PDA

View Full Version : It's Draft day and you're calling the shots....

KillerDolphins
01-17-2010, 12:58 AM
It's Draft Time and you're Jeff Ireland.......
The Following players are left on your Draft board...... You know that you're going defense. You just get a text from Bill saying you can't go wrong with any of these kids and that he's leaving the decision in your hands....Now the million dollar question is who do you take and why???

LB Rolando McClain - An absolute wrecking ball, McClain solidified many opinions by winning this year’s Butkus Award for the nations’ top linebacker. Perhaps the most remarkable and eventually endearing to a happy NFL defensive coordinator isn’t his imposing size or explosiveness. Instead, it may be his mental grasp of the game such as quickly understanding new schemes. McClain is one of the more coachable prospects in the 2010 draft.

LB Sergio Kindle - Not many prospects draft position are as volatile as Mr. Kindle’s. A terrific pass-rusher when he’s running on all cylinders. His 2008 season was one of the best in the country for a junior linebacker. Kindle was named Second-team All Big 12 and Third-team All American in 2009 after being selected to the First-team for both lists last year. General Managers may consider his 2007 drunken driving suspension and that little texting-while-driving incident earlier this year when he smashed into an apartment complex. Now you know who to thank once texting while driving is made illegal for everybody in the near future.

SS/FS Earl Thomas - The fact that Thomas is a red-shirt sophomore and remains in the shadows of the higher-profile defensive backs Eric Berry and Taylor Mays is probably why he remains somewhat underrated. Thomas proved enough this season he’s got the playmaking ability to suit up on Sunday’s. His 8 interceptions this year were good for second in the country—and two of those were pick sixes.

DE Jason PierrePaul - With only one year of professional football under his belt can you imagine how much unrealized potential this Bull has? He shares a small part of the spotlight with teammate George Selvie but he just may be the most explosive defensive end in this draft. A JUCO transfer from Kansas and Florida native, JPP began grabbing some of his own headlines against FSU earlier this year. Disrupting the Seminoles backfield all day he didn’t let up after that game and his stock has continued to rise and he has continued to live up to the hype through the Bulls International Bowl dismantling over Northern Illinois. JPP is a prototypical—albeit raw—blend of size, strength, quickness and agility coaches only dream about plugging at the DE spot.

LB Brandon Spikes - Scouts have had their sights set on the senior linebacker since he exploded onto the scene as a sophomore earning First Team All-SEC recognition. His senior season has been clouded by the “eye-gouging” incident against Georgia. Spikes has prototypical middle linebacker size and can light up running backs with the best of them. The biggest factor keeping him out of the Top 10 or even comparisons to 49ers LB Patrick Willis is his speed. Should he time well at the combine look out for him to jump 5-10 spots.

Roman529
01-17-2010, 01:05 AM
If McClain is there you just pencil him in and forget about it. Nobody else is as good at the LB spot and this is where we most need help. If he is gone I am either trading down or taking Dez Bryant.

Nublar7
01-17-2010, 01:05 AM
McClain hands down at this point.

KillerDolphins
01-17-2010, 01:10 AM
Now just consider this for a second.... DE Jason PierrePaul....This kid fits the bill. Could you imagine the combination of him playing DE and LB. The kid has versatility, strength and speed to play OLB and DE. It would be like drafting 2 players but only getting one. Pierre Paul + Wake coming off the end would be un freaking real. I love McClain 2 but I have a feeling hes going to be gone.

COphinphan89
01-17-2010, 01:12 AM
Trade down and take whoever falls.

houtz
01-17-2010, 02:31 AM
Thoughts this would be a harder scenario to choose from. Guess not .

Astrosback
01-17-2010, 02:43 AM
C'mon man - take McClain out. There's nothing to think about if he's available.

Unless Dez Bryant is also available in which case I go with Dez over McClain.

But why is it such a lock that we're going defense?

Have we filled WR1 and is Dez there?

Have we filled RB1 b/c Ronnie didn't opt out? B/c if Ronnie is gone, I gotta also consider Spiller.

Overall, too much LB depth in this draft to take any-LB-not-named-McClain at 1.12.

