PDA

View Full Version : Corrections Academy Diary

GoonBoss
02-04-2010, 06:34 AM
Well, off I go. Just finished breakfast, and I'm about to go off to the Texas Department Of Criminal Justice's Corrections Academy. This is my first day of a 5 and 1/2 week school that'll teach me all about that sorta stuff. I thought It might be interesting to keep an online journal and update it as I go. I'm looking forward to it as it's actually a career, and not just a job.

I'll check back in later tonight.

Possum
02-04-2010, 06:59 AM
good luck goon. :hi5:

Bumpus
02-04-2010, 08:15 AM
Kick ***, Goon! :up:

GoonBoss
02-05-2010, 07:33 AM
Day1: Mainly inprocessing. Lots of forms and suchlike. The benefits package is pretty good, I must say. Lots of shuffleing papers and learning people's names. We met our instructors, who I was impressed with. I'm fixin' to head out for day 2 which promises to be much of the same thing as yesterday. We had a little homework over the basic behavior regulations and such.

FinFan 13
02-05-2010, 04:05 PM
Day1: Mainly inprocessing. Lots of forms and suchlike. The benefits package is pretty good, I must say. Lots of shuffleing papers and learning people's names. We met our instructors, who I was impressed with. I'm fixin' to head out for day 2 which promises to be much of the same thing as yesterday. We had a little homework over the basic behavior regulations and such.

Goon,
What are you going to be doing for your career?

GoonBoss
02-06-2010, 12:22 PM
Goon,
What are you going to be doing for your career?

Babysitting convicts, from what I understand. Doesn't pay a whole lot, but the bennies are good, and, it's a state job. I'm paying my own salary!

myke1072
02-06-2010, 12:47 PM
As a current criminal justice student, I am interested in this. Please ...... continue.

GoonBoss
02-06-2010, 01:20 PM
Day 2. It's mainly orientation. We learned about some basic regulations, including PD-22, which is the guide for CO's rules and regulations. We got out extra duty details. I'm working range cleanup, gym cleanup and flag detail. I got a 98% on my first test....5 out of our 31 class got 100s. **** me. I guess my goal of graduating at the top of the class is shot. Oh well.

Next week starts block 1. It's history of TDCJ and that sorta stuff. Everyone says this is the toughest test of all of them coming up.

GoonBoss
02-06-2010, 01:21 PM
As a current criminal justice student, I am interested in this. Please ...... continue.

For reference, I got hired in as a CO III, as opposed to a CO I by virtue of .mil experience.

JCane
02-06-2010, 01:41 PM
I work for the state as well as an IT guy. Basically, I'm a computer nerd. I like to go hang out at the Detention Center on Thursday night because it's college night and you see a lot of kids get dragged in for underage drinking. I like to watch them squirm and call their parents at 2:00AM crying because they've been arrested. It's hilarious.

Prostituton sting night if effing hilarious as well. But I sit back and watch these officers deal with these goobers and I couldn't do it lol. People are idiots. I've seen dudes get tasered and pepper sprayed which is always good for a chuckle or two. The beauty of it all is that I just come and go as I please....or when an officer gets aggravated with his computer and decides to pistol whip a printer or something.

I love my job.

:lol:

FinFan 13
02-06-2010, 03:36 PM
Babysitting convicts, from what I understand. Doesn't pay a whole lot, but the bennies are good, and, it's a state job. I'm paying my own salary!

Federal or state inmates? My buddy is a corrections officer, he seems to like it. He said the promotions are few and far between though. But that is here in Ga, I don't know the situation in Texas. He is pretty much in it for the beni's as well.

Vaark
02-06-2010, 07:33 PM
well, you do have an appropriately-named FH nick for your new vocation:up:

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2010/02/qq7kzn-1.jpg

GoonBoss
02-07-2010, 03:22 PM
Federal or state inmates? My buddy is a corrections officer, he seems to like it. He said the promotions are few and far between though. But that is here in Ga, I don't know the situation in Texas. He is pretty much in it for the beni's as well.

State. Federal is a whole different ballgame. There is room for promotion in TX, as we are the second largest corrections system in the US, just behind CA.

FinFan 13
02-07-2010, 03:47 PM
I can see it now...." in other news... A CO in TX known only as Goon, single-handedly quelled a riot.....film at 11."

GoonBoss
02-07-2010, 05:29 PM
I can see it now...." in other news... A CO in TX known only as Goon, single-handedly quelled a riot.....film at 11."

Heh. We get to go over chemical agents week after next. I'm lookin' forward to it.

CedarPhin
02-07-2010, 06:26 PM
Sounds like a good deal.

GoonBoss
02-08-2010, 07:16 AM
Well, I'm off for my first full week of class. I'll be staying in the BOQ to save myself a 60 mile round trip every day, so I'll probably update at the end of this week when I get home on Friday.

This week we go over history of TDCJ, our benefit packages, and that sort of stuff. I think we get to do chemical agents and delivery devices late in the week.

Oh, I'll try to get a picture in my uniform when I can.

JCane
02-08-2010, 07:20 AM
Be sure to detail your first use of the night stick!

:chuckle:

Myles Fynch
02-08-2010, 12:28 PM
The title of this thread got my hopes up it that someone found a diary from someone at a reform school for wayward girls. Dammit.

Anyway, good luck Goon... I know you will make FH proud. Or as my buddy used to say, you have to know the rules before you can break them in style.

GoonBoss
02-15-2010, 07:39 AM
Well, 1 and 1/2 weeks down. 4 more to go. We've had two tests so far, both 50 question multiple choice tests. I got a 98 on the first one and a 94 on the one friday. This past week we went over use of force, the greivance process for offenders and COs, and various portions of our benefits like sick/vacation days, comp time, etc. The class in front of us graduated this past friday, so now we're the senior class. This week we get chemical agents...So that ought to be fun. lol.

Possum
02-15-2010, 07:50 AM
Well, 1 and 1/2 weeks down. 4 more to go. We've had two tests so far, both 50 question multiple choice tests. I got a 98 on the first one and a 94 on the one friday. This past week we went over use of force, the greivance process for offenders and COs, and various portions of our benefits like sick/vacation days, comp time, etc. The class in front of us graduated this past friday, so now we're the senior class. This week we get chemical agents...So that ought to be fun. lol.
a 94 Goon? that is unaccpetable COME ON MAN!!!

GoonBoss
02-15-2010, 08:21 AM
a 94 Goon? that is unaccpetable COME ON MAN!!!

:lol:

I know, right? I'm not sure which questions I missed, but I do know one which was how much of our pay was held back for retirement. The book said somthing different than what the actual answer was. Ah well.

Ricky4Life
02-16-2010, 02:21 PM
Congrats Goon, I will be following along.

GoonBoss
02-17-2010, 08:08 AM
The test this week is on thursday, and we get gassed on friday. I think today we're on Pyro and gas delivery devices.

We had an interesting discussion of situational ethics, and how we'd react to different situations on teusday. 2 times a week we train extensivly on hand to hand teqniques includeing punches, kicks, knees and elbow strikes. We learn more as we go.

GoonBoss
02-26-2010, 08:05 AM
Well, it's the last day of the 3 1/2 week mark. We survived the CS gassing we got last week. It wasn't a great deal of fun being exposed to chem agents, but they are our biggest tool other than our brains in dealing with inmates. The gassing wasn't that bad...Lots less worse than the Army. We got to see the munitions like the grenades and the 37MM gas gun.

This week we pretty much went over the psycological aspects of the profession and how to avoid pitfalls set for us by offenders trying to manipulate us into bringing things in for them like cellphoines, etc.

Next week we get one day's worth of tou on two different units, one of which will be the one I'm working on, which is cool. The next class also starts next week. Almost there! 2 more weeks till graduation.