deepest wide receiver core in the country last season. We have so many receivers that these "STUDS" we keep recruiting can't crack the depth chart and then they're asked to move positions. It's not fair.

That's not a great recruiter.

Randy didn't neglect the DT position. He had Nix and Chandler committed. If we get no one else, then it's a disappointment. There's still a few guys left that could commit to us, and this would be a moot point. If we ended up with Whittaker, Thornton, Ferguson, and Lemonier we'd be singing a different tune.

I don't know that anyone you mentioned was bad-mouthed, except maybe the QB's, but that was more because of when they left, and not why they left. For example, Aaron Corp waited until the end of the year to transfer from USC, not a week before the first game of the year.

And what WR studs do we have that can't crack the depth chart?? It wasn't too long ago when everyone was crying about how we didn't have any receivers, and now we have too many? I don't think people understand that it was pretty much like starting from scratch with Randy. All you have to do, and I really don't understand why you guys cannot grasp this simple point, is look at the graduating seniors. There's nobody. What did we have 1 guy drafted in the entire draft last year? And we'll have what, 1 or 2 this year? But no, this is Randy's fault. And when Allen Bailey, Leonard Hankerson, Damien Berry, and Colin McCarthy are all first day picks in the 2011 draft, that will not be a big deal to anyone.

JCane
01-11-2010, 12:34 AM
Tommy Streeter can't crack the depth chart. He's had very little playing time. Davon Johnson can't. Kendall Thompkins obviously can't. Jermaine McKenzie gave up and left.

Randy Shannon lost Nix to Notre Dame when Notre Dame didn't have a head coach. He lost Chandler from the Miami Northwestern pipeline to effing FIU.

kpcane
01-11-2010, 12:34 AM
Missed my point.

We've got issues on the DL, don't recruit there. We've got some studs at RB and are loaded at that position, yet what do we keep on adding to? The DL right? Nope. The RB position, where we need no help at all currently.

You know, I'd love to respond to every single one of your condescending quips, but I'm not always in front of a computer to do so.

Keep drinkin' the Kool-Aid.

If your point was the DL, why did you mention the OL?

And if we weren't recruiting the DL then how could we have had 2 of the top DT's in the country de-commit? I thought players had to be recruited, and commit to a school, before they could de-commit. But apparently that's not the case.

kpcane
01-11-2010, 12:36 AM
Tommy Streeter can't crack the depth chart. He's had very little playing time. Davon Johnson can't. Kendall Thompkins obviously can't. Jermaine McKenzie gave up and left.

Randy Shannon lost Nix to Notre Dame when Notre Dame didn't have a head coach. He lost Chandler from the Miami Northwestern pipeline to effing FIU.

Dude, you have become really disappointing to me. You used to be one of my favorite posters on here.

JCane
01-11-2010, 12:38 AM
Dude, you have become really disappointing to me. You used to be one of my favorite posters on here.

It's not hard to see man. I'm sorry. I like Shannon as a person. He's done great things as a Hurricane. I've got a lot of respect for Shannon. But he's not gonna take us back to where we need to be. You can recruit all you want. You can land five-star after five-star. But you gotta be able to win with them in the end. That's what it's all about.

chrisbaucom
01-11-2010, 10:03 AM
There are two sides to every story. Sounds like you're getting the story from the player's perspective only, which is just ridiculous. Maybe Kendall Thompkins isn't good enough to play WR at this level? Maybe Whipple told Shannon Damien Berry didn't know the playbook well enough and missed some assignments and needed to be sat? Maybe he said Damien didn't practice hard enough in spring or throughout the season? Are you telling us that Shannon is flat out telling Whipple not to play guys like Streeter, Johnson, and Thompkins? If these guys are that good, it sounds like you are saying Shannon has a vendetta against them and doesn't want them to succeed. Skill positions are all alike, when enough games aren't being won, the most popular guys are always the backups.

How many butt hurt kids are there playing college football right now? They all think their better than the other guy, and when a coach essentially tells them they're not, by not playing them, they start talking and telling stories. This happens at every school in the country, and most of the time it's just kids being pissed that they're not the center of attention anymore.

