PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone want to discuss Baseball?

Mako
03-09-2002, 02:18 PM
I know this is off topic and is probably going to get moved, but I was wondering if anyone in here is as big of a baseball fan as I am? I'm really looking forward to seeing how this season goes. Hopefully the labor disputes don't cause another strike, and here's hoping Jeff Loria works more for Miami and the Marlins than Boneheaded Previous Owner John Henry did.

inFINSible
03-09-2002, 03:20 PM
You mean the boneheaded owner of my favorite team, the Red Sox?:fire: ;)
As with football, I'm a narrow minded fan, if it doesn't have something to do with MY team, I really don't care, unless it's on fire. So, I'm really not informed enough on the labor dispute to say much about it. Sorry.
I do want to say that I am looking forward to this season with much greater hope than ever before as a Boston fan, much like the Dolphins(does that keep this thread in the Dolphin talk section?), the Red Sox seem to have made all the right moves in the offseason and look like strong contenders. The Yanks are strong but long in the tooth. They have also lost some key players to retirement and FAcy so they are going to be a different team at least. I know they'll just reload, but at least there is a chink in the armor.
Hey it's spring training, this is the traditional time of year for the Red Sox to think about winning the World Series.
I don't think I could live past this year if the Sox win the Series and the Fins win the Super Bowl. Why live? It couldn't get any better.

iceblizzard69
03-09-2002, 03:34 PM
Yeah I am a huge Mariners fan and as you can tell by my avatar I am a Mariners fan. I love to see the Yankees lose by the way.

phinsphan4ever
03-09-2002, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by inFINSible
You mean the boneheaded owner of my favorite team, the Red Sox?:fire: ;)
As with football, I'm a narrow minded fan, if it doesn't have something to do with MY team, I really don't care, unless it's on fire. So, I'm really not informed enough on the labor dispute to say much about it. Sorry.
I do want to say that I am looking forward to this season with much greater hope than ever before as a Boston fan, much like the Dolphins(does that keep this thread in the Dolphin talk section?), the Red Sox seem to have made all the right moves in the offseason and look like strong contenders. The Yanks are strong but long in the tooth. They have also lost some key players to retirement and FAcy so they are going to be a different team at least. I know they'll just reload, but at least there is a chink in the armor.
Hey it's spring training, this is the traditional time of year for the Red Sox to think about winning the World Series.
I don't think I could live past this year if the Sox win the Series and the Fins win the Super Bowl. Why live? It couldn't get any better.

If any team deserves a world series championship, it's the Red Sox. I'm a Braves fan personally, and I even want a salary cap put in place to give every team in baseball a fair chance to win. I hate the Yankees with a passion and hate the fact that they can just buy a ring year after year!:fire: I hope the Sox will take the AL championship though.;)

inFINSible
03-09-2002, 04:07 PM
Dude, with a lineup of Johnny Damon Leading off, followed by last years' team MVP, Trot Nixon, Nomar batting Third, Manny at clean up, Tony Clark fifth, Varitek 6th,Shea Hillenbrand 7th Brian Daubach at DH, and Offerman, Baerga, or Rey Sanchez ninth, and rickey Henderson, Doug Mirabelli, and two of the three second basemen i mentioned coming offf the bench, this team is loaded on offense.
I could get into the defense and pitching too but trust me when I tell you that we are improved there as well.
I am just as psyched about the Red Sox as I am the Fins.
Go Red Sox!
Go Dolphins!

B.Sebo
03-09-2002, 04:17 PM
CARDINALS IN 2002

miadphan13
03-09-2002, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by aqua&orange54
I even want a salary cap put in place to give every team in baseball a fair chance to win. I hate the Yankees with a passion and hate the fact that they can just buy a ring year after year!:fire:

I TOTALLY agree!! :mad: I'm a Marlin fan since the beginning, but honestly, baseball is my 4th favorite sport. :)

mike_vee
03-09-2002, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by miadphan13

I TOTALLY agree!! :mad: I'm a Marlin fan since the beginning, but honestly, baseball is my 4th favorite sport. :) what's 2nd & 3rd favorite ?

miadphan13
03-09-2002, 04:48 PM
Hey Mike....

1) Football: Dolphins
2) Basketball: Orlando Magic
3) Hockey: Pittsburgh Penguins
4) Baseball: Marlins

:D

Mako
03-09-2002, 04:54 PM
Dude, with a lineup of Johnny Damon Leading off, followed by last years' team MVP, Trot Nixon, Nomar batting Third, Manny at clean up, Tony Clark fifth, Varitek 6th,Shea Hillenbrand 7th Brian Daubach at DH, and Offerman, Baerga, or Rey Sanchez ninth, and rickey Henderson, Doug Mirabelli, and two of the three second basemen i mentioned coming offf the bench, this team is loaded on offense.
I could get into the defense and pitching too but trust me when I tell you that we are improved there as well.
I am just as psyched about the Red Sox as I am the Fins.
Go Red Sox!
Go Dolphins!

Dustin Hermanson and Burkett were solid additions too. Hopefully Pedro is back at 100 percent, but at even 80 percent he's better than most of the pitchers in baseball. Boston could easily challenge the Yankees this year (I hate em too..). Even though they added every free agent in site (Giambi, Rondell White), they lost some quality players in O Neill and Tino.

Anyone here do the fantasy baseball thing?

Dolfan984
03-09-2002, 04:56 PM
My friend almost got in a fight with Paul O'Neil last year at the A's game. It was hilarious. It's sad when a fan can get into a players head.

Mako
03-09-2002, 04:59 PM
Who do you forsee the Red Sox getting as their new manager? I know they were high on Ken Macha of Oakland, but the A's management said they would not let him speak to the Sox. I know Grady Little is up there on the list, but would like to see the Sox get Felipe Alou as their manager. I think if he could work wonders with Boston.

mike_vee
03-09-2002, 05:08 PM
Hey Mike....

:D good teams except maybe hockey :rolleyes:
for me its :
1) football : DOLFINS
2) hockey : Canadiens even though they suck right now
3) baseball : Expos even though they always get raw deals
4) basketball : Heat

inFINSible
03-09-2002, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Dolphins13Fan

Dustin Hermanson and Burkett were solid additions too. Hopefully Pedro is back at 100 percent, but at even 80 percent he's better than most of the pitchers in baseball. Boston could easily challenge the Yankees this year (I hate em too..). Even though they added every free agent in site (Giambi, Rondell White), they lost some quality players in O Neill and Tino.

Anyone here do the fantasy baseball thing?

Pedro's own words, "I have never felt better" After coming to camp in the best shape of his carreer including 20 lbs more of muscle, it looks like the American league will lose to the Red Sox every fifth game for sure. And you're right, Burkett has looked good so far and only had a 3.04 ERA last year with the Braves and seems to be one of those pitchers that is getting better with age. He's turning into a poor man's Greg maddux, Hermanson, Lowe (converted closer), Castilla, Oliver and Arroyo will round out the rotation and provide excellent bull pen help to Wakefield Garces, fossum, and the closer Urbina. I'm telling you it looks like we could go all the way this year.

Go Dolphins!!;)

inFINSible
03-09-2002, 05:17 PM
My two other favorite teams are The Sixers and the Flyers.....it's entirely possible that all four of MY teams could win a title this year!:p :lol:

Mako
03-09-2002, 05:17 PM
Hey Mike....

:D

Great Choice in Hockey (Even though I don't follow it too much) Baseball and Football Teams (Well No Surprise there). My teams in Baseball are the Phillies (Grew Up Around the Phillies, played 3 times as a Little League All Star at Vets), and the Marlins. My team in Basketball is the Sixers.

inFINSible
03-09-2002, 05:20 PM
Who do you forsee the Red Sox getting as their new manager? I know they were high on Ken Macha of Oakland, but the A's management said they would not let him speak to the Sox. I know Grady Little is up there on the list, but would like to see the Sox get Felipe Alou as their manager. I think if he could work wonders with Boston.

I think Grady Little is the front runner, they interviewed felipe today, but at 66 yo he is not a long term answer which could be the only reason he doesn't get the job, especially since he is like a father figure to Pedro. I haven't heard much about Macha.

Oh yea, Go Dolphins!!!

Mako
03-09-2002, 05:31 PM
My two other favorite teams are The Sixers and the Flyers.....it's entirely possible that all four of MY teams could win a title this year!:p :lol:

I can only hope the Sixers win the NBA Title. The Eastern Conference is weak as hell so its not entirely off base to possibly see the Sixers make the finals and possibly face the Lakers again. They have to get some more scoring though. AI can only do so much on his own. Harpring has been solid for the most part, averaging about 10 ppg. McKie was great at adding some punch to the offense last year but has been hurt most of the season. Deke has been defensively solid as usual.

Mako
03-09-2002, 05:35 PM

I think Grady Little is the front runner, they interviewed felipe today, but at 66 yo he is not a long term answer which could be the only reason he doesn't get the job, especially since he is like a father figure to Pedro. I haven't heard much about Macha.

Oh yea, Go Dolphins!!!

Grady would be a great choice for the Sox. He isn't a high profile manager like Showwalter/ Alou/ Davey Johnson (Who also are available for the Sox) but I think would be a perfect fit. He has ties to Boston too, was a bench coach for them at one point.

miadphan13
03-09-2002, 05:41 PM
Just to let all you Pennsylvania guys know, the reason I like the Penguins ( Mario and Jagr :cry: ), Steelers (I met Jason Gildon in Pitt) and even at one time the Pirates (Bonds, Van Slyke, Bonilla & "spanky") was because of my ex-husband. He was from Washington (outside Pittsburgh) and moved down here at 11, then fell in love with Marino & the Fins. I moved from the Pirates to the Marlins because they are the "home" team and because Jim Leyland eventually became the head coach. :D Also for RHoff, the ex is also a HUGE Penn State (Piterno) fan. :) I still cheer for his teams since 1991 because they grew on me.

Cranx
03-09-2002, 05:59 PM
Favorite Sports:

1)Football- Dolphins
2)NASCAR- Dale Jarrett
3)Hockey- Avs
4)Basketball- Lakers
#5 through 10,000,000,000: anything that's not baseball.:evil:

WOULD ONE OF OUR LOVELY MODERATORS BE SO KIND AS TO MOVE THIS OFF THE DOLPHINS MESSAGE BOARD PLEASE. THANKS :sleep:

QuebecFinsFan
03-09-2002, 06:09 PM
like Mike_vee, i'm a Expos fan and you guys in south Florida have an asshole in Jeffrey Loria...:yell:

I like the Marlins too since you traded for Cliff Floyd (never should have give up on him in Montreal...:fire: )

Football: FINS
Hockey: Philadelphia Flyers
Basket: The Dynastie...LA Clips :lol: ...They're a year away off their 1st playoff appearance in years!!!

inFINSible
03-09-2002, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Expo88
Favorite Sports:

1)Football- Dolphins
2)NASCAR- Dale Jarrett
3)Hockey- Avs
4)Basketball- Lakers
#5 through 10,000,000,000: anything that's not baseball.:evil:

WOULD ONE OF OUR LOVELY MODERATORS BE SO KIND AS TO MOVE THIS OFF THE DOLPHINS MESSAGE BOARD PLEASE. THANKS :sleep:

Go Dolphins!!!(there, that makes it Dolphin chat) :p

;)

baccarat
03-09-2002, 07:25 PM
I know this is off topic and is probably going to get moved, but I was wondering if anyone in here is as big of a baseball fan as I am?

Baseball is my favorite sport. I've liked the Jays since the early 90s, but recently I've became a fan of the Rangers. I have seen about 8 Rangers games, and the Ballpark in Arlington is a beautiful stadium. Plus they have a hell of a lineup, but a crappy bullpen. I also love old school baseball. I wish I could have seen the years of Nap Lajoie, Cobb, Walter Johnson, and other greats of baseball's past.

baccarat
03-09-2002, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Dolfan984
My friend almost got in a fight with Paul O'Neil last year at the A's game. It was hilarious. It's sad when a fan can get into a players head.

One time Johnny Bench started yelling at my father, now that was hilarious!

Predaphin
03-09-2002, 08:15 PM
Nope!:rolleyes:

Frank-n-Furter
03-09-2002, 08:20 PM
Football: duh, why else am I here?:goof:
College Football: Canes
Basketball: Orlando Magic
Hockey: don't know the rules but am willing to learn
Baseball: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzhuh? :cool:

iceblizzard69
03-09-2002, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by mike_vee
good teams except maybe hockey :rolleyes:
for me its :
1) football : DOLFINS
2) hockey : Canadiens even though they suck right now
3) baseball : Expos even though they always get raw deals
4) basketball : Heat

Expos :eek: you must be the first.

dolphan39
03-09-2002, 11:20 PM
Why bother ???? the Yanks had the WS locked up as soon as they got Giambi, Karsay and Wells.

baccarat
03-10-2002, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by dolphan39
Why bother ???? the Yanks had the WS locked up as soon as they got Giambi, Karsay and Wells.

I think the D Backs might get back to back. Giambi is overrated, and nobody has a better bullpen then Arizona.

I just bought a Randy Johnson jersey the other day. I realized football jerseys cost less than baseball jerseys.

I hate no team in the World more than the Yankees, and that includes the Jets. Although I like Steinburner's comments, that toad comment was too funny.:lol: :lol:

dolphan39
03-10-2002, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by booyeah_
nobody has a better bullpen then Arizona.

that's a joke I hope - you think Kim give up a HR everytime I pitch is better than the best pitcher in post season history and my favorite bball player #42 - and now the Yanks added Karsay and lost noone. just m/b kiddin' :rolleyes:

I hate no team in the World more than the Yankees, and that includes the Jets. How can anyone hate another team more than the Jets :confused: :evil:

baccarat
03-10-2002, 03:56 AM

that's a joke I hope - you think Kim give up a HR everytime I pitch is better than the best pitcher in post season history and my favorite bball player #42 - and now the Yanks added Karsay and lost noone. just m/b kiddin' :rolleyes:

Kim is a decent reliver, but it would be stupid to put him in during clutch times.

How can anyone hate another team more than the Jets :confused: :evil:

Trying living with a family of Yankee and Bills fans. I still make cracks to my uncle about Mickey Mantle.

inFINSible
03-10-2002, 08:56 AM

How can anyone hate another team more than the Jets :confused: :evil:

How can anyone like another team with the words New York in their name?:confused: ;)

iceblizzard69
03-10-2002, 11:07 AM

That isn't true. Injuries happen, the Cardinals, MARINERS, A's (they got a great young 1B in Carlos Pena to replace Giambi), Red Sox, D-Backs, etc can all compete with the dumb Yanks.

dolphan39
03-11-2002, 11:15 AM
that is why the Yanks are a lock...

I grew up in NY as a NY Nets fan and NY Isles fan and A's fan :eek: (til Reggie became a Yank). The fins are the aberration for my teams :D

miadphan13
03-11-2002, 02:13 PM
Baseball is wrong: man with four balls cannot walk. :lol: :lol: :lol:

dolphan39
03-11-2002, 02:15 PM
Baseball is wrong: man with four balls cannot walk. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :stooges:

baccarat
03-11-2002, 04:45 PM
If you're up to date with modern day baseball, you probably know Doug Mientkiewicz from the Twins. Well I read this interview in ESPN the magazine and it turns out he is a huge Dolphins fan.:cool: He sounds like a smart guy!

iceblizzard69
03-11-2002, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by booyeah_
If you're up to date with modern day baseball, you probably know Doug Mientkiewicz from the Twins. Well I read this interview in ESPN the magazine and it turns out he is a huge Dolphins fan.:cool: He sounds like a smart guy!

He is? Cool, I kinda liked him when I saw him field. He is a great fielder.

dolphan39
03-12-2002, 11:54 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/12061.htm

what an idiot :eek: :fire:

Ruben Rivera
:stupid:

iceblizzard69
03-12-2002, 05:03 PM
Derek Jeter is an asshole.

dolphan39
03-12-2002, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by iceblizzard69
Derek Jeter is an asshole. why because he said ""I can't comment on that," Jeter said. "

Mako
03-12-2002, 05:38 PM
Are you sure you mean bullpen and starting rotation? Arizona from top to bottom has the best starting 5 (Johnson and Schilling are two of the top 5 pitchers in the business, Helling is a former 20 game winner with the Rangers, Brian Anderson and Reynoso are consistant when healthy. The Bullpen is a big question mark to me. Mantei is always hurt, Kim has shown signs of being a big time player but still has a lot of room to grow yet, and Morgan and Swindells best days are behind them.

iceblizzard69
03-12-2002, 05:43 PM
Jeter has always been an asshole. And by the way, Seattle has the best bullpen. We have a decent closer in Sasaki, two of the best in Nelson and Rhodes, Ryan Franklin who is pretty good, and now Ryan Anderson, the best pitching prospect in the major league. He would start but there isn't any space in the rotation.

dolphan39
03-12-2002, 05:43 PM
[list=1]
Clemens
Mussina
Pettite
Wells
Hitchcock
[/list=1]

over anybody

iceblizzard69
03-12-2002, 05:44 PM
Another thing, I hate the Yankees more than I hate the Jets. Here is my list of most hated teams in sports (in order)

1. Yankees
2. Jets
3. Bills

dolphan39
03-12-2002, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by iceblizzard69
Here is my list of most hated teams in sports (in order)

1. Yankees
2. Jets
3. Bills

[list=1]
NJ Jets
Red Sox
NJ Jets
NY Rangers
NJ Jets
Bills
NJ Jets
Pats
NJ Jets
Raiders
NJ Jets
Ravens
NJ Jets
Celtics
NJ Jets
Orioles
[/list=1]

ice - note edits :o

iceblizzard69
03-12-2002, 06:27 PM
I can't agree with those baseball teams. They all hate the Yankees and play them 19 times a year, so you can't hate them. My second favorite baseball team is the one playing the Yankees on that day.

baccarat
03-12-2002, 06:42 PM
There is no lower form of life in a big-league clubhouse than a thief.

Strawberry, Alomar, Clemens, and the list goes on and on.(They're mostly Yankees)