PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Father Faces Jail for Bringing Daughter to Church

BAMAPHIN 22
02-26-2010, 01:04 PM
Three-year-old Ela Reyes is caught in the middle of her feuding parents' divorce battle -- a private child custody fight that has erupted in a public firestorm over religion and the boundaries of faith and the law.

Joseph Reyes faces jail time for taking daughter, Ela, to a Catholic church in defiance of a temporary court order forbidding him from exposing the child to any religion but Judaism.

Hs estranged wife, Rebecca Reyes spoke exclusively to ABC News' Chris Cuomo about why she asked for the order and the jail time, in a case that is making national headlines.

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/TheLaw/rebecca-reyes-speaks-estranged-husband-joseph-jail-taking/story?id=9952082

NYCBillsFan
02-26-2010, 10:34 PM
Expect that girl to grow up and become either a Buddhist or Atheist.

HansMojo
02-27-2010, 03:27 AM
This is a good example to support the Biblical stance against mixed marriages... I'm not saying they never "work", but they are likely to create a lot of challenges that wouldn't otherwise be there.

NYCBillsFan
02-27-2010, 05:45 PM
This is a good example to support the Biblical stance against mixed marriages... I'm not saying they never "work", but they are likely to create a lot of challenges that wouldn't otherwise be there.

This is why I view all religious believers as brainwashed to varying degrees. There is no logic in the Religion model, just bickering of unprovable faiths.

HansMojo
03-02-2010, 01:14 AM
This is why I view all religious believers as brainwashed to varying degrees. There is no logic in the Religion model, just bickering of unprovable faiths.

Dark matter is necessary! Er...

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2010-03/spinning-disc-could-test-modified-newtonian-physics-and-kill-dark-matter-explanation

Goodbye dark matter...we hardly knew you. :bobdole:

We all put our faith in something...

NYCBillsFan
03-02-2010, 03:36 AM
Dark matter is necessary! Er...

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2010-03/spinning-disc-could-test-modified-newtonian-physics-and-kill-dark-matter-explanation

Goodbye dark matter...we hardly knew you. :bobdole:

We all put our faith in something...

And that PROVES the religious model how exactly? There are more than two sides to the possibility of existence. We're not talking a coin flip here.

HansMojo
03-02-2010, 05:42 AM
And that PROVES the religious model how exactly? There are more than two sides to the possibility of existence. We're not talking a coin flip here.
It doesn't prove the religion model, nor was my post intended to do so. I was responding to your insulting post that we are all brainwashed.

Frankly, I do not feel the need to prove my faith to you or anyone else and I have always stated that without your own religious experience, you will never understand religion. I do not believe God can be proven using the scientific method (IMHO, a weakness of science which must look for a material/natural explanation for everything).

However, I am happy to answer questions about the Bible as I understand it as well as about my faith.

The bottom line is, if believing dark matter answers your questions, er I mean not believing in dark matter anymore (because that is just such old news) or multiverses (or whatever), is more logical to you than believing in a Creator God, then have at it. God won't make any sense to you until you experience Him anyway. Christians just think it's kinda funny that your team thinks we are the ones that are brain washed and unreasonable when you guys know that what science believes today will likely be proven to be hooey tomorrow, yet it's believed today anyway and used to support other theories and schools of thought. Sounds super duper logical to me. :ponder: Anyway, where science stays grounded, I'm all for it. Where it has to invent fairy tales to support other fairy tales to keep the giant house of cards from totally collapsing, it is an embarrassment (IMHO)...which unfortunately is passed off to the sheeple as truth. Awesome.

NYCBillsFan
03-02-2010, 08:37 PM
It doesn't prove the religion model, nor was my post intended to do so. I was responding to your insulting post that we are all brainwashed.

Frankly, I do not feel the need to prove my faith to you or anyone else and I have always stated that without your own religious experience, you will never understand religion. I do not believe God can be proven using the scientific method (IMHO, a weakness of science which must look for a material/natural explanation for everything).

