PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Draft Spotlight: Jerry Hughes - OLB - TCU

Conuficus
01-22-2010, 01:05 AM
Hi guys, as promised Jerry Hughes is now up with video. This is the largets compilation of plays we've done thus far, so it should give you guys plenty of food for thought.

http://www.universaldraft.com/2010/01/22/2010-spotlight-olb-jerry-hughes-tcu/

Enjoy!

Lord Of Miami
01-22-2010, 06:32 AM
Good Job!

Did you see him in the Utah game lol he was playing a 1st year kid and he just destroyed the kid lol to funny.Every other play looked like it' was from a highlight reel.

Anyways this Guy is the BOMB.

Conuficus
01-22-2010, 07:47 AM
Good Job!

Did you see him in the Utah game lol he was playing a 1st year kid and he just destroyed the kid lol to funny.Every other play looked like it' was from a highlight reel.

Anyways this Guy is the BOMB.

Yeah, some of it, but that matchup wasn't fair. His first few steps are just so smooth.

RealDriscoll
01-22-2010, 10:16 AM
Yeah I am not oppossed at taking Hughes in anyway. I don't care if we have Cameron Wake either

TedSlimmJr
01-22-2010, 10:53 AM
Good job...

Sergio Kindle was also a runningback in high school....yet these two are completely different players with completely different skillsets...almost polar opposites....despite being almost identical in size.....

Where Hughes lacks the upper body strength....Kindle has it in spades IMO...(most Muschamp defenders in the front 7 do)....vice versa on lower body strength...

Where Hughes fails to hold the POA....Kindle relishes taking on a block and shows the ability to stack and shed without getting pushed back....Hughes is almost always driven backwards in the run game when the tackle gets his hands on him....this is a liability in the run defense department...especially in the NFL...

Hughes is much smoother in his COD and redirects.....more of a speed rusher than Kindle...yet neither runs the arc to get to the the QB like Orakpo did....

Working with Hughes on how to use his hands and arms better in order to maintain the hip seperation between himself and the blocker is going to be the first order of business for his position coach to fix (same thing with Mario Williams when he was a rookie)...

Both Hughes and Kindle will make the smoothest transitions to stand-up linebackers in a 3-4 defense IMO....yet they will play two different positions...

Hughes is strictly a weakside linebacker in a 3-4....and has the potential to be a stud there with some coaching on techniques.....and obviously will have to get used to rushing from the other side in the NFL...

ckparrothead
01-22-2010, 11:35 AM
I think that encapsulates it. Honestly I like both players.

uga3406
01-22-2010, 11:44 AM
I still like norwood better

hooshoops
01-22-2010, 12:51 PM
the question is where do you like both players ie hughes and kindle relative to our current draft picks...

as in pick #12 pick #43 or pick #74

WelcomeBack
01-22-2010, 01:07 PM
the question is where do you like both players ie hughes and kindle relative to our current draft picks...

I'm not sure if they make it to #43 at the moment. Maybe.

I'd think trade back to the later 1st to get one if there is no solid option at #12.

Conuficus
01-22-2010, 01:15 PM

I could see us taking Hughes at 12. Simply because as this process plays out, I think you'll see him test well aside from the bench at INDY. His shuttle times etc should be pretty good his athleticism and speed. As such, he'll likely be rated higher than he is now, and then add to the fact that as a 3-4 team players like Kindle, Hughes, Brandon Graham etc. will be even more valuable.

GB still needs an OLB, as do the Pats, we do as well. That's 3 teams off the top of my head. Plus with Hughes first step, and consistency in terms of stats throughout college he should rise.

Maybe I'm higher on him than most, but I wouldn't say oh **** we took him at 12. Ware was not ranked as highly as Hughes is now and he rose. Some people have compared Hughes to Ware for what it's worth.

hooshoops
01-22-2010, 01:17 PM
hughes really depends for me on what cam wake is to us long term...i know i keep saying that but that's where i'm at...i've read some stuff where ireland has been quoted saying wake needed to get better at some things and he has and that we will "be seeing a whole lot more of wake in the future."

the question is what does that mean??? does that mean that wake will be the starting wolb next year??? that's kind of the way i interpret it but lets be real...wake hasn't taken any real snaps on the weakside or standing up in the regular season...and i know i read reports in season that the regime wasn't happy with wakes development as an all around lb...is that true??? who knows

if wake isn't the long term wolb and just a situational pass rusher with his hands in the dirt than i feel hughes should be in consideration at pick #12 and definitely in any trade back scenario in the 1st round...

kindle isn't someone i dislike or anything...it's just that at pick #43 i'm REALLY hoping someone with a solid 1st round grade may slip to us...ie a brandon graham if he can play standing up etc...

therefore i have kindle as a guy who at #74 right now at least i would look at him...likely gone before that but like i said pick #43 i'm hoping someone who will be a MAJOR contributor from the day he sets his foot in the training compound is the pick...and i see kindle as a developmental project as a solb

hooshoops
01-22-2010, 01:19 PM
I could see us taking Hughes at 12. Simply because as this process plays out, I think you'll see him test well aside from the bench at INDY. His shuttle times etc should be pretty good his athleticism and speed. As such, he'll likely be rated higher than he is now, and then add to the fact that as a 3-4 team players like Kindle, Hughes, Brandon Graham etc. will be even more valuable.

