PDA

View Full Version : Jason Cole: Is Dez Bryant the biggest risk in the draft?

jim1
03-01-2010, 09:44 AM
INDIANAPOLIS – Former Oklahoma State wide receiver Dez Bryant is emerging as the favorite for the most dubious title in the NFL Draft.
Biggest risk.

Three sources with direct knowledge of Bryant from his days in college, where he missed the final 10 games last season because of lying to NCAA investigators, said Bryant’s antics were “consistently irresponsible.”

Bryant is expected to be a first-round pick in April. Some draftniks have predicted that he will go in the top 10, although the consensus appears to be the top 15. Whoever takes him does so at their own peril.

“I wouldn’t draft that kid unless I had someone to wake him up in the morning to get to meetings, someone to wake him up for practice and someone to wake him up for games,” one source said.

A second source said Bryant’s reputation was earned because he was consistently late to team activities. That included showing up late for games.

“We’re not just talking about being a little late for warmups, but like being late for the actual game,” a source said with a chuckle. “When you start to hear some of the stories of there, you go, ‘He did what?’ ”

“Dez isn’t evil, he’s not trying to hurt anybody. He’s just goofy,” another source said. “But it does make you think, ‘If he’s like this in college, what’s it going to be like when he gets paid?’ ”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-bryantrisk022810&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

ckparrothead
03-01-2010, 11:17 AM
He's never been the brightest or most mature guy, but I think the final quote says it all about him. He's not evil and he's not a bad person, he doesn't have issues with authority, etc. He's goofy and at times in college he has been immature.

I'll tell you what though, guys like Everson Griffen and even Brandon Graham fought maturity criticisms during their time in college, right around their sophomore year. The difference is that Graham had two more years to show he had grown up, Griffen had one more year, and Dez Bryant has essentially had no time to show he had grown up in this manner because he was suspended by the NCAA right at the start of the season. All of this stuff they're talking about almost assuredly happened in his freshman and sophomore seasons.

But he's not a Michael Crabtree. He's not a Brandon Marshall. He's not a Mike Williams.

You don't have to believe me, I'm just comfortable knowing he's different from those guys.

The other thing you have to keep in mind is this smells like the all too common exaggeration and innuendo that goes on with misinformation season in full swing. There are a bunch of teams, perhaps even the Dolphins, hoping he falls to their pick. It happens every year at this time. Remember, last year at this time Vontae Davis was a Grade A ******** that didn't like to practice hard, had been kicked out of practices, didn't have a work ethic, etc. Of course, he gets to the pros and his "vices" include staying after practice, pestering top players for pointers, and studying film.

jim1
03-01-2010, 11:28 AM
He's never been the brightest or most mature guy, but I think the final quote says it all about him. He's not evil and he's not a bad person, he doesn't have issues with authority, etc. He's goofy and at times in college he has been immature.

I'll tell you what though, guys like Everson Griffen and even Brandon Graham fought maturity criticisms during their time in college, right around their sophomore year. The difference is that Graham had two more years to show he had grown up, Griffen had one more year, and Dez Bryant has essentially had no time to show he had grown up in this manner because he was suspended by the NCAA right at the start of the season. All of this stuff they're talking about almost assuredly happened in his freshman and sophomore seasons.

But he's not a Michael Crabtree. He's not a Brandon Marshall. He's not a Mike Williams.

You don't have to believe me, I'm just comfortable knowing he's different from those guys.

The other thing you have to keep in mind is this smells like the all too common exaggeration and innuendo that goes on with misinformation season in full swing. There are a bunch of teams, perhaps even the Dolphins, hoping he falls to their pick. It happens every year at this time. Remember, last year at this time Vontae Davis was a Grade A ******** that didn't like to practice hard, had been kicked out of practices, didn't have a work ethic, etc. Of course, he gets to the pros and his "vices" include staying after practice, pestering top players for pointers, and studying film.

Vontae was a pleasant surprise to me in that regard. What concerned me the most were the stupid penalties and then laughing about them, and maybe even moreso the interviews. The guy sounded so stupid, almost mildly retarded, that it concerned me. I'll concede that it seems that my concerns were overblown.

