PDA

View Full Version : Drafting a Halfback

Ricky_Fan34
02-04-2010, 09:47 PM
First of all, let me start off by saying I am a huge CJ Spiller fan. I think passing on him would be a mistake. However, I understand defense is our achilles heal, and IMO is what cost us the playoffs this year. I think Spillers could take this team to the next level though. Right now I'm on the fence as to what I would do if I were calling the shots on draft day.

If we do go defense at #12 overall, then I hope we grab Dexter McCluster or Joe McKnight from USC (I think it's Joe). Preferably McCluster. This scenario is much more likely I think, because defense is really the glaring need.

If by the far off chance we manage to grab Karlos Dansby and Vince Wilfork, then I would say Spiller at 12 would almost be the obvious pick. This scenario is probably the least likely, seeing as how both players, especially Wilfork, are going to cost a pretty penny.

Drafting a running back in this draft is a must because of how questionable our backfield looks for 2 years down the road. McCluster won't be a starter in the NFL, would be a great Reggie Bush type player. Spiller is the real deal, but unfortunately would not allow for us to help out the defense in the first round. I don't really know much about McKnight, but from what I have heard he is a great player too.

Thoughts?

kwill29
02-04-2010, 09:58 PM
I also hope we can take care of some defensive needs through free agency. I would love to have Spiller, the dude is going to be the real deal at the NFL level. He is just a touchdown waiting to happen. If we don't take care of the defensive needs through free agency we just don't have the luxury to draft spiller, even though IMO he is BPA at #12 with Suh and Berry off the board. With that said, if we draft defense at #12, I would prefer a Johnathan Dwyer in the second round rather than McKnight or McCluster. IMO Dwyer will be a better all around back, even though McCluster could be a difference maker if he is used right. I just don't have very much hope of this organization using him right after Ted Ginn and Pat White failing uber hard.

Ricky_Fan34
02-04-2010, 10:01 PM
I also hope we can take care of some defensive needs through free agency. I would love to have Spiller, the dude is going to be the real deal at the NFL level. He is just a touchdown waiting to happen. If we don't take care of the defensive needs through free agency we just don't have the luxury to draft spiller, even though IMO he is BPA at #12 with Suh and Berry off the board.
IF Berry somehow falls, which again is highly unlikely, I think we have to pull the trigger and not think twice. Berry may be somewhat of a luxury pick, he is too good to pass up on defense, and he would help most any defense in the NFL.

3rdandinches
02-04-2010, 10:02 PM
It's a real tough call, I could easily go Spiller, McClain or Bryant and I keep flip flopping. FA becomes a small factor if we get Dansby because it almost forsure eliminates McClain. If Spiller is as good as advertised then that might become to good to pass up.
I do think the need for a #1 WR is way overblown by some fans and a Spiller would actually have a greater impact.

Tough call, I'm glad I don't have to make it!

Ricky_Fan34
02-04-2010, 10:04 PM
It's a real tough call, I could easily go Spiller, McClain or Bryant and I keep flip flopping. FA becomes a small factor if we get Dansby because it almost forsure eliminates McClain. If Spiller is as good as advertised then that might become to good to pass up.
I do think the need for a #1 WR is way overblown by some fans and a Spiller would actually have a greater impact.

Tough call, I'm glad I don't have to make it!
In your offseason plan in your sig... You really think Gilyard will fall to the third? I see him as a 2nd rounder.

sinPHIN
02-04-2010, 10:06 PM
i think if mclain is on the board at twelve whether we get dansby or not that he is the guy. dansby and mclain in the middle would be great then we could get of crowder. but the rb we need to pick up in mabey the second if there in jahvid best out of cal. i just dont like the idea of picking up rb's that are just wildcat and 3rd down backs.

kwill29
02-04-2010, 10:07 PM
IF Berry somehow falls, which again is highly unlikely, I think we have to pull the trigger and not think twice. Berry may be somewhat of a luxury pick, he is too good to pass up on defense, and he would help most any defense in the NFL.

Oh no doubt, Berry is wayyyyy to good to pass up, if anything its not much of a luxury pick because who knows what is going to happen with our FS situation. Gibril Wilson won't be playing there again this year, and Clemons hasn't shown much. He automatically turns FS from a weak position to a strong position.

sinPHIN
02-04-2010, 10:08 PM
i totally agree but it isnt going to happen

ColonelJ
02-04-2010, 10:09 PM
We need to fix the Oline. We still have problems with Donald Thomas, and Smiley. I don't see either as a long term solution. We better fix it this year so that we have the foundation going forward towards SB. Once we finish the line we can get a variety of backs to do the job. But I would not mind Spiller at 12 but only if the decision is to part ways with Ronnie.

Ricky_Fan34
02-04-2010, 10:09 PM
i think if mclain is on the board at twelve whether we get dansby or not that he is the guy. dansby and mclain in the middle would be great then we could get of crowder. but the rb we need to pick up in mabey the second if there in jahvid best out of cal. i just dont like the idea of picking up rb's that are just wildcat and 3rd down backs.
If that was to happen, wouldn't we move Crowder to OLB? Somewhere I heard that is his natural position? I can't remember whether or not it is.

Ricky_Fan34
02-04-2010, 10:10 PM
We need to fix the Oline. We still have problems with Donald Thomas, and Smiley. I don't see either as a long term solution. We better fix it this year so that we have the foundation going forward towards SB. Once we finish the line we can get a variety of backs to do the job. But I would not mind Spiller at 12 but only if the decision is to part ways with Ronnie.
The offensive line is great. I think that is our strong point on the team, actually.

Ricky_Fan34
02-04-2010, 10:11 PM
i totally agree but it isnt going to happen
You never know... Stranger things have happened.

ColonelJ
02-04-2010, 10:12 PM
The offensive line is great. I think that is our strong point on the team, actually.

Yes and no imo. The offensive line is the best part as wel as the quarterback and the fullback. That's what gives us confidence that we can win. But I don't feel that the Oline is finished. We spent a lot of money getting Long, Carey, Grove, Smiley. But I don't think that Thomas and Smiley are long term solutions at guard. Our line is what gives me confidence, but it's still not like the great Cowboys and PAts and Broncos lines.

sinPHIN
02-04-2010, 10:14 PM
You never know... Stranger things have happened.
true

Ricky_Fan34
02-04-2010, 10:15 PM
Yes and no imo. The offensive line is the best part as wel as the quarterback and the fullback. That's what gives us confidence that we can win. But I don't feel that the Oline is finished. We spent a lot of money getting Long, Carey, Grove, Smiley. But I don't think that Thomas and Smiley are long term solutions at guard. Our line is what gives me confidence, but it's still not like the great Cowboys and PAts and Broncos lines.
Those lines aren't even that great. Cowboys line is old, Broncos have Clady, and the Patriots line has really deteriorated since the superbowl in 07. Sure, they all have good lines, but I'd say at this point MIA's is better.

X-Pacolypse
02-04-2010, 10:15 PM

I'm not ready to give up on Donald Thomas yet, but I'm done with Smiley. The guy still has issues from a shoulder injury back in 2007 and he's finished his first two seasons here on IR. I think we know where he'll be by the end of his third season.

sinPHIN
02-04-2010, 10:16 PM
If that was to happen, wouldn't we move Crowder to OLB? Somewhere I heard that is his natural position? I can't remember whether or not it is.
i actually started a thread saying maby we should try it. but he came into the league as an outside backer when we ran a 4-3. i dont think he is smart enough to be a mlb. he did pretty good at olb, but again that was in the 4-3 d.

X-Pacolypse
02-04-2010, 10:17 PM
I like a lot of the backs yu could probably have later in the Draft. Guys like Brandon Minor, Stafon Johnson, LeGarrette Blount, etc.

Ricky_Fan34
02-04-2010, 10:17 PM
I'm not ready to give up on Donald Thomas yet, but I'm done with Smiley. The guy still has issues from a shoulder injury back in 2007 and he's finished his first two seasons here on IR. I think we know where he'll be by the end of his third season.
I also think Berger and Garner are good players. It pays off to have an o-line coach as your head coach.

Ricky_Fan34
02-04-2010, 10:18 PM
I like a lot of the backs yu could probably have later in the Draft. Guys like Brandon Minor, Stafon Johnson, LeGarrette Blount, etc.
I like Blount a lot too. I feel like we need a speed guy who can return kicks though. McCluster and Spiller can both do that.

X-Pacolypse
02-04-2010, 10:21 PM
I also think Berger and Garner are good players. It pays off to have an o-line coach as your head coach.

Yes it does.

ry-dbar
02-04-2010, 10:22 PM
Is the old saying, "The best defense is a good offense" dead? If Spiller or Bryant are there at 12, we should take them and create an offense that can keep producing first downs. Moss and Welker (etc.) are worthless sitting on the sidelines. One exception is the Colts game i guess. Point is if we can get explosive play makers let's not pass em up. I'm all for Spikes in the 2nd though.

sinPHIN
02-04-2010, 10:22 PM
I like Blount a lot too. I feel like we need a speed guy who can return kicks though. McCluster and Spiller can both do that.
see thats why i dont want them b/c thats all i see them doing more mccluster than spiller. but only situational player nether are everydown backs. spiller has great potential but i just dont like the pick at twelve. just bc we have way bigger needs

X-Pacolypse
02-04-2010, 10:23 PM

I like McCluster as well, but if there's a bigger need on the board I don't want to neglect that. Miami REALLY needs to get younger and better at the LB position. I wouldn't be shocked if Miami devoted several draft picks on LB's.

sinPHIN
02-04-2010, 10:24 PM
i think best and blount are our best choice

sinPHIN
02-04-2010, 10:25 PM
i also have a bad feeling we will select mcCluster in the second considering our coaching staff coached him at the senior bowl. they were talking about him alot, about how much they liked him

Ricky_Fan34
see thats why i dont want them b/c thats all i see them doing more mccluster than spiller. but only situational player nether are everydown backs. spiller has great potential but i just dont like the pick at twelve. just bc we have way bigger needs
McCluster yes, Spiller no. I think Spiller is a more complete version of Reggie Bush.

X-Pacolypse

I like Jahvid Best as well. Great talent.

Ricky_Fan34
02-04-2010, 10:26 PM
Blount and who??

sinPHIN
02-04-2010, 10:27 PM
Blount and who??
jahvid best from cal

ColonelJ
02-04-2010, 10:29 PM
Those lines aren't even that great. Cowboys line is old, Broncos have Clady, and the Patriots line has really deteriorated since the superbowl in 07. Sure, they all have good lines, but I'd say at this point MIA's is better.

I was referring to Cowboys and Broncos of the 90s and Pats of the early 2000's. I think we must get better at guard. Why do you think we got Tsoumpas from the Canadian league. If you look at the roster they carry something like 5 or 6 rookie or young guards who they want to try out. They know they need to improve.

X-Pacolypse
Of course, the "drafting a RB" arguement may be moot if you're one of those folks who believes that Kory Sheets is the "next big thing." :D

Ricky_Fan34
I like McCluster as well, but if there's a bigger need on the board I don't want to neglect that. Miami REALLY needs to get younger and better at the LB position. I wouldn't be shocked if Miami devoted several draft picks on LB's.
I think we take a linebacker at 12, get a linebacker in FA, and take 2 in later rounds of the draft.

Ricky_Fan34
02-04-2010, 10:30 PM
Of course, the "drafting a RB" arguement may be moot if you're one of those folks who believes that Kory Sheets is the "next big thing."
:rolleyes2:

I like Sheets, but he's nothing special IMO.

sinPHIN
02-04-2010, 10:32 PM
I think we take a linebacker at 12, get a linebacker in FA, and take 2 in later rounds of the draft.
i think lb at 12 and another one later is the best choice. we have no middle to our d and cant cover a te for nothing.

Ricky_Fan34
02-04-2010, 10:32 PM
I was referring to Cowboys and Broncos of the 90s and Pats of the early 2000's. I think we must get better at guard. Why do you think we got Tsoumpas from the Canadian league. If you look at the roster they carry something like 5 or 6 rookie or young guards who they want to try out. They know they need to improve.
I'm not saying we can't improve, but for right now they are perfectly fine. Remember, every team has holes. Unfortunately, we have too many else where IMO to draft o-line. That's basically what we dedicated the 08 draft to.

sinPHIN
02-04-2010, 10:33 PM
:rolleyes2:

I like Sheets, but he's nothing special IMO.
sheets is good but how good we wont know untill he gets a shot. i think he is better than lex though. lex is a hard runner but has no vision

sinPHIN
02-04-2010, 10:34 PM
i wish noel devine was coming out.

ColonelJ
02-04-2010, 10:36 PM
I also don't like McCluster. He is a specialty player. It would be a reach IMO to take him just so that he can run the wildcat, or sweeps or kick returns. I struggled with this in my mind because he can be so explosive and is fast. But personally I don't want him. If he's available in the sixth then yes, take him.

sinPHIN
02-04-2010, 10:38 PM
if best wouldnt have got hurt he would of been the first rb selected in this draft and blount would have been in the first or second rounder so eether one would be a steal in later rounds. best in the second or third would be a major steal

Ricky_Fan34
02-04-2010, 10:40 PM
i think lb at 12 and another one later is the best choice. we have no middle to our d and cant cover a te for nothing.
I think getting Dansby would be huge. Rookies aren't a guarentee. Dansby in an essence is.

sinPHIN
02-04-2010, 10:46 PM
I think getting Dansby would be huge. Rookies aren't a guarentee. Dansby in an essence is.
i agree. but mclain is one of the smartest defensive players to come out in awhile. i think passing on mclain would be a huge mistake. remember passing on willis for ginn? im not saying he will be as good as willis but we cant pass on a top ilb again.

Ricky_Fan34
02-04-2010, 10:59 PM
i agree. but mclain is one of the smartest defensive players to come out in awhile. i think passing on mclain would be a huge mistake. remember passing on willis for ginn? im not saying he will be as good as willis but we cant pass on a top ilb again.
I think if we get Dansby in FA, then we will either go OLB or NT at #12.

j-off-her-doll
02-05-2010, 12:20 AM

1. Best and Spiller are about identical in size.
2. Spiller runs harder and better inside.
3. Spiller reminds me of a Chris Johnson with better receiving skills - hardly a WC/3rd down back.

Ricky_Fan34
02-05-2010, 12:36 AM
1. Best and Spiller are about identical in size.
2. Spiller runs harder and better inside.
3. Spiller reminds me of a Chris Johnson with better receiving skills - hardly a WC/3rd down back.
I think Spiller is the next Chris Johnson, which IMO is why passing on him might wind up being a mistake.

CedarPhin
02-05-2010, 12:43 AM
I wouldn't mind Ryan Mathews.

FinsFanatic777
02-05-2010, 12:46 AM
I think too many people have become disillusioned and spoiled by Chris Johnson's season... He had the best season for a RB in NFL history (in terms of yardage) and now everyone is comparing a back with blazing speed to be the next CJ... It's not going to happen IMO. I can't honestly remember a RB who tore up the league with speed like CJ this year, and it's not going to happen again.

Clipse
02-05-2010, 12:56 AM
RB's are a dime a dozen. You say defense is our Achilles heel and the reason we missed the playoffs, yet Spiller would take this team to a new level? How does that work out. Fixing the defense would take this team to the new level. Getting a WR who picks up YAC ala Demaryius Thomas would take this team to a new level. Spiller, not so much.

Clipse
02-05-2010, 12:58 AM
I think too many people have become disillusioned and spoiled by Chris Johnson's season... He had the best season for a RB in NFL history (in terms of yardage) and now everyone is comparing a back with blazing speed to be the next CJ... It's not going to happen IMO. I can't honestly remember a RB who tore up the league with speed like CJ this year, and it's not going to happen again.
This. If Chris Johnson didn't have such a great year, nobody would give a damn about Spiller. Just say no to a scat back in the first round because you think he's the next Chris Johnson, which he more than likely won't be. If you must have a scat back, there's 4 good ones in FA, and McCluster in the 2nd.

Marley7
02-05-2010, 01:02 AM
HOW COULD YOU NOT WANT THIS???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxkNT9IxEu8&feature=related

Hopefully we address our linebacker problems through FA!

state06
02-05-2010, 01:03 AM
This. If CJ didn't have such a great year, nobody would give a damn about Spiller. Just say no to a scat back in the first round because you think he's the next Chris Johnson, which he more than likely won't be. If you must have a scat back, there's 4 good ones in FA, and McCluster in the 2nd.

i think he is being compared to CJ based on skill set rather than because people think he is THE next CJ. spiller has all the tools to be a great RB in this league as he is more than just a scat back, with that said, ill gladly pass on him if Bryant/ McClain are available

Clipse
02-05-2010, 01:40 AM
i think he is being compared to CJ based on skill set rather than because people think he is THE next CJ. spiller has all the tools to be a great RB in this league as he is more than just a scat back, with that said, ill gladly pass on him if Bryant/ McClain are available
Similar skillset meaning great speed... Not seeing as close to being as good as Johnson. Maybe it's just me. Spiller is a lot like Reggie Bush too, just sayin'.

j-off-her-doll
02-05-2010, 01:40 AM
This. If CJ didn't have such a great year, nobody would give a damn about Spiller. Just say no to a scat back in the first round because you think he's the next Chris Johnson, which he more than likely won't be. If you must have a scat back, there's 4 good ones in FA, and McCluster in the 2nd.

Was Barry Sanders a "scat" back? Again, you haven't watched film on Spiller. You're just labeling him a "scat" back because he's fast, quick, and a great receiver. The problem with your ridiculous stance: Spiller runs great inside, and he breaks tackles. He's a complete RB. And, he'd add more to our offense than any player in the draft. I'd only draft one player ahead of C. J. Spiller: Berry. If you'd actually watch Spiller, you'd see a player with the potential to rush and receive for over 1,000 yards. He's a match up nightmare. Seriously, watch him and then watch McClain. If you spend 5 minutes with each, there's no way you leave thinking that McClain is a better football player than lil' ol' scat back Spiller.

j-off-her-doll
02-05-2010, 01:41 AM
Similar skillset meaning great speed... Not seeing as close to being as good as Johnson. Maybe it's just me. Spiller is a lot like Reggie Bush too, just sayin'.

Not at all like Bush.

Ricky_Fan34
02-05-2010, 09:53 AM
Spiller is just one of those guys that could provide a spark on offense. He can be a reciever, outside runner, inside runner, and have a huge impact on special teams. If spiller isn't there, the decision to draft defense should be easy. A number one reciever is so overated on this site... The most he'll touch the ball per game would be 10-15 times. Spillwer would touch the ball 20-40 times. If it comes down to a decision between spiller and Bryant, I would take spiller in a heartbeat.

finns13
02-05-2010, 01:46 PM
I would buy a #28 fins jersey today if it had Spiller on the back. I am bias because I have sat in death Valley for 4 years watching this kid, but I also am a realist and did not believe Phillip Merling would translate to the NFL game very well and was against the pick. Spiller plays hurt, fast and furious. Ginn will never return another kick if we have Spiller. Not even close. Aint no fear in #28.

Xeticus
02-05-2010, 10:44 PM
Honestly if we were to get a RB later on I'd want LeGarret Blount. That guy is a bruising power back and maybe we can get him in the 2nd or 3rd round. He's a beast.

Ricky_Fan34
02-08-2010, 09:22 PM
Honestly if we were to get a RB later on I'd want LeGarret Blount. That guy is a bruising power back and maybe we can get him in the 2nd or 3rd round. He's a beast.
We may be able to get Blount in the 4th or 5th. His stock really dropped after the incident in the Boise State game.

Astrosback
02-08-2010, 09:52 PM
We may be able to get Blount in the 4th or 5th. His stock really dropped after the incident in the Boise State game.

What did he do?

Ricky_Fan34
02-08-2010, 09:58 PM
What did he do?
Remember? Opening night I believe it was. He sucker punched that Boise State tight end. He was suspended for some time.

AllFinsAllDay
02-09-2010, 10:07 AM
Here's how it will play out.

Dansby in FA
1st Pick: Jared Odrick NT
2nd pick: Ricky Sapp OLB

I think you can switch that 2nd pick for the best OLB available.

That way the ILB NT and OLB is taken care of for a while.

*I'm really hoping for a steal of Wr in remaining rounds..somewhere

JRoX85
02-09-2010, 10:49 AM
we have a playmaker type of back in Patrick Cobbs who we should get back next year I am all for going for the sleeper in Toby Gerhardt. He will be a monster in this league for years to come, he has the speed to take it outside and has the bulk to run north to south. He is a human battering ram with quick feet and doesn't fumble. I just love how everyone overlooks this guy, and is all high an might on Spillers/Mcclusters nuts LOL.

Ricky_Fan34
02-09-2010, 12:43 PM
we have a playmaker type of back in Patrick Cobbs who we should get back next year I am all for going for the sleeper in Toby Gerhardt. He will be a monster in this league for years to come, he has the speed to take it outside and has the bulk to run north to south. He is a human battering ram with quick feet and doesn't fumble. I just love how everyone overlooks this guy, and is all high an might on Spillers/Mcclusters nuts LOL.
I don't really like McCluster. But I'd take him if he falls to round 4 or 5 somehow.

Danny
02-09-2010, 10:13 PM

his best position would be on the bench

Ozzy rules!!

nick1
02-11-2010, 01:03 PM
how about J.James from Miami? this kid has great vision and a good combo of power and speed. he will drop due to his injury issue and Craig Cooper stealing his lime light. dude is a solid RB could def start some day