PDA

View Full Version : Darrington Hobson

NMPhinsFan
02-14-2010, 12:51 AM
Most of you probably don't know who he is but he's a freak on the basketball court. He plays for the #19 New Mexico Lobos and is in his first year of D-1 basketball(JUCO transfer), check out the numbers he is putting up... 15.6 ppg 8.7 rpg 4.3 apg 1.3 spg. He had a rough go shooting the ball tonight at Utah(1-10) but he still managed 8 points 11 assits and 10 rebounds.

I've seen him compared to a shorter Michael Beasley.

Hopefully he can follow Danny Granger and JR Giddens of recent years and be the next Lobo drafted in the first round whenever he decides to come out.

NMPhinsFan
02-18-2010, 06:20 AM
Dropped 20 points 10 rebounds and 6 assits on Wyoming last night.

Moves New Mexico to 24-3.

CedarPhin
02-23-2010, 06:03 AM
Joe R's not going to be happy.

Oraclepz
02-23-2010, 06:53 PM
Most of you probably don't know who he is but he's a freak on the basketball court. He plays for the #19 New Mexico Lobos and is in his first year of D-1 basketball(JUCO transfer), check out the numbers he is putting up... 15.6 ppg 8.7 rpg 4.3 apg 1.3 spg. He had a rough go shooting the ball tonight at Utah(1-10) but he still managed 8 points 11 assits and 10 rebounds.

I've seen him compared to a shorter Michael Beasley.

Hopefully he can follow Danny Granger and JR Giddens of recent years and be the next Lobo drafted in the first round whenever he decides to come out.

Do you go to New Mexico??? Because your pimpin that program lol.. not that theres anything wrong with that...ill keep an eye out for this kid..

NMPhinsFan
02-24-2010, 12:52 AM
Nope but I grew up there from 12-20 so I'm a huge fan of them. I'm thinking of moving back, miss it alot. Much more easy going than Florida.

NMPhinsFan
02-24-2010, 01:16 AM
Mr. Hobson had 15 points 10 rebounds 3 assits and 3 steals in a win over Colorado State tonight.

The big 4 of Hobson, Roman Martinez, Phillip McDonald, and Dairese Gary scored 65 of our 72 points.

Saturday: #12 UNM @ #11 BYU winner most likely is the Mountain West regular season champion.

CedarPhin
02-27-2010, 07:12 PM
Nice win for the Lobos today.

NMPhinsFan
02-27-2010, 08:00 PM
Heck yeah that was, what a battle. BYU came out guns blazing in the second half but UNM pulled it off in the end.

Darrington Hobson with 20 points 14 rebounds and 4 assits including a sick block with 0.09 seconds left to keep the game out of overtime that will be on the SC top 10 tonight.

He's a hell of a player, I'm a huge fan of his but he is a bit of a headcase. Every couple of games or so he tries to pick a fight with an opposing player. A couple of times I've seen him throw a elbow into the gut of another teams player as he was walking to the free throw line. Against UNLV he threw a punch at one of their players but the refs couldn't see if it landed or not on the review so they gave him a warning. He needs to mature quite a bit.

Anyways, 27-3 and 6-0 against top 25 teams.

What a season!

Locke
02-27-2010, 08:19 PM
Beat a sub-par TCU and we win the MWC. This has been a long time coming. Hopefully we make some noise in the tournament...

CedarPhin
02-28-2010, 01:38 AM
New Mexico has the potential to be a Sweet 16 team. Be on the lookout for UTEP too.

CedarPhin
02-28-2010, 01:48 AM
Speaking of Hobson, what was the deal between him and Tavernari today?

CedarPhin
02-28-2010, 01:50 AM
I saw the BYU fans throwing stuff on the court after the game. Pretty classless move.

Locke
02-28-2010, 04:35 AM
I saw the BYU fans throwing stuff on the court after the game. Pretty classless move.

Classless isn't the half of it. Tavernari followed Alford after the game, talking sh*t to him and trying to instigate something. Alford called him an assh*le at the end, which he shouldn't have done, but still classless behavior from BYU all around. They've pretty much owned the conference the last few seasons, so I guess they don't know how to handle being dethroned.

http://www.youtube.com/user/lobobasketball2010

The thing with Hobson was he apparently threw an elbow at some point in the last few minutes of the game that never got called. Hobson is a hothead, so I'm sure it was true. Officiating was spotty all game long though...

CedarPhin
02-28-2010, 04:39 AM
Classless isn't the half of it. Tavernari followed Alford after the game, talking sh*t to him and trying to instigate something. Alford called him an assh*le at the end, which he shouldn't have done, but still classless behavior from BYU all around. They've pretty much owned the conference the last few seasons, so I guess they don't know how to handle being dethroned.

http://www.youtube.com/user/lobobasketball2010

The thing with Hobson was he apparently threw an elbow at some point in the last few minutes of the game that never got called. Hobson is a hothead, so I'm sure it was true. Officiating was spotty all game long though...

Thanks for the info. I was wondering what happened. I saw the bit on ESPN, but they didn't elaborate a whole lot, just that Tavernari got pissed in the handshake line.

Hobson hit him with an elbow when he was turning around to call a TO, but I don't think that it was intentional.

CedarPhin
02-28-2010, 04:41 AM
BYU's a one and done team in the tourney. They just don't have the athleticism to match up with most teams. UNM and UNLV are better squads.

SDSU is behind all 3, but I think it's possible for all 4 to make it into the NCAAs this year.

CedarPhin
02-28-2010, 04:45 AM
I think New Mexico State will end up winning the WAC, and I think UTEP will end up being a Sweet 16 team, they're really really underrated, especially with Caracter and Culpepper.

CedarPhin
02-28-2010, 04:45 AM
Sorry to hijack your thread a bit NMPhins.

Locke
02-28-2010, 04:49 AM
BYU's a one and done team in the tourney. They just don't have the athleticism to match up with most teams. UNM and UNLV are better squads.

SDSU is behind all 3, but I think it's possible for all 4 to make it into the NCAAs this year.

Agreed. UNLV is a really good squad that no one hears about since UNM and BYU get all the attention. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they upset UNM or BYU in the MWC tournament.

BYU, away from Provo, is a very beatable team. SDSU is decent, but I don't think they make the tournament. Overall, a pretty good showing from the MWC this season. Maybe we'll start getting some respect. If this win doesn't bump the Lobos up to the 5-8 range, there is definitely some bias...

CedarPhin
02-28-2010, 04:54 AM
Agreed. UNLV is a really good squad that no one hears about since UNM and BYU get all the attention. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they upset UNM or BYU in the MWC tournament.

BYU, away from Provo, is a very beatable team. SDSU is decent, but I don't think they make the tournament. Overall, a pretty good showing from the MWC this season. Maybe we'll start getting some respect. If this win doesn't bump the Lobos up to the 5-8 range, there is definitely some bias...

UNLV should win their tourney this year. Last year, they were in a complete freefall and lost in like the first round. They just have to watch out for SDSU, who seems to have their number this year, ditto for Utah. Sure, they're 3rd in the conference, but they always get up for that MWC tourney, since it's pretty much a home game.

BYU doesn't win away from Provo because they don't have the refs on their side. Of course, they don't really play any real tough teams up there OOC, so they can always rack up long conference winning streaks.

The Lobos I think could end up with a 4 or 5 seed, depending on how they do in the MWC tourney. Alford's done a hell of a job with that team. They've had some nice wins this year, and are on a hot streak right now.

CedarPhin
02-28-2010, 04:57 AM
Take it for what it's worth, but Joe Lunardi has UNM as a 3 seed in his latest Bracketology.

NMPhinsFan
02-28-2010, 09:34 AM
The crazy thing is UNM was picked to finish 5th in the Mountain West this year and is the 3rd youngest team in the country. We have just one senior and two juniors on the roster.

Roman Martinez(the only senior) is the heart and soul of this team but we could be even better next year. We have 6'10 Alex Kirk(#6 ranked center) coming in along with Tony Snell a 6'7 wing and UCLA transfer Drew Gordon who can be cleared to play in the second semester.

CedarPhin
02-28-2010, 05:10 PM
Alford's done a hell of a job there this year.

JohnBeckHOF
03-02-2010, 02:58 AM
Alford's done a hell of a job there this year.

He's a thug. I watched his expletive-laden tirade after the game Saturday against a classy young man in John Tavernari; That game should have an asterisk next to it due to Jimmer having a stomach bug and not playing in the 2nd half. He plays, and we win by 10. Easily.

I can't wait to get the Loblows in the MWC Tourney. It's revenge time, and will just be gravy onto what will be at the very least an Elite 8 run this season.

Locke
03-02-2010, 03:25 AM
He's a thug. I watched his expletive-laden tirade after the game Saturday against a classy young man in John Tavernari; That game should have an asterisk next to it due to Jimmer having a stomach bug and not playing in the 2nd half. He plays, and we win by 10. Easily.

I can't wait to get the Loblows in the MWC Tourney. It's revenge time, and will just be gravy onto what will be at the very least an Elite 8 run this season.

Oh yes, a classy young man. So classy he refuses to accept Hobson's apology after the elbow. So classy he follows Alford during the postgame handshake, yelling at him. Lets not forget about the classy fans throwing trash at any Lobos on the court. Yup, BYU is all about class.

I find your assertion that Jimmer was the reason you lost interesting though. I mean, he played the entire game at The Pit, but you guys still lost. Oh, and when he played the entire first half, UNM was up by 8. The entire second half, which was extremely close, was played without Jimmer. Yeah, that HAS to be the reason BYU lost. BYU fans have to be the whiniest fans in the country.

Away from Provo, you all are average at best. On a neutral court, UNLV will knock you out of the MWC tournament. You won't play UNM again this season. Oh, and Elite 8? :lol: You guys will be one and done, yet again. I hope you enjoyed your reign at the top. The Mountain West belongs to UNM now...

JohnBeckHOF
03-02-2010, 03:34 AM
Oh yes, a classy young man. So classy he refuses to accept Hobson's apology after the elbow. So classy he follows Alford during the postgame handshake, yelling at him. Lets not forget about the classy fans throwing trash at any Lobos on the court. Yup, BYU is all about class.

Tavernari went with Tom Holmoe, the AD to the UNM locker room to apologize for being out of hand earlier. That takes class, more than Alford has. Alford was sure setting a heck of an example for the young men (thugs) on his team by yelling obscenities at Tavernari and others.

I find your assertion that Jimmer was the reason you lost interesting though. I mean, he played the entire game at The Pit, but you guys still lost. Oh, and when he played the entire first half, UNM was up by 8. The entire second half, which was extremely close, was played without Jimmer. Yeah, that HAS to be the reason BYU lost. BYU fans have to be the whiniest fans in the country.
Truthfully the team had an off night. It's hard to get up for an average team like UNM, and it bit them. UNM was shooting lights-out, we couldn't hit a lick at the end. Of course, it was still close despite this, and that blatant no-call of a "block" at the end just proved the refs had it in the bag for New Mexico.
Whiniest? Hardly. It's hard to accept losing to a mediocre UNM team when you're used to being a big dog of the college sports world. Maybe some day UNM will get to Our level. Maybe not.

Away from Provo, you all are average at best. On a neutral court, UNLV will knock you out of the MWC tournament. You won't play UNM again this season. Oh, and Elite 8? :lol: You guys will be one and done, yet again. I hope you enjoyed your reign at the top. The Mountain West belongs to UNM now...
We'll beat up UNM in the final on our way to a probable Final Four run. When you're back in ABQ sobbing about a first round loss to Weber State, we'll be taking in some great wins. We'll let you know how the top is, Loblows.

Possum
03-02-2010, 03:35 AM
I think New Mexico State will end up winning the WAC, and I think UTEP will end up being a Sweet 16 team, they're really really underrated, especially with Caracter and Culpepper.
Culpepper is something special. watched him a couple times when they came to orlando. apart from memphis other c-usa teams never really get any mention. utep in and uab maybe if they can when the cusa tourney.

JohnBeckHOF
03-02-2010, 03:36 AM
Tav apologized. What about Hobson's lobbing fbombs around? Do you approve? Seeing how the Loblows idolize the Snake, I don't suppose you think that Hobson did anything wrong.

CedarPhin
03-02-2010, 03:37 AM
Culpepper is something special. watched him a couple times when they came to orlando. apart from memphis other c-usa teams never really get any mention. utep in and uab maybe if they can when the cusa tourney.

I watched them completely take apart Tulsa one night. They killed them inside and outside.

That night, I was sold on them as a Sweet 16 team.

Possum
03-02-2010, 03:41 AM
I watched them completely take apart Tulsa one night. They killed them inside and outside.

That night, I was sold on them as a Sweet 16 team.
with memphis in free fall other teams get a shot now. for the past few years nobody other then memphis would get into the tourney.

CedarPhin
03-02-2010, 03:42 AM
with memphis in free fall other teams get a shot now. for the past few years nobody other then memphis would get into the tourney.

I think UTEP and UAB will make it out of there this year. Watch out for Memphis next season though, they're going to be loaded.

CedarPhin
03-02-2010, 03:45 AM
Caracter is crazy-good too. Not only can he rip teams apart down-low, but he can shoot outside as well.

NMPhinsFan
03-02-2010, 01:40 PM
Truthfully the team had an off night. It's hard to get up for an average team like UNM, and it bit them. UNM was shooting lights-out, we couldn't hit a lick at the end. Of course, it was still close despite this, and that blatant no-call of a "block" at the end just proved the refs had it in the bag for New Mexico.
Whiniest? Hardly. It's hard to accept losing to a mediocre UNM team when you're used to being a big dog of the college sports world. Maybe some day UNM will get to Our level. Maybe not.

We'll beat up UNM in the final on our way to a probable Final Four run. When you're back in ABQ sobbing about a first round loss to Weber State, we'll be taking in some great wins. We'll let you know how the top is, Loblows.

Really? Is that what you're going to come with? How the 10th ranked team is mediocre? A team that is 6-0 against top 25 teams? A team that has set a conference record for 13 straight wins? A team that has beat BYU in both their meetings this season? Tell me something, what does that make BYU?

That Hobson block was a foul? Funny how the broadcasters calling the game said nothing about it, also funny how ESPN showed that highlight all night long and no one uttered the words "Oh that was a obvious hack!". I believe one analyst even called it the block of the year. But I'm sure you'd be calling it clean if he had a BYU jersey on.

You have to get out of the first round before reaching the final four. Best of luck to BYU finding their way out of that paper bag.

CedarPhin
03-03-2010, 06:24 AM
Congrats to UTEP, champions of C-USA.

Secondly, the latest Bracketology has New Mexico as a 2 seed out West, and BYU as a 4 seed. Has UNLV an 8 seed against Marquette, and SDSU as a 13 seed. So 4 teams for the MWC.
:woot:

NMPhinsFan
03-03-2010, 11:59 PM
20 points 14 rebounds 7 assits tonight against TCU.

Go into the Mountain West tourney 28-3(14-2).

NMPhinsFan
03-08-2010, 06:44 PM
Steve Alford has been named Mountain West Coach of The Year for the second straight year.

Hobson has been named Mountain West Player of The Year and Newcomer of The Year.

Dairese Gary and Hobson named First-Team MWC.

Roman Martinez named Second-Team MWC.

Dairese Gary named to the All-Defensive Team.

Phillip McDonald Honorable Mention All-MWC.

UNM cleaned up on awards.

CedarPhin
03-09-2010, 04:11 AM
I wonder if Oregon will throw the kitchen sink at Alford now that they've gotten rid of Kent. Certainly have the money to do so.

NMPhinsFan
03-09-2010, 05:19 PM
I wonder if Oregon will throw the kitchen sink at Alford now that they've gotten rid of Kent. Certainly have the money to do so.

I hope not but if he did decide to leave I wouldn't be mad at him at all.

I think he'll end up staying though. He has a great working relationship with the AD at UNM and is (I believe) making over a million a year. The Pit is one of the best sporting venues in college basketball and is currently going through a 60 million dollar renovation. Not to mention Albuquerque is a basketball crazed city. Going to see them play is the thing to do.

He's got UNM in the top 10 and is getting All-American type players to sign there. If he left for another program he would be a Lobo legend for the rest of his life but I don't think it's happening.

CedarPhin
03-09-2010, 05:24 PM
Oregon's moving into a brand new arena next year, so they're going to want to make a splash.

I don't know if Alford will be their target, but I think they'll go for a big name.

Joe from WY
03-10-2010, 03:03 PM
watchu fellrs gonna sey whn th Cowpies beet noo Messiko en th MWC Turrnament?...lol

NMPhinsFan
03-10-2010, 06:28 PM
Haha lets see if you make it pass Air Force tonight.

Joe from WY
03-12-2010, 11:56 PM
sn deeyeago stete...lol...wut hppend tu tha loooboos?...lol

JohnBeckHOF
03-13-2010, 12:06 AM
HAHAHAHA!

New Mexico going to make a run? Yeah RIGHT!
You can't even beat SDSU. Too funny.

We're on the road to the Final Four; you're on the road to a one and done.

NMPhinsFan
03-13-2010, 12:26 AM
sn deeyeago stete...lol...wut hppend tu tha loooboos?...lol

San Diego State has had our number this season. They are loaded with posts players while we only have two. We played like crap at the start of the game but managed to work our way back into it and had a chance to win it in the end.

I didn't think we'd win tonight, we barely beat them at The Pit.

Could be worse, we could of lost the play-in game...

Joe from WY
03-13-2010, 12:35 AM
San Diego State has had our number this season. They are loaded with posts players while we only have two. We played like crap at the start of the game but managed to work our way back into it and had a chance to win it in the end.

I didn't think we'd win tonight, we barely beat them at The Pit.

Could be worse, we could of lost the play-in game...

weeelllll fellr...eyf sed thy werrr mor lyke cowpies thn cowpokes ths yeer...no ekspektashuns herr...lol...looobooos bleuu et...lol

NMPhinsFan
03-13-2010, 12:41 AM
HAHAHAHA!

New Mexico going to make a run? Yeah RIGHT!
You can't even beat SDSU. Too funny.

We're on the road to the Final Four; you're on the road to a one and done.

Love when people talk trash about a team when the team they are bad mouthing owns their team.

Just be glad you won't play UNM if a miracle happens and you make it pass UNLV.

NMPhinsFan
03-20-2010, 10:03 PM
Tough game tonight for the Lobos, I thought we would be able to play with Washington but they where just too fast for our guys. They owned us from start to finish.

Still a heck of a season for UNM. The big question now is will Hobson stay for his senior season? Personally I think he is gone. Just about everybody has him as a first rounder with a chance at the lottery so I couldn't blame him if he declared for the draft. He did cry for two hours when he finally got to UNM after attending 5 high schools and JUCO so who knows.

If he decides to stay we will dominate the MWC again. We'd be able to move 6-8 AJ Hardeman to PF and have stud recruit 6-10 Alex Kirk play center. That team would be incredibly fun to watch.

CedarPhin
03-21-2010, 04:28 AM
None of the MWC schools are good off of their home courts.

NMPhinsFan
03-21-2010, 09:33 AM
New Mexico was 13-4 on a road/neutral court this season.

CedarPhin
03-21-2010, 04:31 PM
Who'd they beat though? UNLV? BYU? TCU? Wyoming? It's not just New Mexico, it's the whole conference as a general. They play lights out at home, but on the road, not so much.

Locke
03-21-2010, 07:35 PM
I knew we were done when Hobson injured his wrist. If you watched the Huskies/Lobos game, he was afraid to even take a shot. It threw off our whole rhythm. No excuses, we got beat by a better team. Its hard not to wonder how we could have done otherwise though...

NMPhinsFan
03-21-2010, 08:51 PM
Who'd they beat though? UNLV? BYU? TCU? Wyoming? It's not just New Mexico, it's the whole conference as a general. They play lights out at home, but on the road, not so much.

We did beat Texas A&M in Houston but I get what you're saying.

Joe from WY
03-21-2010, 11:09 PM
buth uf yur teems arr terrbl...lol

Joe from WY
03-21-2010, 11:11 PM
raggie myllr tulks noo Messiko turrnment...lol

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

NMPhinsFan
03-30-2010, 02:30 AM
Hobson was named Third Team All-American today.

:knee: