PDA

View Full Version : We need to draft a QB

LikeUntoGod
01-21-2010, 09:12 PM
And in a later round we should draft a 6'3" to 6'6", 210-240 pound QB with a strong arm (I think we should do this almost every year). That would give Pat White some real competition and maybe convince him to start working on being a WR etc.

In the 6th round last year, QB's Mike Teel, Tom Brandstater, Keith Null and Curtis Painter were drafted and all made their teams. Keith Null and Curtis Painter were still on the board for us in the 6th round.

I think either of them would have beaten out Pat White in a fair QB competition.

Xeticus
01-21-2010, 09:28 PM
And in a later round we should draft a 6'3" to 6'6", 210-240 pound QB with a strong arm (I think we should do this almost every year). That would give Pat White some real competition and maybe convince him to start working on being a WR etc.

In the 6th round last year, QB's Mike Teel, Tom Brandstater, Keith Null and Curtis Painter were drafted and all made their teams. Keith Null and Curtis Painter were still on the board for us in the 6th round.

I think either of them would have beaten out Pat White in a fair QB competition.

I think with Tyler Thigpen we are set at backup QB.

3rdandinches
01-21-2010, 09:43 PM
I agree 100 fold with drafting QB's but not every year. As long as Henne is the man then we should draft one every three years. It only makes sense to be prepared for a bad/long term injury to our starter. This has nothing to do with Thigpen, we need him as a reliable backup.

Just look at the Rivers/Brees scenario, Brady/Cassell and even Vick/Schaub. NE got a 2nd round pick for Cassell, Atlanta got two 2nd's for Schaub and only SD screwed up with Brees because he got injured. It only makes sense with the most important position in football to be well stocked.

skipp2myloo13
01-21-2010, 10:33 PM
I dont know im pretty comfortable at QB.

ChadHenne
01-21-2010, 10:40 PM
Yes, because with all the needs this team has, lets spend a draft pick on a QB who will compete for the emergency QB spot >_>

Sounds like a plan to me :(

DKphin
01-21-2010, 11:24 PM
Yes, because with all the needs this team has, lets spend a draft pick on a QB who will compete for the emergency QB spot >_>

Sounds like a plan to me :(
:lol2:

#1dolphinsfan
01-22-2010, 12:01 AM
I like thigpen as our backup qb I would like to see thigpen compete for the starting this offseason

Elliott 1
01-22-2010, 03:36 AM
I'd like to wait until next ear and draft Colin Kaepernick. He seems to me like one of those guys who may take awhile but could become elite after a few years.

JCane
01-22-2010, 03:43 AM
Wait...what?

What the hell have you guys seen from Tyler Thigpen that makes you believe that he is without a doubt a backup? And why the hell would anyone want to see him compete for the starting job?

Chad Henne is ready to GO. Believe that. That dude made some rookie mistakes like they all do and in time, the game will slow down for Chad and he'll be able to do incredible things.

Understand this...we're a running football team. The Wildcat was our bread and butter for WEEKS until Ronnie Brown went down for the season. Before that, we rarely threw the football because this team is NOT built for that at all. We have below average receivers and yet Chad Henne with as little experience as he has with no receiving corps still managed to throw several 300 yard passing games.

What do you guys need to see to buy into Chad Henne?

#1dolphinsfan
01-22-2010, 03:51 AM
Wait...what?

What the hell have you guys seen from Tyler Thigpen that makes you believe that he is without a doubt a backup? And why the hell would anyone want to see him compete for the starting job?

Chad Henne is ready to GO. Believe that. That dude made some rookie mistakes like they all do and in time, the game will slow down for Chad and he'll be able to do incredible things.

Understand this...we're a running football team. The Wildcat was our bread and butter for WEEKS until Ronnie Brown went down for the season. Before that, we rarely threw the football because this team is NOT built for that at all. We have below average receivers and yet Chad Henne with as little experience as he has with no receiving corps still managed to throw several 300 yard passing games.

a little QB battle never hurt anyone i think there should be a QB battle on ever team no matter who you QB is

Kdawg954
01-22-2010, 10:57 AM
I always think you should draft a QB in the draft, especially a team like Miami, that like to stack up on the late round picks.

Worse comes to worse, you get a guy you can bring on the PS and develop. Henne is ready, White is a wildcard and Thigpen is the veteran backup . . . we have our QB's, but u never know what u can uncover by developing a guy on the PS . . . hell look at Matt Schaub.

emeraldfin
01-22-2010, 11:04 AM
Maybe in the later rounds, but thats it.

