PDA

View Full Version : Dolphins serious about drafting MARDY GILYARD

DOLMET
01-23-2010, 06:30 AM
It looks like Dez Byrant will be gone before the 11th or 12 pick. I have a couple of friends, that work for the Dolphins, and my sources have told me, they will be taking a strong look at Cincinatti's Mardy Gilyard. If Bill Parcell's gets his head out of his butt, the choice more than likely will be Gilyard. Gilyard would look great in a Dolphins uniform, but Parcells likes to do things his way, so don't be surprised if he doesn't pick a wide receiver. I love Gilyard, he's 6'1, he has great hands, good speed, and he's tough. Parcell is a stubburn idiot, so he won't pick him, instead he'll pick an overachiever, like Kyle Brady or something.

greasyObnoxious
01-23-2010, 06:33 AM
It looks like Dez Byrant will be gone before the 11th or 12 pick. I have a couple of friends, that work for the Dolphins, and my sources have told me, they will be taking a strong look at Cincinatti's Mardy Gilyard. If Bill Parcell's gets his head out of his butt, the choice more than likely will be Gilyard. Gilyard would look great in a Dolphins uniform, but Parcells likes to do things his way, so don't be surprised if he doesn't pick a wide receiver. I love Gilyard, he's 6'1, he has great hands, good speed, and he's tough. Parcell is a stubburn idiot, so he won't pick him, instead he'll pick an overachiever, like Kyle Brady or something.

hopefully, we're not talking about our first round pick. i'd be happy with Gilyard at #43.

clownfish
01-23-2010, 06:57 AM
hopefully, we're not talking about our first round pick. i'd be happy with Gilyard at #43.

Or Golden Tate at #43....that is, as long as we get McClain or Berry (pipe dream) at #12.

sm0kinfins
01-23-2010, 07:21 AM

Wait a minute... What you're saying is that Parcells is an idiot if he doesn't draft this kid because he would look good in a Fins uniform? For seriously? :facepalm:

If it were up to me he'd do what he always does, regardless of where his head is, and draft based off talent/need and not based off whether the kid would make the cover of an Abercrombie & Fitch catalog. Priorities man priorities...

EPIC FAIL!

JCane
01-23-2010, 07:21 AM
Or Golden Tate at #43....that is, as long as we get McClain or Berry (pipe dream) at #12.

Just say NO to Golden Tate. That kid has some great hands, etc., but he has some SERIOUS separation issues. He had the benefit of an NFL ready QB in Jimmy Clausen but Golden Tate had problems seperating from Purdue defensive backs. If you can't get separation in the BIG 10, you're NOT going to separate from NFL receivers. We need a true #1 and Golden Tate would be nother more than a solid #2 or a great #3 option.

As far as Mardy Gilyard....we are not spending the #12 pick on him. That's just asinine. That's a Ted Ginn-esque pick.

greasyObnoxious
01-23-2010, 07:38 AM

i think there's a strong possibility of a trade down if McClain is gone at #12.

Kiick72
01-23-2010, 07:48 AM
i think there's a strong possibility of a trade down if McClain is gone at #12.

I have been thinking the same thing. As everyone says, it is out of character for this group to draft a receiver in the first. I think it would have to be a serious value pick for them to pull the trigger on one that early. My guess at 12 is McClain if he is there and if not, a trade down and pick up of Cody for nose tackle I see as likely, if we haven't already addressed the nose position in the limited free agency that is out there this year.

greasyObnoxious
01-23-2010, 07:51 AM
I have been thinking the same thing. As everyone says, it is out of character for this group to draft a receiver in the first. I think it would have to be a serious value pick for them to pull the trigger on one that early. My guess at 12 is McClain if he is there and if not, a trade down and pick up of Cody for nose tackle I see as likely, if we haven't already addressed the nose position in the limited free agency that is out there this year.

maybe even Jerry Hughes or Dan Williams after trading down.

Mr772
01-23-2010, 08:33 AM
There is no way McClain is there at #12. Dan Williams is the guy who I'm thinking we take unless Spiller looks appealing to them he may be the best player available at 12 if we can't get out of that spot.

emeraldfin
01-23-2010, 08:36 AM
Only receiver worth picking at 12 is Bryant.

If Bryant is not there at 12, we dont draft a receiver there.

Kiick72
01-23-2010, 08:57 AM
There is no way McClain is there at #12. Dan Williams is the guy who I'm thinking we take unless Spiller looks appealing to them he may be the best player available at 12 if we can't get out of that spot.

While I agree that it is doubtful that McClain is there at 12, every year there are a couple of players that don't go where you think they should. So, you never know. I really think we will trade down here if we don't see the value on the board.

NBP81
01-23-2010, 10:27 AM
I dont expect them to pick up a NT early in the draft. Its a no flash position that is usually filled with lower picks to be groomed. There are exceptions but there are no Wilforks in this draft so I'd be surprised if they went for that position before the 3rd round.

2413fanphins
01-23-2010, 10:29 AM
heres how I see it shaping up.

if mcclain is gone, but bryant falls to twelve. we will all be collectively holding our breathe. I for one, would take him. I remember working on the road and my brother called me the year brady quinn fell, and I think the whole world thought we were taking him, I was running dozer, and my bro had to call me back cuz we used the whole clock to make the selection.

I can't see spiller falling that far, but if he does I wouldn't complain about taking him either. RB seems like it would be a luxury pick. given ronnies history with injuries and ricky in his last year, and the backup situations we got, I'd be happy with maybe one of the best players in spiller.

no spiller, no bryant, no mcclain... I would hope to hell we trade down and grab a NT.
we could get another decent LB in the second like an aj edds or someone of his caliber. If we don't take bryant, the only other receiver I am really interested in is benn from illinois. I'm not sure he would be a #1 but I think he could be solid. needs some coaching and some work though.

I am really just desperately hoping that mcclain falls. I think Nolan is going to want his defensive stud.

I have to admit I will be disappointed if for whatever reason we take a DE or CB with the 12th overall.

miamiron
01-23-2010, 11:05 AM
I have a couple of friends, that work for the Dolphins, and my sources have told me,

We have all heard this or a different variation
"A friend of a friend"

JCane
01-23-2010, 11:19 AM
Why are some of us so set on drafting CJ Spiller when the shelf life of NFL running backs in today's league is roughly four or five years? Doesn't seem to me like we're getting a great return on our investment.

Sure CJ is a great talent but if he's only in his prime for four years then what's the point? The NFL has never been more physical and more violent than it is today. And don't hand me this "No Fun League" and "pussification of America" because of all the rules in place to protect players. These rules are in place today because of the extreme violence that exists between the sidelines. Running backs take a BEATING in today's game when they're getting 20 - 30 carries a game.

It's not too difficult to see that the philosophy of the league is changing. How offenses are built is changing drastically. Spread offenses are here and they will become more prominent over the next couple of seasons. There will be a lot of great teams in this league that resemble what Arizona and New Orleans are now. Teams will need two legitimate downfield threats and a solid third receiver.

The running game is no longer relied on the way it was 10 years ago. I'm not saying that the running game will be completely eliminated or that teams won't need to run the football anymore, but the running game will become more of a situational attack rather than the primary point of attack. Teams will still need to run the ball in short yardage situations, goal line situations and for purposes of clock management. But the new NFL is all about big time offenses and getting big chunks of yardage in individual plays.

Bopkin02
01-23-2010, 11:30 AM
Gilyard at 12 or before 20, from what I can tell, WAY too early. It's so hard to tell what's going to be happening in late April this early; but if things panned out:
Round 1 #12 - R McClain
Round 2 #43 - M Gilyard
Now that works for me. We'll see about McClain. How many people ahead of us are yearning for a LB?

Kdawg954
01-23-2010, 11:32 AM
Ok, Mardy Gilyard in the first round is on the level of Ted Ginn in the first round. I rather take one of those OTs in round 1 and kick Carey inside, then take Gilyard in round 1.

72champagne
01-23-2010, 12:06 PM
your defense gives up 390 points and you take a wide receiver at 12 after Cameron was raked over the coals for a similar busted idea and your own latest second round waste of a White pick raised eyebrows about your FO competence.

sounds like a brilliant move. keep dreamin.

JCane
01-23-2010, 12:08 PM
Denver seems to be the only other likely destination for McClain. But you gotta think that at some point in the offseason, they deal Brandon Marshall to someone dumb enough to take that gutterball. When that happens, they'll certainly need another option at the receiver spot. Dez Bryant would make the most sense. Other than that, Kansas City could use McClain but at #5, that's a bit of a reach when Russell Okung will be sitting there. The Chiefs are going to do the same things the Patriots did to become so dominate and it begins with beefing up that offensive line.

