PDA

View Full Version : Hughes and Spikes in the 2nd???

cobbs321
01-31-2010, 01:36 AM
Ive been reading about a billion mocks on cbs, espn, fox, si, etc. and all of them are predicting Jerry Hughes to fall to about the 50th pick. They all are saying his size is the reason teams will take Witherspoon or Kindle before him. Then there saying that Spikes is about a 1-2 round pick. They all say a late 1st is a reach and he should be around at pick #43. Could it really be possible to get them in the second???

#1dolphinsfan
01-31-2010, 01:41 AM
If we could get one of them in the second that would be great even if we get McClain in the first I would take Spikes in the second if he was there

cobbs321
01-31-2010, 01:49 AM
what about this scenario:
Pick up an extra 2nd
1st: Rolando McClain ILB
2nd: Brandon Spikes ILB
2nd: Jerry Hughes OLB
or
Trade back in 1st and pick up 2nd
1st: Dan Williams NT

Those are 2 A+ drafts

#1dolphinsfan
01-31-2010, 02:21 AM
Pick up an extra 2nd
or

Those are 2 A+ drafts
either of those drafts would be really nice if we dont get a NT in FA i would go with the second but if we do the first one would be by far better IMO

cobbs321
01-31-2010, 02:53 AM
Or just take out Dan Williams and add Brandon Graham and it looks like this
1st: Brandon Graham OLB
man that is a wrecking crew for years to come

dr.jake
01-31-2010, 02:27 PM
i think the best news for the 'phins is that the deepest positons in this draft are both needs.linebackers and wide outs. rb's and oline look pretty thin imo.

13_dolfan_13
02-01-2010, 10:16 PM
i want mcclain in the first and spikes in the second after that go NT fouth round robert johnson UT trade up back into the fourth and grab dennis pitta BYU

Clipse
02-01-2010, 10:49 PM
Pick up an extra 2nd
or

Those are 2 A+ drafts
Those would be great.

2nd: Dexter McCluster RB/WR/KR

Knock out 3 birds with 1 stone. ILB, OLB, and playmaker on offense. Of course can't see it happening because I'm not seeing where that extra 2nd rounder would come from unless say GB traded the 23rd and 55th overall for our 1st rounder. According to the value chart, that's about equal. Because I don't see any player we can trade for a 2nd rounder other than R. Brown who I can't see being traded anyways.

hooshoops
02-01-2010, 10:56 PM
i honestly think we have a better shot at spikes than hughes at #43...if for nothing more than one is considered one of the elite pass rush prospects on the weakside in a 3-4 and the other is an ilb...who like others have mentioned do have a tendency to drop...

and i think if spikes does in fact run a very slow # he may well drop to #43...

i still have hughes in consideration for pick #12...

Clipse
02-01-2010, 11:01 PM
i honestly think we have a better shot at spikes than hughes at #43...if for nothing more than one is considered one of the elite pass rush prospects on the weakside in a 3-4 and the other is an ilb...who like others have mentioned do have a tendency to drop...

and i think if spikes does in fact run a very slow # he may well drop to #43...

i still have hughes in consideration for pick #12...
I just can't see him dropping to our 2nd either. Personally I can't see him getting passed Green Bay at #23.

hooshoops
02-01-2010, 11:05 PM
I just can't see him dropping to our 2nd either. Personally I can't see him getting passed Green Bay at #23.

hmmm...green bay has matthews and they like that 7th round kid i think that they got last year opposite him...he fits much better than kampman as an olb

i think green bay needs to protect rodgers so i think it's oline they covet...

Clipse
02-01-2010, 11:08 PM
hmmm...green bay has matthews and they like that 7th round kid i think that they got last year opposite him...he fits much better than kampman as an olb

i think green bay needs to protect rodgers so i think it's oline they covet...
I agree. They really do need some O-line help. He'll get drafted around that spot though imo. Patriots could definitely use a pass rusher.

hooshoops
02-01-2010, 11:12 PM
I agree. They really do need some O-line help. He'll get drafted around that spot though imo. Patriots could definitely use a pass rusher.

oh yeah i can see that...

if i'm green bay i'd take the tackle from iowa bulaga...

