PDA

View Full Version : Myron Rolle

next-year
01-24-2010, 09:30 PM
6' 2" 215 pound safety from Florida state

http://myronrolle.com/

kid is unbelievable

he played highschool ball in princeton and played with one of my friends who started at corner back with him. watching him was crazy he played rb fro them too and was a monster. He is very very fast and has great football smarts along with being a genius off the field.

Pinkboy
01-24-2010, 09:34 PM
I see the Dolphins drafting a safety like Chad Jones or Rolle (or another one they may like) in the mid rounds moreso than drafting a little guy like Earl Thomas at #12

This is a crazy good and deep draft for safeties. They won't pick one in the first round unless something crazy happens with Berry.

hooshoops
01-25-2010, 12:27 AM
rolle wasn't anything special at fsu before he went all harry potter on everybody...

pass

Dolfan4life34
01-25-2010, 01:15 AM
I like rolle and having plenty of safety talent in this draft i agree no to thomas at 12 unless we have no other choice and he is bpa.

justdev7
01-25-2010, 01:24 AM
Huge safties who have great strait line speed never work out except for Sean Taylor who was amazing. They look great on paper but rely too heavily on their athleticism and end up getting beat despite their freakish athletic ability. Al Davis might just draft Myron Rolle, Chad Jones, and Taylor Mayes, but I want no part of it. Earl Thomas, Robert Johnson, and Nate Allen are the only safeties we should be looking at IMO.

Dolfan4life34
01-25-2010, 01:25 AM
6' 2" 215 pound safety from Florida state

http://myronrolle.com/

kid is unbelievable

he played highschool ball in princeton and played with one of my friends who started at corner back with him. watching him was crazy he played rb fro them too and was a monster. He is very very fast and has great football smarts along with being a genius off the field.

i like the fact he was working out with santonio holmes and darren sharper that could only have helped

Dolfan4life34
01-25-2010, 01:31 AM
Huge safties who have great strait line speed never work out except for Sean Taylor who was amazing. They look great on paper but rely too heavily on their athleticism and end up getting beat despite their freakish athletic ability. Al Davis might just draft Myron Rolle, Chad Jones, and Taylor Mayes, but I want no part of it. Earl Thomas, Robert Johnson, and Nate Allen are the only safeties we should be looking at IMO.

nate allen is my favorite safety as well but some ppl say he could move himself into the bottom of the first round which does us no good.

Pat-London
01-25-2010, 08:56 AM
before he went all harry potter on everybody...

pass

Hahahaha... that just cracked me up.

BobDole
01-25-2010, 09:01 AM
another athletic safety with coverage problems. pass for me as well.

OrlandoFin
01-25-2010, 10:51 AM
I bleed Garnet and Gold and Rolle was unimpressive during his time at FSU. He has the skills but never seems to live up to the potential. Now part of that could have been the scheme. Andrews hung around several years after the game passed him by calling the same schemes that worked in the 90's. Rolle could have been part of that, but I am not sold on him. I will say he is obviously very smart, so get him the right caoching and he could develop into a better pro than he was in college.

ckparrothead
01-25-2010, 01:17 PM
Rolle is ridiculously bright. With his athletic ability and brains, I do see him being an NFL success.

greasyObnoxious
01-25-2010, 01:19 PM
Rolle is ridiculously bright. With his athletic ability and brains, I do see him being an NFL success.

he wasn't offered a Rhodes Scholarship for nothing

NashPhin
01-25-2010, 05:45 PM
He reminds me of a guy I went to school with, Corey Chavous, in his football smarts. Chavous had a nice NFL career.

TedSlimmJr
01-25-2010, 05:52 PM
Obviously an intelligent kid with his priorities in order....mature for his age....impressive physical specimen and one of the best looking prospects standing there in his underwear at the Senior Bowl.....easy to root for...

But he's got some issues if he plans on being a legitimate safety in the NFL....I dont think his football instincts are great...and certainly not good enough to make up for his lack of COD and questionable speed and range..

Boomer
01-27-2010, 01:21 PM
Had the fortune to spend some time with Myron in London and he's one hell of an impressive character. He has to be the equal of Tebow in interviews. The guy is Presidential in his outlook. Seriously. Talks like a future US President. He was also in great shape and it was no surprise to me that he looked in better shape than anyone at the weigh in and has been lights out so far in Mobile.

