PDA

View Full Version : Just a Thought on a Trade Idea on Draft Day

3rdandinches
01-21-2010, 11:02 AM
If, which is a big if we can get K.Dansby ILB do you think it's at all possible to try to make this trade with Houston when their first pick (20) comes up and E.Thomas is still there.....

C.Crowder ILB - he would play OLB just like he did for us when we played a 43. They would have Cushing, Ryans and Crowder as their 3 backers which would be pretty darn good, I know I'd take them in a heart beat.

G.Camarillo WR - they will very likely lose K.Walter WR in FA (he will not be restricted) as he will be one of the few good FA's available driving up his market price. They really wouldn't miss a beat with Greg, he's a very similar player to Walter and would come alot cheaper then what K.Walter will end up signing elsewhere.

P.Merling DT - They need help at DT and P.Merling offers a potential starter or at worst a strong young rotational guy for them.

R.Brown RB - S.Slaton has dropped off the face of the earth, they did get some success out of some back ups but R.Brown makes that offense even scarier then ever. A Probowl back that they can test drive for a year and then re-sign or just sign him now.

W.Allen CB - D.Robinson is another Texan that has had his play drop off alot. He was a top end CB looking for a huge pay day and smartly Houston tagged him instead. Now they can let him go or if the deal is right they shouldn't have to pay nearly as much as last year would have cost. That still leaves a hole on the other side, W.Allen is a real good CB. He isn't needed by us now seeing that we have two talent young corners and he could really help out Houston.

Lastly Miami's 3rd and 6th round picks.

I realize trades are difficult to make in the NFL but these players actually fit Houstons needs. They can get 4 potentially 5 starters from this deal and still get two draft picks all for 1 draft pick. I actually wanted to ship Wilson too but they seem to be happy with B.Pollard whom they picked up off the street last year.

Losing R.Brown hurts but you have to give something up to get something. We do have a decent stable of RB's and could pick up a late round flyer to help out.

So all this for us to pick up E.Thomas FS, a much needed position that would go a long way to solving our defensive weaknesses. This becomes a dream scenario if we pickup McClain with our 1st pick then E.Thomas with this one!

So what do you think? And no I do not play Madden!! I just thought this fits both teams needs.

Chubby
01-21-2010, 11:12 AM
Crowder would make sense for them becasue he needs really good players around him for him to shine.

Camarillo- Possibly. I just dont think other teams value camarillo as much as we do here as fans. Cam is considered #2 WR at best possibly a #3. There are many other #2's out there this year.

Merling- Good Fit.

Ronnie Brown - With possibly only 1 year on his contract and his Injury issues he doesnt hold much trade value.

Will Allen- Would be a great mentor from the bench. Many know my feelings for Will Allen and how much I think he sucks. So take this with a grain of salt.

All in all, I couldnt see this happening with only Crowder and Merling being real nice additions for them everyone else has some type of issue.
Chubbs

rev kev
01-21-2010, 11:20 AM
It's a lot to give up for selection no. 20... when you also factor in the 3rd and 5th picks..., I realize they need some picks too.. And there are some salary ramifications as always but I for one am keeping Merling...

JRoX85
01-21-2010, 11:23 AM
man thats an awful lot of players for one man who hasn't even made a name for himself in the pros. I think they could get away with the trade for just

Ronnie Brown, Channing Crowder, and Merling then we still have camz for trade bait as a lot of teams need stand out possession #2 WR's

Kdawg954
01-21-2010, 11:36 AM
Ok, we are giving up 5 starters and 2 draft picks for 1 pick . . . . fail

Miami would be absolutely NUTZ to even consider this trade. U can't fall in love with any player. U are forgetting we still have to field a team next season.

I think people tend to forget that, even tho Ronnie has been injury prone . . . he is by far the best offensive weapon that we have . . . and we are in no type of shape to be giving away our best player, unless you are getting back a 1st or 2nd rounder. I mean think about the trade idea u just posted . . . u are getting raped, all because u have fell in love with a FS, because it is one of our biggest needs. U can't play football like that. 5 proven players for 1 unproven . . . u can't do it.

To be fair, if we did the trade . . . and signed Dansby and drafted Thomas . . . IMO we still lack that veteran CB in the secondary (Will Allen is gonna be a big part of this secondary next year) . . . and we still don't have that elite NT. Plus we return next year with both of our aging pass rushers . . . if we trade away 5 guys and 2 draft picks . . . we have to get back more than 1 unproven player. Plus we lose our most reliable WR and our BEST player on offense.

