PDA

View Full Version : Carlton Mitchell- this year's surprise WR?

jim1
03-01-2010, 09:38 AM
Anyone seen this guy play or know something about him? I'm flying blind on this one, but a few months ago I was trying to figure out the profile of the recent surprise WRs- Brandon Marshall, Mike Sims Walker, Marquez Colston, Miles Austin, Malcolm Floyd, etc. Mitchell fits the bill and I'll be following this guy closely:

6-3
215 lbs
4.49 40 at combine
good production at USF
Accomplished track athlete, fastest player on USF football team
competes in long jump and 400 meter run

2009: Decided to forego his senior season and declared for the NFL Draft on Jan. 8, 2010 ... Played in 11 games and started 10 times ... Named to Phil Steele's All-BIG EAST Third Team ... Broke the USF records for receiving yards in a season with 706 in 2009 ... Set the USF career receiving standard yards against 1,648 ... Broke record in regular season finale at UConn ... Needed 32 less receptions than previous record holder Hugh Smith to break the career receiving yards mark ... Finishes his career fifth all-time in career receptions with 105 and fifth with nine touchdown passes ... Caught a pass in 18 straight games, the fifth-best mark ever ... Set a personal high with 706 receiving yards, despite sitting out two games with an ankle injury... His 706 yards is also a USF single season record ... Reeled in five catches of 50 yards or longer and eight catches of 25 yards or longer ... Has made eight catches of 50 or more yards in his career, the highest total ever at USF for plays of 50 yards or more among wide receivers and running backs ... Averaged 17.6 yards per catch, the fourth-best mark ever at USF ... Tied for the team lead with A.J. Love and Dontavia Bogan with four TD receptions ... Eclipsed 100 yards receiving on three occasions, which is tied for the most in school history ... Increased career total of 100-yard receiving games to five, another USF record ... Had 139 yards and two touchdowns against Syracuse ... Caught an 85-yard TD against the Orange, the second-longest reception in USF history ... Posted 130 yards against Western Kentucky and 132 yards and one TD against West Virginia ... Named CollegeFootballPerformance.com honorable mention WR of the week and to the BIG EAST honor roll on Oct. 4 ... Owns three of the top 11 longest receptions in school annals.

2008: Played in 13 games, starting three ... Had at least one reception in 10 games, including the final seven contests of the season ... Finished year with 28 receptions for 405 yards and one touchdown ... Averaged team-high 14.5 yards per reception ... Topped 60 yards receiving on four occasions ... Reeled in three or more catches on six occasions ... Single-game high 77 yards against Cincinnati ... Long reception of the year was a 47-yard juggling catch against the Bearcats ... Also had a 46-yard reception against UCF ... Ran the ball once for a gain of seven yards.

2007: A rising star with as much talent as any receiver to come through USF ... Set USF freshman records for receptions (37), receiving yards (537), and was one shy of tying the touchdown record of five ... The previous freshman record for receptions was 28 and yards was 469 by Johnny Peyton in 2004 ... Only receiver on the 2007 squad to record a 100-yard receiving game - he had two ... Went for 107 yards against UCF and 110 against Cincinnati ... Also second on the team in yards per reception at 14.5 ... Made SportsCenter's "Top-10 Plays" on the night of the West Virginia game (Sept. 28) after his 55-yard catch and score against the Mountaineers ... Mitchell tip-toed the sideline after catching the ball on a crossing route before easily scoring ... It was his first career TD ... Single-game high seven receptions against Cincinnati ... Also had four rushes for 17 yards ... An accomplished track athlete that is considered the fastest player on the football team ... Runs the 400 and competes in long jump for the USF track team.

2006: Impressed while he used his redshirt season.

GAITHER HIGH SCHOOL: 19th-best player in Tampa Bay area by St. Petersburg Times ... Ranked 64th best player in Florida by Rivals.com and 55th best receiver in the nation ... 87th-best player in Florida according to Scout.com ... Honorable mention all-county in Tampa Tribune ... Had nine catches for 207 yards as a junior ... Three-year letterman in football and basketball.

PERSONAL: Born April 6, 1988 in Gainesville, Fla. ... Son of Angela Mitchell and Carl Mitchell, who played pro basketball in Europe ... Mother Angela is the "cut-man" for boxer Antonio Tarver ... Has one sister ... Majoring in interdisciplinary social sciences.

His father played pro basketball and his mother is the "cut man" for Antonio Tarver- I'll bet that this dude is tough, too.

Here are some highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddm_AwNfUY8

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=37330&SPID=2981&DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=508864&Q_SEASON=2009

http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/WR/Carlton-Mitchell.php

ColonelJ
03-01-2010, 09:46 AM
Reminds me of Chris Chambers a little bit.

jim1
03-01-2010, 09:51 AM
Reminds me of Chris Chambers a little bit.

How so, from seeing him play?

ColonelJ
03-01-2010, 09:56 AM
How so, from seeing him play?

Yes. From seeing him run routes, catch, his physical geometry. That's not a knock. I mean it as a compliment. IMO Chris Chambers was a wonderful wideout, until he got popped. He made some spectacular catches for Fiedler until he got knocked out in Denver game. Then everything changed. Mitchell may have better luck, and he also seems more physical for taking pounding.

jim1
03-01-2010, 10:01 AM
Yes. From seeing him run routes, catch, his physical geometry. That's not a knock. I mean it as a compliment. IMO Chris Chambers was a wonderful wideout, until he got popped. He made some spectacular catches for Fiedler until he got knocked out in Denver game. Then everything changed. Mitchell may have better luck, and he also seems more physical for taking pounding.