Xeticus
01-27-2010, 08:41 PM
A guy that smart and athletic I'd be happy if the Dolphins gave him a shot with say a 4th round pick. How good do you guys think he'll be at pass protection?

#1dolphinsfan
01-27-2010, 08:46 PM
I would love to see rolle in Miami next year

j-off-her-doll
01-27-2010, 08:54 PM
If we pass on Earl Thomas and go after this kid, I'll be upset. From everything I hear, he sounds like a great person, but didn't he have like 1 INT over the course of his entire FSU career. That's 1/8 of Thomas' total this season. The pitcher from LSU seems like a better pick, but he's still to E. T.

Pinkboy
01-27-2010, 09:34 PM
For safeties, I could see this regime liking Larry Asante somewhere in round 4 or 5.

He's fundamentally sound, smart, and comes to play with passion on every play. More of a SS type though. And Asante is having a very strong week at the senior bowl practices.

Put it this way, I like him a lot more than Taylor Mays. That Mays fella is going to be a major bust. I wouldn't even take him in round 6, there are so many safeties better than him in this draft it's not even funny.

It really is a very strong and deep draft for safeties

j-off-her-doll
01-27-2010, 09:39 PM
For safeties, I could see this regime liking Larry Asante somewhere in round 4 or 5.

He's fundamentally sound, smart, and comes to play with passion on every play. More of a SS type though. And Asante is having a very strong week a the senior bowl practices.

Put it this way, I like him a lot more than Taylor Mays.

I like him - more than Mays, too - but I think we're pretty strictly in the market for a ball-hawking FS. I might be wrong. But, it's how I see our needs playing out.

Pinkboy
01-27-2010, 09:44 PM
oh yeah, we need a centerfielder out there at safety who can make plays. no doubt.

But I was just saying Asante has the make up this Miami regime looks for in a player. He's tough, smart, disciplined, and fundamentally sound.

rrrrphin
01-27-2010, 09:57 PM
i'm liking what thy said about kam chancellor at the shrine practices. he might be an option in 3rd or 4th if he lasts that long

Pinkboy
01-27-2010, 10:04 PM
I really like Nate Allen.

But THREE Allen's in the secondary ?

Will won't last long at his age coming off a serious knee, likely this will be his final year with the team. All he will be is a nickel and dime back for us next year.

and Jason is probably out of here soon.

j-off-her-doll
01-27-2010, 10:05 PM
oh yeah, we need a centerfielder out there at safety who can make plays. no doubt.

But I was just saying Asante has the make up this Miami regime looks for in a player. He's tough, smart, disciplined, and fundamentally sound.

Yeah, definitely. I noticed that he does a lot better in team drills than 1-on-1's, and I think that's a plus. Means he understands how to use his surroundings to maximize his talents.

hooshoops
01-27-2010, 10:16 PM
larry asante looks like a ss to me...and i have some concerns about him in coverage...

but i still like him a lot more than taylor mays...taylor mays as a fs is a joke...

TOAST

rolle has looked better to me the first few days of these practices than he ever has at any point while at fsu...i think we should stay away cause the games i recall weren't much to be excited about

hooshoops
01-27-2010, 10:19 PM
nate allen is intriguing...better in coverage than i thought and seems to have not bad hips...and getting extra tutelage from the coaching staff...

Pinkboy
01-27-2010, 10:21 PM
Since we like to draft in pairs and in three's, do not be surprised if we pick Two safeties in this draft.

Think about it. If there ever was a draft to pick up a pair of safeties and load up at the position, this draft is it.

Clemons we are still uncertain on. Yeremiah is getting old. And then there is the Gerbil, who may be cut.

Regardless, I think we will pick up at least one safety. this draft is just too deep in the position not to.

#1dolphinsfan
01-27-2010, 10:22 PM
larry asante looks like a ss to me...and i have some concerns about him in coverage...

but i still like him a lot more than taylor mays...taylor mays as a fs is a joke...