EFWilson
01-23-2010, 12:22 PM
What happens if McClain and Bryant are both gone and Miami is unable to trade out of 12? I dont see Miami taking a RB at 12, so who is plan C ? This year seems like a good year for a "whos that? " type pick. Hope I'm wrong, but you never know.

Kdawg954
01-23-2010, 12:27 PM
What happens if McClain and Bryant are both gone and Miami is unable to trade out of 12? I dont see Miami taking a RB at 12, so who is plan C ? This year seems like a good year for a "whos that? " type pick. Hope I'm wrong, but you never know.

Earl Thomas - FS
CJ Spiller - RB
Brandon Spikes - ILB
Sean Weatherspoon - ILB
Jerry Hughes - OLB
Derrick Morgan - OLB
Sergio Kindle - OLB
Terrence Cody - NT (not my personal choice, but an option)
Dan Williams - NT
Brandon Graham - OLB
Jermaine Gresham - TE

Some guys may have 2nd round grades right now . . . but we still have a long way to go.

Xeticus
01-23-2010, 12:56 PM
The problem is we can't depend on McDaniel's to trade Brandon Marshall. Maybe he decides to show him who's boss and refuses to trade him. Then where are we when they pick McClain at 11?

Then we are stuck with drafting a player who might be BPA but at a position we don't need like CJ Spiller or we reach for a player at a position of need but who would probably be available at a later round.

If we want to guarantee that Denver doesn't pick McClain we should trade them Crowder and Ayodele and a draft pick for Brandon Marshall. Then they'll have 2 new LB's to shore up their LB corps and they'll need to replace Marshall. It'll never happen but it would be SO sweet if it did.

JCane
01-23-2010, 01:46 PM
Earl Thomas - FS
CJ Spiller - RB
Brandon Spikes - ILB
Sean Weatherspoon - ILB
Jerry Hughes - OLB
Derrick Morgan - OLB
Sergio Kindle - OLB
Terrence Cody - NT (not my personal choice, but an option)
Dan Williams - NT
Brandon Graham - OLB
Jermaine Gresham - TE

Some guys may have 2nd round grades right now . . . but we still have a long way to go.

I would dwindle this list down to Earl Thomas, Sergio Kindle, Terrence Cody, and Dan Williams. Although it's highly unlikely that Bill Parcells wouldn't be able to trade down and get great value for the pick.

2413fanphins
01-23-2010, 02:03 PM
I think you could say the only guy you would be getting decent value with would be cj spiller. he'll be a game changer and a playmaker.

as for the others...

Brandon Spikes - ILB... about ten picks too early for me right now.
Sean Weatherspoon - ILB... really undecided on him, but still too early
Jerry Hughes - OLB
Derrick Morgan - OLB
Sergio Kindle - OLB....way too underdeveloped in way too many areas for #12.
Terrence Cody - NT... I'm thinking he'll be a beast. I would like him. still early.
Dan Williams - NT...some like him better than cody. I don't yet. but still I want a NT at like 18-24 or so.
Brandon Graham - OLB... very intriguing.
Jermaine Gresham - TE...definately an upgrade. at least at first glance.

basically though, the common theme for me is not getting #12 value out of the majority of those guys. of course we have the shrine bowl, the combine and prodays to hammer it all out.

mcclain, bryant, spiller... after that IMO, it falls off pretty rapidly.

Roman529
01-23-2010, 02:05 PM
I like Gilyard but NOT in the first round.

Roman529
01-23-2010, 02:10 PM

I would go with CJ Spiller....it sounds like Ricky could retire to go to med school after the 2010 season, and you never know about Ronnie's health.

NRA
01-23-2010, 02:19 PM
Just say NO to Golden Tate. That kid has some great hands, etc., but he has some SERIOUS seperation issues. He had the benefit of an NFL ready QB in Jimmy Clausen but Golden Tate had problems seperating from Purdue defensive backs. If you can't get seperation in the BIG 10, you're NOT going to seperate from NFL receivers. We need a true #1 and Golden Tate would be nother more than a solid #2 or a great #3 option.

JCANE: was the purdue game the only one you watched? must have been because the
strength of his game is SEPERATION!!

his senior year he had 93 catches, 1,496 yds and 13 td's. he had 2 more rushing td's
and 2 more on returns. thats 17 td's in a big school, in a pro style offense.

so considering those stats, he must be able to seperate from someone huh?

he is worth the #12 hands down. awsome wr and return man. two positions
we need with ONE draft pic. thats BIG VALUE at the #12.

to many people just have DEZ on the brain [who i wouldnt mind at #12].