However, I am happy to answer questions about the Bible as I understand it as well as about my faith.

The bottom line is, if believing dark matter answers your questions, er I mean not believing in dark matter anymore (because that is just such old news) or multiverses (or whatever), is more logical to you than believing in a Creator God, then have at it. God won't make any sense to you until you experience Him anyway. Christians just think it's kinda funny that your team thinks we are the ones that are brain washed and unreasonable when you guys know that what science believes today will likely be proven to be hooey tomorrow, yet it's believed today anyway and used to support other theories and schools of thought. Sounds super duper logical to me. :ponder: Anyway, where science stays grounded, I'm all for it. Where it has to invent fairy tales to support other fairy tales to keep the giant house of cards from totally collapsing, it is an embarrassment (IMHO)...which unfortunately is passed off to the sheeple as truth. Awesome.

Never has irony been more crystalized than in the bolded sentence.

Science is the best guess. I'll openly admit that the scientific explanation continually changes. In 1,000 years, everything we think we know will be flipped on it's head as new information is gained. That's welcome by me. What's the harm in hypothesizing and testing to formulate theories? Are you so terrified as being viewed as ignorant because you don't have an answer? Guess what, we are all ignorant, some more than others. You and anyone else can choose to practice your faith in God. It's certainly your right, as is mine to not believe in God.

As far as being insulted, please don't take it that way, it's just the way I see it. If you are bothered by it, then maybe sub-consciously you know that I am right, but are too proud to admit it. I don't know, as I have know idea who you are personally. It has been my experience in the past that those that are offended by a non-believers opinions are doing more hoping and less thinking on the Universe and it's wonderment.

HansMojo
03-03-2010, 01:04 AM
Never has irony been more crystalized than in the bolded sentence.

Science is the best guess. I'll openly admit that the scientific explanation continually changes. In 1,000 years, everything we think we know will be flipped on it's head as new information is gained. That's welcome by me. What's the harm in hypothesizing and testing to formulate theories?

I don't think there is any harm in hypothesizing and testing to formulate theories. But passing these theories off as fact to the general public is disingenuous and believing them to be superior to Christianity is ignorant...IMHO. Just because scientists are willing to toss out hooey for the new hogwash every 5 minutes doesn't make it something I'd want to put my faith and support into.

But like I said, I appreciate and respect when science stays grounded. It's when it gets into theories like multiverses, magic space dust, alien DNA delivery, etc, that I just have to laugh.

Are you so terrified as being viewed as ignorant because you don't have an answer? Guess what, we are all ignorant, some more than others. You and anyone else can choose to practice your faith in God. It's certainly your right, as is mine to not believe in God.
Huh? If you've read many of my posts, you'd realize I am quick to admit that we all have a lot to learn. After all, you can't empty the ocean into a bucket. Thankfully, God isn't judging us based on our theological test scores.

As far as being insulted, please don't take it that way, it's just the way I see it. If you are bothered by it, then maybe sub-consciously you know that I am right, but are too proud to admit it. I don't know, as I have know idea who you are personally. It has been my experience in the past that those that are offended by a non-believers opinions are doing more hoping and less thinking on the Universe and it's wonderment.

:lol: I'm not offended by your opinions. I think they are quite humorous if you really want to know the truth. But to call another person or an entire group of people brainwashed is to level an insult. I was just calling it for what it was (an insult), not expressing my reaction to it (which was to laugh). But hey, I think you are brainwashed as much as you think I am, so we have that in common. :)

NYCBillsFan
03-03-2010, 10:03 PM
I don't think there is any harm in hypothesizing and testing to formulate theories. But passing these theories off as fact to the general public is disingenuous and believing them to be superior to Christianity is ignorant...IMHO. Just because scientists are willing to toss out hooey for the new hogwash every 5 minutes doesn't make it something I'd want to put my faith and support into.

