PDA

View Full Version : 82nd Academy Award nominees.

Tetragrammaton
02-02-2010, 07:10 PM
Best Picture
“Avatar”
“The Blind Side”
“District 9”
“An Education”
“The Hurt Locker”
“Inglourious Basterds”
“Precious”
“A Serious Man”
“Up”
“Up in the Air”
Best Director
James Cameron, “Avatar”
Kathryn Bigelow, “The Hurt Locker”
“Quentin Tarantino, “Inglourious Basterds”
“Lee Daniels, “Precious”
Jason Reitman, “Up in the Air”
Best Actor
Jeff Bridges, “Crazy Heart”
George Clooney, “Up in the Air”
Colin Firth, “A Single Man”
Morgan Freeman, “Invictus”
Jeremy Renner, “The Hurt Locker”
Best Actress
Sandra Bullock, “The Blind Side”
Helen Mirren, “The Last Station”
Carey Mulligan, “An Education”
Gabourey Sidibe, “Precious”
Meryl Streep, “Julie & Julia”
Best Supporting Actor
Matt Damon, “Invictus”
Woody Harrelon, “The Messenger”
Christopher Plummer, “The Last Station”
Stanley Tucci, “The Lovely Bones”
Christoph Waltz, “Inglourious Basterds”
Best Supporting Actress
Penelope Cruz, “Nine”
Vera Farmiga, “Up in the Air”
Maggie Gyllenhaal, “Crazy Heart”
Anna Kendrick, “Up in the Air”
Mo’Nique, “Precious”
Best Adapted Screenplay
“District 9”
“An Education”
“In the Loop”
“Precious”
“Up in the Air”
Best Original Screenplay
“The Hurt Locker”
“Inglourious Basterds”
“The Messenger”
“A Serious Man”
“Up”
Best Animated Feature Film
“Coraline”
“Fantastic Mr. Fox”
“The Princess and the Frog”
“The Secret of Kells”
“Up”
Best Foreign Language Film
“Ajami” (Israel)
“The Milk of Sorrow” (Peru)
“A Prophet” (France)
“The Secret in Their Eyes” (Argentina)
“The White Ribbon” (Germany)
Best Documentary Feature
“Burma VJ: Reporting from a Closed Country”
“The Cove”
“Food, Inc.”
“The Most Dangerous Man in America: Daniel Ellsberg and the Pentagon Papers”
“Which Way Home”

After the disaster of the last few years, where all the nominees were movies no one has seen, they went very populist this year. An interesting list, nonetheless.

GoonBoss
02-02-2010, 07:41 PM
Best Picture
“Avatar”
“The Blind Side”
“District 9”
“An Education”
“The Hurt Locker”
“Inglourious Basterds”
“Precious”
“A Serious Man”
“Up”
“Up in the Air”
Best Director
James Cameron, “Avatar”
Kathryn Bigelow, “The Hurt Locker”
“Quentin Tarantino, “Inglourious Basterds”
“Lee Daniels, “Precious”
Jason Reitman, “Up in the Air”
Best Actor
Jeff Bridges, “Crazy Heart”
George Clooney, “Up in the Air”
Colin Firth, “A Single Man”
Morgan Freeman, “Invictus”
Jeremy Renner, “The Hurt Locker”
Best Actress
Sandra Bullock, “The Blind Side”
Helen Mirren, “The Last Station”
Carey Mulligan, “An Education”
Gabourey Sidibe, “Precious”
Meryl Streep, “Julie & Julia”
Best Supporting Actor
Matt Damon, “Invictus”
Woody Harrelon, “The Messenger”
Christopher Plummer, “The Last Station”
Stanley Tucci, “The Lovely Bones”
Christoph Waltz, “Inglourious Basterds”
Best Supporting Actress
Penelope Cruz, “Nine”
Vera Farmiga, “Up in the Air”
Maggie Gyllenhaal, “Crazy Heart”
Anna Kendrick, “Up in the Air”
Mo’Nique, “Precious”
Best Adapted Screenplay I could not tell you
“District 9”
“An Education”
“In the Loop”
“Precious”
“Up in the Air”
Best Original Screenplay
“The Hurt Locker”
“Inglourious Basterds”
“The Messenger”
“A Serious Man”
“Up”
Best Animated Feature Film
“Coraline”
“Fantastic Mr. Fox”
“The Princess and the Frog”
“The Secret of Kells”
“Up”
Best Foreign Language Film
“Ajami” (Israel)
“The Milk of Sorrow” (Peru)
“A Prophet” (France)
“The Secret in Their Eyes” (Argentina)
“The White Ribbon” (Germany)
Best Documentary Feature
“Burma VJ: Reporting from a Closed Country”
“The Cove”
“Food, Inc.”
“The Most Dangerous Man in America: Daniel Ellsberg and the Pentagon Papers”
“Which Way Home”

After the disaster of the last few years, where all the nominees were movies no one has seen, they went very populist this year. An interesting list, nonetheless.