Pinkboy
02-01-2010, 11:13 PM
Yeah Bulaga does look and talk like a GB OLineman

They definitely need OL help to protect their franchise. I see them going OL at a 75% probability rate. Their OLine was pretty mediocre this year.

hooshoops
02-01-2010, 11:15 PM
i've read some stuff that the pats are very high on brandon graham...very high

could be rumors obviously but i don't want that guy in our division i can tell you that...

Clipse
02-01-2010, 11:16 PM
oh yeah i can see that...

if i'm green bay i'd take the tackle from iowa bulaga...
Bulaga would be a great choice for them.

Pinkboy
02-01-2010, 11:17 PM

could be rumors obviously but i don't want that guy in our division i can tell you that...

and what sucks is they have three 2nd round picks to move up and snatch him.

that really worries me

Graham won't fall to them without moving up. Maybe moving up just ahead of us would be required.

hooshoops
02-01-2010, 11:18 PM
Yeah Bulaga does look and talk like a GB OLineman

They definitely need OL help to protect their franchise. I see them going OL at a 75% probability rate. Their OLine was pretty mediocre this year.

yeah they seemed to fix it somewhat late when the chad clifton returned but early in the year rodgers was getting killed...like destroyed

and clifton is getting very long in the tooth...

rodgers also holds onto the ball too long but man am i impressed with him as a qb...really good player imo...

Clipse
02-01-2010, 11:19 PM

OLB is one of their biggest needs so it makes sense. What scares me the most, is the Broncos may be willing to trade down with the Patriots. Would be a real kick to the nuts if the Pats traded up to the 11th spot and took Graham. Denver is going to be real interesting to follow in the draft, not only do they pick right before us, but their draft board is probably similar to ours as well with McClain, Graham, Bryant, Odrick, Williams to name a few high up and of course with McDaniels history with the Pats...

hooshoops
02-01-2010, 11:20 PM
and what sucks is they have three 2nd round picks to move up and snatch him.

that really worries me

Graham won't fall to them without moving up. Maybe moving up just ahead of us would be required.

they need a pass rusher BAD cause they can't get any pressure from the olbs...

it wouldn't surprise me if they moved up...for graham or hughes as olbs...if in fact graham shows he can do it in lb drills...

Pinkboy
02-01-2010, 11:24 PM
Definitely.. When your best pass rusher in a 3-4 defense is Tully Banta-Cain you have serious issues there.

He stunk before going to NE, and NE cut him and brought him back during the season this year.

hooshoops
02-01-2010, 11:25 PM
OLB is one of their biggest needs so it makes sense. What scares me the most, is the Broncos may be willing to trade down with the Patriots. Would be a real kick to the nuts if the Pats traded up to the 11th spot and took Graham. Denver is going to be real interesting to follow in the draft, not only do they pick right before us, but their draft board is probably similar to ours as well with McClain, Graham, Bryant, Odrick, Williams to name a few high up and of course with McDaniels history with the Pats...

i'm of the opinion that our biggest obstacle to landing bryant or mcclain would be the broncos...so if they moved down to someone coveting graham even though i wouldn't like it i'd be STOKED to get a shot at bryant...

i've got bryant and mcclain both top 10 available but bryant imo may well be top 5...

of course i'm assuming that brandon marshall gets dealt between now and the draft

hooshoops
02-01-2010, 11:30 PM
Definitely.. When your best pass rusher in a 3-4 defense is Tully Banta-Cain you have serious issues there.

He stunk before going to NE, and NE cut him and brought him back during the season this year.

banta cain i think did ok considering he wasn't anything great anyways for them but burgess who they traded for from oakland did nothing...zilch nada

Pinkboy
02-01-2010, 11:37 PM
I hope the Pats acquire Peppers instead of drafting a PR in the 1st. He's on the outs in Carolina and NE was interested in trading for him last year.