I do feel like Camarillo and Merling are really nice pieces for a trade. Crowder also would be trade bait if we did get both of those ILB's . . . but leave Ronnie (unless the compensation is a 1st or early 2nd) and Will Allen.

Kdawg954
01-21-2010, 11:38 AM
man thats an awful lot of players for one man who hasn't even made a name for himself in the pros. I think they could get away with the trade for just

Ronnie Brown, Channing Crowder, and Merling then we still have camz for trade bait as a lot of teams need stand out possession #2 WR's

Even that trade, those 3 guys . . . for a college FS?

Think about that. I don't think Camarillo is a #2 on alot of teams . . . he is a slot WR on alot of teams, who can play outside.

3rdandinches
01-21-2010, 11:50 AM
It's a lot to give up for selection no. 20... when you also factor in the 3rd and 5th picks..., I realize they need some picks too.. And there are some salary ramifications as always but I for one am keeping Merling...

I do agree it's alot of players but from our perspective...

W.Allen could be a cut because he carries a 5.2mil price tag and we have SS,VD,JA and could re-sign N.Jones for less then half that.

C.Crowder isn't needed for us because we picked up Dansby and my dream of McClain too.

G.Cam is a copy of two other players we already have, his contract is reasonable and they will more then likely lose Walter. I see Cam's spot being filled by Turner or a FA.

R.Brown is expendable for us, I like the guy but we built this Oline to power run behind it and we can get power runners easily. We have 3 good RB's in Williams, Cobbs and Hillard, then throw in Sheets to the mix.

P.Merling also can easily be said goodbye too with Starks, Langford, McDaniel, Dotson and Alama-Francis.

This clears some salary also to potentially bring another needed FA. Along with cutting Porter, Torbor and Wilson.

Obviousily if we can do it for less then we go that route but I think there are a few faults with some of the players we're trading so it needs to look as attractive as possible.

Gary Kubiak of all coaches will be on the hot seat and needs to make that next step to making the playoffs and one draft pick won't do that for them. This trade does alot in improving their O and D while not really hurting ours at all. The aspect of getting a ballhawking FS and stud ILB all in the same draft makes all the world for us and the 2nd round still gets us a SOLB or even a NT if one drops by any chance.

greasyObnoxious
01-21-2010, 11:54 AM
If, which is a big if we can get K.Dansby ILB do you think it's at all possible to try to make this trade with Houston when their first pick (20) comes up and E.Thomas is still there.....

C.Crowder ILB - he would play OLB just like he did for us when we played a 43. They would have Cushing, Ryans and Crowder as their 3 backers which would be pretty darn good, I know I'd take them in a heart beat.

G.Camarillo WR - they will very likely lose K.Walter WR in FA (he will not be restricted) as he will be one of the few good FA's available driving up his market price. They really wouldn't miss a beat with Greg, he's a very similar player to Walter and would come alot cheaper then what K.Walter will end up signing elsewhere.

P.Merling DT - They need help at DT and P.Merling offers a potential starter or at worst a strong young rotational guy for them.

R.Brown RB - S.Slaton has dropped off the face of the earth, they did get some success out of some back ups but R.Brown makes that offense even scarier then ever. A Probowl back that they can test drive for a year and then re-sign or just sign him now.

W.Allen CB - D.Robinson is another Texan that has had his play drop off alot. He was a top end CB looking for a huge pay day and smartly Houston tagged him instead. Now they can let him go or if the deal is right they shouldn't have to pay nearly as much as last year would have cost. That still leaves a hole on the other side, W.Allen is a real good CB. He isn't needed by us now seeing that we have two talent young corners and he could really help out Houston.

Lastly Miami's 3rd and 6th round picks.

I realize trades are difficult to make in the NFL but these players actually fit Houstons needs. They can get 4 potentially 5 starters from this deal and still get two draft picks all for 1 draft pick. I actually wanted to ship Wilson too but they seem to be happy with B.Pollard whom they picked up off the street last year.

Losing R.Brown hurts but you have to give something up to get something. We do have a decent stable of RB's and could pick up a late round flyer to help out.

So all this for us to pick up E.Thomas FS, a much needed position that would go a long way to solving our defensive weaknesses. This becomes a dream scenario if we pickup McClain with our 1st pick then E.Thomas with this one!