In red are my choices.

poornate
02-02-2010, 08:14 PM
Crazy Heart and Hurt Locker are definitely on my MUST SEE list... but I am doing 50s-60s films right now... mostly

Tetragrammaton
02-02-2010, 08:27 PM
I forgot, Goon likes films. You got out to see The Hurt Locker and Crazy Heart?

GoonBoss
02-02-2010, 08:45 PM
I forgot, Goon likes films. You got out to see The Hurt Locker and Crazy Heart?

I wouldn't say I "got out" to see Crazy Heart.....I did get out to see Hurt Locker though. From what I could see on the technical side it was pretty accurate. What I look for in military films is; Do they talk like soldiers talk? Do they act how soldiers would act? In this case it's a big yes. The patches are in the right places.....About the only scene I had a quarrell with was where they encountered the contracters.....I mean...C'mon. I happen to know it was and is common practice for non Arabic guys to dress up in the Shemagas, etc and carry AKs to blend in, rather than depend on armor. It's a minor quibble though.

I thought Crazy heart wasn't that great....It's not as good as an earlier Bridges effort in "The Fabulous Baker Boys" which is one of my favorite films ever. He was just the embodyment of what you need an actor to be in a film IMO.

Tetragrammaton
02-02-2010, 09:24 PM
By the way, Goon, you recommended Master and Commander and Black Hawk Down a long time ago. I saw them both. I liked Black Hawk Down a lot, even if it is like a theme park ride. Master and Commander, meh.

GoonBoss
02-02-2010, 09:41 PM
By the way, Goon, you recommended Master and Commander and Black Hawk Down a long time ago. I saw them both. I liked Black Hawk Down a lot, even if it is like a theme park ride. Master and Commander, meh.

Well, BHD is a Ridley Scott film, so.......You know.

It was definitly action intensive, but that's pretty accurate, in that it was the most intense urban combat that the US had seen since Hue and prior to Fallujah. There were a signifigant ammount of technical errors, but I sort of overlooked them The scenes involving Shutgart and Gordon were exilerating and heartbreaking at the same time.

One laughable critique I heard about BHD was that it was "A whole bunch of white soldiers shooting black people"......Well, guess what? Accuracy sucks sometimes. Somolis, I'd feel safe to say are black for the most part, and I know for a fact that there was one single black guy with the Rangers involved that day. That's a very common theme in elite forces, BTW...They are mainly white and hispanic. There are a variety of reasons for this.

I really enjoyed Master and Commander, but then I've always enjoyed Swashbucklers.

Tetragrammaton
02-02-2010, 09:46 PM
Well, BHD is a Ridley Scott film, so.......You know.

It was definitly action intensive, but that's pretty accurate, in that it was the most intense urban combat that the US had seen since Hue and prior to Fallujah. There were a signifigant ammount of technical errors, but I sort of overlooked them The scenes involving Shutgart and Gordon were exilerating and heartbreaking at the same time.

One laughable critique I heard about BHD was that it was "A whole bunch of white soldiers shooting black people"......Well, guess what? Accuracy sucks sometimes. Somolis, I'd feel safe to say are black for the most part, and I know for a fact that there was one single black guy with the Rangers involved that day. That's a very common theme in elite forces, BTW...They are mainly white and hispanic. There are a variety of reasons for this.

I really enjoyed Master and Commander, but then I've always enjoyed Swashbucklers.

I understand that the intensity was accurate, but as a film viewer, it is exhausting. The film takes half an hour giving you bare bones character development, and then it just throws it at you for two hours straight. Also, Ari Gold died.

GoonBoss
02-02-2010, 10:08 PM
I understand that the intensity was accurate, but as a film viewer, it is exhausting. The film takes half an hour giving you bare bones character development, and then it just throws it at you for two hours straight. Also, Ari Gold died.