Shannon doesn't get a pass, he is not blame free by any means. I don't know if he should be here past next year. But what I will do, is give him his 4th year and let his first recruiting class become seniors and see what happens. 2 game improvements each year is ok, but it has been overshadowed by the Urban Meyer's and Nick Saban's of the world who win and win quick. It's pretty ridiculous to compare Shannon to the 2 best coaches in the country when the situations were completely different. Both of those guys inhereited pretty decent talent, Coker left the cupboards so bare it's not even funny. All you have to do is take a look at the recruiting classes from 2004 and 2005 to realize what Shannon had as upperclassmen in his first year on the job, it was truly awful.

Kdawg954
01-11-2010, 12:54 PM
I understand being puzzled by the LACK of big name recruits . . . but the OLine class he is putting together has ALOT of potential, and lets face it . . . we needed OLine more than anything else.

We are LOADED at RB and WR. We have young capable guys in our secondary, at LB and on the DLine . . . . Randy needed a class like this . . . next year is when he will have to reload at the skill positions.

kpcane
01-11-2010, 03:37 PM
It's not hard to see man. I'm sorry. I like Shannon as a person. He's done great things as a Hurricane. I've got a lot of respect for Shannon. But he's not gonna take us back to where we need to be. You can recruit all you want. You can land five-star after five-star. But you gotta be able to win with them in the end. That's what it's all about.

It's not what your opinion of Randy is. It's that you try to purposely mislead people. Among other things, do you really think that Todd Chandler is going to FIU because Mario Cristobal outrecruited Randy Shannon? And Davon Johnson is really a stud? Tommy Streeter is very good, but he was a freshman last year. If he's good enough, he'll take over for Laron Byrd, who I don't think is ultra-talented. It's good to have that kind of depth. And Kendall Thompkins was nowhere near a stud recruit. He may turn out to be a very good, Roscoe Parrish-type slot receiver, but let's not act like he was any kind of 'stud' coming in. I think he was a 2 star, if I'm not mistaken. He knew the depth chart, he should have expected the possibility that there were going to be several players better than him. But don't get me wrong, I think Thompkins is one of the good ones, and I think he should stay at WR, but I'm not the coach. If I were the coach I'd have Hankerson at flanker, AJ at split end, TB in the slot, and KT as the 4th receiver. And it won't really break our backs if KT leaves, Thearon Collier and Davon Johnson are pretty good.

JCane
01-12-2010, 12:12 AM
I have hardly spoke to any players this season. I spoke to Damien Berry for roughly two minutes a couple of hours prior to the Florida State game in Tallahassee. I spoke to Darryl Sharpton sometime after the USF game. That's it.

But you guys are missing the point here. Why are we recruiting 10 kids at one position and 1 at another? And then when we're so thin at this position, we force this kid over to that position. It's not fair to these kids. That's what it's all about. It's about these kids. These kids come here wanting to play and wanting to play the position they played in high school.

Which brings me to my next point. Damien Berry. Shannon moved him over to DB and Damien Berry didn't complain. Berry just agreed and moved on. He didn't like it, but like I said before, he's a good kid who keeps his mouth shut and doesn't talk back. Now look. Damien is back at his natural position and the position he came to Miami to play. Everyone here knows that we're a beter, more aggressive offense when Damien is in the game. Why is it so hard for Shannon to see that Damien Berry needs to be the starter and get 95% of the carries? There's no denying that.

And I'd love to hear who I've purposely mislead.

chrisbaucom
01-12-2010, 03:32 PM
I'm not saying you misled anyone. I just think there are two sides to every story, and then the actual truth which is somewhere in the middle. I'm not calling you a liar, I think your information is good and I enjoy reading it, I just like a little discussion.

Wasn't Damien Berry recruited as a DB to the U? According to Rivals he was the 7th ranked safety prospect in the state of florida in 2007. Unless he was flat out lied to, it should have come as no surprise that he was playing safety his freshman year and then moved to running back.

I will agree with you that this offense looks really good when Damien is playing, and I hope he is the "feature" back next year. I don't think the d-line is in as dire of a situation as some others may. Look at the guys coming back on the d-line as opposed to that garbage o-line we trotted out on the field last year:

Regis, Vernon, Dye, Ojomo, Lewis, Forston, Hardin, Porter, Holmes, Bailey, Smith, Robinson and then Tavadius Glenn coming in. Not 100% sure that Todd Chandler won't be a part of this class before all is said and done.