MARDY GILYARD is one of my favorite players in this draft and could end up
being the best wr taken depending on the team he goes to. i doubt they do it at
#12, but if he landed in a finz uniform, i would jump for joy as we need a REAL
wr in the worst way.

#1dolphinsfan
01-23-2010, 02:28 PM
I am a huge fan of Gilyard I would love to see him in Miami if we don't get Bryant

MiamiDolfan85
01-23-2010, 02:48 PM
theres only going to be 2 WRs going in the first round for sure,and Gilyard is barely in the top 10 of WRs available....he'll have a good chance at being at our 3rd round selection....Im sure of it

#1dolphinsfan
01-23-2010, 03:01 PM
theres only going to be 2 WRs going in the first round for sure,and Gilyard is barely in the top 10 of WRs available....he'll have a good chance at being at our 3rd round selection....Im sure of it
i doubt he will be there in the third after all said and done he will be a second round pick

j-off-her-doll
01-23-2010, 03:41 PM
I would dwindle this list down to Earl Thomas, Sergio Kindle, Terrence Cody, and Dan Williams. Although it's highly unlikely that Bill Parcells wouldn't be able to trade down and get great value for the pick.

I have Kindle as a 3rd round player - though, he'll likely go earlier due to the combine numbers I expect him to post. Williams is interesting, but 12 is very high for a NT. Cody is a 2nd rounder - unless he gets in better shape. E. Thomas, though, has Ed Reed written all over him.

#1dolphinsfan
01-23-2010, 03:51 PM
Gilyard at 12 or before 20, from what I can tell, WAY too early. It's so hard to tell what's going to be happening in late April this early; but if things panned out:
Round 1 #12 - R McClain
Round 2 #43 - M Gilyard
Now that works for me. We'll see about McClain. How many people ahead of us are yearning for a LB?
That would be awesome if we got McClain and Gilyar

Clipse
01-23-2010, 04:29 PM
WOW. Yea, I highly doubt you spoke to somebody in the Dolphins organization who said they were highly considering Mardy Gilyard at the 12th pick. Parcells doesn't need to get his head out of his *** to draft him at 12th, because he's not worth anything close to a 12th overall pick. Gilyard is nothing but another #3, #2 at best WR in a draft chock full of them.

JCane
01-23-2010, 04:31 PM
JCANE: was the purdue game the only one you watched? must have been because the
strength of his game is SEPERATION!!

his senior year he had 93 catches, 1,496 yds and 13 td's. he had 2 more rushing td's
and 2 more on returns. thats 17 td's in a big school, in a pro style offense.

so considering those stats, he must be able to seperate from someone huh?

he is worth the #12 hands down. awsome wr and return man. two positions
we need with ONE draft pic. thats BIG VALUE at the #12.

to many people just have DEZ on the brain [who i wouldnt mind at #12].

MARDY GILYARD is one of my favorite players in this draft and could end up
being the best wr taken depending on the team he goes to. i doubt they do it at
#12, but if he landed in a finz uniform, i would jump for joy as we need a REAL
wr in the worst way.

93 Catches
1,496 Yards
13 TDS

Now what am I going to do with a bunch of numbers that tell me nothing about his route running abilities or his separation skills? Golden Tate has great hands and tremendous leaping ability. He's going to win the majority of jump balls.

So what he has are pretty good numbers. Good, not great considering that Notre Dame plays a schedule full of big and slow BIG 10 teams. Golden Tate isn't exceptionally fast either. There are some concerning flaws in his game that will pose problems for him at the next level. In the SEC, Golden Tate is still a good receiver, but he's less of a deep threat. Eric Berry would embarrass this kid.

Spending our 12th overall pick on Golen Tate would be an absolute waste and damn near the equivalent of that fail from a few years ago when we rolled the dice on Ted Ginn. We need a true #1 receiver. We need a go-to guy. Big time major league athlete. We don't need a receiver with concerning flaws who does a little bit of everything and nothing really exceptionally well. Golden Tate is a good player and he'll be taken LATE in the first round.