But like I said, I appreciate and respect when science stays grounded. It's when it gets into theories like multiverses, magic space dust, alien DNA delivery, etc, that I just have to laugh.

Huh? If you've read many of my posts, you'd realize I am quick to admit that we all have a lot to learn. After all, you can't empty the ocean into a bucket. Thankfully, God isn't judging us based on our theological test scores.

:lol: I'm not offended by your opinions. I think they are quite humorous if you really want to know the truth. But to call another person or an entire group of people brainwashed is to level an insult. I was just calling it for what it was (an insult), not expressing my reaction to it (which was to laugh). But hey, I think you are brainwashed as much as you think I am, so we have that in common. :)

Well, at least our brains are clean.... :crazy:

Dolphan7
03-03-2010, 10:30 PM
I think any use of the word "brainwash" in today's culture is meant to offend those who it is directed at....otherwise there are other words that could be used. I personally don't think people are brainwashed, however I do think that our current education system in this country does a huge disservice to the people. Removing God from the classroom and the alternate possibilities of our purpose, meaning and existence on this planet simply because it isn't scientific pre-assumes that God does not exist....which it has no way of knowing or proving.....talk about a belief system. This system is pumping out an ever growing number of kids that have no concept of God as a possible answer...because of no other reason than that they have been forced to learn only the one sided science fiction being fed to them.

HansMojo
03-04-2010, 12:12 AM
Well, at least our brains are clean.... :crazy:

:hi5:

NYCBillsFan
03-04-2010, 01:43 AM
I think any use of the word "brainwash" in today's culture is meant to offend those who it is directed at....otherwise there are other words that could be used. I personally don't think people are brainwashed, however I do think that our current education system in this country does a huge disservice to the people. Removing God from the classroom and the alternate possibilities of our purpose, meaning and existence on this planet simply because it isn't scientific pre-assumes that God does not exist....which it has no way of knowing or proving.....talk about a belief system. This system is pumping out an ever growing number of kids that have no concept of God as a possible answer...because of no other reason than that they have been forced to learn only the one sided science fiction being fed to them.

Why is the term "brainwashed" considered offensive? I really am not trying to offend. I don't think people actively want to be brainwashed. I think that people at certain points in their life are highly suggestible. It's the people and things around them at these points that help form their opinions. They are not lesser humans because of it. They are searching for answers, sometimes they find the wrong ones. Hell, I'm a Bills fan, where is the right decision in that one?

Bumpus
03-09-2010, 06:58 PM
Um, defy a court order - go to jail.

Easy concept to grasp.

BAMAPHIN 22
04-15-2010, 11:44 PM
Judge Rules Joseph Reyes Can Take Daughter to Church

Joseph Reyes can now legally take his 3-year-old daughter to church, a Chicago Judge ruled yesterday.

Judge Renee Goldfarb had previously denied Joseph’s request to take his daughter, Ela, to church with him including on Easter Sunday. But in her Tuesday decision dissolving Joseph and Rebecca Reyes’ marriage, Goldfarb changed that ruling, saying that Joseph’s church visits did not harm the child.

Goldfarb believed Joseph’s argument that during church the toddler simply “waves at the other children, looks around and giggles” and wrote that it was in Ela’s best interest to give Joseph unrestricted visitation.

When the Reyes’ were married, Joseph converted to Judaism, and according to Rebecca Reyes, they agreed to raise Ela Jewish.
After the marriage fell apart, the couple became entrenched in a bitter divorce which escalated after Joseph had Ela baptized in November because he said he wanted to return to his Catholic roots. Rebecca then got a court order forbidding Joseph from exposing Ela to any religion other than Judaism, an order Joseph allegedly violated by taking Ela to church in February. Tuesday’s ruling voids that order.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/hearsay/2010/04/judge-rules-joseph-reyes-can-take-daughter-to-church.html

GoonBoss
04-15-2010, 11:52 PM
Nice when parents can get along and not have a child in the middle of it and suffering because it's parents are morons.