The o-line this year clearly needed to be a priority

kpcane
01-12-2010, 05:38 PM
And I'd love to hear who I've purposely mislead.

Well, let's ask everyone then.

Who believes that Louis Nix 'chose' Notre Dame over Miami?

And who believes that Todd Chandler is going to FIU, and that if he is, he's going because Mario Cristobal outrecruited Shannon to get him?

If no one answers yes, then I guess everyone saw right through that BS. I'm pretty sure that even you don't believe that, which is why it's called purposely misleading.

JCane
01-12-2010, 06:34 PM
Well, let's ask everyone then.

Who believes that Louis Nix 'chose' Notre Dame over Miami?

And who believes that Todd Chandler is going to FIU, and that if he is, he's going because Mario Cristobal outrecruited Shannon to get him?

If no one answers yes, then I guess everyone saw right through that BS. I'm pretty sure that even you don't believe that, which is why it's called purposely misleading.

It is absolute FACT Louis Nix chose Notre Dame. He had the grades. He had everything. He chose Notre Dame. I remember speaking with his DC at a tailgate this season—I believe it was the Virginia game—he said we had nothing to worry about. Shortly after that, Louis decides he's going to Notre Dame.

Nix's coach tailgates with us at every home game. There's no reason for me or anyone to question his info on Louis Nix and his commitment. Everyone wanted Nix at Miami and I think Nix simply didn't want to disappoint but his heart was at Notre Dame. That's the reality of that situation.

I'll find out more about Chandler.

kpcane
01-12-2010, 07:53 PM
It is absolute FACT Louis Nix chose Notre Dame. He had the grades. He had everything. He chose Notre Dame. I remember speaking with his DC at a tailgate this season—I believe it was the Virginia game—he said we had nothing to worry about. Shortly after that, Louis decides he's going to Notre Dame.

Nix's coach tailgates with us at every home game. There's no reason for me or anyone to question his info on Louis Nix and his commitment. Everyone wanted Nix at Miami and I think Nix simply didn't want to disappoint but his heart was at Notre Dame. That's the reality of that situation.

I'll find out more about Chandler.

That doesn't make a lick of sense. The coach says we have 'nothing to worry about', and then Nix shortly thereafter 'picks' another school? I guess it's similar to Bryce Brown last year, when we had 'nothing to worry about', and then he 'picks' Tennessee. The only FACT is, that none of us REALLY know what happened, because not one of us is Randy Shannon or Clint Hurtt, I don't care what kind of connections you have. You might get a lot of inside information, but it's literally impossible to get all of it.

Rumor is Shannon withdrew the offer after Nix took numerous trips up to South Bend on his own dime. And even bigger rumor is that Nix got a nice little 'sign-on bonus' of 30K.

JCane
01-12-2010, 08:21 PM
I don't know anything about any sign-on bonus. And no, I don't know everything. Never have never will. The offer was not withdrawn. That I do know. There's no way his coach tells me we have nothing to worry about and then Nix decommitts and heads North. Nix officially decommitted.

It does seem similar to the Bryce Brown situation but Bryce Brown's offer expired and he was never issued another one. When it came time to pick a school, Bryce did not have an offer from Miami to sign. Shannon made that clear. If Nix had his offer withdrawn, why wouldn't Shannon again protect himself by saying so? Nix's coach was very disappointed and very upset with how he handled the situation. That's all I know. I have no reason to not trust that source.

But now we see Randy Shannon scrambling for defensive recruits. Much like Coker, he didn't have a backup plan. I'm not blaming Shannon for that because this is the reality of the cutthroart industry that is college football recruiting. These are kids and we often forget that. Kids don't know what they're doing sometimes. They say one thing and do another. But I'm told Shannon has recruited some undersized lineman out of Miami Beach who even Rivals has never heard of.