JCane
01-23-2010, 04:33 PM
I have Kindle as a 3rd round player - though, he'll likely go earlier due to the combine numbers I expect him to post. Williams is interesting, but 12 is very high for a NT. Cody is a 2nd rounder - unless he gets in better shape. E. Thomas, though, has Ed Reed written all over him.

How in the world do you have Sergio Kindle as a third round projection? That kid is mid-first round talent all day. And I'm not saying that Terrence Cody and Dan Williams are worthy of the 12th pick in the draft but if I couldn't trade down and Rolando McClain is gone and I have to fill a severe need; these are options that are available.

utahphinsfan
01-23-2010, 04:53 PM

Detron Lewis (Texas Tech) @ #43... Though, I would not mind Gilyard there either.

#1dolphinsfan
01-23-2010, 04:58 PM
Detron Lewis (Texas Tech) @ #43... Though, I would not mind Gilyard there either.
that would be a reach gilyard it much better

j-off-her-doll
01-23-2010, 05:06 PM
How in the world do you have Sergio Kindle as a third round projection? That kid is mid-first round talent all day. And I'm not saying that Terrence Cody and Dan Williams are worthy of the 12th pick in the draft but if I couldn't trade down and Rolando McClain is gone and I have to fill a severe need; these are options that are available.

Kindle isn't a good pass rusher. By NFL standards, he'll be a poor pass rusher. He's terrible at penetrating in general. If you watch him play, all of his sacks and TFL's come from running down plays (coverage sacks etc.). He's a great athlete, and he could well develop into a good pass rusher, but what the hell do you want with an OLB (in a 3-4 scheme) that sucks at getting in the backfield? I think someone will take him in the late first or early-to-mid 2nd, because of his athleticism, but I sure as hell hope that we don't. Brandon Graham is MUCH better than Kindle. I wouldn't mind grabbing Dan Williams in a trade-down situation. I don't want Cody until RD 2 (if at all).

j-off-her-doll
01-23-2010, 05:07 PM
93 Catches
1,496 Yards
13 TDS

Now what am I going to do with a bunch of number that tell me nothing about his route running abilities or his seperation skills? Golden Tate has great hands and tremendous leaping ability. He's going to win the majority of jump balls.

So what he has are pretty good numbers. Good, not great considering that Notre Dame plays a schedule full of big and slow BIG 10 teams. Golden Tate isn't exceptionally fast either. There are some concerning flaws in his game that will pose problems for him at the next level. In the SEC, Golden Tate is still a good receiver, but he's less of a deep threat. Eric Berry would embarrass this kid.

Spending our 12th overall pick on Golen Tate would be an absolute waste and damn near the equivalent of that fail from a few years ago when we rolled the dice on Ted Ginn. We need a true #1 receiver. We need a go-to guy. Big time major league athlete. We don't need a receiver with concerning flaws who does a little bit of everything and nothing really exceptionally well. Golden Tate is a good player and he'll be taken LATE in the first round.

Agree here. Stay away from Tate.

AccordOn13z
01-23-2010, 07:46 PM
Mardy is a route running beast! Not to mention hes pretty quick. He could do some serious damage in the NFL with his hands and body control. Mclain 1st and Mardy in the 2nd is AMAZING first 2 rounds.

hooshoops
01-23-2010, 10:06 PM
6 ft 1 180 lbs...gilyard looks like a nice player...but he needs to get off press at the senior bowl...he does create separation in and out of his cuts though

although saying gilyard is a better pro wr prospect than dez bryant is NUTS

Elliott 1
01-23-2010, 10:24 PM
Actually Gilyard is 5'11.7" and 185lbs. runs around 4.5.

A little faster than Bess but a lot slower than Ginn. All of them are pretty small.

I don't see it at all.

PALMA
01-23-2010, 11:35 PM
This team should trade down from #12 and draft nothing but juniors. With a 2011 lock-out approaching, players will be losing a year to their career.

If Gilyard's grade has been 2nd round all season, it should stay that way. Late risers are dangerous picks.

skipp2myloo13
01-24-2010, 01:30 PM
Anything that is Mcclain, Bryant, Spiller, Thomas, Hughes or Spoon is cool by me.

thefranchisedef
01-26-2010, 02:46 AM
i went to school with mardy gilyard, he's a good guy.. he's definitely stand up! He isnt extremely fast, fast non-the-less. He's too small to be a number 1.. maybe in round 2 but, i dont see it happening.

Awsi Dooger
01-26-2010, 04:05 AM

I'm not advocating Golden Tate at #12. But he does many things exceptionally well. He's more the antithesis of Ted Ginn than a comparison.

Tate can make a half dozen quick and instinctive moves or weaves on any given play. He's got wonderful athletic arrogance a la Steve Smith or DeSean Jackson or Wes Welker. Otherwise I wouldn't compare him to Jackson but I see plenty of Welker and Smith. He's not as smooth as Smith but it's the same type of attitude; you simply can't cover me. Tate has a pinball style, very difficult to knock off his feet. He'll burst between tiny gaps, keep his feet on the sideline before turning upfield, and in general does all the little things well to extend plays and steal yardage. He plays more compact than his listed size, until it's a jump ball situation. Then he goes and gets it. Fierce hands and he really wants the ball. That alone separates him from Ginn.

Tate would be a perfect fit for a 3-wide team, filling a Welker-type role, gobbling vital 3rd down passes but more ability to go deep than Welker. The league would have hell covering him if it's a sophisticated passing attack. If he gets stuck on a run oriented team or one with a mediocre QB, then his value diminishes exponentially, IMO, very similar to Welker as a Dolphin vs. Welker as a Patriot. I can't see Tate as a true #1 for the typical team. But I'd hate to try to defend him twice per season.

JCane
01-26-2010, 04:12 AM
I'm not advocating Golden Tate at #12. But he does many things exceptionally well. He's more the antithesis of Ted Ginn than a comparison.

Tate can make a half dozen quick and instinctive moves or weaves on any given play. He's got wonderful athletic arrogance a la Steve Smith or DeSean Jackson or Wes Welker. Otherwise I wouldn't compare him to Jackson but I see plenty of Welker and Smith. He's not as smooth as Smith but it's the same type of attitude; you simply can't cover me. Tate has a pinball style, very difficult to knock off his feet. He'll burst between tiny gaps, keep his feet on the sideline before turning upfield, and in general does all the little things well to extend plays and steal yardage. He plays more compact than his listed size, until it's a jump ball situation. Then he goes and gets it. Fierce hands and he really wants the ball. That alone separates him from Ginn.

Tate would be a perfect fit for a 3-wide team, filling a Welker-type role, gobbling vital 3rd down passes but more ability to go deep than Welker. The league would have hell covering him if it's a sophisticated passing attack. If he gets stuck on a run oriented team or one with a mediocre QB, then his value diminishes exponentially, IMO, very similar to Welker as a Dolphin vs. Welker as a Patriot. I can't see Tate as a true #1 for the typical team. But I'd hate to try to defend him twice per season.

I'd take Golden Tate over Ted Ginn every time I was offered. That's a no-brainer. But at this point today, you can't justify spending the 12th overall pick on Tate. Just can't be done. If you want to get him at #43, ok. Maybe so. But we gotta get the best player we can at 12 and the best value.

Rolando McClain has to be that guy....or Eric Berry.

;)

Pinkboy
01-26-2010, 05:18 AM
Gilyard had a lot of drops yesterday at the senior bowl and looked terrible. but I won't hold that against him.

And Golden Tate has a big problem with creating separation. I'm not saying he can't be a productive player in the NFL, but imo he will never live up to his draft position. He has serious separation issues, like we need more of that.

Golden Tate has a tailback type lower body trying to play WR in the NFL.. Not only does he have a tailback body, but he moves like a tailback.... I'm sorry, but it ain't happening. He will never be great in the NFL. You don't want your tailback consistently lining up out wide trying to beat a good NFL corner on the outside on an island.

Golden Tate may end up being a decent flanker playing the slot, or a decent #2 if he has Peyton Manning, Brees or Brady as his QB, but that's about it. And we already have those types. The very last thing we need is to waste a high pick on a slot type WR.

I really hate this WR class outside of Dez Bryant.

If we want to really improve the WR position, and want a real #1 receiver... it will happen either by drafting Dez, making a trade, or FA if things go right.

But this 2010 WR class is really lacking overall. This class sucks after Dez Bryant.

Clipse
01-26-2010, 08:01 PM
Gilyard had a lot of drops yesterday at the senior bowl and looked terrible. but I won't hold that against him.

And Golden Tate has a big problem with creating separation. I'm not saying he can't be a productive player in the NFL, but imo he will never live up to his draft position. He has serious separation issues, like we need more of that.

