PDA

View Full Version : Fins Interested in UM Jimmy Graham?

FinAtic8480
01-20-2010, 02:09 AM
How intrigued are the Dolphins by UM tight end Jimmy Graham? A person at the December UM practice attended by Bill Parcells and Jeff Ireland said their eyes were focused on Graham throughout.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/columnists/barry-jackson/story/1434416.html

Jimmy Graham showed some nice flashes this year at UM playing TE and he is a local product, but I think he is more of a project. I would love for Miami to take a shot at him, but probably in the 7th round or maybe even as UDFA.

BARF
01-20-2010, 02:12 AM
we need more players from the U down here

CedarPhin
01-20-2010, 02:36 AM
Get him in the 5th or 6th. He's got great potential, and would a fantastic RZ target for Henne.

Clipse
01-20-2010, 08:51 AM
Would love nothing more than to get Henne a weapon like Jimmy Graham. Unfortunately, getting him in the 5th or 6th just isn't going to happen. 2nd round is more likely, 3rd if we're lucky.

skipp2myloo13
01-20-2010, 10:32 AM
I would rather have Pitta than him if we are picking a TE early in the 2nd. Or Gresham if he falls.

RealDriscoll
01-20-2010, 11:15 AM
I would love Graham in the 6th. The lack of football experience could cause him to drop a little.

hooshoops
01-20-2010, 11:15 AM
quarless is also looking good as a te a little later...great size and standing out at shrine bowl practices

RealDriscoll
01-20-2010, 11:16 AM
If Jimmy Graham gets selected in Round 2 I'll piss myself..

greasyObnoxious
01-20-2010, 11:46 AM
If Jimmy Graham gets selected in Round 2 I'll piss myself..

if a guy like Richard Quinn can get selected in round 2, you can be sure there's a chance for Jimmy Graham as well.

Chubby
01-20-2010, 12:08 PM
He will be taken somewhere between round 3 or 4. He has great size and showed signs of great hands last year. But his inexperience as mentioned previously will keep him around these rounds i mentioned.

Unless of course, he gets to the combine and runs an insane 40 etc..., Was he even invited to the combine? Can anyone confirm?
Chubbs

Awsi Dooger
01-20-2010, 04:15 PM
Would love nothing more than to get Henne a weapon like Jimmy Graham. Unfortunately, getting him in the 5th or 6th just isn't going to happen. 2nd round is more likely, 3rd if we're lucky.

That's accurate. He's a buzz player and they always go higher than conventional wisdom estimates. Mid to late 2nd round seems most likely.

Graham has a loping stride and makes plays so effortlessly he can look like a cut above in terms of athletic ability. That's what intrigues teams like the Dolphins. He'll pluck TD passes with his hands and then nonchalantly toss the ball to the referee.

Still, I'd be nervous about the pick. Graham thrives on free release from the line and clear sailing downfield. He was never roughed up and I'm not sure how he'll react to adversity. Basketball background is hardly a guarantee of football toughness.

hooshoops
01-20-2010, 04:21 PM
that's right...free releases all day long...hardly ever even chipped at the los

not much of a sample production wise to go by either...

boom or bust

Clipse
01-20-2010, 06:46 PM
I would love Graham in the 6th. The lack of football experience could cause him to drop a little.
:lol::lol: Good luck with that.

Clipse
01-20-2010, 06:48 PM
That's accurate. He's a buzz player and they always go higher than conventional wisdom estimates. Mid to late 2nd round seems most likely.

Graham has a loping stride and makes plays so effortlessly he can look like a cut above in terms of athletic ability. That's what intrigues teams like the Dolphins. He'll pluck TD passes with his hands and then nonchalantly toss the ball to the referee.

Still, I'd be nervous about the pick. Graham thrives on free release from the line and clear sailing downfield. He was never roughed up and I'm not sure how he'll react to adversity. Basketball background is hardly a guarantee of football toughness.
COuldn't agree more. Watching tape on this guy, and just the athleticism at that height to go with great hands. His potential is sky high. Mid to late 2nd is likely, I'd be absolutely shocked if he doesn't get drafted by the 3rd round.

j-off-her-doll
01-20-2010, 07:42 PM
Unless you're in a position to take a luxury pick, you'd be an absolute moron to take this kid before the 4th or 5th.

ckparrothead
01-21-2010, 01:52 PM
I love him as a prospect. 6th round is a pipe dream, totally unrealistic. Not even close IMO.

