PDA

View Full Version : Best move is to trade down

phinfreak
02-02-2010, 03:06 PM
Best value in bottom half of 1st and top half of second rounds.

With all the holes fins need to fill, the best value for our money would be to load up on picks.

Fins have equal pressing needs at NT, ILB, S, OLB, TE, WR, G

Just too many holes to fill with good depth in this years draft.

I expect fins to package #12 + players for additional 2nd or 3rd round picks.

OrlandoFin
02-02-2010, 03:09 PM
I agree 100%. It would be tempting if McClain and or Bryant are there at #12, but like you said there is a lot of value from mid round 1 through the third round. I think Miami will try and get as many picks in those rounds as possible and trading back is probably the easiest way to do it.

JT-forpresident
02-02-2010, 03:14 PM
trading down is the best move in any year, in any round, for any team ...

it's not really up for debate

MrEd
02-02-2010, 03:19 PM
So if best value is in the middle of the 1st, then why would any of those teams want to trade up?

MarSly
02-02-2010, 03:21 PM
Trade down 100 percent..You get more pics as in Angerer or Tebow..Guys you wouldn't think we were gonna take..Trade Pat White for another pick..

OrlandoFin
02-02-2010, 03:22 PM
So if best value is in the middle of the 1st, then why would any of those teams want to trade up?

Teams feel a player fits a certain need or they fall in love with a player.

WISfinfan13
02-02-2010, 03:26 PM
I agree. But its always easier said than done

OrlandoFin
02-02-2010, 03:29 PM
I agree. But its always easier said than done

It's easier at #12 than it is in the top 10 and there is a good chance a player someone wants is sitting there.

ckparrothead
02-02-2010, 03:34 PM
I would add that not only would I trade down, but I would do it in exchange for a pick in 2011.

WISfinfan13
02-02-2010, 03:34 PM
It's easier at #12 than it is in the top 10 and there is a good chance a player someone wants is sitting there.

Obviously...

But its hard to get good value for draft picks. Think about it. We are trying to move down. Why. Its a deep draft. Not a real good year to move up.

OrlandoFin
02-02-2010, 03:39 PM
I would add that not only would I trade down, but I would do it in exchange for a pick in 2011.

In addition to a 2010 pick? What do you see in 2011 that looks better than this year?

JT-forpresident
02-02-2010, 04:40 PM
In addition to a 2010 pick? What do you see in 2011 that looks better than this year?

teams always give a better pick in the future than they would give in the present draft year...

much like in finance, people don't understand the concept of making money with money : 100$ now could be worth 110 $ next year ... now, are you the guy who'll lend the "money", or borrow it ?

i guess what ck is trying to say, much like i am, is that a very few select teams understand that concept ... the patriots have been doing it for a long time, and now even McDaniels learned from his mentor and did the same thing in denver... it's about time we start doing the same thing here...

Namor
02-02-2010, 04:40 PM

Better wide recievers...

hooshoops
02-02-2010, 04:42 PM
Better wide recievers...

and that's just for starters...2011 looks loaded...

ckparrothead
02-02-2010, 05:22 PM

First off, I've been talking about this for a while but the senior class this year is pretty poor IMO. The junior class didn't really save it that much. They only tied the record for most early declarations, they didn't shatter it like most predicted would happen because of the looming rookie wage scale in 2011. I know it's cliche to complain about the present draft and say it's not very talented, I hear it every year. Most times I argue against the notion. This year, I believe it's true.