GB still needs an OLB, as do the Pats, we do as well. That's 3 teams off the top of my head. Plus with Hughes first step, and consistency in terms of stats throughout college he should rise.

Maybe I'm higher on him than most, but I wouldn't say oh **** we took him at 12. Ware was not ranked as highly as Hughes is now and he rose. Some people have compared Hughes to Ware for what it's worth.

i couldn't agree more with that...for my eyes hughes is the goods and i don't want new england getting a shot at him

and i think you nailed it that he will rise

Conuficus
01-22-2010, 01:46 PM
i couldn't agree more with that...for my eyes hughes is the goods and i don't want new england getting a shot at him

and i think you nailed it that he will rise

Of course now that I've said that, he'll fall like a stone or something. :lol:

j-off-her-doll
01-22-2010, 03:41 PM
hughes really depends for me on what cam wake is to us long term...i know i keep saying that but that's where i'm at...i've read some stuff where ireland has been quoted saying wake needed to get better at some things and he has and that we will "be seeing a whole lot more of wake in the future."

the question is what does that mean??? does that mean that wake will be the starting wolb next year??? that's kind of the way i interpret it but lets be real...wake hasn't taken any real snaps on the weakside or standing up in the regular season...and i know i read reports in season that the regime wasn't happy with wakes development as an all around lb...is that true??? who knows

if wake isn't the long term wolb and just a situational pass rusher with his hands in the dirt than i feel hughes should be in consideration at pick #12 and definitely in any trade back scenario in the 1st round...

kindle isn't someone i dislike or anything...it's just that at pick #43 i'm REALLY hoping someone with a solid 1st round grade may slip to us...ie a brandon graham if he can play standing up etc...

therefore i have kindle as a guy who at #74 right now at least i would look at him...likely gone before that but like i said pick #43 i'm hoping someone who will be a MAJOR contributor from the day he sets his foot in the training compound is the pick...and i see kindle as a developmental project as a solb

Feel the same. Thomas and Hughes (as potential Dolphins) depend a lot on Clemons and Wake. I do, though, think Wake is strong enough to play SSOLB. I just don't know that it'd be the best fit for his talents. So, if the staff likes Wake at SSOLB, Hughes becomes really attractive. Long time for all this to play out.

BobDole
01-22-2010, 08:21 PM
i like hughes far more than i do kindle. hughes will make a much more smoother transition into the NFL - whereas kindle will need some work before he can/should crack a starting lineup. i wouldn't necessarily be mad at us taking hughes with our first rounder - i'd be furious if we took kindle with that pick.

zodiak
01-22-2010, 10:37 PM
I enjoy the knowledge here great job guys, as for my opinion, I like hughes mostly his explosive pass rush.

Its important IMO that players like this (conversion players) fit what's going to be asked of him Hughes I feel will make a nice wolb--Kindle seems like he might need to be a SOLB as many have said it is somewhat dependant on Wake and does the team view Wake as a W or S LB?, just my opinion Wake is a Weak OLB and they will be looking for a SOLB Im mostly basing this on the OLB prospects they targeted last draft and most of them ended up playing SOLB.

I dont feel drafting a OLB is of great priority, I have stated before I would be comfortable in a worse case scenario going into the season with OLB compitition between Wake,Anderson & Moses.

You cant fix 5 need area's( NT,ILB,FS,WR,TE) in one draft and also add to a bit of strength, again I feel OLB is an area currently not a great need or major weakness.

I feel heading into the draft that they will look to address the middle of the defense and remake the LB corp,ILB mostly.

dr.jake
01-23-2010, 12:34 PM
norwood would be a stretch at #12 but very viable. any other 1st round LB pick not named mcclain would require a dropback and 2nd round move up to warrant any value considerations. pray that mcclain lasts.yippeekayaaa.