TOAST

rolle has looked better to me the first few days of these practices than he ever has at any point while at fsu...i think we should stay away cause the games i recall weren't much to be excited about
Mays has the perfect build of a Saftey like Mayock has been saying all week he just isnt going to do you any good in man to man covrage his hips arnt fluid enough

hooshoops
01-27-2010, 10:30 PM
Mays has the perfect build of a Saftey like Mayock has been saying all week he just isnt going to do you any good in man to man covrage his hips arnt fluid enough

mays is way too much hype...i've reviewed enough of his senior stuff to say that...and he has a NASTY habit on tape of coming in soft ie breaking down on a downhill ball carrier way too early giving a runner too much cushion...i'm talking makes me sick when i watch it... gives up way too many yards where he with all his athletic ability and speed should be attacking ball carriers...he lets them dictate...

unlike the eric berrys and the earl thomas' etc who come in hot and aggressive...

mays can when he does go full bore arrive in a hurry but he takes bad angles has poor change of direction and by my account does not have good tackling form...

Pinkboy
01-27-2010, 10:31 PM
Mays has the football IQ of a mule

He's a total dummy, who just so happens to be a workout warrior. Just like Vernon Gholston was.

Pinkboy
01-27-2010, 10:35 PM
You know who really shined in man-to-man coverage drills today was Virginia's Chris Cook.

He's 6'2 and 215. And he covered receivers like a blanket beating receivers to the ball today. Very good hips, burst and suddenness from what I saw today. He closed in fast like a smaller corner would.

Cook played free safety but filled in at corner when there was injuries. So you know he can cover to fill in at corner.

hooshoops
01-27-2010, 10:37 PM
kam chancellor was very impressive at the shrine bowl...looked to me like he was ready to come in and start as an in the box safety for a pro team right now...

the most impressive thing was how strong he was in coverage...i didn't see that coming...

i don't think he's a fs...he's an in the box physical force imo...

but again i didn't see that kind of consistency especially in coverage when i watched va tech games...

hooshoops
01-27-2010, 10:40 PM
You know who really shined in man-to-man coverage drills today was Virginia's Chris Cook.

He's 6'2 and 215. And he covered receivers like a blanket beating receivers to the ball today. Very good hips, burst and suddenness from what I saw today.

Cook played free safety but filled in at corner when there was injuries. So you know he can cover to fill in at corner.

he was impressive...i'm a uva fan...i've seen every one of cooks games...uva employed a lot of 8 yards off the ball coverage so i never really got to see him press guys but he wasn't all that impressive to me at uva...ras i dowling was the guy i thought has the pro upside...

he's that corner safety tweener..but his press man coverage today was impressive...i'm just leary of those tweeners...

Pinkboy
01-27-2010, 10:47 PM
Nobody in the NFL gave Lacey a shot but the Colts.. And look how well he has played this year as a rookie in their secondary.

I could see the Dolphins drafting a safety in the first 3 rounds somewhere, and then going back to safety in round 6 picking a guy like Cook. Maybe not him, but a guy in round 6 who has value there with all the safety depth in this class

Now Cook was projected to be a 7th rounder and he may shoot up with a good senior bowl week. But with all the safety talent in this draft, I really see Miami picking 2 safeties.

This is the year to double up on safeties, loading up on the position. This is a crazy good and deep safety class. And they should take advantage of that by doubling up as it is one of our holes anyway.

#1dolphinsfan
01-27-2010, 11:17 PM
mays is way too much hype...i've reviewed enough of his senior stuff to say that...and he has a NASTY habit on tape of coming in soft ie breaking down on a downhill ball carrier way too early giving a runner too much cushion...i'm talking makes me sick when i watch it... gives up way too many yards where he with all his athletic ability and speed should be attacking ball carriers...he lets them dictate...

unlike the eric berrys and the earl thomas' etc who come in hot and aggressive...

mays can when he does go full bore arrive in a hurry but he takes bad angles has poor change of direction and by my account does not have good tackling form...
I never said he was going to be good i just said that he had the perfect build to be a saftey

Pinkboy
01-27-2010, 11:20 PM
A safety the Dolphins could have had their eye on for awhile is Utah's FS Robert Johnson. They did pick Sean Smith out of Utah so I am sure they got a glimpse of Johnson's 2 INT performance against Alabama in the 09 Bowl game.