However, when I look at the players set to be available a year from now, as well as the players that could/should declare by then, I'm drooling. I've never had such a clear idea in my head just how good the next class should be. I've certainly never come across a year where I can say with all honesty that so many of the best-in-college at their respective positions, aren't even draft eligible. Jonathan Baldwin is the best WR in college football, rivaled by Julio Jones, Michael Floyd and A.J. Green. None are draft eligible. Andrew Luck is the best QB in college football. He's not draft eligible. Mark Ingram is the best RB in college football. He's not draft eligible. Marcel Dareus and DaQuan Bowers might well be fighting for the right to call themselves the best Defensive Ends in college football, not draft eligible. I think that Patrick Peterson is the best corner in college football, and he's not draft eligible either. You just don't run into a situation like that very often, the best players at their positions not just being underclassmen but being draft ineligible. Is Derrick Morgan better than Dareus or Bowers? I don't know, I don't think so. Is Spiller better than Ingram? I'm not sure. Is Dez Bryant better than Baldwin? I don't think so. Is Clausen better than Luck? Not if you ask me. Is Haden better than Peterson? Not in my opinion. With as talented as those guys I would expect the bulk of them to come out early next year...because they don't have as much to prove.

And that's even taking aside the guys that decided to stay in school, and should be seniors next year. Jake Locker, Christian Ponder and Ryan Mallett round out a very solid upper QB class next year even if Andrew Luck doesn't come out (and I think he will, because by the end of next year I'm willing to bet Harbaugh leaves the program for greener pastures). Gabe Carimi and Nate Solder are very solid OTs that stayed in school. I think the world of Orlando Franklin as a Guard prospect, and both Rodney Hudson and Mike Pouncey also stayed in school at that position. Cameron Heyward and Greg Romeus stayed in school, as did Adrian Clayborn. Heyward and Clayborn in particular could be very high draft prospects. Marvin Austin and Allen Bailey stayed in school, as did Stephen Paea. Bruce Carter, Von Miller and none other than Mark Herzlich should round out a heck of a linebacker upper class, the sort that make you drool. Ras-I Dowling stayed in school and I think he has a lot of potential as a corner. Charles Brown and Kendric Burner also stayed in school at that spot. DeAndre McDaniel is a very promising safety prospect.

I mean, that's about 30 names right there...all guys I love, all guys I'd HEAVILY consider for a first round grade in THIS year's draft...all guys that should be in the draft next year.

Should be a banner year. Of course, watch the NFL screw it all up and have a lockout or some crap.

ckparrothead
02-02-2010, 05:27 PM
teams always give a better pick in the future than they would give in the present draft year...

much like in finance, people don't understand the concept of making money with money : 100$ now could be worth 110 $ next year ... now, are you the guy who'll lend the "money", or borrow it ?

i guess what ck is trying to say, much like i am, is that a very few select teams understand that concept ... the patriots have been doing it for a long time, and now even McDaniels learned from his mentor and did the same thing in denver... it's about time we start doing the same thing here...

I'm glad you agree. It would be one thing if there actually WAS a valid reason for "interest" to accrue on draft picks...but there isn't. Guys like Belichick trade $100 for $110 all the time, because the people he trades with are under the false impression that the $110 tomorrow is worth $100 today. Belichick (and now McDaniels) knows, $100 today is worth $100 tomorrow, when it comes to draft picks. The NFL isn't a financial currency system. There is no Fed setting interest rates. Winning tomorrow will mean just as much to the fans tomorrow, as winning today would mean to them today, all things being equal.

I wish we would start doing that here. Sadly, most of the league doesn't seem to grasp the concept. And this is one of the few instances where I'm comfortable disagreeing with general league thought.

miami71
02-02-2010, 06:44 PM
Stay at 12! Correct me if I'm wrong,but the last time we traded for a bunch of picks was in the late 90's. I think J.Johnson traded down twice and clear out of the first round. I think we came out of that draft with a bunch of garbage! Again if my memory is right!

Roman529
02-02-2010, 06:51 PM
I think trading down could be the best thing especially if McClain is gone (and not everyone feels McClain is that much better then B. Graham). If someone wants to move up to grab Dez Bryant or CJ Spiller and offer us an extra pick or two then we have to listen.

MadDog 88
02-02-2010, 07:05 PM
Trading down is always best and I wholeheartedly agree it's always good to obtain future picks. This year is a little different though with the impending lockout. I would assume if there is no draft that the picks would follow through to the first draft after a lockout but I have not heard anything on the subject.