He has a lot of physicality to him from his basketball experience, actually. A shot blocker and a rebounder has to be physical.

Clipse
01-21-2010, 03:18 PM
Unless you're in a position to take a luxury pick, you'd be an absolute moron to take this kid before the 4th or 5th.
How would he be a luxury pick? :lol: Pat White is a luxury pick. TE is a legit need on this team, and having a 6'8 pass catching TE on this team is arguably better for Henne than any of the average at best WR's that would be available in the 2nd or 3rd rounds would.

j-off-her-doll
01-21-2010, 03:42 PM
How would he be a luxury pick? :lol: Pat White is a luxury pick. TE is a legit need on this team, and having a 6'8 pass catching TE on this team is arguably better for Henne than any of the average at best WR's that would be available in the 2nd or 3rd rounds would.

He's a luxury pick because he hasn't produced enough to even be drafted - let alone in the higher rounds. He's a great athlete, but his athleticism hasn't yet translated into a pro-caliber TE. Hence: luxury pick.

zodiak
01-21-2010, 04:05 PM
Im a UM fan and have watched every game they played, Graham is interesting from a physical stand point, but I agree with j-off-her-doll.

Grahams production hasnt been where a 2-3-4 rnd players production should be, IMO Im not sure Graham doesnt eqaul Haynos both are 6-8 players sure Graham maybe more athletic but that doesnt mean better, plus how many games did graham impact as a TE?

I agree that Graham will be drafted high(higher than he should IMO) and im ok with that and if its the phins drafting him great hope he becomes a great pro, but I dont feel as if he's a cant miss, some here make it out as if he will be an all-pro....I question if he will even be a pro after 2-3 years.

skipp2myloo13
01-21-2010, 04:43 PM
I like Hernandez better. Even if he is just a WR.

Awsi Dooger
01-21-2010, 07:30 PM
Im a UM fan and have watched every game they played, Graham is interesting from a physical stand point, but I agree with j-off-her-doll.

Grahams production hasnt been where a 2-3-4 rnd players production should be, IMO Im not sure Graham doesnt eqaul Haynos both are 6-8 players sure Graham maybe more athletic but that doesnt mean better, plus how many games did graham impact as a TE?

I agree that Graham will be drafted high(higher than he should IMO) and im ok with that and if its the phins drafting him great hope he becomes a great pro, but I dont feel as if he's a cant miss, some here make it out as if he will be an all-pro....I question if he will even be a pro after 2-3 years.

I understand your skepticism. I go back and forth on Graham but often the low end equals your final point; will he even last in the league?

Early in the season Graham was like a sideshow. He'd wander into the end zone and start waving his hand. Jacory forced the ball in his direction several times when other options were better. It was like the Canes were playing to the crowd's desire to get the basketball guy involved. The student section went nuts every time his name was called.

In midseason his routes got better. But he was never roughed up and only in the Duke game, second to last in the regular season, was he a third down target in traffic. I raised my opinion of Graham at that point but I'm still not sure I'd depend on him boxing out then catching a dart in traffic with a strong safety wrapped all over him. Most of his catches were in soft and easy scenarios. Graham is a soft spoken guy so maybe I'm unfairly using that aspect to wonder about his toughness.

But keep in mind we've only seen Graham dealing with Jacory's passes, which are pure touch and very catchable. Turning around with a Henne fastball only inches away is another matter.

ChadHenne
01-21-2010, 08:12 PM
Yeah, I would MUCH rather grab Pitta in the 3rd round than grab Graham in the 4th. Pitta seems like a Todd Heap kind of player to me. Would gladly take him on the Fins. Jimmy Graham seems like a bit of a risk to me, one that I wouldn't want to take a chance on until the 5th round, but we know teams are going to jump at him in the late 3rd round. Still, I've been on the Pitta bandwagon for a while.

Danny
01-21-2010, 09:30 PM
at least this year we won't be drafting Pat white with our 2nd round pick.

Ozzy rules!!

Danny
01-21-2010, 09:32 PM

Pat White was not a luxury pick....he was a wasted pick.

Ozzy rules!!