In a perfect world the concerns of Bryant's character are overblown and he'll fall to our pick. Any thoughts on Carlton Mitchell? You're from that neck of the woods if I recall correctly.

thejetssuck
03-01-2010, 11:29 AM
Agree with you CK. And if he is there at 12, I WANT HIM!!!! End of story.

SnakeoilSeller
03-01-2010, 11:29 AM
Ck, I agree that rumors swirl, but where there is smoke there can be fire, no? Every player in the Draft is a risk. As DolFans we know that all too well. Whether it is just bad luck injury risk (Yatil Green) or talent risk (Ted Ginn, Jason Allen). WR's seem to carry more prima donna risk than most. How do you know he is not Brandon Marshall, Mike Williams or Michael Crabtree? And even if his attitude is bad, Is he still worth the risk? Most Draft Niks had Rey Maulaugua as a 1st round grade, obviously his drinking rep (which was well deserved) pushed him into the second. I think in the end, his talent still may be worth the risk. But I would put an asterisk next to it. If he falls to #12 and we are still there, I would draft him, but I would also look to pick up a Vet like Boldin or Holt or someone who can show him how the game is supposed to be played, practiced and prepped for.

ckparrothead
03-01-2010, 11:32 AM
Ck, I agree that rumors swirl, but where there is smoke there can be fire, no? Every player in the Draft is a risk. As DolFans we know that all too well. Whether it is just bad luck injury risk (Yatil Green) or talent risk (Ted Ginn, Jason Allen). WR's seem to carry more prima donna risk than most. How do you know he is not Brandon Marshall, Mike Williams or Michael Crabtree? And even if his attitude is bad, Is he still worth the risk? Most Draft Niks had Rey Maulaugua as a 1st round grade, obviously his drinking rep (which was well deserved) pushed him into the second. I think in the end, his talent still may be worth the risk. But I would put an asterisk next to it. If he falls to #12 and we are still there, I would draft him, but I would also look to pick up a Vet like Boldin or Holt or someone who can show him how the game is supposed to be played, practiced and prepped for.

Which means, what exactly? Where's the fire on Vontae Davis?

Where there's smoke, there are mirrors at least as often as there are fires.

thejetssuck
03-01-2010, 11:32 AM
Vontae was a pleasant surprise fro me in that regard. What concerned me the most were the stupid penalties and then laughing about them, and maybe even moreso the interviews. The guy sounded so stupid, almost mildly retarded, that it concerned me. I'll concede that it seems that my concerns were overblown.

In a perfect world the concerns of Bryant's character are overblown and he'll fall to our pick. Any thoughts on Carlton Mitchell? You're from that neck of the woods if I recall correctly.

Yes, I'll just throw more wood on the fire and let everyone know that I heard Dez Bryant is loaded to the gills on steroids, is a rapist and cheats on his taxes and STILL beats up little kids and takes their lunch money.:hump:

ckparrothead
03-01-2010, 11:34 AM
Vontae was a pleasant surprise to me in that regard. What concerned me the most were the stupid penalties and then laughing about them, and maybe even moreso the interviews. The guy sounded so stupid, almost mildly retarded, that it concerned me. I'll concede that it seems that my concerns were overblown.

Carlton is the model of inconsistency. He's obviously very physically gifted but he's a dice roll, and likely to be overvalued in this draft because the WRs are so weak they generally all lack either speed, character, hands, or size...or some combination thereof.

LikeUntoGod
03-01-2010, 12:04 PM
A 1st round WR is always a risk.

IMO, considering our needs on defense, Dez Bryant is a risk we really do not need.

SnakeoilSeller
03-01-2010, 12:34 PM
Which means, what exactly? Where's the fire on Vontae Davis?

Where there's smoke, there are mirrors at least as often as there are fires.

I am not disagreeing with you, I just pointed out that sometimes (as with Rey Malauluga) there can be some truth to the rumors. More I wanted to know how are you sure he is not Brandon Marshall. I still think it is a risk worth taking. And even if he is like Brandon Marshall, the risk may be worth the talent.

JT-forpresident
03-01-2010, 01:41 PM
i don't think he'll be late to a game Bill Parcells is going to watch... while he gets paid about 300 000 $ per game ... :rolleyes:

A childhood friend of mine with whom i played football for a long time has been a Dez Bryant all his life ... i remember in high school, i used to make sure he had all his gear before going on the road for a game, and now he's in his senior year at Université Laval, and he still hasn't changed. This guy is most likely heading to the CFL even though he's un-organized and very often late, why ? because he's talented and he's devoted as **** to the football programs he played for.

An un-organized person has nothing to do with a troublesome or a character guy... Two completely different animals, if that's the only knock on Dez Bryant, i'd select him in a heartbeat at #12

ticophin
03-01-2010, 02:02 PM
In this day and age, you would think Parcells, Sparano, and Ireland would notice if a guy is a potential wreck, or he may just be a disorganized person, who happens to live for football and is talented and focused enough, to warrant a draft pick (let alone a 1st rounder). Other more cocky coaches and GMs (like Saban and co.), think part of their talent is to change a player into what THEY think is a model citizen-athlete...Thats when bad draftees come along.

rent this space
03-01-2010, 02:13 PM

imo, this is exactly what is going on. now, we just need to start some negative rumor about Berry close enough to the draft so there's no time to investigate

hooshoops
03-01-2010, 02:26 PM
lol...i'm not worried about these rumors...sounds like smokescreen stuff to me...

carlton mitchell has talent and upside imo but you can tell just from watching him run routes at the combine drills that he's extremely raw and gonna take time to develop...

not sure i see a year 1 even contributor there

AccordOn13z
03-01-2010, 03:13 PM
Rolando McClain is turning out to be a risk as well. Opting out of all the athletic combine activities. Either he has an injury to hide or he is trying to hurt his draft stock so that he goes to a good team (YEAH RIGHT!). He's also been outspoken about wanting to play in a 3-4 rather than the 4-3 (perfect for us). Dez's recent activity will definitely hurt his draft stock and I'm not sure BP is gonna want to take that kind of a risk on a WR.

UPDATE: WOW! I just saw Dez speak at press conference and he sounds dumber than a sack of rocks! I thought V. Davis sounded funny. But then again NFL games don't have a debate portion to the game so it doesn't matter how well they speak or how they sound.

skipp2myloo13
03-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Ignorant people will see a thug, who got kicked off his team (they prolly wont even know why), they will see him not caring about football, being a prema donna.
Wise people will see one of the better wide receiver prospects in years-with the build of Andre Jonhson, Speed of Marshal and the physicality of a Micheal Irvin (in a good way). A steal anywhere outside the top 5.
What is our Front Office, we will see. Unfort, i doubt they will have a chance because i dont forsee he making it to us.

ZachThomas76
03-01-2010, 04:42 PM
ya, sounds to me like some teams who really need a wr are trying to get Dez to slide to them. i just love the played out games that occur at the draft, and how people fall for it. put the tape on. has Dez hit a woman, driven drunk, been in bar fights? he lied about something that wasnt a violation to begin with. the suspension he got was a complete joke.

GeauxFinns3705
03-01-2010, 05:35 PM
i don't think he'll be late to a game Bill Parcells is going to watch... while he gets paid about 300 000 $ per game ... :rolleyes:

A childhood friend of mine with whom i played football for a long time has been a Dez Bryant all his life ... i remember in high school, i used to make sure he had all his gear before going on the road for a game, and now he's in his senior year at Université Laval, and he still hasn't changed. This guy is most likely heading to the CFL even though he's un-organized and very often late, why ? because he's talented and he's devoted as **** to the football programs he played for.

An un-organized person has nothing to do with a troublesome or a character guy... Two completely different animals, if that's the only knock on Dez Bryant, i'd select him in a heartbeat at #12

BS!

He didn't get suspended for the year because he was "goofy". He got suspended because he is dishonest. He lied, and appearently, when he got the opportunity to correct the record for investigators, he lied again. Go back to what Deion Sanders said about this kid.

His immaturity may be the root of this character flaw. It may indeed be correctable if he gets paid enough money and has the right kind of mentorship.

But what do we know about him? As talented as he was, he wasnt' able to stay on the field due to CHARACTER ISSUEs...not goofy issues, not being late. His first decision as a professional was to take Eugene Parker as an agent (same agent as Michael Crabtree). You people that think being late isn't an issue, you wanna bet he'll be late to training camp? I guarantee it. Its the game EP plays. It how he works.