*Demi*God*
01-17-2010, 12:43 PM
C'mon man - take McClain out. There's nothing to think about if he's available.

Unless Dez Bryant is also available in which case I go with Dez over McClain.

But why is it such a lock that we're going defense?

Have we filled WR1 and is Dez there?

Have we filled RB1 b/c Ronnie didn't opt out? B/c if Ronnie is gone, I gotta also consider Spiller.

Overall, too much LB depth in this draft to take any-LB-not-named-McClain at 1.12.

Last time we took a WR over a LB it hasnt worked out so well has it? IDK...

chrisbaucom
01-17-2010, 12:47 PM
McClain....not too many guys come out of college knowing the ins and outs of a 3-4 defense. There is usually a learning curve involved. He was the QB of the defense at alabama and is ready to step in and play now. Unfortunately everybody drafting in front of the phins knows this too.

NCFINFAN13
01-17-2010, 12:50 PM
If McClain is available it's the biggest no-brainer in the history of the world.

j-off-her-doll
01-17-2010, 12:56 PM
You should edit your post. Kindle is NOT a good pass rusher. He's a great athlete that might turn into an effective pass rusher.

I'm not too high on McClain. I think there are at least 3 ILB's that are about comparable to McClain, and the other 3 could very well be available in the 2nd, and two might even fall to the 3rd. On the draft board, people have noted that Witherspoon could well be the best ILB in the draft. If we could get him in the 2nd - I wouldn't bank on it - he'd absolutely be a MUCH better value than McClain. Even if we traded back and took Witherspoon in the late 1st, he'd be the better value.

Of those options, Thomas is by far the best choice.

D. Bryant could be there at 12, and he'd be BPA.

Also, people were talking about Dunlap as a top-6 pick before his drunken slumber behind the wheel. I don't know that he's worth the risk at 12, but he's a better talent than anyone you have listed (with the possible exception of Thomas), and I can see him working well as a SSOLB.

After that, you have Spiller. I don't love him at #12, but he's an interesting option.

X-Pacolypse
01-17-2010, 01:29 PM
It's McClain. I would personally sprint all the way up to NYC to hand in the card.

Phantom
01-17-2010, 01:53 PM
I am taking the best playmaker available, this team has 0 impact players.

IndyFinFan
01-17-2010, 01:59 PM
McClain,I would consider trading down but someone would have to make it a sweet deal for me to not take him @ 12. The only player right now I would take ahead of him would be Berry.

skipp2myloo13
01-17-2010, 02:00 PM
they meant trading down cause McClain will be gone.

Astrosback
01-17-2010, 02:19 PM

Point taken but we're not talking Teddy Ginn. Dez Bryant is the real deal. It'd be a tough call (Dez vs. McClain) and I'd be happy with either but it's nothing like reaching for Ginn when Patrick Willis was there.

Anyway, the point is that this decision should be between McClain, Dez and Spiller if by some stoke of luck they're all available. Not between McClain and a bunch of lesser DE/OLBs who we could get comparable talent to in round 2.

Ask who we'd take if McCalin and Dez are both there or McCalin, Dez and Spiller (assuming Ronnie was tendered/traded) and then you've got a thread!

skipp2myloo13
01-17-2010, 02:25 PM
That was such a bad point, Demi. Should we always take a michigan Qb because the last time every team passed on a qb from michigan 5 and a half times they really got screwed because he was Tom Brady. Taking Ginn was a bad move, EVERYONE KNEW IT! Not a single educated fan thought that was a smart move because we were run by idiots. I really dont fear making such a monumental mistake like that again.

utahphinsfan
01-17-2010, 03:16 PM
Now just consider this for a second.... DE Jason PierrePaul....This kid fits the bill. Could you imagine the combination of him playing DE and LB. The kid has versatility, strength and speed to play OLB and DE. It would be like drafting 2 players but only getting one. Pierre Paul + Wake coming off the end would be un freaking real. I love McClain 2 but I have a feeling hes going to be gone.

Completely agreed.