So what do you think? And no I do not play Madden!! I just thought this fits both teams needs.

for one, at least you picked players as trade-bait who hold some value. good job on that.

Will Allen specifically is someone i thought about trading, if the offer is right. it's a fairly weak CB crops, both in FA and the draft. he definitely holds some value.

Phillip Merling is another player i thought about, although i don't think we'd shop him around. if someone made a good offer for him maybe, but i don't think we'd dangle him around.

all in all, i think i would prefer five separate trades if we were to trade all of those guys. Merling might fetch us a 2nd, same for Ronnie Brown. Camarillo might be worth a 5th, Will Allen could get us a 4th. we'd be getting a lot more picks that way. increasing the odds of hitting on our draft picks.

72champagne
01-21-2010, 12:04 PM
thou giveth up too mucheth.

3rdandinches
01-21-2010, 12:15 PM
Ok, we are giving up 5 starters and 2 draft picks for 1 pick . . . . fail

Miami would be absolutely NUTZ to even consider this trade. U can't fall in love with any player. U are forgetting we still have to field a team next season.

I think people tend to forget that, even tho Ronnie has been injury prone . . . he is by far the best offensive weapon that we have . . . and we are in no type of shape to be giving away our best player, unless you are getting back a 1st or 2nd rounder. I mean think about the trade idea u just posted . . . u are getting raped, all because u have fell in love with a FS, because it is one of our biggest needs. U can't play football like that. 5 proven players for 1 unproven . . . u can't do it.

To be fair, if we did the trade . . . and signed Dansby and drafted Thomas . . . IMO we still lack that veteran CB in the secondary (Will Allen is gonna be a big part of this secondary next year) . . . and we still don't have that elite NT. Plus we return next year with both of our aging pass rushers . . . if we trade away 5 guys and 2 draft picks . . . we have to get back more than 1 unproven player. Plus we lose our most reliable WR and our BEST player on offense.

I do feel like Camarillo and Merling are really nice pieces for a trade. Crowder also would be trade bait if we did get both of those ILB's . . . but leave Ronnie (unless the compensation is a 1st or early 2nd) and Will Allen.

Wow I didn't realize I was trading 5 probowlers away for a draft pick! All of these players are replaceable and Brown seems to need to be replaced each year. If it is too much then keep the 3rd round pick or both picks but the bodies are what Kubiak needs not more draft picks, he's on a hot seat to make the playoffs now not 2011.

I don't see the need for a vet in the secondary, atleast not another one beside Bell. N.Jones and J.Allen can fill in for nickle and dime packages. W.Allen could find himself cut this year with his 5.2mil tag.

R.Brown doesn't do us any good on the sideline every other year. I like the guy, he's really talented but he could potentially have more trade value then keeping him.

You don't want me to fall in love with a draft pick but your doing so for a player that can't finish a season for us when he's splitting carries. Ronnie would never get a first on his own, he'd have to be packaged.

About fielding a team....

Dansby and McClain replace Crowder and Torbor. Brown gets replaced by Cobbs. W.Allen has already been replaced. P.Merling gets replaced by Dotson and maybe Francis depending on his developement, afterall Merling is a back-up for us.

This trade does not effect our two aging OLB's whether it's made or not. Wake replaces Porter hopefully anyways, Taylor can come back to continue his rotation and we use our 2nd round pick on a SOLB and I'd also pick another one in the 4th or 6th. Cam gets replaced by Turner on the roster, we also have guys developing on the practise squad.

This also frees up money to be spent on another FA, whether it be a NT or WR.

I certainly am not saying this is perfect but I'm not going to do a write up of another T.Ginn for B.Marshal b.s. type of trade, otherwise known as the pipe dream scenarios. A FS has to be picked up and there's not gonna be any real good ones on the FA market, atleast not UFA.

3rdandinches
01-21-2010, 12:18 PM
for one, at least you picked players as trade-bait who hold some value. good job on that.

Will Allen specifically is someone i thought about trading, if the offer is right. it's a fairly weak CB crops, both in FA and the draft. he definitely holds some value.

Phillip Merling is another player i thought about, although i don't think we'd shop him around. if someone made a good offer for him maybe, but i don't think we'd dangle him around.

all in all, i think i would prefer five separate trades if we were to trade all of those guys. Merling might fetch us a 2nd, same for Ronnie Brown. Camarillo might be worth a 5th, Will Allen could get us a 4th. we'd be getting a lot more picks that way. increasing the odds of hitting on our draft picks.