LikeUntoGod
01-22-2010, 02:18 PM
If you read my post, I'm talking 6th or 7th round. Once again I said :

"In the 6th round last year, QB's Mike Teel, Tom Brandstater, Keith Null and Curtis Painter were drafted and all made their teams. Keith Null and Curtis Painter were still on the board for us in the 6th round. I think either of them would have beaten out Pat White in a fair QB competition."
We could/should have taken C.Painter instead of A.Gardner and in the 7th round instead of JD Folsom we could of taken Julian Edelman who the Patriots took 18 picks later.

If we had for some reason had still taken Pat White then he would have lost out as QB in preseason and would have shifted to WR/PR/QB.

This year, far as I'm concerned, we still need a 3rd QB.

Pat White is not able to run a full NFL style offense. And we could carry him as a WR which is a position that he needs to learn.

ZachThomas76
01-22-2010, 04:51 PM
Curtis Painter sure looked NFL ready against the Jets. I could care less who our 3rd string qb is, if your top 2 guys are injured for any length of time, you probably aren't goin anywhere anyway.

Pat White is a Dolphin, and I will cheer for him no matter what, just like Ted Ginn. :)

MiamiDolfan85
01-22-2010, 05:04 PM

we already used a 5th on Thigpen...IMO thats Miamis QB pick...

Pinkboy
01-22-2010, 05:15 PM

I don't know if you've been paying attention, but Miami recently traded their 2010 fifth round pick for a QB by the name of Tyler Thigpen... so we already gave up a later round 2010 pick for a young QB with upside.

Moreover, he is signed cheap with years left on his deal.. and he gives plenty for Pat White to worry about as it is.

No need to draft a QB.

LikeUntoGod
01-22-2010, 07:36 PM
With Thigpen we now have two players who can win games as a NFL QB. I think we should have a 3rd.

Xeticus
01-22-2010, 09:05 PM
With Thigpen we now have two players who can win games as a NFL QB. I think we should have a 3rd.We spent high draft picks on QB's the last 3 seasons plus we picked up Thigpen. We need all our draft picks at other positions. What are we going to do pick up a 4th QB and then sit on him?

BobDole
01-22-2010, 10:07 PM
With Thigpen we now have two players who can win games as a NFL QB. I think we should have a 3rd.

1. henne
2. pennington
3. thigpen

we have 3. but i'm with you - taking a flier with a late rounder isn't a bad idea.

zodiak
01-22-2010, 10:50 PM
Sure I believe just as Ron Wolf believed you draft a QB every year, you never know!

Look at NE they had a franchise QB in Bledsoe and still went fishing in the 6th rnd and found a HOF QB in Brady.

I do feel its important that when drafting a QB he fit a certain profile that your organization has as its model for QB.

For those that make fun fine make fun you just dont understand how to build a team your never set at QB, never even if you have a Brady,Brees or Marino.

BARF
01-22-2010, 10:54 PM
not really

X-Pacolypse
01-22-2010, 11:21 PM
No.

ticophin
01-23-2010, 12:07 AM
Wait...what?

I understad your point...but, I also have a thought that crosses my mind everytime that I watch Brees, Eli and Peyton, Brady, and maybe Big Ben...They are not afraid to air it out...CPenny is ultra conservative and a great game manager, but how many rings has he competed for (and I love his attitude, its just his willingness/armstrenght to throw the big 10 yd plus)...Henne has showed great promise, but I strongly believe he should air it out some more...Listen, those QBs I mentioned, have a ton of ints. in their carreers, I still remember Danny Boy used to break our hearts every so often....But he would have our heart stop every now and then with a long one, and one of the few times I felt that this past season, was the 4th quarter against the Steelers...
So, I think we need better weapons for our QBs, but not to draft YET ANOTHER QB...

MiamiDolfan85
01-23-2010, 07:31 PM
Sure I believe just as Ron Wolf believed you draft a QB every year, you never know!

Look at NE they had a franchise QB in Bledsoe and still went fishing in the 6th rnd and found a HOF QB in Brady.

I do feel its important that when drafting a QB he fit a certain profile that your organization has as its model for QB.

For those that make fun fine make fun you just dont understand how to build a team your never set at QB, never even if you have a Brady,Brees or Marino.
yea,but Bledsoe was an est. QB,not to mention NE was an est. team,and could afford the luxury of taking picks at positions that werent of need,when Miami and New England couldnt be any more of a different scenrio

#1dolphinsfan
01-23-2010, 08:11 PM
1. henne
2. pennington
3. thigpen

we have 3. but i'm with you - taking a flier with a late rounder isn't a bad idea.
no way in hell Pat White doesnt make the team. im not a fan of white and i never have been i dont like him as a QB but he will be our #2 or 3 QB behind Henne and Thigpen. pennington is going to go somewhere he could possibably start

NIXFINS
01-23-2010, 08:25 PM
I wouldn't mind the front office using a 6th on Dan LeFevour. Just not a 2nd for the 5th year in a row.

LikeUntoGod
01-24-2010, 06:39 AM
I think this year we have 3x6th and 2x7th round picks.

4 QBs who were drafted in the 6th round last year made their teams and are now playing in the NFL.

I'd prefer that Pennington stay and round out the 3 with Henne and Thigpen but if Pennington goes then IMO, we should take a flyer on someone, at least to get another arm in camp.

Kdawg954
01-24-2010, 11:26 AM
Pat White is a Miami Dolphin QB next season. U can't throw that pick away after one year, u have to stick with him. He is talented as hell, its not like we are trying to make filet mignon out of **** . . . Pat White is a quality football player. Same with Patrick Turner . . . people wanna cut him? I mean not everybody gets it after one year, but u have to have faith in your front office and in your coaching staff to ensure the talent and development.

Pennington is just going to confuse things, we already have Thigpen as the veteran backup. Take a flyer on a late round QB and try to develop him on the PS for a year or 2 . . . by then, u know what u have in Henne/Thigpen and White.

rent this space
01-24-2010, 11:27 AM
don't read too much into a 6th round QB "making the team". virtually every rookie QB makes their team, the position is too valuable to cut a player that soon. let's see where those guys are in three years.

2413fanphins
01-24-2010, 12:23 PM
if pat white can't hack it as a qb, theres no reason to keep him on the team.

if he had any true interest in being a a WR. he would have ran routes or at the very least say he'd do whatever to help the team.

it was a waste to draft him. thats all there is to it. we already have two undersized WR's. we don't need any more.

LikeUntoGod
01-24-2010, 03:45 PM
don't read too much into a 6th round QB "making the team". virtually every rookie QB makes their team, the position is too valuable to cut a player that soon. let's see where those guys are in three years.

I do not agree with that at all.

And most 6 round picks do not make their teams, I think last year was special with all four QBs making their team. And all four ended up at the end of the season on the 53.

We have 3x6 round picks and QB is the most important position in football.

Pat White would serve us better at least listed as a WR then as a QB.

rent this space
01-24-2010, 09:34 PM
I do not agree with that at all.

And most 6 round picks do not make their teams, I think last year was special with all four QBs making their team. And all four ended up at the end of the season on the 53.

We have 3x6 round picks and QB is the most important position in football.

Pat White would serve us better at least listed as a WR then as a QB.
I went back over the last 5 drafts and found only one guy(Jordan Palmer-'07 Redskins) that didn't at least make at least his team's practice squad in his rookie year. virtually all rookie QB's make the team

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?type=position

Mazinator1027
01-24-2010, 09:51 PM
I totaly agree. Every team should spend a pick on a qb every year even if they have a 25 year old marino. even if its in the 7th round. Depth is a necessity not a luxury.

bosco
01-25-2010, 12:19 AM
I like that Levi Brown kid. Wouldn't mind using a 6th or 7th on him

Awsi Dooger
01-25-2010, 01:55 AM
I totaly agree. Every team should spend a pick on a qb every year even if they have a 25 year old marino. even if its in the 7th round. Depth is a necessity not a luxury.

I agree with that philosophy. You have to gamble on your own scouting staff. Not drafting a QB is playing it safe, too darn safe in a league that rewards bold. The QB position is so vital you have to desperately try to upgrade, just like golfers who are forever tinkering with new drivers and new putters.

For one thing, college teams abuse the spread to such extreme these days that it's probably more likely that a pro style QB is either stuck in a reserve role somewhere, or being asked to do things that don't suit his ability.

2413fanphins
01-25-2010, 11:41 AM
I think pat white would better serve this team if he were off of it.

LikeUntoGod
01-25-2010, 01:50 PM
I went back over the last 5 drafts and found only one guy(Jordan Palmer-'07 Redskins) that didn't at least make at least his team's practice squad in his rookie year. virtually all rookie QB's make the team

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?type=position

I did not say Practice Squad, I stated the 53.

greasyObnoxious
01-25-2010, 02:01 PM
i'm not against it, but keep in mind we basically spent our 5th rounder in the upcoming draft on a QB.