DaDolfan25
01-17-2010, 03:27 PM
i would love mclain, but would not be upset at all if we chose earl thomas. both players play a position of need and they are low risk high reward type of players. 12 is way too high for spikes and this is coming from a gator fan. paul from usf just seems too raw and too much of a risk for this team at this point.

R_t_Kraken
01-17-2010, 04:20 PM
1. Pick 12 Dez Bryant WR Oklahoma St.
2. Pick 43 Brandon Spikes ILB Florida
3. Pick 74 Eric Norwood OLB/DE South Carolina
4. Pick 108 Garrett Graham TE Wisconsin

emeraldfin
01-17-2010, 04:28 PM
If McClain is there at 12,then he would be the choice, if not then Earl Thomas.

uga3406
01-17-2010, 04:41 PM
It's Draft Time and you're Jeff Ireland.......
The Following players are left on your Draft board...... You know that you're going defense. You just get a text from Bill saying you can't go wrong with any of these kids and that he's leaving the decision in your hands....Now the million dollar question is who do you take and why???

LB Rolando McClain - An absolute wrecking ball, McClain solidified many opinions by winning this year’s Butkus Award for the nations’ top linebacker. Perhaps the most remarkable and eventually endearing to a happy NFL defensive coordinator isn’t his imposing size or explosiveness. Instead, it may be his mental grasp of the game such as quickly understanding new schemes. McClain is one of the more coachable prospects in the 2010 draft.

LB Sergio Kindle - Not many prospects draft position are as volatile as Mr. Kindle’s. A terrific pass-rusher when he’s running on all cylinders. His 2008 season was one of the best in the country for a junior linebacker. Kindle was named Second-team All Big 12 and Third-team All American in 2009 after being selected to the First-team for both lists last year. General Managers may consider his 2007 drunken driving suspension and that little texting-while-driving incident earlier this year when he smashed into an apartment complex. Now you know who to thank once texting while driving is made illegal for everybody in the near future.

SS/FS Earl Thomas - The fact that Thomas is a red-shirt sophomore and remains in the shadows of the higher-profile defensive backs Eric Berry and Taylor Mays is probably why he remains somewhat underrated. Thomas proved enough this season he’s got the playmaking ability to suit up on Sunday’s. His 8 interceptions this year were good for second in the country—and two of those were pick sixes.

DE Jason PierrePaul - With only one year of professional football under his belt can you imagine how much unrealized potential this Bull has? He shares a small part of the spotlight with teammate George Selvie but he just may be the most explosive defensive end in this draft. A JUCO transfer from Kansas and Florida native, JPP began grabbing some of his own headlines against FSU earlier this year. Disrupting the Seminoles backfield all day he didn’t let up after that game and his stock has continued to rise and he has continued to live up to the hype through the Bulls International Bowl dismantling over Northern Illinois. JPP is a prototypical—albeit raw—blend of size, strength, quickness and agility coaches only dream about plugging at the DE spot.

LB Brandon Spikes - Scouts have had their sights set on the senior linebacker since he exploded onto the scene as a sophomore earning First Team All-SEC recognition. His senior season has been clouded by the “eye-gouging” incident against Georgia. Spikes has prototypical middle linebacker size and can light up running backs with the best of them. The biggest factor keeping him out of the Top 10 or even comparisons to 49ers LB Patrick Willis is his speed. Should he time well at the combine look out for him to jump 5-10 spots.

I draft McClain and then hope some 1 is foolish enough to offer me a 4th rd pick for Ted Ginn and i also try and move Merling too. thats what i do...

SuperMarksBros.
01-17-2010, 04:53 PM

We also took LB Eddie Moore over WR Anquan Boldin. Talent is talent, regardless of the position.

DesertEagle1088
01-17-2010, 04:56 PM
i dont understand why no one wants taylor mays out of USC... hes the next best safety that will be elite

miamiballer
01-17-2010, 07:14 PM
1. mcclain
2. dez bryant
3. cj spiller
4. dan williams
5. earl thomas

uga3406
01-17-2010, 08:00 PM
i dont understand why no one wants taylor mays out of USC... hes the next best safety that will be elite

because there is a big gapping hold in the lb area....how can u justify taking mays over mcclain if he is there

*Demi*God*
01-17-2010, 09:25 PM
That was such a bad point, Demi. Should we always take a michigan Qb because the last time every team passed on a qb from michigan 5 and a half times they really got screwed because he was Tom Brady. Taking Ginn was a bad move, EVERYONE KNEW IT! Not a single educated fan thought that was a smart move because we were run by idiots. I really dont fear making such a monumental mistake like that again.

