PDA

View Full Version : taylor mayes

hooshoops
01-19-2010, 12:17 AM
everytime i watch tape on this guy i am baffled that anyone thinks he should be in consideration for pick #12...heck even the first 2 rounds

i mean really...i just got done reviewing some more film on mayes and i can't for the life of me see why we would want this guy playing safety for us...

i see a guy who's late in reading and recognition...takes false steps...has a nasty and i mean nasty habit of breaking down on a ballcarrier and leaving way too much space between the ballcarrier and himself in the open field...to the point that he almost comes to a complete stop leaving way too much distance for a full bore ballcarrier to make a move on him...

not particularly adept at changing direction not particularly solid in coverage and at times not even interested in making the tackle...with poor tackling technique to boot...

the thing i do like is when he does go full bore in pursuit of a ballcarrier to the perimeters of the field he arrives in a hurry but that's about it...when the ball is coming downhill at him he breaks down every time instead of attacking the ball carrier...

i'm gonna be flat out sick if we use a top 3 round pick on this guy...i really am

in my best deion sanders voice "he's hot garbage"

WISfinfan13
01-19-2010, 12:41 AM
I heard that he may play outside LB in the NFL.

Nick13
01-19-2010, 12:46 AM
Yeah, Mays is an athletic gem, but has next to no coverage skills...not what we need.

WelcomeBack
01-19-2010, 12:50 AM
everytime i watch tape on this guy i am baffled that anyone thinks he should be in consideration for pick #12...heck even the first 2 rounds

i mean really...i just got done reviewing some more film on mayes and i can't for the life of me see why we would want this guy playing safety for us...

i see a guy who's late in reading and recognition...takes false steps...has a nasty and i mean nasty habit of breaking down on a ballcarrier and leaving way too much space between the ballcarrier and himself in the open field...to the point that he almost comes to a complete stop leaving way too much distance for a full bore ballcarrier to make a move on him...

not particularly adept at changing direction not particularly solid in coverage and at times not even interested in making the tackle...with poor tackling technique to boot...

the thing i do like is when he does go full bore in pursuit of a ballcarrier to the perimeters of the field he arrives in a hurry but that's about it...when the ball is coming downhill at him he breaks down every time instead of attacking the ball carrier...

i'm gonna be flat out sick if we use a top 3 round pick on this guy...i really am

in my best deion sanders voice "he's hot garbage"

I think everyone is going off of his Junior season really. He had a change in defensive coordinator, and was on a young defense without their best cornerback as well. Shareece Wright was ineligible all year due to academic reasons. Josh Pinkard was the most experienced back there along with an ok Kevin Thomas.

He didn't get to roam as much as he did under Nick Holt and had different responsibilities. I'm not saying he warrants the pick, but I think his drop off could have been caused by a multitude of things.

BobDole
01-19-2010, 02:06 AM
mays will be a very good NFL player - but his future is at the SS position. we have absolutely no need for him.

ckparrothead
01-19-2010, 02:32 AM
Personally I'm not sure Mays' head will ever catch up with his body. His angles are woeful. Simon likes to complain about his neck-breaker tackle attempts, but I believe that's all symptom of his inability to judge angles and speed, and create a direct path to the ball for himself. He comes in tentative instead of hot, at times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi2kBxeXOsc

justdev7
01-19-2010, 03:30 AM
The guys head is in the clouds. What a waste of freakish athleticism. In the Ducks Trojans game this year he got crossed up several times. He should have come out last year but no need to worry, Al Davis will be all over Taylor Mayes

dbeals05
01-19-2010, 04:03 AM
I think he will be pretty good in the pros. I dont think he is a 1st or 2nd rd talent. I would draft him in the 3rd. But theres no way in hell that Al Davis passes on this kid. He is a freak of nature and has no football smarts, just like Al Davis likes em.

Valandui
01-19-2010, 05:35 AM
Personally I'm not sure Mays' head will ever catch up with his body. His angles are woeful. Simon likes to complain about his neck-breaker tackle attempts, but I believe that's all symptom of his inability to judge angles and speed, and create a direct path to the ball for himself. He comes in tentative instead of hot, at times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi2kBxeXOsc
He reminds me a lot of Roy Williams in that aspect.

hooshoops
01-19-2010, 08:33 AM
i don't want anything to do with him...zip zero nada

Farmer
01-19-2010, 08:56 AM
its a little off topic but wanted to ask. every draft me and my buddy make a bet.

This year i said that all 3 safeties (Earl T, Taylor M & Berr) will be 1st round picks. I'm safe, right? the only one i feel iffy about is Earl T. Thanks

hooshoops
01-19-2010, 09:17 AM
the whole time i was watching mayes tape i kept thinking ATTACK FOR GODS SAKES...

if he's that damn tentative at the college level what do you guys think he's gonna be like when everyone and their mother is running 4.5 or better with the ball in their hands???

skipp2myloo13
01-19-2010, 09:17 AM
its a little off topic but wanted to ask. every draft me and my buddy make a bet.

This year i said that all 3 safeties (Earl T, Taylor M & Berr) will be 1st round picks. I'm safe, right? the only one i feel iffy about is Earl T. Thanks

Thomas is the best one. Berr wont be IMO and Taylor shouldnt be.

hooshoops
01-19-2010, 09:19 AM
eric berry won't be drafted in the 1st round??? what???

i'd say berry and thomas are virtual locks...mayes is the one who shouldn't be on anyones 1st round list imo...

j-off-her-doll
01-19-2010, 10:44 AM
I like Thomas a lot . . . but better than Berry? Seems like a stretch.