To say that DB is just a victim of "youth and immaturity" is to perpetuate a lie. This is nonsense on stilts.

GeauxFinns3705
03-01-2010, 05:37 PM
imo, this is exactly what is going on. now, we just need to start some negative rumor about Berry close enough to the draft so there's no time to investigate

ROFL. Yes, Bryant has been a choirboy and some NFL team started a rumor that got him suspended for the last 9 games or so of the season so he would slip in the draft. What nonsense!

GeauxFinns3705
03-01-2010, 05:42 PM
ya, sounds to me like some teams who really need a wr are trying to get Dez to slide to them. i just love the played out games that occur at the draft, and how people fall for it. put the tape on. has Dez hit a woman, driven drunk, been in bar fights? he lied about something that wasnt a violation to begin with. the suspension he got was a complete joke.

He knew the rules. Why lie? Just be honest...unless of course, he has something to hide. Unless, his first instinct is to lie. Unless this issue has more to do with his character than it does about the "violation".

If we were to draft him, I wonder what are all of you people are going to be saying when we are playing our second preseason game and Dez Bryant still isnt' signed?

I think its a fair question to you DB supporters....Are you guys willing to have him (our first round pick) sit out all of training camp? Is his talent good enough for you guys to forgive that? Its not for me.

skipp2myloo13
03-01-2010, 06:08 PM
Geux, since when is wanting financial security ever been a character flaw. By signing the agent who he feels will get him the most money he is being responsible, IMO. Parker had Crabtree last year, but that had way more to do with Crabtree's inability to swallow the fact that the Raiders are dumb. I've read nothing about Dez that says he is worried about himself more than his team. He always appears to work hard and have a real desire for the game. Have you ever lied? i know i have. Have i ever been in a gang fight, bar fight, gun possesion, funded dog fighting rings, drugs, beat my wife, no. Those are things, out of the ordinary, things i would consider bad for my players. I dont reward or condone lying, but if you cant understand personal faults and immaturities in a college kid, than i think you are in for a lot of disappointment in life.

ZachThomas76
03-01-2010, 06:15 PM
He lied about something that wasnt even a violation to begin with. He was suspended for 9 games because the NCAA is made up of crusty retards. Am I happy he lied? No. Is it as big of a deal as some are making it? Not IMO it isnt.

General Tso
03-01-2010, 10:22 PM
He didn't get suspended for the year because he was "goofy". He got suspended because he is dishonest. He lied, and appearently, when he got the opportunity to correct the record for investigators, he lied again. Go back to what Deion Sanders said about this kid.

Wait a minute! A college kid that lied? That no good SOB! I just don't think I could sleep at night knowing we had a player that lied.

"he is dishonest"? Everyone that tells a lie "is dishonest"? If that's the case, I guess everyone "is dishonest" then...

GeauxFinns3705
03-01-2010, 11:04 PM
Geux, since when is wanting financial security ever been a character flaw. By signing the agent who he feels will get him the most money he is being responsible, IMO. Parker had Crabtree last year, but that had way more to do with Crabtree's inability to swallow the fact that the Raiders are dumb. I've read nothing about Dez that says he is worried about himself more than his team. He always appears to work hard and have a real desire for the game. Have you ever lied? i know i have. Have i ever been in a gang fight, bar fight, gun possesion, funded dog fighting rings, drugs, beat my wife, no. Those are things, out of the ordinary, things i would consider bad for my players. I dont reward or condone lying, but if you cant understand personal faults and immaturities in a college kid, than i think you are in for a lot of disappointment in life.

I understand them well. Its just that I am not sure I want to use the first overall pick in the draft on a player that has VERY RECENTLY had character flaws exposed.

Its business really. Just like DB picking EP as his agent. If we ONLY needed a WR, I might say roll the dice, get him in camp, probably last week in August or first of September, and bring him along slowly and maybe by the end of the season, because the rest of our team is strong, he could be a difference maker for us.

But its not the case. We need a NT, we need OLB, we need ILB, we need a TE, and a S. We need our first round pick to be a good player and a solid, mature person. We need him to be more Ronnie Brown and less Michael Crabtree.