#1dolphinsfan
02-02-2010, 07:09 PM
Trading down would be nice but i say if Dez Bryant is there stay there and draft him it isnt very often when you can get WR of his type of abilaty

OrlandoFin
02-02-2010, 07:54 PM
First off, I've been talking about this for a while but the senior class this year is pretty poor IMO. The junior class didn't really save it that much. They only tied the record for most early declarations, they didn't shatter it like most predicted would happen because of the looming rookie wage scale in 2011. I know it's cliche to complain about the present draft and say it's not very talented, I hear it every year. Most times I argue against the notion. This year, I believe it's true.

However, when I look at the players set to be available a year from now, as well as the players that could/should declare by then, I'm drooling. I've never had such a clear idea in my head just how good the next class should be. I've certainly never come across a year where I can say with all honesty that so many of the best-in-college at their respective positions, aren't even draft eligible. Jonathan Baldwin is the best WR in college football, rivaled by Julio Jones, Michael Floyd and A.J. Green. None are draft eligible. Andrew Luck is the best QB in college football. He's not draft eligible. Mark Ingram is the best RB in college football. He's not draft eligible. Marcel Dareus and DaQuan Bowers might well be fighting for the right to call themselves the best Defensive Ends in college football, not draft eligible. I think that Patrick Peterson is the best corner in college football, and he's not draft eligible either. You just don't run into a situation like that very often, the best players at their positions not just being underclassmen but being draft ineligible. Is Derrick Morgan better than Dareus or Bowers? I don't know, I don't think so. Is Spiller better than Ingram? I'm not sure. Is Dez Bryant better than Baldwin? I don't think so. Is Clausen better than Luck? Not if you ask me. Is Haden better than Peterson? Not in my opinion. With as talented as those guys I would expect the bulk of them to come out early next year...because they don't have as much to prove.

And that's even taking aside the guys that decided to stay in school, and should be seniors next year. Jake Locker, Christian Ponder and Ryan Mallett round out a very solid upper QB class next year even if Andrew Luck doesn't come out (and I think he will, because by the end of next year I'm willing to bet Harbaugh leaves the program for greener pastures). Gabe Carimi and Nate Solder are very solid OTs that stayed in school. I think the world of Orlando Franklin as a Guard prospect, and both Rodney Hudson and Mike Pouncey also stayed in school at that position. Cameron Heyward and Greg Romeus stayed in school, as did Adrian Clayborn. Heyward and Clayborn in particular could be very high draft prospects. Marvin Austin and Allen Bailey stayed in school, as did Stephen Paea. Bruce Carter, Von Miller and none other than Mark Herzlich should round out a heck of a linebacker upper class, the sort that make you drool. Ras-I Dowling stayed in school and I think he has a lot of potential as a corner. Charles Brown and Kendric Burner also stayed in school at that spot. DeAndre McDaniel is a very promising safety prospect.

I mean, that's about 30 names right there...all guys I love, all guys I'd HEAVILY consider for a first round grade in THIS year's draft...all guys that should be in the draft next year.

Should be a banner year. Of course, watch the NFL screw it all up and have a lockout or some crap.

Thanks CK, I hadn't really looked at next year yet, been too dagum busy . As far as QBs go, I do like Luck, but I think Locker and Ponder are both very special QBs and not to mention Mallett, no doubt the QB class next year will blow this one out of the water, as will several others.

I bleed Garnet and Gold, so I am pulling for Ponder, but living here in the Triangle I see a lot of the Heels, and am looking forward to watching that defense next year. I think I may go the spring game that's gonna be on ESPN, they are going to go all out up here, especially after the year the basketball team to their minds off of it...LOL

cobbs321
02-02-2010, 10:59 PM
Thanks CK, I hadn't really looked at next year yet, been too dagum busy . As far as QBs go, I do like Luck, but I think Locker and Ponder are both very special QBs and not to mention Mallett, no doubt the QB class next year will blow this one out of the water, as will several others.

