PDA

View Full Version : Whale kills trainer as horrified spectators watch

Ricky4Life
02-24-2010, 11:15 PM
"ORLANDO, Fla. A SeaWorld killer whale snatched a trainer off a poolside platform in its jaws Wednesday and thrashed the woman around underwater, killing her in front of a horrified audience. It marked the third time the animal had been involved in a human death."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/ap_on_re_us/us_seaworld_death

Troysif
02-24-2010, 11:19 PM
Yeah and they are surprised a KILLER whale KILLED someone.

JCane
02-24-2010, 11:54 PM
Yeah and they are surprised a KILLER whale KILLED someone.

Dude, it's only the third time.

:rolleyes2:

/sarcasm

Bumpus
02-25-2010, 12:26 AM
(...spits water...)

Huh? The THIRD time???

I wonder what orca taste like :eat:

CedarPhin
02-25-2010, 03:15 AM
Ouch.

Possum
02-25-2010, 03:36 AM
(...spits water...)

Huh? The THIRD time???

I wonder what orca taste like :eat:
like everything else.....chicken.

d-day
02-25-2010, 03:40 AM
***** should have made him his sammich

CedarPhin
02-25-2010, 05:07 AM
The trainer should have known the risk when they took the job.

GoonBoss
02-25-2010, 06:10 AM
I usually side with the animal in these cases. If you've ever seen one of those ****ers snatch a seal off an ice flow, you'll know they might get pissed off being forced to do tricks in captivity.

Possum
02-25-2010, 06:15 AM
:bobdole:

PhinzN703
02-25-2010, 09:54 AM
The trainer should have known the risk when they took the job.

She did. It isn't her fault her passion was to work with animals when it was the result of her dying.

We all need a little more compassion in stories like this. I understand feeling negative towards douches who shoot themselves in the eye but this sort of reality is different.

NY8123
02-25-2010, 10:24 AM
She did. It isn't her fault her passion was to work with animals when it was the result of her dying.

We all need a little more compassion in stories like this. I understand feeling negative towards douches who shoot themselves in the eye but this sort of reality is different.

I'd much rather die doing something I loved then wasting away from cancer or some other ****y disease that widdles you away to nothing. To me it was a good death, quick and more then likely not much pain and she loved what she was doing.

PhinzN703
02-25-2010, 11:45 AM
I'd much rather die doing something I loved then wasting away from cancer or some other ****y disease that widdles you away to nothing. To me it was a good death, quick and more then likely not much pain and she loved what she was doing.

A combination of drowning or being bitten to death by a whale in front of a crowd at SeaWorld almost takes the cake in terms of most horrific deaths I can think of even if she loved what she did.

dreday
02-25-2010, 02:49 PM
i don't think they should kill the whale.

maybe just keep him in a viewing tank area where people can see him. he should be a visual attraction not a performer.

or

set him free.

i understand the fact that domesticated whales don't usually survive long in the wild, but he's not doing so well in captivity so..... give him the chance to live and or die free...

dreday
02-25-2010, 02:50 PM
and where is PETA now?do they have 3 strikes for whales?

Mr_Freezetag
02-25-2010, 02:55 PM
A combination of drowning or being bitten to death by a whale in front of a crowd at SeaWorld almost takes the cake in terms of most horrific deaths I can think of even if she loved what she did.

hahaha 100% agree

PhinzN703
02-25-2010, 03:32 PM
i don't think they should kill the whale.

maybe just keep him in a viewing tank area where people can see him. he should be a visual attraction not a performer.

or

set him free.

i understand the fact that domesticated whales don't usually survive long in the wild, but he's not doing so well in captivity so..... give him the chance to live and or die free...

I don't think killing the whale would make any sense at all. It isn't the whale's fault all it's being used for is to entertain some idiot tourists. This seems to happen with any animal be it a whale, a dog, a tiger....

Animals do this, especially when they are specifically used to entertain others (Sea World, any zoo).

dreday
02-25-2010, 03:53 PM
i graduated boot camp in sd in 92' and myself and my dad went to sea world afterwards...i wonder if that was the same orca that was in the show.

EDIT:my bad i guess it was in orlando...

WISfinfan13
02-25-2010, 03:53 PM
Some one needs to get this kid on the phone...