He wants to go to a 3-4 team, he's older and his game has declined. I hope they pay that high salary for him thinking they've solved their problem.

newlownorder
02-01-2010, 11:39 PM
Dude, you have us trading Penny to the Cards. Penny is a FA, we can't trade him.

hooshoops
02-01-2010, 11:41 PM
i used to covet peppers but he runs too hot and cold for me...i thought i read before that the pats had some interest in him in years past...

you may have something there...

jake long locked him up all game this year...peppers was only playing passing downs with that broken hand but i never saw him anywhere near henne...

also not sure how good of a transition peppers would make to 3-4 olb...

Clipse
02-01-2010, 11:41 PM
I hope the Pats acquire Peppers instead of drafting a PR in the 1st. He's on the outs in Carolina and NE was interested in trading for him last year.

He wants to go to a 3-4 team, he's older and his game has declined. I hope they pay that high salary for him thinking they've solved their problem.
As good as Peppers is, I too would rather them get him than trade up for Graham. But what's to say they don't do both?

Pinkboy
02-01-2010, 11:43 PM
Dude, you have us trading Penny to the Cards. Penny is a FA, we can't trade him.

who said that ? I just quickly skimmed the thread and see no mention of Penny to Arizona

newlownorder
02-01-2010, 11:45 PM
who said that ? I just quickly skimmed the thread and see no mention of Penny to Arizona

Cobbs has it in his mock draft:

1st: ILB Rolando McClain Bama
Trade Penny, 3rd, and 6th to Cards for 2nd
2nd: OLB Brandon Graham Mich
Trade back in 2nd plus a 6th for 3rd and 2nd
2nd: OLB Jerry Hughes TCU
3rd: WR Mardy Gillyard Cincy
4th: NT Cam Thomas UNC
Trade undisclosed 2011 pick for 5th
5th: TE Dennis Pitta BYU
6th: OL Dan Doerning Iowa
7th: RB Keith Toston OSU
7th: DE/OLB Clifton Geathers So. Car.

Pinkboy
02-01-2010, 11:45 PM
Oh I see, someone had it in their sig.

that's why.

newlownorder
02-01-2010, 11:48 PM
Oh I see, someone had it in their sig.

that's why.

Yep, you found it.

phinfan33
02-01-2010, 11:57 PM
i can honestly say that i'd love for us to get Spikes...that dude can play...he's a playmaking ILB with a nasty streak in him,and we need that badly on our defense...

Astrosback
02-02-2010, 12:08 AM
Pick up an extra 2nd
or

Those are 2 A+ drafts

Yes, those are awesome drafts. Although the first one doesn't explain how we picked up the extra 2nd.

Here's an idea...how about trading back in round 1 to pick up an extra 2nd rounder and then trading both 2nd rounders to move up to the 1st so we come away with two 1st rounders?!?!

1.12.) MIA: Trade: Pick 12 to HOU for HOU's Pick 20 and HOU's 2nd Round Pick #50 overall.

1.12.) HOU selects Joe Haden - Texans let Dunta Robinson go in FA and trade up to get the best CB in the draft.

1.20.) MIA selects Dan Williams - Phins snag an extra 2nd rounder and still land the anchor for the 3-4.

1.21.) CIN: Trade: Pick 21 to MIA for Dolphins' two 2nd Round Picks #44 and #50 (via HOU) plus Ted Ginn, Jr.

1.21.) MIA selects Brandon Graham - Phins use their two 2nd rounders to move up into the first again to land another stud for the defense with back to back picks. Cincy trades back to accumulate more picks and take Ginn to throw a bone to the OSU fans.

The value/price for both of those trades (HOU moving up with us in the 1st, and us moving up with CIN from the 2nd to the 1st) is fair based on the ol' "trade value point chart" but I threw Ginn into the Cincy trade just to sweeten the deal.

FinsFanatic777
02-02-2010, 12:31 AM
McClain and Spikes on the same field... now that's something.

cobbs321
02-02-2010, 03:26 AM
walterfootball has the pats taking Hughes right after us in the second and Graham going late 2nd