As a side: If we do get Nolan, do we draft Thomas and hope he's the next Ed Reed?

Nappy Roots
01-19-2010, 11:56 AM

Berry wont be picked in the 1st? :facepalm:

RockyMtnPhinfan
01-19-2010, 12:06 PM
I like Thomas a lot . . . but better than Berry? Seems like a stretch.

As a side: If we do get Nolan, do we draft Thomas and hope he's the next Ed Reed?

That is exactly my guess when i heard Nolan may take the DC spot. The first name that came to me was Earl Thomas. This coach is going to review the tape and it's easy to see where we were lacking............FS.

fgrocker
01-19-2010, 12:38 PM
No offense bro, but I'm guessing that your "reviewing film" means that you watched a couple of highlight clips on YouTube and read a couple mock drafts. If you want people to take you seriously and believe that you created this analysis yourself, you might want to start by learning how to SPELL THE GUY'S NAME RIGHT. If I were a football exec and a scout came up to me praising a player but couldn't even spell his name, I'd toss the analysis straight in the trash.

fgrocker
01-19-2010, 12:39 PM
That is exactly my guess when i heard Nolan may take the DC spot. The first name that came to me was Earl Thomas. This coach is going to review the tape and it's easy to see where we were lacking............FS.

You mean ILB. Look at the performance analysis from this past year. Our safeties were slightly above average performers, while our ILBs were all well below average.

foozool13
01-19-2010, 12:40 PM
I don't think I have heard/read even one person mention picking him at #12.

hooshoops
01-19-2010, 12:45 PM
No offense bro, but I'm guessing that your "reviewing film" means that you watched a couple of highlight clips on YouTube and read a couple mock drafts. If you want people to take you seriously and believe that you created this analysis yourself, you might want to start by learning how to SPELL THE GUY'S NAME RIGHT. If I were a football exec and a scout came up to me praising a player but couldn't even spell his name, I'd toss the analysis straight in the trash.

ahh the spelling police on a message board...

how bout this...he's not worth spelling his name right and you're not worth responding to any more...

bro

and yes i am making my own observations on players...

hooshoops
01-19-2010, 12:49 PM
I don't think I have heard/read even one person mention picking him at #12.

i have...and it's been said on here by a few people that reports are we are very high on him...

for our sake i hope that those reports are false

WelcomeBack
01-19-2010, 12:54 PM
i have...and it's been said on here by a few people that reports are we are very high on him...

for our sake i hope that those reports are false

I'm a USC fan, but I got to agree with you. Mainly because we have too many needs to make a selection on a guy with a lot of questions. If we're going safety in round 1 and Berry isn't there, I sure hope it's Thomas.

I'm still high on drafting Derrick Morgan or trading down a bit to get more picks and selecting Sean Weatherspoon.

hooshoops
01-19-2010, 12:59 PM
I'm a USC fan, but I got to agree with you. Mainly because we have too many needs to make a selection on a guy with a lot of questions. If we're going safety in round 1 and Berry isn't there, I sure hope it's Thomas.

I'm still high on drafting Derrick Morgan or trading down a bit to get more picks and selecting Sean Weatherspoon.

well for my money jerry hughes if we do actually need a wolb is worth pick #12 also...

really like him as an edge rusher

i need to get my hands on some weatherspoon stuff as high as many of you are on him...i plan to

WelcomeBack
01-19-2010, 01:08 PM
well for my money jerry hughes if we do actually need a wolb is worth pick #12 also...

really like him as an edge rusher

i need to get my hands on some weatherspoon stuff as high as many of you are on him...i plan to

He's definitely something to watch from what I have seen. I didn't get to really review as I only get to see the games once they come on (No DVR or recorder). When I have seen Spoon, he stuck out.

hooshoops
01-19-2010, 01:15 PM
if you search you can find lots of stuff on these guys you can review

espn360.com has a lot of games this year just a click away where you can review players and key specifically on individuals for scouting purposes among other outlets...

and yes i do use the universal draft stuff that ck and the guys do as well for references...and it's very good stuff they do

but i form my own opinions...

WelcomeBack
01-19-2010, 01:22 PM
if you search you can find lots of stuff on these guys you can review

espn360.com has a lot of games this year just a click away where you can review players and key specifically on individuals for scouting purposes among other outlets...

and yes i do use the universal draft stuff that ck and the guys do as well for references...and it's very good stuff they do

but i form my own opinions...

Definitely.

The work that CK, Boomer and Con put in at UD is great...and I use the videos they cut up. It's always good to see cut ups that show highlights and lowlights to focus on strengths and weaknesses.

I do admit, I form my own opinion, but I look for names from the UD crew as well. I didn't get to see much of Derrick Morgan before this year...and when CK mentioned him...I remember seeing a little bit...then going back and watching more. So, their opinions do help me make mine in a way.

Same with you and TedSlimmJr.

ZachThomas76
01-19-2010, 03:18 PM
Taylor Mays should follow in the footsteps of Thomas Davis and play linebacker.

Clipse
01-19-2010, 03:34 PM
Berry won't be drafted in the 1st round? :lol:

Clipse
01-19-2010, 03:34 PM
Mays blows, no thanks.

Quadfather
01-19-2010, 03:54 PM
look at his junior year, hes better than the tape shows. no matter, hes more likely to be a SS. I really like earl thomas and we have a better chance of drafting him and id be happy with the pick.