PDA

View Full Version : Tons of Combine News

FinAtic8480
03-01-2010, 02:06 PM
We are reporting here the Dolphins interviewed Florida ILB Brandon Spikes, nose tackle Cam Thomas, outside linebacker Ricky Sapp, ILB Micah Johnson, and Georgia Tech DE Derrick Morgan since we last reported interviews on Saturday.
The Morgan interview is interesting in that most scouts have him as a 4-3 DE and many don't think he can convert to a 3-4 OLB. Perhaps the Dolphins aren't convinced of that and are continuing their due diligence on the player.

NT prospects to watch -- Dan Williams, Terrence Cody, Cam Thomas (who has spoken to the Dolphins here in Indy), Torell Troup, Linval Joseph, Al Woods, Jay Ross, Aleric Mullins, Brandon Deadrick, Jeff Owens, and Art Jones.

OLB/DE converts -- Many of the same drills important for the DLine are important for these players as well. Watch many of the DEs prospects, such as Graham, Jerry Hughes, and most of the guys who played with their footwork if they work out with the linebackers.

DE/OLB prospects to watch: Derrick Morgan (who has spoken to the Dolphins here and will work out with LBs), Brandon Graham, Sergio Kindle, Jerry Hughes, Jason Pierre-Paul, Thaddeus Gibson, Everson Griffen, Brandon Lang, Koa Misi, Ricky Sapp (who has also spoken to Dolphins), George Selvie, Cameron Sheffield, Antonio Coleman, Jason Worilds, Willie Young, Greg Hardy, and Eric Norwood. Watch for how many undersized DE prospects decide to work out with the LBs.

ILB prospects to watch -- Rolando McClain (who won't do much here), Sean Weatherspoon (who spoke at length with the Dolphins at the Senior Bowl), Micah Johnson (who has spoken to the Dolphins here), Brandon Spikes (also spoken to Dolphins), Donald Butler, Jamar Chaney, AJ Edds, and Sean Lee.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2010/03/another-big-day-ahead-at-indy-combine.html

Fins917
03-01-2010, 02:09 PM
give us witherspoon

dougfinsfan72
03-01-2010, 02:49 PM
Micah Johnson if he stays healthy will be the best or second best inside linebacker from this draft in a few years.

dougfinsfan72
03-01-2010, 02:52 PM
give us witherspoon
Inside Linebackers who impress me are:
1. Micah Johnson
2. Spikes
3. Witherspoon

I would be happy with any of those 3 in the first or second round

hooshoops
03-01-2010, 03:38 PM
Micah Johnson if he stays healthy will be the best or second best inside linebacker from this draft in a few years.

not at 5 second 40...he may go undrafted with that kind of #

j-off-her-doll
03-01-2010, 03:50 PM
not at 5 second 40...he may go undrafted with that kind of #

I don't think he's fully recovered, but that is one slow 40. If McClain weren't "injured," I see him running in the 4.8's.

SamIam
03-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Spoon to me looks like an impact type of player.

hooshoops
03-01-2010, 04:00 PM
I don't think he's fully recovered, but that is one slow 40. If McClain weren't "injured," I see him running in the 4.8's.

micah's a fool to run if he's not healthy...he just killed his stock barring a significant like 2 plus tenths pickup at his pro day

the stupid nfl network only showed 1 lb drill of the 2nd group of dlinemen so i didn't get to see derrick morgan but in 1 lb drill and the one i saw he looked good...

they spend way too much time interviewing team personnel and players in the damn middle of the drills...

ZachThomas76
03-01-2010, 04:04 PM
ya. im gettin pissed off too. they havent spent much time really showing the conversion guys. but hey, i got to see Tim Tebow in all his glory...................

2413fanphins
03-01-2010, 04:08 PM
Inside Linebackers who impress me are:
1. Micah Johnson
2. Spikes
3. Witherspoon

I would be happy with any of those 3 in the first or second round

I was under the impression spoon was an Outside backer.

ZachThomas76
03-01-2010, 04:09 PM
has Earl Thomas weighed in yet? i got home late last night, and on NFL Network they had him listed at 208. where did they get this from?

j-off-her-doll
03-01-2010, 04:11 PM
micah's a fool to run if he's not healthy...he just killed his stock barring a significant like 2 plus tenths pickup at his pro day

the stupid nfl network only showed 1 lb drill of the 2nd group of dlinemen so i didn't get to see derrick morgan but in 1 lb drill and the one i saw he looked good...

they spend way too much time interviewing team personnel and players in the damn middle of the drills...

