PDA

View Full Version : I spoke to 2 scouts from the texans yesterday

Danny
01-21-2010, 09:15 PM
I'm a manager at TGIFriday's in Orlando and there're a lot of scouts here right now for the east-west game in Orlando.I asked them if they think Maclain from Alabama would be a good fit for us.Their response was this" how do you know they'd take him"? and "he may not even be there"......I asked them who's the best player coming out and they both said at the same time Suh(SP) the big DT.....I told them we'd not take him cause he's a DT and not a NT and they said we'd just switch to a 4-3 defence.Not that it matters cause he'll be long gone before we pick.They don't give you much info but when I mention the kid from Bama they both had this weird look in their faces.....I told them that maybe they wanted him and they got quiet......just wanted to pass it along.

Ozzy rules!!

Thumper1016
01-21-2010, 10:26 PM
Thanks for sharing. Have you had any other teams scouts come in?

NAPPS
01-21-2010, 10:29 PM
Hey I work at millenia fridays which one do you work at?

j-off-her-doll
01-21-2010, 10:42 PM
We would most certainly not switch to a 4-3 to accommodate Suh. Our deepest position on D is DE - all very specifically 3-4 DE's, and we just hired Mike Nolan (one of the top 3 DC's at running a 3-4). If they were being earnest, they're idiots.

Not like it matters: we won't be in a position to draft him.

As for McClain, I'm inclined to pass on him in the 1st - as I've said a million times - assuming he's there (he might not be). I think Spikes and Witherspoon are comparable if not better, and one of them will be there when we draft in RD 2. The only caveat: we like to draft in pairs. So, there's a small chance we take two ILB's in the first two rounds. But, I don't see that happening this year.

ckparrothead
01-21-2010, 11:21 PM
Scouts get weird period when you ask them stuff like that unless A) they know you, or B) you manage to convince them you know what you're talking about.

Lord Of Miami
01-22-2010, 06:40 AM
If they would of told me, we'd switch to a 4-3.I would of asked them if they were high, then walked away before they replied.

MP-Omnis
01-22-2010, 07:10 AM
I think they meant that Suh is the type of player that you would switch from a 3-4 to a 4-3 to accommodate. That he's that good, and not talking about the Dolphins specifically.

JCane
01-22-2010, 07:16 AM
Scouts get weird period when you ask them stuff like that unless A) they know you, or B) you manage to convince them you know what you're talking about.

Telling them that Eric Berry was a better prospect than Ndamukong Suh would have convinced them.

:up:

ckparrothead
01-22-2010, 11:25 AM
Telling them that Eric Berry was a better prospect than Ndamukong Suh would have convinced them.

:up:

You're correct. It would have promptly convinced them that their waiter thinks he knows what he's talking about, but really doesn't. :)

Finfan53
01-22-2010, 11:34 AM
I'm not too worried about picking in slot #12...but I'm concerned that we really hit big on our 2nd & 3rd round picks....which we really didn't do so well last year.
IF T. Cody and McClain from Alabama are available....I feel that Cody is the guy taken at that spot.

ZachThomas76
01-22-2010, 05:10 PM
You're correct. It would have promptly convinced them that their waiter thinks he knows what he's talking about, but really doesn't. :)

Thats the beauty of draft time. Everyone and their dog has an opinion on a player. Sometimes it comes true, sometimes it's way off. I mean, if these were the scouts that were high on Ryan Leaf, Andre Ware, Jamarcus Russell etc, it is entirely possible the guy serving them burgers does know more......................

ckparrothead
01-22-2010, 06:16 PM
Personally, I wouldn't confusing "being right" and "knowing more".

JCane
01-22-2010, 06:19 PM
C'mon CK, it's no secret that Eric Berry is the best player in this draft. Suh is gonna go first overall and Berry will probably slide to Tampa Bay at #3, but Tampa is getting a steal and 31 other teams are missing out. This kid is something special.

Ozfin77
01-22-2010, 08:48 PM
I'd take Suh before Berry if I was with a team that had a need at both positions.

In "our" scenario at Miami, then of course Berry would be the pick.

ckparrothead
01-23-2010, 01:19 AM
C'mon CK, it's no secret that Eric Berry is the best player in this draft. Suh is gonna go first overall and Berry will probably slide to Tampa Bay at #3, but Tampa is getting a steal and 31 other teams are missing out. This kid is something special.

I don't see how you come to that conclusion. Ndamukong Suh is one of the best defensive players to come out in a decade. He's easily the best defensive lineman I've ever graded coming out. You say "it's no secret" but the fact of the matter is Suh is being viewed as the type of can't miss defensive player that only comes out once in a long while.

Danny
01-23-2010, 09:51 AM
Hey I work at millenia fridays which one do you work at?

IO-DRIVE 2....I'm the KM there

Ozzy rules!!

Danny
01-23-2010, 09:52 AM
Thanks for sharing. Have you had any other teams scouts come in?

the 2 guys I talked to were from the Houston Texans....2 tables over were 3 guys from the saints but I didn't get a chance to talk to them.

Ozzy rules!!

Danny
01-23-2010, 09:54 AM
I think they meant that Suh is the type of player that you would switch from a 3-4 to a 4-3 to accommodate. That he's that good, and not talking about the Dolphins specifically.

exactly what they meant.They both felt he's that good and they know he won't be there when we draft anyway.

Ozzy rules!!

Danny
01-23-2010, 09:55 AM

I'm not a waiter btw....lol

Ozzy rules!!

Valandui
01-23-2010, 11:13 AM
I'm not too worried about picking in slot #12...but I'm concerned that we really hit big on our 2nd & 3rd round picks....which we really didn't do so well last year.
IF T. Cody and McClain from Alabama are available....I feel that Cody is the guy taken at that spot.
Sean Smith?

NRA
01-23-2010, 02:49 PM
i HIGHLY DOUBT suh couldnt play NT.

in fact, i think he would THRIVE at NT.

many, many NT's in the nfl were DT's in college.

those scouts were spot on about one thing concerning mcclain,
"who says he is the one they would pic anyways?"

i agree. i dont think the finz are as spit slobber over mcclain as so
many fans are. and i doubt they are hanging there draft on him
[or any other player] not being there.

we have MANY holes and there are MANY players besides mcclain who are
worthy of the #12 spot.