As I said before I'm flying blind with Mitchell, but the pieces are adding up. He fits the profile, and I already want him. I could see 3rd or 4th rd for this guy. Imo it's yet another good reason to trade down in the 1st- I'd still like to get ILB Sean Lee in the 3rd, and an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick would be great.

ColonelJ
03-01-2010, 10:04 AM
As I said before I'm flying blind with Mitchell, but the pieces are adding up. He fits the profile, and I already want him. I could see 3rd or 4th rd for this guy. Imo it's yet another good reason to trade down in the 1st- I'd still like to get ILB Sean Lee in the 3rd, and an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick would be great.

I agree. I think there are some very worthy WR prospects, and other positions, in mid rounds for us, and Mitchell is certainly a solid option--a big target. Of course, there is always a possibility of trading one of those mid rounds for Boldin.

RealDriscoll
03-01-2010, 10:08 AM
Good size, great combine but inconsistent production.

Oraclepz
03-02-2010, 11:35 AM
thats my boy... im rooting for him to do well.. hes starting to get some recognition...which i dont like because i want to draft him in the mid rounds...

SQuinn17
03-02-2010, 12:41 PM
He's good but inconsistent. The drop he had at then
end of the usf/cincy he was one of the worst I've ever seen.

j-off-her-doll
03-02-2010, 01:52 PM
thats my boy... im rooting for him to do well.. hes starting to get some recognition...which i dont like because i want to draft him in the mid rounds...

I wouldn't worry too much. He'll probably be there in the 5th or 6th. If we really like him, we'll have a number of opportunities to grab him.

flsportsfan83
03-03-2010, 02:06 PM
no way he falls past the 3rd round

Oraclepz
03-03-2010, 02:34 PM
no way he falls past the 3rd round

i agree i think hes a 2nd-3rd round pick... If hes there in the 3rd we better scoop him up.. i think he will be good...

hooshoops
03-03-2010, 05:02 PM
there's upside there for sure and talent but you could see watching him run routes at the combine that he's very raw...

not someone i'd spend a top 4 round pick on personally

ckparrothead
03-03-2010, 06:12 PM
He's like a lot of USF prospects, sort of like Jason Pierre-Paul...physically talented but they don't play like they "get it". Nate Allen was like that for most of his time at USF but the light did turn on his senior year, was pleasantly surprised.

AccordOn13z
03-03-2010, 09:00 PM
Pass

39wildman
03-03-2010, 10:26 PM
he will be there arounde 5or 6 he didnt run well at combine

Oraclepz
03-04-2010, 12:57 PM
he will be there arounde 5or 6 he didnt run well at combine

who lied to you??? hes a 2nd-4th round pick. At 6'2 215lbs. He ran a 4.49 which is pretty good...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7VAx4di8D4&feature=related

finfan54
03-07-2010, 06:18 PM
I was amazed to see this guy listed at #40 on Draft Countdown.

Bryan Anderson 6-5 215 4.55

4 years production:
54 games-290 rec.-3,648 yds-28 TD's (10 his sophomore year) Central Michigan.

Wonder whats up with this white boy.

Bryan Anderson
Height: 6-5 | Weight: 215 | 40-Time: 4.55

Official Bio

Strengths:

Weaknesses:

Notes:

COMING SOON!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Career Statistics
Year GP REC YDS YPC TD
2005 RS - - - -
2006 14 73 867 11.9 5
2007 14 90 1,132 12.6 10
2008 12 63 865 13.7 6
2009 14 64 784 12.2 7
Totals 54 290 3,648 12.6 28

j-off-her-doll
03-07-2010, 06:22 PM
who lied to you??? hes a 2nd-4th round pick. At 6'2 215lbs. He ran a 4.49 which is pretty good...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7VAx4di8D4&feature=related

Not that you're biased or anything, but there are plenty of 6'2 WR's who are physically talented and accomplished very little. S. Long interests me - rather take a late flyer on him.

Oraclepz
03-07-2010, 07:18 PM
Not that you're biased or anything, but there are plenty of 6'2 WR's who are physically talented and accomplished very little. S. Long interests me - rather take a late flyer on him.

I never said anything about wanting him just because he plays for USF.. My point was that he had a good combine i dont know what people saw to make them say that he didnt.

hooshoops
03-07-2010, 08:21 PM
i think these two long and mitchell are guys that some team who has established legit wr cores can take a chance on somewhere in the mid rounds but i think for our sake we can't afford to take either one of them before round 6...

we need production not projects and i think that's exactly what both these guys are...raw players with upside

finfan54
03-07-2010, 09:49 PM
i think these two long and mitchell are guys that some team who has established legit wr cores can take a chance on somewhere in the mid rounds but i think for our sake we can't afford to take either one of them before round 6...

we need production not projects and i think that's exactly what both these guys are...raw players with upside

WR position is weird to me. Wes Welker is dangerous. We all know he was undrafted. So he was a project. But now is great. So we all want a big name who sounds great but even if he does give immediate production, they dont show up the next year for camp and start screamin for cash or they dont want to work for anything anymore.

I say find the guy with drive who has shown something but not neccessarily breaking records. There are plenty of WR in this draft who will end up good-great who are not even mentioned here at all.

I would rather check guys characters/intelligence/work ethic like:

Marcus Easley
Blair White
Taylor Price
Gilyard ect. ect. ect. and score in the long term because we know that we will get our moneys worth instead of a guy who has an agent who let his client last year sit out till game 6.

No way.