And don't forget about the WR's next year. There are 4 maybe 5 legit receivers that will one day be true #1 receivers, and all of them are 6-2 and up

I am Bane
02-02-2010, 11:25 PM
i have been thinking of the same.... if McClain is not there, or at least not thought of highly by the Parcells/Sparano crew then trade down.

the only other guy i am interested in up there would be OG- Iupati from Idaho, who i believe, and after the Senior Bowl looks like the REAL DEAL!!! but... we may even be able to snag him later first round

only prob is... the two guys i really want right now hard core is WR- Mardy Gilyard and OG- Mike Iupati... but now after senior bowl their name is out there more for a most probable boost in their selections.... BLEH on that

jlfin
02-02-2010, 11:48 PM

With all the holes fins need to fill, the best value for our money would be to load up on picks.

Not as bad as you (or others) make it out to be. The team does NOT have 'pressing needs' at G or even NT. The NT position needs an upgrade, however, Solai has improved each yr since he was drafted. He was an immature and inexperienced player as a rookie. I expect him to be even better next season as he still hasn't peaked as a player.
At the safety position, I expect Clemons to take Wilson's spot. There certainly is no guarantee that a 3rd or 4th rd talent in this draft would be an upgrade over Clemons.
ILB, TE and WR are really the only pressing needs with ILB the biggest need. I figure 1 or 2 of the team needs will be filled with FA's.
The biggest difference between the Phins and the elite teams is the lack of impact players on both offense and defense. One or both of our young CB's I feel will be impact players in due time. Wake could also be.
The Phins played both SB teams very tough because they match up well on both lines of scrimmage with nearly any team in the league. What they need are 2-3 difference makers on the team.
The team does not have that many holes. Your post makes it sound as if the team is the Lions or the Rams.

3rdandinches
02-03-2010, 12:03 AM
Trading down is always best and I wholeheartedly agree it's always good to obtain future picks. This year is a little different though with the impending lockout. I would assume if there is no draft that the picks would follow through to the first draft after a lockout but I have not heard anything on the subject.

There will be a draft in 2011 no matter what, a lockout will only happen before the season starts.

I am Bane
02-03-2010, 12:24 AM
jifin.... not sure what you are trying to get at.... if i read you correct:

i agree, we do not have tons of hole to fill, but where i may start seperating my thoughts from you is the holes we need to fill are gettin more important, if not been absent the past few.

ILB- i have stated may times, we NEED a playmaker that can get into the backfield next to Crowder, one whom shed quickly and can create.

WR- Obvious... hello, we need a guy that can produce consistantly, down field as well as running solid routes, and is not just a #2 (barely) WR... (even though i am fond of whom we have)... we need a more creating go to guy

NT- Fergauson is old, Soliai is developing but not doominating... would it be poor to add depth or competion, or even taking over of??? there seem to be some lower names developing at the NT spot as of now, we will see. We know more of Dan Williams, but check out Ordick, or even lesser names of Alex Carrington and D'Anthony Smith..... i looking into and Alex may be a nice nice snag somewhere!!!

FinsFanatic777
02-03-2010, 01:30 AM
CK you hit it right now. I used to pull for Dez Bryant, but after seeing how weak this draft class is, some team will jump and overreach for him. I'm picking defense... especially Earl Thomas. I love this kid.. He's raw but has so much potential. He's a bit undersized but he plays FS so he's not a big hitter; he's a ballhawk.

For the 2011 draft, my favorite player as of now is Michael Floyd. CK mentioned Jonathan Baldwin but when I see Floyd I see so much potential... He's 6'3", 220 pounds... That's an Andre Johnson clone right there. He has the speed, the hands, the athleticism.. He's the ENTIRE package IMO. His numbers might drop a bit because Clausen is leaving but if we draft a receiver I would take Floyd any day. Hell, if Floyd was eligible for the draft right now I would pick him over Bryant.

This draft is loaded on defense, and and we should take advantage of that.

FinsFanatic777
02-03-2010, 01:31 AM
*CK you hit it right on*

I am Bane
02-03-2010, 01:38 AM
i am with you for the most part... but Floys as an Andre Johnson or anything even close is a huge dream!!!

