PDA

View Full Version : Golden Tate ...Miami his top team

bigchub22
01-30-2010, 07:23 PM
Was just listening to an interview with him on sports 910 in Arizona on my way home today. They asked him what teams he dreams of playing for. Most guys won't even answer that but he said Miami and Tampa bay then Tenn. (he is from tenn.) and then chicago because of all the Notre Dame alumni there. Doesn't mean anything I know that just sharing it anyway since we were his number 1

baseballcb95
01-30-2010, 07:26 PM
cool, doesnt mean much, its not like college recruiting, prospects have absolutely no choice in where they go. maybe we trade down for him? or have him mess up his 40 so he can go to us in the 2nd? :lol:

bigchub22
01-30-2010, 07:35 PM
yeah I said it doesn't mean much just sharing what he said ...thats all

Pinkboy
01-30-2010, 07:40 PM
who cares.

I want nothing to do with him in the 1st round.

Spicy Henne
01-30-2010, 07:40 PM
did he say why?

Roman529
01-30-2010, 07:56 PM
I also heard th inteview....I think he liked the Phins and Bucs growing up, and he also is a Bear's fan. I would love to have him on the Phins but #12 is too high for him and he will be gone by the 2nd round.

PhinPhan910
01-30-2010, 08:47 PM
If Rolando and Dez Bryant are gone, I would trade down, maybe get him.

#1dolphinsfan
01-30-2010, 08:58 PM
If we could trade Down I wouldn't mind seeing him as our pick

Awsi Dooger
01-30-2010, 09:07 PM
If he's picked as low as projected, it won't take many years before it's obvious he should have been nabbed sooner. Tate made Jimmy Clausen look better than he is on many plays. The guy is a relentless pinball who makes terrific adjustments, won't allow anyone to out fight him for the ball, and finds the end zone no matter what method is required, moves or acceleration. I don't understand why he isn't more appreciated. You don't find many receivers with that type of Steve Smith/Hines Ward wiry frame and attitude.

#1dolphinsfan
01-30-2010, 09:15 PM
If he's picked as low as projected, it won't take many years before it's obvious he should have been nabbed sooner. Tate made Jimmy Clausen look better than he is on many plays. The guy is a relentless pinball who makes terrific adjustments, won't allow anyone to out fight him for the ball, and finds the end zone no matter what method is required, moves or acceleration. I don't understand why he isn't more appreciated. You don't find many receivers with that type of Steve Smith/Hines Ward wiry frame and attitude.
i agree that he made Clausen Better but if you are arguing that he should be drafted higher because he is like Hines Ward i would disagree Ward is a good player but not a first round player Steve Smith on the other hand would be great

Awsi Dooger
01-30-2010, 09:34 PM
i agree that he made Clausen Better but if you are arguing that he should be drafted higher because he is like Hines Ward i would disagree Ward is a good player but not a first round player Steve Smith on the other hand would be great

My summary would be that Tate plays smaller and shorter than his size on the majority of plays, other than jump ball situations where he's suddenly 6-2. Tough call where to draft him. I'm not saying we should, not on a run oriented team at #12.

I think Tate can be awesome as a slot or inside terror on a sophisticated pass oriented team. A guy with those skills can turn the critical red zone possessions into TDs and not FG attempts.

#1dolphinsfan
01-30-2010, 09:36 PM
I see what you are saying and I agree with you

Clipse
01-30-2010, 09:53 PM
who cares.

Or in the 2nd for that matter. The guy will be a slot WR at the next level, something we have plenty of. He isn't even the best WR prospect on his team.

Michael Floyd >>> Golden Tate.

DcRy82
01-30-2010, 10:10 PM
No way is Floyd better than Tate... I live in Chicago and unfortunately ND was on TV every saturday and I watched almost every game. I HATE ND, but I LOVE Tate's game. As others have said, late first or with our second, sure, but again, echoing someone else, we have enough slot wr's.

j-off-her-doll
01-31-2010, 12:14 AM
I wouldn't draft. Maybe in the 4th or something I'd consider him, but other than that, no thank you.

RobertHorry
01-31-2010, 12:31 AM
My summary would be that Tate plays smaller and shorter than his size on the majority of plays, other than jump ball situations where he's suddenly 6-2. Tough call where to draft him. I'm not saying we should, not on a run oriented team at #12.

I think Tate can be awesome as a slot or inside terror on a sophisticated pass oriented team. A guy with those skills can turn the critical red zone possessions into TDs and not FG attempts.

I think Tate needs to learn how to get separation before he can succeed on the NFL Level. He often lets the DB ride his hip for the entire route and not breaking away on routes like jerk routes and daggers.

