PDA

View Full Version : The Pac 12?

CedarPhin
02-10-2010, 12:26 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/general/story/12905770/pac10-commish-conference-expansion-under-serious-evaluation

SAN FRANCISCO -- Pac-10 commissioner Larry Scott said Tuesday that the window for expansion by the conference is open for the next year as the conference begins negotiations for a new television deal.

Speaking on a conference call to introduce former Big 12 commissioner Kevin Weiberg as his new deputy, Scott talked about possibly adding new teams to the conference and launching a new television network.

Who do you see them adding? I'm thinking Colorado and Utah. BYU will never make it in because of UC-Berkeley and Stanford, and I think membership requires unanimous consent of all teams.

CedarPhin
02-10-2010, 12:29 AM
Plus, BYU won't play on Sundays, (an actual university policy) so that kind of screws them, since the Pac 10 plays alot of games on Sundays.

Gonzo
02-10-2010, 12:48 AM
I agree with Utah. I'll add Fresno State. I don't see Colorado giving up their Nebraska rivalry.

CedarPhin
02-10-2010, 12:51 AM
I agree with Utah. I'll add Fresno State. I don't see Colorado giving up their Nebraska rivalry.

Fresno State would be a good choice. Their academics are too awful though. I really can't see any of those UC schools giving their consent for a Fresno State add.

Gonzo
02-10-2010, 12:53 AM
Fresno State would be a good choice. Their academics are too awful though. I really can't see any of those UC schools giving their consent for a Fresno State add.
They let ASU stay...

(my alma mater :lol: )

CedarPhin
02-10-2010, 12:57 AM
They let ASU stay...

(my alma mater :lol: )

Truth. Fresno doesn't have the abundance of smoking hot chicks that ASU does though.

CedarPhin
02-10-2010, 12:59 AM
I could see the Pac 10 adding Hawaii. They're a ranked research school IIRC, and it would be a great recruiting tool for the other schools too, plus UH more often than not fields competitive teams in football, basketball (not the last few years), and baseball.

Gonzo
02-10-2010, 01:17 AM
I could see the Pac 10 adding Hawaii. They're a ranked research school IIRC, and it would be a great recruiting tool for the other schools too, plus UH more often than not fields competitive teams in football, basketball (not the last few years), and baseball.
Academically, it absolutely fits. The only problem is, would the other teams be willing to travel?

It's too bad they crack the Texas market. Texas Tech or TCU would be perfect. Wouldn't exactly be the Pacific-10 though, I suppose...

CedarPhin
02-10-2010, 01:20 AM
Academically, it absolutely fits. The only problem is, would the other teams be willing to travel?

It's too bad they crack the Texas market. Texas Tech or TCU would be perfect. Wouldn't exactly be the Pacific-10 though, I suppose...

They would get an extra game on the years they'd play out on the islands, which they could schedule a cupcake and get extra ticket revenue for, which is always a plus for any school.

The Pac 10 did try and get Texas at one point, so I'd suppose a Texas school wouldn't be out of the equation. Maybe Houston?

Gonzo
02-10-2010, 01:32 AM
They would get an extra game on the years they'd play out on the islands, which they could schedule a cupcake and get extra ticket revenue for, which is always a plus for any school.

The Pac 10 did try and get Texas at one point, so I'd suppose a Texas school wouldn't be out of the equation. Maybe Houston?Not that great academically. Both Fresno State and Hawaii have better business programs.

San Diego State deserves consideration too.

CedarPhin
02-10-2010, 01:35 AM
Not that great academically. Both Fresno State and Hawaii have better business programs.

San Diego State deserves consideration too.

I forgot about StDSU. They're in a great location and have fairly good facilities. Don't know much about their academics though. They are a Cal State school, so I think the UCs/Stanford would strike that down too.

Hawaii and Utah would be my two choices if I were running things for the Pac 10.

Joe from WY
02-10-2010, 02:07 AM
eyd sey Wyoming wuld bee a greet kantidete...lol...nawt unly du yu get a pls wht th laramie meedya merket...but th whool greet stat uf Wyoming tuu...lol

Gonzo
02-10-2010, 09:24 AM
eyd sey Wyoming wuld bee a greet kantidete...lol...nawt unly du yu get a pls wht th laramie meedya merket...but th whool greet stat uf Wyoming tuu...lol
Sorry Joey, but Idaho State clearly makes more sense given the Koetter/ASU connection and Pocatello's rivalry with Hawaii for the tourist dollar. A close second would be Colorado State, the greatest team in Mountain West history.

Rafiki
02-10-2010, 01:53 PM
I agree with Utah, but the second would be harder to find. BYU is rich enough, but like others have said they won't play on Sunday. Boise State and Fresno State probably don't fit academically and market-wise. Hawaii might fit, but their fans don't travel well (for obvious reasons) and would probably end up taking more of the pie than contributing.

However, the Pac 10 is known for taking all the major teams from a state (Oregon, Washington, California), so if I had to place a bet it would be on BYU and Utah.

CedarPhin
02-10-2010, 05:12 PM
I agree with Utah, but the second would be harder to find. BYU is rich enough, but like others have said they won't play on Sunday. Boise State and Fresno State probably don't fit academically and market-wise. Hawaii might fit, but their fans don't travel well (for obvious reasons) and would probably end up taking more of the pie than contributing.

However, the Pac 10 is known for taking all the major teams from a state (Oregon, Washington, California), so if I had to place a bet it would be on BYU and Utah.

There's more of a chance of hell freezing over than BYU being invited to join the Pac 10. They're not a research school, don't play on Sundays, and there is no way Berkeley or Stanford sign off on it.

Hawaii makes sense because it adds an extra game for whomever goes to play them out there, which = cupcake and high ticket revenues. Not to mention they're a big research school.

I'd say Utah and Hawaii. Utah and BYU still will schedule each other every year, so that's not going to be a problem.

Rafiki
02-10-2010, 08:08 PM
How is Wazzu as a research school? They're kind of an odd duck in the Pac-10.

*edit* Here's something interesting: Boise State wrestles in the Pac-10.

http://www.pac-10.org/sports/m-wrestl/recaps/030309aae.html

FULLERTON, Calif. - Boise State won its second straight Pac-10 Wrestling Championship with a dominant performance that sent seven wrestlers to the 2009 NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships in St. Louis. The Broncos claimed six individual Pac-10 championships and one-second place qualifying bid in Monday’s championship round finals at Titan Gym.

X-Pacolypse
02-10-2010, 09:09 PM
SDSU and Hawaii would be the best fits.

CedarPhin
02-11-2010, 03:47 AM
From what I understand, Utah will be one of the teams.

I don't know who the other one will be though.

X-Pacolypse
02-11-2010, 04:59 PM
From what I understand, Utah will be one of the teams.

I don't know who the other one will be though.

I can live with Utah, but I really would like too see Hawaii or SDSU get the remaining spot.

ChambersWI
02-11-2010, 06:56 PM
San Diego State should be up there. It fits a lot of the requirements and the school is interested in going to a major conference.

CedarPhin
02-11-2010, 07:33 PM
San Diego State should be up there. It fits a lot of the requirements and the school is interested in going to a major conference.

It'll be a cold day in hell before those UC schools let a CSU school in. SDSU would make alot of sense though. Great destination, nice facilities, etc.

Hawaii would be my choice. They're a top research school, schools playing out there would get ticket revenues on the extra games they'd get at home (likely against D1-AA schools), and it's a great recruiting tool, as not only do you get to point out to recruits that you get to play out in Hawaii, but there are plenty of good players out there that you could get your foot in the door with.

Joe from WY
02-16-2010, 02:58 PM
I can live with Utah, but I really would like too see Hawaii or SDSU get the remaining spot.

wyoming cowpokes fellr...lol

Joe from WY
02-16-2010, 03:00 PM
Sorry Joey, but Idaho State clearly makes more sense given the Koetter/ASU connection and Pocatello's rivalry with Hawaii for the tourist dollar. A close second would be Colorado State, the greatest team in Mountain West history.

fllr...eye knt evn seee haow u ken kall th laams "greet"...lol...turrbl teem en a turrbl toawn...lol...thear heero sunny lubak was jus a seeenyle ul jizzmoper...lol