Dez Bryant did not play at all this year...period....remember the last supposedly super talented WR that missed a year of NCAA ball...Mike Williams remember him, how did that turn out? Heres the deal...Look at the most recent SB champs....what has won them that SB...DEFENSE....WR/RB is a position that you can find talent DEEP in the draft...Brian Hartline/Bess....and Im sorry but I do recall most people on this forum and OTHERS saying they wanted Quinn over Ginn AND PW...Offense wins games...Defense wins CHAMPIONSHIPS...it was preached to me since the day I FIRST started playing Pee Wee football...and for the most part that has RANG true on all levels...

Roman529
01-17-2010, 09:49 PM
Dez Bryant did not play at all this year...period....

Dez Bryant actually did play in the 2009 season. He played in three games (against Georgia, Houston and Rice) and had 17 catches for 323 yards (a 19 yards per catch average). He was suspended in October, 2009 and was ruled ineligible for the rest of the 2009 season.

Astrosback
01-17-2010, 10:01 PM
Dez Bryant did not play at all this year...period....remember the last supposedly super talented WR that missed a year of NCAA ball...Mike Williams remember him, how did that turn out? Heres the deal...Look at the most recent SB champs....what has won them that SB...DEFENSE....WR/RB is a position that you can find talent DEEP in the draft...Brian Hartline/Bess....and Im sorry but I do recall most people on this forum and OTHERS saying they wanted Quinn over Ginn AND PW...Offense wins games...Defense wins CHAMPIONSHIPS...it was preached to me since the day I FIRST started playing Pee Wee football...and for the most part that has RANG true on all levels...

Dude, nobody is saying we're not going to focus on D. It's just that McClain will most likely be gone at 1.12 and if that's the case, we might want to use that pick for a potentail WR1 like Dez instead of reaching for a defensive player to to say we went defense.

If we add 2 or 3 FA vets to the D and then use rounds 2, 3 and 4 on defense too, then I think we could spare the 1.12 pick for either Dez or Spiller. Sheesh!

*Demi*God*
01-17-2010, 10:04 PM
Dez Bryant actually did play in the 2009 season. He played in three games (against Georgia, Houston and Rice) and had 17 catches for 323 yards (a 19 yards per catch average). He was suspended in October, 2009 and was ruled ineligible for the rest of the 2009 season.

My mistake...but he played against 2 cupcakes...and a Georgia team that wasnt all that great this year...Im not sure what his attitude is like but with the characters issue kick the NFL has been on how many white flags do you think him lying to the NCAA about his involvement with Deon Sanders will raise...now I will admit I dont know what his past transgression may have been if any but combine that and the entire Michael Crabtree fiasco from last year....it would scare me a tad...

skipp2myloo13
01-18-2010, 09:34 AM
My mistake...but he played against 2 cupcakes...and a Georgia team that wasnt all that great this year...Im not sure what his attitude is like but with the characters issue kick the NFL has been on how many white flags do you think him lying to the NCAA about his involvement with Deon Sanders will raise...now I will admit I dont know what his past transgression may have been if any but combine that and the entire Michael Crabtree fiasco from last year....it would scare me a tad...

You clearly arent aware that Dez is considered a great human being. From anyone who knows him he is said to be humble and determined. He has no "character issues" and would be an asset to any team on and off the field. But no, its much smarter to formulate opinions off of what 1) some other ignorant person wrote 2) i saw on BSPN.

j-off-her-doll
01-18-2010, 12:38 PM
D. Bryant is the real deal, and his suspension is an absolute joke.

The old man that decided to suspend him for "lying" (mind you, he did nothing against NCAA regulations) should be drug out into the street and shot.

But, some teams might pass on him for it. All the better for us if we have the sense to take him.