Floyd is not as fast, quick, or even fluent... not great hips and does no seperate anywhere close to Andre.... or even as to our main guys who struggle to go deep. Malcolm is big, a grand target, but lacks much to help us out... sadly!!!

CK you hit it right now. I used to pull for Dez Bryant, but after seeing how weak this draft class is, some team will jump and overreach for him. I'm picking defense... especially Earl Thomas. I love this kid.. He's raw but has so much potential. He's a bit undersized but he plays FS so he's not a big hitter; he's a ballhawk.

For the 2011 draft, my favorite player as of now is Michael Floyd. CK mentioned Jonathan Baldwin but when I see Floyd I see so much potential... He's 6'3", 220 pounds... That's an Andre Johnson clone right there. He has the speed, the hands, the athleticism.. He's the ENTIRE package IMO. His numbers might drop a bit because Clausen is leaving but if we draft a receiver I would take Floyd any day. Hell, if Floyd was eligible for the draft right now I would pick him over Bryant.

This draft is loaded on defense, and and we should take advantage of that.

newlownorder
02-03-2010, 02:30 AM
Trading down would be nice but i say if Dez Bryant is there stay there and draft him it isnt very often when you can get WR of his type of abilaty

That's very true. Dez would be very tempting at #12, the thought of having a legit #1 possible all pro WR is extremely tempting, I just don't think he will be there. If McClain is there, I think there is no doubt you take him. But again, I think he's gone by #12. Trading back would be a good idea. I think there is enough talent available for someone to jump and for us to gain extra picks. I am intrigued by gaining 2, 2nd round picks this year. I think there would be some good prospects available with those 2 picks.

CK, I like the idea of trading for another pick next year. 2011 could be very loaded in our favor. If we could pick up somone like Spoon in this draft and get 2 first round picks next year I would be very happy.

TedSlimmJr
02-03-2010, 05:41 AM

I've always been on your side in reguards to acquiring more picks in 2011....particularly high picks...

When you look at what Miami's most critical needs are, and their respective positions (NT, ILB, FS, etc, etc,) they're ALL positions that generally aren't "priority" positions early in the 1st round anyway....so it makes sense to trade down for Miami....especially should they lose out on McClain or Dez Bryant....and acquire more picks in the process...

Not to mention...trading down is always a solid philosophy in a draft where a record number of underclassman have declared...

I would gladly take more ammunition for 2011 in exchange for a few 2010 picks......and that's without even adding about 20 more incredible prospects to the one's you've already mentioned...

Clipse
02-03-2010, 06:46 AM
I've always been on your side in reguards to acquiring more picks in 2011....particularly high picks...

When you look at what Miami's most critical needs are, and their respective positions (NT, ILB, FS, etc, etc,) they're ALL positions that generally aren't "priority" positions early in the 1st round anyway....so it makes sense to trade down for Miami....especially should they lose out on McClain or Dez Bryant....and acquire more picks in the process...

Not to mention...trading down is always a solid philosophy in a draft where a record number of underclassman have declared...

I would gladly take more ammunition for 2011 in exchange for a few 2010 picks......and that's without even adding about 20 more incredible prospects to the one's you've already mentioned...
No doubt. Next year's draft class is just amazing. Hell I jizz in my pants when I think about the WR class alone :hump:

jlfin
02-03-2010, 08:04 AM
jifin.... not sure what you are trying to get at.... if i read you correct:

i agree, we do not have tons of hole to fill, but where i may start seperating my thoughts from you is the holes we need to fill are gettin more important, if not been absent the past few.

ILB- i have stated may times, we NEED a playmaker that can get into the backfield next to Crowder, one whom shed quickly and can create.

WR- Obvious... hello, we need a guy that can produce consistantly, down field as well as running solid routes, and is not just a #2 (barely) WR... (even though i am fond of whom we have)... we need a more creating go to guy

NT- Fergauson is old, Soliai is developing but not doominating... would it be poor to add depth or competion, or even taking over of??? there seem to be some lower names developing at the NT spot as of now, we will see. We know more of Dan Williams, but check out Ordick, or even lesser names of Alex Carrington and D'Anthony Smith..... i looking into and Alex may be a nice nice snag somewhere!!!