Todd Chandler went to South Florida; not FIU. I believe I said FIU orginally but even still. You can't lose backyard recruits to rival schools like USF. Todd Chandler and Marcus Forston are really close and both came from the Miami Northwestern pipeline that has fed this program for years. We've lost Todd Chandler from that school. Kendall Thompkins will probably bolt. Shannon probably won't be able to land Michalee Harris even though I feel he isn't nor should be a priority this seaon. Torrian Wilson doesn't even have an offer.

All we talked about last year was how loaded this class was going to be because of all the talent in the South Florida area. It's ridiculous how much talent is here this season. It's some of the deepest I've seen in years. And how disappointed are we with the results of this class when National Signing Day is just under a month away? I'm not too thrilled about it. The only hope we have is for a big recruiting weekend when the Pro Bowl is in town. It's the weekend before National Signing Day. And I can't understand why Shannon doesn't hold some weekend event for big name recruits like the Seminoles and Gators do. Kids come out of those weekends raving about those programs. And Florida State uses those weekends to land kids like Jeff Luc. And Florida lands guys like Matt Elam. And we don't have any of that stuff that recruits crave...why?

CedarPhin
01-12-2010, 08:42 PM
Seems like we've barely gotten any of the top guys from SoFla this year, save for a few.

Navarro had a nice piece about it:

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/umiami/2010/01/is-um-fading-down-the-recruiting-stretch.html

Awsi Dooger
01-13-2010, 07:04 PM
Very good info by JCane, beating the Herald by several days. I saw the blurb about Shannon asking Kendall Thompkins to switch to defense in Barry Jackson's column.

For some reason the OP was edited to exclude that segment, but it held up.

CedarPhin
01-13-2010, 07:17 PM
JCane is a great source of info for all-things 'Canes.

CedarPhin
01-13-2010, 07:17 PM
Nice heads up on that J. Clearly though, you were trying to purposely mislead people...oh wait.....

CedarPhin
01-13-2010, 07:26 PM
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/basketball/v-print/story/1421953.html

• UM players say Randy Shannon told Kendal Thompkins to move from receiver to defensive back. Players said Thompkins is a great slot receiver -- even though he's behind Thearon Collier -- and at least one teammate has advised him to transfer instead of accepting a position switch.

From today's Herald.

chrisbaucom
01-13-2010, 07:59 PM
It's so ridiculously obvious how some on this website just flat out don't like Randy Shannon or any decision he makes.

If Kendall Thompkins was so good, why can't he beat out Collier? Why isn't Whipple saying no, don't take Thompkins to defense? I don't care what some second rate reporter from the Herald says, or what some other player says who's probably pissed because he's not playing either.

CedarPhin
01-13-2010, 08:00 PM
Everyone has a right to their opinion.

By your same post, I could also say "It's amazing how many people support Shannon and every decision he makes." Not only that, but using extreme language such as "every".

I liked his decision to bring in Whipple. I liked when he ****canned Walton after year one. Just because he's the coach doesn't mean that people have to follow everything he does. It's part of being a fan. You can be skeptical and disagree with the coach.

People didn't like Coker, and were told they weren't fans because Coker was the goods. Obviously, Coker wasn't.

Hell, take the main forums here. Some people think Sparano is an incompetent boob. Does that make them any less of Dolphins fans? No. They just don't agree with his decisions.

It's all subjective. Some people see Shannon as fantastic, and some see him as not so great. Just comes with the territory.

kpcane
01-13-2010, 08:05 PM
I don't know anything about any sign-on bonus. And no, I don't know everything. Never have never will. The offer was not withdrawn. That I do know. There's no way his coach tells me we have nothing to worry about and then Nix decommitts and heads North. Nix officially decommitted.

It does seem similar to the Bryce Brown situation but Bryce Brown's offer expired and he was never issued another one. When it came time to pick a school, Bryce did not have an offer from Miami to sign. Shannon made that clear. If Nix had his offer withdrawn, why wouldn't Shannon again protect himself by saying so? Nix's coach was very disappointed and very upset with how he handled the situation. That's all I know. I have no reason to not trust that source.