I was going to ask. See anything from Kindle, Griffen, or Graham?

hooshoops
03-01-2010, 04:17 PM
I was going to ask. See anything from Kindle, Griffen, or Graham?

the tape on griffen is enough for me with that official 4.66 40 to say that he's DEFINITELY an olb convert prospect...

as for the drills kindle looked i thought ok he was explosive but you could see in when he was asked to change directions and come out of his pedal stiffness there...

jerry hughes was beautiful in lb drills i mean backpedal like a db almost just looked great...stock up

graham got hurt (tweaked a hammy in his 2nd 40) no lb drills workouts which sucked...

other guys who i thought looked solid...thadeus gibson, kao misi, jason worilds, derrick morgan (for what i could see), cameron sheffield (other than that slow 40)

guys that looked bad to me when asked to stand up brandon lang, austen lane (also ran real slow), carlos dunlap STIFF, greg hardy

intriguing guys for me were dexter davis and jammie kirlew

hooshoops
03-01-2010, 04:21 PM
i forgot ricky sapp...i'm not in love with him but i think he could be a wolb convert target for us...

j-off-her-doll
03-01-2010, 04:23 PM
the tape on griffen is enough for me with that official 4.66 40 to say that he's DEFINITELY an olb convert prospect...

as for the drills kindle looked i thought ok he was explosive but you could see in when he was asked to change directions and come out of his pedal stiffness there...

jerry hughes was beautiful in lb drills i mean backpedal like a db almost just looked great...stock up

graham got hurt (tweaked a hammy in his 2nd 40) no lb drills workouts which sucked...

other guys who i thought looked solid...thadeus gibson, kao misi, jason worilds, derrick morgan (for what i could see), cameron sheffield (other than that slow 40)

guys that looked bad to me when asked to stand up brandon lang, austen lane (also ran real slow), carlos dunlap STIFF

intriguing guys for me were dexter davis and jammie kirlew

Have a feeling that Hughes won't make it out of the 1st. I'd love to get him in the 2nd, but I'm not expecting it.

hooshoops
03-01-2010, 04:25 PM
Have a feeling that Hughes won't make it out of the 1st. I'd love to get him in the 2nd, but I'm not expecting it.

i don't see how hughes does...really...can you imagine if we pulled a griffen and a hughes back to back...damn

my top 2 standup olb convert prospects both in awareness and change of direction skills plus playmaking ability

some pull there...i'm coming around on derrick morgan also

ZachThomas76
03-01-2010, 04:27 PM
the Phins better do something at OLB. what do you guys make of this talk of the Phins perhaps viewing Dansby at OLB? i could see in certain situations/packages but not full time.

#1dolphinsfan
03-01-2010, 04:29 PM
Give me Micah Johnson and i dont care who else we draft the kid is going to be a stud if he can stay healthy

hooshoops
03-01-2010, 04:30 PM
yeah i don't see dansby full time either as an olb but i do think us viewing him as a solb and ilb will mean we will be willing to spend more to get his services...

i really do

ZachThomas76
03-01-2010, 04:30 PM
Not if a 5 second 40 is a true indicator.

ZachThomas76
03-01-2010, 04:31 PM
btw I just heard Mayock say Earl Thomas is 190-195 so I knew the 208 I saw NFL Network list him at last night had to be off.

Tunaphish429
03-01-2010, 04:32 PM
Well we all knew our biggest needs..

Any news on what WRs they are talking to if any?

ZachThomas76
03-01-2010, 04:36 PM
Well we all knew our biggest needs..

Any news on what WRs they are talking to if any?

well some on here still like our current wr core. :bobdole: what im concerned with is no NT talk. if Dan Williams slips by Denver, its a very interesting situation.

hooshoops
03-01-2010, 04:41 PM
oops...i forgot to say that antonio coleman didn't look too hot to me in lb drills...stood up way too much in his pedal...didn't see lb awareness

ZachThomas76
03-01-2010, 04:46 PM
Brandon Spikes looks slow.

AccordOn13z
03-01-2010, 05:03 PM
I've been watching the LBs go through drills at the combine (I know its boring but I had some time on my hands). Some points I noticed:

-Dolphins scout was not only at the LB drills but they stayed until the very last drills were completed.

-McClain is missing just like he said.