Clipse
01-31-2010, 12:37 AM
No way is Floyd better than Tate... I live in Chicago and unfortunately ND was on TV every saturday and I watched almost every game. I HATE ND, but I LOVE Tate's game. As others have said, late first or with our second, sure, but again, echoing someone else, we have enough slot wr's.
Floyd will easily be drafted in the 1st round, because he actually has the skills to be a #1 WR at the next level. Anyone who watches any tape can look at Tate and see he will be a slot WR at the next level, or a #2 if he's very lucky. His problems getting serparation doesn't bode well, especially when you're only 5'11.The only thing he provides that Bess doesn't is his ability to go up and get the ball even at his height. Don't get me wrong, I think Tate can be a pretty good slot at the next level, but we have enough of those. Floyd is so much better as a pro prospect it's not even funny. Just my 2 cents.

DcRy82
01-31-2010, 01:11 AM
I'm not sure what exactly it is that you find so funny.... We'll see what Floyd does next year without Clausen and without Tate on the other side of him. Tate BALLED without Floyd in the lineup, It'll be interesting to see if Floyd can w/o Tate. No question, Floyd has prototypical size for a #1 (but is Steve Smith NOT a #1?) and is a good deep threat, but other than that, i dont see him being better than Tate in any category. Tate is a much better all around player and brings a lot more to the table than Floyd.

DcRy82
01-31-2010, 01:12 AM
And while I really like Bess a lot, and I think he has better hands, Golden Tate is much more dangerous with the ball in his hands than Bess is.

Clipse
01-31-2010, 01:27 AM
I'm not sure what exactly it is that you find so funny.... We'll see what Floyd does next year without Clausen and without Tate on the other side of him. Tate BALLED without Floyd in the lineup, It'll be interesting to see if Floyd can w/o Tate. No question, Floyd has prototypical size for a #1 (but is Steve Smith NOT a #1?) and is a good deep threat, but other than that, i dont see him being better than Tate in any category. Tate is a much better all around player and brings a lot more to the table than Floyd.
I'm willing to bet he puts up even bigger numbers with Tate not around to take targets away, but we will see. Tate may be a better college WR but who cares right? We're talking about the pros, and the fact that Tate will more than likely be a slot WR at the next level while Floyd's potential is a #1, #2 at the next level, then that kind of speaks for itself. And neither Steve Smith is similar to Tate so don't see what that has to do with anything.

DcRy82
01-31-2010, 01:35 AM
Saying that Steve Smith (panthers) is a #1 but lacks #1 size... Not saying Tate will be a #1, just saying that size has nothing to do with it. and Tate and smith are very similar in their RAC abilities... And you're talking about Potential with Floyd.. Sure, he has the "potential".. so did Carlos Rogers, Troy Williamson, Mike Williams, and lots of other 1st rounders.. But when you show me tape of Floyd getting open when its not a fly,post, or slant, i'll believe he is a #1. Tate can make plays via reverse, screen, underneath routes, going deep, and also on returns.. I'll also say that tate is suspect when it comes to getting seperation on 3s,4s,5s, and 6s (route tree numbers incase you arent familiar).. But overall, how can you say floyd will be a #1 when he's pretty well limited to deep routes?

Clipse
01-31-2010, 01:54 AM
Saying that Steve Smith (panthers) is a #1 but lacks #1 size... Not saying Tate will be a #1, just saying that size has nothing to do with it. and Tate and smith are very similar in their RAC abilities... And you're talking about Potential with Floyd.. Sure, he has the "potential".. so did Carlos Rogers, Troy Williamson, Mike Williams, and lots of other 1st rounders.. But when you show me tape of Floyd getting open when its not a fly,post, or slant, i'll believe he is a #1. Tate can make plays via reverse, screen, underneath routes, going deep, and also on returns.. I'll also say that tate is suspect when it comes to getting seperation on 3s,4s,5s, and 6s (route tree numbers incase you arent familiar).. But overall, how can you say floyd will be a #1 when he's pretty well limited to deep routes?
Size has nothing to do with it, I know, don't recall ever saying it did. Not saying Floyd will be a number 1, said he has the potential to be a number 1, can't say the same about Tate.

greenmiamicat
01-31-2010, 03:46 AM
wherever he lands (if it's not with Miami) I hope he's not in the AFC East.

bigchub22
01-31-2010, 01:11 PM
who cares.

Then don't comment if you don't care this is a board for sharing info on the fins. So when someone spoke of the fins in an interview I shared it. Did you not read that :crazy:

Xeticus
01-31-2010, 01:48 PM
Honestly after the Senior Bowl I'm more interested in Mardy Gilyard. That guy was everywhere on the field. That's a player.