:lol: I had to look up who that was. Mrs Goon was shocked when I pointed out Elvis Wolcot was Jeremy Piven!

I recognize that it was exausting. I've heard that before as well. To me, that's how you should feel. You should feel skulldrug coming out of it. At least you liked it. I'm usually pretty spot on with my reccomendations. Sorry you didn't care for the one.

PhinPhan910
02-03-2010, 07:48 AM
How can district 9 be on this list, its terrible!

Possum
02-03-2010, 07:55 AM
because it was made by Peter Jackson:rolleyes2:

Tetragrammaton
02-03-2010, 11:11 AM

Really? I thought it was one of the more creative blockbusters in a few years.

DzakkH13
02-03-2010, 11:49 PM
District 9 is good in the sense that it parallels a lot of current and past issues of certain societies interactions to another "lesser" society. In that sense it is portrayed brilliantly. Also, some of the CGI was amazing.

DzakkH13
02-03-2010, 11:52 PM
If it were up to me Inglourious Basterds would win every catagory it is in, but that is just me. That said, it think Avatar will be the biggest winner and deservingly so.

Although, I do believe Christoph Waltz truely deserves to win Best Supporting Actor.

X-Pacolypse
02-06-2010, 11:57 AM
I think Avatar is going to win a lot of awards. Although, I hope the Blind Side gets some love as well. Great movie!

GoonBoss
02-06-2010, 12:19 PM
The Hurt Locker is so much better than every movie on the list it's not even funny.

Ricky4Life
02-06-2010, 07:20 PM
Hurt Locker was awesome.

DzakkH13
02-24-2010, 01:19 AM
Finally saw Hurt Locker and it gets my pick for Best Movie. It is so great on so many levels and is truely a masterpiece of filmaking.

GoonBoss
02-25-2010, 08:17 AM
Finally saw Hurt Locker and it gets my pick for Best Movie. It is so great on so many levels and is truely a masterpiece of filmaking.

The scene where the main character is talking to his sone about the things you truely love, and how they diminish as you age is one of the only scenes in movies in the alst couple of decades that really got me where it hurt. That's almost straight out of my head.

DzakkH13
02-25-2010, 08:56 PM
The scene where the main character is talking to his sone about the things you truely love, and how they diminish as you age is one of the only scenes in movies in the alst couple of decades that really got me where it hurt. That's almost straight out of my head.

That is such a great moment. Made me think about a lot of things and they way I live my life. Very few movies can actually do that. :up:

DzakkH13
03-07-2010, 04:40 PM
My Predictions:

Best Picture - The Hurt Locker

Best Actor - Jeff Bridges in Crazy Heart

Best Actress - Sandra Bullock in The Blind Side

Best Supporting Actor - Christopher Waltz in Inglourious Basterds

Best Supporting Actress - Mo'Nique in Precious

Best Animated Film - Up

Cinematography - Avatar

Best Director - Kathryn Bigelow for The Hurt Locker

Film Editing - The Hurt Locker

Best Adapted Screenplay - District 9

Best Original Screenplay - Inglourious Basterds

GoonBoss
03-08-2010, 08:21 AM
These are the first awards that I really have no issue with in a while. Maybe the only one I have issues with is Bigelow. I don't think that the directing was really anything special in Hurt Locker. I think Hollywood just saw a chance to buck precident and award the Oscar to a woman.

Blitz
03-08-2010, 09:39 AM
I was glad to see The Hurt Locker get the recognition it deserves. I saw it three times in the theater last summer, before most anybody had heard about it, and I was quite certain it would prove to be the best film of 2009 (And possibly the best film since No Country for Old Men or The Departed). I have yet to see it on DVD/Blu-ray, but I suspect the film loses some of its "oomph" off of the silver screen. *SPOILER ALERT* I am thinking, in particular, of the opening scene and the section involving the "suicide" bomber *END OF SPOILER ALERT*

Avatar was a fun popcorn flick that produced 1000 times more revenue, but The Hurt Locker is hardcore celluloid. Hopefully this win will shoot the DVD/Blu-ray to the top of the rental/sales charts.

With regards to acting...happy to see The Dude still abides. Christoph Waltz is one hell of an actor. I cannot wait to see what he has in store for us down the road.

Blitz
03-08-2010, 09:43 AM
Oh, and Up is probably the best family film of all-time.