I interpret a pressing need as a position that MUST be upgraded because the talent on this team is sub par. Clearly ILB and WR fall in that category.Those are the positions you want to spend a high draft pick on.
I make a distinction between that and merely wanting to tinker and upgrade certain other positions (or build depth). That is what the middle of the draft is for IMO.
That was my only point. Some people have made posts that would have you think the sky is falling and that we have this major overhaul to do.
I don't think it is that bad.
In general it is always good to have a lot of draft picks, not because it helps you fill many holes, but because it reduces your margin for error.
The team played poorly at the end of the season, but keep in mind we lost Ronnie Brown AND the O-line was shuffled around quite a bit do to a few injuries. The Jets, on the other hand, just happened to peak at the right time.

TedSlimmJr
02-03-2010, 08:15 AM
I interpret a pressing need as a position that MUST be upgraded because the talent on this team is sub par. Clearly ILB and WR fall in that category.Those are the positions you want to spend a high draft pick on.
I make a distinction between that and merely wanting to tinker and upgrade certain other positions (or build depth). That is what the middle of the draft is for IMO.
That was my only point. Some people have made posts that would have you think the sky is falling and that we have this major overhaul to do.
I don't think it is that bad.
In general it is always good to have a lot of draft picks, not because it helps you fill many holes, but because it reduces your margin for error.
The team played poorly at the end of the season, but keep in mind we lost Ronnie Brown AND the O-line was shuffled around quite a bit do to a few injuries. The Jets, on the other hand, just happened to peak at the right time.

This is still ignoring the elephant in the room.....

The injuries along the offensive line were to guys these football "czars" decided to give a **** load of money to who turned out to be exactly what they were before they received all that money in the first place.....part time players who can't stay on the field...

Until something peculiar happens and they actually do stay on the field...there is still a LOT of work to do....

They have to find a nose tackle....even they had to know that old *** Ferg was only going to buy them so much time....Solia is a backup quality nose tackle...

The ENTIRE linebacking unit has to be re-tooled....search 31 other teams and you will not find a poorer, less talented, older, more overpaid unit....

Clipse
02-03-2010, 08:37 AM
This is still ignoring the elephant in the room.....

The injuries along the offensive line were to guys these football "czars" decided to give a **** load of money to who turned out to be exactly what they were before they received all that money in the first place.....part time players who can't stay on the field...

Until something peculiar happens and they actually do stay on the field...there is still a LOT of work to do....

They have to find a nose tackle....even they had to know that old *** Ferg was only going to buy them so much time....Solia is a backup quality nose tackle...

The ENTIRE linebacking unit has to be re-tooled....search 31 other teams and you will not find a poorer, less talented, older, more overpaid unit....
As well as an offense devoid of a single playmaker, a KR/PR, and a safety who can cover worth a damn. This team is still full of holes.

RealDriscoll
02-03-2010, 12:04 PM
I don't think you trade the pick and the reason is I think Dez Bryant is better than Baldwin, Jones, Green, and Flyod. I think Spiller is better Ingram; We are sure to land a superstar at #12.

SF Dolphin Fan
02-03-2010, 12:27 PM

It really depends. The Dolphins have a chance to get a great player at #12 and while trading down would bring more picks it's not necessarily the right move every year. Most of us probably remember when Jimmy Johnson traded out of the 1st round and missed out on Randy Moss. Think what Moss could have meant to this team over the last decade. So it really depends on who is there at #12.

Orlando Fan
02-03-2010, 01:46 PM
I don't think you trade the pick and the reason is I think Dez Bryant is better than Baldwin, Jones, Green, and Flyod. I think Spiller is better Ingram; We are sure to land a superstar at #12.

