PDA

View Full Version : Not impressed with Gilyard

justdev7
01-31-2010, 09:18 PM
Marty Gilyard is not big, he's not fast, he runs decent routes. What about him is getting everyone so excited. I'd take Jeremy Williams before I'd take Gilyard and he's not that great either. We don't need anymore #2 and #4 wide-outs. If we Try to address our need for a #1 WR with Gilyard I guarantee we'll still be looking for a #1 guy next year.

Clipse
01-31-2010, 09:28 PM
Not sure honestly. Another #2 at best WR in a draft full of them.

Kdawg954
01-31-2010, 09:35 PM
Either draft Bryant or Benn in round 1 or 2, respectively . . . take a chance on Mike Williams in the 6th (if still there) or wait until next year and go after that potential best WR class in sometime crop. No need to invest anymore 3rd or 4th rounders on WR's that wont add up to a #1 type guy.

rayfinkle1334
01-31-2010, 09:42 PM
not sure how realistic it is, but even if we didnt do anything to improve our offense... got Rolle, Dansby and drafted Graham or another playmaking OLB, we would make the playoffs....i have no doubts. Our offense isnt that bad and its only going to get better as Henne improves.

munchkin
01-31-2010, 09:46 PM
Gilyard in the 3rd wouldn't be terrible. He's a pretty good returner and could add a little explosiveness to our WR's. I'm not a huge fan though. I guess i'm luke warm about him.

Clipse
01-31-2010, 10:13 PM
not sure how realistic it is, but even if we didnt do anything to improve our offense... got Rolle, Dansby and drafted Graham or another playmaking OLB, we would make the playoffs....i have no doubts. Our offense isnt that bad and its only going to get better as Henne improves.
No doubt. How soon people forget we set a franchise record for games in a row of scoring 30+ points. Our offense went downhill when we lost RB. Our defense needs a lot of additions. Just the addition of Nolan alone will greatly help that. You can't run a 3-4 defense and be vanilla, like Pasq did.

SF Dolphin Fan
01-31-2010, 11:35 PM
Marty Gilyard is not big, he's not fast, he runs decent routes. What about him is getting everyone so excited. I'd take Jeremy Williams before I'd take Gilyard and he's not that great either. We don't need anymore #2 and #4 wide-outs. If we Try to address our need for a #1 WR with Gilyard I guarantee we'll still be looking for a #1 guy next year.

I don't think Gilyard is necessarily a #1, but what I really like about him is his run after the catch ability. He gets a lot of YAC, can return kicks and plays pretty fast. I don't know what his official time is. He's a playmaker and would be a good value at #2.

MP-Omnis
02-01-2010, 12:42 AM
Next year has so much talent at WR. And big, tall, #1 type talent. Frankly, I could wait. We've been putting up 30 points almost every game. No need to draft another #2 (we have 3 of them)... this draft has to be defense.

justdev7
02-01-2010, 01:01 AM
Next year has so much talent at WR. And big, tall, #1 type talent. Frankly, I could wait. We've been putting up 30 points almost every game. No need to draft another #2 (we have 3 of them)... this draft has to be defense.

There are definitely a few guys that I like at WR that may come out next year. Alshon Jefferey for South Carolina, Criner from the Arizona Wildcats, and of course my boy A.J. Green for my Dogs. And I guess Julio Jones....

I just really don't like Giliard, I feel like he's a slower Ted Ginn. I'm ired of people evaluating WR's for their kick return value, KR's are a dime a dozen and early round picks shouldn't be wasted on them. I guess i'm still bitter about hearing Cam Cameron talk about how we used a first round pick on Ted Ginn to use him mainly as a kick returner.

#1dolphinsfan
02-01-2010, 01:58 AM
When Ronnie Brown was healthy. i could wait to if we got A. Bryant for a year untill we drafted a true #1 WR

Xeticus
02-01-2010, 01:59 AM
There are definitely a few guys that I like at WR that may come out next year. Alshon Jefferey for South Carolina, Criner from the Arizona Wildcats, and of course my boy A.J. Green for my Dogs. And I guess Julio Jones....

I just really don't like Giliard, I feel like he's a slower Ted Ginn.Better hands and doesn't play scared though.

#1dolphinsfan
02-01-2010, 02:12 AM

I just really don't like Giliard, I feel like he's a slower Ted Ginn. I'm ired of people evaluating WR's for their kick return value, KR's are a dime a dozen and early round picks shouldn't be wasted on them. I guess i'm still bitter about hearing Cam Cameron talk about how we used a first round pick on Ted Ginn to use him mainly as a kick returner.
for one he has better hands then ginn and yes he is slower then ginn but then again there are a lot of NFL players that are slower then Ginn and Gilyard isnt affraid to get hit and go accros the middle of the field

MP-Omnis
02-01-2010, 02:23 AM
When Ronnie Brown was healthy. i could wait to if we got A. Bryant for a year untill we drafted a true #1 WR

The thing is, if Ginn didn't have the dropsies we would be straight and serviceable even through the playoffs. Given that our defense is what dropped the ball this year, we need to shore that up before we can even dream of playoffs.