I could certainly see that happening, getting multiple picks to load up. Even trading back if DEZ (who I doubt we would select even if he's there)or McClain are gone.

If Gianes (God rest his soul) is worth a 2nd then Merling is worth atleast that.

greasyObnoxious
01-21-2010, 12:20 PM
I could certainly see that happening, getting multiple picks to load up. Even trading back if DEZ (who I doubt we would select even if he's there)or McClain are gone.

If Gianes (God rest his soul) is worth a 2nd then Merling is worth atleast that.

to the right team, i agree.

Kdawg954
01-21-2010, 01:00 PM
Wow I didn't realize I was trading 5 probowlers away for a draft pick! All of these players are replaceable and Brown seems to need to be replaced each year. If it is too much then keep the 3rd round pick or both picks but the bodies are what Kubiak needs not more draft picks, he's on a hot seat to make the playoffs now not 2011.

I don't see the need for a vet in the secondary, atleast not another one beside Bell. N.Jones and J.Allen can fill in for nickle and dime packages. W.Allen could find himself cut this year with his 5.2mil tag.

R.Brown doesn't do us any good on the sideline every other year. I like the guy, he's really talented but he could potentially have more trade value then keeping him.

You don't want me to fall in love with a draft pick but your doing so for a player that can't finish a season for us when he's splitting carries. Ronnie would never get a first on his own, he'd have to be packaged.

About fielding a team....

Dansby and McClain replace Crowder and Torbor. Brown gets replaced by Cobbs. W.Allen has already been replaced. P.Merling gets replaced by Dotson and maybe Francis depending on his developement, afterall Merling is a back-up for us.

This trade does not effect our two aging OLB's whether it's made or not. Wake replaces Porter hopefully anyways, Taylor can come back to continue his rotation and we use our 2nd round pick on a SOLB and I'd also pick another one in the 4th or 6th. Cam gets replaced by Turner on the roster, we also have guys developing on the practise squad.

This also frees up money to be spent on another FA, whether it be a NT or WR.

I certainly am not saying this is perfect but I'm not going to do a write up of another T.Ginn for B.Marshal b.s. type of trade, otherwise known as the pipe dream scenarios. A FS has to be picked up and there's not gonna be any real good ones on the FA market, atleast not UFA.

Nah I feel u, but u can't give up 5 potential starters and 2 mid draft picks for #20 overall. Just not smart at all. It's not about needs, its about depth, and u eliminated 5 real solid depth guys for an unproven player at FS. U can't do that. Hell u may find a FS in the 3rd round that is almost equal to Thomas in the NFL, who knows. It's not worth the risk.

As crazy as it sounds, u just can't REPLACE Ronnie . . . Ronnie is a special player, one of the FEW, and maybe the ONLY special player we have on this team on offense . . . u gotta get some value for the guy.

PerfectFISH69
01-21-2010, 01:03 PM
we are giving up way too much for possibilities...

rev kev
01-21-2010, 04:27 PM
I do agree it's alot of players but from our perspective...

W.Allen could be a cut because he carries a 5.2mil price tag and we have SS,VD,JA and could re-sign N.Jones for less then half that.

C.Crowder isn't needed for us because we picked up Dansby and my dream of McClain too.

G.Cam is a copy of two other players we already have, his contract is reasonable and they will more then likely lose Walter. I see Cam's spot being filled by Turner or a FA.

R.Brown is expendable for us, I like the guy but we built this Oline to power run behind it and we can get power runners easily. We have 3 good RB's in Williams, Cobbs and Hillard, then throw in Sheets to the mix.

P.Merling also can easily be said goodbye too with Starks, Langford, McDaniel, Dotson and Alama-Francis.

This clears some salary also to potentially bring another needed FA. Along with cutting Porter, Torbor and Wilson.

Obviousily if we can do it for less then we go that route but I think there are a few faults with some of the players we're trading so it needs to look as attractive as possible.

Gary Kubiak of all coaches will be on the hot seat and needs to make that next step to making the playoffs and one draft pick won't do that for them. This trade does alot in improving their O and D while not really hurting ours at all. The aspect of getting a ballhawking FS and stud ILB all in the same draft makes all the world for us and the 2nd round still gets us a SOLB or even a NT if one drops by any chance.

