PDA

View Full Version : Which NFL team (president, GM, Coach, etc...) drafts best and why?

Phinstrodamus
01-27-2010, 12:43 PM
All this talk about Parcells drafts' history, makes me wonder what team organization has the best talent / draft evalulators in recent years. Your opinion and why, and is Miami close to the top, middle, or bottom with Trifecta?

CW_McGraw
01-27-2010, 12:46 PM
The Steelers and it's not even close. That team has been the most well run in the league since the 70s. The Pats and Colts are seen as good drafters simply because they have Hall of Fame QBs. The Steelers were good before Ben Roethlisberger and will continue to be a contender after he leaves.

greasyObnoxious
01-27-2010, 12:48 PM
Bill Polian and the Colts in general. no one is better at finding guys who fit their scheme to a T.

RobertHorry
01-27-2010, 12:49 PM
Patriots and Colts.

SuperMarksBros.
01-27-2010, 12:50 PM
Jets. Remember all those killer FB's and TE's they drafted in the 1st round in the 80's and 90's?

Etuoo33
01-27-2010, 12:51 PM
All this talk about Parcells drafts' history, makes me wonder what team organization has the best talent / draft evalulators in recent years. Your opinion and why, and is Miami close to the top, middle, or bottom with Trifecta?

Nice thread....but you didn't mention yours and why!

newlownorder
01-27-2010, 12:56 PM
Bill Polian and the Colts in general. no one is better at finding guys who fit their scheme to a T.

Polian was in Buffalo before that and was crucial in their Super Bowl runs. My vote is Polian, he is a master.

Phinstrodamus
01-27-2010, 01:01 PM
Colts, An example is Pierre Garcon in the 7th round last year???? Wow!! They have the best win percentage of the past decade, hince Superbowl 40, and finally they are one of the youngest NFL teams.

Adam First
01-27-2010, 01:09 PM
Colts, Patriots (Scott Pioli era), even the Packers.

I'd say, after a decade of deplorable draft choices, we are on our way up.

Vaark
01-27-2010, 01:11 PM
I agree both that it's Polian and his confirming body of works extends back to Buffalo before The old man's daughter ran him off. Beyond him, AJ Smith, while seeming to be a jerk and crappy HC selector, has done a great job compiling his team mostly through the draft including Gates, Rivers, Merriman. I'm especially impressed with the size metrics and abilities of his receiving corp.

foozool13
01-27-2010, 01:14 PM
1. Pitts
2. Colts
3. Pats

CW_McGraw
01-27-2010, 01:17 PM
Would the Colts be seen as a tremendous organization without Peyton Manning? Would Bill Belichick be a genius without Tom Brady? People are giving the Pats more credit than they deserve. They were a coin flip away from picking Tim Rattay. If Drew Bledsoe doesn't get his shoulder ripped apart against the Jets, the Pats fade into obscurity.

rev kev
01-27-2010, 01:17 PM
Deplorable drafting of the Bills, Jets and Dolphins the past 10 yrs has handed the Pats the Division these years... The Pats have drafted better than these teams the Past 10 years as well..., but the cupboards of the previously mentioned was bear..., the Division was almost a non-contest to begin with..., the Pats actually should have that extra SB or at least a little more to show for the slack divison they ran over...

Pitt, Indy also come to mind...

nopokerinoot
01-27-2010, 01:22 PM
Actually the Pats have been poor drafters lately.

Tiko377
01-27-2010, 01:32 PM
Actually the Pats have been poor drafters lately.

i gotta agree last years draft with them trading for all those 2 and 3rd round picks havent panned out at all. ron brace has been a HUGE bust for them.

i gotta go with the colts and RAVENS.

callaway1234
01-27-2010, 01:40 PM
Jets. Remember all those killer FB's and TE's they drafted in the 1st round in the 80's and 90's?
Don't forget that kicker in the 2nd just a few years ago (who isn't on any team now).

WISfinfan13
01-27-2010, 02:00 PM
You know when you think about the Patriots, they do a very good job, but it seems like they always bring in a couple free agents that push them over the edge during their Superbowl years (ala. Rodney Harrison, Corey Dillion, Moss, Welkers of the world). The Colts and Steelers on the other hand are almost entirely made of home grown talent.

I think with the new regime we really started to turn it around. I mean think about dating back to the early 90s we really never had any good drafts. And Wanstedt had some down right pathetic drafts. But I think we have gotten alot better starting with the Nick Saban drafts (Minus Jason Allen).

Phinstrodamus
01-27-2010, 03:16 PM
I think that Dolphin drafts should get better when this team has certain things in place.

1. Fill team holes with young developmental talent (obvisously this is on going year to year) but we have had quite a bit to fill as of lately (Fa can fill some too)

2 Create a core of good young player example who is the next JT, Zach T, Surtain, stud WR so we can build around

3 The Dolphins need an identity Offensively and Defensively. We know why the Colts can draft well, because there offense is run by P Manning. So they find players that fit in to that teams identity.

I think in time we will become one of those top drafting teams but until then we must work on the above 3.

dramaMEAN
01-28-2010, 03:19 PM
The Steelers is the first team that came to mind.