TheBow305
01-21-2010, 09:41 PM
I'd actually rather take Dedrick Epps, the other Tight End from Miami in the 5th or 6th round, which is where is is projected to go. He is much more polished, and always produced when he got opportunities. As a Hurricanes fan myself, I always felt Epps was the better TE anyway. Sure Graham has more potential and I wouldn't mind at all if we took a chance on him in the 3rd, but Epps also has a fair amount of potential as well, being a basketball player in high school himself. He will be a fantastic TE in the NFL, mark my words.

Awsi Dooger
01-21-2010, 11:06 PM
I'd actually rather take Dedrick Epps, the other Tight End from Miami in the 5th or 6th round, which is where is is projected to go. He is much more polished, and always produced when he got opportunities. As a Hurricanes fan myself, I always felt Epps was the better TE anyway. Sure Graham has more potential and I wouldn't mind at all if we took a chance on him in the 3rd, but Epps also has a fair amount of potential as well, being a basketball player in high school himself. He will be a fantastic TE in the NFL, mark my words.

I agree with you. I know I posted that in some other thread, that Epps is the intriguing value pick. Late in 2008 he was the most dependable target on the team. Very clever player with good hands. He's not as flashy as Graham but he'll make the tough grab in traffic.

After the major knee injury he seemingly disappeared this season. I was never fully certain if he hadn't recovered physically, or simply fell out of favor due to fascination with Graham. You can never tell with Shannon.

ckparrothead
01-21-2010, 11:18 PM
The thing that attracts you toward Jimmy Graham is his upward momentum. A year ago he hadn't even touched a football. At the beginning of the season he was as much a "sideshow" as Awsi described. By mid season, he was better, and by the end of the season I could watch the game and there was absolutely no doubt in my mind which of the two between Graham and Epps is the more valuable football player at any given moment.

That's not a gradual rise. On a football time scale, that's meteoric. And when you listen to the kid speak on the radio, you know that he's a very intelligent individual, and so in addition to his natural athleticism (which is significant) you can understand why he's been able to enjoy such a steep learning curve.

I could see why the Dolphins are staring at him.

As for Dennis Pitta, I was notably not a fan of his, but after seeing him up close and personal every day of the last four Shrine practices, I can tell you that he probably won't make it to our pick in the 3rd round. He could be the real deal.

TheBow305
01-21-2010, 11:28 PM
I agree with you. I know I posted that in some other thread, that Epps is the intriguing value pick. Late in 2008 he was the most dependable target on the team. Very clever player with good hands. He's not as flashy as Graham but he'll make the tough grab in traffic.

After the major knee injury he seemingly disappeared this season. I was never fully certain if he hadn't recovered physically, or simply fell out of favor due to fascination with Graham. You can never tell with Shannon.

Yeah, I got very frustrated with this, because I fear it was the latter, and that would just be foolish.

Elliott 1
01-22-2010, 03:47 AM
The thing that attracts you toward Jimmy Graham is his upward momentum. A year ago he hadn't even touched a football. At the beginning of the season he was as much a "sideshow" as Awsi described. By mid season, he was better, and by the end of the season I could watch the game and there was absolutely no doubt in my mind which of the two between Graham and Epps is the more valuable football player at any given moment.

That's not a gradual rise. On a football time scale, that's meteoric. And when you listen to the kid speak on the radio, you know that he's a very intelligent individual, and so in addition to his natural athleticism (which is significant) you can understand why he's been able to enjoy such a steep learning curve.

I could see why the Dolphins are staring at him.

As for Dennis Pitta, I was notably not a fan of his, but after seeing him up close and personal every day of the last four Shrine practices, I can tell you that he probably won't make it to our pick in the 3rd round. He could be the real deal.

I do like Graham's upside but both these guys are already on their way, especially Pitta, isn't he like 25?

JCane
01-22-2010, 03:55 AM
I do like Graham's upside but both these guys are already on their way, especially Pitta, isn't he like 25?

Graham is 23.

ckparrothead
01-22-2010, 11:27 AM
They're both a little older than you'd like. But, I don't know. In the draft you have to be so worried about whether you've got a guy that's any good AT ALL, that I don't see being obsessed with whether the cake has the fanciest frosting, thinking down the road about the guy probably only giving your team a great 5 to 7 years instead of 7 to 10 years.