Golden Tate has a tailback type lower body trying to play WR in the NFL.. Not only does he have a tailback body, but he moves like a tailback.... I'm sorry, but it ain't happening. He will never be great in the NFL. You don't want your tailback consistently lining up out wide trying to beat a good NFL corner on the outside on an island.

Golden Tate may end up being a decent flanker playing the slot, or a decent #2 if he has Peyton Manning, Brees or Brady as his QB, but that's about it. And we already have those types. The very last thing we need is to waste a high pick on a slot type WR.

If we want to really improve the WR position, and want a real #1 receiver... it will happen either by drafting Dez, making a trade, or FA if things go right.

But this 2010 WR class is really lacking overall. This class sucks after Dez Bryant.
This. I would imagine we could plug in an Antonio Bryant or whomever and survive one season. Next year's draft is chock full of very good WR prospects.

RobertHorry
01-26-2010, 08:05 PM

Eh, I do like Freddie Barnes.

Pinkboy
01-26-2010, 08:07 PM
This. I would imagine we could plug in an Antonio Bryant or whomever and survive one season. Next year's draft is chock full of very good WR prospects.

Yes, the 2011 crop of WR's is so much better. Whoever drafts a receiver (outside of Dez) early in the first 2 rounds of this 2010 draft will be reaching.

A 2nd round receiver in this draft would be a 4th or 5th round receiver in next year's draft. And a late first rounder in this draft would be a late 2nd or a 3rd round receiver in next year's draft... and so on.

It's just crappy.

RobertHorry
01-26-2010, 08:10 PM
Yes, the 2011 crop of WR's is so much better. Whoever drafts a receiver (outside of Dez) early in the first 2 rounds of this 2010 draft will be reaching.

A 2nd round receiver in this draft would be a 5th round receiver in next year's draft. And a late first rounder in this draft would be a late 2nd or a 3rd round receiver in next year's draft... and so on.

It's just crappy.

Freddie Barnes at least warrants an early 3rd round pick.

hooshoops
01-26-2010, 08:19 PM
Freddie Barnes at least warrants an early 3rd round pick.

i don't think so...solid hands runs decent routes but not going anywhere after the catch...

i think someone pegged him when they said he was a jason avant type pro... a #3 wr

taylor price imo has more upside...and the same good hands and definitely more sudden

i think arrelius benn and golden tate warrant pick #43...i don't know about anybody else

gilyard has looked better on tape to me than he looked yesterday in the practice...something was off yesterday...i have yet to watch todays north practice to see if he fared any better yet today...and i want to see him get off press...

and if we make the playoffs and i think we all feel we should next year there's no guarantee that any of 2011's stud wr crop will be available at a pick in the #20's

hooshoops
01-26-2010, 09:32 PM
cnnsi reporting that several teams have top 60 grades on wr taylor price of ohio...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/01/26/seniorbowl.tuesday/index.html

hooshoops
01-26-2010, 11:11 PM
gilyard looks much better today...got off press nicely...has burst and quickness that i didn't see yesterday...

i'm chalking yesterday up to what i now know was deydration...

2413fanphins
01-27-2010, 06:11 PM
i'd say tate, and been at 43 is in line.

gilyard, have to wait and see more of him.

KDog13
01-27-2010, 10:50 PM
I hope We Get Gilyard. Big Fan of him. He is a good 2nd round pick for us.

RockyMtnPhinfan
01-28-2010, 12:48 AM
might not have been the greatest way to kick off your ninth post........

Seems ridiculous to me at 12

Some other observations through Wednesday's early session:
() Virginia cornerback Chris Cook has impressed. He made a nice break on a Tony Pike out to former Cincinnati teammate Mardy Gilyard (purely a slot man at this point, and the Dolphins have those already) for an intercepting that got his North teammates jacked up this morning.

You telling me you think we should spend our 12th pick on ANOTHER slot guy?

305finforlife
01-28-2010, 11:21 AM
Trade down Trade down and this is the draft to to it... We will only keep the pick for McCoy, McClain, Suh, or Berry ... which they wont be there. Everyone in the league knows this, that why being at the Senior Bowl and coaching the team, helps us one find a player that we like out side of those mentioned, but also build up the stock in other players thus allow teams to reach more for them. Creating that market and teams know Miami would be a willing partner ... which helps with compensation and the level of the picks, like a mid late one and a high three or low two (especially involving teams that have two picks in those respective rounds).