Johnson is a true Free Safety who has good instincts for the ball. He is a natural ballhawk. He really played some awesome football at the end of the 09 season, he just dominated on the field and stood out as the best player on the field.

He was a leader on their defense and had 6 INT's this season. He had 13 INT's in his 3 seasons at Utah.

Plus he has size at 6'2" and 200 lbs. He can also run well timed at 4.45, and has good agility along with very good closing speed with very good explosion. His short area quickness is excellent.

He ran track during his freshman year running a 21 something 200m, so it's not just short area quickness.

He may play up high at times, but he is a guy no one really talks about here. What a safety class this is.

Lord Of Miami
01-27-2010, 11:28 PM
Robert Johnson also looks like he just smoked a bowl and is playing on a ice skates when he try's to make a tackle in the open field.

If you only go by his last game, sure he looks the part.........but if you go back and watch all his games he has a'lot to work on.

Go back and watch the TCU game then come here and say how good he is , lol cuzzz it won't happen.

Pinkboy
01-27-2010, 11:31 PM
I never said he was going to be good i just said that he had the perfect build to be a saftey

Maybe in the 1980's when the league had some big safeties, and great rushing attacks was the path to the super bowl. But not in today's game he doesn't.

Not in the passing league the NFL has become. Mays is a 4-3 weakside LB. This guy will be awful in coverage either at free or strong safety. I would love to go up against that stupid dud if I was an offensive coach, because I would target him in the passing game to burn his pathetic arse for easy big gains when I needed a play.

#1dolphinsfan
01-28-2010, 02:16 AM
Maybe in the 1980's when the league had some big safeties, and great rushing attacks was the path to the super bowl. But not in today's game he doesn't.

Not in the passing league the NFL has become. Mays is a 4-3 weakside LB. This guy will be awful in coverage either at free or strong safety. I would love to go up against that stupid dud if I was an offensive coach, because I would target him in the passing game to burn his pathetic arse for easy big gains when I needed a play.
I think i am going to have to go with the pro scouts on this and Mike Mayock according to Mayock and who ever else the other saftey is with him at the senior bowl says he has the perfect BUILD for a saftey there not saying he is the best saftey just that he has the perfect build. yes i agree he isnt very good in Man to man covrage but he is decent in helping out other players there are a lot of holes in his game that he needs to fix and they are in coverage and if he can fix those holes he would be a top saftey in the NFL it only takes a little bit of work he has the physical talent he just needs to be coached in his coverage. If he makes it to the second round which i doubt he will i wouldnt mind seeing him in miami where our secondary coach and teach him and he can learn behind Yeremiah bell for a couple years and when he is ready take over our SS spot i dont think he is a FS because as a FS you have to play Man to Man on TE's and RB's at times and i dont think that he would be able to do that

Pinkboy
01-28-2010, 04:37 AM
Actually Mayock and Chavous talked about Mays for a few minutes today during practice, and they agreed with everything I said about him.

I mean you really have to be blind not to see it.. You need to pay closer attention. Taylor Mays is as stiff as a brick. He is like an old man in a young man's body. He cannot swing his hips at all, there is no swivel to him which is very vital for a safety in today's game.

Moreover, his awareness and instincts are absolutely terrible. And they didn't improve at all over his college career, not even in the slightest bit. He is not a natural at the position, neither physically or mentally, unlike other safeties in this draft. That is another big red flag.

Those things cannot be taught. he has serious deficiencies to his game. He will end up being a 4-3 LB at the next level when all is said and done. Unless he busts there too.

Mays hasn't made any game changing plays in college. He wasn't a difference maker in the Pac-10 and you think he will be in the NFL? In the NFL where players are bigger, stronger and faster, he won't have any physical advantage over players he will be going up against, and his deficiencies will be even more exposed. And his very marginal and meager football talent, further exposed.

But like I called Gholston predicting he'd be a total bust months before the 08 draft, it will be the same for Mays at any of the two safety positions. He will be absolutely atrocious in the NFL at any safety spot. Because guess what, strong safeties have to cover too, and strong safeties HAVE to be smart..

Look at all the top strong safeties in the NFL, they are all very smart and have a high football IQ level, with top level instincts.....and Taylor Mays is as dumb as dirt with no real instincts to speak of whatsoever- it moves at the same pace of his stiff hips. Mays has the football IQ level of a rented mule.

