PDA

View Full Version : marlon wayans to play richard pryor in "biopic"

dreday
02-23-2010, 02:04 PM
link (http://hiphopwired.com/2010/02/23/marlon-wayans-to-play-richard-pryor-in-biopic-video/)

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif (http://hotchyx.com/)

Comedian/Actor Marlon Wayans has been tapped to star in the lead role as the legendary comedian Richard Pryor in the biopic “Richard Pryor: Is It Something I Said?”
Eddie Murphy, who was originally asked to play the role, gave the green light for Marlon to take the lead.
"You need to be lucky in life, but it's also what you do with your luck," Wayans said, "This is like an invitation to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro for me, and I've never been more excited in my life than when I got the role. I want to be in dramas, I want to produce, I want to write and I want to prove I can handle a role such as this one."

dreday
02-23-2010, 02:08 PM
i highly recommend that anyone who is interested in seeing marlon in a dramatic role watch "requiem for a dream." it's a very disturbing film to watch, and he more than delivered in his role as a man who slipped into drug addiction. it was a much different, demanding role than what I had previously seen of him in "mo' money"and some other lighter, comedic films.

PrepDogg
02-23-2010, 07:42 PM
I cant stand Marlon Wayans...he's annoying as hell

dreday
02-23-2010, 07:45 PM
I cant stand Marlon Wayans...he's annoying as hell

did he tap your girl?

BobDole
02-23-2010, 08:07 PM
he war great in requiem - but i don't know about him being able to fill pryor's shoes.

Locke
02-23-2010, 08:13 PM
Anyone else notice that primarily comedic actors tend to actually be really really good in other roles? Jim Carrey was amazing in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Will Ferrell was really good in Stranger Than Fiction. Adam Sandler blew my mind with his role in Reign Over Me. All things considered, I wouldn't be shocked at all if Marlon Wayans is actually a pretty actor in a serious role...

PrepDogg
02-23-2010, 08:39 PM
did he tap your girl?
No he stole my bike!

dreday
02-23-2010, 08:45 PM
No he stole my bike!

you lie again..you never really had a bike....

GoonBoss
02-23-2010, 09:46 PM
Isn't Richard Pryor owed better than not even the best of the Wayans?

I'm not black, but if I was black I'm not sure I'd want this chucklehead playing an icon like......

Richard Pryor.........

No, I don't think any Wayans needs to be playing him.

Dre, I assume you're black. Are you cool with this? **** dude...I'd consider this sort of an insult. I don't think Will Smith did that great a job with Ali either, so I'd guess I'm not the best one to judge. I'm old enough to have actually seen both of them so my view may be slanted.

dreday
02-23-2010, 10:23 PM
Isn't Richard Pryor owed better than not even the best of the Wayans?

I'm not black, but if I was black I'm not sure I'd want this chucklehead playing an icon like......

Richard Pryor.........

No, I don't think any Wayans needs to be playing him.

Dre, I assume you're black. Are you cool with this? **** dude...I'd consider this sort of an insult. I don't think Will Smith did that great a job with Ali either, so I'd guess I'm not the best one to judge. I'm old enough to have actually seen both of them so my view may be slanted.

yea,im black..thats me in the avatar...out of all the wayans…I always thought marlon was the one with the capacity to "act"…and as i mentioned…the movie "requium for a dream"more than proved that…because that movie…well, it lived up to its heartbreaking title…

its either him or mike epps who i think is whack,cant act, and totally unfunny...people thought also thought jamie foxx couldn't play ray charles.he got an oscar.

i will say, I really do get tired of hollywood recycling the same black actors…if i had the choice I rather see an upcoming guy play richard,rather than anyone else,unfortunately it appears they feel nobody else can fill the roll.also in my opinion, I don't think Marlon is that funny either,but he doesn't have to be…if he pulls it off it'll be because of the acting and directing.

and im glad eddie murphy pulled out at the last minute too..it just wouldnt be right IMO.hes "borrowed" to much from richard.

GoonBoss
02-23-2010, 10:35 PM
yea,im black..thats me in the avatar...out of all the wayans…I always thought marlon was the one with the capacity to "act"…and as i mentioned…the movie "requium for a dream"more than proved that…because that movie…well, it lived up to its heartbreaking title…

its either him or mike epps who i think is whack,cant act, and totally unfunny...people thought also thought jamie foxx couldn't play ray charles.he got an oscar.

i will say, I really do get tired of hollywood recycling the same black actors…if i had the choice I rather see an upcoming guy play richard,rather than anyone else,unfortunately it appears they feel nobody else can fill the roll.also in my opinion, I don't think Marlon is that funny either,but he doesn't have to be…if he pulls it off it'll be because of the acting and directing.

and im glad eddie murphy pulled out at the last minute too..it just wouldnt be right IMO.hes "borrowed" to much from richard.
Fair enough.

I didn't see Reqium For A Dream.....Nor did I see Jaimie Foxx doing Ray Charles. Frankly, I'm at a point now where it tires me to see actors playing great men that I have been a witness to. I understand the importance of it, but, at the same time, it tires me because you are trying to compress a man's legacy into a few hours.

I was alive during Richard Pryor's day. He was on the cutting edge of comics of his day, but like anything else, great deeds fade into acceptance.

I guess your take does sway me on one point.....There is no need to recycle "acceptable" black actors for roles.

DzakkH13
02-24-2010, 01:15 AM
Marlon was great in Requiem. That is a disturbing movie. Mostly because I think Jennifer Connely is so beautiful and it hurt to see her play her role so well. Anyways, Pryor was the King of stand up and I don't know how well Marlon will be able to potray him, but I hope he can. Pryor happens to be my favorite comedian.

d-day
02-24-2010, 03:50 AM
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

funniest.standup.concert.ever.

CedarPhin
02-24-2010, 04:51 AM
Pryor was an icon. So much classic stuff.

SpaceMountain16
02-24-2010, 02:55 PM
I'd think they'd get someone funny.