All we talked about last year was how loaded this class was going to be because of all the talent in the South Florida area. It's ridiculous how much talent is here this season. It's some of the deepest I've seen in years. And how disappointed are we with the results of this class when National Signing Day is just under a month away? I'm not too thrilled about it. The only hope we have is for a big recruiting weekend when the Pro Bowl is in town. It's the weekend before National Signing Day. And I can't understand why Shannon doesn't hold some weekend event for big name recruits like the Seminoles and Gators do. Kids come out of those weekends raving about those programs. And Florida State uses those weekends to land kids like Jeff Luc. And Florida lands guys like Matt Elam. And we don't have any of that stuff that recruits crave...why?

J - here's what doesn't make sense. Coach says we have nothing to worry about, but player ends up leaving. So is it because the player wasn't telling the coach everything? If that's the case, the coach then becomes an unreliable source, because even he does NOT know what's going on. I'm sure the coach really did think Nix was going there, but something doesn't add up, and like I said, I don't think any of us really know what happened with him. And I really don't blame Randy for losing him.
But I'm also disappointed with the recruiting class to an extent. I think we needed a very strong QB recruit, which we didn't get. We obviously need defensive line help and secondary help, neither of which I'm sure we got. But the thing is, we did get some players there. And although I think recruiting services are probably better now than they were 10 years ago, just remember the type of players we got before, that were also relative unknowns.
The second Shannon starts getting the same results, or lesser results, is when his job will begin to be in jeopardy. Hocutt is very likely to give him at least 2010 and 2011 to get us back in the BCS.

kpcane
01-13-2010, 08:08 PM
Nice heads up on that J. Clearly though, you were trying to purposely mislead people...oh wait.....

I don't know why you, a moderator, is trying so much to create animosity here, but I think I was rather clear in two separate posts about what JCane said that was misleading, and it's been settled. Had nothing to do with the Thompkins/Berry situation, and had nothing to do with you.

JCane
01-13-2010, 08:13 PM
Very good info by JCane, beating the Herald by several days. I saw the blurb about Shannon asking Kendall Thompkins to switch to defense in Barry Jackson's column.

For some reason the OP was edited to exclude that segment, but it held up.

I had to. There are some things that I hear that I can't share and there are some things I hear that probably shouldn't be shared but I do it anyway. This was one of those that I probably should have left a lid on. I didn't really think it mattered because as we all know, this isn't the first time Shannon has strongarmed a kid into changing positions.

Somehow, this information made its way over to CaneSport. I doubt that anyone from FinHeaven took this info to CaneSport but once Ferman's gang got ahold of it, the info spread like wildfire and I got a call. I'm sure someone else got the same information I did and someone told somone who told someone and then it blows up. It always blows up but usually by that time the Herald, Sun-Sentinel, etc., have their hands on it as well and it doesn't matter.

The school actually has a couple of people who monitor these boards all day. They monitor Scout, Rivals, ITU, and other boards with proclaimed inside information. That's why I edited my original post to exclude that particular segment.

I'm never gonna come here and just drop my opinion and try to sell it off as the truth and mislead anyone. That's not what I'm about, guys. I'm just sick of seeing this program that I grew up with and love so much drown in mediocrity. I'm very vocal about that.

This program should have high standards and right now I don't feel very confident in the programs current standards. I'm tired of seeing other programs such as USC and Alabama make explosive hires while we standby and "settle" for midde of the pack coaches. I had high hopes for Shannon when he was first named the head coach at Miami. But I haven't seen anythng from him that makes me really believe he'll take us back. In his first season I watched him do nothing with bad football players and gave him a pass. Now, I'm watching him take some great athletes and put an average product on the field in a conference we should win every other year on average based on athlete v. athelete.

chrisbaucom
01-13-2010, 08:17 PM
I don't see him as either fantastic, or as an incompetent boob. These UM threads are all turning into bashing of Randy and it's just crazy.

I see your point Cedar and appreciate your opinion, but there is some blatant dislike for Randy on this site and it's ridiculous.

CedarPhin
01-13-2010, 08:19 PM
You may not like it man, but it's the nature of fans. They either like a guy or they don't. They shouldn't be penalized for their opinion.

It's America, not Syria.

chrisbaucom
01-13-2010, 08:19 PM
Who else did he strong arm into changing positions JCane?

JCane
01-13-2010, 08:23 PM
It's so ridiculously obvious how some on this website just flat out don't like Randy Shannon or any decision he makes.