-Brandon Spikes looks impressive and powerful running through the drills.

-Pat Angerer out of Iowa reminds me a lot of Zach Thomas, its scary. He is undersized but looks powerful. He makes quick cuts and he seems very agile. Might be a sleeper or late rounder.

-Sean Weatherspoon looks NFL ready. He is the most well rounded of all the LBs as well as the most fluid in ALL the drills. He displayed natural leadership after a series of drills he gathered all the LBs together for a quick huddle and some encouraging words. He also posted 2nd in the bench press with 34 reps and his broad jump is not posted yet but it was impressive.

With McClain's doubts I would look for Weatherspoon to move ahead of him in some team's draft boards. I would not mind the fins drafting him but at what expense. 1st round? Hmmmmm...

#1dolphinsfan
03-01-2010, 05:07 PM
btw I just heard Mayock say Earl Thomas is 190-195 so I knew the 208 I saw NFL Network list him at last night had to be off.
that is what i was expecting Thomas to come in as i thought 208 was pretty big for his frame

state06
03-01-2010, 05:24 PM
I've been watching the LBs go through drills at the combine (I know its boring but I had some time on my hands). Some points I noticed:

-Dolphins scout was not only at the LB drills but they stayed until the very last drills were completed.

-McClain is missing just like he said.

-Brandon Spikes looks impressive and powerful running through the drills.

-Pat Angerer out of Iowa reminds me a lot of Zach Thomas, its scary. He is undersized but looks powerful. He makes quick cuts and he seems very agile. Might be a sleeper or late rounder.

-Sean Weatherspoon looks NFL ready. He is the most well rounded of all the LBs as well as the most fluid in ALL the drills. He displayed natural leadership after a series of drills he gathered all the LBs together for a quick huddle and some encouraging words. He also posted 2nd in the bench press with 34 reps and his broad jump is not posted yet but it was impressive.

With McClain's doubts I would look for Weatherspoon to move ahead of him in some team's draft boards. I would not mind the fins drafting him but at what expense. 1st round? Hmmmmm...

spikes isnt impressing me but you cant deny his college output. Angerer would be a great pick up in rd 4 for us. He may remind you of ZT because NFL net. said Angerer reminds them of a poor mans Zach Thomas :up:

I love Weatherspoon and has been tearing it up since the senior bowl. i ahve also been high on Graham and Griffen for a while now. In addition to Thomas and Williams, Kindle's stock is on the rise again. these players should all be on our rd 1 big board and can pretty much guarantee if we were to trade down that one of these would be our pick.

AccordOn13z
03-01-2010, 05:30 PM
spikes isnt impressing me but you cant deny his college output. Angerer would be a great pick up in rd 4 for us. He may remind you of ZT because NFL net. said Angerer reminds them of a poor mans Zach Thomas :up:

HA! I didn't even hear them!!! LOL I was watching it on my PC with the speakers off. But it just proves resemblance. I agree that he might be a good 4th or 5th round pick. Spikes had trouble changing direction but he did have great bursts.

hooshoops
03-01-2010, 05:55 PM
i like his teammate better...edds is smooth in his transition and pedal and a lock down cover guy...good hips

2413fanphins
03-01-2010, 06:15 PM
i watched every game iowa played.

I like edds better than angerer.

but angerer could be a steal in a later round, he's a gamer.

MarSly
03-01-2010, 07:15 PM
Edds benched 16 reps while Angerer had 26....I'd take Angerer any day over Edds...Much stronger in Angerer and there speed is about the same...

skipp2myloo13
03-01-2010, 08:00 PM
21 reps for Earl Thomas, better than Berry and only 4 less than Mays. Thomas is looking really good at 12.

ZachThomas76
03-01-2010, 08:01 PM
21 reps for Earl Thomas, better than Berry and only 4 less than Mays. Thomas is looking really good at 12.

what did he weigh?

skipp2myloo13
03-01-2010, 08:27 PM
i hear 208 as per his official.
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/earl-thomas?id=496745

ZachThomas76
03-01-2010, 08:29 PM
i hear 208 as per his official.
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/earl-thomas?id=496745

ok, now im confused again. i saw 208 last night as well. then today Mayock says he's in the 195 range. have the db's officially weighed in already? i assume they have if they lifted.

j-off-her-doll
03-01-2010, 10:07 PM

To be fair, Thomas has shorter arms than Berry. Still, 21 is more than I expected. Tomorrow's the big day, though.