NFL caliber offenses will target him in their gameplan's and tear him apart. Because he is so easy to confuse with his lack of instincts, and because physically he is such a big liability in pass coverage (as a free OR strong safety). Pro QB's will fully take advantage of all his deficiencies.

Mays is a bum.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2010tmays.php

Weaknesses:
Takes false steps in coverage and poor angles
Lacks instincts
Zero ball skills
Not much of a playmaker
Poor tackling technique; throws body around without using arms/hands to wrap up
Hasn't improved his weaknesses going back to sophomore season
Occasionally not in position
Plays out of control
More of an athlete than a football player

Summary: Mays isn't a free safety at the next level; no chance he pans out there because he is horrible in coverage and has zero ball skills. Mays idea of playing football is running and throwing his body around, which is why I am giving him the nickname “The Trojan Torpedo.” I think Mays can start at strong safety for some team, but he will be pretty average.

Mays is the Vernon Gholston of safety prospects. Sure he has great measurables, but so did Gholston. I personally wouldn't draft Mays in the top 40 picks, but his draft range is all over the board. He could go top five to a team like Oakland or he could fall to the lower part of the first round.

Player Comparison: Roy L. Williams. It's like someone cloned Roy Williams; Mays and Williams are the EXACT same player. Mays will struggle greatly in coverage at the next level, but he hits hard and is good in run support. Buyer beware.

Boomer
01-28-2010, 07:32 AM

He's 6'2 and 215. And he covered receivers like a blanket beating receivers to the ball today. Very good hips, burst and suddenness from what I saw today. He closed in fast like a smaller corner would.

Dolphins have a lot of interest in Cook. A lot.

Pinkboy
01-28-2010, 08:20 AM
Cook totally shut down Gilyard the other day, including an INT on an out route on a pass from Tony Pike yesterday (while covering Gilyard).

Gilyard had a bad day that day partly because of Cook's coverage (to go with the couple drops Gilyard had).

I'm guessing that Gilyard was so frustrated with Cook blanketing him on those few plays, that he lost concentration causing him to drop those balls immediately afterwards.

just a hunch.

hooshoops
01-28-2010, 08:56 AM
robert johnson doesn't interest me...he looks like a career backup to me...and his lower half to me is pencil thin...

interesting that we're showing a lot of interest in chris cook...he played great ball his first year at uva and then blew his knee out then came back and was kicked out for a year then came back again and i think played safety then was moved back to corner this year...

it wouldn't surprise me in the least if al groh didn't use his talent the right way by playing cook off the ball...it's grohs mo to misuse his talent...

cook changed his number to 2 at uva when he returned from his year off the team cause he viewed it as a "2nd chance..."

might not be a bad late pick...but not first 4 rounds imo...

hooshoops
01-28-2010, 09:05 AM

i fail to see how that matters so much...either the guy can play or he can't play...either he has good hips and awareness and change or direction or he doesn't...either he has good tackling fundamentals etc...or he doesn't

he's a rocked up action figure...gibril wilson has a pretty good build and he's a HORRID free safety

Pinkboy
01-28-2010, 06:03 PM
Edgar's article from today pretty much agrees that Taylor Mays is a 4-3 OLB and not a safety, as I have been saying for months.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/2010/01/28/senior-bowl-giving-dolphins-plenty-to-chew-on/

Tony Sparano and the Dolphins' front office has seen plenty of Taylor Mays out of USC -- a player who likely won't play safety in the NFL. (AP)

- Despite some impressive physical tools, USC safety Taylor Mays will not be able to cover consistently in the NFL.

The 6-foot-3, 231-pound Mays has made a couple of impressive hits downfield in between the numbers, but this hasn’t hidden a number of concerns. Observers wonder if he could be cut from the same cloth as Carolina Panthers’ LB Thomas Davis.
Davis was a big, hard-hitting safety at Georgia who was moved to LB in the NFL.

SI.com draft analyst Tony Pauline said Mays, despite being timed running the 40 in 4.32 seconds, struggles to pedal in reverse, cannot plant his foot and drive to the ball and cannot go outside the numbers.

Oraclepz
01-29-2010, 08:51 PM
wouldnt mind Rolle or Nate Allen with mid round picks