Clipse
01-31-2010, 09:30 PM
Honestly after the Senior Bowl I'm more interested in Mardy Gilyard. That guy was everywhere on the field. That's a player.
I don't like Gilyard, and I'd still take him everytime over Tate.

DcRy82
01-31-2010, 10:07 PM
R&R... I'd for once just like to see you give a reason for things instead of just making blindstatements.. the only time you back up your posts is by rehashing and restating other peoples opinions that you agree with.
What makes Floyd a #1 WR potentially?? you never give reasons for WHY you feel that way... just because you said so?
What do you dislike about Tate's game? You just dont like it? He balled out in a pro style offense. He's quick, great after the catch, goes up for the ball, made play after play for ND this year. I really dislike the Irish, but I found it impossible to dislike Tate.

Clipse
01-31-2010, 10:27 PM
R&R... I'd for once just like to see you give a reason for things instead of just making blindstatements.. the only time you back up your posts is by rehashing and restating other peoples opinions that you agree with.
What makes Floyd a #1 WR potentially?? you never give reasons for WHY you feel that way... just because you said so?
What do you dislike about Tate's game? You just dont like it? He balled out in a pro style offense. He's quick, great after the catch, goes up for the ball, made play after play for ND this year. I really dislike the Irish, but I found it impossible to dislike Tate.
I'm not a huge fan of Floyd, but it isn't hard to see why he has more potential than Tate. Tate has trouble getting seperation, not good when you're only 5'11. He's not overly fast, a good but not great route runner. He does a good job shedding tackles and picking up YAC as well as going up for the ball. He could with time be a #2 WR, but I can't see him ever being a #1 WR for anybody. I think he will be a very good slot, but we already have a very good slot so he won't do no good whatsoever here. I'm not a huge fan of Floyd either as I said, he has all the tools but needs to work on his routes. Can't really judge him though until this upcoming season where he won't have Clausen or Tate.

DcRy82
01-31-2010, 10:32 PM
Right, well i'm just curious why you see Floyd as a potential #1? All he is is a deep threat. He runs streaks, posts, and slants, thats it.. Tate runs better routes than Floyd, but I think Floyd has better hands and has better deep speed.That said, Tate still has decent/good hands, and I think tate is still a 4.4 guy, i guess we'll kno for sure if he runs at the combine.

Clipse
01-31-2010, 10:37 PM
Right, well i'm just curious why you see Floyd as a potential #1? All he is is a deep threat. He runs streaks, posts, and slants, thats it.. Tate runs better routes than Floyd, but I think Floyd has better hands and has better deep speed.That said, Tate still has decent/good hands, and I think tate is still a 4.4 guy, i guess we'll kno for sure if he runs at the combine.
Not disagreeing with you. Not a big fan of Floyd, but if he improved on his route running, he has all the tools to be a #1 at the next level. If not, probably not.

Dan2Duper
01-31-2010, 11:06 PM
I'm a Notre Dame fan so I'm biased, Tate will be a great late first early second round pick. He's a playmaker once the ball's in his hands much like Steve Smith, or a more recent comparison Hakeem Nicks.

roy_miami
02-01-2010, 02:50 AM
There's no way in hell a guy named Golden will be a bust. The guy will be a hall of famer 110%.

Mr_Freezetag
02-01-2010, 03:19 AM
If we could trade Down I wouldn't mind seeing him as our pick

wouldn't rather take spiller?

FinaticalOne
02-01-2010, 11:45 AM
Was just listening to an interview with him on sports 910 in Arizona on my way home today. They asked him what teams he dreams of playing for. Most guys won't even answer that but he said Miami and Tampa bay then Tenn. (he is from tenn.) and then chicago because of all the Notre Dame alumni there. Doesn't mean anything I know that just sharing it anyway since we were his number 1

It looks like someone has been doing their homework :lol:. He named all teams that don't have a true #1 WR.

Clipse
02-01-2010, 05:56 PM
It looks like someone has been doing their homework :lol:. He named all teams that don't have a true #1 WR.
This.

dahlmarino
02-01-2010, 06:01 PM
Tate is one of 2 players I wouldn't mind reaching for at 12. The other is Weatherspoon from Mizzou. These 2 may not be considered the 12th best player on the board right now, but if Dez Bryant and Rolando McClain come off the board early and nobody of value to the team is there, why not reach? The whole idea is to make the team better, right?

Boomer
02-01-2010, 07:24 PM
who cares.

How come?

Lord Of Miami
02-01-2010, 07:30 PM
When it's all said and done, 3 years down the road i think theirs a good chance Tate will be worth a top 10 pick in this draft.

Boomer
02-01-2010, 07:56 PM
I agree.