And if you think that MC was Parker's only holdout, you need to do some serious homework. EP routinely has players out of camp.

GeauxFinns3705
03-01-2010, 11:06 PM
He lied about something that wasnt even a violation to begin with. He was suspended for 9 games because the NCAA is made up of crusty retards. Am I happy he lied? No. Is it as big of a deal as some are making it? Not IMO it isnt.

He was given the chance to come clean, and he continued to lie. Which means not only is a liar, but hes a fool as well. Maybe we pick him and all of a sudden he has an epiphany and he cleans up his act and he reminds us all of Andre Johnson. Or maybe he does what he's been doing. Showing up late, lying about things HE deems unimportant, etc, etc...and those character flaws end up costing us money and talent. If hes not on the field, hes no good to us.

GeauxFinns3705
03-01-2010, 11:09 PM
Wait a minute! A college kid that lied? That no good SOB! I just don't think I could sleep at night knowing we had a player that lied.

"he is dishonest"? Everyone that tells a lie "is dishonest"? If that's the case, I guess everyone "is dishonest" then...

How is it that of all the top ranked college players coming out in this draft, only one didn't have the character to finish the season. As we like to say, "ITS NOT THAT DIFFICULT". But, he thinks hes better than the team, more important and rules don't apply to him.

How does that make you sleep at night?

Buff
03-01-2010, 11:16 PM
I don't want Dez Bryant. Too many red flags IMO. Charachter flaws, lies, late to meetings, unorganised........yep, just what Miami need. Regardles of wether or not he is the best in his position in the draft, can miami really gamble on him at 12 when there are so many other quality players who would step in a start at the other positions that we really need help at...OLB/ILB/S/NT/DE.

ZachThomas76
03-01-2010, 11:22 PM
obviously some are convinced of their point of view. thats fine. ill take Dez Bryant at 12 and be fine with it. hes going to be a big time wr in the league IMO, and god knows we need that. i think some are really blowing things out of proportion in terms of his character issues. he wont be the last prospect to lie about something stupid, happens every year. didnt BJ Raji lie about smoking herb? on and on it goes. pretty sure if hes anywhere close to Andre Johnson on the field, these "character issues" will be forgotten rather quickly. also, the Phins wont contend for a SB this year, so while i wouldnt like a holdout, its also part of the business.

ZachThomas76
03-01-2010, 11:27 PM
I don't want Dez Bryant. Too many red flags IMO. Charachter flaws, lies, late to meetings, unorganised........yep, just what Miami need. Regardles of wether or not he is the best in his position in the draft, can miami really gamble on him at 12 when there are so many other quality players who would step in a start at the other positions that we really need help at...OLB/ILB/S/NT/DE.

Ill assume you and Geaux want Randy Starks released asap then? since you place such high regard on character?

GeauxFinns3705
03-01-2010, 11:30 PM
Ill assume you and Geaux want Randy Starks released asap then? since you place such high regard on character?

Whatever.

Randy Starks can play in this league. Randy Starks has proven he will be in camp, at practice, and to my knowledge, not suspended for any discernible amount of time.

Can you say those things about Dez? I assume then you see the difference in the situations and the folly of your logic.

Buff
03-01-2010, 11:33 PM

No, not at all. But h'e's a rookie & he needs to make the absolute best possible impression on all managers & coaches. Unfortunately he was either to immature, stupid or selfish and did what he did.

However, for a rookie to have these issues, before a ball is snapped, is obviously an issue which needs to be looked at. Suspended for 9 games for lying is the start. For every Randy Starks there is a Pacman Jones. Remember him?

Charachter issues are AS IMPORTANT as ability, and to succeed, you need to be pretty damn good at both.

JMO

ZachThomas76
03-01-2010, 11:38 PM
I dont understand your response. Randy Starks is much older, and presumably much more mature than Dez Bryant. If you dont want Starks off your team for his actions, why wont you look past Bryants transgressions? assuming I read your response correctly.

flynryan15
03-02-2010, 12:55 AM
First off let's stop with this Dez is just a college kid, he is a 21 year old young man or young adult if you will. we live in a country were we have 17 and 18 year old young men and women defending our freedom, so calling a 21yr old a kid is just crazy talk.

Now before you flame me realize I played college football so I do have a pretty good idea about what I am about to type. You have to try REAL damn hard to be late on game day! Forget the fact that you are so jacked up to play and nervous you can't wait to get to the stadium, but there is literally dozens of fail safes in place to get you there. What amazes me is he was consistently late to every type of team function possible. Usually you make that mistake 1 time because the second time you run till you puke and run some more, do up downs till your arms are jello, and crunches till you can barely stand up straight.

Dez is a classic example of a football player that has received special treatment for his talents dating back to his PeeWee days. It gets worse in high school with lack of discipline, skipping class and wheels getting greased. Certain things still go on in college and are overlooked , but generally speaking the biggest PROBLEM player still makes his team functions on time.

There are just to many red flags here to overlook! Trust me it is not like the NCAA said "you lied you are suspended!" They warn you over and over again, we know what you did just tell us. He didn't and he got suspended. Do I think 10 games is harsh? Yes, but it wasn't like he didn't have multiple times to come clean. The fact that they stuck to their decision through the appeal process tells me there was cause, because I know the extent they go through before they suspend you if there wasn't a crime, substance abuse, academic, or by law violation. Not to mention the suspension hasn't hurt him, he is still going to be the first WR taken and still rake in the cash. Hell it might have saved him a season ending injury.

My problem with Dez is he continues to make the wrong decisions, even after the suspension. There is no way he has a hamstring injury, this is just agent crap! He should be foaming at the mouth to get out and prove " Hey I made a mistake, I have grown up and I am your guy." The Dez to Crabtree comparison is bad. Crabtree held out to be paid, but before that he was a model player through college. He showed that because he showed up in shape and made an impact from his first game! Do you know how hard that is for a rookie WR? A better comparison is Dez and that fat tackle Cincy drafted. Held out played games showed up out of shape and spent the year on IR.

He is obviously immature, but he is not a kid. Buyer beware 99.9% of the time giving an immature young man 15-20 million guaranteed doesn't make him grow up it makes him worse! Not to mention aligning him self with Deion!!! How many times do we hear Deion telling players on NFL Network " You go get paid!"? You think he won't be telling Dez that from the minute he is drafted? Bottom line is the kid is immature, can't think for himself, and feels he isn't held to the same standards as his teamates.

General Tso
03-02-2010, 03:19 AM
How is it that of all the top ranked college players coming out in this draft, only one didn't have the character to finish the season. As we like to say, "ITS NOT THAT DIFFICULT". But, he thinks hes better than the team, more important and rules don't apply to him.

How does that make you sleep at night?

This "character" talk is hilarious. If you've never lied when you shouldn't have, especially when you're young, then good for you. You're one in a million.

You are right though. I won't sleep very good if we draft Dez Bryant at #12... I'll be too excited to sleep.

General Tso
03-02-2010, 03:35 AM
He is obviously immature, but he is not a kid.

Many people 30 or over will consider a 20-21 year old a "kid" because there's an enormous amount of maturity that often takes place throughout your twenties. That maturity often comes via learning from your failures.

Bryant told a lie. He was punished severely. Seems like a good opportunity for a young man to see the errors of his ways and take that, along with his incredible talents, with him to the next level... hopefully as the #1 WR for the Miami Dolphins.

General Tso
03-02-2010, 03:42 AM

A superstar 21 year old athlete that told one lie a few times, was late to meetings and wasn't organized? Noooooooooooooooooooo!

Those "red flag" "character flaws" have no place on the Miami Dolphins.

skipp2myloo13
03-02-2010, 08:05 AM
I read something on Yahoo that said Dez Bryant doesnt brush his teeth. It has to be true-i read it on the internet! Can we, The storied Miami Dolphins, continue to be the classy oganization if one of our picks, a guy we will forced to pay millions of dollars, doesnt brush his teeth. I think not! The bottom line is all of the reports ive read on the internet say that he has a character issue, but since i cant really logicly think things out i figure he is a lot worse that he is. I am aware that most NFL players are sub par huma beings morally, but i dont care because this demon doenst brush his teeth. and i read that his agent doesnt either. No way MIA. stay away!

BARF
03-02-2010, 08:28 AM
i say we still trade down draft dan williams, we could pick up a wr in the second, and of course we will get another pick if we were to trade down

outlawd2u
03-02-2010, 10:56 AM
First off let's stop with this Dez is just a college kid, he is a 21 year old young man or young adult if you will. we live in a country were we have 17 and 18 year old young men and women defending our freedom, so calling a 21yr old a kid is just crazy talk.

You're way off base here. Implying that a 21 year old is a resposible adult is "crazy talk" IMO. People by that age are generally not very mature at all and make terrible decisions. Also that military reference doesn't help your argument. I was an MP(Military Police) in the Army and believe me there are MANY MANY young soldiers who do the dumbest things and get kicked out of the military or are just constantly in trouble. It's easier and takes less hard work to get into the military than it does to get in the NFL. I'm not condoning Dez Bryant's actions but those actions aren't exactly shocking for someone his age either.

flynryan15
03-02-2010, 02:52 PM
You're way off base here. Implying that a 21 year old is a resposible adult is "crazy talk" IMO. People by that age are generally not very mature at all and make terrible decisions. Also that military reference doesn't help your argument. I was an MP(Military Police) in the Army and believe me there are MANY MANY young soldiers who do the dumbest things and get kicked out of the military or are just constantly in trouble. It's easier and takes less hard work to get into the military than it does to get in the NFL. I'm not condoning Dez Bryant's actions but those actions aren't exactly shocking for someone his age either.

I respect your opinion and view point seeing how you are former Army. Perhaps my analogy wasn't the best, but never the less drawing from my experience playing through college something doesn't seem right with Dez. Theamates take up slack they come by your dorm or apartment and get you there. Dez just never got it the team concept that is. The biggest problem I have noticed with special players like Dez is that they tend to be surrounded by inablers. Coaches, teachers, etc that fail to break this attitude early on. It fed the beast and even to present time Dez is still making bad decisions. All I am saying is giving this kid 20 mil wull make him way worse before it makes him better.

GeauxFinns3705
03-02-2010, 03:09 PM
I dont understand your response. Randy Starks is much older, and presumably much more mature than Dez Bryant. If you dont want Starks off your team for his actions, why wont you look past Bryants transgressions? assuming I read your response correctly.

If you can't see the difference between a moderate investment that we've made in a six year veteran and a huge investment it will take to corral DB, then I don't know what else to tell you. Assuming you've thought about these issues....

GeauxFinns3705
03-02-2010, 03:11 PM
This "character" talk is hilarious. If you've never lied when you shouldn't have, especially when you're young, then good for you. You're one in a million.

You are right though. I won't sleep very good if we draft Dez Bryant at #12... I'll be too excited to sleep.

Good. I am glad that having a first round WR (when we have numberous other needs) holding out gets you too excited to sleep. Sounds like a man-crush to me.

GeauxFinns3705
03-02-2010, 03:12 PM
A superstar 21 year old athlete that told one lie a few times, was late to meetings and wasn't organized? Noooooooooooooooooooo!

Those "red flag" "character flaws" have no place on the Miami Dolphins.

ROFL...this crush is awesome.

Denial--its not just a River in Egypt!

GeauxFinns3705
03-02-2010, 03:16 PM

You guys are very "forgiving", at best, bordering on naive.

It may not be rare for young college athletes to lie and be late. It is extremely rare for college athletes' actions to get them booted off the football team. How often does that actually happen?

I would call it rare to the point of "shocking."

outlawd2u
03-02-2010, 03:28 PM
You guys are very "forgiving", at best, bordering on naive.

It may not be rare for young college athletes to lie and be late. It is extremely rare for college athletes' actions to get them booted off the football team. How often does that actually happen?

I would call it rare to the point of "shocking."

I don't consider it shocking but anyway, the guy got booted off the team for lying about something stupid. I see everyone's point, he isn't very mature and makes some bad decisions I'm not disputing that in any way but being young and high profile has something to do with it and I don't think it necesarily means he will always act this way. It's also not like the guy is beating women, getting DUI's, or getting popped for drugs or weapons. He doesn't seem like a thug is my point, just an immature kid which people tend to grow out of and isn't all that uncommon.

#1dolphinsfan
03-02-2010, 03:44 PM
Dez Bryant seems to be going through the same thing Vontae Davis went through last year i remember all these type of threads about Davis and how bad his Caracter was and the coaching staff like him enough to draft him and i think if Bryant falls to us at 12 like vontae fell to us at 25 i think we take him. I will take you to a college and show you the juniors and i am willing to bet over half of them arnt very mature. He will be fine in the NFL i dont remember seeing anything about him ever getting in trouble with the law.

flynryan15
03-02-2010, 03:56 PM
Dez Bryant seems to be going through the same thing Vontae Davis went through last year i remember all these type of threads about Davis and how bad his Caracter was and the coaching staff like him enough to draft him and i think if Bryant falls to us at 12 like vontae fell to us at 25 i think we take him. I will take you to a college and show you the juniors and i am willing to bet over half of them arnt very mature. He will be fine in the NFL i dont remember seeing anything about him ever getting in trouble with the law.

Just remember Vontae has only made it one year there are still many to come, not to mention he was benched after the second New England game for a conduct issue. I am on the fence with Dez, he really is a special talent I just think a lot is being excused for lack of WR depth in the draft. Just Buyer Beware is all!

ZachThomas76
03-02-2010, 04:06 PM
If you can't see the difference between a moderate investment that we've made in a six year veteran and a huge investment it will take to corral DB, then I don't know what else to tell you. Assuming you've thought about these issues....

Ill be honest, it seems like you just dont like DB. So its about money to you then? Randy Starks makes a moderate salary, so he can be a thug? You cant have it both ways. Either you place a big importance on character, or you dont. So if you are going to hold DB to a certain standard, do it for everyone. We obviously arent going to agree on this issue, so lets just leave it at that. For a team starving for a legit threat at wr, Id certainly strongly consider DB at 12 if he's there. I think this is all for not anyway, as I doubt he will be.

I'll be watching the offseason very carefully though. Any Dolphin who steps out of line, Ill expect to see you all over them.

GeauxFinns3705
03-03-2010, 01:27 AM
Ill be honest, it seems like you just dont like DB. So its about money to you then? Randy Starks makes a moderate salary, so he can be a thug? You cant have it both ways. Either you place a big importance on character, or you dont. So if you are going to hold DB to a certain standard, do it for everyone. We obviously arent going to agree on this issue, so lets just leave it at that. For a team starving for a legit threat at wr, Id certainly strongly consider DB at 12 if he's there. I think this is all for not anyway, as I doubt he will be.

I'll be watching the offseason very carefully though. Any Dolphin who steps out of line, Ill expect to see you all over them.

I don't really care what you "expect to see" from me.

I am consistent. Does every situation warrant the same reaction? Of course not. Only a fool does that and only a fool expects others to do that.

I might accept a certain amount of risk...with a veteran who has proven he can play. Or with a lower round, lower priced draft pick.

This isn't difficult to understand...unless you have a man-crush on someone.

General Tso
03-03-2010, 03:36 AM
Ego fuels Dez Bryant's suspension (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hill/091030&sportCat=ncf)

The Interrogation of Dez Bryant (http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/03/02/the-interrogation-of-dez-bryant/)

Lord Of Miami
03-04-2010, 04:23 AM
The the differences between Vontae Davis and Dez Bryant is none of Vontae's teammates were calling him lazy and unmotivated and were wondering if he even really liked playing football.....and to top it off Dez is not very smart to start with.

Vontae is a smart guy that just comes off as a goofy dum dum but he's not.Dez is a dumb guy that seems dumb and is unmotivated.Big differences in the two guys.

I said Dez wasn't a Bill Parcells kind of guy before it became national news " in football land" and now you know why.

DearbornDolfan
03-04-2010, 06:59 AM
The the differences between Vontae Davis and Dez Bryant is none of Vontae's teammates were calling him lazy and unmotivated and were wondering if he even really liked playing football

Some scumbag writer types out an article and it becomes truth? I suppose you believe the stories about Dan Marino and his coke habit?

.....and to top it off Dez is not very smart to start with.

So he's going to go into a complex spread system and succeed by being stupid? Get real and stop hating.