If Kendall Thompkins was so good, why can't he beat out Collier? Why isn't Whipple saying no, don't take Thompkins to defense? I don't care what some second rate reporter from the Herald says, or what some other player says who's probably pissed because he's not playing either.

That's not the issue here. Who cares if Thompkins can't play a lick at wide receiver. This issue is Shannon forcing these kids to take roles they don't want to take because they were recruited at other positions by Miami and other big name schools. If you recall, Thompkins was dead set on Nebraska. We all know how Shannon plays his favoites and gives more playing time to guys with seniority no matter if the Freshman is better than the Junior. That's Shannon's MO. There's no arguing that.

It would be different if this was an isolated case and Thompkins didn't want to do it, but Shannon has done this numerous times and it WILL affect future recruiting. You gotta look big picture here. If I can see it and I'm just some Monday morning QB, what do you think coaches tell these recruits on the recruiting trail about Shannon and his philosophies when they have example after example to point to?

That's all I'm saying. Forget about whether or not Thompkins can play. Besides, Thompkins has never played a meaningful down on the defensive side of the football. Why would we convert him like that? Sam Shields was terrible at both posistions. Damien Berry wasn't that great at DB. Damien Berry is the best player on the field when he's in the game. We all see it. But again, Shannon's philosophies of playing the more senior athletes and his 'doghouse' is holding this team back. And I really think that Shannon has a personal vendetta against Berry's father from way back when. It would not surprise me at all.

JCane
01-13-2010, 08:30 PM
J - here's what doesn't make sense. Coach says we have nothing to worry about, but player ends up leaving. So is it because the player wasn't telling the coach everything? If that's the case, the coach then becomes an unreliable source, because even he does NOT know what's going on. I'm sure the coach really did think Nix was going there, but something doesn't add up, and like I said, I don't think any of us really know what happened with him. And I really don't blame Randy for losing him.
But I'm also disappointed with the recruiting class to an extent. I think we needed a very strong QB recruit, which we didn't get. We obviously need defensive line help and secondary help, neither of which I'm sure we got. But the thing is, we did get some players there. And although I think recruiting services are probably better now than they were 10 years ago, just remember the type of players we got before, that were also relative unknowns.
The second Shannon starts getting the same results, or lesser results, is when his job will begin to be in jeopardy. Hocutt is very likely to give him at least 2010 and 2011 to get us back in the BCS.

Obviously, Nix wasn't being 100% honest with his coaches which is a big no-no in recruiting. If players aren't going to be 100% honest and backtrack, a lot of times coaches will become less helpful. We all seen how ugly the Marve situation became.

Speaking of QB recruits, how about this Marcoux kid who came down for some game (I forget what it was) and throws like four or five touchdown and leaves South Florida with several offers and not one from Miami. Incredible.

And from what I'm told, Shannon's extension is on the table. 4 - 5 years @ $1.3 - $1.5 with a buyout that is VERY favorable to the University.

chrisbaucom
01-13-2010, 08:31 PM
Shannon recruited Berry so he could put him on the bench because he doesn't like Berry's dad? Berry was part of Shannon's first recruiting class, right?

CedarPhin
01-13-2010, 08:31 PM
Behind Harris, our QB position is pretty weak.

JCane
01-13-2010, 08:35 PM
I don't see him as either fantastic, or as an incompetent boob. These UM threads are all turning into bashing of Randy and it's just crazy.

I see your point Cedar and appreciate your opinion, but there is some blatant dislike for Randy on this site and it's ridiculous.

I'm just frustrated as all hell man. I'm calling it as I see it. I did the same thing midway thru Coker's third season. And this was after he was coming off a loss in the BCS title game against Ohio State. I started killing Coker. People called me crazy. I couldn't be satisfied. Coker had won one natonal title and should have won two and here I am talking about how he's in over his head and how the program would steadily erode. Sure enough everyone began to see it as well.

There's blatant dislike for Randy the coach. Not Randy the person because he is a great individual.

JCane
01-13-2010, 08:36 PM
Who else did he strong arm into changing positions JCane?

Damien Berry and Sam Shields are two that come to mind immediately. A lot of people don't know it but Sean Spence was played out of position all season as the strongside linebacker when he lacks the ideal size. That was Shannon's call as well.