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2010/02/20071129free_willy-1.jpg

WISfinfan13
02-25-2010, 04:34 PM
New Developments...The lady was pulled into the tank by her ponytail.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/florida/os-seaworld-orlando-shamu-injury-20100224,0,3041171.story?page=1

dreday
02-25-2010, 04:49 PM
I don't think killing the whale would make any sense at all. It isn't the whale's fault all it's being used for is to entertain some idiot tourists. This seems to happen with any animal be it a whale, a dog, a tiger....

Animals do this, especially when they are specifically used to entertain others (Sea World, any zoo).

please forgive me if I'm being insensitive to the death of the trainer,but somebody has to speak on behalf of the whale... put youself in his fin.hell he was ONLY living up to his name.

NY8123
02-25-2010, 04:50 PM

No way. The whole thing is over in minutes chances are she downed within two minutes. To the crowd yes very traumatic. But the death itself beats about 1000 others I can think of.

Slim
02-25-2010, 05:06 PM
i graduated boot camp in sd in 92' and myself and my dad went to sea world afterwards...i wonder if that was the same orca that was in the show.

EDIT:my bad i guess it was in orlando...

Wait a sec, you graduated from Bootcamp then immediately went to Sea World in celebration of your achievement?? That seems odd a bit... :lol:

dreday
02-25-2010, 05:16 PM
Wait a sec, you graduated from Bootcamp then immediately went to Sea World in celebration of your achievement?? That seems odd a bit... :lol:

i was waiting for somebody to catch that.:lol:

PhinzN703
02-25-2010, 06:30 PM
please forgive me if I'm being insensitive to the death of the trainer,but somebody has to speak on behalf of the whale... put youself in his fin.hell he was ONLY living up to his name.

If you had to blame anyone in this case you'd blame the humans for thinking it was safe enough to have this profession. Granted the likelihood of something bad happening is less than it is for things to be fine but all it takes is one moment of horror and it's all over.

No way. The whole thing is over in minutes chances are she downed within two minutes. To the crowd yes very traumatic. But the death itself beats about 1000 others I can think of.

I understand that but you make it seem like drowning in only two minutes is less painful than anything else. We all have different views on which death we'd "prefer" but to me drowning is the worst no matter how quick it is.

X-Pacolypse
02-25-2010, 07:26 PM

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

OMG. My ribs are hurting from laughing.

CedarPhin
02-25-2010, 09:38 PM
[1) Don't **** with wild animals, particularly in water. They've got a really big advantage there. In fact, just about every predator anywhere in the world has an advantage over a human UNLESS that human is packing. God gave the bear claws, the shark teeth, and the lion a really cool pounce; he gave mankind the ability to think up armor-piercing bullets.

2) No matter how hard you train these things, they are still wild animals and you might become either A) a plaything or B) a snack at a moment's notice no matter how often you cuddle with them.

3) It's called a "Killer" Whale not a "Fluffy" Whale for a reason.

4) In any facility where humans interact with big animals (zoo, seaworld, Giants Stadium, etc.) they should ALWAYS have someone standing by with a shotgun/spear gun.

CedarPhin
02-25-2010, 09:40 PM
Though, I don't understand why they still had that whale out there, since it had attacked and killed before.

X-Pacolypse
02-25-2010, 09:54 PM
Folks need to understand this it's a KILLER whale. What part of KILLER are people not grasping? No matter how long you have a whale or any wild animal in captivity, it will at some point revert back to it's natural instincts and sometimes bad things happen like this. The shock factor needs to be toned down from those in the media. Is it sad, and unfortunate? Of course it is. Bottom line, it's a KILLER whale and these animals are predators by nature.

GoonBoss
02-26-2010, 07:35 AM

I'm sorry she's dead, and she's certainly not in the class of duschebags that poke Tigers with sticks......But at the same time, it's the risks of the job. It's not like she's defending the nation, or jumping out of a helo to save people in the water............She trains killer whales to do tricks.

My compassion meter needle definitly moved, just not a great deal.

PhinzN703
02-26-2010, 09:52 AM
I'm sorry she's dead, and she's certainly not in the class of duschebags that poke Tigers with sticks......But at the same time, it's the risks of the job. It's not like she's defending the nation, or jumping out of a helo to save people in the water............She trains killer whales to do tricks.

My compassion meter needle definitly moved, just not a great deal.

I agree. Death affects me a lot in different ways for some reason. I read stories we have on here sometimes of people who do the most idiotic things that sometimes lead to their demise and I have to laugh b/c of how ridiculous it sounded.

But then you have a situation like the killer whale accident....I dunno, it's just tough to think about. I'm glad they aren't planning on putting the whale down though.