PDA

View Full Version : Mock Off-Season with 2010 Roster

miami234ever
01-19-2010, 07:12 PM
First, let me say this mock is assuming that no new CBA gets done. Ronnie Brown, Devone Bess, Anthony Fasano all get another contract year to set them up for free agency next season. This entire plan requires one big IF, and we'll get to that soon.

Re-sign:

1. Jason Taylor, OLB - Really provides great leadership and likely wants one more shot at a ring.

2. Nate Jones, CB - Good nickle corner and will provide competition with W. Allen for that exact spot.

FA:

1. Vince Wilfork, NT - Here is the big IF. IF New England let's this guy go, he should be our top choice regardless of who else is available. He won't cost any picks and is still in his prime, plus this seals the door shut of the New England defense. I honestly think Bellicheck's ego is driving him right now and with the selection of Ron Brace in the 2nd round last year, I think he wants to PROVE that it's his system that's making everything work and not just talented players. If Wilfork isn't let go, change this to Casey Hampton.

2. Ryan Clark, FS - Clark on a two year deal would be ideal for this team. Clemons isn't ready to start quite yet and I don't think any rookie we have a shot at can grasp this defense and start day 1 for us. Clark stays until Clemons is ready.

Release:

1. Joey Porter, OLB - I think his time is up and could find a home elsewhere.

2. Gibril Wilson, S - Please don't get me started on him.

Draft Day Trade:

2010 3rd & 6th round picks and Ted Ginn sent to Arizona for WR Anquan Boldin. Many of you may not like this trade, but Anquan Boldin is at the lowest value possible right now. It will not get lower and unless Parcells gets hit in the head and wants to give up a 1st and 3rd for Brandon Marshall, this is our best route to go. Boldin's YAC ability, strength, blocking, and hands all fit this team and I'm sure Anquan would love to return to Florida.

Draft:

1. Rolando McClain - ILB - Alabama. I'm glad everyone thinks he will be gone by this pick, but our only real threat ahead of us is Denver. The chances Brandon Marshall returns to Denver next year are slim, so I could see them taking Dez Bryant or a surprise pick by selecting either of the NT prospects available. McClain is ideal for this team and this causes Crowder to be moved to Ayodele's spot, which really has been Crowder's role this whole time.

2. Brandon Graham - OLB/DE - Michigan. His height and speed are questionable, but his strength, insticts, and pass rushing abilities are solid. He would be a great pick for this team.

4. Anthony McCoy - TE - U.S.C. McCoy is a great receiving option for a TE and will fill a need for this team. Great compliment to Anthony Fasano (Maybe the Anthony Bros!?).

6. WR/KR - With the departure of Ginn, we need to take the best returner at this spot who would really make our ST's feared.

6. OG/C - Depth along with competition is needed on the inside of the line.

7. ILB - More competition for Ayodele/Torbor. One of them needs to go because of salary, but this selected played needs to be good on special teams to fill their spot. (Gets placed on PS)

7. CB - If another CB comes along that can take Jason Allen's spot along with costing less and playing soid ST's, then Miami should take it. (Gets placed on PS)

Final Roster:

QB: Henne/White/Thigpen
HB: Brown/Williams/Cobbs/Hilliard
FB: Polite
WR: Boldin/Camarillo/Turner
TE: Fasano/McCoy/Haynos
LT: Long/Gardner
LG: Smiley/6th
C: Grove/Berger
RG: Thomas
RT: Carey/Garner
WR: Hartline/Bess/6th

LE: Langford/McDaniel/Dotson
NT: Wilfork/Soliai
RE: Starks/Merling
LOLB: Graham/Anderson
LILB: Crowder/Torbor
RILB: McClain
ROLB: Taylor/Wake/Walden
CB: Davis/W. Allen/J. Allen
FS: Clark/Clemons
SS: Bell/Culver
CB: Smith/Jones

K: Carpenter
P: Fields
LS: Denney

CAPT.245
01-19-2010, 07:28 PM
Those are some good picks I think clark would nice for us we do need that #1 WR,but I thought boldin said no about a trade and I feel we will go heavy D in the draft... With the right moves next season could be a promising...:hi5:

BobDole
01-19-2010, 07:34 PM
not too bad. anquan will take a considerable amount more to get, but we can dream, can't we? clark is a decent FS - but has benefitted a ton from the pressure that front 7 gets - just like the rest of that secondary minus polamalu. not to mention the guy is 30. i don't personally want him - especially considering how loaded this draft is with safeties - and cover safeties at that. and i wouldn't dislike getting wilfork - but NT is another deep position that we need to get involved in.

like your first two picks - but the TE from USC is a bit iffy for me - especially in the 3rd.

not how i would've done it, but not too bad.

ColonelJ
01-19-2010, 07:38 PM
Not bad. There are so many ways to go. One way is to abandon defense since it never gets fixed.
Then get:

Brandon Marshall or Anquan Boldin

1. Dez Bryant WR
2. Dexter McCluster RB/WR
3. Jimmy Graham TE
4. Brandon Carter OG
__
Boldin . . . . . Long Smiley Grove Carter Carey Graham . . Dez Bryant

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Henne
. .. . . . . . . McCluster . . . . . . .Polite

skipp2myloo13
01-19-2010, 07:47 PM
we would still have no D

SRM
01-19-2010, 07:56 PM
we would still have no D

How so? He took out all the ****ty players and plugged in good players and rookies with tons of talent.

ColonelJ
01-19-2010, 07:57 PM
we would still have no D

I know. I say: so what? We've never had a D, and never will.
It makes sense to get some offensive playmakers. And get some projects with 5 6th and 7th round picks. Some linebacker out of 5 will work out.

j-off-her-doll
01-19-2010, 08:18 PM
I know. I say: so what? We've never had a D, and never will.
It makes sense to get some offensive playmakers. And get some projects with 5 6th and 7th round picks. Some linebacker out of 5 will work out.

We never will? I'm sorry, who's our new DC? We will have D.

ColonelJ
01-19-2010, 08:24 PM
We never will? I'm sorry, who's our new DC? We will have D.

I think we can scheme a little better with Nolan, and get 5 defensive players in later rounds. Keep Porter because he is a true WOLB. Develop Wake and start him. Get Dansby or some other FA to play next to Crowder for rotation.
We have Wilson, Clemons, Bell at safety. Allen, Davis, Smith at Corner.
We can scheme better and get to 20 ppg.

Get Boldin, Dez Bryant, Dexter McCluster, Jimmy Graham or Dennis Pitta or whoever is the best catching TE, and sling it out with Henne. We would have good rushing threat with Brown and Ricky. McCluster is a change of pace and screens back, fast and elusive.
Improve TE and 2 WR. Score 30 ppg.

DOC33
01-19-2010, 08:58 PM
Not a real big fan of trading Ginn without having a plan of getting someone else with speed on the outside. Boldin has great hands and is great at picking up the YAC yardage but he would never be confused with being a deep threat at this stage in his career. Ginn is the only deep speed that we have. Like it or not he or someone with similar skills is a big part of the reason that Bess and Cam can do what they do and Boldin would need someone like him to spread the field and open things up for him as well.

skipp2myloo13
01-19-2010, 09:42 PM
I would rather have a D and a Run game and let Henne throw to who we got now than have a great O and the D we had last year.

ChadHenne
01-19-2010, 09:47 PM
Why do people think trading Ginn would net a huge profit? At this point he's a kick returner/punt returner with #4 WR production, he'd net no more than a 6th rounder at this point in his career. Anquan Boldin is not getting traded away from Arizona without a top notch player and/or a 1st round pick or a 2nd and a very nice collection package going to Arizona in return.

I'd also like to mention that Pittsburgh has stated they want Wilfork back, and considering we already have the 2nd highest payroll in the NFL, we aren't going to be the "big spenders" some people expect us to be, so don't expect Wilfork coming to Miami.

As for your draft picks, I think you are very much on the right track. Obviously McClain would be best case scenario, and the rest of those picks are passable given team need, but I believe some of those picks can be better and better value would be available to choose at those spots.

However, I've gotta say you're on the right track with the direction of this team. Just got to think a little more realistically with the teams financial limitations, but overall a nice attempt for an early overview of future events.

miami234ever
01-19-2010, 10:10 PM
we would still have no D

McClain & Wilfork wouldn't be enough? And Clark upgrading Wilson? We would be LUCKY to get that! If you're expecting anything more than that, well, might as well root for the Jets D next season.

miami234ever
01-19-2010, 10:11 PM
Not a real big fan of trading Ginn without having a plan of getting someone else with speed on the outside. Boldin has great hands and is great at picking up the YAC yardage but he would never be confused with being a deep threat at this stage in his career. Ginn is the only deep speed that we have. Like it or not he or someone with similar skills is a big part of the reason that Bess and Cam can do what they do and Boldin would need someone like him to spread the field and open things up for him as well.

Hartline can get open deep and did it several times this past season. Plus the 6th rounder in the mock will provide speed as well since they will be assigned return duties.

miami234ever
01-19-2010, 10:16 PM
Why do people think trading Ginn would net a huge profit? At this point he's a kick returner/punt returner with #4 WR production, he'd net no more than a 6th rounder at this point in his career. Anquan Boldin is not getting traded away from Arizona without a top notch player and/or a 1st round pick or a 2nd and a very nice collection package going to Arizona in return.

I'd also like to mention that Pittsburgh has stated they want Wilfork back, and considering we already have the 2nd highest payroll in the NFL, we aren't going to be the "big spenders" some people expect us to be, so don't expect Wilfork coming to Miami.

As for your draft picks, I think you are very much on the right track. Obviously McClain would be best case scenario, and the rest of those picks are passable given team need, but I believe some of those picks can be better and better value would be available to choose at those spots.

However, I've gotta say you're on the right track with the direction of this team. Just got to think a little more realistically with the teams financial limitations, but overall a nice attempt for an early overview of future events.

The trade does not suggest at all that Ginn has huge profit. A 3rd, 6th, and Ginn could more than likely net us Boldin. He's older and more injured than Edwards and that's basically how they got Edwards.

Pittsburgh can't want Wilfork back because they never had him. It's either Wilfork OR Hampton, one will be available and we should go after them if either of them are.

Our team is not in that much of a financial hell. Getting rid of the contracts of Porter, Wilson, Ginn, and Ayodele would really clear up a ton of cap space. I'm sure Bell would consider restructuring his deal as well if it meant adding Vince Wilfork or Casey Hampton to the team.

As for Boldin, we went after him last season when the asking price was way too high. Now with Doucet and Breaston proving they can fill his shoes and him not playing in the playoffs, his value is probably low...

miami234ever
01-19-2010, 10:20 PM
not too bad. anquan will take a considerable amount more to get, but we can dream, can't we? clark is a decent FS - but has benefitted a ton from the pressure that front 7 gets - just like the rest of that secondary minus polamalu. not to mention the guy is 30. i don't personally want him - especially considering how loaded this draft is with safeties - and cover safeties at that. and i wouldn't dislike getting wilfork - but NT is another deep position that we need to get involved in.

like your first two picks - but the TE from USC is a bit iffy for me - especially in the 3rd.

not how i would've done it, but not too bad.

Clark would be a stopgap option until Clemons is ready. Do you know of any other FS's with experience that would be willing to sign a 2-3 year deal? Plus Mike Nolan had our ex-fin Renaldo Hill at FS and did wonders with him. Clark is a notch above Hill and really would be a good option.

We can't expect to solve all our long term issues this one off-season.

And McCoy is being taken in the 4th, so his value is much greater at that point also.

ChadHenne
01-19-2010, 10:29 PM
The trade does not suggest at all that Ginn has huge profit. A 3rd, 6th, and Ginn could more than likely net us Boldin. He's older and more injured than Edwards and that's basically how they got Edwards.

Pittsburgh can't want Wilfork back because they never had him. It's either Wilfork OR Hampton, one will be available and we should go after them if either of them are.

Our team is not in that much of a financial hell. Getting rid of the contracts of Porter, Wilson, Ginn, and Ayodele would really clear up a ton of cap space. I'm sure Bell would consider restructuring his deal as well if it meant adding Vince Wilfork or Casey Hampton to the team.

As for Boldin, we went after him last season when the asking price was way too high. Now with Doucet and Breaston proving they can fill his shoes and him not playing in the playoffs, his value is probably low...

My bad, mixed up my Wilfork's and Hampton's. Can't update on the Pats interest in resigning Wilfork tbh, but he might be available since the Pats have shown they want to get younger on defense.

As for Boldin, you can completely forget Arizona selling low on him. They are hellbent on get top dollar on Boldin. They will hold onto him until his contract his up if they don't get what they want, and that is probably a nice package surrounding a 2nd rounder and a few good players, or a 1st and 6th round pick.

Elliott 1
01-19-2010, 10:39 PM
Forget about Hampton and Wilfork. Just pretend they don't exist, because as far as FA availability goes, they really really don't exist.

skipp2myloo13
01-19-2010, 10:43 PM
Hartline can get open deep and did it several times this past season. Plus the 6th rounder in the mock will provide speed as well since they will be assigned return duties.

I was refering to Dolgin above me.