DOC33
01-23-2010, 01:48 PM
I one player that you are leaving out of this discussion that I think needs to be considered is D. Morgan. The trifecta has very specific ht/wt requirements for OLB's in their system. Hughes and Graham do not meet those specifications so on one level they should not even be part of the discussion. Can Parcells and his posey change?? Without question, however, up until now we have no reason to believe that they will. Also, probably of positions that we absolutely have to have in this draft SOLB is probably at the top of the list along with NT and ILB. Some would argue that FS is a must have, however, historically the trifecta has never placed a priority on FS in the draft. IMO they will try to aquire a vet FS which is what they did in Dallas for years.

Further, Kindle and Hughes at least early in their careers will obviously be WOLB. Both have issues with holding the point and further both seem to wear down as the game goes on in College, one can only imagine what it will be like in the pros with a 20 game schedule up against players that are bigger and stronger. In addition MIA has WOLB's Porter/JT ( which ever stays) Wake at least for now seems to be a better fit on the weakside and even Anderson and Torbor can play the weakside fairly well. One other thing is that this draft is much deeper in later rounds with late round weak side developmental types than strong side developmental types. So MIA can always take a flyer on a weakside guy in rounds 4-7. If they hit great, if not oh-well.

Most of what you read is that Morgan is not ideal to transition to OLB in the 3-4 but MIA plays the 3-4 a little differently than a lot of teams. Their SOLB have been Roth ( 6-4 270ish) Moses ( 6-5 270ish ) and now Brian Johnson (6-4 265ish ) heck they even tried to convert Vonnie Holiday ( 6-5 280ish ) to SOLB. Morgans athletisim is no worse than any of those players in fact it is much better. Further, his speed is much better than all of them. He has the long arms that they trifect loves and as far as running the arc he is not much different than any of the players mentioned above and he does hold the point better than anyone mentioned as a first rd OLB. Plus he has the motor that is missing in Kindle which is the only other player that meets the size requirements. A lot will be determined once the combine comes around and we can really determine Morgans quicks and speed ( pay attention to the shuttle and 3-cone specifically ) but I would certainly consider him one of the top 3-4 players on MIA's Board

Conuficus
01-23-2010, 04:29 PM
I one player that you are leaving out of this discussion that I think needs to be considered is D. Morgan. The trifecta has very specific ht/wt requirements for OLB's in their system. Hughes and Graham do not meet those specifications so on one level they should not even be part of the discussion. Can Parcells and his posey change?? Without question, however, up until now we have no reason to believe that they will. Also, probably of positions that we absolutely have to have in this draft SOLB is probably at the top of the list along with NT and ILB. Some would argue that FS is a must have, however, historically the trifecta has never placed a priority on FS in the draft. IMO they will try to aquire a vet FS which is what they did in Dallas for years.

Further, Kindle and Hughes at least early in their careers will obviously be WOLB. Both have issues with holding the point and further both seem to wear down as the game goes on in College, one can only imagine what it will be like in the pros with a 20 game schedule up against players that are bigger and stronger. In addition MIA has WOLB's Porter/JT ( which ever stays) Wake at least for now seems to be a better fit on the weakside and even Anderson and Torbor can play the weakside fairly well. One other thing is that this draft is much deeper in later rounds with late round weak side developmental types than strong side developmental types. So MIA can always take a flyer on a weakside guy in rounds 4-7. If they hit great, if not oh-well.

Most of what you read is that Morgan is not ideal to transition to OLB in the 3-4 but MIA plays the 3-4 a little differently than a lot of teams. Their SOLB have been Roth ( 6-4 270ish) Moses ( 6-5 270ish ) and now Brian Johnson (6-4 265ish ) heck they even tried to convert Vonnie Holiday ( 6-5 280ish ) to SOLB. Morgans athletisim is no worse than any of those players in fact it is much better. Further, his speed is much better than all of them. He has the long arms that they trifect loves and as far as running the arc he is not much different than any of the players mentioned above and he does hold the point better than anyone mentioned as a first rd OLB. Plus he has the motor that is missing in Kindle which is the only other player that meets the size requirements. A lot will be determined once the combine comes around and we can really determine Morgans quicks and speed ( pay attention to the shuttle and 3-cone specifically ) but I would certainly consider him one of the top 3-4 players on MIA's Board

Anthony Spencer is 6'3''....DeMarcus Ware is 6'4''

Both Hughes and Graham are listed as 6'2'' I doubt that one inch prohibits them from the discussion. If that were true, the Jake Long wouldn't have been out selection, nor would Vontae Davis. Parcells would never have done either move. Spencer was Ireland's pick, and he seems to have done well.

Jeff Ireland is very much in control of the draft, just the last 2 years would say so given the picks and what rounds they were selected in.

And as for Torbor playing the weak side I cannot see that happening. Charlie Anderson gets his 2.5 sacks a year and not much else, so relying on him for more chances are is a mistake.

72champagne
01-24-2010, 01:15 AM
don't see taking Hughes at #12.