JCane
01-13-2010, 08:37 PM
Shannon recruited Berry so he could put him on the bench because he doesn't like Berry's dad? Berry was part of Shannon's first recruiting class, right?

I'm pretty sure I've told the story of Shannon and Damien's father on here before, right?

CedarPhin
01-13-2010, 08:37 PM
The turning point for Coker came after the Tennessee game in 2003 for me. At 2004, I figured I'd let him go another season, then the UNC/Clemson losses happened.

He was dead to me then.

chrisbaucom
01-13-2010, 08:43 PM
Wasn't Damien Berry recruited here as a DB? And then he was moved to RB his sophomore year? He was ranked the #7 safety prospect in the state of FL according to Rivals. Yes, I do remember the story of Damien's father and Randy.

JCane
01-13-2010, 08:47 PM
Damien Berry was a stud running back in high school.

chrisbaucom
01-13-2010, 08:55 PM
And a pretty good DB as well. All major recruiting websites say he was recruited as a DB, not a RB. I agree with you that he is the best RB on this team, but he was supposedly a highly touted DB coming out of high school. LSU I believe was recruiting him to play safety as well. As far as Sam Shields goes, what is the saying about receivers who can't catch? They play defensive back. It's unfortunate he couldn't work out there either.

JCane
01-13-2010, 08:59 PM
We know Sam Shields can't play at wide receiver. How do we know Thompkins can't. He hasn't gotten any real burn at the position. And that kid showed out during the spring game.

CedarPhin
01-13-2010, 09:00 PM
Davon Johnson redshirted this year didn't he?

JCane
01-13-2010, 09:02 PM
Davon Johnson redshirted this year didn't he?

Not sure. Probably.

Awsi Dooger
01-15-2010, 04:11 PM
I had to. There are some things that I hear that I can't share and there are some things I hear that probably shouldn't be shared but I do it anyway. This was one of those that I probably should have left a lid on. I didn't really think it mattered because as we all know, this isn't the first time Shannon has strongarmed a kid into changing positions.

Somehow, this information made its way over to CaneSport. I doubt that anyone from FinHeaven took this info to CaneSport but once Ferman's gang got ahold of it, the info spread like wildfire and I got a call. I'm sure someone else got the same information I did and someone told somone who told someone and then it blows up. It always blows up but usually by that time the Herald, Sun-Sentinel, etc., have their hands on it as well and it doesn't matter.

The school actually has a couple of people who monitor these boards all day. They monitor Scout, Rivals, ITU, and other boards with proclaimed inside information. That's why I edited my original post to exclude that particular segment.

I'm never gonna come here and just drop my opinion and try to sell it off as the truth and mislead anyone. That's not what I'm about, guys. I'm just sick of seeing this program that I grew up with and love so much drown in mediocrity. I'm very vocal about that.

This program should have high standards and right now I don't feel very confident in the programs current standards. I'm tired of seeing other programs such as USC and Alabama make explosive hires while we standby and "settle" for midde of the pack coaches. I had high hopes for Shannon when he was first named the head coach at Miami. But I haven't seen anythng from him that makes me really believe he'll take us back. In his first season I watched him do nothing with bad football players and gave him a pass. Now, I'm watching him take some great athletes and put an average product on the field in a conference we should win every other year on average based on athlete v. athelete.

JCane, let me emphasize I didn't take your Thompkins info to Canesport. There was a thread a day or two ago on the main football forum, after the Herald article, and I replied, saying it had been mentioned several days earlier by a sharp poster on a Dolphins site. But I never mentioned it before that, and the topic had not come up on that free page.

I'm not a member of the premium board over there. Based on what I've gathered from other sites today, apparently your info did make it to the premium board, and rather quickly, several days before the Herald article. I do remember linking to this site many months ago on the Canesport free forum, saying there were a couple of guys with insight to the program. Perhaps that led some posters on Canesport to monitor this forum, similar to what the university does.

Regardless, I always appreciate your input. I generally share your opinion of Shannon. Difficult to be great when the coach doesn't demonstrate any hint of greatness. That puts an extreme burden on acquiring talent far superior to anyone else, which isn't realistic, although we've managed it before.