Like the thinking - got to give to get - but I think Merling is going to be fine and I like the depth at DE..., Ronnie sorry to say it should be packaged if and only if we can get something of value - otherwise keep him -

skipp2myloo13
01-21-2010, 04:35 PM
I like it. i would love to hold onto Crowder but i can totally see it as a positive for us. WE afre, however, in a big whole if/when McClain is gone at 12 and Thomas is gone at 20. But the way you imagined would be great imo. I would trade those replacement players fro a starting FS and ILB, plus we get Dansby.

tcolli17
01-21-2010, 04:45 PM
Ok, let me get this straight. You want to give up our best (shakes head in embarrassment) ILB, our most reliable WR, the third best D-Lineman in only his second year, our starting CB, our best offensive weapon, and two valuable draft picks for one unproven person? Are you friggin crazy? You would also have to cut one of our safety's next year. That's almost 5 starters gone for someone who might not even play next year. I don't even know if I would do that trade for Andre Johnson. (That might tempt me though)

XxfeensterxX
01-21-2010, 05:50 PM
To much for to little. Your putting all this faith into a guy that could easily bust and not perform at a high level(J.Allen)

Even if we traded all that to get a top 3 pick to grab Eric Berry(more confidence in him then E.Thomas) I would still be weary of it.

Ronnie Brown could still easily fetch a 2nd and 4th/5th if he passed a physical and had no lingering issues. (bad thoughts of RB in a Pats uniform knowing they have a bunch of 2nd round picks)

Will Allen could most likely get a 3rd, from a team like the Vikings(drafting late in a round & have weak secondary) that might be trying to shore up their secondary.

I wont get into the others but you would be better trying to get individual or package deal picks.

Obviously you did this to get us a 1st rounder and a shot at E.Thomas, but if we got Dansby I would be more willing to trade stuff to move up on our 1st pick to grab Eric Berry instead.

3rdandinches
01-21-2010, 07:20 PM
I like it. i would love to hold onto Crowder but i can totally see it as a positive for us. WE afre, however, in a big whole if/when McClain is gone at 12 and Thomas is gone at 20. But the way you imagined would be great imo. I would trade those replacement players fro a starting FS and ILB, plus we get Dansby.

We only do the deal after we have selected McClain and the 20th pick is up and Thomas is still sitting there otherwise it's a no go.

Then having Dansby and McClain we can try to trade Crowder by himself or packaged with Cam or whomever to add more picks.

3rdandinches
01-21-2010, 07:36 PM
Ok, let me get this straight. You want to give up our best (shakes head in embarrassment) ILB, our most reliable WR, the third best D-Lineman in only his second year, our starting CB, our best offensive weapon, and two valuable draft picks for one unproven person? Are you friggin crazy? You would also have to cut one of our safety's next year. That's almost 5 starters gone for someone who might not even play next year. I don't even know if I would do that trade for Andre Johnson. (That might tempt me though)

Crowder isn't in the same league as Dansby and McClain, so giving him up when we have these two makes sense. Why would you want to keep him and his contract? We're not getting rid of him before we get these guys we can't assume anything we need players signed before any move gets done.

Merling is a back up DE that still has potential, McDaniel has played better in the run and pass game at DE then Merling. We also have Dotson and Francis in the wings so it's not that big of a deal for us.

W.Allen will not come back and start for us any more, neither will Pennington. We've moved on with younger talent and we're not looking back. W.Allen will come back as a nickle and dime guy, at 5.2mil that seems alittle to high for that job. He can still be a very good starter elsewhere making him a valueable commodity. J.Allen and N.Jones wouldn't cost as much as W.Allen and are effective in those packages.

Brown is a difficult one to get rid of but he hasn't proven to be one that can finish a season. He's the equivalent of Pennington, has great upside but can't stay on the field long enough to matter.

G.Cam is no better then Bess or Hartline and doesn't have anymore upside. He is what he is and we have two of him already and Houston more then likely will lose their #2 K.Walter.

So we give up a backup DE, a replaced ILB, a CB that has lost his starting role, a WR that you won't notice gone and a runningback that teases his fan base of real talent that rarely gets a chance to fully shine all for a potentially awesome FS.

G.Kubiak is on the hot seat and needs to make something happen or he's gone. We need FS help and can afford talent wise to get rid of these guys, there also happens to be no FA FS worth picking up.

I understand some people think this is too much to give up but I see the return being worth it. I also don't see it happening, I see a better chance that we trade a few players for some mid round picks further stocking the shelves so to speak.