Driscoll is right, you don't trade down unless the 2-3 players they have targeted are gone, Plus in order to trade down you need another team to trade with you, sure there could be a few willing to move up to grab a certain player they have targeted but if no team bites then the Fins must take the pick at #12 . However I'm sure they will know if there is any intrest in a team moving up 2-3 picks before #12 is on the clock.:ponder:

j-off-her-doll
02-03-2010, 02:01 PM
It's not easy to trade down - not while getting the type of value you'd want. We've wanted to trade down numerous times. We even traded down in the 2nd last season and didn't pick up much for the move. It's not as easy as you all are making it sound.

TedSlimmJr
02-03-2010, 02:11 PM
It's fairly obvious that you need a partner in order to trade up or down....that doesn't really need to be pointed out....it's mostly a given when discussing it....

It's always usually going to be a QB, OL, or DB still on the board that a team covets in order for a trade to happen...

The point is if Miami misses out on Bryant or McClain at #12 (and they probably won't know until Denver picks if one of them is already off the board by then) then trading down is the best option considering the needs Miami has and their value...

Or trading current picks for 2011 picks.....just like they decided to finally throw their hands up in last years draft due to all the guys they liked being gone for 2010 draft picks (albeit in the latter rounds)...

hooshoops
02-03-2010, 02:39 PM
that's my thoughts also...bryant mcclain or trade down...

and maybe try and nab dan williams with the trade down...

I am Bane
02-03-2010, 02:54 PM
though i was dissapointed with Wilson's play against the pass quite often, our scheme left him hanging on a big island out there to defend him. hence a major reason Pauly P got fired... our schemes left some odd match-ups, lets our whole secondary on islands quite often, and LB's on WR's often... and the worst i reemmber was against Houston, how is Nathan Jones (who i like a lot in out nickles and dimes) matched up against Andre Johnson man-to-man???

As well as an offense devoid of a single playmaker, a KR/PR, and a safety who can cover worth a damn. This team is still full of holes.

I am Bane
02-03-2010, 02:57 PM
all in all, i think most of us are stating that they wouldn't mind trading down due to the lack of valued players that may be left at our pick.... but if a name was there that we dfeinitely are targetting then get them!!!

phinfreak
02-03-2010, 05:18 PM

Ask Rex Ryan.

Ask any team that believes they are 1 or 2 players away from making the playoffs or SB.

Teams that have many needs need many players.

Teams that are close, need 1 or 2 players.

Comprende?

phinfreak
02-03-2010, 05:22 PM
Not as bad as you (or others) make it out to be. The team does NOT have 'pressing needs' at G or even NT. The NT position needs an upgrade, however, Solai has improved each yr since he was drafted. He was an immature and inexperienced player as a rookie. I expect him to be even better next season as he still hasn't peaked as a player.
At the safety position, I expect Clemons to take Wilson's spot. There certainly is no guarantee that a 3rd or 4th rd talent in this draft would be an upgrade over Clemons.
ILB, TE and WR are really the only pressing needs with ILB the biggest need. I figure 1 or 2 of the team needs will be filled with FA's.
The biggest difference between the Phins and the elite teams is the lack of impact players on both offense and defense. One or both of our young CB's I feel will be impact players in due time. Wake could also be.
The Phins played both SB teams very tough because they match up well on both lines of scrimmage with nearly any team in the league. What they need are 2-3 difference makers on the team.
The team does not have that many holes. Your post makes it sound as if the team is the Lions or the Rams.

Dude, 7 AND 9!!!

Nuff said. :crazy:

Clipse
02-03-2010, 08:40 PM
though i was dissapointed with Wilson's play against the pass quite often, our scheme left him hanging on a big island out there to defend him. hence a major reason Pauly P got fired... our schemes left some odd match-ups, lets our whole secondary on islands quite often, and LB's on WR's often... and the worst i reemmber was against Houston, how is Nathan Jones (who i like a lot in out nickles and dimes) matched up against Andre Johnson man-to-man???
Scheme had a lot to do with it. The quarters coverage was bad, very bad. But no matter what the scheme is, we just won't be able to get away with having two linebackers at safety with similar skillsets, none being good coverage.

FinaticalOne
02-03-2010, 08:50 PM
trading down is the best move in any year, in any round, for any team ...

it's not really up for debate

:hi5: