PDA

View Full Version : getting a job!

SR 7
02-21-2010, 05:02 PM
anyone know anywehre hiring at all!??!!

I have been searching and applying for hte past 8 months!

PhinzN703
02-22-2010, 12:28 AM
You know all of the sites to go to right? Monster, Careerbuilder, Indeed, Simplyhired.......

Start there and also speak to a temp company when you can.

CedarPhin
02-22-2010, 04:08 AM
If you're in California, it's going to be tough sledding for awhile.

SR 7
02-22-2010, 04:29 AM
You know all of the sites to go to right? Monster, Careerbuilder, Indeed, Simplyhired.......

Start there and also speak to a temp company when you can.

whats a temp company?

never heard of indeed or simplyhired before. Thanks for the heads up!
should I just put a city and see what jobs are listed cuz I don't know what job or company to put in the search.

GoonBoss
02-22-2010, 06:34 AM
Where do you live? It's kinda hard to suggest somplace for you to work or that's hiring when it's the whole US that's a possibility! lol.

What kind of job?

Monster and career builder are good choices, as is your local paper's help wanted ads.

If you live in FL, I know there are some correctional officer positions that just opened up.

GoonBoss
02-22-2010, 06:36 AM
whats a temp company?

should I just put a city and see what jobs are listed cuz I don't know what job or company to put in the search.

A temp company would include somthing like LaborReady, Sedona Staffing, and those sorts of places.

Most of the online job sites you have the option of putting in just a city, or zip code, or whatever...Or by job.

Possum
02-22-2010, 06:44 AM
Where do you live? It's kinda hard to suggest somplace for you to work or that's hiring when it's the whole US that's a possibility! lol.

What kind of job?

Monster and career builder are good choices, as is your local paper's help wanted ads.

If you live in FL, I know there are some correctional officer positions that just opened up.:lol:.

fin-atic
02-22-2010, 08:55 AM
Where do you live?

Vaark
02-22-2010, 10:07 AM
Unfortunately, these days, getting a job is a full time job if you want to do it right. You need to be proactive and network where possible instead of waiting to respond to help wanted ads that hundreds or more are applying for. You're better served going out and generating opportunites yourself. You should objectively inventory your strengths, both functional and in context to desirable interpersonal traits and abilities that any company would value.... and determine how they specifically will benefit a company or companies. (the old "translating features into meaningful benefits" maxim). Always be mindful that a prospective emplolyer can care less what you need or want if they're not first convinced of what you can do for them! You need to communicate that in your cover letters as well as resumes, and of course when you're in front of a hiring decision maker selling yourself confidently and assertively since you'll only have once chance to make a first impression.

Identify geographic market boundries in which you are comfortable commuting daily. I don't know what what kind of specialized experience you are looking to leverage, so keeping it general, start a database of all the the headquarters, subsidiaries and/or branches you can identify operating within that commutable geographic market. The many ways to identify companies are through online and newspaper help wanted listing of organizations which are hiring in general, even if not for your qualifications, various online directories such as the geographic listings of hoovers.com, etc. Once you've data based such companies, start keeping track of their quarterly reports, especially the positive ones indicating increased revenues, profits, stock prices, announcements of new products/services etc.. You can seek them out through the companies' own websites, or start scanning the business sections of local newspapers which cover these companies. There's also a wealth of trading finance sites like yahoo finance and CBS market watch which will also provide links to a specific company's PR releases as well as other vital information. Also specifically look for "sales" or "account manager/exec" type job openings in companies or branch operations doing business in your area. Since sales is the lifeblood of any company, it's a decent indirect barometer of how a company is doing financially and a possible indicator that a company might soon be staffing-up in other functionalities.

Once you identify potential employers who might be hiring, identify the functional manager or director of your specialization as well as the HR Director. Customize a short persuasive personalized cover letter to accompany a resume which hopefully you tweaked to reflect the company's business, industry or needs to the functional hiring decision maker with a copy to the personnel individual. Specifically mention that you will take the liberty of callingl in several days to follow up or answer any questions regarding your qualifications. This probably won't work, but both the Functional and HR people will be less likely to immediately deep six your resume if they know they may end up looking unprepared if you call. Usually doesn't work, but better than not doing it. When you do call, make sure in advance you have the direct contact numbers or can be successfully routed through the main number so you can do it after hours without a secretary or other screener running interference. If or when you get through, at the least ask for referrals to other managers within that company or trading area they may be aware of who could be hiring and ask that they retain your resume should their own needs change. Make all this short and sweet and thank them for their time.

Hard times mandate even harder and smarter job seeking effort. It would be great if there were jobs out there that you qualified for, especially over all those who're competing against you. I know you'd like to learn of specific jobs, and indeed you might luck out, but the above advice is the equivalent of teaching you how to fish instead of serving up a fish dinner on your plate. Wishing you much success sprinkled with a bit of luck in your pursuit of employment. :up:

PS: just remember that the value of this advice is roughly equivalent to the price you paid for it. http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2010/08/119nqdw-1.jpg

Bobby Humphrey
02-22-2010, 04:12 PM
Have you considered selling cheap knock off watches from a trenchcoat in back alley ways?

PhinzN703
02-22-2010, 04:17 PM
whats a temp company?

Temp companies are places that help you look for jobs whether they are temporary or long-term. They basically act as your agent, helping you find jobs out in the world.

You'd just type in your zip code on those sites I mentioned. What's your career focus?

Tetragrammaton
02-22-2010, 06:01 PM
The military is always hiring.

SR 7
03-01-2010, 11:43 PM
Temp companies are places that help you look for jobs whether they are temporary or long-term. They basically act as your agent, helping you find jobs out in the world.

You'd just type in your zip code on those sites I mentioned. What's your career focus?

Business Management.

I have an open mind to any career path though.

SR 7
03-01-2010, 11:45 PM
Located in S. Cali in the LA county.

1 dol fan
03-02-2010, 12:29 AM
Did you check the 3rd street Sara Lee Bakery?

Bumpus
03-02-2010, 12:29 AM
:lol2:
... from Vaark to Bobby H.

I think that about covers the entire spectrum. :chuckle:

JPPT1974
03-02-2010, 12:40 AM
Be patient as the right job will come for you! Patience, patience, patience!