I think Golden Tate is a terrific player. I've said for a long time that he reminds me of Hines Ward. In his set up at the line of scrimmage, the way that he uses his arms at the line, keeping his elbows in tight, the rather high running action and the ability to get physical with a corner, despite being, what, 5'11 and 195? He is a lot of person on a 195lb frame. He's sort of maxed out physically, but he has a big asss and big thighs. He's going to do some things occasionally that will annoy you - he does have a tendency to body catch every now and again, but I spent a long time talking to SMU WR coach Jeff Reinebold a couple of weeks ago and he shared my opinion on Tate and said that the body catching, taken in context with the overall body of Tate's work, is really miniscule.

What I like most of all are what he does when he has the ball in his hands - he's a really good YAC guy; how he tracks the ball in the air and, for a guy only 5'11, has great leaping ability to go up and get it at it's highest point. And he has acceleration to close on the ball at the end. He's not a blazer, but you will notice that on deep balls - which he catches a hell of a lot of - he will do a lot of seperating in the final 5-7 strides of the pattern.

Plus, as Roy said, his name is Golden Tate FFS. How can you fail with a name like that?

Lord Of Miami
02-01-2010, 08:14 PM
Made this thread about him like 4 weeks ago http://www.finheaven.com/forums/f75/dan-henning-golden-tate-267019.html

But in short i think Dan could use him everywhere and must be dreaming of Having a WR that plays like a RB and just plays the game the way it should be played.

Clipse
02-01-2010, 09:06 PM
Tate is one of 2 players I wouldn't mind reaching for at 12. The other is Weatherspoon from Mizzou. These 2 may not be considered the 12th best player on the board right now, but if Dez Bryant and Rolando McClain come off the board early and nobody of value to the team is there, why not reach? The whole idea is to make the team better, right?
:facepalm: Why not reach? Because it's incredibly stupid? Because you don't reach for a borderline 1st rounder with the 12th overall pick? Because you don't reach for a WR who had trouble getting seperation at the college level? Because Tate would be far down the list of BPA, with a lot of those BPA's still being in a position of need (B. Graham, D. Williams to name a few)? Because Tate in my opinion will be best suited as a slot at the next level, and we already have a very good slot WR? There's a few reasons why not to reach.

DcRy82
02-02-2010, 01:57 AM
I'm glad to see other people see the things that I see in Tate. As i've mentioned before, I am not a fan of ND, but living in Chicago, saw them play every weekend and found it impossible to not love Tate's game.

Boomer, I know you compared him to Hines, but do you think Tate can be a #1 WR?

Boomer
02-02-2010, 07:32 AM
I suppose DC, you have to ask yourself, what is a number one receiver?

Hines Ward is a number one receiver, but he's not a number one receiver the way Brandon Marshall is a number one receiver. But Hines has 2 Superbowl rings and is one of teh best players of the past decade. Marshall has back to back to back 100+ yard reception seasons and has never made the playoffs.

DcRy82
02-02-2010, 10:42 AM
To me a number 1 wr is one who makes the big play when asked. Someone who shows consistancy catching the ball, draws extra attention from the defense, and makes the players around him better. That's my opinion of a #1.

Pat-London
02-02-2010, 11:22 AM
I would be over the moon if we got Tate in the 2nd. The thing that stands out for me is like the 2 UNC WR's last year (Cant for the life of me remember the names)

When Malcolm Floyd went down with injury, Tates production was going to be in question because teams could now devot double teams to him all the time. He was even triple teamed on occasion. His production went up after Floyd went down so he can certainly handle the pressure.

Like the Hines Ward comparison, but I think he's more of a playmaker, I do think he could be the next version of Anquan Boldin.

If we can somehow pick up an extra 2nd, I would most definitely spend one of them on this guy.

Tough as nails, smart, playmaker, pressure player..

Edit - plus being in a Pro Style offense under Charlie Weiss he wont have those questions the Spread Option WR's will have in not having run the pro route tree.

Boomer
02-02-2010, 12:04 PM
:facepalm: Why not reach? Because it's incredibly stupid? Because you don't reach for a borderline 1st rounder with the 12th overall pick? Because you don't reach for a WR who had trouble getting seperation at the college level? Because Tate would be far down the list of BPA, with a lot of those BPA's still being in a position of need (B. Graham, D. Williams to name a few)? Because Tate in my opinion will be best suited as a slot at the next level, and we already have a very good slot WR? There's a few reasons why not to reach.

For someone who 'has trouble getting seperation', he makes an awful lot of catches.

Boomer
02-02-2010, 12:04 PM
To me a number 1 wr is one who makes the big play when asked. Someone who shows consistancy catching the ball, draws extra attention from the defense, and makes the players around him better. That's my opinion of a #1.

That's a decent assessment. Well then yes I do.