#1dolphinsfan
02-01-2010, 02:37 AM
The thing is, if Ginn didn't have the dropsies we would be straight and serviceable even through the playoffs. Given that our defense is what dropped the ball this year, we need to shore that up before we can even dream of playoffs.
i didnt say anything about the playoffs and even if we got in there is no way we would have got past the first round with our D playing like they were and with Ronnie out

tcolli17
02-01-2010, 02:56 AM
To me, he looks Camarillo slow. When I was watching him at the senior bowl, he wasn't getting any seperation at all. I would not be surprised if he ran in the 4.5's.

MP-Omnis
02-01-2010, 03:51 AM
i didnt say anything about the playoffs and even if we got in there is no way we would have got past the first round with our D playing like they were and with Ronnie out

And that's why drafting a WR whose name isn't Dez Bryant this year is a freakin joke.

Lord Of Miami
02-01-2010, 05:01 AM

Great Thread :facepalm:

I think you may be on to something here.

Yes!!! Lets not take a WR that most people don't think is even in the top five coming out this year and try to make him our #1 guy.

Brilliant, you could be on to something here.:aww:

AllFinsAllDay
02-01-2010, 07:34 AM
I think I'm coming around to the fact that this draft should be defense mostly. Offense was not the problem and actually saved us a few times so drafting bryant might not be the best idea.

Kdawg954
02-01-2010, 10:30 AM
I think I'm coming around to the fact that this draft should be defense mostly. Offense was not the problem and actually saved us a few times so drafting bryant might not be the best idea.

I mean lets not get it twisted, if Bryant has a tremendous combine and Pro Day, and he is clearly the BPA at 12, I couldn't be mad at Miami if they felt he was the best pick. We need atleast 2 more drafts before we can start seriously competing for the Super Bowl.

I just think there will be a defensive guy there at 12, who is highly rated, who will instantly improve our defense. Whether its Earl Thomas, Rolando McClain . . . whoever, we gotta fix the defense right up the middle. Once u eliminate the potential #1 WR's . . . it really makes no sense to draft a #2/#3 guy, and IMO that is what Gilyard is. Will he make some plays in the NFL . . . I have no doubt, but I want that goto guy . . . that guy who is like 6'3, 220 lbs with excellent hands and 4.4 speed. AJ Green next year would be incredible.

I am Bane
02-01-2010, 11:10 AM
I have to disagree here... Mardy Gilyard was one guy i wanted to see more of after the season ended. he was impressive in my mind, and he is starting to really proove his value.

he is not a big WR, but he definitely has solid speed and quickness. what he thrives with is his ability to run routes and knows how to seperate... once he makes the catch he THRIVES wiht YAC, he creates with the ball. also he has had sure hands throughout the season.

where he has big question marks is him getting off the line against stronger more physical CB's... but during senior bowl drills it has been said that he is actually using his hands extremely well, but even beating these corners off the line, and seperating. he is one of the better spoken of WR's coming out of the senior bowl, as well as actually dominating in the senior bowl.

to add to this, he also worked hard with obstacles and struggles he faced early on in his career at Cincy, to come back and become what he is, and who he is right now. a good work ethic, a good character he is!!!

Astrosback
02-01-2010, 11:20 AM
Gilyard certainly isn't a "Calvin Johnson type" of prospect by any means. He is kind of small and not too fast. But he is a gamer and would add another good WR to our core of Hartline/Bess/Camarillo. He plays the ball in the air and doesn't play scared (like someone else we know..cough...Ginn...cough).

He probably wouldn't be the WR1 we're looking for so if that's all we want, then we probably should go with Antonio Bryant in FA as a stop-gap. And if we end up with Dez Bryant slipping to 1.12, then we'll really be loaded at WR with both Bryants lining up outside and our current guys working the slots.

But if Dez is gone at 1.12, we're probably better off anyway b/c our defense is desperate for help. I think McClain and Dez will both be gone but that means we just go Brandon Graham or Dan Williams.:hi5:

I am Bane
02-01-2010, 11:29 AM
astrosback made a very good point aboot Gilyard too.... he definitely goes to the ball and up for the ball at its highest point. he attacks it well and plays pretty physical for a smaller guy.

one problem is i really dont see us taking such a higher round one pick on a WR... especailly with such possabilities for WR busts, i can see us go with a defensive need instead (hence a McClain if he is there)

mmikel30
02-01-2010, 02:47 PM
never liked him.....to me only three guys really stand out. dez bryant , golden taint , and demariyus Thomas ...Jeremy Williams has great hands but is slow too ! I like desmond briscoue some but not before round three

justdev7
02-02-2010, 01:52 AM
Great Thread :facepalm:

I think you may be on to something here.

Yes!!! Lets not take a WR that most people don't think is even in the top five coming out this year and try to make him our #1 guy.

Brilliant, you could be on to something here.:aww:

The reason I made the thread is because there are a bunch of people that have us taking him in their mocks. If those didn't exist then I wouldn't have bothered. Take a look around and observe how many people that think we should draft this guy. And if they're thinking of taking him as a # 2, we've already got plenty of those. Facepalm that

justdev7
02-02-2010, 01:56 AM
never liked him.....to me only three guys really stand out. dez bryant , golden taint , and demariyus Thomas ...Jeremy Williams has great hands but is slow too ! I like desmond briscoue some but not before round three

Couldn't agree more. I would take Demeryius Thomas way before Gilyard