PDA

View Full Version : te rob gronkowski

hooshoops
01-14-2010, 05:19 PM
looks like he's coming out...and i'm interested...

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/14/arizona-te-to-do-the-nfl-leap/

greasyObnoxious
01-14-2010, 05:26 PM
strange decision, to be honst

ckparrothead
01-14-2010, 05:40 PM
That's definitely a boon for this TE class. I can't blame him at all. When the best TE in the class is a guy that never even played in 2009 because of an injury, then there's opportunity to be had. I like it.

skipp2myloo13
01-14-2010, 06:12 PM
So gresham, gronkowski, Pitta, Hernandez, Graham?

TedSlimmJr
01-14-2010, 11:11 PM
I think it's interesting when the two top TE's in the draft BOTH missed the season due to injury....

He must have gotten a good prognosis on his back...but I cant help but wonder what effects being 6'6" and blocking all the time is going to have on his back...

This could be one of these cases where one of the best talents in the draft never has his career take off before it even has a chance to get started.....back injuries don't just go away...

Supremely talented tight end...

ChadHenne
01-14-2010, 11:22 PM
Gronkokwski is a good, not anywhere near great or elite as a TE. Reminds me of a bigger Kevin Boss, which isn't necessarily bad, but not worth the first round pick some people are projecting. He should probably be a 3rd rounder.

CedarPhin
01-14-2010, 11:30 PM
I think Pitta would be a nice get, or even Graham as a project.

miami234ever
01-14-2010, 11:57 PM
I don't think Gronkowski will help this team out because we lack a receiving tight end, not a blocking one. Rob provides more blocking IMO. Anthony McCoy out of U.S.C. looks promising. I think we should be looking in the direction of McCoy, Hernandez, and Pita look to be the best receiving prospects available.

CedarPhin
01-15-2010, 01:17 AM
Jimmy Graham is the guy I wouldn't mind rolling the dice on.

Nick13
01-15-2010, 06:03 AM
I went to Arizona and watched every game Gronk played for the Wildcats. I think his decision to come out this year was a poor one, but I think he'll be a top 10 NFL TE. The poster who said he sees Gronk as more of a blocker obviously never has seen an Arizona game as U of A runs the spread offense which calls for him to be split off the line at times and incorporates only a minimal run game. Gronk is a receiving TE who CAN block. My biggest issue with him at the NFL level is that he uses his size and athleticism (of which he has a lion's share of both) to get open, his route running and football IQ are only so-so. He's definitely a 1st-2nd round pick, but might be a year or two away from being a real weapon in the passing game. I will say this though...he's a TOUGH guy to bring down, i've seen him drag no less than 5 defenders and still be moving the pile. If Miami picks him, it's not a bad pick by any means, but I think he needs another year of maturity and polishing before he'll be a premier NFL TE.

LikeUntoGod
01-15-2010, 11:44 AM
There is always 45 or so players that could go in the first round and 5 that will that no one though of.

I wish we had taken one of a couple of TEs last year.

We will not take a "pass catching TE", we want one that can block.

Austin Tatious
01-15-2010, 01:14 PM
Don't underestimate the trifecta's emphasis on TE's. Keep in mind that Parcells brought in Witten to Dallas. Bavaro caught the football too. They already had Witten and then put another high pick on Fasano.

I think they have the blockers they want in Fasano and Haynos. But I absolutely expect them to address TE, and I mean early. I would think Gronk would be on their short list.

Having a TE that can catch the football will immensely help our young quarterback. I think it is imperative that we get a TE that can get open and catch the football.

Austin Tatious
01-15-2010, 01:15 PM
I went to Arizona and watched every game Gronk played for the Wildcats. I think his decision to come out this year was a poor one, but I think he'll be a top 10 NFL TE. The poster who said he sees Gronk as more of a blocker obviously never has seen an Arizona game as U of A runs the spread offense which calls for him to be split off the line at times and incorporates only a minimal run game. Gronk is a receiving TE who CAN block. My biggest issue with him at the NFL level is that he uses his size and athleticism (of which he has a lion's share of both) to get open, his route running and football IQ are only so-so. He's definitely a 1st-2nd round pick, but might be a year or two away from being a real weapon in the passing game. I will say this though...he's a TOUGH guy to bring down, i've seen him drag no less than 5 defenders and still be moving the pile. If Miami picks him, it's not a bad pick by any means, but I think he needs another year of maturity and polishing before he'll be a premier NFL TE.

Thanks for the info. How would you compare Gronk with Jason Witten? This may be a benefit to Miami if we can get Gronk as a value pick.

utahphinsfan
01-15-2010, 02:05 PM
I think Pitta would be a nice get, or even Graham as a project.

Pitta IMO is not as good as Harline who played collegiately w/ John Beck.

Jim Dray from Stanford really intrigues me (http://www.gostanford.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/dray_jim00.html)

Valandui
01-15-2010, 03:20 PM
Don't underestimate the trifecta's emphasis on TE's. Keep in mind that Parcells brought in Witten to Dallas. Bavaro caught the football too. They already had Witten and then put another high pick on Fasano.

I think they have the blockers they want in Fasano and Haynos. But I absolutely expect them to address TE, and I mean early. I would think Gronk would be on their short list.

Having a TE that can catch the football will immensely help our young quarterback. I think it is imperative that we get a TE that can get open and catch the football.
I think Parcells drafted at least one TE every season he was with Dallas. He has an obsession with them.

Nick13
01-15-2010, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the info. How would you compare Gronk with Jason Witten? This may be a benefit to Miami if we can get Gronk as a value pick.

It's not a bad comparison to Witten, Witten is a better vertical receiver and a more fluid (and probably faster) runner. Gronk however presents himself as a better target, he's really good at getting his shoulders parallel to the LOS and making himself a huge target for the QB. Gronk is more of a weapon across the middle in the 10-25 yard range, as well as in the redzone. However, he isn't the style of TE who is going to be running the deep route as he just hasn't shown the speed/stamina (to me) to sustain those kinds of routes. He'll be a nightmare for safeties to cover. LB's will be able to stay with him and limit his YAC, but he does a very good job of positioning himself between the ball and the defender preventing anyone jumping the route. He's a pretty smart player, unfortunately in college he only had to use his smarts on occasion as his physical ability was enough to make him effective 90% of the time, which concerns me going to the next level. As i said previously, his route running is questionable, but because of his size and positioning even if his route was sloppy or given away, he was athletic and physical enough to make up for it.

If Miami picks him, I'd be very happy, but I think a lot of people would be disappointed with his first season as he transitions to the pro game. If we picked him he'd be a first or second rounder and so expectations will be high for immediate production. He'll get himself onto the field, but he might end up with a 30 catch, 430 yd 5 TD rookie season, Which is obviously an upgrade from what we're getting, but if we draft him 12 overall, you gotta think everyone is going to be looking for a 55 catch 800 yard 10 td season.